[Drama 2018] Misty 미스티

Go Seung Ji

14 hours ago, africandramalover said:

The only reason I am able to excuse his undying commitment and responsibility to GHR is because she had made her stand clear from the very beginning. 

In real life, I can see how such an arrangement may work for a very few, rare, unicorn type people..... I wouldn't do it tho. You have to Love me...... surely!! This one sided love that Korean dramas love is too foreign a concept for me. 

Love to me is commitment and responsibility and holding your end of the bargain. I understand TW so much. But I'm no martyr.

If I look at this from the Korean angle that we've picked up from watching dramas, you are right. Tae Wook's mum is right.

But the Kenyan in me doesn't see how a mother in law can dare say such things to my face. The push here is for mother's in law not to be known as bad MILs. The pressure is so high, the titles have unofficially changed to mother/daughter/son/father IN LOVE. people want to make the distinction from the evil in-laws stereotype, to making it a statement that they accept the new family member wholeheartedly.

The idea of being related by law doesn't also exist in African society. The marriage is a joining of two families and clans, not a legal declaration, so this concept is really harped on. But obviously bad MILs exist!

A parent/any outsider cannot come and purport to give opinions or dictate about a marriage. There's a saying that, "The issues of those who sleep under one blanket can only be understood by them". Meaning, keep out, however well intentioned. I would listen respectfully, since parents are second to god here, but decide whether i should consider her opinion. Or not.

Marriage is a pre-political institution so even before we had governments, marriage was already in existence. What government and other legal entities do is recognize what takes place between two people.

The fact that marriage is just a matter between two people is relatively recent idea. Whether it's the joining of two families or whether the woman becomes a part of her husband's family, marriage has seldom been just about two people. Even today. Especially when children are involved as well as custodial rights. That's why the state has to step in to arbitrate.

I can't speak much to K culture aside from what I've read and seen but contemporary Koreans are people living in social transition like most other places in Asia I would imagine. There would be more liberal in-laws and more traditional ones depending on how much people are influenced by prevailing individualistic notions of raising a family. I wouldn't imagine TW's mother to be particularly controlling... they don't live under the same roof and she doesn't show up at the house every day. But she is conservative in that she holds to certain cultural, social and moral norms. Her ideas of how women should conduct themselves in public and in their marriages would have been very much the norm when she was growing up and even as a young woman married into a high profile legal family she would have been very conscious of the responsibility of carrying on the family name or maintaining the family reputation.

HR is unusually respectful of her mother-in-law especially in comparison with everyone else. With colleagues, politicians and even workplace superiors she can be cocky and defiant but with MIL, she turns into a reticent Joseon housewife. :D With all her claims to girl power, I'm guessing that there are aspects to HR's personality that are still rooted in traditional customs of behaviour. Or maybe she's grateful that MIL accepted her when FIL didn't. 

She certainly saw the sense in what MIL said about the effect this case has had on TW and tacitly agreed. That's why she asked for the divorce. To me all these people are still very much creatures of their contexts.

The power of mothers-in-law have diminished over the years in many collectivist cultures. But I remember watching adaptations of Chinese novels as a child where women were beaten by their in-laws. Thank goodness I never had to witness such things personally! :D

I'm no martyr either. :wink: But these are people who hold to values from a bygone era and for some of us, it may seem hard to accept especially when abuse is involved. Still, the pendulum has swung to the other extreme with marriage.

@zenya22

13 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Yup this has become a powerplay and manipulation of law set up by the Golden door members specifically Kang Yool. All the players know how to play the game even EJ except for the prosecutor. Being a prosecutor, he is aware of the games played by the powerful members of the Golden door but does not know how to play it. He does not know the rules and has no idea when to play hide or when to play seek. It seems he does not have the cunning, the brains or the flexibility to adjust quickly to changes. He thinks he knows the game plan. He may have just realized that he has no idea. He is totally out of his league. 

The over ambitious prosecutor is really too eager to be given entry into the Golden Door Club that he would do anything that CEO Kang tells him to. CEO tells him to jump and he just says, "How high?"

Here is another person who sees themselves as a victim... in this case of not being born in the right family and so not have the right connections. Therefore he believes he has to circumvent the justice system to kowtow to the powerbrokers. 

