Hey Barbie, Let's Party!

confusedheart

Hey Barbie, Let's Party! A Surprise Poll is now up!  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Did you have a Barbie growing up?

• Yess! I had the whole collection.
    • Not a collection but I had few, thanks to friends and family.
    • Never ever! I can't bear the sight of them.
    • None of the above. Anything else. Please comment.
  2. 2. Are you going to watch the new Barbie movie?

• When hell freezes over!
    • I have watched them all and all set to watch the latest.
    • I want to watch it to know what the hype is all about.
    • Want to know if it lives up to my old childhood memories.
    • None of the above. Anything else. Please comment.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/22/2023 at 10:55 AM

11 hours ago, confusedheart said:

Oooh I have fond memories of Hello Kitty too. I think the first time I came to know of it's existence was when ,y father returned from Japan , bring with him all things Hello Kitty. My most precious among them was a Hello Kitty watch, my first watch in this lifetime. :issohappy:

Agreed but I don't mind Barbie and Ken with dark hair. 

@kokodus will be extremely happy to know of this. 

That's an interesting choice. Why him? I actually suggested Song Hye-kyo as Barbie. I wonder if we are giving ideas here..... :wink:

My nieces are super excited and hyped. I think we will go watch it only for them. Too much pink everywhere. Apparently, they ran out of pink paint as everything on the set was constructed and no VFX  used. 

@confusedheart 

*** My first “Hello Kitty” stuff was a coin purse from Japan and a key chain from Taiwan. No matter how old we get, there is still that child inside of us that just wants to play all day with her toys. NICE to know that you also have fond memories of this Sanrio toy. But, who says we can’t continue to do the same as adults? – hahaha –  :Megalol:

*** I don’t mind it, too for Ken but, for Barbie, I prefer her blonde. It was really a preference, and I preferred that color for her. I remember it was in the 80’s when Black Barbie was born. I still recall the packaging proclaimed: “She's Black!

*** Ohhh....like @kokodus, I also adore BTS V aside from Jungkook!  :ohboy2:

*** Why Song Joong Ki? IDK why...............I guess he just first came into my mind during the time of posting.  :heart2beat:   Or I have read your post prior posting it - LOL - :kitty:

*** "Barbie" movie is surrounded by anticipation and excitement as it has been set up to be one of the most interesting 2023 releases. It feels like it was a long time coming. So, it's coming straight out of everyone’s childhood dreams now. And what is more Barbie than the color pink? Ohhh............how I love that color. All in all, the promotional material released for the film so far has managed to make most of its audience especially the kids/children look forward to various aspects of the movie. It definitely looks like Barbie is going to live up to its hype.   :heart3:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 4

1 hour ago, willenette said:

"Barbie" movie is surrounded by anticipation and excitement as it has been set up to be one of the most interesting 2023 releases.

I wasn`t planing to watch it but after so much hype, I decided to go see it. I am going tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Blob 2

58 minutes ago, larus said:

I wasn`t planing to watch it but after so much hype, I decided to go see it. I am going tomorrow.

@larus  Can't really figure out how "Barbie" is getting such a huge hype. How did the hype come about. I haven't heard of the director until this movie. I don't know how much fanbase barbie as a merchandise or a franchise already has. Well, like the trailer tagline says: "If you love Barbie, this movie is for you. If you hate Barbie, this movie is for you." - I don't think I understand how INSANE the Barbie craze got at a certain point. I know it got REALLLLLY crazy when I was a kid. And now the people who grew up on those dolls are either parents or grandparents and it kinda hits the nostalgia for them, I feel.   :heart1:

• Like 3
  • Blob 3

8 minutes ago, willenette said:

Can't really figure out how "Barbie" is getting such a huge hype. How did the hype come about. I haven't heard of the director until this movie. I don't know how much fanbase barbie as a merchandise or a franchise already has. Well, like the trailer tagline says: "If you love Barbie, this movie is for you. If you hate Barbie, this movie is for you." - I don't think I understand how INSANE the Barbie craze got at a certain point. I know it got REALLLLLY crazy when I was a kid. And now the people who grew up on those dolls are either parents or grandparents and it kinda hits the nostalgia for them, I feel. 

