[Drama 2018] Misty 미스티

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I've been meaning to write this:

Once upon a time there was a mousy teenager called Eun Joo. Her best friend in school was a girl called Hye Ran. Hye Ran was pretty, smart, and did everything better than her. But she was also poor, understood what it was like to go hungry, to have to swallow her pride for money, and so they were friends. Eun Joo secretly nursed a crush on a boy called Myung Woo, the smartest boy in the class. She was planning to tell him after graduation. He didn't have much money either, but everyone knew he was going places. There was a bet going around on which law school he would choose -- there was no question he would get into all of them. And then Eun Joo walked in on Myung Woo and Eun Joo in the classroom. They were listening to a song on the radio. She later found out what it was called - Knock Knocking on Heaven's Door. Myung Woo looked at Hye Ran with an expression she had never seen before. It didn't make her feel good. She saw him move closer towards Hye Ran, his eyes never leaving her. Something instinctive kicked in and she barged into the classroom. Two pairs of eyes darted up, startled.

"Hye Ran!" She pretended she had seen nothing, knew nothing. "Your mother's came by just now looking for you."

It was a lie, well, a half-truth. Hye Ran's mother never came to school. But she had seen her lingering at the pawn shop near her mother's restaurant a few days ago. And she had stopped her.

"Jun-woo."

"It's Eun Joo."

"Yes, yes. You're Hye Ran's friend right? Have you seen her?"

Come to think about it, she had seen Hye Ran inside the pawn shop. What was she doing there? In this part of town?

"I think she's still at school."

"Tell her not to come here anymore. Tell her I'll take care of things myself."

And so she repeated the same thing to Hye Ran, loud enough so Myung Woo could hear. "Your mom asked you not to go to the pawn shop anymore."

Hye Ran's cheeks coloured. She picked up her school bag and walked out of the classroom, walked right past her without saying goodbye.

"Hye Ran-ah!" Myung Woo's chair grated against the concrete as he stood up. He glanced at her, then picked up his school bag and chased after Hye Ran.

@jd50 and @zenya22 i was reading your posts on TW coming alive and TW's evolution. Let me remind you that even before KL came on the scene TW was playing the dutiful husband to HR. He turned up at the dinner HR had with her friends just when she thought he wouldn't.  So i can only see TW as a man true to his words. This stems from the fact that he told HR its his responsibility for choosing her and that he will wait until she tells him she no longer needs him. I believe he is aware of HR's needs socially and intimately.  I would say that his one sided love is rather pathetic to the point where he was willing to be used and trampled on by HR and i wouldn't rule out murder too. 

2 hours ago, justamom said:

You left out Seo Eun Joo!

Ok, @justamom good catch, what a big omission!  I added her into "most likely" but I think I subconsciously left her out because I don't see her as doing it. I think I feel that way because she was desperately trying to call HR that night, I thought because she was worried KL didn't come home, but it could also be she was going to confess that she walloped him behind the head and doesn't know what to do?   But then why agree to an autopsy?   We don't know why she was trying to call HR. It's quite a mystery.

Hi everyone! It's been years since I've last logged in on my soompi account and this one hell of a drama made me come back here. I've been reading all your comments and I'm so ecstatic to see how the ending will unfold. By the way, below is the open thread from Dramabeans.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/03/misty-episodes-9-10-open-thread/#comment-3207390

Misty: Episodes 9-10 (Open Thread)

by odilettante

misty0910-cover2.png

mary: Did you hear? The Misty team held a press conference last week, where Kim Nam-joo, who plays Go Hye-ran, mentioned that the final episode’s script is out, and the ending is totally unexpected — which just messes with my mind. Because now I’m gonna expect the unexpected! Like maybe Kevin Lee is alive after all.

odilettante: I’m still so scarred by the ending of Black that I don’t even want to think about what “unexpected” could mean. Maybe it’s all just a drunken dream of Tae-wook’s after he binged two bottles of whiskey in one evening. Or everyone is killed by a meteor and Tae-wook and Hye-ran have to repopulate the world (and we finally get another rated-19 episode, dammit). Or all the Gold Door Club members are secretly aliens!  

5 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

@jd50 and @zenya22 i was reading your posts on TW coming alive and TW's evolution. Let me remind you that even before KL came on the scene TW was playing the dutiful husband to HR. He turned up at the dinner HR had with her friends just when she thought he wouldn't.  So i can only see TW as a man true to his words. This stems from the fact that he told HR its his responsibility for choosing her and that he will wait until she tells him she no longer needs him. I believe he is aware of HR's needs socially and intimately.  I would say that his one sided love is rather pathetic to the point where he was willing to be used and trampled on by HR and i wouldn't rule out murder too. 

