[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Okay, I've finally caught up through 82 pages! (No, that's not true. I started reading comments after episode 4 or 5) I loved reading all of these comments about this Wonderful and creative show that just sticks in my mind for days on end. I created an account just to show my appreciation for this drama, the actors, writer and director and all the fellow viewers (I hope I am doing this right and it ends up as a separate comment and not a reply to a previous post).

So, it seems as if people have moved on past the shipping phase and being on delulu island (never heard these terms before but I love it!). But I have become a SERIOUS shipper from the time Jian started running to DH. Then I was over the moon when DH carried grandma and called Jian a 'good person'. I was so happy when DH said 'did the pretty girl' come by then I became ecstatic later when they both smiled/giggled at the bar. Was cheering wildly when DH went to confront then actually fought with KI. Felt awww when Jian couldn't give DH the slippers at the subway station but felt much better when she stood waiting for him to finally give him those slippers. I could go on and on (the glances, the waiting, those expressions) but even only these moments were enough to put me right smack onto delulu island and never want to leave.

I'm conflicted over what I will be okay with for an ending. I know what I want but it doesn't seem plausible unless the writer and PD take a risk. I just want a satisfying ending not a dud. With the reputation of the PD and the writer I don't think it will be a dud (let's hope).

I was very confused with the bribe money/gift certificates. It looked like real Korean money but I guess the gift certificates look like money? When they kept calling the bribe GC I was so confused. Maybe you all discussed this in those early posts I didn't get to read.

DH hitting/pushing Jian at the end of ep 10 broke me. I know why Jian did it but I didn't think DH would actually physically do something like that to Jian. It moves the story along but I kept thinking back to when Jian asked DH if he ever hit a woman and what it would feel like. Up until he pushed her (I'll think of it as a push as someone mentioned upstairs) I was thinking that DH might actually grab her and give her a great big hug. Not a good thing if the photographer got a picture of them hugging but it felt like that might happen.

Okay, so for my crazy thought on a totally wild ending:

Since the PD said this will be a comedy my wild thought on the last scene will be DH teaching Jian how to drive. She is driving the little van used by the brothers. DH tells her to stop but Jian goes through the yellow light while turning the van. The van goes on two wheels. We see the brothers screaming. Through the front window both DH and Jian have a great big grin.

• Like 8
  • LOL 3

8 hours ago, jimb said:

A major mystery is why Hong's Mother allowed Rogue Director Kim to stay in the company after she regained control of Genius and repaid the Stepmother.

She could have done her Son a lot more good by getting rid of Kim than by making her son hate her.

Lol wrong thread chingu? I feel like this belongs in ‘Hate to Love you’

• LOL 8

46 minutes ago, popai5 said:

Okay, I've finally caught up through 82 pages! (No, that's not true. I started reading comments after episode 4 or 5) I loved reading all of these comments about this Wonderful and creative show that just sticks in my mind for days on end. I created an account just to show my appreciation for this drama, the actors, writer and director and all the fellow viewers (I hope I am doing this right and it ends up as a separate comment and not a reply to a previous post).

So, it seems as if people have moved on past the shipping phase and being on delulu island (never heard these terms before but I love it!). But I have become a SERIOUS shipper from the time Jian started running to DH. Then I was over the moon when DH carried grandma and called Jian a 'good person'. I was so happy when DH said 'did the pretty girl' come by then I became ecstatic later when they both smiled/giggled at the bar. Was cheering wildly when DH went to confront then actually fought with KI. Felt awww when Jian couldn't give DH the slippers at the subway station but felt much better when she stood waiting for him to finally give him those slippers. I could go on and on (the glances, the waiting, those expressions) but even only these moments were enough to put me right smack onto delulu island and never want to leave.

Welcome to the thread!  So happy you created an account for this show, and to have a new resident in the island.  I don't know if many have moved on, but I am going down with this ship come hell or high water.  :D

51 minutes ago, popai5 said:

I'm conflicted over what I will be okay with for an ending. I know what I want but it doesn't seem plausible unless the writer and PD take a risk. I just want a satisfying ending not a dud. With the reputation of the PD and the writer I don't think it will be a dud (let's hope).

DH hitting/pushing Jian at the end of ep 10 broke me. I know why Jian did it but I didn't think DH would actually physically do something like that to Jian. It moves the story along but I kept thinking back to when Jian asked DH if he ever hit a woman and what it would feel like. Up until he pushed her (I'll think of it as a push as someone mentioned upstairs) I was thinking that DH might actually grab her and give her a great big hug. Not a good thing if the photographer got a picture of them hugging but it felt like that might happen.

