[Drama 2021] The Devil Judge ⚖️ 악마판사

Maetawinz

hw.jpeg

“The Devil Judge” Writer & Former Judge Explains Why Ji Sung And GOT7’s Jinyoung Are Perfect For Their Roles

The writer of tvN’s new drama “The Devil Judge” has shared his thoughts on the starring cast!

“The Devil Judge” is a drama set in an alternate-universe, dystopian version of Korea where the entire nation participates in a trial through a live broadcast courtroom show. Ji Sung stars as Kang Yo Han, a head judge with mysterious intentions: is he a hero of the people in a world filled with chaos, or is he a devil who wears the mask of the law?

Former judge Moon Yoo Suk, who wrote the hit legal drama “Miss Hammurabi” and has since left the courtroom behind to focus on his writing, penned the script for “The Devil Judge.”

Describing his inspiration for the story, Moon Yoo Suk remarked, “I think this kind of society is the perfect stage for a devil judge to rise as a hero by putting on a flashy trial show amidst the anger and discontent of the public.”

“Sadly, from a certain point on,” he continued, “rather than a kind and just protagonist, people started preferring to have an extremely powerful person on their side, no matter what their motives are. That’s the fantasy that this new era demands.”

“Instead of that fantasy in and of itself, I thought it was more fun to imagine what kinds of things might happen if that fantasy actually became a reality,” he went on.

The-Devil-Judge1.jpeg

Moon Yoo Suk also spoke highly of the drama’s four leads. In addition to Ji Sung, Kim Min Jung stars in the drama as Kang Yo Han’s powerful and deceptively charming nemesis Jung Sun Ah, while GOT7’s Jinyoung stars as Kim Ga On, an upstanding associate judge who is passionate about justice and grows suspicious abut Kang Yo Han’s motives. Finally, Park Gyu Young rounds out the starring cast as Yoon Soo Hyun, a tough detective who does everything by the book and has feelings for her longtime friend Kim Ga On.

Praising the four actors, the writer shared, “I’m so grateful for the [starring cast]. Ji Sung and Kim Min Jung are the spitting image of Kang Yo Han and Jung Sun Ah, so I’m amazed every time I watch their footage.”

“As an actor capable of a wide range of transformations, Ji Sung is able to capture the many faces of the unpredictable Kang Yo Han,” he continued. “Actress Kim Min Jung embodies Jung Sun Ah, who has so much presence that you can’t take your eyes off her, and who has an innocent lovability despite being a villain.”

Moon Yoo Suk went on, “I think that actor Jinyoung is doing a great job portraying Kim Ga On, who doesn’t lose his spark of sincerity and seriousness even amidst great hardship. Actress Park Gyu Young is also doing a great job portraying the steadfast Yoon Soo Hyun, whose inner strength doesn’t waver even in front of the powerful Kang Yo Han.”

Jinyoung-Ji-Sung1.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1477732wpp/the-devil-judge-writer-former-judge-explains-why-ji-sung-and-got7s-jinyoung-are-perfect-for-their-roles

• Like 5

EP1 Highlight Scenes.

.........................................................................................................

Spoiler

EP2 Previews 

Cr. tvN

Edited by Sunset
When you have more than 3 photos/videos, please use a spoiler tag for easier navigation
  • Like 6

For anyone looking for the intro music to Devil Judge (I'm loving the end credit music too, but I assume that is a original OST)

Short judgment of episode 1: Well it was interesting and I definitely will keep watching. The intro and premise is very sexy - as in it seduces the viewer to keep watching and see how the story unfolds. The way Judge Kang (Ji Sung) gets introduced to the world - first there is the politician and then he comes in. A very powerful move, and we are led to believe that Yohan will be on the "rich/powerful" side: His snazzy car, luxurious clothes and appearance, and the short tease between Judge Kang and Sunah. But there is more; this world is supposed to be very dark.

