[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, MsMinnieFran said:

I going to be honest and say that I have no idea what is happening. I mean, I know what is happening, but I don't what is happening, nor do I know what is going to happen. Haven't the foggiest idea.

Just.my.thought!

what the hell is goin on?

i understand korean and understood much of the episode but i couldnt really get DH today. All along the ep, what was he fighting against? His undecision about his marriage now that he know that his wife knows that he knows or his feelings for Ji an? I am seriously asking tho, somebody answer me lol

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, noor1 said:

From the ep. 12 preview, it seems that YH has just called JY's bluff - and showed him that she knows about Ji-An and his plan and if he does anything to ruin her husband, she'll expose him. So she's trying to save her marriage. DH, who still has to figure out that doing the right thing hasn't given him much happiness in life, will never voluntarily leave her.

Meanwhile, DH continues to give these meaningful sad lonesome looks to poor Ji-An. And we all have to suffer in silence - with them! 

At this rate, JY, already pushed in a corner, may just hire Kwang-il to 'off' DH, who will be most happy to take away Ji-An's happiness. 

DH is stuck. Ji-An is stuck. YH is stuck. JY is stuck. Kwang-il is stuck. Jung-hee is stuck. The only ones having fun are the happy-go-lucky brothers! Nothing fazes them (bankruptcy, debts, loss of job, lack of property, cleaning duties, sexless marriage, rejections!).

I think she will try, and I think it is right to do that. As I think you're right when saying DH won't ask for divorce. But I don't believe - in this case, by trying she will undo the dameges of their marriage: the way the story was unfolded simply led me not to believe (or accept - in terms of the logic of history) the possibily of recover their marriage.

In principe, I find YH selfish and that her motives to stay on the marriage is mostly (but not only) by selfissh reasons. But I think that after a time of trying to save their marriage, and seeing that DH will stay there only for the sake of others, she will be generous and free him. In this way, in my eyes, she could have a kind of redemptiom. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, nearsea said:

Yeah, also, I was surprised after listening to his thought process. Like he said the moment she went ahead and did that, it's like telling him, dong hoon, you die. It was killing him inside. Coming from his kid's mom, that was too much for him to bear. 

So I'm not pro-marriage, at least for this show haha. 

Yes, when he finally revealed his feelings it was so heartbreaking. Normally, I want couples to give their marriage another try but in this situation they better part ways and mutually forgive each other. It does not make sense prolonging the suffering by staying married to each other.

6 minutes ago, ninaanin said:

I can't understand korean (only few words), but JA's expressions and eyes say to me that she is completely in love with DH (kudos to the actress). Poor and hopeless JA! Unless sometinhg huge happens DH will never acknowledge his feelings for her, nor will he voluntarily divorce his wife, he will keep unhappily enduring this marriage that, in my eyes, cannot be salvage.

Thanks to the preview translation above. It looks like something violent will happen once Gwang Il will be involve in this mess.    JYD will not go down without a fight that's for sure. An enemy of your enemy is a friend. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, MinAeRin said:

Just.my.thought!

what the hell is goin on?

i understand korean and understood much of the episode but i couldnt really get DH today. All along the ep, what was he fighting against? His undecision about his marriage now that he know that his wife knows that he knows or his feelings for Ji an? I am seriously asking tho, somebody answer me lol

My bet: both!

But I don't understand korean. So it is just a bet!!! :wink: 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, timidjock0819 said:

Let's see shall we? what is it now 5 more episodes to go?   I will give this episode to YH and DH. This couple needs to talk badly. I will go down willingly with the delulu ship:lol:. The island still have enough soju unless this PD will send another ship heading into delulu territory in upcoming episodes. Seriously dude! stop feeding us. 

The best I can hope for is a brand new beginning for all the characters here. Please no more tragedy and pain -  just everyone moving on happily. This show really makes me sad, so painful watching DH this episode. 

well there is another ship that looks like it started sailing and on board are ki Hoon and Yu Ra....looks like smooth sailing for them..... the other official delulu ship..... the captain is sailing the turbulent and rough seas and has yet to decide his chief mate..... he is punching his way to get to his chief mate, before he gets shipwrecked.... in the meantime KH and YR will bring comfort food with the soju until the storm dies down.... what happens to the official DLL ship, who and what it may bring we shall see till then.... all aboard

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

13 minutes ago, ninaanin said:

I can't understand korean (only few words), but JA's expressions and eyes say to me that she is completely in love with DH (kudos to the actress). Poor and hopeless JA! Unless sometinhg huge happens DH will never acknowledge his feelings for her, nor will he voluntarily divorce his wife, he will keep unhappily enduring this marriage that, in my eyes, cannot be salvage.

