[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

9 hours ago, akhenaten said:

@tiger457_stv Hello! :)

I couldn’t help but think about your post on whether or not Ji An was ever molested by Kwang Il’s father, which made her kill him.  To my mind, the man probably never molested her himself. However, I won’t discount the possibility that he may have involved her in child prostitution, apart from stealing and all other criminal acts that she may have been forced into.  There is something about Ji An’s stoic demeanor and the way she relates to men that gives me this vibe.  And of course, the violence in the way she killed him, which is indicative of a very deep-seated anger and hatred on her part towards the man.  Other indicators to me would be this scene in an earlier episode when she asked Joon Young if she had to strip naked in front of Dong Hoon. She said it so matter-of-factly as if she were discussing the mundane specifics of a job assignment. And when she kissed Dong Hoon, her eyes were cold and calculating and expressionless, as if such an act is something that doesn’t shock her anymore.  And then of course, there is the story of the garbage man (forgot his name) of how she was made to do bad things that made her grandmother collapse and Dong Hoon’s expression when he heard it.  

There seems to be a total lack of fear in her as far as men, even older men are concerned, which is why she has no qualms about dealing with a conniving CEO like Do Joon Young. Perhaps in her mind, all men are like the men she’s encountered in her young life: always out for something, always ready to use her in some form or fashion. In other words, they can’t be trusted and if she’s to survive her encounters, she needs to be cunning and smart and manipulative.

If that were truly the case, then that would also explain her reaction to Park Dong Hoon.  Initially, she seemed to treat him with contempt, probably even perceived him as weak, because he was mild-mannered and kind and didn’t seem to get angry. He even tried to save a lady bug! Then when she saw the steel beneath his facade and realized his genuine goodness, she was moved. And when he helped with her grandmother without asking for anything in return, even calling her a good person, and beat up Kwang Il because of what he had done to her, she was a goner as far as he is concerned.  It’s possible that there were men in the past who would pretend to help her with Grandma in return for “favors”, so Dong Hoon’s actions would really affect her deeply.  

To think of Ji An having been a child prostitute may be too dark and not a possibility that some viewers may even want to entertain for whatever reason, but this is a reality especially with criminal syndicates such as the one which Kwang Il’s family is involved in.  It wouldn’t be too far-fetched in her situation.

@akhenaten   This reader thinks you are right in your assessment.
Ji-an attitude towardmen is simply too contemptuous, jaded, and matter
of fact. She probably suffered a great deal.  That is why she cried
when Ajusshi said "I would kill him myself..for hurting my family"
...or hurting me???
Hopefully what it may be will be left unsaid because it would simply
be too much to take.  Would want to tear these individuals to pieces
myself!!!

• Like 4

Geez, would controversies stop following this drama?  Or to be exact, would Knetz stop making a big deal out of every little thing?  It seems that they were taking issues with LSK hitting IU upside on the head on the last episode and asked for another investigation.  Some said this drama justifies violence, perhaps talking about LSK and JKY confrontation.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  Here's the source article:

http://www.topstarnews.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=399825#08e1

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 1

9 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Geez, would controversies stop following this drama?  Or to be exact, would Knetz stop making a big deal out of every little thing?  It seems that they were taking issues with LSK hitting IU upside on the head on the last episode and asked for another investigation.  Some said this drama justifies violence, perhaps talking about LSK and JKY confrontation.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  Here's the source article:

Nah. Some people will hate. And some will just be petty. To me, the fact that there are still those who want to put this series down is a sign that the series is indeed a success and breaking ground in terms of quality storytelling. :)

• Like 10

@akhenaten So sorry I only managed to respond to you now. I agree with all the points that you brought up with regards to DH and YH's marriage. On my part, I definitely believe that their marriage was based on love, but has finally hit the rocks as more and more factors weigh in. 

Certainly, a breakdown in communication is one of the key factors leading to the straits their marriage is in now, and in this case, it is not for lack of trying, at least on YH's part. I do think that apart from disliking the dog eat dog politics that go with advancement beyond a technical job scope in his career, DH never had the inclination to venture outside of his comfort zone. Whether it is fear of rocking the apple cart and risk losing the job that his family, immediate and extended, depend upon more and more, or just his innate non-confrontational nature - YH's growing dissatisfaction means him drawing further into his shell as far as she is concerned, unwilling to take on the arguments, and leads to him unconsciously shutting her out, preferring the company of those who do not demand the steps he is unwilling to take, which in turn becomes a vicious cycle, as it drives the wedge between them even deeper and wider, until they no longer have anything meaningful to say to one another. 