Of course there's a precedent when he held HR in custody for 48 hours and Kang Yool sent a lawyer whose job it was to waste time while the prosecutor's office raided JBC and other places. I suppose he believes CEO Kang will do the same thing for him again except that he doesn't know about the deal between Kang Yool and HR.

Unbeknownst to him, he has become a pawn and most likely a scapegoat if anything goes bust.

@africandramalover  :D

I imagine HR ran out of the house without telling Detective Kang why she was in such a hurry. I don't think it was because he is incompetent in as much as she didn't tell him what was going on. :wink:

@jd50

K women and their stilettos... I don't know why there isn't a lower back pain epidemic in SK.

If one day I ever give up teaching completely, I will retrain as a podiatrist and set up shop in Seoul. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many questions have not yet been answered...each character have this complex character that we all are curious about..until now we dont know yet who is the murderer or if there is really a crime committed.... the title really serves it purpose..Misty... we are only 4 episodes left and we are still clueless.. normally when we watched other dramas the viewers know who the culprit is and we are just waiting for it to be revealed or discovered in the story..this time its actually us who are being played by the writer..

4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

The power of mothers-in-law have diminished over the years in many collectivist cultures. But I remember watching adaptations of Chinese novels as a child where women were beaten by their in-laws. Thank goodness I never had to witness such things personally!

It's an Asian thing it seems... there are Kenyans of Asian origin who've been around for almost 150 years, (Indians from Gujarat and Punjabi), and the MILs still rule their son's homes!! Such a direct contrast from African culture! I'm trying to imagine my mum making demands from my husband..... nope, not gonna happen! You have a problem with hubby, talk to me first.

My indian dentist had an abusive husband and crazy MIL.... she killed her hubby.... spent some time in jail, came out, and went back to dentistry. I still visit her, she does a good job on my teeth. And I've been with her since I was a kid so, death cannot part us!:blush:

4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I imagine HR ran out of the house without telling Detective Kang why she was in such a hurry. I don't think it was because he is incompetent in as much as she didn't tell him what was going on. :wink:

Entirely plausible.... but why was he chasing her on the road?? With his authority as policeman to break traffic rules, he was still outpaced by GHR? All this time and he cannot overspeed?-_-:D

Randomly browsing articles, and found this interesting quote in a Go Joon interview that reminded me of what some of us discussed earlier @bebebisous33 @jd50

http://chicnews.mk.co.kr/article.php?aid=1520833575179159012

"Before we talk about who Kevin Lee was to Go Hye Ran, we must understand that after Go Hye Ran dumped him, there was no other woman he could give his heart to. There was no other woman for him after her. Go Hye Ran was his last true love and his last woman. Even after he married Seo Eun Joo, even after Han Ji Won, he gave neither of them his heart. His heart was closed off to both of them from the start."

Man, Go Hye Ran you heartbreaker!!

In a way, Go Hye Ran reminds me of other strong characters played by Chinese actress Sun Li, in the legend of Mi Yue (about China's first empress) and Nothing Gold Can Stay (China's most successful businesswoman). Those female characters are so strong they burn fires in their path. And then the men fall hopelessly in love and even die for her.

On 3/11/2018 at 3:46 PM, Latte_Anyday said:
  • HR has mad skills as a stunt driver in stiletto heels
  • HR sits like a boss in the back seat even when TW drives her to the courthouse. Hubby chauffeur!
  • Why is everyone surprised, including the detective and the prosecutor that the witness saw a man? Did they not question the witness before trial??? Lol. 

LOL ...mad skills as a stunt driver in stiletto heels.  Like you, I was impressed with the driving skills... I think the detective was also,  I think it made him realize that HR loves her husband... that and MW was out of jail.  I think the detective always thought that MW took the fall for HR or killed for her, since he is free, the detective started to think that maybe MW stepped in again for HR...I am hoping this is not the case.  The two men I hope are not guilty are TW and MW.  I am hoping that MW does not have to go back to jail.

