[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

@luvkstyle if I am not wrong, someone already mention at dramanice dot eu, maybe you can try.

@brielover the queen that YH mention to the maid was her mom, not queen whatwashername. In conclution, yes.. YH  and the Queen were in on the poisoning together and make sure the one who bring the tea was HaeSoo

Edit: I just rewatched and it is true it was Queen whatwashername not her mom. Sorry :sweatingbullets:

• Like 9

*Some spoilers about the original drama included below*

As someone who enjoys this drama, I have been wondering what it is about it that Korean viewers don’t like. I won’t go into the ratings details, because that has been discussed ad nauseam. But I think other than the obvious issues with directing, editing, etc. that has been mentioned, there are elements of the story itself, that are unusual in Kdrama land.

One is the antihero – Korean dramas don’t feature a lot of antiheroes, the protagonist that does bad things, even with valid reasons. Usually, even when depicted, they always make sure they have a sad ending, so think Lee Byung Hun’s character in IRIS, Jung Khyung Ho’s character in Heartless City, or Go Soo’s character in Empire of Gold, and so many other dramas. Essentially, the Anti-Hero cannot be celebrated. Which explains why Hae Soo, was written as someone who had no full knowledge of the era, and she accidentally stumbles on who Gwangjong, the future, evil, king will be. Whereas in the original, Rouxi, was well versed in history, she knew 4th Prince would become emperor, and knew what happened to the brothers, yet made the conscious decision to help him and fall in love with him.

In Moon Lovers, Hae Soo, is being depicted as someone who inadvertently helped 4th prince, while her true love is 8th prince, and it is almost a sacrifice of her true feelings that she will choose to be with 4th Prince. We see that in the scene, on the way back to the palace, where she chooses to return with 4th rather than with 8th or 14th prince, as a way to protect the other two. Once again, she is being shown as getting close to 4th, because of fear. That is a major change to the story.

The second issue is the fairy tale prince conundrumKorean historicals like to depict the royals has monogamous. Yes, there are mentions of concubines, but the king or prince is usually depicted has having ‘one-true-love’ and all the other women are interlopers, connivers, trying to break-up the love of the main couple. Think Yoo Ah In’s king in Jang Ok Jung, or Kim Soo Hyun’s king in The Moon Embracing the Sun. In both cases, it was almost a comedic attempt at depicting the king as saving himself for his true love, and in the case of TMETS, even after she was presumed dead!

Chinese dramas on the other hand, depict the royal harem, its many women, and the emperor freely giving his “favor”. Princes of a certain age, also have multiple wives, and in the original drama, 4th prince’s wife wasn’t evil, and just because 4th loved Rouxi, didn’t mean she became empress, because no matter what, that honor belonged to his first wife. In Kdrama land, all kinds of twists and turns would have been implemented to make that position, somehow belong to the true love partner. To some people, the idea of polygamous pairings, and multiple wives in this drama, isn’t romantic, and lessens their enjoyment of the drama.

13 hours ago, pwnkl said:

And here I thought, he's not that ambitious of the throne.. I'm utterly mistaken, guess family knows best.. bottom line is he's not coward, he just doesn't love her enough.. to suffice his hunger of power and thirst of fame.. this is a brilliant scene, YH knows exactly when to penetrate.. not your average villain. even if she's a straight witch, gotta give her some credit she's got more guts than Wook.. I know her drinking the poison intentionally was not entirely for So, but let's be honest if she didn't step up.. So could've died.

She didn't drink any poison at all, it all went down her sleeves and then she bit her lip for the blood effect. I think she did it not so much to save So but to save herself because she realized that the Queen knew her plan (the exchanged looks between them) and that the Queen could bring down YH's family with that knowledge. So that was the only way to deflect any accusations against her family.  Here is a bit of consolation should YH marry WS, there would no ending to the dogfight between daughter-in-law and mother-in-law, they will be at each other's throats and hopefully leave the SoSoo couple alone :P

• Like 13

@40somethingahjumma I really dun hate wook that much because to me he is a man of circumstances. He is not a villain. There are many people like him in real life, they live according to rules and expectations and responsibilities, never going  all the way out for the things they love. In some ways, they are consider good people.

His life in the end will be a tragedy, that is sad enuf.

Soo will be heartbroken and that is an unfortunate lesson for her to learn.

I am fully on So's camp but somehow I just can't bring myself to hate wook.  

