[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, liddi said:

@zenya22 Thank you for your kind words.

It is an interesting comparison. For me, far more than just the physical aspect, fidelity in a marriage encompasses the emotional, spiritual bond that ideally should exist between a husband and wife as well. The fact that DH described his existence and worth as being defined by his wife and son, indicates that he had depended on them to give him strength to go on, so her affair shattered the foundations of what he believed himself to be. However, the truth can probably be said for YH as well. As a wife, she needed to feel her worth in his eyes. To be honest, DH's courteous consideration of her is grossly insufficient if he would not share what is buried deep within his heart with her. By shutting her out in every way that matters, it got to a point where she was relegated to not much more than just a long-term housemate. By refusing to share his life with her, he too undermined her identity as a wife and partner in their marriage, and by extension the foundations of their marriage, just as much as she, acting upon her desires, chose to seek the fulfillment that she could not find within her marriage, elsewhere.

So back to the original question. I don't think it is so much that he was metaphorically unfaithful by prioritising his extended family, but rather his emotional distance - subconsciously erecting insurmountable walls that kept her out, and finally, left her trailing behind himself and the company he chooses to keep over her - that left their marriage an empty shell.

Agree wholeheartedly @liddi :)

I actually wonder about how their marriage came to this point. I do believe it was founded on love. Dong Hoon isn’t the type to do something - even something as mundane as having a meal with a person - if he wasn’t into it. This was said by Joon Young, so it makes it all the more credible to me. So it makes sense that he must’ve loved Yoon Hee enough for him to marry her and have a son with her.  On Yoon Hee’s part, there’s an expression that i see in her eyes whenever she looks at Dong Hoon which tells me she loves him still but has somehow given up on him and their marriage.

I wonder what happened to Dong Hoon that changed him so much.  I doubt he was this passive and depressed when he was younger.  Based on Joon Young’s description of him when talking to Ji An, Dong Hoon had been popular in college.  He was most probably very confident then, being highly intelligent and talented, athletic (he plays soccer) and able to make a mean soju bomb :D .  These were the traits that probably made Joon Young jealous of him. Yet there are times you still see that self-confidence coming out, particularly when he’s in the zone and doing all that analytical work with his team. Something very traumatic must have occurred that turned him into a shadow of his former self.  I wish the writer and director would give us an idea, in pretty much the same way that they allowed us a glimpse into Ji An’s dark childhood.

• Like 8

A face off between DH and DJY.

Everyone can hear his voice at the office.  DH finally hit his face.

JA took back the slippers.... and he asked her about them.  They had another meaningful conversation... DH is full of anger today..

• Like 7

For those of you here who would like to get to know IU / Lee Ji-eun better. Here is IU recent interview by Dazed magazine’s 10th anniversary and IU’s 10th debut anniversary. Putting in spoiler cause it is not related to the drama.

Spoiler
[TRANSLATION] 180424 Dazed and Confused May Issue - #IU Interview

I gave IU twenty words that came to my mind and she chose 10 words out of those. From there, we began our interview juxtaposing Dazed magazine’s 10th anniversary and IU’s 10th debut anniversary.

You’ve chosen 10 words out of the 20 right? If you ask me what came to my mind when I saw the 10 words you chose, it’s as if you edited the manuscript. You’ve removed all the unncessary and redundant parts!

IU: Umm I wondered what kind of question each word would lead to and focused on that to select the 10 words. Those that I felt might lead to certain questions were removed by me.

Shall we start from the first word, ‘gaze’, then?

IU: Oh, I consider my gaze to be rather prominent.

Your gaze gives me the sense that you’re watching me even when I’m not looking at you. Cats are like that too. Even when I’m not looking at them, they’re clearly watching me from somewhere.

IU: Thank you. My facial features are not that sharp. So I often think that the impression people are left with after seeing my face would be the look in my eyes.

Do you like how your face looks then?

