[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

Just finished Ep 06 and I am sitting on edge waiting for the rest of the episodes...
Intense yet so full of "love"... every scene...every conversation...every moment between Ae-Shin and Eugene... 
Oh how the title "Mr Sunshine" just don't quite pull through... in my mind I am thinking more like "Mr Intense" if Mr Sunshine is refering to Eugene... 
Gonna re watch from Ep 01 :P
Bounced back to real world... Lee Byung-Hun and Kim Tae-Ri... they really carry the drama through so well with their individual role.  I was thinking..."wow...imagine the conversation, the details, the expression...how both of them must portray to capture the audience and same time capture our interest to continue to watch..."
No matter how good the script or story line is... end of it all...it's the artistes who will bring life to the script.

Thanks for bringing so much intense, love to this drama Mr Sunshine...

And here I shall wait patiently for the continuation
:love:

• Like 14

I am liking Mr. Sunshine so much, and I notice it's not only me, but so many other people. This is the drama that has brought me back to Korean Dramaland, after a long, long drought. The characters just move me in ways I cannot describe. Dong Mae, especially, the way he looks at her, that rain scene, it was just heartbreaking.

I was so moved by the character I decided to write his story to try to understand him more. You can check out my story here:

https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1358280/mr-sunshine-dong-mae-s-story-love-revenge-socialdivide-turmoil

It was written as a labor of love, and very personal to me. It's my first time ever, writing a fanfic...strange word, because I feel the characterization in this drama, the many layered depths, and the conflicting emotions warring in each character, defies, and goes beyond fandom. Fanfic sounds light, fluffy, and the character of Dong Mae is anything but that. 

But one thing puzzles me - Ae Shin and Dong Mae seem to harbour a lot of strong emotions toward each other; do they have a history together that we haven't been shown yet? Was he her first love? He came back to Joseon as a gang leader - did they have a secret relationship then, unknown to her maid?

• Like 8

A lot of us appreciate the drama, right and it's only the 6th episode. It's been moving along, revealing some vital points and definitely with more twists to come. But due to the project itself, a lot of attention, scrutiny & media highlight can't be avoided. Maybe some people want to see it fall.. perhaps.. but there are still 18 episodes to go. :sweatingbullets: Hopefully the stream of story doesn't run dry by then. 

July 25, 2018

'Mr. Sunshine' drops to No. 5 on weekly TV chart

SEOUL, July 25 (Yonhap) -- Is the high-budget television series "Mr. Sunshine" on the verge of fizzling out?

One of the highly anticipated dramas of the year slipped three steps from a week ago to No. 5 on the weekly Content Power Index (CPI) chart, with a score of 248.1 for July 16-22, data showed Wednesday.

With great cinematography, a star cast and, most importantly, a hit-making script writer, the performance so far is poorer than what the entertainment industry had expected.

The epic drama about the lives of unsung heroes of the national independence movement in the early 1900s Joseon Dynasty had drummed up huge publicity even before it started.

Given its writer Kim Eun-sook wrote two sensationally popular TV series -- "Descendants of the Sun" and "Guardian: The Lonely and Great God" -- it is no surprise the hype surrounding the drama.

Moreover, it is estimated to have cost some 40 billion won (US$35.8 million), one of the highest budgeted series in Korean TV history.

This image provided by Hwa&Dam Pictures shows a poster for the television series "Mr. Sunshine." (Yonhap)

This image provided by Hwa&Dam Pictures shows a poster for the television series "Mr. Sunshine." (Yonhap)

Then why has the drama struggled to take off in spite of what looked like a recipe for success?

The story's slow development could be blamed, some TV viewers point out. Only on the sixth episode could TV viewers figure out the delicate relationships of the characters. Some say the drama focuses too much on beautiful scenery and historical re-enactment than the story itself.

The two main actors --Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-ri -- have yet to show as much chemistry as the writer Kim's previous couples of Song Hye-kyo and Song Joong-ki, who became a real married couple after "Descendants of the Sun" ended, and Gong Yoo and Kim Go-eun in the "Guardian."