Along the way we see that Judge Kang has fooled the ones who think they are superior to him, the ones who gave him the power to be this judge and in this position where he can make his judgments. Clearly the Minister thought he was on her side, since she supported him and he told her, he'd do it "by the law", and in the preview we can see that she is getting angry at Judge Kang for derailing her plans. But Judge Kang has his own plan(s), and one of them includes letting Puppy Gaon know that Gaon is just a piece on his chessboard, making the deliberate choice to drop his benevolent act and YAWN, when "comforting" the grandmother.

:getmygrooveon:

I am looking forward to find out more about the story between Judge Kang and Gaon - the former clearly knows Gaon, the latter doesn't know the former - apart from his brilliant show-persona. Through Gaon's eyes we will be able to find out more about Judge Kang, though, in a throwaway comment by one of the rich people, we are told that Judge Kang's whole family apparently died, and he was the sole survivor. This backstory will play a big part in why Judge Kang does the things he does, and what his ultimate goal is, as it shaped him and to understand his history will be the key to his hidden motivation. 

Sunah will also be the person through which we find out more about Judge Kang, her limited interaction with him already promises more entanglement in future episodes. I did miss her as this episode rather focused on Gaon's black and white world, but I noticed in her scene with Minister that her sugary voice and smile held much threat that even Minister couldn't dismiss. She will be the one to watch out for, the one who possibly gets in the way of Judge Kang. 

Some nitpicky comments:

• The world doesn't look that dystopian, except for grungy subway (they apparently don't fix lights in Seoul Metro anymore), dark alleyways. And young adults looking very much jobless. 
  • Gaon - his character is that of a puppy, seeing world in black/white and being very emotional. I don't think he truly believes in justice, as he currently is rather a social justice warrior than a judge. He bases his judgment on emotions rather than facts of the case (he was almost offended that the bus driver was going to be prosecuted, despite the fact that bus driver committed a crime and was apprehended at the scene of crime; AND he was actually offended Judge Kang shot "at" driver to stop the vehicle - if he hadn't done that, both he and the girl would be dead). But what is more concerning, that he is not a good spy. I don't know what he "worked" on when he first came to this new job, because his colleague had to tell him to read the trial procedures on which he was going to sit in as judge. My dear boy, you will be three steps behind the one you spy on, unless you start to use your brain. 
  • The water scene was rather predictable, but it still got a laugh out of me. 
  • The bus explosion scene was too fake by graphics. And it made no sense to me that Gaon, too, would be frozen when bus of doom comes his way. 
  • Minister doesn't know the law that passed, probably the one that Judge Kang set in motion. How sad for her, but that's what you get for trusting someone too much and not doing your own homework. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

Was it just me or did others feel that the scenes at the beginning of the drama were similar to the ones in Joker? It seemed too uncannily similar too me. It gave me the same feel. Ji Sung looks like a high priest in a temple in Memphis, a rather snazzy one at that. I knew he had a few tricks up his sleeve and a rookie like Kim Ga-on cannot fathom Kang Yo-han depths. I am intrigued to know how they are related, what is the past connection between them. Kim Ga-on takes too much of screen time, I think. We would rather see more of  Kang Yo-han and I am hoping to see a formidable nemesis who are as good as the villains in his previous drama. I enjoy a battle of wit as we have witnessed in Ji Sung's previous dramas.  Kim Ga-on is too straitlaced.  I cannot help but yawn at his character at least at the moment like  Kang Yo-han. We don't want to see such two dimensional characters. 

I cannot help but feel that in this dystopian world, Kang Yo-han is similar to Batman in Gotham city, ridding the city of everything that was evil and corrupt.  I hope he meets his match in a Riddler or a Joker soon. Let the battle of wits begin soon.

Oh another thing, I have already mentioned the snazzy setting to create this dystopian world , but besides that, I also love the way it is so stylishly shot. As Kang Yo-han  was walking towards his car, Kim Ga-on runs after him to have a word, their mirrored reflections was one such shot.

This reminds me of an absurdity, Kim Ga-on could chase the Defendant's lawyer on his bike? :blink: Is he Usain Bolt that he could chase a car on his bike and arrive at the same time as the other person did?

