[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Stand By Me aka Dream of Chang'an 与君歌

sugarplum892

On 8/29/2021 at 12:24 PM, SC2019 said:

I've watched till 44, and my comment is that in an ideal world, he should marry both sisters, one with brain and one with so-called brawn. If we look at the relationship between Yan Zhi and Qi Yan, because they are both very brainy, their relationship is more at par, to me they are equals. But with Ruo Yu and Qi Yan, it's clear that it's like a parent-child relationship, he commands her to do things, he tells her what to do, she begs him not to at times, and at other times she obeys the commands. We know that this is partially because she 'reports' to him as his Sword Bearer so she is sworn to obey him whereas Yan Zhi does not (technically they all do because he is the Emperor) but when Yan Zhi talks to Qi Yan, it's truly as an equal 'partner'. I somewhat find that parent-child relationship (btwn CRY and QY) a little unsettling; as lovers, having that kind of relationship, even if she's alright with it, rubs me wrong somehow. 

Ah, so YanZhi did get married to the emperor...  such is political drama... and yes, i do agree to some extent that Yanzhi has always been stronger and smarter than RY and as sword bearer, sigh... it wasnt that impressive with her small body. Yanzhi probably fit the role more... 

Ive finish ep 35, and usual waiting for the subs...sounds like the journey to ep44 is not that impressive?...  

While waiting for the subs, i was watching Our Secret or Secret of the Lettice? Recommended by cyn-lynn.blogspot (great place to read recaps, she knows English for one, hehe) ...  i thought it wasnt not bad, though slow... still waiting for last 6 episodes subs.. awhen i see the male lead, i cant help but think QiYan... they could play brothers or even Cheng Yi's younger self in other dramas, ha..

@realistic2280a yes, by the time it hits E43-44

Spoiler

QZL forces Yan Zhi to marry Qi Yan. Yan Zhi's identity/cover has been blown and the same goes for Thirteen, i.e. Prince Guang Wang. The both of them are put to the test by QZL in a death-defying moment and they both pass and win his approval to live on, but do as he bids them to.

There are scenes leading up to the subtle hint that the Prince sees Yan Zhi as more than an ally, and that death-defying moment is one of it. There are some romantic notions there but it's extremely subtle and communicated from the POV of Yan Zhi's right-hand man. Yan Zhi doesn't quite refute it when the bodyguard aka right-hand man mentions it (the guy is jealous and kinda spills his gut to her), though I think she's not quite sure herself. After all, she does not have the luxury of entertaining the notion, she's after revenge and will do what it takes to get it.

So, yes Yan Zhi marries and shares a chamber, though not the bed with Qi Yan but it's very officious, there's obviously nothing physical going on. Though Yan Zhi tells him flat that she's supposed to beget his child but Qi Yan refuses, of course. He claims he is in no physical condition to indulge in bed sport.

There's a scene where CRY tries to assassinate Yan Zhi but you can tell it's a very poor attempt as the blade just nicks her a little on the neck, enough to leave a scar but nothing else. QZL is in cahoots with Cheng Xi and asked her to cause a rift between CRY and Yan Zhi (another one of those mind games they so enjoy). So, Cheng Xi dies at the hands of Yan Zhi's bodyguard (it's an accident, that woman shoves herself into the blade pointed at her and of course conveniently CRY is not watching). But when she turns around, she sees the blade sticking out of Cheng Xi's body and thinks that Yan Zhi ordered her assassination. In fury (of course she doesn't take time to think, typical of CRY), she rushes into the palace and confronts Yan Zhi about this. Saying that Yan Zhi has been plotting everything, and making use of her like a chess piece. Of course Yan Zhi denies ordering Cheng Xi to be killed, and is crestfallen that her younger sister doesn't trust her. Eventually, Qi Yan convinces CRY to leave, she asks him why she can't 'touch' Yan Zhi but she doesn't get anything out of him, other than that he will investigate and reveal the truth to her later. But at that point, he already has surmised that Yan Zhi is her sister but he doesn't tell her.

