[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

1 hour ago, deanne3004 said:

It is in the next episode or is it in the laterrr episode when this drama focus on the political plot?

Still, it is weird if she disguised as a man yet no people will recognize her because she is not just disguise as an ordinary man but an eunuch.

Even King's minion can recognize her in the gisaeng, why does she think the servants/eunuchs/officials in the palace won't recognize her as their queen?:surprisedwut:

The first guy who get to kiss the queen LOL

credit to the owner

Cute queen with the cute child

credit to the owner

Her skirt's pose make her look like a cute donald duck

credit to the owner

• Like 1

The other clan wants to install Jo In Hwa the concubine as the new queen. She has probably been raised in such a way to expect this, and this could also explain how she and the king first met, because of their expectations. However, then So Young appeared.

The eunuch clothes... maybe it's some kind of sleuthing going on as the next episodes deal more with the palace intrigue and the fact the queen must defend her position. It's also funny how Mr Queen tries to befriend the concubine, finding her quite attractive but all he gets is rejection. He used to be quite the player and this must be hurtful.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Min2206 said:

The King often stares at his Queen in bewilderment because he can't fathom why she does this or that or says this or that :D  because of the smart, handsome male chef in her body. 

I think one of the reason they choose King Cheoljong as the main male character is because he was known as kinda dumb in the real history. So even if his queen behaved wildly and nonsense not like the usual sophisticated Joseon's queen, he just get along with her antics:tongue:

Like in episode 3 when the queen grabbed the blanket all for herself, he said "You are very strong" and "Sharing is a virtue of a gracious king":lol: So far his queen chased him out, punched, glared, burped and spitted in front of him. Poor king LOOL 

Other than the great actress Shin Hye Sun as the main female lead, I'm really happy that they choose talented actor like Kim Jung Hyun to act as the main male lead that has dual personality for this drama.

He can be dorky and funny like his role in Welcome To Waikiki 

Spoiler

credit to the owner

and be angsty and dramatic like his role in Time.

Spoiler

credit to the owner

I read quite many comments on the youtube, twitter, ig, drama website and other place mentioned that they dislike the king as the main male lead because of his behavior towards the queen. They also blaming him as one of the reason of Kim So Yong suicide act and some even hoping the queen to be with the cousin or the chef.

Shin Hye Sun really delivers great performance as the pitiful Kim So Yong and brazen current queen so of course many audiences can easily sympathize and side with her characters. I really love the current queen and pity the real queen.

But the king is pitiful too. I don't condone his behavior towards So Yong but his family been exiled and he is forced to become the puppet king for the So Yong's clan and other clan that are power-hungry. He also has to pretend that he is just a dumb and horny king in front of his eunuch, officials and servants.

They show us how tired he felt because he has to keep pretending in front of head eunuch after this scene huhu

credit to the owner

So I kinda understand why he lashing his anger towards So Yong because of her clan's behavior with showing that he dislike her even before their marriage. And after they forced him to marry woman from their clan to control him, now they threaten him with his concubine, one of his people that he trusts right now.

He must feel so powerless even he is the king until he had to kneel and beg in front of them when they want to behead his concubine. 

credit to the owner 

The biggest culprit are the both of the queen dowager. I'm really annoyed with them right now:angry: They are the main reason of King and Queen suffering ughh

So, I feel for the king just like how I feel for So Yong. I don't dislike him, I'm rooting for the king and queen to cooperate together.

On the funny side, this is quite true LOL:

King + Queen = romcom

King + Concubine = melodrama 

credit to the owner

About Hwa Jin and Byung In, I don't hate their characters so far but I really wish the next episodes will focusing about queen's cooking skill, king's ambition and King and Queen cooperation to fight against their enemies. 

I'm really tired with the usual annoying love triangle in other Korean dramas and this drama has love square with the concubine and the queen's cousin haish

The main reason I'm interested and watching this drama is because of our queen Shin Hye Sun and king Kim Jung Hyun so give me more of their development relationship scenes. Please don't dragged the love square too much show!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

:heart: OUR PRETTY QUEEN HYESUN

QUEEN RULES! :glasses:

Love that so many people are enjoying this drama so much. And I'm enjoying reading all the posts here.

