[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Stand By Me aka Dream of Chang'an 与君歌

sugarplum892

4 hours ago, bomnie said:

The drama just aired today! 

Will definitely tune in for more! By the way, does anyone know about the airing schedule of this drama?

@bomnie glad you enjoyed the first few episodes, ends on Aug 31, but if you want details, here's the schedule.

airing-schedule.jpg

Credit: Mydramalist

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hi everybody.  I watched eps 1 and 2 yesterday.  Let me give my First Impressions.

Ep 1 is very fast, exciting and absorbing. I'm immediately enamoured.  Ep 2 slows down a bit because it has to unravel the story.  This is what I call "a good drama".

Cheng Yi is very impressive in his actings.  I know in this plot he has difficulties which he cannot simply confide to anyone.  But he is impressive pretending to be a "cold, arrogant & ruthless man".  A man who silently carries the whole weight of the Kingdom on his shoulders.  A righteous man who is misunderstood by everyone to be a Royal Traitor. Because he is under the control of his "God-Pa" - the Powerful Eunuch.

I normally give up on a drama if it cannot capture my attention within a few minutes.  At times, if I like the actor or actress, I'll give it a few more eps before I give up.  I've given up on every drama since "The Rebel".  None capture my attention.

I don't like the Female Lead (Chang Yu Xi) here though. I would prefer someone else. (That is for me. Others might think otherwise). For me, I find that :

1) Her makeup is very Thick. You can see the Face is whiter than the Neck

2) Her Character-Role is a very young, kind but naughty and mischievous girl.  

3) She tries to act "Cute".  But in my opinions, ended up "Irritating".

4) I can see she is only "acting".  She is not "Immersive" As a result, I don't enjoy when she is around. 

5) IMO, she "Overacts". Tries too hard

Once again, these are only my opinions.  You all may have different opinions.

I like her sister (is it Lulu Xuan?) though.  The Eunuch's God-daughter. Her acting is very well-controlled: no overacting, very natural and likable.

I hope it maintains it's Pace in the coming eps

• Like 2

@bomnie  I had to give up this drama again.:(

Ep 3 is still ok.  But by ep 4, I just cannot tolerate CYX anymore.  I don't like her acting and the dubbed voice. And there is no chemistry btn both leads.  Their interactions are supposed to be the "sparks" of this drama.  But it is not working.

Cheng Yi is good.  But if the other half is not, the Tango cannot proceed.

Bye

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hush puppy said:

@bomnie  I had to give up this drama again.:(

Ep 3 is still ok.  But by ep 4, I just cannot tolerate CYX anymore.  I don't like her acting and the dubbed voice. And there is no chemistry btn both leads.  Their interactions are supposed to be the "sparks" of this drama.  But it is not working.

Cheng Yi is good.  But if the other half is not, the Tango cannot proceed.

Bye

Sad, but insightful to hear that! 

I also need to watch a few more episodes to see if I commit to this drama or not haha 

See you in another thread soon!

I watched the first 2 episodes and I rate the production value at around 5.5 to 6.0/10

mostly because the main female character  is suppose to be nearly the best bodyguard around but the actress have a really petite skinny frame which doesn't fit the "strong bodyguard" image

her first fight scene of the competition with drum beats background music was bad , didn't convince me that she is "top fighter"

the smart&weak king + impulsive fighter female buddy duo bringing down throne usurper is similar plot to 龙珠传奇2017

although in this show , the king is good fighter himself but doesn't fight personally (yet?) , to act submissive to the eunuch

will continue watching as there aren't any other options around , most drama these 2 months are modern drama

from the batch of supporting actor and actress I assume it's the same production company that did 听雪楼 and 琉璃 , I enjoyed these 2 shows

So what do  you guys think of this drama? I just started and I found epi 1 quite good. 

I am not a fan of both actors...but I thought the guy did so well in Love and Redemption. 

The female lead was ok there...I hope she does better here. 

I think I am quite enjoy the drama..I am in 12 episode now..I like the palace drama and Wuxia drama..and I really enjoy when one drama depicts both of them
Well, it is quite pity that ZYX could not nail the character..its is quite challenging character, because if the actress couldn't nail it, the suppose to be cute character becoming irritating. One of this kind character that success is ZLS in Tiger and Rose hehehe....This character is a type of character that should get developed as the drama flow..Silly in the beginning but mature in the end..
 I hope that the writing will be better in latter episode... 

For ML, I am happy with CY acting..he plays the character quite well..However, actually I hope that the writer give more complexity in his character..and I hope that his puzzled mind get longer time..but the writer choose to disclose the real him sooner by using the comment from the FL.
As many other viewer, I also very enjoy the acting of second FL (QYZ) and actually I also like this type of character.. The one that smart and has "controlled"  manner, but also "cunning"...
But as my experience of drama watching, this type of character mostly lost if she head to head with silly but sweet character..so I in order to protect my soft heart, I will ship the ML and FL..:)..The emperor is already dizzy with Nation matter so he will needs caring and a lot of smile from his wife, not the tense gaze or calculated conversation wkwkwkw... 
Even the romance is not make my heart pounding hard, but I think their romance is quite watchable..  Moreover, I couldn't resist the puppy looks from CY and his long hair make me swoon...

