[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

40 minutes ago, mushroomsoupie said:

IU is truly an amazing singer songwriter. She wrote the most beautiful and poetic lyrics. She must've read a lot of books.. Since IU wrote this song using the perspective of Ji An, this song is probably about her grandma's infatuation with the moon, but it's interesting how by looking at the lyrics, Dong Hoon is the first person that comes to my mind instead. (It doesn't help too that Dong Hoon rhymes with Moon lol)

The way i interpret it, the first verse is JA talking to DH, and the second verse is DH talking to JA, and the 3rd verse is JA's afterthought...

@mushroomsoupie - (sorry to cut your post)   Thanks for posting this lovely song's translation.  It indeed is such a beautiful song, melody and lyrics-wise.  And, of course, she sings it perfectly.

I think your interpretation of who's talking to who matches well.  Moon with a low voice?  Dong Hoon, of course!  And I laughed when you said Dong Hoon rhymes with Moon because I thought the same thing!  

He is up there, a beacon in the night, a celestial being that's far off and seemingly unattainable, and a fellow loner.  

• Like 8

답을 한다

망설이던 대답
아스라이 거기 너를

왜인지 난, 다 알 것 같다고

I replied you

A hesitant answer
Vaguely over there where you are
I said I think I understand why now

--

I don't think this part is translated properly.

I answered you

A hesitant answer

dimly, over there, you

Somehow, I think I understand everything (about you)

The bolded part definitely sounds like it could be about DH!

Thanks for this @mushroomsoupie , it really sounds like she's singing a love song to DH.

And it makes sense. In a lot of ways, the moonlight sojourn was when their relationship began, or took a significant turn. And all their nighttime walks together is when their relationship really blossomed.

--

@justamom -

"This for me was Dong Hoon's confession. What he's really saying: why are you going so far = Don't go so far = stay near me"

I absolutely agree. This is why I think the "buy me new slippers" dialogue was also him confessing to her. He is saying very clearly, "I want you to remain a part of my life." That's just the kind of person he is. He's oblique, but he's also very clear about what he wants.

--

The drawbacks of watching a great show is that it's hard to move on, and it's hard to find something new. This darn show has really has ruined me.

Is anyone watching anything good? I'm trying, but...

Spoiler

- Greasy Melo - Too silly to take seriously, and I can't get invested in any of the characters. I have it on in the background when I'm cleaning or something. It has bright colors, snappy background music, and when I stop every 15 minutes or so to see the screen, someone's doing something wacky.

- Miss Hamurabi - It's oookay. It's about social justice and fighting for those who have no power. An after-school special, except about judges. I like all the main actors, but it's not a must-watch. I'll probably finish it, but I'm in no rush.

- Bap-Noona - I watched the 1st 4 episodes or so, and I liked it. But then I read some reviews that the second half is terrible? So... pass.

This is from the Dramabeans recap of the final episodes:

COMMENTS

You know what? I’m so relieved this show is over right now. That unnecessarily bloated, navel-gazing finale was just exhausting, and directorially self-indulgent to the point that I’ve decided never to watch another Ahn Pan-seok drama.

Yikes.

- Come and Hug Me - Starring the actor who played Kwang-Il! And Jae-Chul is also in it!

This one is actually pretty good, it's the best thing I'm watching right now. Normally I avoid shows like this, about serial killers - I just don't love this genre that much. But the storyline is interesting enough and the actors are all doing great.

That's about it. Anyone watching anything good?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, mushroomsoupie said:

IU is truly an amazing singer songwriter. She wrote the most beautiful and poetic lyrics. She must've read a lot of books.. Since IU wrote this song using the perspective of Ji An, this song is probably about her grandma's infatuation with the moon, but it's interesting how by looking at the lyrics, Dong Hoon is the first person that comes to my mind instead. (It doesn't help too that Dong Hoon rhymes with Moon lol)

The way i interpret it, the first verse is JA talking to DH, and the second verse is DH talking to JA, and the 3rd verse is JA's afterthought...

