[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

44 minutes ago, immorethant said:

My personal opinion.

The producion team and the beginning of drama already stated clearly that the drama is fictional and the characters and events are unrelated to historical events. Also they already presented this drama as 'fusion' + 'comedy' + 'sageuk' drama , they didn't say or try to sell it as a sageuk 'based on true story with accurate historical fact'. I think most audiences can distinguish between comedy vs reality.

Another thing I want to point out is that Bong Hwan is the character who represents the view of us audiences in the modern time on how we sometimes look back to our own historical cultures, because of time differences or our lack of enough understanding, at first we may find it wierd or ridiculous the way Bong Hwan felt. But I believe in the later episode when Bong Hwan spends more times in that era and gradually transformed to be So Yong, he/she will becomes appreciated the value and nostalgic beauty of the past cultures. I think that's also a thing that this drama wants to add. 

Well said @immorethant Chingu ...  (I like your profile name:D too)

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Mr. Queen: Episodes 1-2 Open Thread

by missvictrix

Queen0102_1.jpg

Mr. Queen is here, and so far it’s every bit the crazy ride we expected. In its opening week we meet our hero, follow his magical mishap, and then join him in a world of Joseon mayhem. It’s wacky, it’s bawdy, and the hijinks are only getting started.

EPISODES 1-2 WEECAP

Queen0102_2.jpg

Our drama opens with a pretty frank picture of our hero JANG BONG-HWAN (Choi Jin-hyuk). After his awesome comedic performance in Zombie Detective, it’s fun to see him here, even if it’s just a cameo. Bong-hwan is a top chef at the Blue House, and though he might be ultra talented, he’s also totally full of himself… and he’s such a player!

Just in his few minutes onscreen, we see him checking out every woman that’s breathing, whether it’s a love affair in the kitchen supply room, or blatant sexual interest in every woman that passes. He gets in trouble with the law, and in a crazy scuffle, winds up falling from his balcony (but he’s not above checking out an attractive woman on his way down).He smashes into a swimming pool, cracks his head open… and this is the moment where the body swap begins. After a random underwater kiss with a woman in hanbok, though.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/12/mr-queen-episodes-1-2-open-thread/

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

On 12/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, immorethant said:

My personal opinion.

The producion team and the beginning of drama already stated clearly that the drama is fictional and the characters and events are unrelated to historical events. Also they already presented this drama as 'fusion' + 'comedy' + 'sageuk' drama , they didn't say or try to sell it as a sageuk 'based on true story with accurate historical fact'. I think most audiences can distinguish between comedy vs reality.

Regarding the issue about the original story was from Chinese writer who is anti-Korean, it has nothing to do with the content of drama. 

Instead I think this drama's trying to present a lot about historical Korean costumes, foods, royal manners, wedding ceremony, political conflict between Andong Kim and Pungyang Jo clan. Everything may not be 100% correct becaust it's a comedy drama, but it helped made more people interested and want to know more about Korean cultures.  And also the production, story and especially acting in this Korean version are far better than the original. I think Korean people should be more proud that their country has many talented actors and production teams to make a good drama like this from original low-cost drama to achieve this kind of love and attention worldwide.

Yes, the production team already stated clearly at the beginning of drama that the drama is fictional and the characters and events are unrelated to historical events. I don't have any problem because when I'm watching historical dramas whether they are Eastern or Western, I understand that they are not to be taken seriously like documentaries so I just take them as a entertainment values.

But there were already 763 complaint from local netizen with just the 2 episodes airing. And since I'm curious with the Korean comments on the tvn drama channel in youtube, I'm translated some of their comments on the clips of episode 1 and 2 using google translator to get the rough understanding of their comments. Of course, google translator are not 100% accurate, but I can say that many commentators feel offended/insulted and feel that this drama trying to taint or give bad image to Korea history. You can read their comments there yourselves.

What I actually want to say is, it is possible that this drama will get edited and some scenes will be cut out for later episodes. Of course I don't want that happen, but if that happen I hope at least the drama plot and scenes will not be disjointed or become weird.

The local netizen complaint about sexual innuendoes remind me of the drama Backstreet Rokie controversy.

https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/hollywood/backstreet-rookie-controversy-over-6000-complaints-filed-against-ji-chang-wook-kim-yoo-jung-starrer-544734

https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/hollywood/backstreet-rookie-receives-warning-kcsc-over-provocative-and-inappropriate-scenes-553619

Both dramas are not the same though. There is a scene of underage female high school student kissing an adult male stranger in the Backstreet Rookie while this drama is about two adult couple that already married so I don't think the sexual innuendoes is the main problem.

