[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

10 hours ago, chickfactor said:

One thing that is implicit, but never explicitly mentioned is about the brothers' father. They mention him twice (that I recall). DH talks about him in Ep.1 when he is laughing in the office about the biggest thing that they've killed (after Ji-An kills the ladybug), and he says that the three brothers held down a pig as his father chopped its head off.

The next time he talks about this is that his father would tell him, "It doesn't matter" to comfort him, but that no one is there to tell him that now.

So my point is that their father has probably passed away, and has left behind a huge void, but they never speak of it explicitly.

This is probably why the three brothers are so close, and why DH is unwilling to move away from their mother.

Yes, I did wonder a lot about that during the show. Ki Hoon and Sang Hoon’s characters seem closer to their moms - they wear their heart on their sleeves, show their emotions more. It makes me wonder if Dong Hoon is perhaps like his father, someone unable to express his emotions, and as a result it keeps building inside him and making him sick — just like Ki Hoon described. When Ki Hoon said that I couldn’t help wondering if that was why his father died early? Because his heart was sick.

@ccl82 and @mylovelystar I DMed both the Instagram and Twitter accounts but no one has answered yet! :angry:

In other news, a Korean fan from DC Inside left this message on my fanfic tonight. I’m so chuffed!

어우...이거 읽는데 본방볼때처럼 설렜다....ㅎㄷㄷ ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

Wow, I read this but...it left my heart pounding, just like the drama. (Unbelievable/tears)

Me: ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Joseph Lim said:

Don't know if this Lee Ji-an parody was share before. Can someone translate the joke they are saying?

HAHA that was hilarious. Did you watch Pasta? It's a mishmash of both. 

Lee Ji An: Buy me food

Cheppu from Pasta (acted by Lee Seun Gyun): Would you like a Vongole pasta? (it's like the love dish of that show)

The second joke was making fun of the "Lee Ji An call me when you hear this" scene...but I couldn't catch the last line he said.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 1
  • LOL 11

@justamom  I love your fanfic!  Just came off from reading your last update and it’s beautiful!  It really has the same feel and atmosphere of the drama. I can so see LSK’s Park Dong Hoon and LJE’s Lee Ji An in your words.  Thank you soooo much! It feeds my obsession with this drama. :D

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, justamom said:

HAHA that was hilarious. Did you watch Pasta? It's a mishmash of both. 

Lee Ji An: Buy me food

Cheppu from Pasta (acted by Lee Seun Gyun): Would you like a Vongole pasta? (it's like the love dish of that show)

The second joke was making fun of the "Lee Ji An call me when you hear this" scene...but I couldn't catch the last line he said.

He said Lee Ji-an i know u can hear me. When you hear this clean up the poop in front of my house

• LOL 12

22 hours ago, fauna said:

Not only does he understand her, he absolved her of all her guilt. He set her spirit free. 

On 3.6.2018 at 8:38 AM, justamom said:

I actually feel that Dong Hoon's confession was deeper and more heartfelt than Ji An's, even though she was more direct.

What DH said:

I feel what you feel. If you hurt because of me, my heart hurts so much

When you know (love) someone, whatever he does doesn't matter. And I know you.

And all the other longing looks, shy glances, and passionate outbursts...

What JA said:

I like you

Do you even understand what it means to like someone?

I don't want to be a fool hanging aorund here looking for you

What DH is indirectly saying : When you breath I breath, when you are happy I am happy, what you feel I feel too. You are inside me, the other half of me.

What Ji An says: I like you. To me, that means she cares for him, is fond of him, and wants to stay by his side.

Like I said earlier though, the turning point for me was the slippers.

@ccl82 what instagram account did you contact? I haven't messaged them yet but will do so later!

I have a couple of really cool things to share from DC Inside, here's the first:

Why are you going so far?

