[Drama 2020-2021] A Man in a Veil, 비밀의 남자

0ly40

19 hours ago, brooksmom said:

After posting a comment regarding Brilliant Heritage and Man in a Veil, I noticed that the male lead  no longer has a 7 yr old mentality. I was one of the ones that said, I'll come back when he gets he gets his mind back. His heart is still a softie. But vengeance burns in his eyes. Now I have to back track some. 

I was holding out until he is mine changed is well. I may be a hard butt sometimes but I have a super vulnerable heart to people who are mentally and physically challenged

19 hours ago, brooksmom said:

After posting a comment regarding Brilliant Heritage and Man in a Veil, I noticed that the male lead  no longer has a 7 yr old mentality. I was one of the ones that said, I'll come back when he gets he gets his mind back. His heart is still a softie. But vengeance burns in his eyes. Now I have to back track some. 

I was holding out until his mind mentally changed as well. I may be a hard butt sometimes but I have a super vulnerable heart to people who are mentally and physically challenged

• Like 4

I'm irked.

Ok. I can buy that TP & YR's marriage was never celebrated or registered. I can buy that the birth of Min Ho /Dong Ho was never registered officially. What I am having a hard time swallowing is the premise that TP/MH still buys into the idea that he is the boy's biological father. He's this crack prosecutor with a memory like a steel trap, but he uhh...doesn't know how babies are made? Seriously? That part of him is still 7 years old and believes that babies are found in a cabbage patch/delivered by storks/insert your own myth here. Now he thinks his son is deceased. Geez! Where is Director Choi, the real baby daddy? I know he gave up on his child because he couldn't stand to watch his child live in poverty, but what's he been doing for 5 years while YR went overseas? Will YJ feel betrayed that she is raising her nephew who is not fathered by the guy she loves? What will TP/MH do when he gets a "for real" DNA test and finds out this boy he loves is not technically his?

I wonder if the writer wants to show that love trumps biology--depending on what other birth secrets are still in the works, this could get really complicated. 

And yes, YJ rejecting TP/MH only to turn around, find and raise the little boy is maddening. YJ needs a spinal transplant to stand up to her mom, that jerk ahjumma who hassled the boy at school, and for general principles. I'm not enamored of wimpy female lead characters.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, shamrockmom said:

Will YJ feel betrayed that she is raising her nephew who is not fathered by the guy she loves? What will TP/MH do when he gets a "for real" DNA test and finds out this boy he loves is not technically his?

I strongly believe that both TP and YJ will raise the child as their own in the end, even after learning the truth. In Fatal Promise, the FL didn't mind that Eunchan was her enemy's son. So I guess that TP will still love Minhu despite the truth.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

am just wondering how the writer will make TP and YJ reconcile.

But of course in most revenge drama the couple is united in episode 100 lol.

I don't want them to reconcile. :cry: She is an idiot with over the top acting. See that exaggerated oh-so-happy look greeting the kid back from school. Do mothers do that? Especially a harried one, working in a bakery, being on her feet all day.

@Lmangla we need another survey or rather a way to vent our annoyance with the FL. Weak, idiot, strange, over acting, fickle, pliable etc. and we should be nice too loyal, sensitive, endures dead end jobs etc.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

What I am having a hard time swallowing is the premise that TP/MH still buys into the idea that he is the boy's biological father.

I bet he believes Santa clues & tooth fairy is real too:tounge_wink:

ezgif-7-e62da97171fc.gif

** the man who take the birds and the bees metaphor literally:D
ezgif-7-c7e17301261a.gif

• Like 7
  • LOL 4

I am guessing YR did force herself on TP when she was already pregnant. They did not just share a bed. For that reason TP thought he was the birth father. Maybe we will have a scene which shows TP at the boy's birthday doing some calculations. What? he was born 3 months premature??? :open_mouth: But he was awfully big. :surprisedwut:

• Like 2
  • Naughty 2
  • LOL 3

@maribella I think YR was 2 months pregnant and gave birth after 9 months, and she pretended that the baby was born after 7 months ( when it was 9 months). It's convincing because some babies are born after 7 months only. But the question is how did they believe her when the pregnancy was shown on her earlier than expected (after 3 months,  when it was actually 5 months)? 

