Favourite Time Travel K-Dramas

confusedheart

Favourite Time Travel K-Dramas (Choose as many as you want)  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite Time Travel K-Drama? (Choose as many as you want)

• 365: Repeat the Year
    • Alice
    • Chicago Typewriter
    • Live Up to Your Name / Deserving of the Name
    • Faith
    • Familiar Wife
    • Go Back Couple
    • God's Gift: 14 Days
    • Joseon Survival
    • Kairos
    • Life on Mars
    • My First Love / Longing Heart
    • Manhole
    • Marry Him If You Dare
    • Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
    • Mr. Queen
    • My Only Love Song
    • Nine: Time Travel Nine Times
    • One More Time
    • None of the above/ Anything else? (Please comment)
  2. 2. Which is your favourite Time Travel K-Drama? (Choose as many as you want)

• Operation Proposal
    • Queen & I
    • Queen In-Hyun's Man
    • Reunited Worlds / Into the World Again
    • Rooftop Prince
    • Saimdang, Light's Diary
    • Signal
    • Sisyphus: The Myth
    • Somehow 18
    • Hit The Top / The Best Hit
    • The King: Eternal Monarch
    • The Light In Your Eyes
    • Thousand Years of Love
    • Time Slip Dr. Jin
    • Tomorrow With You
    • Tunnel
    • None of the above / Anything else? (Please comment)
  3. 3. Which is your favourite Semi Time Travel K-Drama? (Choose as many as you want)

• 18 Again
    • Goblin The Lonely And Great God
    • My Love From The Star
    • None of the above / Anything else? (Please comment)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/15/2022 at 09:45 AM

3 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

Talking about time travel, I am sorry that I just can't help but must bring up this evergreen classic romantic old movie (1980) - "Somewhere in time" (Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve)...

Ohhh, I love such movies so much). Should also apologize for a bit of an off top, but the first thing that gets in my mind while talking about some time- travel/ "mess with time" stuff are not any dramas , but the 2006 The Lake House. Sandra and Kianu managed to create magical and beautiful story I'll never forget :wub:.  

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Blob 2

Funny you should ask.  It was 2 time travel dramas that brought me to kdramaland.  The first drama I saw was Nine: Time Travel Nine Times.  I loved it so much I looked for another and found Queen In-Hyun's Man.  That's where I fell in love with Ji Hyun Woo and became a diehard kdrama fan.

I've been to every fan meeting Hyun Woo has had since he got out of the military.  

spacer.png

Toasting with Hyun Woo! (He had water, I had soju)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

Ufff, looking at the poll I realized once again how many dramas I haven't seen. :lol: I did watch two episodes of Signal so I voted for that one :). And, of course, I voted for My Love From the Star, a favorite.

Funny thing is that in my pre-kdrama life I did enjoy time-traveling movies, shows, and books, like....Back to the Future, and Outlander. (Guys, please read Outlander books 1 - 4. So good.) There's also a super-fun film called Safety Not Guaranteed.

Back to kdramas, I'm interested in finishing Signal some day, and watching Tomorrow with You as well as The Light in Your Eyes. And maybe one of the dramas with Queen in the title.

@agenth @confusedheart and @partyon I learned two new phrases this week. "Chef's kiss" (seriously had never heard of that one! What's wrong with me?) and "RBF" (my sensibilities won't allow me to type it out). All thanks to you guys. :wow1:

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

18 hours ago, partyon said:

No need! The hair is atrocious! 

I cried while watching the trailer for The Sound of Magic this morning. :bawling:

Poor oppa! 

Nice to see JCW in a musical.  I know he's done a lot of musical theater, so now us international fans get to see/hear him sing.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

I have watched several time-travel dramas, and the ones I really liked were the ones where the time travels suddenly just happens. It is not in the character's hand who just time traveled, and then they have no option to really go with the flow and try to understand why they were the ones who happened to time travel. 

Its hard for me to rank top 5 of my favorite time travel dramas, but I believe the following would be the top 5:

1. Go Back Couple
  2. Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
  3. Signal
  4. Tunnel
  5. 18 Again

I really enjoyed "Go Back Couple", and in my opinion it will be my most favorite time travel drama, while for the others in the list I think the order does not really matter. 

"Go Back Couple" had a very a straightforward plot, but the overall execution of it, and the performance by everyone in that drama made it very memorable for me. "Familiar Wife" had a similar concept as well, but I didn't really like several things in that drama.  

"Moon Lovers" was based on the era and the King of Goryeo which I find really interesting, and would actually love to see a proper Sageuk to be made on him and that era. But the main point of that drama was the FL trying to survive there, but also using her modern era skills to solve certain problems. So I really enjoyed the drama, would re-watch it some day, but the drama went DARK pretty soon. Not that I complain, but I don't really think many of us was ready for whatever happened when it happened :sweats:

"Signal" was not really a new concept since I believe there was already an English series with similar concept, but I really enjoyed the execution of it, and also how we got to see future getting changed with the changes in the past. Let's see if there will be any S2, but I enjoyed S1 and think they did conclude it really well. 