Can't wait for real SY's backstory, King to stop hating on Queen, King &Queen's childhood story (they did had a child King and Queen filming), BH's crazy antics and everything more on Queen. Not a fan of the adopted cousin link, I'm with one of you here thinking he's not that simple, probably a dark one. 

Absolutely love the synergy of Queen and her 2 followers, Hongyeon and Court Lady Choi. I swear these 3 are so hilarious and adorable together! 

• Like 4

Hello everyone, first time here. 

I just want to share my thoughts after I read the Mr. Queen page on Namu Wiki. Unlike Wikipedias, Namu wiki is more subjective, and often, there are side comments and jokes mixed in within the page. However, it is still entertaining to read. And it said that the romance would be something called "No Touch Romance," which means the leads might develop feelings for each other, but there is no physical affection. Hmm. What do you guys think? 

Even though I expect they'll execute the romance differently as Koreans are more conservative, I honestly hope they go with a similar route with the C-version, lol since I don't mind the physical affection as I saw the queen as a woman in the later episodes of the Chinese version. She is in the female body with female hormones. She also went through... 

Spoiler

pregnancy and giving birth

and she eventually grows feminine inside, accepts her body and herself as a woman. So it can't be helped but see her as a woman. Thus, I am waiting for the king and the current Queen's romance with physical affection. 

However, if they go to a different route, I think I am still getting hooked with the drama. This reminds me of My Mister drama, both leads probably love each other, but there is no romance between the two. And still one of the best dramas I've ever watched to date. I somehow think this route will leave deeper emotions and perhaps more suitable for many Koreans.

Regarding the idea that the royal couple would cooperate in political action, I honestly don't see the Queen will join Cheoljong in his movement. Or maybe it will happen but not anytime soon or not become the majority of the story. Because perhaps it would be too much different from history. Of course, the drama is only fiction, but I think the production team would consider many things so that they won't way off track. Or maybe I am thinking this way because I don't like Jo's clan either. The Queen Dowager from Jo's clan looks evil too, and it seemed that the king was surrounded by more traitors than heroes. For example, Prince YangPyeong, with his mindset, "The ends justify the means," or morally bad methods can be used to achieve a good result. That doesn't sound right.

So I don't see the two parties as good, and probably the current Queen will be more neutral in her political action. She probably might put herself first in anything (like wanted to be seen as a hero in eps 4), and without realizing it, her steps lead to more good than bad ones, regardless of which parties (Jo or Kim's clan) benefited the most from her actions.

• Like 4

Hi everyone first time again posting in drama forum for like since quarantine period! I can’t help but hook in Mr Queen, I mean my most fave actress in a saeguk drama trapped in a woman’s body with the sexy voice of our zombie detective, I would have fall for it anytime! And the main lead was awesome as well I like him since school 2017. 
for me I feel that the king and queen will development into real BFF, I mean bromance in full bloom :grimace: friednemies per se, they will go hand in hand fight the corrupt official in the palace, as for SY, I hope she also regain herself and prove to them that she is indeed the Queen although I know it will take a miracle, and I hope BH will help her, I mean SY save him in the water, but so weird that she will take her own life and then tries to save a man under the water? Well that’s part of the story right? I just can’t help but repeat the scenes of the king and queen, the chemistry is out of this world! Hah! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, enzek said:

The main reason I'm interested and watching this drama is because of our queen Shin Hye Sun and king Kim Jung Hyun so give me more of their development relationship scenes. Please don't dragged the love square too much show!

I like Kim Jung Hyun's character here - as the story goes, that role requires him to be dumb, dorky or clueless.  Kim carries the role so well.   Beneath that pretentious layers, the King is smart and calculative in his moves and plans.  I believe the Queen is aware.  

