Quantcast
Jump to content
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Recommended Posts

@alemary while I agree that it is as clear as day that Eugene and Ae Shin are the main otp and that Dong Mae will never stand a chance and his story will be about his heartbreaking one sided love, I don't think it is even necessary nor right for you to blanket labelling people who happen to be drawn into a different ship and maybe got confused as "fangirls" of "conventionally good looking actor"*, as if wanting to insinuate that the only reason people are not drawn into, not seeing the chemistry or not rooting for the main couple is because they are shallow fangirls? When in fact it could be because of so many other reasons. Different viewers having different taste and different ways of perceiving things thus resulting them to be drawn into or root for different things. There might be people who are just feeling lukewarm or disinterested towards the main couple's romance and find fascination in other people or aspects of the drama, but they are still the viewers of this drama and can discuss on how they feel. We can't compell people to have the same liking, to root for only one thing and for them to never talk about their different interests. Even if they're boarding a doomed ship, just let it be since this will be their own drama viewing experience? (Also, why suddenly there is this talk about Chilbong effect¿? Seems like you still have resentment from Reply 1994 five years ago and would never let it rest when it concerns yoo yeon seok even until now?)

 

*I'm his fan but Iol YYS/Dong Mae was uglified as heck in this drama from his fake disheveled hair to his fake stache, as compared to the clean and elegant looking Eugene, so I won't say Dong Mae is good looking from the get go (his character's charisma might be another story)

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rubie said:

Watch the traffic..

 

Unfortunately, Lady Ae Shin and Goo Dong Mae's relationship will only turn to dust when she finds out that DM serves Lee Wan Ik, the man who killed her parents. Kudo Hina will not be in her good books either.

 

True. But Wan Ik could get killed by DM since he harbours an  obsessive  love for AS. He killed the two japanese who were talking badly of her in the daylight before her eyes.  DM doesn't know the background of AS and her parents and he is going to get into a rage when he will learn that Wan Ik is reponsible of her parents' death and might kill him. 

 

@scarletlover1   I am also team Dong mae and I have to prepare myself for his tragic ending. I went back reading the first articles of casting, they all described him as a tragic character who will never get AS's love.  And I think  KES won't try to pair him with AS because he is a sensitive character : Koreans might accept him being forced to flee Korea for Japan but they won't accept him giving allegiance to Japan Empire due the suffering Japan inflicted to their ancestors. In their eyes he is a traitor. 

 

 

 new stills 

 

 

 

LBH, YYS and BYH did a live facebook for the first episode's ratings pledge 

 

 

 

BTS  released by Saram Entertainment 

 

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally, we have the AS fanboys Happy Hour (minus the drinking ^_^) full clip, awesome! Thanks so much @Berou for the highlight, so good to see the guys getting along really well.. :blush: Wonder if they'll have another ratings' pledge event?

 

Peekaboo! I see you.. th_invisible.gif

 

mrsun06_4.gif

 

mrsun06_5.gif

  • Like 6
  • LOL 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2018 at 11:46 PM, maddymappo said:

It is a short book. Here is the website. https://www.gutenberg.org/files/50609/50609-h/50609-h.htm

It is available for free. It is wonderful (despite the title)  and also has several pictures of that period, I show one below.  Author L. H. Underwood (Lilas Underwood).  She was there during this very same period.  She personally knew and really liked the last Empress who was so brutally murdered. 

 

 

Thank you for sharing about this book. I just started reading it. A fascinating read about life in Korea during that time period through the eyes of a foreigner. She can be quite brutal in her views like this part where she wrote about the appearance of korean woman.  

 

There is enough content and material to be made into a movie. :wub: 

 

Based on the memoirs, American Legation will be closed when Japan took over Korea totally so it means Eugene would leave Korea and go back to America then?? Just speculating about the ending. :unsure:

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2018 at 11:06 AM, imhoooked said:

Really no one is going to talk about how hot was LBH handling that gun? I can't stop watching that scene again and again :wub:

 

This one? Or the upcoming episode when he took away Ae Shin's gun, to protect her?

 

mrsun06_6.gif

 

The Three Musketeers .. not quite there yet.. th_no2.gif

 

mrsun06_7.gif

 

Hi @Susie Derkins!

 

Oh no.. hope that's not him :o.. now that you mentioned it, I was also checking the scenes in episode 1 with Ae Shin's parents. But.. that happened 30 years ago, the man would have aged quite a bit? But we really don't know who Eun San really is either..:sweatingbullets:

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, rubie said:

 

Hi @Susie Derkins!