IU: Nowadays, I do. Thoughts like I wish I looked like this or that don’t come to my mind so much anymore and I’m starting to like how I look. Is that a good thing?

Is it about achieving a balance between your thoughts and your face?

IU: Ah, yes I think I’ve achieved a balance. Nowadays, I’m more frequently satisfied with how I look. I have what I call my average look. “This is how my face usually looks like”, that sort of average look. Nowadays, I think to myself more and more frequently, “Oh? It seems to be getting better?”

Would that be because of this? I enjoyed watching you look at the camera (during the magazine photoshoot).

IU: I do like having my photos taken, but I don’t really enjoy photoshoots. Because I feel that it’s kind of awkward to go with a certain concept. It’s not like how when I perform on stage or act in front of the camera, whereby I am totally entrusted to become a certain character. It always seems rather awkward to me to have my photos taken, while emphasising the portrayal of a certain character. That’s the reason why I haven’t done that many photoshoots since I debuted too. I really like having candid photos taken, but doing photoshoots isn’t my preference.

That’s because such photoshoots tend to be rather intense, to express something or another. In a way, they just want to capture that thing without question. For those with a strong sense of responsibility, impromptu tasks tend to be more challenging. Is your horoscope Taurus?

IU: That’s right. Oh, something I write quite often in my diary is, ‘responsibility’. I think it’s really something that makes me who I am.

A gaze that leaves an impression, a face that you’re liking more and more, as well as responsibility. I’m curious about your thoughts when you meet people. How do you see people?

IU: When I meet people? This is something that’s changing recently though. Previously, I used to categorise people into this sort of person, that sort of person. That worked out quite well, that sort of judgement, but recently, there have been many cases that ran contrary to what I expected. I thought to myself, ah, I can’t just classify people like that, I’ve got to meet more people.

Eyes that seem to know something. That’s similar to cats as well. In comparison, dogs seem innocent and have more adorable eyes. Is it because you have a newfound curiosity about people?

IU: Yes, I find it really interesting. Usually, if I do a certain action, others would have a certain reaction, then I would have a certain reaction, and so on, but I realised that’s not always the case. Recently, I was joking and chatting with my friend, when I said, “Ah, you’re a person of many secrets.” Then I asked frankly, “Why are you speaking like that here? Why are you stopping your sentence here? Do you have something to hide? Do I really know you?” My friend thought earnestly and replied, “Oh, I’m not trying to hide anything and I’m not someone particularly special. It’s just that the person you think I am doesn’t exist. I’m someone else.” That really took me by surprise. The conversation wasn’t something totally unexpected, but hearing it directly from my friend, I felt that this isn’t the way it should be. I said, “Hey, I really like what you said. Say it again, say it again.” I received it as a text message as well and realised that it’s just that someone else has something that I want. I thought that was interesting. [Note: This is probably linked to what IU mentioned above about categorising people.]

You’ve broadened your perspective.

IU: I’m rather inquisitive. I can’t stand things that I’m curious about, but it doesn’t happen very frequently. If I’m hooked on something, I have to find out about it, because I have such a personality, it tires me out. I end up doing many things that I don’t necessarily have to. For example, with books and movies as well, these are really exhausting for me emotionally. If I watch a movie that I don’t enjoy, I get angry and the rest of my day is ruined. So my friends don’t really like to watch movies with me. Also, I can’t stop reading a book halfway. I could just stop there, but I have to read till the end. This is all because of my curiosity. It’s like that with people as well, but I’m not curious about every single person. Some people say I’m indifferent towards them. That’s because I’m only concerned about a handful of people. It’s a kind of selective curiosity?

Is there any movie you would like to talk about?

IU: Melancholia. It was really good. Super.

I’m curious as to what you have to say about the last scene of the movie.

IU: I really want to talk to people about this movie. I really really liked it. The acting was good, ah, I actually watched it when I wasn’t in a great condition. When I was kind of tired and having a hard time? So I did a search and found that it a movie about that sort of emotion, so I watched it one day and couldn’t get over it for days after that.