DH's filial nature towards his mother and siblings too becomes a stumbling block in this marriage as he weighs them to be more important than his own nuclear family in terms of his time, attention, efforts. It does not bode well for a marriage, when a spouse is made to feel that she matters less compared to the rest of the family. I honestly doubt it is ever DH's intention to do so, but his actions reflect the disparity in treatment, and so the poison deepens. Not to mention the unconscious sense of isolation that YH feels when she is with his family where she is put on a pedestal of sorts because of her career achievements, and thus never quite allowed to fit in as just one of the family. 

There is no excusing YH's infidelity, but the breakdown of their marriage is one that has happened over years and years, with both of them at fault - chipping away at the foundations of their marriage until at last, I don't believe either of them remembers anymore why they fell in love with and chose each other in the first place, with so much hurt and resentment between them. And that is the greatest tragedy of it all. Whether this marriage could still be salvaged remains to be seen, but I hope that we will see them finally muster up the courage to truly talk to each other, no excuses, no avoidances, just lay all their cards on the table. They owe each other at least that much

• Like 13

10 hours ago, akhenaten said:

To think of Ji An having been a child prostitute may be too dark and not a possibility that some viewers may even want to entertain for whatever reason, but this is a reality especially with criminal syndicates such as the one which Kwang Il’s family is involved in.  It wouldn’t be too far-fetched in her situation.

There might be other "bad things" (other than prostitution) that Ji An may have done in the past. The way she organized Director Park's abduction and subsequent removal to Busan makes me think of a criminal mastermind:

1.Her accomplice, Gi Beom, tails Mr Park to a restaurant riding a motorcycle. (Where did he get the bike?)

2. He dons a waiter's jacket and walks into the restaurant carrying a tray (looking just like one of the regular waiters.) While at the restaurant, he knows the locations of all the CCTV cameras and is thus able to avoid them – even though he cannot have known which restaurant Mr Park would go to. In other words, he is familiar with a lot of Seoul restaurants.

3. Ji An arrives at the restaurant, immediately finds the main switchboard and flips the switch. She, too, must be familiar with a lot of Seoul restaurants. Remember, this isn't just any switch. It is The Switch, the big one in a building. It cannot be easily accessible where drunk customers, say, might start playing with it.

4. In the resulting melee, Gi Beom spikes Mr Park's drink. In other words, he has access to some rather dangerous substances. You cannot buy stuff like that at just any drugstore.

5. Ji An flips the switch again and leaves.

6. A designated driver is called to take Mr Park home, but Gi Beom takes his place, accompanies Mr Park to his (Mr Park's car) and drives him to a hotel by the East Sea. He leaves the motorcycle somewhere.

7. Once at the hotel, he manhandles the semi-conscious Mr Park to a room. Again, while registering at the desk, he avoids all CCTV cameras.

8. Gi Beom makes it back to Seoul.

Phew. Did I get it right? Was there still something?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

Nah. Some people will hate. And some will just be petty. To me, the fact that there are still those who want to put this series down is a sign that the series is indeed a success and breaking ground in terms of quality storytelling. :)

Brilliant, i thinking same way, there'er people eager to take down this drama. Arguing even tiny detail just to drifted our enthhusiasem to enjoy this drama.

Wish tomorow episode is full of explode reveal scene.

got high rating to shut everyone who make a fuss.

#myahjussi#mymister team faighting.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Sakari said:

There might be other "bad things" (other than prostitution) that Ji An may have done in the past. The way she organized Director Park's abduction and subsequent removal to Busan makes me think of a criminal mastermind:

1.Her accomplice, Gi Beom, tails Mr Park to a restaurant riding a motorcycle. (Where did he get the bike?)

2. He dons a waiter's jacket and walks into the restaurant carrying a tray (looking just like one of the regular waiters.) While at the restaurant, he knows the locations of all the CCTV cameras and is thus able to avoid them – even though he cannot have known which restaurant Mr Park would go to. In other words, he is familiar with a lot of Seoul restaurants.