Yes, I agree that Taewook is dutiful and true to his words. I started out talking about TW because I think he's a good man but maybe a little off. I'm wondering what flipped the switch for him from existing unhappily (and dutifully) with HR into the mode of protecting her at all costs and hiding from everyone any pain her infidelity and secrets are causing him. 

I hope we get to see a little more of what's driving TW's actions. From the preview, he seems to have a chat with MW that involves protecting love. And from last week, I was intrigued by his conversation with his father. TW had so much rage directed at his father. I wondered if it had all to do with how his dad has treated HR and/or something from TW's upbringing. TW is so incapable of discussing his feelings that I wonder if there is a back story we will get.

8 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

i was reading your posts on TW coming alive and TW's evolution. Let me remind you that even before KL came on the scene TW was playing the dutiful husband to HR. He turned up at the dinner HR had with her friends just when she thought he wouldn't.  So i can only see TW as a man true to his words. This stems from the fact that he told HR its his responsibility for choosing her and that he will wait until she tells him she no longer needs him. I believe he is aware of HR's needs socially and intimately.  I would say that his one sided love is rather pathetic to the point where he was willing to be used and trampled on by HR and i wouldn't rule out murder too

Thank you for reminding me. Like someone commented pages ago, (sorry don’t remember who posted it, this thread is going so fast) funny but on point, she is a beautiful woman who “make men lose their minds”:glasses:

On 3/6/2018 at 8:43 AM, justamom said:

Sporbiz's interview with Go Joon has some interesting hints about the ending (and no, I can't believe we're talking about the ending already...)

http://www.sporbiz.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=205264

Not sure I translated 100% correct, @V can you help?

Hide contents

Quotes from the story

"If this were in real life, the one who most wants to kill Kevin is probably his wife Seo Eun Joo."

"Everyone around me has been asking who killed Kevin. I'm in a dangerous position so I can't say," he laughs. "But the truth is none of us knew who the killer was while we were filming. We only found out recently when the final scripts came out and even then none of us could really understand who the culprit was. The stunt director really killed him in a painless way."

"The script came out one episode at a time and the ending was completely contrary to what I expected. The ending might turn out to be quite shocking..."

:o:huh::blink:

Edited: so it appears my understanding about the director is wrong...should be translated as:

“I don’t know who is a culprit because I died. The director killed me without pain.”

Haha! Smart answer!

honestly the most shocking ending is not that kevin is not dead.. but that HGR indeed killed him.. which is the least possible scenario right now..

even if station head killed kevin.. that is more plausible than GHR killing kevin..

who knows like mommy said, GHR has a tendency to block memories of her ill intentions :tongue: 

Questions I still have

Asst Kwak - who was he working with when he spied on Hr?   HJw asked him to help her when it came to KL's whereabouts in the beginning, but is she the only one he is working/spying for?

Eun Joo  calls Hr (after Hr arrives home) the night/early morning of KL's death.  Was it because she couldn't contact KL and was worried? or was she told about the accident by the police?   What time did she make that call?  

TW:  After witnessing the garage scene - after KL gets out of Hr's car and Hr rides off.  What did TW do?  Did he continue to follow Hr ?  Did he confront KL?

KL - at the garage - what happens after Hr leaves?  Does he ride off?  - where did he go?  Have argument with TW?  

Time:  What time did Hr get home?,  What time does Tw get home? (we see Hr lie down on the sofa - we don't know if he is home.

5 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

honestly the most shocking ending is not that kevin is not dead.. but that HGR indeed killed him.. which is the least possible scenario right now..

even if station head killed kevin.. that is more plausible than GHR killing kevin..

who knows like mommy said, GHR has a tendency to block memories of her ill intentions :tongue: 

I think the shock/twist would be if TW confesses and he goes to jail for her the way Mw did. (this is a weird idea I had the beginning - actually in the beginning I felt ( and still a big possibility) that KL died in the car  accident but - but HR would be charged with the murder and TW would go to jail for her.

Edit:    OR - conversely, TW did it but HR confesses and goes  to jail for him.

There are different ways to spin this.

19 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

I somehow don’t think the ending will be as far fetched as some theories have expounded. It still has to fit in the flow with the rest of the story and how the characters have turned out so far. I’m thinking it might just be unexpected in other ways.

The PD team is really keeping things under wraps! They took off the BTS video (why??) and they still haven’t updated any text preview for episode 11. Dying of suspense here!!! Less than 48h to go!!

2 minutes ago, justamom said:

I somehow don’t think the ending will be as far fetched as some theories have expounded. It still has to fit in the flow with the rest of the story and how the characters have turned out so far. I’m thinking it might just be unexpected in other ways.

The PD team is really keeping things under wraps! They took off the BTS video (why??) and they still haven’t updated any text preview for episode 11. Dying of suspense here!!! Less than 48h to go!!

but do we not have 6 episodes to go? that's a lot of time

also agree.. ending has to be in line with the story.. and this drama doesn't seem like a social commentary so making kevin's death truly an accident won't fit..

maybe the station head .. he is the only one in the clear and with no apparent motive

I spoke too early. It's out!