Qi Yan takes the opportunity to pressure Yan Zhi to admit that she's CRY's eldest sister (he tried it beforehand by exposing Yan Zhi to cat fur, to which she is allergic) and eventually she breaks down after the assassination attempt and admits it. Though, she gets him to promise never to reveal to CRY the truth. To her, she has dishonoured the Wang family name, by having blood on her hands, colluding with QZL and she would rather CRY never know who she is. Best CRY believes her to be dead. Qi Yan agrees to cover up for her, more likely as he doesn't want CRY to be upset. [but it's at this point where I question myself how much of that attempt by CRY at Yan Zhi is real and how much of it is a plot between her and Qi Yan. So, this is one of those moments where I start to question what's real and what's not.]

• Blob 1

This drama is dragging things for me. 

To think I was so enthusiastic about it from the start. 

It was interesting up to episode 30ish but then things got repetitive.

Not to mention the noble idiocy.

I think I will wait for it to end before I finish watching.

On 8/31/2021 at 4:10 PM, realistic2280a said:

@SC2019.... sigh.. why cover it up... dramas, always make things complicated... 

This makes me un interested to watch the rest. Maybe will just skip to ep40 and see the last 9 ...or even the last 2...

Unless someone tells me singnificant plots in between our two leads in those episodes :D

I ffed to watch the ending as it was released last night. I was curious if my prediction about the ending is true.

Spoiler

It's the sort of ending where the audience gets to decide whether it's a HE or not. There are tell-tale signs and clues but if you dislike the ambiguity, then the ending will be unsatisfying. And if you are a skeptic, then you will believe that Qi Yan died. full stop.

For me, I chose to see it as a HE, but I needed a little more closure than what they were willing to show us. 

If you want to know what happened, read on.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Qi Yan decrees that he is passing the throne to the Uncle, he lies on his Uncles' shoulders and breathes his last. That's the last scene in the palace. His supposed dying scene.

(At that point, he has sent CRY out of the palace, his reason is that she must savour the sights and sounds of the world on his behalf, it's something he has dearly wanted but could not achieve. He has sent Han Ding to accompany her on her travels.)

We see Han Ding and CRY rushing on horseback, probably, to catch Qi Yan before he breathes his last. But the bells toll, announcing his death. Han Ding gets down from the horse to bow towards the direction of the palace, but she does not, she sits atop the horse, turns in the opposite direction and leaves the City. [You might question that Han Ding, being the confidante to Qi Yan surely must have known he faked his death, so why was he bowing. To me, that's a ploy to trick the audience, and it could have been interpreted as his final respect to a man with who he once fought side by side with, in the capacity of Emperor. And if Qi Yan had really died, she would have rushed to the palace, why did she rush out of the City?]

Then the next scene shows the uncle ascending the throne, the appointment of the Violet Bureau lady who can't talk as the new Sword Bearer, AND finally, CRY running a restaurant. [So at this point, you must be wondering if Qi Yan is dead, must they show her? Could they not have ended with the uncle ascending the throne?]

At the restaurant, she's really bright and chirpy, rushing around to serve customers food, settling the bill, etc. There are two customers talking and she overhears their conversation - it's about the state of affairs in the country, at peace and prospering now.

We hear her thoughts "Did you hear that, what you want is finally realised?". Her face is wistful. [at this point, there may be a question whether she is talking to the dead or to someone alive who may have possibly heard it.]

Then, she looks up and sees someone coming towards her (we don't get to see who it is). At first, her face has no expression, then the look of surprise dawns on her face, and finally it turns into a huge joyous smile.
So interpret it as you may from that ending. :P  [who might she smile like that for?]

5 hours ago, SC2019 said:

I ffed to watch the ending as it was released last night. I was curious if my prediction about the ending is true.

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

It's the sort of ending where the audience gets to decide whether it's a HE or not. There are tell-tale signs and clues but if you dislike the ambiguity, then the ending will be unsatisfying. And if you are a skeptic, then you will believe that Qi Yan died. full stop.

For me, I chose to see it as a HE, but I needed a little more closure than what they were willing to show us. 

If you want to know what happened, read on.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Qi Yan decrees that he is passing the throne to the Uncle, he lies on his Uncles' shoulders and breathes his last. That's the last scene in the palace. His supposed dying scene.

(At that point, he has sent CRY out of the palace, his reason is that she must savour the sights and sounds of the world on his behalf, it's something he has dearly wanted but could not achieve. He has sent Han Ding to accompany her on her travels.)