• Like 2

• SC2019 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Stand By Me aka Dream of Chang'an 梦醒长安
On 8/19/2021 at 8:20 PM, realistic2280a said:

Am at ep3... did the emperor really kill the little girl at the end of the episode flashback, did he ordered the killing of the entire family? Is he really that cruel?...hmm... 

There's a reason as to why he had to do it. You will see in later episodes. I think for this drama, you need to suspend your judgement. Anything you see at first doesn't quite turn out to be what it is later on.

10 hours ago, SC2019 said:

There's a reason as to why he had to do it. You will see in later episodes. I think for this drama, you need to suspense your judgement. Anything you see at first doesn't quite turn out to be what it is later on.

Hi.. yes, now i see it... :D

Ive been watching the episodes diligently until the subs went crazy at ep9 and 10.. then i started to read from recap site (terrible English recap) which i couldnt figure out 100% whats happening and decided to watch again by ep16...

I  havent finish ep 20, had to stop as it was nearly 1.30am, ... since im a person who like romance, i find the emperor and Yuer's romace being too slow. They havent even properly kissed except the time when Yuer fell on him accidently. Does that count as a kiss?

Im curious if it is the actors having difficulty to kiss or its the plot that make it such. I mean, the emperor have stabbed himself to get Yuer treated and yes, i do know that he protected her so he doesnt want his enemies to know of his weakness for her, hence he tries to act indifferent... but its nearly 20 episodes already...we should more then just hugs right...

Both leads look good and are new to me... havent seen them in other dramas before... understanding that its gonna be 49 episodes long, i do wish there is someone who can recap simple milestones in each episodes, esp when it comes to leads' relationship... i have read in mydramalist the comments on  recent episodes 23/24 and several have said that they are taking a break from watching it..

I hope the drama will end well and disappoint fans...1 billion viewers is a good achievement:D for the drama

4 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

I  havent finish ep 20, had to stop as it was nearly 1.30am, ... since im a person who like romance, i find the emperor and Yuer's romace being too slow. They havent even properly kissed except the time when Yuer fell on him accidently. Does that count as a kiss?

Im curious if it is the actors having difficulty to kiss or its the plot that make it such. I mean, the emperor have stabbed himself to get Yuer treated and yes, i do know that he protected her so he doesnt want his enemies to know of his weakness for her, hence he tries to act indifferent... but its nearly 20 episodes already...we should more then just hugs right...

It's a long ride, but the good thing is if you have VIP, you get to watch 2 episodes every night (well almost, except for last friday and saturday) on WeTV, the international version for Tencent.

This is not an idol drama, where the court intrigue is secondary and the romance takes centre-stage. This is the other way round, at least that's how I see it. It's not quite as serious as Nirvana on Fire but not as flippant as idol dramas, somewhere in between. So, if you are in it purely for the romance, I think you need to manage your expectations. The romance, and affection they have for each other is restrained and subtle, after all he is the Emperor who has very few allies/ supporters and is fighting to rejuvenate the country (unlike some dramas where the ML doesn't seem to do much or need to work). 

Spoiler

In a later episode, they almost kiss, and the feeling you get is like two teenagers, shyly glancing at each other when their near-kiss is thwarted by someone (I won't spoil it for you as to who it was). I don't think they have difficulty kissing, I think it's just the plot.

If you watch either the opening/ closing trailer, he will definitely marry Yan Zhi as the Empress and our FL will go incognito under a mask (I suspect) while she quietly supports him from the shadows. That will most likely be one of the angsty elements. Not sure as to what is the context of the video in this forum (earlier posts) showing our ML crawling from his bed towards the Eunuch who serves him, I suppose that will be another angsty part.

We only have up till E24 now, a flood of episodes will be released this coming Wednesday and the ending will be on 1 September for those with VIP. So I guess you can tune in later again when things start to turn in favour for the ML and FL, typically by the earlier part of E40? (my guess)

7 hours ago, SC2019 said:

It's a long ride, but the good thing is if you have VIP, you get to watch 2 episodes every night (well almost, except for last friday and saturday) on WeTV, the international version for Tencent.

This is not an idol drama, where the court intrigue is secondary and the romance takes centre-stage. This is the other way round, at least that's how I see it. It's not quite as serious as Nirvana on Fire but not as flippant as idol dramas, somewhere in between. So, if you are in it purely for the romance, I think you need to manage your expectations. The romance, and affection they have for each other is restrained and subtle, after all he is the Emperor who has very few allies/ supporters and is fighting to rejuvenate the country (unlike some dramas where the ML doesn't seem to do much or need to work). 

Hide contents

In a later episode, they almost kiss, and the feeling you get is like two teenagers, shyly glancing at each other when their near-kiss is thwarted by someone (I won't spoil it for you as to who it was). I don't think they have difficulty kissing, I think it's just the plot.