They released a second preview and text preview last Wednesday. Been waiting since yesterday and yes, another sneak preview! Omo omo omo! 

Text preview is very brief:

Hye Ran opens up to Tae Wook about her past with Myung Woo. Tae Wook asks Myung Woo why he came to look for him...

Video caption:

"No matter how I think about it, I don't have the confidence to let go of you. Even though I've just lived as your husband (in name) for the last seven years, I still want to have you ... as a woman..."

(I'm thinking this is primal jealousy sparked off by conversation with Myung Woo...!!)

http://tv.jtbc.joins.com/trailer/pr10010714/pm10046828/vo10214715/view

Pre-released Clip!

TW arrives at HR’s workplace and asks where Ko HR anchors seat is. We cut to him walking to it apprehensively. He sees HR sitting in the archive room, leaning against the corner of her desk. Her head is down.

VO – When you start to love someone, because of that love, sometimes you feel very small. Lawyer Kang Tae-wook, what do you want to protect now? Hae-ran or your own pride?

Hae-ran turns her head and sees TW standing there, she is startled

HR – Tae-wook-shi, what is the occassion?
TW – Is that your desk?
HR – This is just for looks (formality). Let’s go to the first floor cafe. Let’s go.

HR walks off and walks past TW, but then TW runs to catch up.

TW – Hae-ran ah!
HR – Why?
TW – I thought it over again and again, but I am not confident. If I go back to that moment seven years ago, I am not confident that I would give you up (he is saying he would make the same choice). I lived as your husband for 7 years and I am still like that. I still want to have you.

He slowly walks to her as she stares at him holding back tears and trying to remain composed, he holds her face with his hands and kisses her passionately in the hallway.

‘Misty’ actress Kim Nam-joo explains how she shaped character

By Hong Dam-young

20180302000786_0.jpg

For veteran actress Kim Nam-joo, who turned 48-year-old this year (Korean age), JTBC romance-thriller “Misty” was sort of an affliction. But at the same time, it was a gift that gave her the most happiness. 

I poured everything into my role as Go Hye-ran that I have no regrets. I think ‘Misty’ will be my last well-made drama of my 40s. It was the drama that caused me pain but also the one I loved the most,” said Kim, who plays a lead role in the drama, during a press conference in Seoul on Friday, also attended by her co-star Ji Jin-hee.

The 16-episode romance thriller, which is currently mid-way through, follows the life of anchorwoman Go Hye-ran, played by Kim, who is ambitious and not afraid of taking risks for the sake of fame and success. But her life goes into a tailspin when she becomes a murder suspect in the death of a professional golfer who is also Go’s ex-boyfriend. Her estranged husband Kang Tae-wook, played by Jin, decides to rescue Go. He also gradually realizes his true love for Go and patches up the once-torn relationship with her. 

Kim, who returned to the small screen for the first time in six years, detailed how hard it has been to play the hardheaded anchorwoman. The actress, who had often played a perky married woman, had to transform herself into a cold-blooded woman, and it took more than just practicing how to talk like an anchorwoman.

20180302000801_0.jpg

Initially, playing an anchorwoman was my biggest concern. I realized that so many things have changed in my life in the last six years, from my walk to my voice, as I was living a casual life of a mother,” Kim said. 

For the past six months, Kim hasn’t been eating rice, just eggs and chicken instead. Kim also said she has been listening to sensual music as it helped her learn Go’s attractive gestures and way of talking. All of them took her endless practice and observations. 

I‘ve always thought, ‘How can I portray this desperate and lonely Go Hye-ran? After the drama, the first thing I want to do is eat rice. After the drama, I think I will get sick both mentally and physically,” she said. 

In the drama, Go throws papers in the face of a junior, yells at people and never keeps her chin down. She also never hesitates to fire back at some male co-workers who deride her and make condescending sexual jokes. Asked what led to the drama’s popularity -- the acclaimed drama’s rating peaked to 7 percent viewership for its 6th episode -- Kim suggested the sympathy it creates among viewers. 

20180302000787_0.jpg

At first, I couldn’t understand some of Go’s dramatic behaviors. But as time went on, I could sympathize with the character, as I’ve lived a very rough life too. Not only me but most people, they live fiercely to keep their places in this jungle. I think that’s why the drama has been able to draw so many viewers. Playing Go also gave me courage,” she said. 

As the drama contains a considerable amount of scenes that pose sexual harassment issues within the office, Kim also addressed the ongoing #MeToo movement, saying she hopes the campaign will be an opportunity to “carve out rotten sides of society and purify the showbiz industry.” Kim said she has been paying close attention to the #Me Too movement, as she also used to hear a lot of insulting words when she was a junior. “Not only me, but anyone can be a victim of it,” she emphasized. 