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=54512&page=1

"This for me was Dong Hoon's confession. What he's really saying: why are you going so far = Don't go so far = stay near me"

Really loved this one as well from DC Inside, but I can't figure out how to copy and paste the gifs:

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=54517&page=3

Flustered Dong Hoon

Shy Dong Hoon

Embarassed Dong Hoon

He has the one same reaction: he can't bring himself to meet her eyes...

Just wanted to highlight sentences that really spoke to me. Im not very good at highlighting more than one though. Anyways, thanks everyone for the insights ( @justamom @fauna). I know Jian really like DH. There’s love between them, that’s definite. Although sometimes you just need affirmation and confirmation that others are thinking the same thing you are thinking. Gosh this drama!! 

Referring from Oh Nara’s interview, such a shame how that controversy affected them but maybe in the end it also helped them work harder. As she said, they had to prove the story isn’t what others think it is. If they hadn’t had the controversy before, there probably wouldn’t be this driving force for them to do more and execute in each scene emotions so palpable. In the end, what others were trying to undermine, they put a good light on it instead and that’s part of what made the drama what it is. 

As for Jiseok boarding school abroad, youd be surprised that it’s actually quite a common thing. I have a friend that did the same thing. She came here in middle school so I was quite surprised that such thing actually exists. I mean, they’re so young! But it does happen. 

I feel like this is becoming such a lengthy post but hey, there’s so many things to unravel in this drama.

IU’s Dear Moon. It was one of the least favourite soundtrack for me personally (though I really loved it when it was played showing JiAn’s grandma watching the moon). After finding out about the lyrics however, I fell in love with what it’s saying. I definitely think that it speaks about DH too as much as it speaks about Grandma’s love for the moon in a literal level. The imagery IU used, it just tugs at your heart whenever you think of the drama. 

One of my favourite parts of the dramas (Ive got loads), is when she told Yoon Hee she’s envious of her. Not jealous, but envious. I mean that spoke volumes. It was like she was trying to say so much in that one sentence. It’s like saying, I wish I was in your place instead.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 10

Ok I am rewatching the episodes and saw that in the beginning of ep 14 , the slipper that lj gave had black band. By end , when he became the director the slipper that he wore in his office had brown band. Are they supposed to be the same one that jian gave ? Am inseeing things ?? 

I know if he is actually wearing the slipper given by jian than that itself means a huge confession !! Can anybody help clear my doubt ... I am shipper and this one scenes is suppose to keep the ship afloat !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, t123han said:

Ok I am rewatching the episodes and saw that in the beginning of ep 14 , the slipper that lj gave had black band. By end , when he became the director the slipper that he wore in his office had brown band. Are they supposed to be the same one that jian gave ? Am inseeing things ?? 

I know if he is actually wearing the slipper given by jian than that itself means a huge confession !! Can anybody help clear my doubt ... I am shipper and this one scenes is suppose to keep the ship afloat !!!

Lol maybe he overused the slipper ji an gave him hence the new slipper.  :lol:

9 hours ago, berny said:

First, you feel this unspeakable attraction towards the person in front of you and you’re drawn to that person like a moth to flame. You surrender. And start interacting, talking and, from the first words, you feel like there was something meant to be. Things usually evolve very fast and, before you even realize what’s happening to you, you wake up one morning with an obsessive, compulsive and oh, so incredibly beautiful and intense relationship. You feel the depth of what’s lying in front of you and, scared, you try to run....but alas, it’s not possible. It really isn’t. You’re stuck.

9 hours ago, berny said:

And so i have been reading some random blogs about couple relationships... to past away the time.
Some have happy stories, some not... some mind-boggling.

But one couple "profile" who both partners have a hard time letting go (when they were breaking up) left me stunned...Hahhha

because strangely, it seems to remind me of the DH-JA dynamics..

Hide contents

Profile of A & B

YOU HAVE THE MOST  INTENSE ,LIFE CHANGING RELATIONSHIP 

Clearly what you have is karmic, the most life changing relationship that you will experience, and this  kind of relationship, even if not brought to a physical level, will leave a mark on you for the rest of your life.