You're not the first person to think that a show of physical affection would happen at the end of episode 10.  Some even thought he would pull her in for a kiss.  I myself expected that he would totally smack her after her relentless goading and smack her he did.  I did not see that as violence though.  And he obviously did not hurt her physically, although there is no denying that his actions crushed her emotionally.

I so hope the writer and director take a risk with the ending. Please no vanilla ending!

• Like 8
  • LOL 2

3 hours ago, Sakari said:

Why not? I don't see Do Hoon as a love interest of Ji An's. Which twentyish young woman would buy a (prospective) boyfriend slippers? Isn't that what you buy your father to wear at work?

You're right.  And since I still think that she likes him not as a father figure, she probably should have bought him a pair of expensive underwear instead.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 15

IMG_20180425_071727.jpg

IMG_20180425_005642.jpg

IMG_20180425_071943.jpg

I like all the walking scene in this drama, the scenery and the mood in each shoot rather felt gloomy i have some peace feeling linger with lonesome and hope, in the end of the step, there're might have a small piece and happines for all of character.

JIANaa eventhough at the end you might disappear, still you are little hero who never been forget.

Love you girl

imageproxy.gif

Edited by Yana Mujay
Please use spoiler tag when posting more than 3 images. Thanks.
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

You're right.  And since I still think that she likes him not as a father figure, she probably should have bought him a pair of expensive underwear instead.  :lol:

Nice adviceB)

Ctto

-_-

Some people says, Jian tried to find a father figure dear.:expressionless:

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

You're right.  And since I still think that she likes him not as a father figure, she probably should have bought him a pair of expensive underwear instead.  

Maybe a g string? The more non fatherly it is the better.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

I was just backreading this thread and I find it quite interesting how the matter of the age gap pops up time and time again in some comments. Even in other sites that comment on this series, they mention the age gap of PDH and LJA, as if it were some handicap that the series needs to surmount.  This was something i also encountered with other KDramas in the past, where the male and female leads had an age gap, even with Goblin. And for some reason, it seems to be more of an issue if the man is the one who’s older.  I don’t know but it might be a cultural thing.

I have seen films and read books wherein the man was older than the woman. However, it wasn’t an issue because it was within the context of the story. It was meant to emphasize a point in the plot.  And I think that can be the crux of the problem some people have with May-December romances.  If it’s used without proper context, then there is the danger of it merely being used for prurient purposes (e.g. emphasizing dominance of one over the other, highlighting the virility of the male character, etc.). 

I don’t see that here. In fact, even with the highly popular Goblin (which I also watched and loved but for reasons entirely different from my love of My Ajusshi), their age gap had a purpose.  Gong Yoo’s character was a man who was cursed with immortality until he finds his bride, the one woman whom he will love but also the only person who can free him from that curse by killing him. And that bride had been Kim Go Eun’s character, born more than a thousand years after him. However, in the series, they only really admitted to their feelings when she was about to kill him. All throughout their interaction when she was still a 19-year-old high school girl, their relationship was more of bickering friends, though he clearly already loved her because he already knew who she was.  But they only actually got involved in a romantic relationship (with physical intimacy) when she was already a 29-year-old woman.  In this case, the premise of the story begs for the age gap. 

In My Ajusshi, Lee Sun Kyun’s Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji Eun’s Lee Ji An had to be from different generations because to me, it’s supposed to highlight that differences in age or background or circumstances aren’t hindrances to forming a connection or bond between two like-minded individuals, regardless if that connection may be fraternal or romantic. 

I personally know this for a fact because I have relationships with people of different ages and backgrounds too.  When I was young, I couldn’t imagine being friends with someone not of my age and people who were more than five years older than me then already seemed ancient.  But when I became and adult, I realized that as you grow older, the matter of age becomes insignificant in establishing and forming relationships. At the end of the day, it’s the person you’re establishing a relationship with that matters. :)

• Like 18

2 hours ago, popai5 said:

So, it seems as if people have moved on past the shipping phase and being on delulu island (never heard these terms before but I love it!). But I have become a SERIOUS shipper from the time Jian started running to DH.

Chingu welcome to soompi and aboard the ship to delululu island where we have all you can eat pineapple bread and all you can drink Soju. Trust me when I say I have definetly not moved past anything. Just quietly awaiting for this week’s new eps to fuel my delulu mind :)

• Like 2
  • LOL 8

52 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

:lol: ahahahaa @sadiesmith! This is gold! Can you imagine Dong Hoon’s face? And Ji An will tell him in her deadpan voice and poker face that she did it so if ever Joon Young gets him killed, he’ll die with dignity. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

56 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

I was just backreading this thread and I find it quite interesting how the matter of the age gap pops up time and time again in some comments. Even in other sites that comment on this series, they mention the age gap of PDH and LJA, as if it were some handicap that the series needs to surmount.  This was something i also encountered with other KDramas in the past, where the male and female leads had an age gap, even with Goblin. And for some reason, it seems to be more of an issue if the man is the one who’s older.  I don’t know but it might be a cultural thing.

