[Drama 2021] Monster/Beyond Evil, 괴물

0ly40

https://zapzee.net/2021/02/20/beyond-evil-kicks-off-with-shin-ha-kyun-and-yeo-jin-goo-discovering-bone-remains/

‘Beyond Evil’ Kicks Off with Shin Ha Kyun and Yeo Jin Goo Discovering Bone Remains

by willow | images: JTBC

[Trigger Warning: The following article contains details of violence which is depicted in the drama.]

The drama Beyond Evil has finally been unveiled.

Spoiler

9AF2A6A0-56FD-448E-8612-EBCAC54FF615.jpg

JTBC’s new Fri-Sat series Beyond Evil (written by Kim Soo Jin and directed by Shim Na Yeon) has kicked off with its first episode at 11 p.m. KST on the 19th.

The show started off as the 20-year-old Lee Dong Sik (Lee Do Hyun) spends his leisurely days playing the guitar unlike his twin sister Lee Yu Yeon (Moon Joo Yeon) who became the pride of the family after getting into Seoul National University. Lee Yu Yeon, who was worried about her brother who stayed out late headed out after receiving a message saying “I don’t want to go home. Can you come out?” The next day, a shocking scene is revealed as the live cafe waitress was found to be killed in the field, and 10 disjointed fingers of Lee Yu Yeon were laid out in the yard.

E0D79B8F-37F4-4610-9AB5-981E26643635.jpg

20 years later, Han Joo Won (Yeon Jin Goo) partnered up with Lee Dong Sik (Shin Ha Kyun) to solve the case which was reported on his personal phone. Han Joo Won was seen to be struggling as he had to roll around in the reeds, looking for Bang Ho Chul, a patient of Alzheimer’s. Later when he asked Lee Dong Sik why he was looking out for Bang Ho Chul, Lee Dong Sik confessed that he “killed her youngest daughter.” However, soon after, Lee Dong Sik created a bizarre atmosphere as he smiled while saying that “it’s only a joke.”

After, Han Joo Won once again helped Lee Dong Sik and Oh Ji Hoon (Nam Yoon Soo) to find Bang Ho Chul. However this time, Oh Ji Hoon screamed when he found the hand of a white skeleton whose ten fingers had seemed to be cut off.

After sending Oh Ji Hoon back, Lee Dong Sik suspected Han Joo Won asking, “You know who this woman is, don’t you?” To this, Han Joo Won also asked, “How do you know? How do you know she’s a woman when she’s only a skeleton?” Han Joo Won then asked him straightforwardly, “Did you not kill your brother Lee Yu Yeon?” as he raised the tension with an untelling smile.

D11FE8F6-BD9C-477F-8FBA-A40AB9B1592C.jpg

More of JTBC’s Beyond Evil and the psychological thriller of two men will be available to be checked out every Friday and Saturday at 11 p.m. KST.

Source (1)

• Like 3

@Haeyoung88 I am looking too but Google search only leading to VIU and I am not sure if it is region restricted. I found link to VIU Singapore but redirected to VIU Malaysia where I am from but found nothing from the website. 

The English subtitle already uploaded through illegal stream though if you don't mind that. 

• Like 1

Kind of a spoiler

A little help? The victim in the opening is Yu Yeon the twin sister of the seasoned officer Dong sik. The clue at the beginning and the end of the episode is the ring. Are they the same?

As you can see on raw episodes, the tips of fingers are missing. There are other victims too. Four I think. One of them was the girl/lady at the restaurant who kicked young Dong sik out. 

Mr. New guy thinks Dong sik did it. So he is  there two fold. To catch him and to "lie low till dad gets to be commissioner general". 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, brooksmom said:

A little help? The victim in the opening is Yu Yeon the twin sister of the seasoned officer Dong sik. The clue at the beginning and the end of the episode is the ring. Are they the same?

Spoiler

No they are not the same. I believe the newfound skeleton related to Han Ju Won and I think she was the reason that Mr Dad want him to lay low. The actress who was in his flashback is not a no name actress. I believe they will reveal more about the connection between the female, Han Ju Won and Mr Dad.

I am going in this blind but I am liking the first episode. The last shot of Lee Dong Shik is really creepy and that expression alone made me doubt a lot of things. I am going to watch 2nd time which will involves a lot of pausing to find more clues. I hope it will remain a fun and thrilling ride. :sparklyeyes:

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Got time to spare and I already did 2nd watch. There are total of 5 similar cases where the body was found in similar state;

1. Bang Ju Seon (15.10.2000)
  2. Jin Hwa Lim (29.7.2018)
  3. Wi Sun Hee (16.3.2019)
  4. Yeo Chun Ok (11.2019)
  5. Lee Geum Hwa (19.10.2020)

Lee Yu Yeon is still not found so I am not sure whether to classify her as a victim or not but I think she is because of her fingertips. Now I wonder if all the victim's fingertips were found or only Lee Yu Yeon's. The murders were almost 20 years apart, we might dealing with same murderer or two different murderers. There is also possibility of more victims in between those years but the body is not found. The newfound skeleton might be the latest victim based on her fingertips' state and her fingers are intertwined like the others, almost like praying position. Will religion belief be part of this or not.