1st verse (JA -> DH)

Dear moon my moon
Why can’t I get closer to you?
Though I trail behind you with quick steps
You’re like the moon that I can’t reach

Oh moon like moon
Why is it that you don’t disappear?
Though I try to turn around and run away
You’re like the moon that follows me

You

Could it be fate?
The moment our eyes met
I thought I heard you talk to me
with your low voice

I replied you

A hesitant answer

2nd verse (DH -> JA)
Oh moon
My moon

It’s not like I don’t want to hug you
But I know you’re much too large for me
to hold in my arms

Oh moon
My moon

It’s not like I don’t want to have you
But it’s because you’re so dazzling to me
And I am such a dark night

Could it be fate?
On your pale face
I think I saw a shadowy smudge
that doesn’t suit you
Waving my hands at you
Signalling you to come over
I said there’s a loner here
who’s very much like you

that won’t disappear

3rd verse (JA)
My only moon
Just as it’s unreachable
Deep into the night
The silence of the white moonlight
I’ll stay awake tonight as well

translated by iuteamstarcandy

----------------

This is just so sad.... And now I'M CRYING AGAIN. Their relationship is just so bittersweet.

@mushroomsoupie  From the first time I heard this song played in the drama, I always thought it referred both to Grandma’s love of the moon and Ji An’s love for Dong Hoon.  In particular, that part where the lyrics refer to the first time she heard his low voice speaking to her and then the part where she says the moon (i.e. Dong Hoon)  is too large for her to hold in her arms.  The lyrics are actually very sad indeed.  

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

@mushroomsoupie  From the first time I heard this song played in the drama, I always thought it referred both to Grandma’s love of the moon and Ji An’s love for Dong Hoon.  In particular, that part where the lyrics refer to the first time she heard his low voice speaking to her and then the part where she says the moon (i.e. Dong Hoon)  is too large for her to hold in her arms.  The lyrics are actually very sad indeed.  

Yeah, this is my favorite song in the OST.

She is saying that the moon seems too large to hold in her arms.

Second part, she is saying that the moon (DH) seems too bright because she is such a dark night. At first, I think she was very down on herself and didn't feel worthy to have real relationships with people, so she probably felt like she was too "dark," and that he seems too "bright" in comparison.

So I agree, that does seem like she is talking to DH - that he seemed too big and bright for her to have.

So she tried to turn away from him, and he was always there.

Anyway, I love this song because it reminds me of when I was a kid. When you look up at the moon at night while you're riding in a car, it seems like it's following you. And my parents would tell me that the moon was following me because it loved me so much. I actually believed that! :D

Anyway, this song reminded me of that. Also, since this is "grandma's song," they play it often when they show grandma, and that's just (yet) another trigger for crying. :dissapointed_relieved:

I miss this show.

• Like 14

10 hours ago, africandramalover said:

check put this post on Tumblr. How the Russian naysayers were converted to hard-core My Ahjussi lovers.

https://anditendshowyoudexpect.tumblr.com/post/174502334181/i-have-evolved-now-i-dont-even-need-to-watch-the

In my rewatch, I have noticed something small related to this conversation.... I'm on episode 7 and in the preview to episode 8, Dong Hoon says to someone that, "None of the people I had thought of as pillars are actually holding me up". This is after DH discovers that YH is cheating. I immediately remembered this post you made. WRITERNIM didn't come to play!!

Can we say that even in their poor marriage, (Mr stability and predictability) DH still looked to YH and the marriage as a "pillar" in his life? No wonder the change in convo and focus on JA at the end as you've noted.

Other people who should be pillars are his mother and brothers and the estate gang. When Monk disappeared DH inherited the title of "most likely to succeed in life". He carries everyones expectations,  but none of those people is much help to him.

At the beginning of Ep8, DH and JA are drinking and the howling wind starts blowing down the door of the bar. If I'm not mistaken, this is the bar owner who is also divorced. Wind/breeze in Korean uses the same word as affair... param. 