 

Oh no.. hope that's not him :o.. now that you mentioned it, I was also checking the scenes in episode 1 with Ae Shin's parents. But.. that happened 30 years ago, the man would have aged quite a bit? But we really don't know who Eun San really is either..:sweatingbullets:

If ageing is in question then we saw the only change in Eun-san after 30 years was is the color of his hair. That old man is still fit as a horse. I am tryna connect the dots watching the episodes once again but it's still confusing. :huh:

  • Like 2
  • LOL 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KIM YOON AH – DAYS WITHOUT TEARS (눈물 아닌 날들) MR. SUNSHINE OST PART 3


Like being caught
With feelings I shouldn’t have


Until time grew faint
You came to me
 

Spoiler

 

It’s foolish
It sounds like an excuse
But I was just scared


I keep seeing only you
In all my days


I’m so sorry
To you


So it hurts even more
I hate myself


I’m sorry
I can’t say anything else than that


Will you call my name
Just once more?


Will you stay by my side
Just once more?


I love you
My person


Whenever I open my eyes
Whenever I breathe
I miss you but I can’t see you


As if time has stopped
My painful love

 

POPGASA

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, charray said:

 

Thank you for sharing about this book. I just started reading it. A fascinating read about life in Korea during that time period through the eyes of a foreigner. She can be quite brutal in her views like this part where she wrote about the appearance of korean woman.  

 

There is enough content and material to be made into a movie. :wub: 

 

Based on the memoirs, American Legation will be closed when Japan took over Korea totally so it means Eugene would leave Korea and go back to America then?? Just speculating about the ending. :unsure:

I don't remember the details but she does go into detail about the political betrayals and conspiracies going on. She writes about who she thinks was behind the murder of the empress. And also why US walked away, and painful to read, even worse or as worse as we see depicted in dramas. YES, it could and should in my opinion be a movie.   She is a nice good hearted woman with a sincere love for humankind.  Of course there was culture shock going on so she is responding to her own cultural prejudice regarding beauty. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, charray said:

 

Based on the memoirs, American Legation will be closed when Japan took over Korea totally so it means Eugene would leave Korea and go back to America then?? Just speculating about the ending. :unsure:

 

Let's see, I'm guessing we are somewhere in 1902 timeline presently in the drama. The Japanese prime minister (visually similar to Ito Hirobumi) told a returning Lee Wan-Ik that he will invade the Korea Empire in 3 years, asking the minister to deliver the country to him.  In the conversation, the PM wanted LWI to remind Emperor Gojong of Operation Fox Hunt's sorrow (Queen Min's assassination) to instill fear into the monarchy and warned of Japanese's goal.  After hearing this, Lee Wan-Ik adopted this superior attitude toward the monarchy.  Remember him disrespecting the Russia-sided minister with his glove-slap. :angry: ( Of note, history indicated PM Hirobumi initially supported Korea’s monarchy as sovereignty but eventually agreed with the powerful Imperial Japanese Army for total annexation of Korea.  He later was assasinated by Korean nationalist An Jung-geun.)

 

In keeping with the timeline, Japan started to proposition and lobby the Korean peninsula with both Russia and US.  Three years from E6, in 1905, after Japan's victory in the Russo-Japanese war,  America met with Japan to discuss its position in the East Asia affairs.  There are conflicting viewpoints to whether US agreed with Japan to withdraw its presence in the country for control of the Philippines. In either case, the Japanese expressed their interest in becoming a protectorate of Korea while reassuring no interest in the Philippines (which the US has presence in after its war with Spain in 1898).  After this meeting, the US withdrew out of Korea but kept its presence in the Philippines without Japan's interference.  Russia also left after signing the treaty.

 

So I think the drama will continue until or/and through 1905 where Eugene will most likely stay back to join the resistance.  That could be the ending we'll get, a sad but hopeful one.  Guesses are out whether he will survive at the end.

 

I got some screenshots for you :lol:

 

The two freedom fighters that night, they are both in hiding somewhere.

 

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 10.56.56 AM

 

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 10.57.25 AM

 

 

One is Minister Song Young (right).  He has left the court.

 

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 10.59.30 AM

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 10.56.17 AM

 

 

His comrade.  Looks very similar @Susie Derkins. Maybe we will see Song Young soon.

 

Well Eun San also gives target practices to Ae Shin from Seung Gu's suggestion.  :D He receives a lot of money for his pottery, what does he spend it on?  Man is not living the big life.

 

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 12.41.49 PMScreen Shot 2018-07-25 at 12.50.06 PM

 

 

They reassembled the gun wrong, missing a piece... What if they build their gun based on those memories?  The gun won't work.  :)

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, plappi said:

KIM YOON AH – DAYS WITHOUT TEARS (눈물 아닌 날들) MR. SUNSHINE OST PART 3


Like being caught
With feelings I shouldn’t have


Until time grew faint
You came to me

This speaks to me like the tragic fate of Ae-sin and DM. I have this feeling that she is going to acknowledge him only at the last moment of his life. :tears::tears:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, charray said:

 

Thank you for sharing about this book. I just started reading it. A fascinating read about life in Korea during that time period through the eyes of a foreigner. She can be quite brutal in her views like this part where she wrote about the appearance of korean woman.  