From intense desire, obsession, acting completely out of the norm, something is triggered by each of you and  you  are never the same again.
The bond is felt like something beyond your control, and, especially in the beginning of the relationship, this might be frightening.

First, you feel this unspeakable attraction towards the person in front of you and you’re drawn to that person like a moth to flame. You surrender. And start interacting, talking and, from the first words, you feel like there was something meant to be. Things usually evolve very fast and, before you even realize what’s happening to you, you wake up one morning with an obsessive, compulsive and oh, so incredibly beautiful and intense relationship. You feel the depth of what’s lying in front of you and, scared, you try to run....but alas, it’s not possible. It really isn’t. You’re stuck.

With growing awareness... there’s a feeling of intensity in the air  bringing intense feelings and issues right up to the surface but not quite through it. There’s a lot of unconscious behavior...  you feel and sense this  but can’t articulate it, much less direct or utilize it. 

Still you were not able to resist...cannot resist...for your connection cannot be avoided. It was meant to be lived, consumed down to your last living cell.  The need to be with one another is simply irrepressible.

Your innermost psyche is going to be laid bare... all secrets and the subconscious will be pried open.  Like how the most hidden feelings and obsessions could be coming to light for the very first time.  Like you never thought you are capable of feeling.

Usually when these kind of relationships end, it might be very hard for you to be just friends, and sometimes these relationships ten years down the line can still bond the two of you and just the thought of that relationship can trigger an emotional response so intensely.

A helps B change , like a powerful transformation. A have triggered buttons in B he may have never thought were there and purge out things that have been hiding deep inside him.

The arguments in these kind of relationships can make one literally feel like they will die or breakdown is the relationship should end. It is as if they cannot live without the other person. One can get so fearful that one argument can be the end of the relationship.

This strong emotional reaction can be new, this can really happen to anyone, even to the calmest and to the sweetest....explosions galore like a volcano can happen over and over again to the person who is being triggered and transformed.

Even the nicest of people, all of a sudden can display the most aggravated and frustrated emotions from this awakening when their buttons are pushed by their partner. They can go their entire life not reacting that way in relationships, but then someone with a powerful connection to them comes along and literally reveals like a mirror the shadow self of the other person, the side that we keep hidden!  Dark energies that need to be transformed, things we bury and suppress. We deny our dark side our desires, and this person comes along and pow! 
The energies aroused are almost uncontainable.

(hahhhahaha...whatever :tongue:

A brings it out in B and force him to deal with it.  It can be a painful process but these relationships can be very healing for both.

This can work if the other person is ready to recognise their weaknesses and work on them. 
A relationship that cannot be taken lightly, and the passion and union will be very hard to forget.

Oh wow... so who pushes the button of whom... hahhaa
Well they both definitely pushed my buttons...:tongue:

Really loved the post. Thank you! Made me feel like it's the description of everything unsaid between ji an and dong hoon lol. It was really the point of no return for her, the more she got trapped by the wiretap.

@justamom I would have continued with pretty noona maybe if the director stopped using 'stand by your man'. I mean it's played every 2 seconds, which gets pretty tiresome at some point. Whether they laugh or cry or go bonkers it's always stand by your man. Huff. :/

Anyway it's really really hard to go back to conventional kdramas from MM. The mood really gets you and then you want to keep feeling the same way lol. I remember back during my book reading days, whenever I finished any of my favorite author's books, I would go on to her next book, since there would be at least some of the old flavor, and the same undertone left there. But with dramas you can't do the same. :'(

I also want to say something about the use of lights in the drama. From personal experience, I have this tendency of using darker lights, sodium light in my room whenever I feel down or need to declutter my mind. So coming back to the drama, Ji An's room was always dimly lit, sometimes we wouldn't even see anyone sitting there, most of the time light was only on her face or the bedside table. So I guess part of the reason for no light is also because in all those times she wanted a hideaway, to not face the reality, to keep living in those sad moments. Kind of the same goes for dong hoon, and yoon hee as well. There is barely any bright light in their home. In fact for their interior, it's more chilling with almost greenlights, which are more disturbing, and makes me remember some of the horror movies like Saw. So again I would say a lot of thoughts went behind each and every detail, kudos to the art direction team and the creative director. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, t123han said:

