[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

Kim Eun Seok has said that she had set her story during  early 1900s because she wants to tell the story of the Righteous Army. The excerpt from Wikipedia below shows that people from all walks of life join the Righteous Army and although many die, some did survive. 

So I speculate that maybe the story that Kim Eun Seok wants to tell is the journey of how the 5 main characters would come to join the Righteous Army by the end of the drama in 1905. And that is the story that I want to see too and not just a love story. If that is the case, we will be seeing change and growth in all the main characters of how they got there. We have already seen the start of personal growth journey of Eugene and how he is being affected by his encounters with people of Joseon. No doubt we should start to see the change for Dong Mae as well and perhaps that is when even more would feel empathy and understanding of Dong Mae then. Should be soon, perhaps after he discovered the double life of Ae Shin. Which should be interesting. For Hui Sung, we already got a glimpse that he is more than what he appeared to be on the surface. 

Show, please don’t disappoint me, I am expecting more than a love story here otherwise you would not do justice to the talented cast assembled for this production.

Excerpt from Wikipedia on Righteous Army:

“The Righteous Army was formed by Yu In-seok and other Confucian scholars during the Peasant Wars. Its ranks swelled after the Queen's murder by the Japanese troops and Koreans. Under the leadership of Min Jeong-sikChoe Ik-hyeon and Shin Dol-seok, the Righteous Army attacked the Japanese army, Japanese merchants and pro-Japanese bureaucrats in the provinces of GangwonChungcheongJeollaand Gyeongsang.

Choe Ik-hyeon was captured by the Japanese and taken to Tsushima Island where he went on hunger strike and finally died as a martyr in 1906. Shin Dol-seok, an uneducated peasant commanded over 3,000 troops. Among the troops were former government soldiers, poor peasants, fishermen, tiger hunters, miners, merchants, and laborers.

In 1907, the Righteous Army under the command of Yi In-yeong massed 10,000 troops to liberate Seoul and defeat the Japanese. The Army came within 12 km of Seoul but could not withstand the Japanese counter-offensive. The Righteous Army was no match for two infantry divisions of 20,000 Japanese soldiers backed by warships moored near Inchon.

The Righteous Army retreated from Seoul and the war went on for two more years. Over 17,000 Righteous Army soldiers were killed and more than 37,000 were wounded in combat. Unable to fight the Japanese army head-on, the Righteous Army split into small bands of partisans to carry on the War of Liberation in China, Siberia and the Baekdu Mountains in Korea. The Japanese troops first quashed the Peasant Army and then disbanded what remained of the government army. Many of the surviving guerrilla and anti-Japanese government troops fled to Manchuria and Siberia and carried on their fight.”

Second gathering of Ae Shin’s fan club members......:D....aka future members of the Righteous Army.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Definitely a hello and a handshake for now.

ms192.jpg

Spoiler

ms193.jpg

And our Lady.. finally finds out the meaning of LOVE...

like... WHAAAAAAAAAATTT !!! :w00t::o:sweatingbullets: Not once but twice! :lol:

LOL poor girl! Hilarious and absolutely priceless! :P Thanks to Chungmuro Crumb for re-capping this scene.

• Like 7
  • LOL 8

Uhh..:o Eugene got hurt because he shot himself in his left arm!? What the..

Just read Dramamilk's recap.. it's a tactic by Eugene to get the Japanese soldier arrested but what a rather reckless and dangerous thing to do, even if he knows how to handle the gun and all. He's definitely 'ruining' himself.. he's a pretty sensible soldier but now when it comes to AS by his side, EC doesn't think twice to protect her.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, kanama1811 said:

Chingu, tvN does not upload clip from running episodeon youtube anymore?

Last week, they took longer to upload the clips.. almost the next day when the snippets finally appeared but not one so far at the YT channel today. And of course, the previous episode clips have disappeared as well. It's strange, huh..

Probably have to expect the worst.. no more clips from tvN. :mellow:

Nonetheless, thanks to fans' tireless sharing on IG and twitter.. we'd still have some nice clips to share, like this one.

Here's another funny moment during English lesson. Lady Ae Shin is so obviously smitten with the letter "E" :lol: 

Thanks to KshWithLove @lovebangwon

• Like 8

I wonder what those final scenes means. One is Eugene looking at AS with fancy foreign clothes, another is DM giving her money, and another is AS holding HS, don't know if he's is dead.

Is the writer giving us glimpses of the final like she did in Goblin?

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

So the ‘battle’ between the 3 begins.  The scene after HS found out about the rift between EC and DM looks like telling us what could possibly happen in the end.  It looks like the storyline is getting interesting and I am glad that we don’t have to see that japanese soldier again.

• Like 10

Okay those 3 different scenes at the end, could it be things that will happen or could happen? Either these are flash forwards or they are giving a glimpse of what it could be with whichever guy she ends up with? I also just realized it's almost like trying to pick America, Japan or Joseon.

DjNR5TPVsAAkTZN.jpg

When these three are together it's so entertaining but so much tension at the same time. I feel like I can't even call this a bromance because I don't even know what this is.

• Like 11

39 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

What do you think Ae Shin mean when she said to Eugene that she must save the geisha in red...

EC:  Saving one woman will not save Joseon.

AG:  I must save her. Because one day, she will become like me.

Let me correct that.

AG: I must save her. Because one day, I can become like her.

• Thanks 8

29 minutes ago, solarisk said:

Let me correct that.

AG: I must save her. Because one day, I can become like her.

Thanks so  much :) Corrected. 

EC:  Saving one woman will not save Joseon.

AG:  I must save her. Because one day, I can become like her.

Ae Shin has been following this ideal, romantic vision of patriotism... until now.  She can finally see in her own eyes the courage and bravery that were shared by her parents.  To save the geisha is to save the fate of not only a member of the Righteous Army that Ae Shin wants to be a part of but of the unbreakable heroic spirit of Joseon.  

Ae Shin has connected with the sacrifices of others on a personal level.  Later, with the conversation between Seung Gu and Eun San, the question was asked another way.  Why do we fight when we don't feel included?

GS:  I don't trust the King.  Both countries' legation got involved. I'm sure he'l get out safely. We are stuck between the Japanese and Americans.  The innocent Joseon people will take the blame.

(flashback LWI: Whether you live or die is up to the foreigners. Joseon has abandoned you).

GS: The king abandoned his own people. I abandoned him long ago.

ES: If you abandoned the king, why do you want to save Joseon?

GS:  To become a rebel.  I ned there to be a country to turn against.

ES (smile slightly): Yes, that's right. (Laugh)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ep 7 

I do not understand what AS thought the meaning of "love" was when she offered it to him and what she thinks now. Now is deep heartfelt sincere affection. But  what was she thinking it meant before? Confused. Please help me on this.

The three man stand off among the lines of laundry was pretty funny.   AS will love who she wants, what is the sense of the confrontation.?

Just realized Eugene's boss understands Japanese. He responded to the official before the king, before there as a translation. He looks eurasian. 

• Like 5

The tension between the three men is fun but I hope it won't last for too long. I'm scared to look into the meaning of the flashes we got in the end (especially for Hee Sung :tears:). Overall it was a very good episode and I can't wait to be tomorrow to see the next one.

Of course I was happy with the Dong Mae/Hina scene we got :wub:. I wonder what happened to her mom though.

• Like 9