:tounge_wink:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

LoL so while watching episode 22 I fell asleep in the middle only to catch the ending. Thus the next day I thought that I had already watched it and started the next episode only to realize my mistake. Though I have finally managed to catch up with all the episode’s even those that I was watching from the middle and whatnot. Thus I want to thank @UnniSarah or bringing up the credit card scene that I had missed back then. Am sure that I might still tend to forget other things and all so a quick recall would always be great.

Anyway now let’s get back to the main post itself.

Spoiler

So for starters am going to have to start to agree with @maribella’s assessment about the brain power about the rest of Heartless siblings and thus them being poor in their studies back in school and all.

The scenario that I was initially going to with was a typical K-Drama formula which would be something around as follows. The parents probably had enough money to send their kids upto high school/college at most. At this point they would have arrived at financial difficulties where they could only provide education for one of their child. Especially when you consider the fact that they had twins as well. Heartless probably got to go complete her education because knowing her nature she must have tried to use the pity card or the victim personality whatever you want to go with. Since Clueless is more or less a doormat she let her sister go also it probably wouldn’t help that her mother tends to take her sisters side in almost all things and she would have further forced/convinced her to make way for her sister’s future and whatnot.

Not surprising mind, you. Remember when she fainted at her sister’s wedding mother was again angry at her for trying to ruin her sister’s future or something to that extent instead of being worried about her daughter’s condition. Another reason why she can share the same title/nickname as her daughter (heartless).

As for your point as to why Tae Poong’s mother didn’t help them out if she knew that the family were having financial troubles regarding their studies knowing their condition and all and her nature. A valid point mind you but I have a theory for that as well. Normally I am sure that the family would have accepted such an offer but knowing Clueless and her Dad in the current situation would refuse said offer. Back in the day Heartless was more easy to control. Tae Poong’s condition happened because he tried to rescue her daughter from drowning and all. For this reason, Dad and Clueless always felt bad and guilty towards him. As pointed out it was also enough for the mother to shut up as well.

Though if you consider all of that it makes her actions towards Tae Poong all the more worse. His condition happened due to her child thus the family does should have a sense of responsibility towards him and all. Yet she shamelessly and heartlessly has him chucked out of the house and is expected to fend on his own. Another reason why she is so unlikable like her daughter. Seo Jun’s mother’s actions to an extent can be explainable so at times she still feels human compared to those two. Thus in short even if the mother would have been okay with accepting Tae Poong’s mothers help Clueless and her Dad would be against it due to shame atleast. This can be further evidenced in even now how only those two are busy searching for Tae Poong or atleast her Dad supports her in this venture while the mother is still against it. therefore, I won’t have any issue with her losing everything that she has at the moment. After all, when you consider everything did initially come from Tae Poong’s wealth and she doesn’t deserve a dime from it.

Now the reason why I am starting to agree with your assessment about the kids being poor in their studies. The perfect example here would be Clueless and her relationship with Seo Jun. Clearly she lacks brain cells in this department otherwise she also has a mental problem (perhaps that is why she is a perfect fit for Tae Poong).

When she first met Seo Joon it was at a shoe shop in a department store. He was clearly abusing his power that time by going on a power trip with one of the employee’s. Granted she wasn’t aware of the fact that those two were acquaintances and what happened behind the scenes. She tried to make a video recording only at this point did Seo Joon realize what was going on and stopped being embarrassing and all. Doubt that she was the one to upload it though but that is a story for another day.

Anyway a few days later or was it the next day she bumps into him again when he mistakes her for scratching his expensive car and all. Results in him dragging her off to the police station and all. The investigation eventually reveals that it was a poor old man that accidentally scratched the car. Then out of the goodness of her heart Clueless decides to pay for the damages since she knows that the poor guy can’t pay for them.

Seo Joon discovers this fact but since he has taken a fancy towards her they strike a deal that every day he will purchase a Kimbap that she makes and sells and she uses that to deduct it from the damages cost. Now here is where it all becomes absurd. While I am willing to let their first encounter pass since she met him only once it might not have been as impressionable to her as compared to him. But after that not so much.