Still, I don't understand why this drama production didn't just use fictional character for royal like King, Queen and Queen Dowager? Less problem for sure especially with those funny censored 19+ scenes LOL

Ngapa Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

But no matter what of course I will watch and support this drama until the end. Shin Hye Sun and Kim Jung Hyun acting skills and chemistry together are daebak!

I already imagined their mutual romance scene in my head since our king catch our queen from falling with his arm LOL

credit to the owner

johnny depp ship GIF

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, enzek said:

Still, I don't understand why this drama production didn't just use fictional character for royalties like King, Queen and Queen Dowager? Less problem for sure especially with those funny censored 19+ scenes LOL

Intereting question.  Why ? 

I think the reason they used real historical persons is that the writer intended to have Bong Hwan uses his history knowledge to make some impacts or change the course of history.  So the queen can have more parts in political plot and still maintain the attention as the key person. That's the thing lacking in 'Go Princess Go' which after the queen became more feminine I found her character became quite boring. 

They also chose to use the weak puppet king Cheol Jong because they can create more interesting character by giving him dual personality. He is smart but he has to hide his ability. It's different from the original Chinese version that everyone in the palace knows the king is smart and is skillful warrior but that made him quite a bland character.

Being appear as weak person and has lots of enemies in the palace requires Cheol Jong to find allies and later he will find it with So Yong when her knowledge proves useful. It's interesting to see the king and the queen being the same team fighting both Kim and Jo clans together to gain true power.  I think in later episode it will be less 'comedy' but will become more of 'fusion'.  

I agreed that those 19+ censored scene of the queen dowager probably crossed the fine thin line of some audiences.  But in the overall the reference to historical figures is still important to make the story and characters more serious/interesting and not too much absurd like the original version.

Spoiler

The more I think of it...

Is it possible that...

It's all planned by tvN to make all of those controversies. 

There are lots of complaining in 4 different issues from just only 2 episodes, it's not normal thing.

And today tvN came out to make apology statement and promise to delete those scenes from replay service, but they still emphasize the theme of this drama as 'fusion', 'fantasy', 'comedy'. 

And from now on .....

- the supporter will always support

- the neutral will know about this drama and eager to watch to see what makes the controvesies like this

- the hater will also watch because they want to check if there will be any more scenes to complain.

It's the twist of twist of twist :lol:

• Like 10
  • Blob 1

** I translated the news article which was published before the latest announcement from the production team. 

PS  a good chance some parts might not be conveyed accurately  sorry :)

SDruV9k.jpg?1

tvN'Mr. Queen' is suffering from various controversies, such as the hating Korea controversy over the original work, distortion of history, and lack of gender sensitivity.

On the 15th, it is reported that over 700 complaints have been filed at the Korea Communications Standards Commission because "Mr. Queen" distorted the real person and history and degraded the existing cultural heritage.

Spoiler

In addition, the Pungyang-Jo clan association(org by descendants??) expressed displeasure, saying that Queen Shin-jeong, Jo who is the real character of the Joseon Dynasty, was distorted as a superstitious character in the drama.

In fact, in a recent broadcast, Queen Shin-jeong, Jo, used amulets in a superstitious manner, and presented a cursing amulet to a royal concubine who was from the same family.

In the broadcast on the 13th, the line, “Even ‘The Annals of the Joseon Dynasty’ is nothing but mere gossip” was on the chopping board (meaning, put under fire /unpleasant fiery gossip/out of favor)
It is pointed out that ‘the Annals of the Joseon Dynasty’ which has been registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is released worldwide through the global OTT channel, and the disparaging line about it is not appropriate.

In addition, there were opinions that the gisaeng's place "Octa-jeong" in the drama is reminiscent of the club Octagon, where last year's gang rape incident broke out, and the main characters' lines are also full of sexual harassment.

“Mr. Queen” is based on the original Chinese web drama “Go Princess Go,” which was based on a novel “Go Princess Go” by a writer, Xian Chen who used derogatory words about Korea  several times in this novel.   She became controversial in Korea.   Prior to the broadcast, the public showed uncomfortable feelings about the author who showed a disgusting disposition in the original work. “Mr. Queen” was criticized by some for dramatizing a work by such a writer.    Conscious of this, director Yoon Sung-sik drew a line at the production presentation, saying, "Only the setting that the spirit of a playboy male entered the body of the queen was brought in the drama".

Currently, the production crew of tvN's "Mr. Queen" are struggling with various controversies.