I think so too..he will never aknowledge his feelings for her, not even to himself. I didnt get the all thing but when he told her that he wont fire her and wanted to see her even years after without pretending to not be happy about it, what does that mean? Is he lying to himself? Is he really rejecting her? Cause at the beginning of their conversation i think he told her that confessing she like him was childish....Maybe he is going crazy and dont know whats going on either.......aaaaarh i’ve waited so long for this episode but now i dont know what to think anymore....and then That smile in the preview.....PDH, why are you doing this to me???

• Like 7
  • LOL 4

6 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

well there is another ship that looks like it started sailing and on board are ki Hoon and Yu Ra....looks like smooth sailing for them..... the other official delulu ship..... the captain is sailing the turbulent and rough seas and has yet to decide his chief mate..... he is punching his way to get to his chief mate, before he gets shipwrecked.... in the meantime KH and YR will bring comfort food with the soju until the storm dies down.... what happens to the official DLL ship, who and what it may bring we shall see till then.... all aboard

Cheers! soju shots. 

I love Ki Hoon and Yura too - those two puppies.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, MinAeRin said:

I think so too..he will never aknowledge his feelings for her, not even to himself. I didnt get the all thing but when he told her that he wont fire her and wanted to see her even years after without pretending to not be happy about it, what does that mean? Is he lying to himself? Is he really rejecting her? Cause at the beginning of their conversation i think he told her that confessing she like him was childish....Maybe he is going crazy and dont know whats going on either.......aaaaarh i’ve waited so long for this episode but now i dont know what to think anymore....and then That smile in the preview.....PDH, why are you doing this to me???

He is (emotionaly) in a mess!! And I think it makes sense that his behaviour, his thinking process are erratics, and seemingly confusing and illogical. 

He can't accept that he has feelings for her. He is a righteous man, has his prejudices. It isn't easy to admit this kind of feelings. He is fighting against it, but he can't win over it. Add to it, his marriage and office politics. So, his emotions are in a mess now, and him as a whole too.. 

• Like 13

12 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Come sit next to me. :D

I think we're all just in love with this show, and can't stop obsessing over every little thing. (At least, I know that's the case for me!)

Anyway, throughout the show so far, I wavered between "platonic but profound love" to "heart-pounding romance" between them, but now I'm firmly on the ship. You cannot ignore this intense attraction. It would be wrong.

I managed to squeeze in some rewatching, and what struck me is how they are essentially playing high school crush games with each other. How she deliberated waited for him, then walks past him in front of Jung-Hee's, and how he was waiting for her, while smoking. How upset he was when she ignored him, and how upset she was by doing it.

So I saw how it all built up to the final confrontation. She saw that he was being followed by the guy with the camera. She pulled her hoodie up, and deliberately walked past him.

And he was genuinely upset! He said, "왜 나 모른척해? 왜 또 삐졌어?" ("Why do you ignore me? Why are you pissed?") It really struck me how petulant and childish he sounded, almost like he was whining. And how casual and familiar these words actually were. You don't say these words to some child in need that you are helping out. This was peak attraction (for these two, so far). This was him expressing genuine disappointment that she was refusing their connection. This was him no longer pretending that he was just helping out some person in need out of charity.

So you can see her stop, and think about what she was going to do.

We all agree that raw confession and goading was deliberate, and she purposefully threw cold water on everything. That she sacrificed her relationship with him. She knows him much better than he realizes, because of all the phone-tapping. She knows he thinks about her when she isn't there. (the no socks, the 30,000 years old, the "fighting.") She knew what buttons to push because she knew that he liked her.

This is love, you guys. Let's not fight it anymore. In just a few hours, we will all be squeeeing together. :heart:

Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching (listening and GPS-tracking) you

Oh can't you see
You belong to me
My poor heart aches
With every step you take

Right? All of this happened right? I am not crazy, right? But why....is fronting for? He keeps waiting for her even in todays ep 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, arctichare said:

THIS. I just love watching how aware DH is of JA at any given moment, and this has been there since the beginning. Just from the top of my head -

1. He watches her on the train with her ankle length socks/mentions these socks to a colleague later on when he's thinking about her.

2. He notices when she's not at work, and his interest is piqued again when Kwang-il calls looking for her.

3. When she's back, he tries to casually (not so casually) ask her why she's late.

4. When he runs into her on the street with his brothers, he looks like he's going to ignore but ends up asking after her anyway.