One thing I feel like worth mentioning, Bang Ju Seon said 'something good is about to happen in my life today'  so she must be expecting something or meeting someone and if she is meeting someone, that someone not going to be Lee Dong Shik. 

I want to know why Lee Dong Shik was considered as suspect for both cases. Did the police found something related to him or was it because of his reputation as a troublemaker. His guitar pick looks unique so they might found it around the scene but we don't know anything yet. 

I feel like Han Ju Won's father, Han Gi Hwan is deeply involved in these cases. He was the one responsible over Yu Yeon and Ju Seon's cases during his time in Munju Police Station. 

Edited by kdramagrandma
added the latest similar case from EP 2.
  • Insightful 3
  • Blob 1

@kdramagrandma  And that means the murders happened when Ju Won was 5, 6, and 7 years old.

@kdramagrandma said:  Bang Ju Seon said 'something good is about to happen in my life today'  so she must be expecting something or meeting someone and if she is meeting someone, that someone not going to be Lee Dong Shik.

Yes, she had those two tickets. Yu Yeons disappearance happened on the same day they found Ju Seon. Yu Yeon heard screams that night as she walked to meet Dong sik. That's one thing I don't understand. Why would Dong sil ask his sister to go out late at night in the dark to meet him. Unless it wasn't him who sent the text. Notice the old clunker cell phones everybody is using.

Edited by brooksmom
have more to add
  • Like 1
  • Blob 1

@brooksmom According to the newspaper on Dong Shik's wall, Bang Ju Seon's body was not found within 3 days of her disappearance. The whole investigations were called off after 4 months 16 days, by I assume, Han Gi Hwan because his picture was attached with the headline. That is possibly why we only saw him giving a reaction when he heard who Han Ju Won's father is.

I feel that Dong Shik asking Yu Yeon out late at night was a normal occurrence between them because Yu Yeon's expression seems excited about it like she is anticipating it. But I don't exactly know whether she met Dong Shik or not prior to her disappearance. Whether she went missing on her way meeting Dong Shik or when she was on her way back. I just assume she was on her way to meet Dong Shik, passed through the reed field where she heard someone screaming which I feel it was Ju Seon's and she ran away. The night passes and her fingertips were found inside her home lawn by her mother the next morning. 

I think if Han Ju Won involved in any way with the initial cases, it will only because of his association with his father. He might see or heard something when he was a kid. The relationship between them also looks distant and he is submissive when in front of his father. The message between them just include Han Gi Hwan saying something and he just agree to it without any further replies. The flashback he got after seeing the ring on the skeleton also doesn't reveal when he experience that encounter. I guess we will know a lot more in EP 2.

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

On 2/19/2021 at 12:35 PM, Haeyoung88 said:

Anyone know where I can stream the drama with English subtitles?

Beyond Evil is being subbed at VIU and OnDemandKorea.  Looks like Schedule for subs is one day after broadcast in South Korea, so Saturdays-Sundays. Both VIU and ODK posted Ep. 1 with subs on Feb. 20.  Drama is region restricted so you will need to go to the sites to see if it is available in your country. (Note: VIU Singapore definitely have drama.  ODK link working USA) Make sure to click on CC button at bottom of screen and select English.

VIU: https://www.viu.com/  

OnDemandKorea: https://www.ondemandkorea.com/beyond-evil-e01.html

• Like 5
  • Blob 2

@Jillia@joccu same thoughts. I enjoyed Ep 1.  At one point, I even covered my face,  scene got me scaredy cat. The real question does he have something to do with killings.  Dong Sik did not go home and instead replied to the of Yu Yeon to just meet him. She knows where to meet him but on the way light post suddnely went off. Scream of another victim.

YJG as JHW the new as the new policer office rarely smiled.  Haven't seen Ep 2. I wonder why he's so keen on investigating the cold case. It happened 20 yrs ago.

Kudos to the productio.  because yes, in the year 2000 everyone used a nokia phone with the ring charm or  flip phone.

• Like 1
  • Blob 3

I just watched EP 2 raw, but WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING???!!! The ending is throwing me off AGAIN. I guess the writer intentionally wanting to keep Lee Dong Shik as the suspect as long as possible. Is Dissociative identity disorder (DID) possible?

I got it right about the guitar pick but wrong about Ju Seon's body not being found within 3 days after her disappearance. I must have misread the newspaper clippings as I only read the headlines. Sorry!

@jongski Han Ju Won was in Foreign Affairs Division in Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency 9 months prior being transferred to Manyang Substation.  He was investigating 3 similar cases to Bang Ju Seon's that happened recently (2018-2019). Rather than investigating cold cases, he is set to investigate Lee Dong Shik because he was the suspect for Bang Ju Seon and Lee Yu Yeon's cases that is similar with recent cases. I posted the list of victims on page 4.