“Mr. Queen” describes the story of the Korean Casanova Bong-hwan entering the body of Kim So-yong, Queen Cheol-jong during the Cheol-jong Joseon Dynasty. In the first broadcast, “Mr. Queen” made an average rating of 8.0% in EP1, and achieved in EP2, 8.8%.

https://www.dailian.co.kr/news/view/946718/?sc=Daum

**if anyone is interested

Queen Shin-jeong: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Shinjeong

Cheol-jong of Joseon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheoljong_of_Joseon
Queen Cheor-in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Cheorin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Blob 1

I’m really enjoying the show as it is...a good fictional story.  Shin Hye Sun is really a talented actress.  Her actions are so on point.  And I love Choi Jin Hyuk’s cameo.  Such a pleasant surprise as I didn’t read the news of this show beforehand,

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

I'm really liking this! I'm picky about humor, but so far it's all worked for me. Historicals are my favorite genre, so I'm enjoying the moments spoofing the standard scenes we see. The queen visiting the gisaeng house and only getting accepted when she confidently plonks down money, then all the ladies fawning on her, was particularly funny to me! Shin Hye Sun is doing a good job with the body language and demeanor of a modern man without it being over-the-top cartoonish.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Hi! I answered the poll but my #1 theory for question 1 is not there. I think the king used to have feelings for Soyong, but there was a misunderstanding that made him believe she was just trying to help her family betray him. Every time he talks about her he sounds very emotional and I see that he's hurt when I look at his eyes. I think he's so desperate to have the concubine by his side because he's trying to create a barrier between Soyong (now BH) and him. He doesn't want those feelings to mess with his decisions. That's why his friend told him not to let his feelings get in the way when he hesitated and couldn't fully draw his sword in the gisaeng. 

I've noticed that the number of views on the MQ channel on Naver have increased a lot and the number of subscriptions keeps going up. Maybe this means the show will be fine.

I personally find the reasons for the scandal quite ridiculous. The producers only bought the copyrights (of the WEB DRAMA) because they wanted to use the male soul into the female body idea without getting into a plagiarism scandal. The anti-Korea content was in a completely different novel by the author. Did knets really expect the producers to read all the material written by the original author before purchasing the copyrights when they only wanted a small part of the WEB DRAMA? 

The dialogues were inserted within a context, and interpreted within that context, there's obviously no intention of stating that SK history is a lie. It's fiction and I only see it that way. 

• Like 8
  • Blob 1

Today I read a post from Korean webboard that interpreted and explained the meaning of opening intro.

I don't know if it will be accurate to what will happen in the drama.

But I think there are many interesting points, so please allow me to share here. 

All explanation and gifs credited to original writer of this post.  :heart4:

https://gall.dcinside.com/mgallery/board/view/?id=dramaqueencheorin&no=1403

(spolier alert)

kvxXV79.gif

The scene showed the past of young Won-Beom (Cheol Jong) alone in the well.

He fell into a well when a child, facing difficult situation alone.

And a flower petal (So Yong) was falling to Won-Beom in that well, probably to rescue him.

V5ECPfK.gif

The first appearance scene of Choel Jong will flower petals falling down is similar to what happened to him in the well.

Ueeb55y.gif

Cheol Jong noticed the falling flower petal on the head of So Yong. This could mean something.

Probably seeing petal always reminded him of the incident when he was young.

Spoiler

0DAXNzu.gif

The scene from teaser, Cheol Jong had a nightmare and in his sleep he embraced (someone in his dream) and said "You save me 'again' (네가 또 나를 구했구나)"

What did he mean 'again'?

So he was saved once in the past and he was dreaming of that person.

(Remark - Probably he was saved by So Yong, however, later he was sent to GangHwa Island and didn't know who she was. But when So Yong met him again when she was selected as a queen she might recognize him and fell in love with him. I think if Cheol Jong knew who she was in the past then he will feel sentimental with her. Probably the scene at the lake, So Yong might tell him about the past and his feeling started to change but because of her late cruel behaviour, he still didn't know which one was her real personality and had conflict on if he should love or hate her).

From the casting news and IG, both are child actors who took the role of young So Yong and Won Beom. So there will surely be the scene telling their childhood story in the drama.

zFyRky7.png

YhBpmi2.png

uGJROdv.gif

The next scene.

Plate with pattern = Palace

Water in the plate = Lake in the palace

Petal floating on the water on the plate = So Yong who fell into the lake in the palace

Au2cHbv.gif

This scene showed egg-topping rice bowl on a white plate in the center of the table, and also steak on a square wooden plate, meaning of So Yong (Bong Hwan) who is a chef but now he was in conflict between traditional Korean and modern culture. The surrounding food are also means people who surrounding So Young in the palace.