On 3/11/2018 at 1:49 PM, zenya22 said:
On 3/11/2018 at 8:19 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I noticed that a few of you have mentioned the incongruity and apparent incompetence of the prosecuting counsel for bringing in a witness without first determining what exactly it was that the witness saw. It struck me as odd but then it occurred to me that this was part of CEO Kang's set up. I don't yet know what game he's playing precisely but he seemed to be playing both sides. He brought in the prosecutor to indict HR but when she made the deal with JCB's Vice-President, it was he who informed TW that she had approached Kang Yool to appoint a legal counsel on her behalf. When HR was threatening to expose the mysterious witness as a fake, the prosecutor became antsy and called CEO Kang who told him not to worry about the details... or something along those lines. I think Kang was setting the prosecutor up while pretending to give him assurances that everything was practically in the bag, as it were. Despite acting high and mighty the prosecutor is practically a stooge for these vested interests and a piddly pawn in a bigger game.

It could be a larger ploy to protect Hwanil Steel as well as HR while trying to keep her hands tied for as long as possible. Or there's something else he's scheming that's not known to us at present. :wink:

But whatever it is, we're seeing a major powerplay at work involving the manipulation of the criminal justice system.

Yup this has become a powerplay and manipulation of law set up by the Golden door members specifically Kang Yool. All the players know how to play the game even EJ except for the prosecutor. Being a prosecutor, he is aware of the games played by the powerful members of the Golden door but does not know how to play it. He does not know the rules and has no idea when to play hide or when to play seek. It seems he does not have the cunning, the brains or the flexibility to adjust quickly to changes. He thinks he knows the game plan. He may have just realized that he has no idea. He is totally out of his league. 

I am certain that it is a part of CEO Kang's plan.  The police were told, we have a witness to Kevin Lee's murder, go arrest HR. The police did not find the witness nor apparently did the witness go to the police, but directly to the prosecutor. 

Let me see how do I set this up in coherently without rambling?

1. Kang wants the General Manager out at JBC; however, he knows that they cannot just fire him;  therefore, Kang thinks the best way to get him to leave  is to have him and HR go up against each other and in the end both will be out.

2. Kang intentions were that HR to go to jail; however, she made a deal stating she would go back to the station only if Kang Yool take her case and won it. The important part is winning the case.

3. Originally the witness probably was told to lie about the gender of the person for monetary gain (I am taking a huge leap of faith that he actually witness something.)

4.  Once HR cut the deal that Kang Yool's law firm has to win the case, the witness was probably told to tell the truth about the gender, but what we don't know is if he will tell the truth about name of the attacker. (I am still unsure if he witnessed anything.)

5. The detective is not inept, perhaps bias; but with others pulling the strings he could not successfully do his job.

6.  The prosecutor and JBC's VP are both stools to CEO Kang and are both, on some level, intertwined in the Hwanil Steel's corruption.  

7.  The prosecutor has a vendetta against TW and is willing to do whatever to take on and win a case against him.  That is one of the reasons why he did not question the witness closely, nor look for collaborating evidence.  In the US, the both sides share their witness pool out fairness.  If the prosecutor has a witness, the defense is given a chance to investigate that person before they take the stand.  How can you effective defend your client when you are caught on the blind side?  The prosecutor, so busy trying to make TW look bad and convict HR, that he did not do due diligence.

8. Since the prosecutor called CEO Kang when HR said that the witness was fake, I have reason to believe the witness is a fake and as you said Ceo Kang is pulling the strings and pitting both sides against each other.  I wonder though, if he can directly touch TW and not get into trouble.                                                      

There is still the question of the broach??? How did it get in KL's car when they met in HR's car.  It is either an important piece of evidence or a red herring...which is it? 

I love this drama.  It reminds me of a good mystery novel that keeps you guessing until the end.                                                                                                             

23 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Very amusing post btw:w00t::lol: Don't forget Tae-Wook's colleague serenade of " I Will Always Love You " as Hye-Ran got into the car!

How could I forget this scene? It felt like the fourth wall was being broken and everyone got a much needed chuckle!

12 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

K women and their stilettos... I don't know why there isn't a lower back pain epidemic in SK.

If one day I ever give up teaching completely, I will retrain as a podiatrist and set up shop in Seoul. 

I need to travel to Seoul to eat and to check out the footwear situation in real life! I have read that actresses in Chinese historical dramas sometimes end up with neck and back problems from wearing those elaborate and heavy headdresses.

16 hours ago, justamom said:

Exact same thoughts here. Remember how Episode 1 started with those steamy recollections, and specifically, Lee Jae Young's voiceover saying "Hye Ran, I love you." Back then I thought it was because she was in a loveless marriage. Now I see that could be another meaning. She was frightened of his love/that she could love a man who very possibly resembled one of the many useless men her mother had been with, and...that's why they broke up!