So wonderful to read all your reviews and thoughts @enzek @Ni Wen @Kaizen68 @Lj  

3 hours ago, Kaizen68 said:

So I don't see the two parties as good, and probably the current Queen will be more neutral in her political action. She probably might put herself first in anything (like wanted to be seen as a hero in eps 4), and without realizing it, her steps lead to more good than bad ones, regardless of which parties (Jo or Kim's clan) benefited the most from her actions.

It's true that Mr Queen will put herself first , even before the King.   I believe that eventually the King will see the Queen as his ally, seeing how the Mr Queen mitigating issues, going round, not wanting to hurt anyone in the progress.  That being said, some truths or evils will be exposed. But not sure how long Mr Queen can do that, being neutral - he will have to take sides one day.   And may possibly want to help and protect the actual Queen's position and status as well.
As to why the Queen fainted in the preview, best thing to do to avoid further interrogation.  Yea, @Kaizen68 noticed the displeasure look on the cousin.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kaizen68 said:

Hello everyone, first time here. 

I just want to share my thoughts after I read the Mr. Queen page on Namu Wiki. Unlike Wikipedias, Namu wiki is more subjective, and often, there are side comments and jokes mixed in within the page. However, it is still entertaining to read. And it said that the romance would be something called "No Touch Romance," which means the leads might develop feelings for each other, but there is no physical affection. Hmm. What do you guys think? 

Even though I expect they'll execute the romance differently as Koreans are more conservative, I honestly hope they go with a similar route with the C-version, lol since I don't mind the physical affection as I saw the queen as a woman in the later episodes of the Chinese version. She is in the female body with female hormones. She also went through... 

Reveal hidden contents

pregnancy and giving birth

and she eventually grows feminine inside, accepts her body and herself as a woman. So it can't be helped but see her as a woman. Thus, I am waiting for the king and the current Queen's romance with physical affection. 

However, if they go to a different route, I think I am still getting hooked with the drama. This reminds me of My Mister drama, both leads probably love each other, but there is no romance between the two. And still one of the best dramas I've ever watched to date. I somehow think this route will leave deeper emotions and perhaps more suitable for many Koreans.

No, I don't want "no touch" literally between our royal couple until the end even they have feeling with each other, no!

star wars no GIF

Yes, our current queen might reject physical affection with the king and will get confuse and hesitate even when she is also fall for the king later because his soul is a straight modern man but the king?

When the king falls for the queen it is impossible he don't want to do any physical affection with his queen. I mean what he see in front of him is a 100% woman that is already his wife so when he has feeling for her he must want to kiss, hug, cuddle and even sleep with her like other normal man. I'm excited to watch the king falling for his queen!

credit to @Kaizen68

I want to see the their physical affection, it fine even their romance is the slow burn type because there are many other historical romance dramas that I watch and like had their romance development slower than this LOL

I also don't care if it is current queen or real queen. Both are still Shin Hye Sun with Kim Jung Hyun anyway, so I don't have any problem ahaha:lol:

Can't wait for episode 5 and 6 yay!

credit to the owner

Btw @Kaizen68, I read your opinions about this drama on the twitter and I really love how you connect the Korean version plot with the original Chinese version. I also had watch the Chinese version and I agree with many of your opinion. I also hope you will share more of your opinions here:fullofhearts:

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

2 hours ago, Min2206 said:

But not sure how long Mr Queen can do that, being neutral - he will have to take sides one day.   And may possibly want to help and protect the actual Queen's position and status as well.

Yes, that what I mean, but she's (I will mostly use she/her) not into Jo or Kim's clan (that's what I mean with 'neutral' hehe). Instead, her side is to save the queen and protect her position and status. The same thing goes for the C-drama. Her political action was only to protect herself and her status. She saw the ninth prince (or Byeong-in in the Kdrama) as an ally (as this man is willing to sacrifice anything for the queen, even his own life) and put the king as her enemy to protect herself as she realized that the king clearly wanted to kill her. The kdrama might slightly different tho, but I see Chef Jang has similar personality with Zhang Peng. So he is more likely to make a similar decision imo.