3. Ji An arrives at the restaurant, immediately finds the main switchboard and flips the switch. She, too, must be familiar with a lot of Seoul restaurants. Remember, this isn't just any switch. It is The Switch, the big one in a building. It cannot be easily accessible where drunk customers, say, might start playing with it.

4. In the resulting melee, Gi Beom spikes Mr Park's drink. In other words, he has access to some rather dangerous substances. You cannot buy stuff like that at just any drugstore.

5. Ji An flips the switch again and leaves.

6. A designated driver is called to take Mr Park home, but Gi Beom takes his place, accompanies Mr Park to his (Mr Park's car) and drives him to a hotel by the East Sea. He leaves the motorcycle somewhere.

7. Once at the hotel, he manhandles the semi-conscious Mr Park to a room. Again, while registering at the desk, he avoids all CCTV cameras.

8. Gi Beom makes it back to Seoul.

Phew. Did I get it right? Was there still something?

well thought, brilliant 

• Like 2

Question:  when DH finds out about the wire-tapping, it would not be hard for him to realize that JY could have set up the drugging of DW who is his friend, his mentor, supervisor and protector through all those years he has been in the job. Will he be able to forgive JA then? I think it is easier for him to forgive JA for what she had done to him than forgive her for what she did to someone he cares about and respects, someone who helped him through the years.  But could it also be another reason for DH fo fight for the Directorship to make it up to DW for JA's sake understanding what motivated her?  That when he gets his position to give it back to DW? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

What else is new?:lol: so many IU antis that are pissed off right now because this show is  a success ratings wise. They don't like her to succeed as an actress that's all. Thanks to the antis look like My Ajusshi will be the most talk-about drama again next week. 

I feel bad for IU:(. Imagine if that girl will be nominated for Baeksang next year probably her antis will petition the Korean government to investigate the award giving body for corruption. The hate of IU antis know no bounds. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

On 4/22/2018 at 3:11 PM, chickfactor said:

What I predict DH will do:

When we first meet DH, I think we're supposed to think of him as a nebbish. He looks worn out and depressed enough that people comment on it. He has to get off the elevator and bow his head to the C.E.O. of his company who is younger than him, and also banging his wife. We're supposed to feel sorry for him, we thought. But we learned that that is not true.

(1) Ji-An tried to blackmail him regarding the bribe, and told him, "Give me 10K or buy me dinner for one month." At first he agreed, and even gave her 1K, telling her he would pay her every month. But then took back the money and said, "Do whatever you want, I will not let you manipulate me." (This is when I realize that he is not what he seemed.)

(2) What we learned about DH is that he is capable of violence, but he never loses his head. Violence is a last resort for him, but he's very controlled and smart about it. When DH confronted that jerk villa owner who made Sang-Hoon cry, he was really smart about how to make that guy do what he wanted (go apologize to his family).

And after Kwang-Il and DH pounded each other to pulps, DH never lost focus about why he was there, and calmly asked Kwang-Il how much Ji-An owes and that he will pay it.

So what we learned about DH is that he will rage when anyone hurts someone he loves, but he will also be really smart about it.

(3) The next thing we learned about DH is that he does not lose his dignity. He is a cuckold, a man whose wife is cheating on him. And culturally, not just in Asian cultures, but in Western cultures as well, a cuckold is someone who is considered pathetic. (Google dictionary says, "the husband of an adulteress, often regarded as an object of derision.") The implication is that the husband isn't manly enough to make his wife happy. It's considered an embarrassing thing.

So what impressed me about DH's handling of the discovery of his wife's affair, with his enemy, no less, is that while he was upset, he didn't spiral into personal shame and humiliation about it. He was deeply hurt, but he didn't see himself as a big loser, which is how some men would react. As I mentioned before, when he confronted JY about the affair, he was really dignified and called all the shots about what was going to happen next, while JY was the one who devolved into a sniveling weasel.

It's just like how at the work dinner, when DH was humiliated by Team JY, his team members became upset for him, but he kept his cool about it.

All these events do take a lot of out him mentally, which is why he walks around practically hyperventilating all the time. So we know it's not easy for him. But we know he will go out of a limb for someone he loves, and we also know that he doesn't let himself be shamed or humiliated by what others think. He's someone who cares about doing the right thing, but he's not a slave to propriety and social rules.

