[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

Hi chingus.. first post here. I binge watched this drama in two days and I am glad I did. It  had me laughing so hard that my stomach hurts..:lol:Mr Queen is one charismatic queen and I'm swooning here.The side characters are too good. The court lady 's expression.. I can't with her.. she's hilarious, the face off between the queen and the royal chef always gets me and not to mention our queen's quirkiness.She twerked in the rain. 

This drama has the biggest line up of ships so far. lol. 

We have a love pentagon between - the king×queen×Byung In×concubine×King 's brother

Court lady×royal chef (they are so funny) 

Love triangle - Queen' s bro×Hong Yeon ×King' s frnd. 

Now that the king has started feeling for the queen, I wonder how the dynamics would change in the palace. Queen Dowager and the kim clan want a submissive queen at their disposal  but we know our queen is anything but submissive.She's got a heart and will fight for what's right. And as expected the concubine is not so meek as she projects to be. Does the king know this or is he playing along?His interactions with her seems so superficial to me. 

Edited by Ashbelle
  • Like 2

I read people speculating the most probable ending would be Jang Bong Hwan and So Yong switching back to their timelines after Cheoljong falls in love with Bong Hwan. That Bong Hwan was only meant to mend their relationship so that So Yong and Cheoljong could live happily ever after. And people seem to be okay with it. Seriously?

Am I the only one who would be insanely furious if that turned out to be the ending? Like seriously what kind of freaking message would it send???!!

They’ll literally make one man falling in love with the other (because let’s be straight, it’s all Bong Hwan that makes Cheoljong interest in the queen again) and they’ll make So Yong come back because we’re in 2020 and people are still “NO HOMO”?!!

I know I’d be very unhappy with that conclusion and it would ruin otherwise so well written and acted drama. That would be the most “bury your gays” ending in the history of television. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Madu Mita said:

We love a twerkng queen!!!!

LET THE SKIES BE ENRAGED BY HER PELVIC MOVEMENTS

1 hour ago, Ashbelle said:

Now that the king has started feeling for the queen, I wonder how the dynamics would change. As expected the concubine is not so meek as she projects to be . Does the king knows this or is he playing along?His interactions with her seems so superficial to me. 

i doubt he knows actually? since the real so yong was saying that the king wasn't aware of her lies. honestly she does behave like an A+ person until it comes to the queen, so i guess she hides that side of her really well.

56 minutes ago, aisling said:

I read people speculating the most probable ending would be Jang Bong Hwan and So Yong switching back to their timelines after Cheoljong falls in love with Bong Hwan. That Bong Hwan was only meant to mend their relationship so that So Yong and Cheoljong could live happily ever after. And people seem to be okay with it. Seriously?

Am I the only one who would be insanely furious if that turned out to be the ending? Like seriously what kind of freaking message would it send???!!

They’ll literally make one man falling in love with the other (because let’s be straight, it’s all Bong Hwan that makes Cheoljong interest in the queen again) and they’ll make So Yong come back because we’re in 2020 and people are still “NO HOMO”?!!

I know I’d be very unhappy with that conclusion and it would ruin otherwise so well written and acted drama. That would be the most “bury your gays” ending in the history of television. 

i'm not sure if you're referring specifically to me, but i just wanna explain a little since i did express that sentiment just a few posts before. this ending definitely could enforce heteronormativity, and i'm not saying it's fine at all, i actually think it's cool if the queen/bong hwan and cheoljong ends up together anyway. but for that to happen, i see a lot of sensitive topics being tackled - bong hwan's identity as a male in a woman's body, his preference for women and not men, and also cheoljong's preferences. it's like what bong hwan tried to tell cheoljong at the start - he's a man, he likes women, and cheoljong not knowing that is marriage fraud. further, cheoljong not acknowledging it is most likely damaging as well. for sure, if their preferences and bong hwan's identity do change, then cool. that being said, i am rather uncomfortable with the idea of bong hwan somehow just falling in love with the king and accepting he's now a woman just because? i did not watch the original c-drama or read the novel so maybe the topics were tastefully handled there, but for now, i can't see a very graceful way of handling it though i'm open to the idea and am curious how they intend to handle this relationship in future episodes. this discomfort, admittedly, likely also stems from my own unfamiliarity with trans experiences and people, so idk what would be the most appropriate way for them to be represented in a show like this (or if they even see the characters/relationships as relevant to their community? i may be overthinking this) 