We see Han Ding and CRY rushing on horseback, probably, to catch Qi Yan before he breathes his last. But the bells toll, announcing his death. Han Ding gets down from the horse to bow towards the direction of the palace, but she does not, she sits atop the horse, turns in the opposite direction and leaves the City. [You might question that Han Ding, being the confidante to Qi Yan surely must have known he faked his death, so why was he bowing. To me, that's a ploy to trick the audience, and it could have been interpreted as his final respect to a man with who he once fought side by side with, in the capacity of Emperor. And if Qi Yan had really died, she would have rushed to the palace, why did she rush out of the City?]

Then the next scene shows the uncle ascending the throne, the appointment of the Violet Bureau lady who can't talk as the new Sword Bearer, AND finally, CRY running a restaurant. [So at this point, you must be wondering if Qi Yan is dead, must they show her? Could they not have ended with the uncle ascending the throne?]

At the restaurant, she's really bright and chirpy, rushing around to serve customers food, settling the bill, etc. There are two customers talking and she overhears their conversation - it's about the state of affairs in the country, at peace and prospering now.

We hear her thoughts "Did you hear that, what you want is finally realised?". Her face is wistful. [at this point, there may be a question whether she is talking to the dead or to someone alive who may have possibly heard it.]

Then, she looks up and sees someone coming towards her (we don't get to see who it is). At first, her face has no expression, then the look of surprise dawns on her face, and finally it turns into a huge joyous smile.
So interpret it as you may from that ending. :P  [who might she smile like that for?]

Haha... @SC2019... thanks for the peek at the ending :wub: , love the way you write and explaining it - informative :D

Sigh... not so satisfiying ending from the sound of it... in between 45 to 49 episode, how was Qi Yan's health? ... was it made to sound as if he could survive? 

I would assumed that Qiyan meant RY to roam the world and not really  be at the restaurant... not something they dream of together, right? Opening the restaurant? Sigh...

Yes, im not sure i will see the rest since it has ended like that...

Yesterday, i binged watch Crush, 24 episodes managable length, not so complicated drama (reviewed by the blooger i mentioned earlier) in 3 days ... bonus being, all subs were available...  kisses not so good but at least was early as ep8 or earlier :D and it ended happily... im off to find if there is a thread on soompi on the drama..

After watching a few episodes of You're My Glory, ... it doesnt really compel me to watch it as fast as i could, instead i keep looking for other dramas which doesnt have the hype but still is good to watch (like Crush:D), short and all subs ready. Haha...

Again, thank you so much for sharing the ending scene with me/us in this thread... it was tiring to wait for the subs and with some expectations of the romance  which were not met, the male lead keep coughing  blood,  it doesnt look its gonna be a happy ending drama. Sigh... 

i hope to see you in other drama threads  ya

@ElleSor...are you skipping the ending too? Haha

15 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

Haha... @SC2019... thanks for the peek at the ending :wub: , love the way you write and explaining it - informative :D

@ElleSor...are you skipping the ending too? Haha

I'm still going to watch the ending. Hahaha!

I already watched up to 40. I'm just not watching until everything is subbed and ready for a marathon watch. 

@realistic2280a do you know in E45, he stabbed himself again, so-call to save CRY. Though I think it was all a ploy as well to show that he was weak and all, and that was the only way he could defeat/defy QZL. I have not watched everything yet, tbh I watched 45, then ffed to 49 second half. I think for this drama right, you have to get used to seeing CY (the actor) being sick and deathly very often. Someone on another forum made a comment, either he is a masochist or he ends up working with directors who are masochists. And he always stabs himself in the same location, presumabiy because that's where the heart is located, and if you want to threaten someone with your own life, you would stab yourself where it would be most life-threatening. :dead:

Actually, I think it depends if you are the sort who sees the glass half full or half empty? if you are more optimistic, you would say it's a HE but if you aren't, then you would say it's a BE. For me, it's a HE, but a very unsatisfying one.

See you when The South Wind starts to blow (I want to see how sickly CY is gonna be there, LOL).:approves:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SC2019 said:

@realistic2280a do you know in E45, he stabbed himself again, so-call to save CRY.