But he does get embarrassed, and will walk really fast to try and cover that up. :D

I really love what @chickfactor wrote above about Dong Hoon.  For all the talk about his mid-mannerism, he has consistently displayed violent outburst since four weeks back:

1. episode 4: the hammer scene

2. episode 7/8: dragging Joon Young by the collar into the elevator and to the rooftop

3. episode 9: beating the daylight out of Kwang Il

4. shoving/slapping Ji An on the back of the head, knocking her to the ground

5. upcoming: punching Joon Young in the face for supposedly doing what he's been ordered not to

He really is the unpredictable character at this moment, especially if you take seriously what he said at the rooftop, that he himself is curious to see how far he would go when pushed to the limits.  I am seriously anticipating because I have a feeling we ain't seen nothin' yet.

But then I read this by @hushhh and I got worried:

I started reading the thread backwards and someone mention that it was mentioned in the forum that the trajectory is towards a downward spiral.  I see the potential and it causes me to worry about DH as I would a real world friend.  There is deep, latent controlled violence in him. DH's violence is probably as potent as KH, but DH has controlled it.  THe more I sense it, the more I fear it.

In contrast, Ji An, for all her ruthlessness and cold interior, she has shed tears the last few weeks, too:

1. episode 4: hearing DH defend his family's honor with the hammer

2. episode 9: hearing the fight with Kwang Il and the dam broke

3. episode 10: tearing up at having to walk past DH and ignore him in front of Jung Hee's

4. upcoming: more tears as she visits grandma and talks about her newfound friend

But what is with this drama's reluctance to show some physical affection?  I am not even talking between JA and DH. For example, can't JA and grandma hug instead of doing the wresting thing?  

• Like 10

More random thoughts before the new episodes air:

1. What is the writer trying to tell us about the Eastern/Confucian idea of sticking close to the original family vs. the more Western/Christian idea of "cleaving and leaving" and prioritizing your nuclear family?  And does sending the son to America have any significance?

2. Does anyone remember what DH told his older brother about Sang Hoon divorcing his wife?  DH was not against the idea of divorce.  But Sang Hoon clings to his marriage because he does not want to end up alone in his old age, yet he does not seem to be against the idea of having a fling on the side.  I don't know if he was being serious though.  And somehow I think their marriage (Sang Hoon and wife) would survive.  Can Dong Hoon see  himself growing old with Yoon Hee by his side?  

3. Remember Dong Hoon's thinking that a movie featuring three ajusshis would not succeed because it's missing a crucial element?  A woman?  Yeah, he was talking about this drama not being half as interesting without the presence of a woman.  So can we conclude that Ji An is the endgame and not Yoon Hee? 

I sort of can see the community taking in Ji An, whether as DH's love interest or adopting her as their own little sister while DH stays with his wife.  But can Yoon Hee and Ji An accept this arrangement knowing that they would see each other all the time?  The only way this would work is if DH then sticks only to Yoon Hee and cuts down severely his interactions with his original family and the bar friends.  Don't see that happening either.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, timidjock0819 said:

What else is new?:lol: so many IU antis that are pissed off right now because this show is  a success ratings wise. They don't like her to succeed as an actress that's all. Thanks to the antis look like My Ajusshi will be the most talk-about drama again next week. 

I feel bad for IU:(. Imagine if that girl will be nominated for Baeksang next year probably her antis will petition the Korean government to investigate the award giving body for corruption. The hate of IU antis know no bounds. 

Thanks to said clear what we talk is matter drama and standing in character.

There'er still some bitter people who have other intention to drag this drama because we so in love with Jian and PDH and all the character who life in this drama character.

@timidjock0819:heart:

Borrow line from @jowone THIS MAIN LEAD IN CHARACTER is JIAN & PDH

Another is supporting cast, so is normal this drama story invest. More to how they get linked by writer rule, give a 

Prolog,conflict, confrontation, cooling down and epilog more to stand out the lead character.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, zenya22 said:

I don't know why, but I am thinking that those gift certificates will be a key factor in the downfall of JY that somehow the originator/buyer of those gift certificates will be revealed. I don't know if YH knew about the certificate but she knew about the bribe attempt. They could not trace the originator because they have to go through legal means to obtain a subpoena to investigate which could lead to a scandal and Exec Director Wang did not want that. I am thinking that this is where YH would come in. Don't know,  m

Eventually it will happen because the gift certificates (not cards!  westerner mistake:)) were bought with a credit card issued by the company. I think JYD will go down for being an accomplice, his right hand guy ?Mr Kim will likely take the fall coz he was the one who set up everything. DH mentioned in episode 3 or 4? that managers buy the gift certificates to bypass the auditing of the company towards their credit card expenses. So I guess they are good as cash if being given to clients etc... 