She probably already got an estimate for the car and knows that it is expensive and all. So you expect me to belive that she still thinks that he is poor and a normal person. I recall there was this scene where he wanted to do something that cost money and she tells him that people like them need to save every penny to earn a living or something like that. How is that even possible. Also her agreeing to her payment method is equally absurd. She apparently sells her Kimbap at 2$ apiece. Even if we assume that he purchases 2 per day and rounding of 30 days a month that makes his expenses 1440$ a year, I doubt that comes even close to the damage of his car. Meaning she will be paying of the damages for a really long time. How does that even explain him being poor. Perhaps we will get a scene someday where he lies to her that the car really wasn’t his but belonged to a rich friend who is mad at him for it and all. Because at this point nothing else makes sense as to how Clueless she can really get (or as you pointed out that she has been poor in the studies department to figure all of this out on her own.)

@UnniSarah seem to agree with you that Yejin probably isn’t the Chairman’s daughter she does seem to be a bit young to fit the age. Should be around Clueless and Heartless age but she seems to be younger than Leech. So they probably had her after her mother’s accident. Though to be honest I initially was unsure of what to make of her. Was she her father’s daughter from before he married her mother (ie chairmans first love is her stepmother) or she is her birth daughter. The reason I speculated that was when she spent a night out in the first episode her dad apologized to her for his mistake of not informing the mother of her being out and for causing friction and misunderstanding between them. It therefore felt like she wasn’t her real daughter but that they were making effort to become a family and all.

Oh you mentioned Bad Love. Come to think about it that show also had twin sisters in it. Though in that case both sisters were nice and the main leads sister ended up dying. The villain over there was the adopted sister. Did kind of feel bad for her at certain points but that is a story for another day. Seo Soon being the Secretaries son like that would certainly be interesting. Though in this case he seems to be atleast more competent than the second lead over there. Let’s see how he pans out by the end of the show. As of now he certainly seems to be his father’s son but I would love to be proven wrong again. For instance, in Bad Love it didn’t seem possible that the second leads mother would have cheated on her husband. It didn’t seem in her nature. Then we had the reveal. So points to those people that had gotten that prediction correct.

@UnniSarah Wouldn’t know about the ball scene that reminded you of Love To The End. I stopped watching that show exactly at episode 25 and never got a chance to get back to it so will take your word for that.

@maribella LoL at your point in regards to a hair colour change. Even the fake witness did that or to be more exact he let his natural hair colour return unlike Tae Poong.

@brooksmom The reference in Brilliant Heritage was doubly funny because when they asked the gold digger what was the owners favorite show she first mentions Brilliant Heritage. Funny since that is the exact show that they are on. So how exactly does that work was she from another dimension where she watched the show or do they just happen to have a show in their world with the same name as well but different cast. (better have a different plot as well otherwise they could catch up on a lot of things that the villains were doing and stop them.) the ending for that show was funny just felt that they missed a person in it. but again that is a story for another day and a topic that shouldn’t be brought up here so will leave it at that.

@Lmangla never bothered to notice the background music that generally plays around the characters. So I guess a good catch. Though I do want to point out that her giving a fake testimony wasn’t only to prevent the Minho Birth Secret from being revealed. To be more exact it was to buy herself time so that she could get her hands on the family wealth and run of with it or whatever else she wanted. Granted in this case both points could be mutually related. Since if her MiL got released she would have her kicked out without a dime and perhaps not need to alter the will to such a degree. Considering that she had to take care of the foundation that was cheating her and all. While she hadn’t seen the DNA results she probably could have figured them out by now and if needed asked for a copy of them from the lab again. The MiL passing away due to her illness was merely a boon for Heartless at this point.

@nohamahamoud2002 Clueless abandoned Tae Poong because she really is short of Grey Matter. Her thinking is nothing short of absurd even if she tries to explain it. Her mother basically gave her an ultimatum where she could either choose to be with Tae Poong. Him hanging around with the family or bring back Minho but not have both.