When the Earth was nearing apocalypse, the two sisters gradually changed totally right?

IU: That’s right. The older and younger sisters are different. The younger one suffers from depression, while her sister is a practical person who is well-adjusted to everyday life. When they find out about the apocalypse, the younger one finds a sense of stability and her older sister started having a difficult time. Probably because of her will to live on. She’s someone with things she has to achieve, possesses certain things and will have things that she wants to achieve in future, so she’s never thought that there would be an apocalypse one day and feels scared as a result. On the other hand, her younger sister suffering from depression, thinks to herself all the time stuff like, ‘What if I’m gone? What will I become?’ So the apocalypse is not a big deal to her, in a way, it’s the perfect conclusion. It’s a fair ending after all. Since everyone ends together. The director who presented all this from the start to the end is really amazing.

Awful, isn’t it?

IU: Yes, indeed. Really awful. It’s like a battle between whether the audience wins or the director wins. So I really really liked it. It’s also a movie that presented depression in a most tenacious and realistic way. Ah, I enjoyed “Florida Project” which I watched recently too. There aren’t that many theatres showing it, but places like cinetube would have it. After the movie, I was left in a daze. That’s the end? It ended? Just like that? I was walking over to the carpark after the movie and the cold wind was blowing, when I managed to organise my thoughts and felt that it’s such a great movie. I turned and looked back at the movie theatre again.

Have any of your songs made you feel this way too?

IU: Rather than my songs, the lyrics do make me feel this way from time to time.

If we break down a song into its various components, are the lyrics the most important to you?

IU: I think so. Oh, songs can be broadly classified into two types. The kind that words are added onto the voice and the kind that sound is added onto the words. I think it’s always been the latter case for me. Strangely, that’s always been the way and recently, it’s become more serious. It’s hard to say which is better, but the former would develop more in terms of the sound and technique, with a deeper understanding of music and sound theory. As for the latter, more thought goes into how I can create the greatest impact with this song. If I were to sing this song, how should I write the lyrics to match the tune? If I were to       sing it with this degree of intensity, what would it be like? A song is actually a really tiny thing. From this tiny thing, what’s the maximum impact I can gain from it? That’s what I’m more concerned about.

How would you differentiate lyrics and poems?

IU: Lyrics need to have a tune to be complete eventually, so no matter what, the melody and the lyrics need to meet. I think herein lies the difference.

Usually, do you write poems or do you write lyrics then?

IU: I think I just talk. I write a lot. It used to be more balanced, so in some cases, I would compose the melody and add on the words I want to say. Nowadays, about 90% of the time, the melody is added on to what I’ve already written. Yes, what I want to say is the most important to me, when I’m singing.

Do you read more novels or poem anthologies? I think some people are the verse type, while others are the prose type.

IU: I read both. As a person, I think I’m more of the prose type. I consider myself to be a prose type of person dreaming of becoming a verse type?

Shall I show you the memo I wrote while crafting this question? “Although IU reads many novels, could she be someone who enjoys poetry, finds it difficult but wants to write it?”

IU: Oh, that’s right. How did you know? That’s right, I find people who are succinct really cool. I’m not that sort of person, so I yearn to become like that. I’m not a succinct sort of person, so I tend to have to explain a lot. But seeing how others can condense and make things really simple, I find that really cool. So I would like to become like them? But I’m still a prose sort of person.

In that case, to you, adding on the melody or using your voice are ways to convey your words and your strength as well right?

IU: That’s right. I’m not sure why this word comes to mind right now, but I think of it as an ‘opportunity’. Another opportunity for me to explain myself as a person? It’s like another opportunity for me to organise my thoughts and explain myself. So I really like to write lyrics, although it’s also the most tiring. I’m actually really busy lately. I’m in the midst of filming my drama and because my character requires much thought, so I’ve immersed myself in the role and my body has been kept busy too. Yet I have to prepare for my next album at the same time, so I’ve started to write some lyrics as well.