I was very confused by Myung Woo's line and will probably have to check with my Korean tutor. As he remembered hitting Manager Baek, he said "I'm done here, I'm finished." Did he mean that he is finished because he's killed someone? Or because he had a job to do and he's finished his job?

HR is nothing if not brutal about achieving her goals and love is an obstacle. So, did she break with TW for her MIL's reason--his public humiliation or did she break with him because of something else? In the preview she says, "Thank you for getting me this far." Could a very cynical interpretation be that TW cannot get her to the next phase? 

And please, tell us what your tutor says about that MW line. I am very confused about it too. The article you quoted was so interesting! HR goes through life chaining up these men's hearts. Even in this last episode, we see TW half-disbelieving when HR grabbed on to him and hugged him in the hospital. She's withheld love their entire relationship. Can't imagine doing that myself with a guy like TW, but HR is a special case!:D

A couple of other thoughts.  I am not a criminal defense lawyer and I know nothing about the criminal justice system in S. Korea. 

• Now that the witness has testified about seeing the scuffle, will the detective go investigate the scene and look for any surveillance footage if it exists?
  • If HR is charged with murder, why isn't she in jail? I guess accused murderers in S. Korea can post bail?
  • A quick Google search indicates that jury trials became available about 10 years ago in S. Korea. TW should make a motion for a jury trial! And stack it with all men if possible.:lol:

Questions remain

• Why did the detective obsess about HR's involvement based on something that happened 19 years before? If he was involved in that case, why doesn't HR or EJ remember him? Since her remembers Hr?
  • Did MW kill Mr. Baek? or just bash the bat into the ground?
  • What did Mw   mean by "That's done, or it's over now?  What? Mr. Baek's interference and threats?, Did he set up Mr. Baek to take the fall for the death of KL and now that he is dead he can't defend himself? Or, just now that I know HR and TW are in love,  his concerns for HR's happiness are done? If so, why say that while you are killing, bashing or pretending to bash Mr. Baek?
  • Why did Mr Baek tell EJ this is the last you will hear from me?  Was it because he planned suicide or knew he would die? Or had taken a huge payoff to kill TW,, and was going to leave town?
  • That pin - was it planted at the scene of the crime/accident  or did HR see KL again that nite and lose it then?
  • What does EJ really know about the death of the jeweler 19 years ago?
  • Did MW really kill the jeweler or was it HR?
  • What does TW really know about KL's death, and the jeweler's death?
  • Who really called KL before his left his home around 1 AM? HJw seems to be saying it wasn't her - that her call was earlier tn the evening.
  • Did KL really just die in an accident?
  • Why did the detective become concerned about the witness for the prosecution's statement after he saw Mw?  Did he think MW may have tampered with the witness?  Why ask about the sex of the person who was arguing with KL? Is'mt that an obvious fact that would have come out in the questioning anyway?

Hi guys, am new here. And am also a huge fan of this series. Firstly How did Hye ran's brooch got in that car? I rewatched the episodes and I saw that she was wearing her brooch even when she went to meet Eun Joo that night. So its clear that Kevin Lee did not steal it. Eun Joo fell sick and Hye ran consoled her. Thats when she might have taken her brooch or the other possibility is Kang tae wook stealing it. Though the chances are less because he left the house to stay in his office. Also How did that dash cam chip went to Kevin's coat. I clearly remember that Kevin Lee did not took that because Hye ran cursing him afterward was recorded. Thats when she got a call from Eun Joo. And it was clearly shown that she took that damaged car to meet her. Thats when someone might have stolen that. Also han Ji won mentioned to that detective that if Eun Joo was not captured in the CCTV, that doesn't mean she was in her home. Also i dont understand why Kang Yool let Tae wook join his firm? I dont think tae wook is killer. He might have a quarrel with him though.

On 3/11/2018 at 11:19 PM, zenya22 said:

Mind if I join? Well I too think that Kang yool is playing on both sides. I mean at one side he tells prosecutor Byun to indict Hye Ran and in the other side he lets Kang Tae Wook join his firm. Is he trying to sideline Tae Wook? And why does he asked Tae Wook's father as to till what extent should he help Tae Wook? 