25 minutes ago, enzek said:

Btw @Kaizen68, I read your opinions about this drama on the twitter and I really love how you connect the Korean version plot with the original Chinese version. I also had watch the Chinese version and I agree with many of your opinion. I also hope you will share more of your opinions here

Thank you so much @enzek, yes I think I'll share more my opinions here because I can't help lol. This drama is oddly addicting, one week feels so long, and I need to do something to kill the time, hahaha

25 minutes ago, enzek said:

No, I don't want "no touch" literally between our royal couple until the end even they have feeling with each other, no!

Literally me too when I first read Namu Wiki  :headbang:  However, Namu wiki was written by personal contributors and there are so many side jokes and personal opinions mixed in, there is no reference about 'no touch romance' thing and the website also said that particular information may be not true lol, so it is not reliable. I'm still hoping there would be physical affection between our leads.. #letspraytogether hahaha.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have been a lurker until now but feel like joining in the fun. I have really enjoyed the series so far which does not happen that often anymore (and I have been watching K-dramas for like 15 years now). Now I am really curious though how they will develop the relationships. Some of you said that it does not matter if the romance is between the king and the queen OR mr. queen. I would disagree because I really enjoy the bickering between the king and the chef. In addition, I think having a compelling romance relies on the personalities of the characters and, for me, it would be a bit strange to have the main character be the chef in the queen’s body for most of the series and then have the king only fall in love with the body, not the person inside. However, since it is Korea, I am not sure if they will go the same route as the original C-Drama did, so I am very curious how they will deal with this. Really interesting to read your guy’s thoughts though so let’s wait and see!

• Like 2

On 12/24/2020 at 10:59 AM, Daria said:

Some of you said that it does not matter if the romance is between the king and the queen OR mr. queen. I would disagree because I really enjoy the bickering between the king and the chef. In addition, I think having a compelling romance relies on the personalities of the characters and, for me, it would be a bit strange to have the main character be the chef in the queen’s body for most of the series and then have the king only fall in love with the body, not the person inside. However, since it is Korea, I am not sure if they will go the same route as the original C-Drama did, so I am very curious how they will deal with this.

That's what I felt as well. Some people said it doesn't matter if the romance is between the king & the previous Queen OR the current Queen, but it doesn't feel right for me. From what we know so far, the king would begin to fall in love when inside the body was Chef Jang (not previous Soyong). So let say Soyong comes back and she finds out that Cheoljeong already loves her. Do you think she will be happy? Hmm, I don't think so. I think she would feel lonely even more. Since she knows the king loved another person. Others suggest ideas like Oh My Ghost so that two souls take turns in controlling one body. But that will only lead to more confusion. And unlike Oh My Ghost, when the ghost can quickly enter the body, there is no way the Queen will go back and forth diving into the lake every time she wants to change her soul.

But if the king only fell in love with the chef, it would seem like there is no justice for the previous Soyong either. Especially there will give us more flashbacks about their childhood, and it's more likely Soyong was the one who saved Cheoljong in the past. Also, Soyong was originally warm and kind, but the king misunderstood her as he spent more time with another woman (Jo Hwa Jin). So we love the current Queen and pity the previous one, and the previous Soyong needs justice.

So to be fair, this is my theory: Chef Jang was the real Queen. He is the reincarnation of the Queen herself. Since the past person was killed and lonely, the soul from the future dutied to change the destiny. These are my arguments:

1. Before her suicide, Soyong made willing to give up her false self. So if her willingness is granted, then the person inside her body now is her true self. As Heon-Yeong said, her true self is kind and warm. And the drama spent quite a bit of time showing that Chef Jang is such a person.

50756786696_fba8dff2e7_c.jpg

2. The fact that Chef Jang is gaining her memories and even felt the same emotions. When the current Queen suddenly had a heartache, the inner voice said it isn't physical pain. So instead, it is an emotional pain. So it also means Chef Jang felt the same emotions as the real Queen. That's why he could assume that Soyong like Cheoljong as he suddenly felt the same way.