The life in palace of awaken Bong Hwan was expressed here with metaphor of cooking/food, and he also overcame the difficulties with his cooking skill.

JgsCT32.gif

An arrow shot by So Yong/Bong Hwan went pass through the table and the food.

Table = Palace

Modern Food = So Yong/Bong Hwan

Palace Food = Palace People, Palace Life

So Yong/Bong Hwan, who shot a big bow and overcame the many difficulties of life in the palace

9E30BNC.gif

The moon floating in the night sky = Won Beom/Cheol Jong at night with a lot of troubles

gGc5t0K.gif

The scene changed from Cheol Jong/Won Beom at night to a scene with the moon and the sun floating around.

Moon = Cheol Jong/Won Beom
Sun = So Yong

It also expresses the Won Beom who led a different life between day and night

And with influence from So Yong, Won Beom was gradually changing and growing into the true king Cheol Jong.

bYg5oRB.gif

Eventually the moon (Won Beom) and the sun (So Yong) merged into one.
All misunderstandings and conflicts were resolved and the two eventually became one.

It is a total solar eclipse where the moon and sun become one.

And no need to explain, it also means the merging of Bong Hwan's soul and So Yong's body.

It turned out that the day Bong Hwan and So Yong fell into the water was a total solar eclipse. So the souls may swap back again on the day of the total solar eclipse.
(Remark - this sentence I translated from original post, so I'm not sure it's just a metaphor of solar eclipse or the solar eclipse was actually happened on the day that So Yong fell into the lake).

It can be interpreted that at the end the love of Cheol Jong and So Yong is possible.
And Bong Hwan went back to his time safely.
(Remark - This one also from the original post , but in my opinion another possible ending is that Bong Hwan completely transformed into So Yong and in love with Cheol Jong like in Go Princess Go).

rWS1OpA.gif

The last scene.

Queen Cheorin surrounded by flowers and butterflies.

Giving hint of a happy ending.

(Remark - I think butterfly also represents transformation or rebirth. It can be interpreted that Bong Hwan transformed into So Yong, or it can be the original soul of So Yong comes back and after conflicts with the king resolved then reborns into sweet and nice person ? Only way to know is to keep watching until the end !! ).

Again, all credit to the original post.

:heartxoxo:

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Blob 1

That is such a beautiful interpretation! Thank you so much for sharing @immorethant:love:

I really look forward for our royal couple comradeship and how they cooperate against those enemies around them:kiss_wink:

Spoiler

Poor So Yong:tears:

Can't wait for this part!

credit to the owner

The bio of main cast in this status is informative too:

credit to the owner

I don't know why must controversy happen to this wonderful drama.

I really wish they won't cut out any scenes as they originally planned for this drama, pretty please!

ncaa football please GIF by ESPN College Football

2 more days to see our royal couple slaying onscreen again!

credit to the owner

The King and his Mr Queen:lol:

credit to the owner

Spoiler

credit to the owner

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 2

The controversy is dumb....its a reimagination and dramatized fiction based on real characters...Its fairly common...A few years ago there was Abraham Lincoln: The Vampire Hunter, a movie..then there's The Crown on Netflix, Victoria on Amazon, The Great on Hulu...people need to lighten up

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, partyon said:

Anyone know if the ML Kim Jung Hyun has abs?

I are just wondering if we can expect any abs scenes in this drama. It's a valid question. :joy:

I don't know whether he has abs for this drama. Let's wait for his fight scene and oh-my-the-main-male-lead-is-bleeding-so-now-the-main-female-lead-will-tending-him-and-that-the-blossoming-of-their-romance/bromance-yahoo! to see whether he has abs in here or not LOL

For research purpose:

Spoiler

Anyone that found the same scenes in his other dramas, you can share in here too LOL

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

15 minutes ago, enzek said:

I don't know whether he has abs for this drama. Let's wait for his fight scene and oh-my-the-main-male-lead-is-bleeding-so-now-the-main-female-lead-will-tending-him-and-that-the-blossoming-of-their-romance/bromance-yahoo! to see whether he has abs in here or not LOL

For research purpose:

Hide contents

Anyone that found the same scenes in his other dramas, you can share in here too LOL

oooh @enzek ooooh @Ameera Ali 

oooh @enzek  ooooo @Ameera Ali

oooooo @partyon

That King?  That's him ... he has?!   Please tell him I am HAPPY
And I like how that girl was gawking and peeping at him ....in the 1st clip

Is she the same girl in Uncanny Counter?!  The one that kickbox?

oooooo  again

• Like 2
  • LOL 3