17 hours ago, maddymappo said:
  • Why did the detective obsess about HR's involvement based on something that happened 19 years before? If he was involved in that case, why doesn't HR or EJ remember him? Since her remembers Hr?
  • Did MW kill Mr. Baek? or just bash the bat into the ground?
  • What did Mw   mean by "That's done, or it's over now?  What? Mr. Baek's interference and threats?, Did he set up Mr. Baek to take the fall for the death of KL and now that he is dead he can't defend himself? Or, just now that I know HR and TW are in love,  his concerns for HR's happiness are done? If so, why say that while you are killing, bashing or pretending to bash Mr. Baek?
  • Why did Mr Baek tell EJ this is the last you will hear from me?  Was it because he planned suicide or knew he would die? Or had taken a huge payoff to kill TW,, and was going to leave town?
  • That pin - was it planted at the scene of the crime/accident  or did HR see KL again that nite and lose it then?
  • What does EJ really know about the death of the jeweler 19 years ago?
  • Did MW really kill the jeweler or was it HR?
  • What does TW really know about KL's death, and the jeweler's death?
  • Who really called KL before his left his home around 1 AM? HJw seems to be saying it wasn't her - that her call was earlier tn the evening.
  • Did KL really just die in an accident?
  • Why did the detective become concerned about the witness for the prosecution's statement after he saw Mw?  Did he think MW may have tampered with the witness?  Why ask about the sex of the person who was arguing with KL? Is'mt that an obvious fact that would have come out in the questioning anyway?

These are my personal opinions and answers to your questions; however, we all know what we think only lasts for one or two episodes.  I will probably change my mind after the next two episodes and have more questions without answers.

•  I believe that the detective was on the jeweler's murder case 19 years ago.  He had a notebook with HR name written in it.
  • I do not think MW killed Mr. Beak, but smashed the board on something.
  • I do not speak Korean; therefore, I cannot translate the exact meaning, but this is my impression.  Remember MW had TW's office bugged and heard when TW told EJ that he loved his wife; and he also heard how TW said he treated HR, and if she did cheat it was his fault.  One of the questions MW asked HR when they met is if she loved her husband...she said yes.  I think MW, after saving TW and seeing their interaction in the hall, he felt that HR and TW were finally on the same page, and he did all he could do to help...he is done, he cannot do anymore.  Did he kill KL...I don't know because we really do not know when he was released from prison, we thought we knew; but do we really know that he was released after KL died?
  • I think that Mr. Beak was going to kill or harm TW because he felt that he was the one who told MW to kidnap him and harass him and that he was protecting HR who he believed killed KL.  After that he was probably going to commit suicide because his sister has died, KL is dead, what does he have left?  I do not think that he is involved in a payoff or murder plot against TW or HR.
  •   About the pin...good question. 
  • Since HR and EJ were friends (girls talk) perhaps she told her some of what happened but not all of it.  She might have been distraught and said that she killed the jeweler or it was her fault that the jeweler was dead meaning if it wasn't for her, he would not have been dead.  EJ might have taken her statement literally.
  • I think MW really did kill the jeweler because he thought he harmed HR, after seeing her clothes disarrayed. 
  • We don't know...good question.  I do not think TW would know anything about the Jeweler's murder.  HR kept that to herself.
  • KL called JW.  Did she really tell the detective she did not make that call or did she deflect his questions and ask him why wasn't EJ a suspect.
  • I am conflicted on the accident question.  It was an unfortunate accident is still one of my theories. Whether HR met him again, whether he met with JW, TW or anyone else.  He might have been in a fight; but walked away.  If he got behind the wheel intoxicated, especially with the roads as slippery as they were he could have had a fatal accident. 
  • Since the detective felt that MW either killed for or took the fall for HR 19 years ago, could history repeat itself.  I keep thinking that TW would have asked the gender; however, I think that the prosecutor had some footage to go along with the testimony that would have pointed to HR being guilty.

I am probably wrong; however, I do not mind, it is fun speculating.  I just hope I am not let down at the end.