so i guess i see so yong returning as an easier way of resolving this, and even then i don't see the king being automatically in love with so yong or vice versa. so yong probably changed a ton if she was living in the chef's body in the modern world, and i don't expect her to unconditionally serve the king again after what happened. i'm sorry if it came across as pushing for a heteronormative ending, that was not my intention. if i've made any ignorant statements, i would be grateful if you can let me know, but all in all, thanks for reading and i hope that i made some.. sense. 

Edited by poopytubby
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

This episode had quite some developments. It’s hilarious that even in a woman’s body, Jang Bong Hwan wants to be the knight (lady?) in a shining armor and saved the concubine to prevent the king from becoming the hero. It seems like the concubine and the king’s brother are going to have a love angle, which sounds rather scandalous but that’s this whole show. The king is obviously softening towards the queen, and I look forward to her reaction to that. I want to see the conflict of her actually enjoying his company but trying to maintain distance at the same time. Love me some angst. The preview was interesting. In the novel, the soul-switching happened and the main character was actually shown a glimpse of what the queen was doing in his body. Literally saw his body engaging in ummm intercourse with a man. Needless to say, he freaked out. Wonder if that’s the route this show is going to take. 

* Also, is it just me or did the bgm when the king was saving the queen from drowning sound like Harry Potter music lol. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

I havent read the chinese novel because its way too long. But i already watched the chinese drama version a few times. What i can say is, the queen took quite long time to accept the king. They even had a child together. But i dont expect korean drama will take the same route. 

Is it just me but i really want the king to suffer a little before he get the queen? As we know, the real queen (so yong) had suffered a lot because of him and his stupid lover (concubine). I hope he can redeem his action.

Just now, Maliah said:

This episode had quite some developments. It’s hilarious that even in a woman’s body, Jang Bong Hwan wants to be the knight (lady?) in a shining armor and saved the concubine to prevent the king from becoming the hero. It seems like the concubine and the king’s brother are going to have a love angle, which sounds rather scandalous but that’s this whole show. The king is obviously softening towards the queen, and I look forward to her reaction to that. I want to see the conflict of her actually enjoying his company but trying to maintain distance at the same time. Love me some angst. The preview was interesting. In the novel, the soul-switching happened and the main character was actually shown a glimpse of what the queen was doing in his body. Literally saw his body engaging in ummm intercourse with a man. Needless to say, he freaked out. Wonder if that’s the route this show is going to take. 

* Also, is it just me or did the bgm when the king was saving the queen from drowning sound like Harry Potter music lol. 

Lol..i was thinking the same thing. The music really reminds me of harry potter. I thought its just me. Hahaha.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, poopytubby said:

LET THE SKIES BE ENRAGED BY HER PELVIC MOVEMENTS

i doubt he knows actually? since the real so yong was saying that the king wasn't aware of her lies. honestly she does behave like an A+ person until it comes to the queen, so i guess she hides that side of her really well.

i'm not sure if you're referring specifically to me, but i just wanna explain a little since i did express that sentiment just a few posts before. this ending definitely could enforce heteronormativity, and i'm not saying it's fine at all, i actually think it's cool if the queen/bong hwan and cheoljong ends up together anyway. but for that to happen, i see a lot of sensitive topics being tackled - bong hwan's identity as a male in a woman's body, his preference for women and not men, and also cheoljong's preferences. it's like what bong hwan tried to tell cheoljong at the start - he's a man, he likes women, and cheoljong not knowing that is marriage fraud. further, cheoljong not acknowledging it is most likely damaging as well. for sure, if their preferences and bong hwan's identity do change, then cool. that being said, i am rather uncomfortable with the idea of bong hwan somehow just falling in love with the king and accepting he's now a woman just because? i did not watch the original c-drama or read the novel so maybe the topics were tastefully handled there, but for now, i can't see a very graceful way of handling it though i'm open to the idea and am curious how they intend to handle this relationship in future episodes. this discomfort, admittedly, likely also stems from my own unfamiliarity with trans experiences and people, so idk what would be the most appropriate way for them to be represented in a show like this (or if they even see the characters/relationships as relevant to their community? i may be overthinking this) 