Her (Clueless) reasoning would have probably been something around like this. The longer they delay in locating Minho the higher the chances of him being adopted by somebody else. Since the mother is the only one that knows his location she would have to pretend to give in to her demands but the moment that she located Minho she would bring back Tae Poong as well. Sounds partially reasonable mind you until you realize something. She can’t explain all of this to Tae Poong due to his mental condition and that she is doing all of this for him in the first place. Had he been normal Shameless probably wouldn’t have gone to such extents. (she could have done a few things the same). He would have also managed to survive till Clueless managed to recover Minho and get back with him. But since that wasn’t the case she should have handled the case better. For instance, she should have perhaps hired someone to look after Minho for the time being till she achieved her goals. Instead she tries to push him away thinking that she is doing him a favour. Certainly didn’t help their cause when he ends up getting abducted and all and nobody really bothers reporting him. Come to think about it I can sort of understand the neighbor not caring all that much but that shouldn’t have been the case for Clueless. Sure she has been running about like crazy since back then to locate him but did she even consider reporting him missing to the police. Granted in this case that might not have been so helpful since they were in the pocket of the Foundation’s owner and all.

@shamrockmom I am going to go with the theory that Tae Poong is only aware of things that he knows or caught in the background even with his intellectual progress. In this case he was knocked out by the time Heartless returned from her shower. Thus she could have clearly taken advantage of him. He should probably be mad about that if he is thinking straight. But since he thinks that she still had his child he should give her some leeway at this point. It also doesn’t help that he got attached to the child in that brief period so it doesn’t matter how he became a father just that he did.

As for the real father doubt that he will make an appearance any time soon. From what I recall he was slowly losing his eyesight due to the accident that he was involved in. Thus he has probably already lost it if we are lucky. Though at this point I am a bit unclear about this fact. Is the problem something that surgery can’t cure at all or the fact that once he goes blind get an eye transplant which helps him see once more. Some might argue that he doesn’t have the funds for any of that. But I am sure that some of his friends could help him out. If I recall correctly, he was living in an apartment that belonged to a rich friend. Someone from Samo Group. I am sure they could help fund his surgery allowing him to come back in the picture. Prior to this he gave up his right as a parent due to his medical condition and all but if that doesn’t hold him back anymore then there is nothing to prevent him to demand his rights back. Though to be honest even back then that wasn’t any real excuse to let Heartless continue on with her deception. Even if he couldn’t take care of his child at that point I am sure that his mother and brother wouldn’t hesitate to give him a helping hand in regards to this. Not that any of it will matter by the end.

I still feel that if you raise a kid with all of your heart their past shouldn’t really matter and that you won’t abandon them once the truth is revealed. Unlike let’s say what happened in the show A Place Under The Sun. Where certain people could just turn their feelings on and off as the plot demanded.

To be honest I just don’t get Shameless and her lack of affection for Minho. This is her freaking grandchild of all things not some random strangers kid. Unless she is pulling a scam of her own at this point as well. When Tae Poong arrived at the orphanage he was informed that only two kids were found on the date that he mentioned and while one of them was retaken by his family the other one passed away. Who by the way conveniently also had the same Mickey Mouse Doll as Minho. Isn’t that odd. Did both families have a thing for Mickey Mouse. Is he just that popular. So unless what happened was the actual Minho did pass away but Shameless didn’t want anybody to discover this fact took in the other child claiming to be family and having a change of heart. Also note for some weird reason Clueless is dumb enough to go with the name change that her mother has gone with. Why wouldn’t anybody notice the difference if there was a baby swap. Has anybody just seen how clueless Clueless can be at times that it wouldn’t surprise me if she didn’t notice the difference or if she did her mother could have explained that children look different after some time (just how many days/months did it take for her to bring Minho back to the family) that might work though not exactly possible. The Mickey Mouse doll is certainly weird since I think that I spotted it in her house as well. So it really is a case of drama coincidence that both children ended up with the same doll at the same orphanage. The other thing is that Minho was probably deposited at a totally different orphanage than the one that Tae Poong ended up with so that case could be slightly more believable at that point. After all, if memory serves me correctly a nun discovered him but the woman that Tae Poong was talking with didn’t seem like that to me. Perhaps she was in charge of management and the Nuns aren’t responsible for that though that does seem a bit unlikely knowing what I know and have seen of these shows.