But it might be still too early to judge how the drama will perform as only six episodes out of 24 have aired and the complicated romance among the characters is about to begin.

The CPI, created by CJ E&M and Nielsen Korea, measures the level of popularity, social media trending and influence on consumer behavior of entertainment TV programs aired on three major terrestrial networks -- MBC, SBS and KBS -- and seven cable channels owned by CJ E&M, including tvN, Mnet and OCN, during prime time. JTBC, another cable network that airs some highly popular entertainment shows and dramas, is not included in the measurement.

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr

• Like 7

3 hours ago, rubie said:

A lot of us appreciate the drama, right and it's only the 6th episode. It's been moving along, revealing some vital points and definitely with more twists to come. But due to the project itself, a lot of attention, scrutiny & media highlight can't be avoided. Maybe some people want to see it fall.. perhaps.. but there are still 18 episodes to go. :sweatingbullets: Hopefully the stream of story doesn't run dry by then. 

You said it well and I agree. 

I don't care what others think but I am definitely enjoying this drama so much. Tbh before this drama started, I was pessimistic that I would like it for various reasons but my, my, I am pleasantly surprised that I fall for it fore real ♡

Mr. Sunshine is more of a characters driven series rather than a plot driven one (but they do have a plot drive, it's just that it takes the back seat for now), so it might not suit the palate of those who were expecting and wanting it to be a fast moving and lots of actions drama.

This drama is about a few different characters and their journey through the most turbulent time in Joseon. (This was reiterated by Ae Shin's narration a few times in the teasers and lines in the episodes)

The drama has introduced the characters to us, well enough that we now can feel as if we know them, curious and wanting to know more about them, and wanting to be alongside them on their journey through this turbulent period of time.

Idk about other people but this drama is giving me the same feeling I had when I was watching and really enjoying Downtown Abbey (its first 3 seasons, not the later ones which I dropped :P). 

• Like 8

Mr.Sunshine episode 6

Lady Ae Shin: Why the American Legation? Why ME??

Gunner Jang: To return the gun we borrowed and to say hello to your comrade.

Lady Ae Shin: You.. you knew??

Gunner Jang: Well, I am your mentor.

mrsun06_1.gif

mrsun06_2.gif

Eugene doesn't seem to mind (or care) anymore that by now, he is known as the Kim family's runaway slave. He'd always and still introduce himself as an American, which in a way is true, as he is a Captain in the US Marines. But more and more he has admitted that he's also Choi Yu Jin (to the Kim couple, the old servant, the former slave hunters); he's the son of slaves (to Gunner Jang); he went to visit his parents (nonchalantly to Hina Kudo).. not to mention Hwang Eun Sang figuring him out and obviously the humiliated Foreign Minister will find out, too.

The ones still in the dark is Ae Shin (her "Where are you from" question will soon be answered, Dong Mae (despite their rivalry, it's probably not wrong to say that they secretly hope they'd be buddies?) and Hee Sung.. not his fault but he inherited infinite negative brownie points to be pals with Eugene.

• Like 8

@Ahpheng thanks so much for the good words. I just wrote whatever that came to mind.. :lol: sometimes it works, sometimes it needed help (read: old songs' lyrics :P) but really, your fabulous c-strips, they're the best! th_thumbup.gif So glad that we have them here at Mr. Sunshine..yes.gif

From the IG of the Japanese-Korean interpreter, not sure of the actor's name..

Photos: rawoojinu

Spoiler

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry but I'm still not convinced that Eugene and Ae Shin are the OTP here. Like, I'm here for the friendship/companionship. I feel like they have chemistry but not the romantic kind, it's not working. I'm not feeling it. And also Eugene could just be using her as a revenge card. But I feel like I prefer Eugene with Hina.

Ae Shin has so much more chemistry with Dong Mae and they haven't even had that many scenes together. Maybe Ae Shin and Dong Mae are the real OTP here? They could have more of the passionate and forbidden love story. You never know, it's rare for the second male lead to get the girl. But it still happened in some dramas and movies...

However, I do love the characters.