Writing lyrics amidst your busy schedule could give you another source of strength too.

IU: That’s right. After performing on stage, in my 10 years, I’ve never thought to myself, “Ah, I’m so cool. I’m really good.” I’ve never felt that way in any of activities either. But the strange thing is that after I finish writing the lyrics for a song, I really like who I am. Out of all the different sides to me, I think the side of me that shows when I write lyrics is my favourite. “There isn’t much, Jieunah, there are only a few lines for you to write.” When it comes to writing, I can keep on going, I could write without full-stops. But for lyrics, I need to have a finished result within those 4 minutes, so I need to hit the right spots and do away with redundancy, to be left with what I really feel should be kept. What’s left is really the core. Seeing that, I think to myself, “I do have something pretty good inside me.” That’s why I like the side of me that writes lyrics.

Those are great words. Do you get mood shifts during different seasons?

IU: Seasons? The dust level today is “safe”. You can be energetic at work. It’s fine to go out and play too and you’d start looking forward to the next month and the next and the next. I think that’s great. In winter, you don’t really have such thoughts. I wasn’t really thinking about what I would be doing in March or April. The winter that just passed was especially cold and gloomy. But as for what I’ll be doing in May and June and in summer, I’m starting to have those thoughts and I seem to be melting, completely. Now that it’s spring, my mood has really changed. I thought to myself, “Ah, I’m such a simple human being.”

This is the season that comes back again, so there’s something familiar about it, yet something really new about it too. What are 5 words you would use to describe spring?

IU: Spring? 5 words? It seems like ‘dust’ would have to be one of the 5 words. Also, azaleas come to mind. I really like azaleas.

Can you distinguish between azaleas, royal azaleas and Satsuki azaleas?

IU: I recognise royal azaleas. My grandmother liked azaleas, so when I was young, our whole rooftop was a garden. My grandmother would bring me to the rooftop and teach me, “This is a dwarf fan-shape columbine, this is a trumpet lily and if not taken care of properly, spots would appear here.” She’d go, “This is a bay tree and these are royal azaleas and these are azaleas.” When I was young, I grew up looking at flowers. I like azaleas. They give a warm feeling and are kind of old-fashioned. I think that’s lovely. I like the name ‘azalea’ too and the third word I picked is ‘lover’, because just walking around, the weather makes you want to fall in love.

You don’t consider yourself as one of such people then?

IU: Yes, I’m not. I’m the sort to fall in love in winter. When it starts to turn cold, I tend to fall in love. I don’t really recall myself falling in love in spring. If I were someone who falls in love in spring, I would have used the word ‘love’ instead of ‘lover’. Since I’m not that type, I chose ‘lover’ or ‘lovers’. What else is there? If it’s spring, the Han River?

Can you see the riverside from your window?

IU: Yes, I can see the Han River right in front. My mum stopped me initially, as it might make me feel depressed, but it’s not really like that. Living somewhere where you can see the river, you get to see people. People exercising in the evenings or people going on picnics in the day. That’s how I felt. “Ah, despite the dust, people who are in love are still healthy. Humans are such a strong species.” (Laughs) I’m not someone who can do that though. It’s as if I don’t exist in spring. I just observe other people in spring. Have we gone through 3 words now? Dust, lover, azalea, Han River, that’s already 4. What else is there?

I want to recommend you a word. Night, ‘spring night.’

IU: Spring night! Oh, you’re right.  I even wrote something that was titled ‘Spring Night’ recently. Spring night is really wonderful. It feels kind of sad and just pops up for a split second. Same goes for seasons, they’re gone in a flash, especially the night of spring.

It’s interesting that ‘spring’ is pronounced as ‘haru’ (one day) in Japanese. Spring is only one day. It’s written in books too.

I guess it really is. ‘Spring’ is only ‘Haru’ (one day). It has a dual meaning.