See you when The South Wind starts to blow (I want to see how sickly CY is gonna be there, LOL).:approves:

What the... stabs himself again??? Crazy... haha... the drama sounds so depressing, he is hopeless until near the very end, sighhhhhh..... i just wanna know how that evil man dies and it took 49 episodes to do it i guess, hahhaa..

What! Another depressing modern drama? I thought it sounded better when i read the sypnosis. 2nd chance at love is my kinda drama... i hope its not as bad as you say... omg.. now i cant help but wonder if i should even watch that, or wait for u to let me know the ending, then i will watch it.. haha

8 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

What the... stabs himself again??? Crazy... haha... the drama sounds so depressing, he is hopeless until near the very end, sighhhhhh..... i just wanna know how that evil man dies and it took 49 episodes to do it i guess, hahhaa..

What! Another depressing modern drama? I thought it sounded better when i read the sypnosis. 2nd chance at love is my kinda drama... i hope its not as bad as you say... omg.. now i cant help but wonder if i should even watch that, or wait for u to let me know the ending, then i will watch it.. haha

Erh, the way he died, ok-lah. Teamwork? If I had to summarise it in one word? 

Btw, I think this blogger wrote and summarised CRY's role in the drama very well, do read it when you have time.

I think this modern one, it won't be so unsatisfying the ending, fingers crossed. But yes, he is involved in a car crash, seriously injured, btw, someone read the Chinese novel and says the ML's character played by CY reminds her/him of Qi Yan. Do watch though, so we can watch it together!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SC2019 said:

Erh, the way he died, ok-lah. Teamwork? If I had to summarise it in one word? 

Btw, I think this blogger wrote and summarised CRY's role in the drama very well, do read it when you have time.

I think this modern one, it won't be so unsatisfying the ending, fingers crossed. But yes, he is involved in a car crash, seriously injured, btw, someone read the Chinese novel and says the ML's character played by CY reminds her/him of Qi Yan. Do watch though, so we can watch it together!

Thanks @SC2019... will have a look at that blogger; have come across her write up before i think...  so many dramas, so little time :lol:

As long as they end happily and give proper kisses in the drama, im game! :D

Maybe CY need Bai Lu to teach him how to kiss, get the korean drama tapes ready CY!

1 hour ago, realistic2280a said:

Mom watching an episode where the emperor refuses to acknowledge ling ling as Yu'er....

Mom: Why is the girl so silly... why she doesnt know the emperor is trying to protect her??...

Me: *silently* hehehehe... 

lol, she's a very straightforward person, subterfuge loses her. Also, she's a more active person, trained to use her brawn more than her brains.

8 hours ago, SC2019 said:

lol, she's a very straightforward person, subterfuge loses her. Also, she's a more active person, trained to use her brawn more than her brains.

Sigh...hence a dangerous person to the emperor..

Im not wacthing it after knowing the ending... but my mom is following it on tv when its aired... lol... :D and ocassionally i would just sit for a few minutes to see it and leave..B)

On 9/8/2021 at 10:59 PM, realistic2280a said:

Sigh...hence a dangerous person to the emperor..

Im not wacthing it after knowing the ending... but my mom is following it on tv when its aired... lol... :D and ocassionally i would just sit for a few minutes to see it and leave..B)

Oh my! So it's really a sad ending?

Ok, so I'm not ever finishing this.

I have a phobia for sad endings.

24 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

I believe it is.. based on the reviews made by fans in mydramalist...

Ah, sad. Anyway, I've had my fill of sad dramas at the moment. So maybe I'm shelving this indefinitely.

I had planned to go back and finish when all the subbing is done and the series is actually over.

1 hour ago, ElleSor said:

Ah, sad. Anyway, I've had my fill of sad dramas at the moment. So maybe I'm shelving this indefinitely.

I had planned to go back and finish when all the subbing is done and the series is actually over.

It is over... and the subs are done... the ones i know anyway

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ElleSor said:

How was the ending?

Spoiler

ML passed away. His uncle became Emperor. FL made a new life for herself running a restaurant.

On 9/3/2021 at 12:01 AM, realistic2280a said:

I think South Wind should be happy ending.

• LOL 1