• Like 4

Watch the traffic..

mrsun06_3.gif

----

Unfortunately, Lady Ae Shin and Goo Dong Mae's relationship will only turn to dust when she finds out that DM serves Lee Wan Ik, the man who killed her parents. Kudo Hina will not be in her good books either.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

hardly desagree  @scarletlover1

The main and more popular ship is E and AS, im coming from a not so into kdrama field, ocasional watchers, netflix adicts, even preople who has never seeen any korean drama. People are crazy about the main couple and the story is indeed about Eugene and his reverge and love but also is abour AS and her fight and love story with an american soldier.-

The "confusion" come from the "fangirls" and i call it the Chilbong effect (reply 1994)that was so lame cause was obvious Yeon Seok wasn't the main lead and he would lose , it was clear since the beggining the girl didn't love him,  but fangirls (international and in this forum, korean NO they were ok) just couldn't accept it, it is  risky to put a "conventional" good looking actor as second lead cause especially non korean watchers start to distort the reality and the writer' clear intentions , Dong Mae is merely a secondary lead and the story in not about him although he is important, in the background, but still a secondary.-

My advise, just go with the flow and dont try AS like a trophy cause is useless and offensive as a woman, she will be with Eugene (she already hooked) but cause that's her heart not cause some "who gets the girl" contest and no, she and DM are not the ship.-

Mrsunshine Official IG 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlpocS2HweY/?taken-by=mrsunshinenetflix

Mr-Sunshine-Netflix-1410918.jpg?r=153096

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

@alemary while I agree that it is as clear as day that Eugene and Ae Shin are the main otp and that Dong Mae will never stand a chance and his story will be about his heartbreaking one sided love, I don't think it is even necessary nor right for you to blanket labelling people who happen to be drawn into a different ship and maybe got confused as "fangirls" of "conventionally good looking actor"*, as if wanting to insinuate that the only reason people are not drawn into, not seeing the chemistry or not rooting for the main couple is because they are shallow fangirls? When in fact it could be because of so many other reasons. Different viewers having different taste and different ways of perceiving things thus resulting them to be drawn into or root for different things. There might be people who are just feeling lukewarm or disinterested towards the main couple's romance and find fascination in other people or aspects of the drama, but they are still the viewers of this drama and can discuss on how they feel. We can't compell people to have the same liking, to root for only one thing and for them to never talk about their different interests. Even if they're boarding a doomed ship, just let it be since this will be their own drama viewing experience? (Also, why suddenly there is this talk about Chilbong effect¿? Seems like you still have resentment from Reply 1994 five years ago and would never let it rest when it concerns yoo yeon seok even until now?)

*I'm his fan but Iol YYS/Dong Mae was uglified as heck in this drama from his fake disheveled hair to his fake stache, as compared to the clean and elegant looking Eugene, so I won't say Dong Mae is good looking from the get go (his character's charisma might be another story)

• Like 7

Finally, we have the AS fanboys Happy Hour (minus the drinking ^_^) full clip, awesome! Thanks so much @Berou for the highlight, so good to see the guys getting along really well.. :blush: Wonder if they'll have another ratings' pledge event?

Peekaboo! I see you.. th_invisible.gif

mrsun06_4.gif

mrsun06_5.gif

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

On 7/24/2018 at 11:46 PM, maddymappo said:

It is a short book. Here is the website. https://www.gutenberg.org/files/50609/50609-h/50609-h.htm

It is available for free. It is wonderful (despite the title)  and also has several pictures of that period, I show one below.  Author L. H. Underwood (Lilas Underwood).  She was there during this very same period.  She personally knew and really liked the last Empress who was so brutally murdered. 

Thank you for sharing about this book. I just started reading it. A fascinating read about life in Korea during that time period through the eyes of a foreigner. She can be quite brutal in her views like this part where she wrote about the appearance of korean woman.  

There is enough content and material to be made into a movie. :wub: 

Based on the memoirs, American Legation will be closed when Japan took over Korea totally so it means Eugene would leave Korea and go back to America then?? Just speculating about the ending. :unsure:

• Like 7