so i guess i see so yong returning as an easier way of resolving this, and even then i don't see the king being automatically in love with so yong or vice versa. so yong probably changed a ton if she was living in the chef's body in the modern world, and i don't expect her to unconditionally serve the king again after what happened. i'm sorry if it came across as pushing for a heteronormative ending, that was not my intention. if i've made any ignorant statements, i would be grateful if you can let me know, but all in all, thanks for reading and i hope that i made some.. sense. 

Sorry if it sounded like I was mentioning you but I truly didn’t. I meant people on other platforms.

I agree with your points there are obstacles and issues needed to overcome if they want to make male/male pairing. I think in the novel it was stated the god made a mistake and put these two souls in wrong bodies. That’s why in the novel we saw the original queen being intimate with a man because she was finally in the “right” body. And in the preview for episode 6 we see So Yong in chef’s body checking out a man. Isn’t it an implication? Unless it’s just something Bong Hwan imagined in his head.

The same reason was applied to the hero. He slowly accepted his feminine self because it felt right. And people don’t need to be attracted only to one gender. Maybe Bong Hwan never considered being with a man because he was also attracted to women and never realised the other option. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be attracted to men too. 

The biggest problem for me isn’t even their sexuality. People have loved men, women, aliens, goblins, grim reapers, mermaids, and so on. But I do agree it wouldn’t be fair to Cheoljong not knowing the truth about whose soul he’s falling in love with. That’s why I hoped So Yong and Bong Hwan were the same soul, that way it wouldn’t feel like too much lying to Cheoljong because it’s still the same soul.

If Bong Hwan will never reciprocate the king’s feelings then it’d be better for the writer to take a safe route and make them platonic friends.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

Sooo the king will start to feel jealous while the queen will start to get confused

credit to the owner

The king falling literally for Mr Queen in the lake after falling for her LOOL

credit to the owner

Yay, my ship!

credit to the owner

• Like 7
  • Wiggle 2
  • Blob 1

Mr. Queen Previews Intriguing Changes For Shin Hye Sun, Kim Jung Hyun, Seol In Ah, And Na In Woo

fdec0ade699a45f7b521052fb379156e.jpeg?s=

Dec 27, 2020
by L. Kim

tvN’s “Mr. Queen” has shared a glimpse of the upcoming episode!

“Mr. Queen” is an upcoming historical fusion drama about a man from modern times whose soul is trapped in the body of a queen from the Joseon dynasty.

Shin Hye Sun stars as Kim So Yong, the Joseon queen with the soul of Jang Bong Hwan, a male chef who works at the Blue House, and Kim Jung Hyun co-stars as King Cheoljong, the king with two faces. Seol In Ah plays the role of Jo Hwa Jin, and Na In Woo takes the role of Kim Byeong In.

Spoilers

On the previous episode of “Mr. Queen,” Kim So Yong became excited about a coming storm and thought it was the perfect opportunity to go back to modern times. During the pouring rain, she jumped into the lake, but her attempt to go back failed when King Cheoljong came to rescue her.

On December 27, the drama unveiled new stills of Kim So Yong, King Cheoljong, Jo Hwa Jin, and Kim Byeong In. In one photo, Kim So Yong’s expression is clouded with disappointment, and she seems depressed by the fact she’s still stuck in the Joseon dynasty. In another photo, King Cheoljong and Kim Byeong In stare at each other with thick tension in the air. Kim So Yong stares at them in befuddlement, and viewers are intrigued to find out more about their pending love triangle.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1445546wpp/mr-queen-previews-intriguing-changes-for-shin-hye-sun-kim-jung-hyun-seol-in-ah-and-na-in-woo

• Like 5

Because of this weakness, our current queen added problem for herself. The king start to see her with a different light.