In a recent episode, Go, is about to start a new chapter as a Cheong Wa Dae spokesperson, when she is arrested by a detective just before leaving the television station. 

Ji hinted that the drama’s ending will surprise many, as it will be shocking and unexpected. 

(The ending) will make you think ‘how can this happen?’ Onscreen character Kang will keep struggling to prove Go’s innocence, and many things will happen in between. It won’t be entirely fair for them, but it will be entertaining to watch,“ he said. 

The true side of humans, true side of love will be revealed. Keep tuning in, and it won’t betray you.“ 

By Hong Dam-young 
(lotus@heraldcorp.com)

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20180302000772

1 hour ago, SUNlight02 said:

(The ending) will make you think ‘how can this happen?’ Onscreen character Kang will keep struggling to prove Go’s innocence, and many things will happen in between. It won’t be entirely fair for them, but it will be entertaining to watch,“ he said. 

Looks like the Prosecutor's office and Steel company going to do serious frame up job

On 3/7/2018 at 8:52 AM, SUNlight02 said:

Did you hear? The Misty team held a press conference last week, where Kim Nam-joo, who plays Go Hye-ran, mentioned that the final episode’s script is out, and the ending is totally unexpected — which just messes with my mind. Because now I’m gonna expect the unexpected!

15 hours ago, SUNlight02 said:

(The ending) will make you think ‘how can this happen?’ Onscreen character Kang will keep struggling to prove Go’s innocence, and many things will happen in between. It won’t be entirely fair for them, but it will be entertaining to watch,“ he said

This whodunnit has forced me to focus my energy on the ending. I am so hyped!! I feel like today is Friday, even if it's Thursday evening right now. 24 more hours to go! Who killed Kevin?

I've been very worried about that ending. KDrama endings are legendary for insulting us viewers. My main fear even as I read all these interviews, is that it will be one of those. Chese in the trap... Black... Black Night...

But they all seem to consistently reassure us that it will be unexpected, but not insulting. they all sound confident about the ending.  I just hope it is not PR!  I hope they're not hyping us for a big let down. I am confident the ending will be unexpected but satisfactory. Kim Nam Joo has said that it won't betray us.... so I am hanging on to that statement.

15 hours ago, SUNlight02 said:

The true side of humans, true side of love will be revealed. Keep tuning in, and it won’t betray you.“ 

I guess the couple will get together, but a lot of dirty truths about them will be played out in court. I can bet you that after the (hopefully PG19) bed scene from Episode 11, as per KDrama script rules, it will be absolute war, as GHR and TW go to court, and GHR's enemies work overtime to destroy her.

Tough moments are the ones that foster intimacy and a better understanding of self. As this truth is laid out in coming episodes, I hope it will be the catalyst to an amazing relationship between the OTP. I am sooo rooting for them! I know they're a fake couple, but we all just need them come out on top!  Their enemies must be destroyed!!

21 hours ago, justamom said:

"No matter how I think about it, I don't have the confidence to let go of you. Even though I've just lived as your husband (in name) for the last seven years, I still want to have you ... as a woman..."

If a man tells me this, the question I'll ask him is not, "do you want children?". the question is, "How many children are we having?":grin:

2018 is the year for dramas! Korea doesn't want me to prosper!!

23 hours ago, maddymappo said:

I think the shock/twist would be if TW confesses and he goes to jail for her the way Mw did. (this is a weird idea I had the beginning - actually in the beginning I felt ( and still a big possibility) that KL died in the car  accident but - but HR would be charged with the murder and TW would go to jail for her.

Edit:    OR - conversely, TW did it but HR confesses and goes  to jail for him.

There are different ways to spin this.

I still think that it could be an accident or he committed suicide.

1 hour ago, maddymappo said:
2 hours ago, SUNlight02 said:

Looks like the Prosecutor's office and Steel company going to do serious frame up job

What I wrote first was what I thought when I read maddymappo first post; however, after reading what SUNlight02 posted from the interview, I think HR, although innocent will go to jail.  Remember the prosecutor was told to find her guilty. 

30 minutes ago, Carmarie said:

I still think that it could be an accident or he committed suicide.

What I wrote first was what I thought when I read maddymappo first post; however, after reading what SUNlight02 posted from the interview, I think HR, although innocent will go to jail.  Remember the prosecutor was told to find her guilty. 

Accident - very strong theory,  and the corrupt powers will frame HR, still wondering if TW will go to jail for her though.  That was the ironic ending I thought about (or reverse, Hr goes to jail for TW). This is a story about what true love is. 

But I truly want justice, the corrupt people to be outed.  I want the true murderer (if it was murder - big question mark) to be brought to justice.

Edit: Maybe the detective ( who I disliked from the beginning)  will redeem himself big time and get to the bottom of it.

Archived