The three of them go out to check the stress measuring equipment that DH had put a while back. DH looks at a gadget on the wall that's tracking a crack.

DH: it's the same.

Bar owner:that's weird.

they go over to the plumb line which is spinning.

DH: this part is just as it was. It hasn't gotten any worse.

Bar owner: really? That's so weird. Honestly,  it looks like it's leaning a bit more this way now.

DH: seeing how there aren't issues with the frame, it must be an internal problem. But it could stabilise later, so I'll keep an eye on it.

Bar owner: but why is it that buildings nowadays always have issues?

this is right after JA makes YH listen to the recording of what JY really thinks of her and the affair. (YH then goes to the campsite and doesn't find JY who'd said that they couldn't meet up because he was there.)

The conversation was definitely put there as a mirror of their dead marriages. When the bar owner says that the already cracking building is leaning a bit more; that's DH, leaning more now from the additional strain that the revelation of the affair has caused.  The building is the marriage and the cracks can be the affairs their wives had.

The internal problem DH talks about must be his internal strength... his overwhelming stress that is also causing "cracks" in his "building", what with his breathing and draggy walking. He's not a "fit structure" due to these problems straining him. 

Remember that there's been at least two times he stops in the street and keels over in pain, much like the building. It happens in episode 8 after he walks JA to her place and walks home. She hears him breathing and panics. 

When DH says that the building could stabilise later (an extremely curious JA is right there) I'm thinking, hmmmm, she's the reinforcement pillar in his life and the one who'll stabilise him!

Also, previously, DH is berated by the CEOs lackey for pouring himself a drink. This is at the company dinner where DH is humiliated with consent of the CEO. In episode 7, I noticed how he doesn't even need prompting to pour JA her drink when they have the drink where JA finally smiles. 

Don't y'all wish this drama had been preproduced?

This drama has made excellent use of symbols and motifs to carry the story. Another motif would be DHs constant repetition of "It's nothing" as his coping mechanism. I must rewatch and take notes as a writer!

As pertains to my earlier question.... honestly, I would not have dated DH. I don't think he was this reserved and defeated by life while he was in campus, but I'm too outgoing and choleric for him! Especially the choleric part!!

EDIT: With all the literary devices and phrases and themes we've picked up in this drama, maybe the writer should make it into a book. It would the kind of book that examiners love as a literature set book for secondary education where I am from. 

Wow, @africandramalover, that is some heavy duty detail analysis; very mind-blowing.  I am actually thankful the show is not pre-produced because the negative reaction was actually the strongest with the news of IU casting and got less and less as the show went deeper in the story.  If it had been pre-produced they would have been even more careful, I think.

2 hours ago, justamom said:

I actually feel that Dong Hoon's confession was deeper and more heartfelt than Ji An's, even though she was more direct.

What DH said:

I feel what you feel. If you hurt because of me, my heart hurts so much

When you know (love) someone, whatever he does doesn't matter. And I know you.

And all the other longing looks, shy glances, and passionate outbursts...

What JA said:

I like you

Do you even understand what it means to like someone?

I don't want to be a fool hanging aorund here looking for you

What DH is indirectly saying : When you breath I breath, when you are happy I am happy, what you feel I feel too. You are inside me, the other half of me.

What Ji An says: I like you. To me, that means she cares for him, is fond of him, and wants to stay by his side.

Like I said earlier though, the turning point for me was the slippers.

"This for me was Dong Hoon's confession. What he's really saying: why are you going so far = Don't go so far = stay near me"

You are absolutely right that Park Dong Hoon's feelings and confessions were more soul-deep.  And this is perhaps one reason people have a hard time moving on yet.  They have not completely figured out Park Dong Hoon.  This character seems to encourage the deepest of pondering.  

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

12 hours ago, africandramalover said:

check put this post on Tumblr. How the Russian naysayers were converted to hard-core My Ahjussi lovers.