• Like 13

episode 11 is making me cry crazily!

i still don't get it why people are still comparing BBJX with SHR.

in BBJX, the 8th prince's intention to get the throne was obvious from the start of the show. in SHR, WW initially did not want the throne until YH stepped in.

explains why in BBJX, we don't see the 8th prince turning to the dark side at all. he was at the dark side from the beginning.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, jazzellechng said:

episode 11 is making me cry crazily!

i still don't get it why people are still comparing BBJX with SHR.

in BBJX, the 8th prince's intention to get the throne was obvious from the start of the show. in SHR, WW initially did not want the throne until YH stepped in.

explains why in BBJX, we don't see the 8th prince turning to the dark side at all. he was at the dark side from the beginning.

He wasn't at the dark side. All the Princes more or less wanted power before and after Rouxi came in their lives. They all had ambitions, goals from the start. Rouxi merely set a chain of events in motion. 

8th was much more likable there. 

Here,  I do understand Wook but I can't like him. Mainly cause he is always the last one to know, understand and act. Passivity is his defining characteristic. This is precisely why Yeon Hwa will become Queen to Wang So while he will never be King.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, chatake said:

The King cannot marry Oh Sang Gong because she is of lowly birth. Also Oh Sang Gong probably does not want to get married as she is bitter about the King left her for power and throne. Also the court lady that was poisoned to miscarriage is Oh Sang Gong. Queen Yoo framed Wook's Mother and exiled her. She does not want her children to go thru the same thing as her.

Both the wine and the tea are poisoned. CP did not drank the wine. Also. YH faked being poisoned.

That make sense! Thanks for the clarification! 

• Like 10

I think IU really surpassed her prior performances during the rain scene. I could see the palpable moment that her infatuation for Wook was extinguished! The forlorn stare at his retreating form and the moment she gathers her resolve, her resignation to the inevitable. Intuitively she knew he was incapable of helping her, I could discern that from the lack of startled disappoint in her expression. 

I thought it was more of a look of disenchantment; she finally sees though the gentleman facade and courteous attentiveness, disintegrating in the rain right before her very eyes. 

• Like 23

1 hour ago, solelylurking said:

Yeppp.. Serving fresh leaves green tea added with a tons of ginseng extract haha... I'm sure he's more than Mr. Grey although he's lack of experience. 

I think HS can get pregnant just by the look in his smoldering eyes sometimes. 

*make sure you lock the door secure and thight, you two*

oooo... experience just about number of effectuate dear, with that touchy-feely rate he will be expert in no time.. crazy-monkey-emoticon-190.gif

and you know ginseng can make your body warm, if you serve tons of ginseng he probably can't  wear some clothes for a while ahahahah... 

not only HS right?, by now I think he  already make millions ovaries explode with that eyes. maybe you too?? crazy-monkey-emoticon-060.gif

• Like 8

Shhh... Shhh... I would not let this happened to you again

CrU6A5LUkAAF8_g.jpg

But in front of his sister he had no courage to defend her

moonlovers04-00358.jpg

It was inevitable to end this way

moonlovers11-00579.jpg

Wang Wook knew his family, knew his sister very well he knew that his family needs strength and only a political marriage will give them this. That's why he hesitated so much to tell his mother and his sister that he loves Hae Soo and he want to marry her. He knew that he might be forced to choose between Hae Soo and his family obligations. Then why he encouraged her feelings towards him if he knew that? Why he was not honest and did not say her the truth? That it is possible for them to don't end up together.

• Like 23

I did watch c-version after I started k-version.and marathoned it in one go without sleeping. Storywise it was really intriguing. I agree.I may be biased(or sound superficial) but the look wise or costume wise I kind of felt off. But I liked c-version purely because of rouxi rather than any princes. She was fierce and initially hot headed too. I remember when she got title of 13th sister or something. Honestly c-version 4th Prince was really calculative. He was a little stiff for my taste. I did like 8th Prince there.and never considered his ambition wrong infact rouxi asking him to leave his ambition or her made me conflicted. I understood rouxi POV as well as 8th prince POV. Coundnot decide between two as opposed to k-version where I am su camp. While in c-version I was never sold on 4th-rouxi ship,maybe because I could never really leave 8th-rouxi ship, here I have no qualms about shipping them together. 

I think in last it boils down to individual taste. I don't really enjoy to heavy and political stuff,because they make me sad and angry at unfairness.this has been one reason I avoided GOT for so long until this year.

PS:but I do agree about sloppy editing and too much closeups.

• Like 14