[Drama 2021] Monster/Beyond Evil, 괴물

0ly40

51 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

1. Chingu, it was revealed that the murders have happening and never stopped. Min Jung is the 7th victim and maybe there are more victims as some people like Jae Yi's mom are still missing for several years now. 

2. It seems like the other victims of this murder, that is out of the 7 victims, some are actually illegal immigrants and this was the case which Han Ju won was investigating before arriving to the small town. IT seems like he messed up that case, and was supposed to sent elsewhere and he decided to arrive here to investigate things on his own. 

3. Cutting fingers could be for many reasons. I think it purely depends on the killer and his reasons for doing it, but there is a high chance that he first cuts the fingers and then kills. This way, he could actually torture the victims. But again, it purely depends on the killer, whether he does it before or after the murder and why he actually does it. 

Hi ~~~ Thank you.

1) If the murders have been occurring continuously, would it rule out Dong Shik who left town and came back? 20 years is a long time for one perpetrator to continue the same killing.  The town must have changed a little- new buildings, new land developments, businesses changed.  It’s not easy to find the places to hide the bodies undisturbed without anyone noticing.  Also, the same person would have aged, developed relationships, change their daily activities and habits.  Who has remained unchanged all those years?

2) Are all victims female?  Female immigrants - why would they come to this small town and what jobs would they take on?  Nail salons, beauty parlor, restaurant/food business, ssrvice professions. How do they meet the killer?

3) What if cutting the fingers is to remove fingerprints

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

41 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

1) If the murders have been occurring continuously, would it rule out Dong Shik who left town and came back? 20 years is a long time for one perpetrator to continue the same killing.  The town must have changed a little- new buildings, new land developments, businesses changed.  It’s not easy to find the places to hide the bodies undisturbed without anyone noticing.  Also, the same person would have aged, developed relationships, change their daily activities and habits.  Who has remained unchanged all those years?

2) Are all victims female?  Female immigrants - why would they come to this small town and what jobs would they take on?  Nail salons, beauty parlor, restaurant/food business, ssrvice professions. How do they meet the killer?

3) What if cutting the fingers is to remove fingerprints

Hey there Chingu

1. I think the murders didn't necessarily take place in that town. It could have taken place in another place too. The 6th victim, the one Ju Won knew and gave the clone mobile to, had a massage parlor and Ju Won had told her to message him if Dong Shik arrives. Now, I think the murders could have taken place in Seoul or somewhere near it, making Ju Won more suspicious of Dong Shik, since he was in Seoul for a lot of time, before messing up a case big time and being transferred back to his home town, since when Ju Won's informant also went missing. Her mobile was found in the mountains in the town and body too, and she had sent multiple "1s" to him, which I think made him sure that Dong Shik is the killer. Although, I believe she did it out fear, the killer was after her, and the only police officer she knew was Ju Won so she messaged him, and sent him the 1s so that he can respond. 

There have been around 7 confirmed similar murders as per Ju Won, and we don't know how many are not yet reported or discovered. They are yet to find Yu Yeon's (DS's sister) body too who could be the first victim here. 

2. For now, yes, all the victims were female. Most of them were female immigrants. I think a smart move by the killer, since not many would care if the illegal immigrants would suddenly vanish. Many of their fellow immigrants would think they just returned or run away. 

3. Not sure what you meant here, could you please explain? Now cutting the fingers is said to be causing a lot of pain. If you have watched "watcher" the serial killer there too would torture by cutting the thumbs or other fingers. But there definitely is some reason behind it, it could be related to the reason why the killer became the killer, related to some childhood trauma or memory. 

Now this could be because their mother/step mom (usually its related to them) or even wife run away with someone or had been a hostess or some similar job where they needed to do make up, or do manicure like Min Jung or I believe the other victims had. You see, seeing this one, Jin Mook would fit here, if he was married when the case happened 20 years ago. Killing the girls out late, wearing make up etc. Since most of the killers don't kill multiple people in their minds, they kill the same person over and over again in their mind. Jae Yi could fit in the same category, but I am not sure about her age when the killing happened 20 years ago. The actress is young here, I think she was much younger than Dong Shik when it all happened and so I don't think she is the one who did the murders 20 years ago. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

@bedifferent I think that @Sleepy Owl explain covered a lot and I will just add on few more things.

1) Han Ju Won was in Foreign Affair unit which deal with illegal immigrants. His team was assigned to investigate 3 murder cases that happened in between 2018-2019 where the victims were all female illegal immigrants. The same MO was used on those 3 victims where their legs were tied in black plastic bag and ribbon just like Bang Ju Seon's, the first victim 20 years ago.

The location where the bodies were found was around the area of west Gyeonggi-do and Gangwon-do. Geographically speaking, Manyang is a fictional town at west Gyeonggi-do and Gyeonggi-do is the area surrounding Seoul, hence Seoul and Manyang is not that far away.  The only suspect that ever caught was Lee Dong Shik and he was in RIU at Seoul. My guess is, Han Ju Won thinks that it is possible for Lee Dong Shik to keep committing murders and dump the bodies at the surrounding areas around west Gyeonggi-do even though he was in Seoul.