I got curious and checked the Russian site for the comments. On the last episode's comment section everyone is saying that it was a new begging for DH and JA and that the writer wouldn't bring JA back to Seoul for nothing.

btw here's a comment that made me laugh: "JA's love turned DH from a frightened cat into a lion. But some brainwashed people still insist that all they had was friendship". 

P.S. might translate some comments later, if any of you are intereseted

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2

@africandramalover Thank you so much for the link to this blog! I got to stumble upon this awesome gif montage ever made, on the lyrics from 'What If This Is All The Love You Ever Get? by snow patrol. 

https://anditendshowyoudexpect.tumblr.com/post/174380799576/what-if-this-is-all-the-love-you-ever-get-youd#notes

Go visit the link to see the awesome thing. 

A screenshot for a quick look.

bqXOslh.jpg

7NF7b3H.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, anipanch said:

I got curious and checked the Russian site for the comments. On the last episode's comment section everyone is saying that it was a new begging for DH and JA and that the writer wouldn't bring JA back to Seoul for nothing.

btw here's a comment that made me laugh: "JA's love turned DH from a frightened cat into a lion. But some brainwashed people still insist that all they had was friendship". 

@anipanch  Lion?  Engineer Dong Hoon is more like a cautious turtle....one step at a time just like a timid baby.

He first learn how to eat (with a woman)...choke on beer (with a woman)… That only took a few months....

Then years later he learn how to shake hand and smile with a woman!  That for him is  a huge step!...a huge beginning as you said!  All for the sake of....."friendship".

Russians speak Korean too?

• Like 4
  • LOL 8

7 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

1st verse (JA -> DH)

Dear moon my moon
Why can’t I get closer to you?
Though I trail behind you with quick steps
You’re like the moon that I can’t reach

Oh moon like moon
Why is it that you don’t disappear?
Though I try to turn around and run away
You’re like the moon that follows me

You

Could it be fate?
The moment our eyes met
I thought I heard you talk to me
with your low voice

I replied you

A hesitant answer

2nd verse (DH -> JA)
Oh moon
My moon

It’s not like I don’t want to hug you
But I know you’re much too large for me
to hold in my arms

Oh moon
My moon

It’s not like I don’t want to have you
But it’s because you’re so dazzling to me
And I am such a dark night

Could it be fate?
On your pale face
I think I saw a shadowy smudge
that doesn’t suit you
Waving my hands at you
Signalling you to come over
I said there’s a loner here
who’s very much like you

that won’t disappear

3rd verse (JA)
My only moon
Just as it’s unreachable
Deep into the night
The silence of the white moonlight
I’ll stay awake tonight as well

translated by iuteamstarcandy

----------------

This is just so sad.... And now I'M CRYING AGAIN. Their relationship is just so bittersweet.

Thanks much for this. I am beginning to think that despite watching MA twice and poring over each and every little scene, I somehow missed some nuances of MA because I dont know korean. This is actually the first time I used google translate so much just to understand some key words like "wife" or "home person". Made we wish I can understand and read Korean. I might have bawled my heart out crying even more if I know the lyrics of the songs. As it is, I feel the longing in the songs just based on the melody. I cant play them on youtube because they seem so sad. Thats how good they were, they transcended language barrier. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks! :)
  • Like 10

I happened upon clips of an old LSK comedy film called “Petty Romance”.  I didn’t watch the whole thing but the clips of him made me laugh coz his character and acting there is soooo different from MA.  He looked batshit insane in that movie.  Makes me wonder how an actual rom-com with him and LJE would be like.  He’s so versatile. :)

Anyhoo, I’m still watching bits and pieces of MA on YT and so many scenes still get to me. This is really the kind of drama that needs re-watching because it’s so complex and the characters are multi-layered.  And the fact that the director and writer didn’t spoonfeed us with information allows us to dissect and break down each scene and every word and find something we didn’t see before. 