If you watch either the opening/ closing trailer, he will definitely marry Yan Zhi as the Empress and our FL will go incognito under a mask (I suspect) while she quietly supports him from the shadows. That will most likely be one of the angsty elements. Not sure as to what is the context of the video in this forum (earlier posts) showing our ML crawling from his bed towards the Eunuch who serves him, I suppose that will be another angsty part.

We only have up till E24 now, a flood of episodes will be released this coming Wednesday and the ending will be on 1 September for those with VIP. So I guess you can tune in later again when things start to turn in favour for the ML and FL, typically by the earlier part of E40? (my guess)

Haha.. yes, i did think i should switch to Yang Yang's drama.. i do like period drama with politics but in this case, sorry to say RY didnt really convince me the the can be the Emperor's bodyguard as he is far stronger than her... 

I havent seen the actor who acted as the Emperor before and i thought his restrained mannerism looks good for the drama...and he is goodlooking.. found out that he is a mature actor, therefore, kissing scenesshouldnt be a problem..... on all political front, he look serious and smart, but i just wish that on the romance side, he can be less restraint.. at least the admitted to himself that he likes her at the end of ep.20.

One more week for the ending..  sounds good :D

Off to watching The Devil Judge ep15xx:)

13 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

Haha.. yes, i did think i should switch to Yang Yang's drama.. i do like period drama with politics but in this case, sorry to say RY didnt really convince me the the can be the Emperor's bodyguard as he is far stronger than her... 

Actually I believe quite a few people have been commenting about how scrawny she is and how unbelievable this actress is as a bodyguard. And when we look at the title change, it's no longer Dream of Chang An' but Stand By Me. So, I think on the surface she is his bodyguard but in actuality she is the one person in the entire cesspool of snakes and bootlickers who will Stand By Him, who will believe in him, who thinks he is a good person. In the very least when people all around him whom he first trusted are betraying his trust, he can count on her. (well up until E24, sigh, but luckily she put that situation to rest). And to him, who has been scorned for the things he did, he needs that one person to stand by him.

Happy watching Yang Yang and Devil Judge!

@SC2019... haha.. thanks thanks...

Saw ending of Devil Judge.. could have been better i guess, the drama...

as for Yang Yang's... saw 1st episode... not too bad... though i get confused with the game stuff. (My fav china drama is Love 020 despite how stiff YY was then but it was the first China drama i saw and liked a few years ago, haha)

Surprised to read that the drama had 4 BILLION watchers after just 5 hours of showing. Amazing.

3 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

@SC2019... haha.. thanks thanks...

Saw ending of Devil Judge.. could have been better i guess, the drama...

as for Yang Yang's... saw 1st episode... not too bad... though i get confused with the game stuff. (My fav china drama is Love 020 despite how stiff YY was then but it was the first China drama i saw and liked a few years ago, haha)

Surprised to read that the drama had 4 BILLION watchers after just 5 hours of showing. Amazing.

I think that source shows the wrong number, it's 500 millions views after 3 days (12 episodes), it's a quite impressive number but cannot compare with 4 billions lol.

3 hours ago, Skellig said:

I think that source shows the wrong number, it's 500 millions views after 3 days (12 episodes), it's a quite impressive number but cannot compare with 4 billions lol.

Right?... hahha.. im not sure why people would fake the numbers... ive heard good things about the drama and was overly impressed when it was mentioned the 4 billion mark.. thats like half of the world is watching it.. 

Have you watched the latest episodes of Stand By Me? Are there more skinships between the leads from ep 20 onwards? Haha... i just crave for something, though i did read somewhere towards the end of 20s ep, there is going to be a kiss! Finally? :D

4 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

Have you watched the latest episodes of Stand By Me? Are there more skinships between the leads from ep 20 onwards? Haha... i just crave for something, though i did read somewhere towards the end of 20s ep, there is going to be a kiss! Finally? :D

Yes, see spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Capture748a791f738f835f.jpg

Credit: MangoTV

This is preview of E30. So, yes, finally there is a kiss. Though I dunno if there was one in E29. But I reckon this scene rewards viewers who have been patiently waiting for this to happen. And in E29, because our FL is badly injured, the ML tends to her gentlely - it's extremely pleasing to the eye.

9 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

Right?... hahha.. im not sure why people would fake the numbers... ive heard good things about the drama and was overly impressed when it was mentioned the 4 billion mark.. thats like half of the world is watching it.. 

Not sure, maybe a mistaken. The views number of that drama is around 3,3 billions now (for all episodes since it's completed), their fans are hoping it would break 4 billions. It sounds like kinda half of the world is watching it, but it's not the case, it has around 100 millions views each episode so you could say there are around 100 millions people are watching it. China likes to use views number to show the popularity and there are a lot of dramas have billions views, if you look into it you will be quite surprise. And I don't say these numbers are fake, but you cannot sure about its accuracy =)). For your information, Stand by me has more than 1 billions views for now too.

I haven't watched the lastest episode, just saw a few videos cut but yeah, it has a bit more skinships later and even has a kiss in latest ep if I don't mistake.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1