7 hours ago, pompyavi said:

Hi guys, am new here. And am also a huge fan of this series. Firstly How did Hye ran's brooch got in that car? I rewatched the episodes and I saw that she was wearing her brooch even when she went to meet Eun Joo that night. So its clear that Kevin Lee did not steal it. Eun Joo fell sick and Hye ran consoled her. Thats when she might have taken her brooch or the other possibility is Kang tae wook stealing it. Though the chances are less because he left the house to stay in his office. Also How did that dash cam chip went to Kevin's coat. I clearly remember that Kevin Lee did not took that because Hye ran cursing him afterward was recorded. Thats when she got a call from Eun Joo. And it was clearly shown that she took that damaged car to meet her. Thats when someone might have stolen that. Also han Ji won mentioned to that detective that if Eun Joo was not captured in the CCTV, that doesn't mean she was in her home. Also i dont understand why Kang Yool let Tae wook join his firm? I dont think tae wook is killer. He might have a quarrel with him though.

Hello @pompyavi  welcome.

Are you sure  -  Are you sure that the blacikbox chip that EJ and TW both viewed showed Hr cursing - you mean when she was wiping her mouth off after kissing KL and got that call from EJ and had the accident?  I don't remember that part being in the video - but if it is, it shows that both EJ And HR both knew that after her rendez-vous with KL she was disgusted -  and I don't think they saw that.   But I agree, if the chip was taken it would have to be when she parked her car outside the diner when she went to see EJ = but then it would have to be either KL himself followed Hr there or perhaps Mr. Baek - and that's how KL got it. But I think it is more likely Kevin took it when HR was distracted before he got out of the car.  But could be you are correct and there were others outside the diner - maybe how the pin got into KL's car too.

3 hours ago, Carmarie said:

I do not speak Korean; therefore, I cannot translate the exact meaning, but this is my impression.  Remember MW had TW's office bugged and heard when TW told EJ that he loved his wife; and he also heard how TW said he treated HR, and if she did cheat it was his fault.  One of the questions MW asked HR when they met is if she loved her husband...she said yes.  I think MW, after saving TW and seeing their interaction in the hall, he felt that HR and TW were finally on the same page, and he did all he could do to help...he is done, he cannot do anymore.  Did he kill KL...I don't know because we really do not know when he was released from prison, we thought we knew; but do we really know that he was released after KL died?

@Carmarie   Gee that is possible but I really hope not because it would be contrived misdirection to throw u off. There is a lot of time jumping around editing in this drama which can be confusing = at point in the time line did this happen? etc.  We are always wondering just what time it s and whether it was before or after this or that happened.  But it really seemed very clear to me that it was after MW realized HR was being implicated in that accident that he finally decided to be released from jail - and then we see him standing  in the snow watching through the window HR and another woman (? forgot who - maybe her reporter friend) having coffee in the JBC dining room and then we see him at KL's law firm applying for a job.   I hope it is not a case of misdirection and that he had been lurking around and following HR around earlier. 

3 hours ago, Carmarie said:

I believe that the detective was on the jeweler's murder case 19 years ago.  He had a notebook with HR name written in it.

I realized that when we saw the flashback that the detective had been on the case in some capacity - he is a 30 yr veteran.  I think he knew who HR was from the get-go and zoomed in on her as being involved immediately (his gut feelings). Someone on this thread pointed out that he knew within 12 hours (when interviewed HR) that the pin found in the car was Hr's pin. That must mean he was following her career - watching her show and knew she wore that pin or a similar one - and knew of course that she was interviewing KL.  He had all that info very quickly and then she obsessed (even as his assistant pointed out) on HR.  My point was that even if he felt that she killed the jeweler all those years ago, does that mean the accident was really a murder?  Murder is only a possibility - not really a known cause of death yet.  

Also - as far as EJ goes - if she did it, I don't think she would have agreed to the autopsy.  Remember the detective had to get permission for that autopsy,  EJ could have left her husband to rest in peace without the invasion of being cut up like that after death.   Even Hr was surprised EJ said go ahead with the autopsy.   That sort of eliminates her in my mind.  If no autopsy there would have been no case, and no drama? So could be EJ is being very shrewd and is the one who left the pin there to frame Hr, and then someone else came along and made it look like an accident.  

@maddymappo TW heard GHR cursing about KL (what a jerk!) in the beginning from the blackbox. It was just after she had received the pictures and was on her way to meet him. So her wipping her mouth is not shown as it happened much later (just before the accident), hence I am not so sure if the blackbox chipcard was still there. 