I am not attached on Barbie in any way. I really don`t have memory of Barbie as I did not grow up with this doll but I want to see a comedy and from the reviews it looks like it will be a good comedy. We`ll see.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, willenette said:

@larus  Can't really figure out how "Barbie" is getting such a huge hype. How did the hype come about. I haven't heard of the director until this movie. I don't know how much fanbase barbie as a merchandise or a franchise already has. Well, like the trailer tagline says: "If you love Barbie, this movie is for you. If you hate Barbie, this movie is for you." - I don't think I understand how INSANE the Barbie craze got at a certain point. I know it got REALLLLLY crazy when I was a kid. And now the people who grew up on those dolls are either parents or grandparents and it kinda hits the nostalgia for them, I feel.   

They have done a good job with the promotions. They have marketed in such a way that if you don't watch it, you are terribly missing something the whole world is enjoying. They are triggering the fear of missing out phenomena among the people. But it won't be working in our country, where most people wouldn't have even had the real Barbie during their childhood. Most people won't be able to relate to the craze as they don't know much about the Barbie lore. We just know that it's a pretty doll except for maybe the upper middle class and rich people. Hands down Oppenheimer is going to win here. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 3

19 hours ago, confusedheart said:

I won't mind if a K celeb plays Ken. They are sooooooooooooo perfectly handsome. 

I will wish it on Lee Byung-hun. 

:evillaugh:

but if we are talking about male dolls, then…

Cha Eun-woo

Ro-woon

Seo Kang-joon

• Shocked 1
  • LOL 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

Yaaaaa!!!!!! :yaaa:

Ken has abs!

:1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

At least my and @joccu’s Kens did! And Ryan Gosling - movie Ken.

Am seeing a lot of Ken suggestions on this thread. Suggestions of oppas who have :

NO ABS !!!!

:Furious:

Thank goodness someone suggested Taec.

:evilelmo:

• Sad 1
  • LOL 6

Alright chingus, let's get this party started! :partyblob:

@confusedheart Like @LeftCoastOppa's sisters I had the whole Barbie enchilada.

84A4C64C_1.jpg?sw=767&sh=767&sm=fit

PS. All survived @partyon's siblings.

My Ken had abs too! :glasses:

Am definitely DEFINITELY going to see the new Barbie movie! Planning to see it this weekend. Oppenheimer can wait until next week.

copy-of-g2-cover-1290623043604.png

@rocher22 Was planning to wear pink to the Barbie movie, but I love your tiara idea. Am gonna go for that too!

tumblr_m3xkkdJ6fD1rrzar7o3_250.gif

@larus How did you like the Barbie movie?

• Blob 5

13 hours ago, partyon said:

@larus How did you like the Barbie movie?

It was OK. I felt bored a couples of times. :w00t: It was a comedy but I did not laugh at all (perhaps I smiled a couple of times). I am sure I am in minority to not understand why the hype this movie had.  I hope I will enjoy more Oppenheimer movie.

Spoiler

The likes:

The plastic fantastic word looked credible. Lots of pink and the colorful Barbie Land looked like the doll`s land. Margot was a credible Barbie. I think she was a good cast.

America Ferrera`s speech at the end of the drama

Barbie meeting with her creator

Ken`s song.

Ken was the antihero but for me he was more likeable, felt more real.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • LOL 1

On 7/21/2023 at 9:24 AM, larus said:

It was OK. I felt bored a couples of times. :w00t: It was a comedy but I did not laugh at all (perhaps I smiled a couple of times). I am sure I am in minority to not understand why the hype this movie had.  I hope I will enjoy more Oppenheimer movie.

I loved the movie! :love: It was heartwarming and fun! And it had a lot of abs! Ryan Gosling was shirtless in 80% of his scenes.