The photo that he showed his dead informant includes few other people. Even though he asked her to message him if Lee Dong Shik ever come to her place, she might sent the message when one of those people in the photo came and not specifically Lee Dong Shik. Han Ju Won might come into the conclusion it was Lee Dong Shik himself since he keeps emphasizing him. 

However, I am not sure if all the victims shared completely same MOs. One, Yu Yeon and and Min Jung hasn't been found but their fingertips were left at their respective home. Two, the other victims' fingertips were mutilated when they found the body but I didn't catch any scene where Han Ju Won said the fingertips were left at their respective home too. Even Bang Ju Seon's fingertips were never mentioned whether they found it or not. 

3) Cutting the fingertips might be some kind of fetish or the token for the murderer. It can be any other reason that we can't even think of but it feels necessary for the murderer to do it. Might also be some kind of ritual. What I did notice was Bang Ju Seon's and Lee Geum Hwa's fingers were left intertwined. My initial thought was the murderer is imitating the common praying pose and during the scene where Yu Yeon's fingertips were found, the camera keep panning at the side where there was a small little angel praying statue next to the flowerbed. Yu Yeon's character also was first introduced when she was playing the piano for the church choir. However, there is no mention of anything faith-related after that so I might be the one who overthinking things. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 2

20 hours ago, dzareth said:

I'm going to guess LDS definitely did not kill his twin, although he might be guilty of killing the first victim.... hahaha who know?

This is also what I thought of  and posted after Ep 2. He didn't do anything to YY but maybe did something to BSJ. You this drama is so good. It wants you first to suspect Dong Sik.. then focus on others and we doubt Dong Sik is the one who killed and we look for others to suspect and we have  several of the characters already. But one of them is Beyond Evil. Pyschopath. Perhaps we're lulled in a false sense of security or of hope that it's not him. Ha Ju Won wil sink deeper into failure if it turns out he let go of his initial suspect. I mean what if?  That Dong Sik knows who did the crime. But then it could be him as well. That is twist on twist

He knows on 20 yrs ago Jung Je lied, same thing happened again. He asked him... 'what if I'm the culprit?"

Jung Je said he was suspicious of Dong Sik. He doesn't even know if Dong wen out or not or came back he relied on  door squeak,which  it did not.

Hmmm.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

@Sleepy Owl @kdramagrandmaThank you for the replies!  

I'm throwing out random thoughts here.

• Yu Yeon, Min Jung, Bang Juseon were all murdered/last seen near/on country roads... I think the murderer lives locally as he knew the roads or walked to meet the victims the nights  of the crimes.  He could also be driving on those roads at night, he is a local who knew the town.  Bang Juseon was not buried.  She was found on the same night as Yu Yeon but in the open field, which suggests he didn't have time to conceal her body maybe because he has two victims to deal with. 
  • I haven't ruled out that we may have a team, one murderer and an accomplice on Yu Yeon/Bang Juseon murders.  The accomplice has a reason to help conceal the crime.  Are we looking at council woman Do Hae-won or Lee Chang Jin as either accomplice or perpetrator?
  • Lee Chang Jin also left town after the divorce to Seoul just like Dong Shik.
  • Could the reason for leaving the fingers is to punish the families/parents?  Otherwise, no body, no confirmation of murders, it could just be a missing person case.  It feels like a vindictive move to cause pain.  The murderer knows the victims.  Why keep the bodies though? Hmmm.
  • The fingertips/fingerprints were left to postively ID the missing victims for law enforcement and family.
  • The illegal immigrants... I agree that they would be the perfect victims since they have no registry.  Their bodies were discovered with feet tied cleanly in bag.  That wouldn't be possible if the victims were not kept somewhere so the feet can be cleaned.   They must have been moved to a location after they lost consciousness.  I think they may have been drugged.
  • Min Jung was shown with smeared make up + signs of struggle.  But Ji Hoon and we saw her greet the person warmly.  I wonder if there is any clue on her phone.  She was seen using the phone after charging, she may have planned to meet the person.
  • Lee Geum Hwa died within the last 8-9 months.  Her shoes were spotless so most likely they were given as gifts on the night of her murder.  She couldn't have ran into the woods, her body was buried there.  The phone obviously was planted recently.  I feel that the murderer didn't cut off fingerprints because she has no family in SK.  
  • The other illegal immigrants also didn't have their fingers cut off since there is no need to ID his victim.  They were buried with fingers interlinked in praying positions, expressing remorse of their actions perhaps.  Or maybe because they have no family in SK, the fingers were an expression of grief.
  • Illegal immigrants are often weary of people, many stay together as a group.  Sometimes they don't even leave their employment or safe haven.  It's hard for me to imagine the women meeting the murderer by themselves.  Possibility that the murderer is of law enforcement background who somehow was able to convince the women to leave amicable without alerting anyone.
  • Dong Shik may have dropped his guitar pick 20 years ago rushing out of the cafe.  BJS may have planned to return it to him that night.