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

Okay, so as said in the first episode, "A Monster emerges in the turbulent times". So while the top guys we say in the start had thought things would their way with this live trial thing, I don't think many had thought that Kim Yo Han would have agenda of his own. At the same time, Yo Han also knows what Ga On has been up to, I am sure he knew that he was listening to his conversations or following him. At the same time, it is already revealed that there is a history between them, which only Yo Han knows about. So there is an actual reason for Ga On to be selected as a judge in this live trial. 

The whole concept of it is interesting. But I wonder if the judgments will solely be based on the votes. Like if votes are for the defendant, would they let him go despite having some evidences proving otherwise? Of course this would not be something we would see a lot, but as Ga On suspected, there is a chance that such votes could be rigged, and I feel like we will see it happen somewhere in the coming episodes. 

So Yo Han fooled everyone, and doctor ended up in accident. I am not so hopeful for the old businessman too since I think Yo Han telling wishing for him to live a long life was a threat. 

We are yet to see Jung Sun A, but we already know that she is quite powerful seeing how she replied the Minister of Justice. As per the synopsis she is not really on good terms with Yo Han, and I am sure there was some deal between them for having Yo Han on the show. So I look forward to how she will try to put Yo Han where he was supposed to be. Like, all these rich dudes and higher government people would not be stupid to appoint Yo Han without having something against him there, or did he just fool them all? 

For now, things went as per Yo Han's plan, and by the looks of it, he has planned things in advance for a bigger thing. Question is, will Ga On end up joining him, or continue to suspect him. 

Talking about Soo Hyun's character, I am afraid, but I feel like there is a death flag over her head, and she's gonna die in the later episodes. I hope she does not die though. 

I don't know why I am getting some "Dr. Prisoner" vibes, since the ML there too was kinda similar to the ML here so far. Plus Yo Han does not necessarily seem to be a hero here, but more of an anti-hero. Looking forward to tonight's episode :wow1: 

• Like 8
  • Blob 2

So, I'm loving this so far -

Kang Yo-Han -  Good Guy or Bad Guy ... at this early point, I'm getting a consumed by revenge vibe.  I know its only episode 1 but I think he brought Kim Ga-On onboard to test him and his faith in the real law (not media)

Kim Ga-On and Yoon Soo-Hyun - These 2 are just adorable together. Its clear he already loves her even if he justs plays the best friend card ... his replaying "will you marry me" was just ...:wub:   which means we got heartaches galore coming.

Cha Kyung-Hee  ( Jang Young-Nam )  - I loved her as the crazed mother in the last 2 episodes of IOTNBO, Now we'll get to see her dark for 16 episodes ... and I'm just fine with that :D

Jung Sun-A   She's obviously the younger, evil, manipulative rival ... I'm thinking it'll be difficult to shake my image of her as Park Hoo-Ja from My Fellow Citizens  ...  same sultry confidence, with out the comedic factor ... and I'm just fine with that as well :D

Oh Jin-Joo   Third judge out - I found her distracting, but thats all on me, I just couldn't get it outta my head ... when she was flirting with Ga-On in the office, I kept expecting, at any moment, we were going to get an ...

Dramabeans Korean drama recaps

All in all, a good first episode.

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 4

2 minutes ago, confusedheart326 said:

This reminds me of an absurdity, Kim Ga-on could chase the Defendant's lawyer on his bike? :blink: Is he Usain Bolt that he could chase a car on his bike and arrive at the same time as the other person did?

Love the whole reply, but just wanted to cut it short (everyone else, read it ;) ) to focus on this. I did actually laugh out loud when I saw him on his bike riding after the car haha. I mean let's say there was traffic congestion etc. It's not impossible to keep up with bike, unless they went on a high way.  To me, it's rather ridiculous he thought he was being inconspicuous, since Judge only had to look at his mirror and see that he was followed by someone on a bike! 