"Tunnel" was another interesting concept, based on same case as Signal (if I am not wrong), but different approach. Loved how ML took sometime to get adjusted in future, and was still going old-school sometimes while investigating the cases. It had a really good twist, and was a good watch. I loved re-watching it last a few months ago. 

"18 Again", while many including @partyon Noona enjoyed the movie more, I enjoyed this drama more than I enjoyed watching the movie. Of course this was official remake of that movie, and they turned a 2 hour movie into something of 16-17 hour long series, but I actually loved the things they added there. The wife getting a complete sub-plot of herself, the ML getting more involved with his kids, and we see both the leads over the time realize how both of them were wrong in the relationship. So for me, this was a really good drama, and I will definitely re-watch it soon.

16 hours ago, confusedheart said:

Now, I don't understand this tongue in cheek comment of yours. Not sure if you are laughing and ridiculing the handsome oppa's arrival or you are 'awed' by it. But knowing whatever little I do of you, it is most probably the later. BTW, I thought you'd be  writing eulogies in praise of Alice. Yours and @sleepy owl's favourite drama that the two of you can't stop talking about. :D

On 4/11/2022 at 11:49 AM, partyon said:

1) Alice - @LeftCoastOppa's and @Sleepy Owl dongsaeng's favorite drama

Yup, Alice would be our most favorite drama 

demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

12 hours ago, leo2020 said:

Ohhh, I love such movies so much). Should also apologize for a bit of an off top, but the first thing that gets in my mind while talking about some time- travel/ "mess with time" stuff are not any dramas , but the 2006 The Lake House. Sandra and Kianu managed to create magical and beautiful story I'll never forget :wub:.  

The 2006 Lake House was actually a remake of sorts of the Korean film Il Mare (2000) ... in the 2006 movie the restaurant Sandra & Keanu are supposed to meet at is called "Il Mare" in homage to the Korean film

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Blob 1

21 hours ago, Idylla Kaizoku said:

(Enoshima Prism has also similar, soothingly nice way, but it's a Japanese movie, so...)h. Te nature of time traveling here kind of make the changes and the effect somewhat stronger. 

Am adding this to my watch list, chingu. Thanks for the rec. I feel that Japanese do a fantastic job of depicting sci-fi on screen , of course after Hollywood who has tonnes of money to splurge! :piggie:

19 hours ago, Yinye said:

This is one of my fav trope - Bu Bu Jing Xin or Scarlet Heart Chinese version did this well.

Which one better a job? I have not watched Moonlovers but I know it has a phenomenal fan base. 

19 hours ago, partyon said:

....STEALS his son's girlfriend. :unamused: Oops

I uh don't know if I should watch this. Pretty convoluted ! Better to drop it.  For the sake of my few existing not yet dead brain cells.:emmm:

21 hours ago, rocher22 said:

The Best Hit - The plot was a little weird but I like the cast   :D

I really want to watch this but seeing your and @partyon's comments I am no longer sure. :tears:

18 hours ago, leo2020 said:

The King: Eternal Monarch and Faith were very cool, each in their own way))). 

How are you liking LMH in Pachinko?

Spoiler

I am heartbroken he is not the endgame and he isn't the 'good guy'. :brokenheart:

18 hours ago, SC2019 said:

Faith, which made me actually go to a fan meet to see LMH who came to my country and Queen In Hyun's Man!

Did you get to talk to him? Got his autograph? How was he ? As good as he looks on screen?:love:

18 hours ago, Lunkera said:

"Tomorrow With You" is easily the best one in the list.

I agree though I only watched the Taiwanese version, I agree with you. It was such a lovely story. :heart:

17 hours ago, Gumiho said:

OK my fav drama for this thing only 2. Faith and Rooftop prince.

Finally! I can't believe people are not talking about Rooftop Prince! That was hilarious. I loved, loved, loved it!:issohappy:

17 hours ago, Gumiho said:

I don’t know if my love from the star is a time travel drama. I think it’s alien drama. But I love handsome alien :bashful:

I got to watch this now. So many of us praising it so highly. 

16 hours ago, Idylla Kaizoku said:

that would change many lives

This, did not strike me. You are right there, chingu. 

15 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

The next event voting should be which are the best comedy kdrama? , or which Kdrama are the best from the remakes? :D

Thank you so much for the suggestion, chingu!:heart:

13 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

the absurdity of the situation

Chingu, ah I get it. Like your character got killed in the Soompi Survival Game. I totally get it now. :D

13 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Johnny Depp on a tight budget

This is so true! I am just not seeing what @agenth and @partyon are seeing. This just looks like a ripped copy  musical version  of a cross between Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Prestige. 

Spoiler

Part 3 of response coming soon. :D

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

25 minutes ago, confusedheart said:

How are you liking LMH in Pachinko?

Emm, that drama unforunately is not my thing at all... And I think that styling and era in general is not LMH's thing either. 

49 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

The 2006 Lake House was actually a remake of sorts of the Korean film Il Mare (2000) ... in the 2006 movie the restaurant Sandra & Keanu are supposed to meet at is called "Il Mare" in homage to the Korean film

Cool, never knew it was a remake :)

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Awesome 1

@lebeaucouple yes, my hubby and I love that song from Somewhere in Time. In fact 2 songs....and I can play it reasonably well on the piano. 