5. Again in ep 10, he just stares at her while he's having that conversation about the "office crush".

I'll probably run out of space if I actually tried to list all these moments. But can this production stop playing with my heart?!! I'm WEAK.

Nae mari! I am weak!!! Writer-nim stop playing!!!

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

24 minutes ago, ninaanin said:

He is (emotionaly) in a mess!! And I think it makes sense that his behaviour, his thinking process are erratics, and seemingly confusing and illogical. 

He can't accept that he has feelings for her. He is a righteous man, has his prejudices. It isn't easy to admit this kind of feelings. He is fighting against it, but he can't win over it. Add to it, his marriage and office politics. So, his emotions are in a mess now, and him as a whole too.. 

You right. Its actually normal for him to react like that. All of a sudden i understand everything, thanks to you. His all life is a mess like he said himself, he is really going crazy because he really loves her

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, ninaanin said:

I haven't seen the episode yet but from the live recap summary, it seemed to me that, tbh in Dong Hoon's mind there haven't been any thoughts regarding Ji An in terms of love. Definitely he's curious about her, she has occupied his mind, whenever he's in office, and outside, he looks out for her and all that, but I feel like love is the last thing in his mind right now since he looks pretty shook up because of his wife's affair. I got that feeling as he shouted at yoon hee, 'how could you do that as our kid's mom'. So while some of his reactions make me think he will leave the wife, then seeing how he's still fighting with JY at the office, I'm confused if that's because he just wants to make things right, or if that concern comes because of his wife. Which 'is' pretty upsetting though lol. The director shouldn't use all those romantic sodium lights and bokeh in the background during Ji An- Dong Hoon scenes, if they want dong hoon and yoon hee to reconcile lol.

Problem with the direction in Kdramas sometimes is that they can't make any scenes without making the gestures romantic. It's a directorial problem if that's actually the angle they are going for.

But 'if' he does break up with his wife, then IMO, maybe he will think about love again, but that's not in his mind right now. He is too much pre-occupied with all the problems going on in his life, probably. 

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, MinAeRin said:

Correction. I re-watched the scene and listened carefully and he actually said that he wont fire her cause firing her just because she likes him would be childish. He kept telling her to be confident and not ignore him, that since he saw her family they do have a relationship and he want it to continue

• Like 11

56 minutes ago, nearsea said:

I haven't seen the episode yet but from the live recap summary, it seemed to me that, tbh in Dong Hoon's mind there haven't been any thoughts regarding Ji An in terms of love. Definitely he's curious about her, she has occupied his mind, whenever he's in office, and outside, he looks out for her and all that, but I feel like love is the last thing in his mind right now since he looks pretty shook up because of his wife's affair. I got that feeling as he shouted at yoon hee, 'how could you do that as our kid's mom'. So while some of his reactions make me think he will leave the wife, then seeing how he's still fighting with JY at the office, I'm confused if that's because he just wants to make things right, or if that concern comes because of his wife. Which 'is' pretty upsetting though lol. The director shouldn't use all those romantic sodium lights and bokeh in the background during Ji An- Dong Hoon scenes, if they want dong hoon and yoon hee to reconcile lol.

Problem with the direction in Kdramas sometimes is that they can't make any scenes without making the gestures romantic. It's a directorial problem if that's actually the angle they are going for.

But 'if' he does break up with his wife, then IMO, maybe he will think about love again, but that's not in his mind right now. He is too much pre-occupied with all the problems going on in his life, probably. 

I've seen the raw episode (not every scene), so my interpretations come from their expressions and few words that I did understand. With that in mind, and if there is a kind of "schizophrenia" between the text and the direction, it is obvious that my vision is really wrong. 

However taking the risk of being mislead by the direction, my impressions (fed by delusions lol) from this episode stays the same, and in a way doesn't contradict your observations. 

From the moment that I became (delusional) sure about DH-JA feelings, I was convinced that DH, if one day he will acknowledge his feelings (to himself and/or to her), it would be at the end of episode 16. This because it doesn't make sense with his character to let this kind of feelings surfaces to his awareness. He is a man with strong will, a man who during years dominates and suffocates his wishes, impulses and desires, who doens't want to think about things that can shake/distube/question his life. In a way, he is metaphoricaly (and reversaly) a stoic monk.  