Let’s talk about the acoustic of seasons.

I’m very sensitive to the sound itself. When I was young, I didn’t think much when the producer and composers told me that I have really sensitive ears. But as I grew older and understood myself a bit more, I realized that they were right about it.

To give an example?

I’m not saying that I have the sense of perfect pitch. I just sort of know something from the feeling it gave me. Let’s just say it in this way. It’s impossible to conclude accurately that a ‘sound is bad’ using any form of words or numerical value. But normally if I say that ‘this sound sounds (feels) bad’, then there’s really something wrong with it. Lee Jong Hoon-ssi who has been working on making music with me for the longest time knows about it too. We were both born in the year of rooster, he taught me lots of thing when I was young so he basically made up 70% of my music preference. He taught me in a way that has benefited my music preference. For example, he would tell me that ‘this is great music, you should learn to like this sort of (music).’ It has become a prominent part that has formed me into who I am today. We are on the same wavelength and he happens to be the smartest person I know. Especially during concerts, we can’t carry on the show without him. Should I say that my ears were rejecting the sound when I wasn’t in my best condition? I get that sometimes during my concert. After about three to four hours of performances, my ears would actually go the extent of saying that ‘From now on, I’m not going to accept any sound, at all’ (laughs) There were times when I felt really panicky because even though I could still hear the sound, I couldn’t interpret or describe it at all. At times like this, Lee Jong Hoon-ssi would turn down the sound volume in my in-ear monitors and tell me that ‘it’s okay, it’s alright’ to calm me down. Lately, I’ve been thinking that maybe singing is about using our ears (not voice) after all.

Do you listen to your songs a lot?

I listen to them a lot when I compose. After release, I listen to them from time to time. I have super good hearing even when I’m sleeping too. So I think I often suffer from insomnia because of my ears. My ear is one of the factors (that causes my insomnia)

What is the favourite sound that you’re thinking right now?

Yoo Inna’s voice. Compare the consciousness-filled sweet voice that unnie uses for broadcast purposes (laughs), I just think that her normal voice is an art. How does she manage to maintain the same pitch and tone of voice all the time? No matter how bad or good my mood is, In-na unnie’s voice sounds great to listen to.

Is Yoo Inna-ssi good at singing?

Rather than saying that she’s good at singing (laughs), she has a really wonderful voice. Her vocal cords are really solid.

Do you find it more and more interesting that your lyrics are sung by a voice that belongs to another person?

As of now, I only wrote for those who I think that my lyrics could actually help them. The thing is, there are some (challenging) terms or lyrics that I know how to cover it up in my own way even though they aren’t welcomed, from the singer’s perspective. But from my perspective as a lyricist, I couldn’t give up the lyrics so there were times when I stubbornly squeezed them into the song. Still, I could understand it because I was the one who wrote that, so even if it takes a bit of technique to pronounce it, I just had to write it. ‘I can do well, I can handle this.’ was what I thought. But when it comes to giving someone else to sing it, I couldn’t help but to be more careful about it. Nevertheless, writing lyrics for another singer who has a voice that I like is always something I want to give it shot.

Suddenly feel like asking this, what kind of person will IU be in the future?

I will probably be a very stubborn person in the future (laughs).

By that time, will you still like chocolate? What’s your recent favorite chocolate?

I dislike chocolates with almonds inside. I just hate those with almonds, nougats or caramel inside. I like milk chocolates that are clean and a bit thick because it’s easy to bite and break it off.

What about dark chocolate? It matches well with whisky.

I hate (chocolates) that are too bitter. I drink alcohol, but not whisky so there’s no way that I’ll eat chocolate and drink (whisky) at the same time.

You grimaced when you pronounced ‘whisky’. Do you hate it that much?

It’s obvious, right? I frown whenever I talk about stuff I hate (laughs).

Among the terms that you’ve picked, one of them was ‘cream color’. We were actually going to ask you to choose between chocolate and cream color, but you chose both.