Yes, it's more of an issue when the man is older.  Has anyone forgotten the 2013 sensation of a drama My Love from the Stars?  The story would have worked just the same if they had cast an older actor and a younger actress as the leads, because he was supposed to be hundreds of years old.  But had they done that, not only would it not have been a massive hit, it might even have raised eyebrows over the age-gap.  They did not need to cast an older female lead either, but they did, and everyone ended up loving it.  I don't know how much criticism Goblin received.  Didn't seem to much to me.  So my conclusion is this, if you want to play it safe, just cast the most gorgeous actors/actresses for the parts.

48 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

:lol: ahahahaa @sadiesmith! This is gold! Can you imagine Dong Hoon’s face? And Ji An will tell him in her deadpan voice and poker face that she did it so if ever Joon Young gets him killed, he’ll die with dignity. 

Best comment ever!  And this is where the floodgate will open.  Because then he'll ask her how she knew about his hung-up with expensive underwear, and she'll have to confess that she heard him over the wire-tap rousing himself from nearly dying in the snow.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

51 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

In My Ajusshi, Lee Sun Kyun’s Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji Eun’s Lee Ji An had to be from different generations because to me, it’s supposed to highlight that differences in age or background or circumstances aren’t hindrances to forming a connection or bond between two like-minded individuals, regardless if that connection may be fraternal or romantic. 

Love your analysis on the age gap. I agree that the purpose of the age difference isn’t to spark controversy or romanticize it but to show a key point; that younger people can go through adult experiences that not even their elder counterparts have undergone. Thus paving the way to the theme that age doesn’t define life experience. It doesn’t determine whether you are mature or any other associations with age and expectations with what comes with it. DHs brother is older but has given the responsibilities that come with being the eldest to DH. There are definetly more examples in the show but cannot think of any at the moment.

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Welcome to the thread!  So happy you created an account for this show, and to have a new resident in the island.  I don't know if many have moved on, but I am going down with this ship come hell or high water.  :D

Haha you won’t be alone unnie!! I’ll be going down with you :tongue: 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, akhenaten said:

When IU was named as the lead along LSK, the drama received a lot of negative feedbacks due to the 18 years age gap. Tbh, I don't see the problem because PDH and LJA are adults. LJA may be is young but probably wiser due to her life experiences and most importantly, she is an adult. The problem is that, some people tend to view the older man is a predator. If that man is prying on a teenager, yes, that could be a problem but definitely not when the girl is above legal age.

With regards to Goblin, the reason for negativity being, despite the age gap between GY and KGE is not so big as compared with My Ahjusshi OTP, Ji Eun Tak is a high schooler. So, it was viewed as inappropriate that KS forging a relationship with a girl whom is not legally an adult yet.

I applaud this writer for the great characters relationship and story built up. I was under the impression that all those refrained interactions between PDH and LJA were to test the water - to see how the viewers would react with a possible romance between these two despite the generation gap. Idk where she is going to take us for the remaining 6 episodes because obviously, we are at the romance crossroad now. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

Love this twt

And i took this line from dramamilk , this comment made me laughed, shed a tears and warmth.

Thanks to anonymous.your line remind me to someone who have same short delight joke line i ever knew.

Screenshot_20180420_133446.jpg

IMG_20180425_104357.jpg

Since tonight episode is the climax how the story will flow can some kind hearted here give me a link in advance.

My last link is broken.

And tvn did not send me short clip after 30 minut  actual airing time like before.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"why jian didn't change envelope?"

after loan shark was convinced that jian's gift vouchers was a stolen,
he was forcibly taken away that envelope from jian.
jian has never given that envelope.
(therefore, jian had no reason to change the envelope in advance.)

---

"gift voucher"

gift vouchers are used as almost like cash, (at least in korea)

except that it calculates the exchange fee separately.
a gift voucher can be used anonymously by anyone.
so, there is no problem for jian to use gift vouchers.
but, loan shark believed that jian had a theft, reported jian as a suspect.
(It is not a problem to repay debt with gift vouchers.)

---

one more.

overall, this drama has too many wrong english translations.
It is better to look at the flow of stories rather than blindly believe translation.