Currently, in this moment of his life, two things very disturbing came into his life: JA and his wife's affair. This two things put his life upside down. I think this two things has almost the same weight is his current state. Both things he would lik to avoid, but both things are impossible to be avoided, specially the affair. And, as the affair is now open, I think that it is normal that it occupies his mind more than JA, due also to others reasons. In a way, his marriage problems and office politics helps him to avoid think or understand this feelings. 

So to me, in this mess that he is living right now, it is more than natural that he puts his marriage first, and at the same time, tries to avoid JA (and his feelings) by treating it as nothing, trying to normalize it, to ignore it, like he was trying to do with the affair.  

However, in this episode, he kept looking for her, looking at her, in a way that - at least from my experience and cultural context - a man wouldn't do if he had be confessed by a girl that he hasn't any feelings. It is because this things that I still think DH unconsciously/unwillingly/unconfessedly loves her.

About his war against YJ, I think has much to do with the affair and YH. It is a way of vengeance. But I don't think that it necessarily means love for his wife. I think that it has more to do with a man-to-man thing. 

Finally, all above can mean nothing, just impressions and my delusions :)  

• Like 14

1 hour ago, ninaanin said:

In principe, I find YH selfish and that her motives to stay on the marriage is mostly (but not only) by selfissh reasons. But I think that after a time of trying to save their marriage, and seeing that DH will stay there only for the sake of others, she will be generous and free him. In this way, in my eyes, she could have a kind of redemptiom. 

That is until she realizes that her husband has the unrequited hots for the 'temp from hell' and vice versa. Then she'll get vindictive and as self-centered as she possibly can be. This isn't going to end in a nice tight bow. It's a mess already! The only self-less people in the entire drama are DH and Ji-An, who stay miserable for the happiness of others, doing what's right, ignoring their own needs. Frankly, I am having a headache with all the intensity.  

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Translation of Scene from Ep. 11:

I will make sure to see you fulfill your contracted work period, and I will make sure to hear that you are doing well at work, somewhere else, too.

And even if 10 or 20 years pass, if I run into you in the street, I will be happy to see you and greet you. I will not avoid you because you are bothersome and uncomfortable, I will greet you warmly.

Let's do that.

I request it, please. Let's do that.

And buy me a new pair of slippers.

And there my friends, is the ending (even if it takes them 4 more episodes to get there). 

Unless someone reminds DH about the wise janitor's words 'heart knows no reason' and Jung-hee's experience 'all the love to give, no one to give it to' - dialogues above of DH to Ji-An feel like the ending. They are going to disappear in the mist of time (and maybe it's better that way, who knows). The End. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 1

4 minutes ago, noor1 said:

And there my friends, is the ending (even if it takes them 4 more episodes to get there). 

Unless someone reminds DH about the wise janitor's words 'heart knows no reason' and Jung-hee's experience 'all the love to give, no one to give it to' - dialogues above of DH to Ji-An feel like the ending. They are going to disappear in the mist of time (and maybe it's better that way, who knows). The End. 

Hee hee, people can really see things very differently. :lol:

I found that scene unbearable romantic.

"And buy me a new pair of slippers." Who knew those words could make anyone swoon? But I was swooning and squeeing. (And so was Ji-An.)

That's how I saw it, anyway.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Hee hee, people can really see things very differently. :lol:

I found that scene unbearable romantic.

"And buy me a new pair of slippers." Who knew those words could make anyone swoon? But I was swooning and squeeing. (And so was Ji-An.)

That's how I saw it, anyway.

To me either.

The whole speech I interpret as a way DH has to reason/racionalize his feelings, JA feelings and the fact that he doesn't want to fire JA. 

EDIT: And his breath while speaking?? So intense and .... :) 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Ep. 12 Text Preview (translated):

I will make sure to see you fulfill your contracted work period, and I will make sure to hear that you are doing well at work, somewhere else, too.

And even if 10 or 20 years pass, if I run into you in the street, I will be happy to see you and greet you. I will not avoid you because you are bothersome and uncomfortable, I will greet you warmly.

Thank you so much for the translation. But why do I feel so melancholic after reading the above words? It felt like something is ending or breaking.

I agree with @noor1. It's like a glimpse into the future for our characters. But honestly who knows with this show? Just when I think it's going to zig, it zags. This show keeps me on my toes.

I was thinking about the episode and I think we were all expecting to see the aftermath of the "confession" and while the episode did start out like that - it was actually a feint. The real crux of the episode was DH and YH's marriage. So of course everything else was sort of pushed to the sidelines. I wonder if we'll actually get to see the true aftermath of JA's confession or will it get buried underneath new revelations.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1