6 hours ago, dvdwyn said:

i think this is the writer and director mistakes? JA follows what they write on paper.. haha.. 

same as the fall down to the floor effect when she got hit by DH... should not have fall down, too dramatic and cause an argument here n there... lol.. 

there are many ways to make the confrontantion scene without having to make JA looks so clueless on gift cert isnt it?

lol chingu:lol:.  I say all this CIA stuff that Jian is doing are a little crazy too. The girl must really have some years of training doing this kind of set up under a crime family. I re-watched episode 10, she was pushed hard by DH. Jian is a petite skinny girl, it wouldn't take much effort for her to fall down but she may over exaggerate a little though for the cameras.

5 hours ago, zenya22 said:

sorry, my mistake DH did not have his name on the gift certificates but on the envelope. However the amount of money of the gift cerificates, the loan sharks figure that it was stolen. Kwang Il wanted to call the police on her and have her arrested. He told the other loan shark that he wants her to go to prison. 

Jian is always a step ahead despite the envelope. But of course no matter how perfect the plan, there is the unforeseen human element that she cannot control. Like the other loan shark grabbing the envelope inside her bag,  GI didn't buy that the certificates are legit money. Jian had to quickly improvise her plan and stole back the envelope by knocking down the crate of soju bottles into the car. Quite impressive. Someone here said she could have rule the world with right opportunities. I think she would have been a national intelligence officer or a CIA spy. She put her plans into action with surgical precision. Jian never loses her cool except for the unexpected outburst of Dong Hoon at the end of episode 9. He managed to bring her to tears in that overpass. 

6 hours ago, aisling said:

Reading all your posts I’m more and more convinced that Ji An and Dong Hoon will part ways in the end. I think DH won’t be able to throw everything away... The more I think about it the more I doubt he would disappoint his mother and brothers. They’re going to part ways and cherish each other in their memories. But I still wish DH wouldn’t return to his wife because their relationship seem pretty dead anyway. Will he be able not to think about his wife in another man’s arms?

Hmm.. I agree with you. They will part ways either by death or because of their own volition. Kids are bound to disappoint their parents one way or another. The fact DH has not done any of that with his family is a lot more scarier. Nobody is that perfect. He must have some repressed anger waiting to explode any minute. I think surviving the corporate warfare is the priority of Jian and DH for the moment with enemies on both sides threatening to harm and destroy them. Again, we can all speculate here and there but then the PD always have a bomb explode in our faces with every episode. Who would have thought there was an argument confession on episode 10?:rolleyes:

KWS said in that press conference that episode 9-10 was fun and interesting:angry: - that crazy guy is having a time of his life. But he also stressed the succeeding episodes will be a lot more interesting.. I don't know what he means by that.. but let's wait and see if DH is capable of losing his marbles or he will remain a calm person and keep on fulfilling the expectations of his family. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

More random thoughts before the new episodes air:

1. What is the writer trying to tell us about the Eastern/Confucian idea of sticking close to the original family vs. the more Western/Christian idea of "cleaving and leaving" and prioritizing your nuclear family?  And does sending the son to America have any significance?

Sending the son to America has lots and lots of significance. It broke Do Hoon's "new" family, so he turned back to his "old" family.

2. Does anyone remember what DH told his older brother about Sang Hoon divorcing his wife?

No. We must accept that Older Brother is, quite simply, nuts. He hides money under the floor, right? He thinks success in life means having lots and lots of people come to your mother's funeral, right? Somewhere along the road, Older Brother lost his marbles.

I sort of can see the community taking in Ji An, whether as DH's love interest or adopting her as their own little sister while DH stays with his wife.  But can Yoon Hee and Ji An accept this arrangement knowing that they would see each other all the time? 

Why not? I don't see Do Hoon as a love interest of Ji An's. Which twentyish young woman would buy a (prospective) boyfriend slippers? Isn't that what you buy your father to wear at work?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2