@nohamahamoud2002 Going to agree with you at this point it won’t matter to the leads about Minho’s birth secret they have been taking care of him for so long or have kept them in their thoughts that it won’t matter to them. They should make sure that they can keep the other two women far away from him at this point though. Fortunately for all of us Heartless failed to register Minho as her kid so she won’t get any parental rights to complain about later on. Probably will make her mad but that will be her Karma.

@maribella I think the poor guy was more shocked as to why he didn’t have any clothes on when he clearly remembered having some before he hit the sack. As for him asking Heartless about their so called night out doesn’t exactly work. Back then he was dumb enough to go along with the lies that were fed to him even if he was unsure as to what exactly transpired that night. But as for now he can’t do that since that will mess up his entire revenge plans especially on Heartless who abandoned her family (including him and Minho). Not sure how he plans to take her down. It isn’t like he is going to show up at her wedding and reveal himself to be her husband. She better hope that she is pregnant again at that point so that she can rely on her favourite fainting trick. LoL She is going to need that and every trick in her book to stay married to Seo Joon.

While I have more to add going to spend some time with my nephews that are here. So take care all of you and keep posting. Look forward to reading all of your thoughts and all. Will get to my actual post at some other point.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

I am wondering how does the FL love TP? She allowed the marriage of YR and TP without showing much jealousy or sadness. When she was looking for TP, she allowed SJ to hug her. TP already thinks that YJ likes SJ. Sometimes I get the feeling that she only pitied him. How will the things develop later on? Will YJ like the new TP?

Also some day, TP will see Minhoo with YJ. I think he will put two and two together. He will guess that Minhoo is still alive.

PS. My only explanation for TP thinking that Minhoo is his son is that he doesn't remember anything about that night. Or maybe it's part of the illogical things in this drama. :huh:

I already feel surprised that YR said she liked TP long ago and hid it. It is not logical seeing how she treated him with contempt. How did the others believe her? I don't know -_-

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

I am wondering how does the FL love TP? She allowed the marriage of YR and TP without showing much jealousy or sadness. When she was looking for TP, she allowed SJ to hug her. TP already thinks that YJ likes SJ. Sometimes I get the feeling that she only pitied him. How will the things develop later on? Will YJ like the new TP?

Also some day, TP will see Minhoo with YJ. I think he will put two and two together. He will guess that Minhoo is still alive.

PS. My only explanation for TP thinking that Minhoo is his son is that he doesn't remember anything about that night. Or maybe it's part of the illogical things in this drama. :huh:

Even if he finds out about Min Hoo, in his heart he loves him.

@yamiyugi  I fall asleep on my shows too. At night, I'm careful not to watch scary shows. One night, I fell asleep on the couch with the tv on, then I woke up when I heard a boom, boom, boom. "This is the police, open up or we'll break the door down." I jumped up. Oh, no!. Then I realized it was a tv show.

Aw. The orphanage couldn't part with mickey mouse. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

@yamiyugi She is poor and she pays for a poor man's cost of scratching a luxury car? Oh goodness, I didn't know that. She is a birdbrain. I think the writer wants us to admire this idiot for her generosity, loyalty to TP, her love for her nephew etc. etc. but she ends up seeming clueless to use your label, 5 years later she is still  clueless.

But I don't think this family has the grace to reject money from TP's mum. They'd think that since she gives money to charity, we should take it. They are just so tasteless. I am guessing the writer did not take TPs mum kind nature into account.

• Like 6

talking about another stupid character (gosh why are there so many in this drama? hahahaha...) ~ does anyone else find it dumb that seo jun seems to think that he will work and prove himself and then go find yu jung? :joy: had to giggle at that logic -- fist five years have passed. so many things could have happened including her meeting someone, getting married etc. does he think that she will still be there waiting for him? and he wants to further delay this reunion by working because yu jung magically knows he is coming back for her. LOL.... but he is still a step above yu jung who imagines herself in love with a man with a brain of a 7 year old, who was her brother-in-law kind of for a while and then dumped him out in the street and is now missing him. compared to yu jung's logic, seo jun makes more sense?! :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 5