:lollipop:

As for who I would pick for a Korean remake:

Korean Barbie - either:

1) Nana - she is tall, beautiful and has long legs

After-Schools-Nana2.jpg

or

2) Han Chae Young - tall, beautiful and long legs

korean-female-celebrities-with-attractiv

As for Ken, he would need to have abs, can play a bit dumb and has to have great comedic timing. I would choose:

Siwon

FanE.gif

Runner-up: Taecyeon - because he fits the bill AND he loves the beach (like Ken)

d55d62b50fc2962b13669b85542745fa.jpg

• Awesome 2

13 hours ago, partyon said:

1) Nana - she is tall, beautiful and has long legs

:approves:

9b61c0996071e1918b33f0ad838e715494da0cfe.gifv

c Nana IG

===

19f30f50cea8f97e2dcf039f3bf302e782f24afa.gifv2b6de2c2541efa2c9613461cd8a34e4efcd50808.gifv

I honestly did not have high expectations for Barbie . This movie won’t be for everyone , It's biggest fallback being the hit-or-miss comedy and its biggest strength being the deliverance of its message, It’s one of those films you have to watch multiple times to truly catch every detail. 

• Awesome 2

1 hour ago, partyon said:

@Learry You watch Barbie? Did you like it? Did you wear pink to the movie?

It's mixed emotion chingu seeing some people wearing pink and littles girls carrying around their Barbie dolls. The movie, just like Barbie, is a symbol of beauty, and living outside the box.

#barbie from obiwan

@partyon chingu:Pandabulous:

cto

• Like 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 1

Thanks everyone for participating. Sorry, I haven't been around much. Work place has been difficult. Anyway, we have Barbie to give us some much needed or rather a much deserved break. 

I have decided to watch it after @partyon chingu couldn't stop praising it. TBH, I was planning to watch Oppeneheimer. Anyone watched that instead of Barbie? Anyone planing to watch both?

So according to the poll, most of us had a few Barbie, if not the entire collection, and secondly we seem to all be curious about the hype and want to watch the movie to see what the hype is about. Well, as they say, any publicity is good publicity. The PR was successful in creating a buzz, and we are all thronging to the cinemas near us to catch what the hype is all around. 

Oppenheimer meme : r/NolanMemes

Thanks for voting and commenting, chingus. Once again, apologies for not being active in my own event. I hope to be more interactive in the next event. 

@Learry @larus @kokodus @willenette  @LeftCoastOppa @MayanEcho @rocat @Lmangla @rocher22 @gm4queen @ElleSor @leo2020  @Gumiho

Please look forward to another event soon....

re - 

@confusedheart  @partyon @agenth and @Sleepy Owl

• Like 4
  • Love 6
  • Wiggle 1

14 minutes ago, confusedheart said:

I have decided to watch it after @partyon chingu couldn't stop praising it. TBH, I was planning to watch Oppeneheimer. Anyone watched that instead of Barbie? Anyone plaiing to watch both?

I watched them this weekend! Loved Barbie and Oppenheimer! :issohappy:

Both brought out different feels and it was great to experience both!

1) Barbie

Best part was that Ryan Gosling's scenes consisted of him without a shirt 80% of the time. :love:

barbie-ken.gif

Margot was great as Barbie and the movie was surprisingly heart-warming and had some deeper messages than what I was expecting. It's definitely a movie for adults - not for kids. I think one should have to watch it again to get all the details that were in the movie.

2) Oppenheimer

Great story. 3 hours long but not a dull moment. It has a strong message. This movie will surely win many Oscars. The acting was top notch by all of these amazing actors (Cillian Murphy, Robert Downey Jr, Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, etc.). The scientific part was also quite interesting, even though I wish more time had been spent on that. Very thought provoking movie overall.

rawImage.jpg

Cillian Murphy who finally got a lead role - pretty sure he will be nominated for an Oscar and even may win it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1