On 3/13/2018 at 2:09 AM, jd50 said:
  • If HR is charged with murder, why isn't she in jail? I guess accused murderers in S. Korea can post bail?

I was thinking of this too just yesterday. Why is HR walking around a free woman if she is a murder suspect? We were not shown if bail was posted. I guess the writers left that aspect out.

One thing puzzles me though. In a murder case a prosecutor must have a dead body and a murder weapon. In this case there is a dead body but where is the murder weapon?  the coroner's report was inconclusive, it was only the suspicion of the detective. 

I'm not a law expert and what i know are from watching legal dramas and S.Korean law may be different from US or UK courts. In some countries a prelim hearing is held where the a judge will decide if there is enough evidence to bring the case to trial and there are no jury in a prelim hearing. I do not know if what we are seeing in HR's case is a prelim hearing. If this is a real trial then something is seriously wrong with the system. There is too many holes in the prosecution case against HR. 

On 3/12/2018 at 10:08 AM, justamom said:

Unknown time - Hye Ran collapses on the sofa, ignores Eun Joo's call. Eun Joo pleads with Hye Ran to answer.

Actually, someone here with eagle eyes mentioned that HR's watch said 1:10am (if I remembered correctly) as she collapses on the sofa. It could be a goof on the production part though, for forgetting to set the watch properly...

On 3/13/2018 at 2:09 AM, jd50 said:

And please, tell us what your tutor says about that MW line. I am very confused about it too. The article you quoted was so interesting! HR goes through life chaining up these men's hearts. Even in this last episode, we see TW half-disbelieving when HR grabbed on to him and hugged him in the hospital. She's withheld love their entire relationship. Can't imagine doing that myself with a guy like TW, but HR is a special case!:D

So, my tutor's thoughts: it's deliberately vague but there are a few possibilities

(1) Myung Woo has done what he needs to do for Hye Ran

(2) Myung Woo has cut off the connection between Hye Ran and Kevin

(3) Myung Woo is done with Hye Ran

She thinks its (1) - remember how he heard the news of the scandal and came out just to help her?

2 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

I was thinking of this too just yesterday. Why is HR walking around a free woman if she is a murder suspect? We were not shown if bail was posted. I guess the writers left that aspect out.

It depends on South Korea's laws on how long they can keep you in jail.

Normally, the police can hold you for up to 24 hours before they have to charge you with a crime or release you.

They can apply to hold you for up to 36 or 48 hours if you're suspected of a serious crime, eg murder.

That's why she walked out of there free after 48 hours.

The police/inspectors/prosecutors were not able to have evidence during that time frame so she was released on bail. 

The police can release you on police bail if there’s not enough evidence to charge you.

You don’t have to pay to be released on police bail, but you’ll have to return to the station for further questioning when asked.

9 hours ago, maddymappo said:

Hello @pompyavi  welcome.

Are you sure  -  you sure Are that the blacikbox chip that EJ and TW both viewed showed Hr cursing - you mean when she was wiping her mouth off after kissing KL and got that call from EJ and had the accident?  I don't remember that part being in the video - but if it is, it shows that both EJ And HR both knew that after her rendez-vous with KL she was disgusted -  and I don't think they saw that.   But I agree, if the chip was taken it would have to be when she parked her car outside the diner when she went to see EJ = but then it would have to be either KL himself followed Hr there or perhaps Mr. Baek - and that's how KL got it. But I think it is more likely Kevin took it when HR was distracted before he got out of the car.  But could be you are correct and there were others outside the diner - maybe how the pin got into KL's car too.

@Carmarie   Gee that is possible but I really hope not because it would be contrived misdirection to throw u off. There is a lot of time jumping around editing in this drama which can be confusing = at point in the time line did this happen? etc.  We are always wondering just what time it s and whether it was before or after this or that happened.  But it really seemed very clear to me that it was after MW realized HR was being implicated in that accident that he finally decided to be released from jail - and then we see him standing  in the snow watching through the window HR and another woman (? forgot who - maybe her reporter friend) having coffee in the JBC dining room and then we see him at KL's law firm applying for a job.   I hope it is not a case of misdirection and that he had been lurking around and following HR around earlier. 