Yeah, Gaon is very much too cardboard variety of "honest, upright guy", that's why we need him to sharpen his pencils and wits. Gaon and Judge are miles away from the sizzling Beyond Evil duo. Yeo Jingoo's character was kind of righteous too, but he knew some moves and he was willing to go to extremes. I'm hoping this will happen too, but Gaon's puppy eyes may just not be possible to earn that depth? We will see. 

That's why the few lines Judge and Sunah shared had me on the edge of my seat. In her I see a powerful woman who has her own agenda, possibly in conflict with Judge in contrast to their seemingly innocuous exchange. 

The cinematography is spectacular so far (except that awful explosion of the bus). I do like the way they use mirroring surfaces and Judge Kang's office is simply breathtaking ... and eery. 

Hopefully Judge Kang rattled Gaon's cage and he will have at least a good bark :D 

• Like 6
  • Blob 2

3 hours ago, confusedheart326 said:

Was it just me or did others feel that the scenes at the beginning of the drama were similar to the ones in Joker? It seemed too uncannily similar too me. It gave me the same feel. 

It was similar, probably on purpose. IIRC the writer said one of his inspirations was The Dark Knight and he wanted Yohan to be Batman with Joker's personality. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

37 minutes ago, qynn said:

It was similar, probably on purpose. IIRC the writer said one of his inspirations was The Dark Knight and he wanted Yohan to be Batman with Joker's personality. 

Oh that totally makes sense. Thanks for sharing that tit-bit there.:heart:  I had a deja-vu moment watching that scene. I am glad I am not too far off the mark for thinking that Seoul was a replica of Gotham city with all that anarchy and Kang Yo-han kind of an anti-hero Batman.  It will be interesting to see how Kang Yo-han portrays the eccentricities like Joker did. Ji-Sung is a fine actor. I am sure he will do justice. 

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

On 7/3/2021 at 9:28 PM, ponderings said:

Also if anyone noticed, this actor was Jisung's dad in Kill Me, Heal Me!

He's everywhere! Make me wonder, better be main role with 1-2 drama/year or supporting role with 5-10 drama/year

• Like 8
  • Blob 1

Oh wow this thread is POPPING now that the first two episodes came out for the drama :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

I haven’t finished watching episode 1 yet but Yo Han is an interesting character so far, I can’t tell if he’s good or bad yet. Will we have a dark hero as our main lead? Seems like Ga On seems very upright and by the book kind of person. I’m curious about him and the girl…I think she mentioned that he confessed and got rejected multiple times or the other way around?? Hmmmm…

y’all I expressed it MANY times but I’m excited for this drama! :cutekitty:

@tulip06 Yes I think Viki is the only place as of right now..if you want to watch it elsewhere, well….you know, thenotsolegalsites

• Like 7
  • Blob 1

Chingus, @agenth Chingu and I have put up the poll for the first 2 episodes of this interesting drama. Please don't forget to vote :heartxoxo:

Tagging: @larus, @backstreetboysfan, @Maetawinz, @ferily, @ponderings, @LeftCoastOppa, @qynn, @admonike, @noor1, @andy78, @tulip06, @marrez1

re: @Lmangla, @partyon, @agenth, @confusedheart326

• Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Blob 2

More on Question #2 -

How does an officer of the law, follow not one, but 2 speeding vehicles on a highspeed chase, and 1) not call for backup  2) stop a quarter mile away when they stop  3) watch as one of the "criminals" destroys the others car with a sledge hammer AND attempt to falsely entrap the man - and he's a JUDGE -  4) make no attempt to arrest either one? :rolleyes:

... still loving this drama anyways though :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

More on Question #2 -

How does an officer of the law, follow not one, but 2 speeding vehicles on a highspeed chase, and 1) not call for backup  2) stop a quarter mile away when they stop  3) watch as one of the "criminals" destroys the others car with a sledge hammer AND attempt to falsely entrap the man - and he's a JUDGE -  4) make no attempt to arrest either one? :rolleyes:

... still loving this drama anyways though :lol:

Nor do anything about the guy they were chasing in the first place.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Blob 1