I don't believe Dong Shik is the murderer.  He's trying to mimic and replicate all the actions of what he knows about the cases to draw out the murderer.  DS is taking credit as a copy cat killer and an imposter to anger the real murderer.  Dropping the blanket at the police station opens up public interest and forced the police to reinvestigate.  He wants to push the murderer to make a move.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, bedifferent said:
  • Lee Geum Hwa died within the last 8-9 months.  Her shoes were spotless so most likely they were given as gifts on the night of her murder.  She couldn't have ran into the woods, her body was buried there.  The phone obviously was planted recently.  I feel that the murderer didn't cut off fingerprints because she has no family in SK.  
  • The other illegal immigrants also didn't have their fingers cut off since there is no need to ID his victim.  They were buried with fingers interlinked in praying positions, expressing remorse of their actions perhaps.  Or maybe because they have no family in SK, the fingers were an expression of grief.

If you look closely, Lee Geum Hwa fingertips were mutilated too. Lee Dong Shik first thought it was Yu Yeon's when he saw the skeleton, the same as Han Ju Won before he saw the ring. That is the defining MO that link Yu Yeon case with Bang Ju Seon's and the rest of the victims. The body form of the victim is the signature of the murderer where the victims were found in the same form as Bang Ju Seon which I assume interlinked fingers without fingertips and their legs being tied based on the picture shown when Han Ju Won was presenting the case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

@kdramagrandmaI went back to check out the fingers, so hard to catch in the dark, they are mutilated but not chopped off? 

The fingers "fetish" if I can call it that at this point made me suspect JinMook is involved in some degrees just cuz

1) We saw him handled DS' mom's hands gently, wiping her fingertips in the nursing home.

2) DS circling back to talk to JinMook telling him to eat well and take his medication. What medication? Why is he taking medications?

3) DS keeps saying sorry to Min Jung.  At the restaurant the night of her murder, he nervously glanced at JinMook as he prepares food in the kitchen.  I need for him to show the same trauma for his twin sister.

4) DS feels indebted to his adopted brother who takes care of his mother.  Is he protecting JinMook's welfare from the killer or protecting JinMook the killer?

5) The police was willing to scapegoat DS 20 years ago so they can cover up Yu Yeon and BJS's deaths.  Why DS though and not someone else?  Is it because they can control the narrative with Jung Je's alibi confessions?

6) What is the fascination with deer for Jung Je?  What does it symbolize? Why is he drawing deer in police uniform and then said it resembles Joo Won?

I also wonder what the title means.  What is worse than evil?  What is Beyond Evil? 

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

7 hours ago, bedifferent said:

What is worse than evil?  What is Beyond Evil? 

Evil is evil. It is as simple as that. What is worse that evil? Evil disguised as good. The former is at least honest, the latter is deceptive.

Suddenly feels like I've reached enlightenment. Enter angelic music in the background...:lol:

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

The days almost over on my part of the planet and there's  still no subbs. Soon, soon I'm sure.

This is one of those dramas I get fatigued just trying to figure out who the bad guys are and why. So, it doesn't matter if I watch the subbed version or not. If I had never watched the other episodes this is what I got from watching todays' raw version.

Don't know peoples names

It seems the good looking lieutenant's dad plot thickens. He is talking to a couple that seem to be up to no good. The lady of the couple is probably related the the seasoned main lead cop(freaky eyes) in his younger years. He has a flash back about her. Can't tell what about till the subbs come out. Good looking lieutenant seems more suspicious of the other cop who is in charge of document/files. He's been watching his every move. The young tall cop didn't get to talk to that girl that went missing because someone else showed up. I don't know what's going on with her dad, the man with glasses. Maybe he got a phone call that made him take a stand on something he would normally be unwilling to do. Dong sik gets upset at him. Oh , yes. At the beginning of the episode Dong sik shows the new lietenant something about his dad that upsets him. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

3 minutes ago, l0ul0u said:

Hello.. first time here. I want to ask where can I watch this series. I got Viki and Netflix.. or is it on other sites?

I was asking the same question as it was not available on Netflix and finally found it on VIU. Not sure if you have that in your country. 

The first 4 episodes are good and I finally found a drama that I wanted to watch. The last drama that I watch is Crash Landing on You. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

7 hours ago, charray said:

I was asking the same question as it was not available on Netflix and finally found it on VIU. Not sure if you have that in your country. 

The first 4 episodes are good and I finally found a drama that I wanted to watch. The last drama that I watch is Crash Landing on You. 

Thank you for answering.. I downloaded the app but just to find out it’s not yet available here in the US.  Now, I guess I have to wait awhile before I could watch it. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, l0ul0u said:

Thank you for answering.. I downloaded the app but just to find out it’s not yet available here in the US.  Now, I guess I have to wait awhile before I could watch it. 

If you are in the US, it is available on ODK (on demand Korea)   https://www.ondemandkorea.com/beyond-evil-e05.html 

Sometimes, it takes a while before the subbs are done. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 1