I realized that when we saw the flashback that the detective had been on the case in some capacity - he is a 30 yr veteran.  I think he knew who HR was from the get-go and zoomed in on her as being involved immediately (his gut feelings). Someone on this thread pointed out that he knew within 12 hours (when interviewed HR) that the pin found in the car was Hr's pin. That must mean he was following her career - watching her show and knew she wore that pin or a similar one - and knew of course that she was interviewing KL.  He had all that info very quickly and then she obsessed (even as his assistant pointed out) on HR.  My point was that even if he felt that she killed the jeweler all those years ago, does that mean the accident was really a murder?  Murder is only a possibility - not really a known cause of death yet.  

Also - as far as EJ goes - if she did it, I don't think she would have agreed to the autopsy.  Remember the detective had to get permission for that autopsy,  EJ could have left her husband to rest in peace without the invasion of being cut up like that after death.   Even Hr was surprised EJ said go ahead with the autopsy.   That sort of eliminates her in my mind.  If no autopsy there would have been no case, and no drama? So could be EJ is being very shrewd and is the one who left the pin there to frame Hr, and then someone else came along and made it look like an accident.  

@maddymappo Heya. Yeah now that i go back and see, it was when she was going to meet Kevin Lee. Well they did not show the entire content to us. But the kissing part was recorded. May be KL stole that or his manager who was following her took that when her car was parked outside. But the brooch thing, I think it went missing in that cafeteria. If Eun Joo did not take it, then what if Hye ran collided  with someone while they were coming out. Kang tae wook taking that is least possible, though he was angry with her but then also I dont think he would do that. Am definitely doubting that TW and KL got into an argument that night. The big question is Why Kang Yool let TW join his firm? I dont think he will harm TW as Kang Yool seems very close to his father. And even if he tries to, will his father just sit and watch? It has been mentioned that TW's father has many connections and he was one of the founding members of that club? The next thing is why the witness came upfront now? What was he doing before? Did he even witness anything? What I remember is the last time I was invested this much while I was watching stranger aka secret forest. And now this.

16 minutes ago, pompyavi said:

@maddymappo Heya. Yeah now that i go back and see, it was when she was going to meet Kevin Lee. Well they did not show the entire content to us. But the kissing part was recorded. May be KL stole that or his manager who was following her took that when her car was parked outside. But the brooch thing, I think it went missing in that cafeteria. If Eun Joo did not take it, then what if Hye ran collided  with someone while they were coming out. Kang tae wook taking that is least possible, though he was angry with her but then also I dont think he would do that. Am definitely doubting that TW and KL got into an argument that night. The big question is Why Kang Yool let TW join his firm? I dont think he will harm TW as Kang Yool seems very close to his father. And even if he tries to, will his father just sit and watch? It has been mentioned that TW's father has many connections and he was one of the founding members of that club? The next thing is why the witness came upfront now? What was he doing before? Did he even witness anything? What I remember is the last time I was invested this much while I was watching stranger aka secret forest. And now this.

The pin - either EJ took it when Hr was with her in the lady's room - or other possibilities - she lost it in the lady's room and maybe HJw was hanging out there after her talk with EJ - and waited to see the fireworks when Hr came.  Could also be that the prosecutor's wife who is jealous of Hr was also there (far fetched but possible). or as you suggest someone bumped into Hr. Or, even TW found Hr sleeping on the sofa and took it - but not likely he wanted to implicate his wife in a murder.  So, most likely scenario I think is that HR saw KL again at some point.  Remember when she returns home she i trembling and clutching her blue gloves.  I think after she found out EJ was pregnant HR went to tell KL to cool it, because he should take care of his wife.

The head of Yool offered HR the station manager job to put her at logger heads with Director Jang. HR accepts the job but on condition that Yool defends her and that she "wins" - they said "she knows how to play the game"  meaning she will not go after the steel company scandal if she becomes station manager  -she will be in their pocket, which is a sell out and very unlike HR I think but maybe she figures she can double cross them.   Also seems that the witness suddenly appears at this time too, and the golden door is out to convict HR no matter what - the frame up was being planned  So I think that by possibly implicating TW they are killing two birds with one stone. They get Hr on their side at the station and they can implicate TW - which will keep Hr from double crossing them and is also revenge on Tw for not playing their game.    I don't know why they let TW represent Hr, I guess they didn't have to but since the fix was in it didn't matter to them theoretically who represented her, but don't know if there was more to it.

Archived