 

There is enough content and material to be made into a movie. :wub: 

 

Based on the memoirs, American Legation will be closed when Japan took over Korea totally so it means Eugene would leave Korea and go back to America then?? Just speculating about the ending. :unsure:

I dont know if America totally left Korea then they were still in a part of it. 

 

46 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

I don't remember the details but she does go into detail about the political betrayals and conspiracies going on. She writes about who she thinks was behind the murder of the empress. And also why US walked away, and painful to read, even worse or as worse as we see depicted in dramas. YES, it could and should in my opinion be a movie.   She is a nice good hearted woman with a sincere love for humankind.  Of course there was culture shock going on so she is responding to her own cultural prejudice regarding beauty. 

Did America totally leave because from what i read they still had control of a part of Korea when JP took over.

 

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Wotad said:

I dont know if America totally left Korea then they were still in a part of it. 

 

Did America totally leave because from what i read they still had control of a part of Korea when JP took over.

 

 

I don't know the details. I just remember that there was a great deal of intrigue and betrayals, greed to the extreme (shown in the drama) and that part I cannot forget is  when she describes how the US did not protect the  Koreans from Japan (which was a great hope and belief among common people) and that there were in her description men crying in the streets,  and how she actually felt ashamed of her country.   She was a dedicated missionary and doctor who got to know the Koreans and admired and loved them - not a political operator.  So it is quite stunning, when she objectively speaks about how Korea was sold out and eaten up like that.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

I don't know the details. I just remember that there was a great deal of intrigue and betrayals, greed to the extreme (shown in the drama) and that part I cannot forget is  when she describes how the US did not protect the  Koreans from Japan (which was a great hope and belief among common people) and that there were in her description men crying in the streets,  and how she actually felt ashamed of her country.   She was a dedicated missionary and doctor who got to know the Koreans and admired and loved them - not a political operator.  So it is quite stunning, when she objectively speaks about how Korea was sold out and eaten up like that.

 

Yeah its shocking how its leaders could do that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2018 at 5:46 PM, maddymappo said:

It is a short book. Here is the website. https://www.gutenberg.org/files/50609/50609-h/50609-h.htm

It is available for free. It is wonderful (despite the title)  and also has several pictures of that period, I show one below.  Author L. H. Underwood (Lilas Underwood).  She was there during this very same period.  She personally knew and really liked the last Empress who was so brutally 

 

 

 

Thank you! :wub: it will be an awesome read!!!

 

6 hours ago, rubie said:

 

This one? Or the upcoming episode when he took away Ae Shin's gun, to protect her?

 

 

Yes! This one, thanks for the gif, now I can watch it anytime, anywhere :wub:

 

 

ps: sorry for post again but I don't know how to quote two times in the same post after the change in the forum '-'

Edited by Berou
Merged posts :)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Susie Derkins said:

This speaks to me like the tragic fate of Ae-sin and DM. I have this feeling that she is going to acknowledge him only at the last moment of his life. :tears::tears:

 Sadly I also share the same feeling. I can already picture the scene of his last moment as him covered with his blood, smiling as he is facing death, looking at AS who is in tears and holding him in her arms. She finally tells him that he holds also a place in heart and she was a fool for  ignoring it and not having confessed sooner. DM comforts her and tells her he is actually happy to die in the arms of the woman he loves and it is his happiest moment .  He grabs her skirt ( because the skirt has so much symbolism in their relationship) and says to her it is the closest he can come to her and he dares not to be greedy.  They stay like this until life leaves DM's  body. 

 

This is the typical tragic ending scene shown in many movies and dramas when lovers get separated by death. It usually leaves a big impact on viewers and I expect KES  to give her main characters a grandiose tragic death if one of them dies.  

  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@alemary You talking about this guy?

 

Chilbong%20YYS_zpsjtf7dx98.jpg

 

Well, he's on the route to make a second history of being the 'fangirling' (as you called it) nation's unrequited crush...

 

giphy.gif

 

YYS2_zps9jqupzxu.jpg

 

Nevertheless, do you really have to go to that extent @alemary ? *sigh*

 

Just stay in your heavenly ship and at least learn to be polite ... please? Thank you.

 

Spoiler

giphy.gif

 


 

P/S: Perhaps I am low on sugar this morning... @daydreamer115 hear, hear... although that uglified persona is just *cough* nose-bleed hotz *cough* and it's not even his fault! Never! :tounge_xd:

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Announcements



×
×
  • Create New...