credit  to the owner

And she still has time for this LOL

credit to the owner

Since the king has fallen for the queen,

I believe their night interaction will become more interesting than before right?:shaq:

credit to the owner

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Blob 2

@aisling thanks for explaining this to me, i guess i was a little sensitive too because i have previously considered how the ending which i preferred could possibly be interpreted as advocating a heteronormative agenda. anyway i didn't want to leave it unaddressed since it's a completely valid concern and i think it's good that this is being discussed (this may also be the intention of the original novel/drama's writers anyway).

interesting that that's how the novel addressed the whole switcheroo. that's something pretty out of what i would imagine tbh, and not in a bad way. just based on the k-drama alone, i guess we haven't seen enough of the queen to know if she was uncomfortable with her body before the switching incident happened. assuming the flirting scene was reality, i interpreted her flirting with a man in a way like, how bong hwan (who is currently still portraying a masculine straight man) was flirting with women in joseon. in a sense that she likes men and being in a more liberal society allowed her to pursue sexual/romantic relationships of her choice? hearing your explanation of the original novel does make me curious as to how this drama interpret the story, it'll be nice if they somewhat followed it. i agree with your point about how gender and preferences aren't fixed, and the prevalence of heteronormativity definitely sometimes limits how we perceive our own sexuality. it would definitely be quite ground breaking to discuss these topics respectfully on mainstream television, but given the conservativity of media in this region plus with the running joke of bong hwan and his attachment to his er, manly parts... i won't hold on to too much hope lel. (kdrama gods, pls feel free to prove me wrong)

on a lighter note, im really excited for what's to come now with all the theories going around. not just with the relationship between the king and the queen, but also the secrets surrounding the queen, concubine, and king. honestly these weekends dont come fast enough... ARGH shin hye sun and kim jung hyun are driving me nuts...

• Like 4

hi... anyone have the link to watch it live...:Pandabulous:

4 hours ago, aisling said:

omg same as what i was thinking ... in the end the king will love Bong Hwan and am sure he will love him back... so why not leave it like this... or they will use the reincarnation storyline that Bong Hwan was the Ssoyoung in the past life & they will meet & have their character & history shared between them... but to switch to normal that i will really hate to see...

• Like 4

The more they show the backstory of So Yong, the more invested I am about her. At this point, I honestly don't care about the romance -- whether it'll be Bong Hwan in Queen's Body & King, or real Queen & King, or same soul of BH and SY. I know we are still far from the conclusion of this drama, but I just really want to see that the real So Yong gets her happy ending, whatever that may be.

Anyway, I find it interesting when during the end, we hear So Yong's voiceover after Bong Hwan's when they are talking making up for each other's weakness and saving each other.

• Like 6

I am also more interested in the real SoYong's story. When she told the concubine, that she, too, will lose something precious, I don't really think she meant the king. In the flashback it shows that she was prepared to become the queen, and yet she seemingly easily wanted to give up her position as the queen. 

Of course there are a lot of puzzle pieces still missing: What did the concubine lie to the king about? Why and when did So Yong attempt to kill the king (without his knowledge, but the concubine knows and hasn't told him about)? 

And the preview shows that SoYong is in Bong Hwan's body enjoying the modern world. A nice twist, which explains why he couldn't return to his body. 

I really enjoyed the scenes between MrQueen and the kitchen staff - I really have a soft spot for the Royal Chef, the poor cynical guy, and of course Hong Yeong and Court Lady Choi and Mr Queen dancing in the rain while they try to cover her up. I enjoy it far more than the scenes between the concubine and everyone else. So far she either looks teary-eyed or glaring in all of her scenes. It's funny Mr Queen tries to find favour with her, and yet doesn't understand the contempt shown by the concubine towards him. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

I am more and more intrigued about each one's back story we're not halfway through so I am getting impatient (in a good way ofcourse). LOL

I watched ep 6 through live stream today and it looks like the King is determined to focus his attention on his Queen as his wife. I just cant trust Hwa Jin and Prince YP one bit, Hwa Jin especially. I can't say more because I didn't even understand everything that they were saying lol

Spoiler

It looks like the BH is returning to his body but he was dying so his soul went back to the Queen's.

• Like 1

Just watch the raw episode, and the queen collapse and from what I understand from the royal chef that he has no breath because in the modern world BH was in cardiac arrest, and based on the preview I think the king is genuinely concern to his wife. 

• Like 5