50755976458_1918f6f9ef.jpg

Koreans are more conservative, so the production team perhaps considered a potential controversy among some audiences if they show romantic interactions between boys. No matter the chemistry between leads, they probably won't go to exactly the same route like Chinese. But it might work if the Queen originally was a woman before he turned into a man. In the C-drama, they didn't show the real Queen at all, and there is no flashback about her. But in the drama, Chef Jang is gaining her memories. So maybe it is an answer to how they'll execute the romance.

3. The first time Chef Jang started gaining Soyong memories after he said, "This is the first time I heard this woman's name." So maybe deep inside him, the name was already familiar and it triggered the memories. Not to mention Chef Jang's gaze towards the king since episode 1, when he got heart attack during the wedding.

Spoiler

4. Chef Jang and the previous Queen like the same cake. Even Chef Jang brought it into the royal kitchen, hid it under the clothes.

50756736231_99458ae102.jpg

5. Idk if this is also necessary to mention, but Chef Jang and the real Queen share a similar personality. Both have bold sides, incredibly smart and as Hong-Yeon said, "Once you set your mind on something, you make sure to achieve it." Like Chef Jang, who wants to be a chef in Blue House no matter what, and he set this mind since 13 years old.

50756751721_1a45e2c266_c.jpg

Of course this is only my theory and I am ready to eat my own words, but I love theorizing, as I also hope there would be romance between the present queen and the king :luvarrow:

• Like 8
  • Insightful 4

@Kaizen68 nice theory, good job!

Thank you for sharing.

It seem we will know more about Kim So Yong's story this week.

credit to the owner

I read a comment mentioned that

Spoiler

Potential sad ending for Hwa Jin is she might commit suicide later after her schemes fail when the king falls in love with the queen. 

The commentator also mentioned that the scene before she entered the palace where she said to her sad nanny, "Nanny, I'm not going to die" is kind of foreshadowing her ending.

Btw, when I mentioned I don't care whether the romance will be between king & real queen or king & current queen, that means I will just swallow whatever explanation this drama will give about soul swapping issue later. If I be too serious I couldn't enjoy all the cute/sweet scenes between Kim Jung Hyun & Shin Hye Sun in this drama LOL

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Finally got the time to binge watch all the four episodes. As I expected I was not disappointed. This is as fun and hilarious as I thought it would be. I am impressed with Shin Hye Sun's acting. She really seems like a man and she's not overdoing it thankfully. 

I am fine with slow romance but I want romance between the king and chef to happen. How am I supposed to not ship them when they have such amazing chemistry and the actors are Kim Jung Hyun and Shin Hye Sun? But if they show romance between the king and chef then it will be unfair for Soyong. Perhaps their souls can merge since chef is already getting Queen's memory. Maybe the soul of the queen is still inside and will awaken in due time. I think in this way it will be easier for the makers to show how a straight man can fall for another man.

I think the cousin genuinely loves the queen but will become obsessed with her at some point especially with his "I will never forget". For once the female lead in a saeguk is not a commoner or a lady from a fallen clan. I don't remember the last time I saw a female lead whose family is still wealthy and powerful. It will be interesting to see how the chef/queen will go against her own family and help the king in his cause. I am loving that the chef is nowhere near dumb and is actually very smart. She knows when to butter up and when to stay quiet.

• Like 10

12 hours ago, Kaizen68 said:

[...] So to be fair, this is my theory: Chef Jang was the real Queen. He is the reincarnation of the Queen herself. Since the past person was killed and lonely, the soul from the future dutied to change the destiny. [...]

Oh wow! I actually LOVE your theory, that would make so much sense. It also ticks many boxes K-dramas love – reincarnation, destined lovers/soulmates, childhood sweethearts – without making it TOO predictable. I wonder if they will then focus on the chef becoming the queen for real by regaining the memories of his past life. Maybe that could be highlighted by changing his inner voice gradually from Choi Jin-Hyuk’s to Shin Hye-Sun’s and him realizing eventually that he IS that woman.  That would, in addition, open the door to romance without making it controversial. Now I am really excited, thank you for sharing!

Edited by Daria
  • Like 5