I cannot thank enough the whole team that brought this gem to us.  And of course to LSK and LJE and all the other actors who brought all the characters to life.  I hope you guys work together again in the future. :)

• Like 18

4 hours ago, anipanch said:

@anipanch, LOL at the brainwashed comment, but they were not wrong.  Many many viewers have indeed been brainwashed by "this is not a romance drama", which mutated into "there is no love line."  And yes, please translate away.

12 minutes ago, kdramafanlsk said:

Thanks much for this. I am beginning to think that despite watching MA twice and poring over each and every little scene, I somehow missed some nuances of MA because I dont know korean. This is actually the first time I used google translate so much just to understand some key words like "wife" or "home person". Made we wish I can understand and read Korean. I might have bawled my heart out crying even more if I know the lyrics of the songs. As it is, I feel the longing in the songs just based on the melody. I cant play them on youtube because they seem so sad. Thats how good they were, they transcended language barrier. 

This is why I am still sad that VIKI did not get the license because they translate lyrics of OST.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

This is why I am still sad that VIKI did not get the license because they translate lyrics of OST.

I hope Netflix buys this drama sometime in future. At least they have paid subbers and better ones than dramafever, so the original message won't be lost in the transition. 

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

@anipanch, LOL at the brainwashed comment, but they were not wrong.  Many many viewers have indeed been brainwashed by "this is not a romance drama", which mutated into "there is no love line."  And yes, please translate away.

And seriously, the translation of last scene was an epic fail. :lol: I wish I could sue for the emotional distress I felt when I read reference to "wife" in that scene in coffee shop. :lol::lol::lol:that alone brought me to soompi :lol: i was so glad someone explained the change in terminologies used to refer to YH. 

If tvn will correct the subs in their release, it will be another reason to buy it despite the cost. I am just wondering if an english version of the script is too farfetched to hope for? Id really love to get hold of the script or even just the sequence treatment with director/writer's notes on how to execute the scene (but I can only read it if it is translated to english).

• Like 13
  • LOL 1

9 hours ago, chickfactor said:

답을 한다

망설이던 대답
아스라이 거기 너를

왜인지 난, 다 알 것 같다고

I replied you

A hesitant answer

--

I don't think this part is translated properly.

I answered you

A hesitant answer

dimly, over there, you

Somehow, I think I understand everything (about you)

The bolded part definitely sounds like it could be about DH!

Thanks for this @mushroomsoupie , it really sounds like she's singing a love song to DH.

And it makes sense. In a lot of ways, the moonlight sojourn was when their relationship began, or took a significant turn. And all their nighttime walks together is when their relationship really blossomed.

--

@justamom -

I absolutely agree. This is why I think the "buy me new slippers" dialogue was also him confessing to her. He is saying very clearly, "I want you to remain a part of my life." That's just the kind of person he is. He's oblique, but he's also very clear about what he wants.

--

The drawbacks of watching a great show is that it's hard to move on, and it's hard to find something new. This darn show has really has ruined me.

Is anyone watching anything good? I'm trying, but...

Reveal hidden contents

- Greasy Melo - Too silly to take seriously, and I can't get invested in any of the characters. I have it on in the background when I'm cleaning or something. It has bright colors, snappy background music, and when I stop every 15 minutes or so to see the screen, someone's doing something wacky.

- Miss Hamurabi - It's oookay. It's about social justice and fighting for those who have no power. An after-school special, except about judges. I like all the main actors, but it's not a must-watch. I'll probably finish it, but I'm in no rush.

- Bap-Noona - I watched the 1st 4 episodes or so, and I liked it. But then I read some reviews that the second half is terrible? So... pass.

This is from the Dramabeans recap of the final episodes:

COMMENTS

You know what? I’m so relieved this show is over right now. That unnecessarily bloated, navel-gazing finale was just exhausting, and directorially self-indulgent to the point that I’ve decided never to watch another Ahn Pan-seok drama.

Yikes.

- Come and Hug Me - Starring the actor who played Kwang-Il! And Jae-Chul is also in it!