• Like 9

15 hours ago, aisling said:

Reading all your posts I’m more and more convinced that Ji An and Dong Hoon will part ways in the end. I think DH won’t be able to throw everything away... The more I think about it the more I doubt he would disappoint his mother and brothers. They’re going to part ways and cherish each other in their memories. But I still wish DH wouldn’t return to his wife because their relationship seem pretty dead anyway. Will he be able not to think about his wife in another man’s arms?

It seems like we are all hitting our heads against a wall!

Kdrama audience loves tragedies and that's why writers/ directors also try to create some melancholy so that people talk about it or come on the net to vent. 

I'm not going to go into details - you guys can read my previous posts on character analysis, possible endings, plot lines etc etc. but in this case, everything was so bleak in the beginning, that it wont make sense for it to end bleakly - for anyone - a little bit of contentment is in store for everyone. 

The dramatic ambiguity is about DH's professional life and his personal life. About him getting up and doing something about the rut he is in, taking charge and getting a second chance at life. At the end of the day, it's about living your truth. People are going into semantics, will he stay or leave, will they wont they, when should they, he's married, should he get divorced, he will leave directorship for her, she will leave town for him, it will be a hanky-driven end, there will be a 25-year leap (?!) he is a mystical creature who will be in her heart forever (!)...... waahhhhh, calm down! let's see what happens! 

All I'm going to say for now is this: this is a cleverly written story of an unconventional romance between two people who have nothing in common on the surface, and who have deep personal / professional issues, wrapped in the box of real life. These 2 people will change each other for the better and withstand the test of time. 

DH and Ji-An are both family oriented. She is wise and tough beyond her years - and frankly, she has seen more of life than Mr. Goody Two Slippers. Her faith in humanity and men is restored through her association with him (he is a pure gold of a man). He will continue to help her in his role as a proper older responsible man, but if anyone has seen the way this guy looks at her (Exhibit A: when she comes out of the train station breathlessly; Exhibit B: when she walks and doesn't reply to him outside bar; Exhibit C: his staring at her continuously while drinking juice in the 'office crush' conversation) - he's a goner and I don't think he'll recover, though he'll try to explain it away. I don't think either of them have crushes that can be fixed with a slap on the head! (Exhibit D). Maybe they just feel this way because they have been so lonely for so long? Maybe Jung-hee will slap him on the head and say ' I have all this love to give but no one to give it to, and yet, you have someone and you deny yourself that.' 

OR 

It could just be that these two people were meant to shine for a brief moment, they have a good time healing each other, helping each other's professional goals, feeling the connection because they have been so lonely for so long, and moving on in their respective lives, seeing each other casually now and then, breaking the viewers hearts! So enjoy the moonlight while it lasts! And remember, if it ends this way, it's all your - yes, you the viewers - fault. You loooove melancholy!

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, liddi said:

DH's filial nature towards his mother and siblings too becomes a stumbling block in this marriage as he weighs them to be more important than his own nuclear family in terms of his time, attention, efforts. It does not bode well for a marriage, when a spouse is made to feel that she matters less compared to the rest of the family. I honestly doubt it is ever DH's intention to do so, but his actions reflect the disparity in treatment, and so the poison deepens. Not to mention the unconscious sense of isolation that YH feels when she is with his family where she is put on a pedestal of sorts because of her career achievements, and thus never quite allowed to fit in as just one of the family. 

There is no excusing YH's infidelity, but the breakdown of their marriage is one that has happened over years and years, with both of them at fault - chipping away at the foundations of their marriage until at last, I don't believe either of them remembers anymore why they fell in love with and chose each other in the first place, with so much hurt and resentment between them. And that is the greatest tragedy of it all. Whether this marriage could still be salvaged remains to be seen, but I hope that we will see them finally muster up the courage to truly talk to each other, no excuses, no avoidances, just lay all their cards on the table. They owe each other at least that much

@liddisorry to cut your post. As always, appreciate and love reading your posts. Question, in a way when it comes to fidelity, faithfulness to his wife, his marriage vows could it be said then that he was the one who was unfaithful who in a way "cheated" first and for a longer time when he put his extended family first before his wife? He said at one time that he lost his "pillar" and while he was saying that the image of YH pops up. But it seems they each stopped being a pillar to each other. This does not excuse YH affair. I am just curious to what "fidelity" means or how it is defined in a broader sense in a marriage?  

I think the controversy over the attempted bribe in the first episodes will come back to haunt DH in his bid for the Directorship. YH was the first person he went to for advice and although she did nothing at that time knowing that JY used that to attempt to fire DH, I wonder if this time she will be on his side even just for the sake of revenge against JY? Could it pave the way for them to open communication and healing?  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@sadiesmith  underwear is hard to see, but the shoes you can tell whether it is wore.... at work anyway.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5