They weren’t black they were the brown ones. If you have a look again you’ll see it. It’s more like the lighting was weird. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

@berny  that was a very insightful post about relationships.  Like @nearsea I really thought it described exactly the kind of relationship that Dong Hoon and Ji An have.  No matter what happens from here on, even if they have relationships with other people, they will always be a part of each other.  However, their connection is so intense that it’s very difficult to imagine them being with anyone else as whoever they may get involved with other than each other might suffer in comparison.  And in the process, they may end up fracturing their souls because they will always look for their “other”.  

Look at Dong Hoon.  His marriage suffered because, try as he might, he could never truly connect with Yoon Hee and she knew that.  That’s why she felt very lonely and isolated even when she was with him.  In one episode, she was telling Joon Young about how Dong Hoon always seemed lonely, as if he had lost something. Now we know that it’s not that he had lost something then.  It’s just that his soul was trying to find its other half and it wasn’t his wife.  

@nearsea nice to know that I’m not alone in that feeling of wanting to read other works of an author after you’ve completed one very good work he or she has written.  I do that too. But you’re right in that we can’t do the same with a drama. It’ll never be the same.

I myself want to check out past works of LSK but I know that, no matter how much I may like them, his Park Dong Hoon will always be his best character for me and I will always go back to MA for it.:)

• Like 9

18 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

At first i thought it was just a plot device, but this situation actually happens a lot in SK.

"Such relocations, known as early study abroad, have surged in popularity in South Korea, where a rigid, test-driven education system, combined with intense social pressure to succeed in an English-first global economy, often means breaking up families for the sake of school.

Unlike American students who usually wait until high school or college to study abroad -- and generally limit the experience to a semester or two -- 77 percent of Korean students in the U.S. in 2009 were in elementary or middle school, a time when they are seen as best able to learn English."

you can read more here http://archive.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2012/04/01/in_south_korea_us_education_means_split_families/

I feel like the one that pushes their son to study abroad the most is Yoon Hee, as we could see in the series that she's portrayed as ambitious and career-driven. 

Interesting because the American / Korean Chloe Kim studied in Switzerland when she was also very young and learned to speak French fluently   - quoting article in USA Today "Kim moved to Switzerland, where one of her aunts lives, in third and fourth grade, with Jong Jin and Boran, her mother, alternating trips to visit her."   It is really viewed as a tremendous opportunity for kids to learn about another language and culture. 

• Like 3

So they replied! The My Mister Director Cut's team. Here's their message in full, in Korean:

안녕하세요 나저씨 감독판 추진팀 입니다. 문의해주신 답변을 해드리자면

1. 자막같은 경우에는 아직 확실하게 정해진 바가 없습니다. 하지만 해외수량이 어느정도 채워진다면 저희쪽에서 영자막에 대해 문의는 할수잇을 것 같습니다.

2. 저희가 알아보고 다시 알려드리도록 하겟습니다 죄송합니다

3. 전회대본집같은 경우에도 마찬가지로 확정된 사항이 없습니다.

하지만 저희쪽에서도 특전 중에서도 전회대본집을 가장 원하고 있기 때문에 받을 수 있도록 할 것입니다. 하지만 이 모든 것이 이루어지려면 수량 채우는 것이 제일 중요합니다. 목표수량이 채워지지않으면 요구할 수 잇는 것들도 점차 줄어들게 됩니다. 앞으로도 많은 참여와 홍보 부탁드립니다. 감사합니다

Translation, and my questions below:

I told them I'm representing fans from Soompi's My Ahjussi forum, and there are more than 10 of us interested if there will be subtitles.

1) Have the subtitles been confirmed?