@leo2020 @confusedheart can I make you envious by saying that I have a group photo with LMH in it (organised by the agency who ran the fan meet) meaning it's not secretly shot but properly done? :bashful:

He's extremely tall and he's neither overtly friendly nor overly cold, just a slight smile, trying to appear professional. [probably nervous at what all these women would do to him in a foreign country, haha] So, there I was with a photo of him I had printed in colour, with him as Daejang from Faith, in hand, wanted to get him to autograph it but his bodyguards were there and I wasn't quite sure if my korean was right (despite using google to search how to say 'please sign this' LOL). So, all I did was stand there and watch him for a couple of seconds as the other girls kinda tried to talk to him/shake his hand etc. And the only thing that crossed my mind was "Gee, he is awfully tall" and while he does look quite handsome, I wasn't exactly smitten, just curious what it would be like to see him in person.

And that is the only fan meet session I have been to in my entire life. My hubby dropped me and picked me up - till this day I've not asked him what he thought of me going. :P

@TheaN I would say I am quite envious of you, that you got to go to a fan meet with JHW. But I would much, much rather prefer to go to a fan meet with Yoo In Na, Shin Min A, Han Hyo Joo and of course Son Ye Jin (now that would be a lottery ticket) though she has not acted in any time travel drama. [sorry, the female actresses kinda just rattled out of my brain naturally not that I am impartial to male actors]

@partyon would it be too boring to have an event entitled "Whose fan meet you would like to go to and why?" :sparklyeyes:

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

7 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

can I make you envious by saying that I have a group photo with LMH in it

:omg:

11 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

My hubby dropped me and picked me up - till this day I've not asked him what he thought of me going. :P

Once in Paris my husband and I were standing on a pedestrian crossing waiting for a green light and I just looked on the road and there was Pierre Richard on his motorbicke, just casually waiting for a green light as well. I instantly went into "crazy fan" mood :w00t:, practically jumping around my husband, telling him "That's Richard , hurry up, make a photo" and so on (OMG, that's so embarassing when I recall it now:D). My husband's look was like "emmm, ok, whatever" :joy:.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

@confusedheart BBJX (Chinese) is still the stronger version even if I loved the Korean remake too. It had more episodes, better script which was based on the novel) and so it did better re can accurately capture the novel’s focus on time, politics, and nuances better (Kangxi Emperor -Qing dynasty was in the 1700’s vs. Korean took it back all the way to King Taejo-Goryeo in the 900’s.)

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

With the recent discussion of the Lake House, I was reminded of another Chinese time travel movie thats getting a Korean remake ... I really enjoyed this movie, and I hope the Korean version can recapture the incredible music of the original ... they just finished shooting

The Original

Secret (2007) - IMDb

News on the Korean remake -

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2022/02/the-korean-adaptation-of-secret-starring-exos-do-finishes-filming

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

13 hours ago, TheaN said:

Toasting with Hyun Woo! (He had water, I had soju)

Omo! How cool is that! :glasses:

13 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

"RBF" (my sensibilities won't allow me to type it out)

Yes, thanks to @agenth and @confusedheart who think Suga / Yoongi has one. :rage:

@YongZura⁷ This is a travesty!

:kicks:

Honestly, the man looks like a sweet kitten - a very approachable one! :heart:

His reaction to their comment:

Bored Cat GIF

6 hours ago, Prettysup said:

I tried, gave up after 10 minutes

Sounds like me basically. :glasses:

59 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

@partyon would it be too boring to have an event entitled "Whose fan meet you would like to go to and why?"

Absolutely not! We EOs are always happy to get suggestions and we will add this to our roadmap! :love: Thank you! :kiss_wink:

1 hour ago, confusedheart said:

Chingu, ah I get it. Like your character got killed in the Soompi Survival Game. I totally get it now. :D

@LeftCoastOppa Mr. Oppa

Sick Burn GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

By reading the above viewers' comments, i guess I am not the only person who is not really enjoying Pachinko drama so far. IMO, it is too "typical hollywood style" of filming, I don't feel any sadness effects while watching, but let's see the final EP.

@leo2020 and @SC2019

I am so glad that you both love the "Somewhere in Time" classic movie, and our dear chingu @SC2019 can even play the piano song of the OST, wow wow wow, amazing and awesome:foryou: 

• Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, confusedheart said:

I got to watch this now. So many of us praising it so highly. 

Chingu I really think you will like this one. It has snappy writing, a pretty quick-moving plot, and hilarious characters. Kim Soo Hyun is a dry and boring alien who has been on earth too long (400 years) and Jun Ji Hyun is a straight-up diva. But he starts to fall for her for some reason (and he has some very funny lines), and her caring heart comes through more and more as the story goes on. Park Hae Jin, Yoo In Na, Shin Sung Rok, and Yoo In Young (our favorite 2nd FL from Mask) are also in it.

You just have to get through the very first scene, because KSH has really strange hair and is wearing a formless weird dark robe. Then it gets better. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1