The reason I chose ‘cream color’ was because I was curious about what you’re going to ask me about it.

We chose this word because it gives off a fairytale-like mood. Fairytale is one of IU’s images. Kind of a weird fairytale?

I don’t really know what kind of color cream color is. I always get confused. The ‘cream color’ I have in mind is whipped cream, almost white, but that’s not cream color right? Is it sky-blue? Beige? Or peach? When I was young, I was struck by the word ‘cream color’. When I was reading ‘Little Women’, there was something about ‘she wears the cream-colored stockings’ and left me wondering ‘cream-colored stockings? It sounds yummy, cause I really like cream. So I really liked that expression. Cream-colored stockings, they said. What??!

Now that you mentioned cream-colored stockings, it reminds me of ‘The Red Shoes’. It was released in 2013 right?  It’s around half of your 10 years since debut. It’s been 10 years, how do you feel about it?

Though I think not much has changed, there are a few things that I’m certain about. Such as ‘I was acting like this at that time’, ‘I supposed it’s not easy to change this temper’, ‘I guess it’s alright to leave it as it is and make it ‘fixed’’. Yeah, it’s been 10 years. Truthfully, whether it’s 3 or 8 years, nothing significant has changed since then.

Are you always satisfied with yourself as a singer?

Hmm, I’m not sure what kind of singer I am. But will I ever know it? Before I quit this job? I’m someone’s singer who sings songs for that person right? Since I’m not on the side where someone else is singing for me because I’m the one singing it, I will never know it what kind of singer I am, like ever. I think that is why I still tell more about things I want to say from time to time because I have yet to know how to define myself clearly. I’ve always wanted to define myself because I wanted to be simpler.

Seems like you wrote something on the paper with a pen. The image of IU writing lyrics or diary entry reminds me of a word, which is ‘record’. Though the 10 years itself is a record, what is IU’s personal record? And so, I would like to give you a task. Can you pick your records within these 10 years and send them to us?

Okay, since I always write them, I’ll think carefully of what I have with me.

One week later, IU took pictures of her records (diary entries) and sent to <Dazed>.

Translated by IUteamstarcandy

DboFoTJVAAA3ZWl.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Quite a pitiful scene when DH and his wife were going to have a "late supper" together... The moment she said " Yeobo" DH got up from his seat and went to watch the tv on his own.

What an awkward situation for them - (when the hotel key card dropped from the car compartment ) Are they going to talk openly about it  (the cheating wife) or not I wonder.

She said it finally - kneeling and crying ...she said sorry... really really sorry ... 

(JA is still listening to their conversation .. and somehow the scene was quite emotional too..... )

Can't wait to see tomorrow's episode.

• Like 9
  • Sad 3

21 minutes ago, Yongzura said:

Quite a pitiful scene when DH and his wife were going to have a "late supper" together... The moment she said " Yeobo" DH got up from his seat and went to watch the tv on his own.

What an awkward situation for them - are they going to talk openly about it  (the cheating wife) or not I wonder.

She said it finally - kneeling and crying ...she said sorry... really really sorry ... 

She sorry she got caught that is all.

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

9 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

She sorry she got caught that is all.

4 minutes ago, aisling said:

So DH finally let it out and confronted his wife. Well, it does look like they’ll reconcile after some time? Which isn’t exactly what I’m happy about...

Yeah with this couple I agree, I think it's better for them to part ways....but it does look like they'll reconcile, but I hope not!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, aisling said:

So DH finally let it out and confronted his wife. Well, it does look like they’ll reconcile after some time? Which isn’t exactly what I’m happy about...

I dont know does he know she was working with the other guy to get him fired as well?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, blademan said:

Oh god DH seemed so broken :tears: how the hell is he gonna react when he finds out JA has been spying on him for that sleazebag?!!! :( 

I'm not sure what he'll do but I hope after knowing JA's back story... he'll be able to understand and forgive her somehow....

• Like 4