This one is actually pretty good, it's the best thing I'm watching right now. Normally I avoid shows like this, about serial killers - I just don't love this genre that much. But the storyline is interesting enough and the actors are all doing great.

That's about it. Anyone watching anything good?

I followed sadiesmith's advice and watched "my wife is having an affair this week". I had to get past first few episodes because I felt bad for LSK's character but I eventually liked it. It was the catharsis I needed after watching MA. The subplots of supporting characters are funny too. But I couldnt start any new drama now. So I am trying a reality tvn show with so ji sub and park shin hye called "a little cabin in the forest". It is a huge departure from a drama so I dont have to evaluate it based on MA standards. It may not be for everyone though. I just find myself bursting into laughter in some moments with SJS, he looks so uncomfortable doing reality Tv. I am thinking he is so pensive he is more like DH than LSK! :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Here are some of the comments from Russian viewers: 

Comments from ep 1:
"Boring, gloomy and uninteresting (( I watched 1,5 episodes and regret that I killed time with it"
"I was so bored that it took five days to finish the first episode"
"1.5 hours about nothing. They at least should have inserted some kind of intrigue"
"She killed the ladybug? Are they insane?"
"I fell in love with Lee Ji Ah all over again. Please no romance with IU, let him reconcile with his wife"
"The actors have such big age difference, let's see what will come out of it"

Comments from ep 4
"The actors, especially the leads are performing amazingly!!"
"The brother moments are so full of sincerity, even tho they are idiots, they are still kindhearted"
"Can't argue that the drama is amazing.IU is doing great with her acting, as for LSG you can't help but fll for him"
"I'm watching solely for the male lead's sake, what a man and the voice..."

Ep 8 comments
"The drama makes me want to watch each character's story separately"
"KI's eyes when he realized that JA might like someone else"
"Astonishing drama, been a while since I saw something this good, IU is amazing, everyone is great"

Ep 10 comments
"Already 10th episode and the interest hasn't decreased even a bit!"
"From start it didn't interest me, but now I'm so hooked, I'm getting crazy about this drama"
"You can break up this drama into quotes and write an instruction book about how to survive life"

Ep 11 comments
"I weeped in the end"
"It's clear that JA loves DH but I'm not so sure in his feelings"
"It's been a while seems a worried so much for fictional characters"
"When I watch this drama, my heart clenches from pain. When he said, to buy him new slippers, can't even describe what I felt, happiness and relief"

Ep 12 comments
"How could JA not fall in love with DH - this girl with broken heart and injured soul. She probably haven't felt so much understanding and compassion for her whole life that DH gave her in one day"
"Mixed feelings. But I see more paternal love"
"What fatherly feelings are some of you talking about. At the end of the series she is looking at him with so much admiration. And DH like a satisfied cat is relishing in her feelings. I still can't understand his feelings, but JA is definitely head over heels in love"
"From my point, the love is there but their history is like an anecdote about two decent people who will endlessly give each other space and compete in nobility. It's hard for DH to give himself a right to love again in such age. And for JA, it seems to be unreal to become normal again after such dead life."

Ep 14 comments 
"this is not a drama, but a sort of marble block created with dignity by Michelangelo."
"This episode is by far my most favorite. All the feelings are there, I got unreal experience from watching it and envy everyone who has yet to discover My mister"
"I'm amazed. How can you shoot like this? Act like this? The drama is incredibly rich"

Ep 16 comments
"This is the best thing I have ever watch in my entire life! A masterpiece with capital letters! A big respect to the writer, director and the actors! As for IU, she just grew in my eyes as an actress so much"
"Best drama I have ever watched, I have no words. A celebration of kindness."
"Love exists in different forms. Here's an unrequited one but it doesn't matter. Anyone here loved someone so much, that they were content by just seeing their favorite person happy?"
"DH's happy smile makes me smile as well, he is so content that he met such beautiful, confident and well-groomed JA. DH looks at her with so much pride, I'm very satisfied with the ending"

P.S. unfortunately, the Russian subbers also translated "My son's mother" as a "wife" 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8