No, nothing has been confirmed. If there is enough overseas demand, from our end we can start looking into providing English subtitles.

2) Will the Blu Ray be play-able across all regions?

I'm so sorry, please let me get back to you on this?

3) Will the scripts be provided?

At this point it hasn't been confirmed. But we understand (from all the feedback) that amongst all the specials this is the one most in demand.

To fulfill all these requests, the most important thing is to have sufficient numbers! If we can't hit our target numbers we can only request less and less things...So if I may kindly request, please participate and get the word out to more people! Thank you very much! (bowing emoticon)

to be continued...

@mylovelystar you might want to share this with IU fans?

P.S. I'm going to ask him/her to pass a message to the PD team about how much we loved the show, and that we have fans from Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Russia, the US, Kenya! Anyone else? Let me know!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

32 minutes ago, justamom said:

So they replied! The My Mister Director Cut's team. Here's their message in full, in Korean:

1. 자막같은 경우에는 아직 확실하게 정해진 바가 없습니다. 하지만 해외수량이 어느정도 채워진다면 저희쪽에서 영자막에 대해 문의는 할수잇을 것 같습니다.

하지만 저희쪽에서도 특전 중에서도 전회대본집을 가장 원하고 있기 때문에 받을 수 있도록 할 것입니다. 하지만 이 모든 것이 이루어지려면 수량 채우는 것이 제일 중요합니다. 목표수량이 채워지지않으면 요구할 수 잇는 것들도 점차 줄어들게 됩니다. 앞으로도 많은 참여와 홍보 부탁드립니다. 감사합니다

I told them I'm representing fans from Soompi's My Ahjussi forum, and there are more than 10 of us interested if there will be subtitles.

No, nothing has been confirmed. If there is enough overseas demand, from our end we can start looking into providing English subtitles.

At this point it hasn't been confirmed. But we understand (from all the feedback) that amongst all the specials this is the one most in demand.

To fulfill all these requests, the most important thing is to have sufficient numbers! If we can't hit our target numbers we can only request less and less things...So if I may kindly request, please participate and get the word out to more people! Thank you very much! (bowing emoticon)

to be continued...

P.S. I'm going to ask him/her to pass a message to the PD team about how much we loved the show, and that we have fans from Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Russia, the US, Kenya! Anyone else? Let me know!

Thank you @justamom There are also many fans from the Spanish speaking countries (judging from comments on Dramafever and Instagram), China, and Taiwan.  

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Thank you @justamom There are also many fans from the Spanish speaking countries (judging from comments on Dramafever and Instagram), China, and Taiwan.  

I'm sure they know a lot about the Chinese market. I'm talking about us here on Soompi  :D

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, justamom said:

to be continued...

Thanks so much! 

I actually DMed My Mister Director Cut's team on twitter but they didn't reply thus far.  I'm glad they replied to you and will definitely share this with the IU fans I know.

@Joseph Lim please help too, thanks!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@justamom thanks so much for asking them.  If you could kindly tell them that MA has numerous English-speaking fans as well.  I’m trying to find the link where we can log our interest for an international edition of the bluray dvd but I can’t seem to find it.  :)

• Like 5

Apparently there's an $8 voucher, only available until tomorrow. Ahhh...I'm not ready to decide yet! It's a lot of money!!

And shipping will be another US$25!

I asked DC Inside folks and they said Directors Cuts of popular dramas they bought in the past all come with English subtitles, so they think if enough of us order subtitles will probably be included.

@akhenaten link is here. Unfortunately I think you have to pay immediately

https://global.yes24.com/Goods/61190049

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, justamom said:

Apparently there's an $8 voucher, only available until today. Ahhh...I'm not ready to decide yet! It's a lot of money!!

And shipping will be another US$25!

I asked DC Inside folks and they said Directors Cuts of popular dramas they bought in the past all come with English subtitles, so they think if enough of us order subtitles will probably be included.

@justamom  did those Director’s Cuts also have english translations in their leaflets, photobooks, etc? 

• Like 3