I am going to watch again once English sub is released. Will post again if I found anything interesting and worth mentioning. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 4

Beyond Evil is good. The acting. The nuance and facial expressions alone is excellent! The mystery. The pyschosis. The creepyiness.  The cimematography and the music.  The brief flashback scene when DS father died in mid winter covered in snow is good too.

Yes.  After just two episodes already being to top tier acting! You know wer'e getting even more excellent  acting coming epiodes.

Fantastic.. and that's just his expression we have more episodes to come and see good actong from the two leads.

Done with Ep 2. I enlike it even more. The writer want's us to to feel empathy for Dong Sik..  His sister went missing,  he became the suspect  his father waiting on the intersection everydayfor the sister to come back until he froze to death in winter time, the mother lost her mind when she found the dead husband. And all Dong Sik wants is to resolve his sorrow.  I actuallly dont feel his sorrow but that's because he covers it up with his creepy  smile, him being a nutcase. But scenes when's alone and thoughts running inside his head.  But somehow with Dong Sik... is scary.

The question is .. didhe do the the terrible thing to his sister? I'd say no. But to BJS he probably did. I could all be wrong with this theory. After all it's only the  Ep2. Well that last scene.  He's got the severed fingers. They show Dong Sik's face.

@kdramagrandma Dong Sik's face of pain and sorrow but then his other personality.. creepy and scary.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

So having watched both episodes, I am hooked, and confused at the same time. The confusion this show has already caused is amazing in my opinion. For now, anything can happen, we have 2 main scenarios which could happen, and in my opinion, both would be equally interesting right now. 

1. Dong Shik being the murderer. This would be interesting, since it has been a long while when I last watched such drama. Dong Shik being the crazy psychopathic killer here, would be a change in typical plots of psychological thrillers we have recently seen. 
  2. Dong Shik not being the killer despite him being prime suspect even in the recent cases. Of course the revelation of the killer happens in the final few episodes, and seeing both the MLs searching for a crazy dude murdering like that in a small town would be interesting. 

Anyway, for now, things are directing too much towards Dong Shik here. He could have had some motive too. Bang Ju Seon kind of ill-treated him, and it could be a recurring thing, and the sister despite being good, was the reason he was looked down by the villagers since despite being twins, she was too bright according to them and he was not. But what actually points towards him as murderer is the fact that his plectrum (or simply called pick, used to play guitar) was found at the scene where Bang Ju Seon's body was found. And the last guy to have messaged his sister was him asking her to come out of the house since he wants to speak to her. Of course both of these, could have been used by the actual killer to point things towards him. 

For now, we know the reasons he got caught, but don't know the reason why he was let go. The fact that the substation chief is convinced he is not the murderer means there was something which proved Dong Shik's innocence. Now the reason I think Joo Won came to this substation is the fact that illegal immigrants are being missing suddenly and no one knows why. If the killer is doing that to them, he is smart enough to do it, since not many would really care about them missing. Question is, why he came suspecting Dong Shik? Did one of the immigrants disappear in that town which raised suspicions? 

Moving on to another big scene of the second episode, is the fact that they showed Dong Shik placing the finger tips of Min Jung where they were found. But at the same time it contradicts his reaction on seeing it, since we clearly saw him cry. Now I would actually be quite disappointed if they show Dong Shik having multiple personalities, and I hope they don't go that way, and if they do go, at least do it with some quality writing. Otherwise, I think it could be Joo Won imagining Dong Shik to have done that. 

We did see Dong Shik anxious that night, and he was searching for someone on the road, so it could be he was worried about Min Jung when she sneaked out of the substation that way. He was worried, anxious or better say not normal that night, and then the next day that happened. Would be interesting to see the next episode. 

Other than Dong Shik, there are some suspicious people out there in the town too, and he is not the only one. We have Park Jung Je, whose mom is the mayor or has some high position in the town. He does seem to be a bit less normal or at least gives out suspicious vibes to me, at the same time we Joo Won's dad, who actually wants the case to be buried for some reasons, which could be related to his appointment as Police commissioner. Maybe, since he was in charge of the case 20 years ago, he is worried for it to emerge again and people question him for being unable to close it, but I think there is more to it here too. There are multiple victims involved thanks to the pics Joo won has posted, and we need to see how things will unfold. For now, I am just enjoying the show.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Blob 2

Writer is teling us it points to him as the killer.   BUT.......

scene below.. when inding out Ming Jung went to the club and party party

cr: nanaaya twts

EuvHSZIVoAAEsgB?format=jpg&name=small

scene below talking to the guy who got  Min Jung drunk...

cr: saranghaesoo twts

EuvG5tLVoAAU7H9?format=jpg&name=small

BUT........... He's gotta be protecting another person. What do you think?  You thinking who I'm thinking? After all it's pyschological drama and it says 'Beyond Evil' so it's possible

Who do you think? Because  he can't be the killer. I mean.  tbh, I don't want it to go  be like dissassociative Identity Disorder

Ending scene below.

Same! like gasp!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 2