[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

1 hour ago, kenchickenchi said:

WOAH so this one was drawn by ST? As this was shown on the upcoming episodes.

I think it's different but from the same artist.

Maybe in this drawing ST will have only him n KT in the picture, since now ST is possessive over KT, he wont draw them together

hopefully later the story resolved and ST will draw the three of them tgt and use that drawing. ;)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kenchickenchi said:

WOAH so this one was drawn by ST? As this was shown on the upcoming episodes.

107494405_161464498778189_2393573845947691176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_eui2=AeEdnpuudTs4lqXhgs-DU_y5sOhvMFHEgGqw6G8wUcSAatTI8nhNUi5JVkuc0utNEQg2BvTVoZ7VTY76za4X3jC3&_nc_ohc=pZjcJRxcqGMAX-dPX0w&_nc_ht=scontent.fmnl4-6.fna&oh=32249a3f36e234268958f17df464b900&oe=5F31EDF1

oh wow what a great easter egg you you both have found! the picture on instagram does look a little different (same concept but different drawing) so maybe MY isn't included in this one but will be in the one in the future as @Not Me is saying. It would be nice if the three of them were in this picture from ep 9 tho. my wishful thinking, but maybe this picture is towards the end of ep 9 when ST is warming up to the idea of the three of them together forever haha :D 

• Like 4

Hii I've been lurking here for a while now. And it's such a delight reading your analysis.

But I think I just need to get it out of my chest cause it's bothering me for a while.

Disclaimer: I think I'm being shallow here since I shouldnt really pay attention to ratings and such..

I watched something and saw that KSH's goal for this drama is 15%. And I think IOTNBO is doing great otherwise! It's #1 in Netflix KR and a lot of people are watching it via TVing.

But I cant help but feel bad when I saw the ratings every other episode which is stagnant... I dont know what I really should do.. 

I know that everyone knows that KSH is an A lister. Hence, he has various hit dramas. For SYJ, I really really really want more people or the general public to be aware of her..... 

I know I shouldnt dwell on things like this haha but I'm feeling sad otherwise. 

Do you guys also quite feel the same thing?

• Like 4

Episode 9 written preview. Credits to instagram account @_ayachk! I wasn't able to attach the screenshot as i have no idea how! haha

"KT is going on a trip with MY. After having a good time on his first trip, KT gets a phone call from an unexpected person. Meanwhile, ST's dream of KT leaving him behind makes him feel uneasy" 

Curious as to who this unexpected person is! Also my heart is aching for ST but we saw this obstacle coming from ep 7/8. Hope it doesn't get dragged past ep 10 though and ST is comforted and starts accepting MY as part of their life! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, heartoppaya said:

So the random singing and the head nurse being good to Hyung would probably be used as a hint while all arrows are pointing at Ok Ran as MY’s mom. I’m pretty sure now that I’ve read your thoughts, that Ok Ran is just a mysterious character who’s curious about the novels. Maybe she used to be a journalist. 

Ok Ran’s character brief

She used to be an unknown theater actor. She was not given the chance to recite a line, so she repeated plastic surgery several times. The more that happened, the lower the self-esteem and the higher the sense of inferiority. She continued to hurt herself, trying to show 'I' (the real me?).  She is a huge fan of Do Hee-jae's "The Murder of the Western Witch" series.

Given the fact that she’s had multiple plastic surgeries, she may well have been someone in MY’s dad’s past but is now not recognizable to either MY or the dad.    Potentially she could be someone who is seeking to torment MY’s dad for his past treatment of his wife?  

• Like 4
  • Insightful 4

7 minutes ago, zvahl said:

Hii I've been lurking here for a while now. And it's such a delight reading your analysis.

But I think I just need to get it out of my chest cause it's bothering me for a while.

Disclaimer: I think I'm being shallow here since I shouldnt really pay attention to ratings and such..

I watched something and saw that KSH's goal for this drama is 15%. And I think IOTNBO is doing great otherwise! It's #1 in Netflix KR and a lot of people are watching it via TVing.

But I cant help but feel bad when I saw the ratings every other episode which is stagnant... I dont know what I really should do.. 

I know that everyone knows that KSH is an A lister. Hence, he has various hit dramas. For SYJ, I really really really want more people or the general public to be aware of her..... 

Hi, also almost the first time posting here.

Regarding the 15%, I watched the press conference, and KSH was obviously joking. And that was actually referring to the rating for the first episode, in which case 15% was almost impossible. My limited knowledge of KSH (I am trying to know him as much as I can) also suggests that he probably does not have a goal for rating (otherwise, he would not have chosen IOTNBO. After all, he has broken all kinds of records with ratings in the past already.

I was wondering/worrying about the rating, but then again, why should we let other people's preferences influence how we  enjoy this drama? I think the main reason behind the rating being what it is now is that the main target group of this drama is not the same group who would watch (paid) TV. I'd like to think that the production team does not really expect or care too much about the  high ratings to begin with. Because if they do, they would have inserted a kiss scene already, given that this is the type of scene that will create buzzes. Instead, they are moving the drama in a pace that suits the healing process and the story telling itself. 

So I am not sure if I make you feel better. But I think IOTNBO will stay with us for a long time... and that I am grateful for. 

• Like 7
  • Love 5

On Costumes, Nudity & Sexual Harassment

Just like how parents demanded Zombie Kid to be banned, knetz were furious over scenes that showed nudity and sexual harassment. That’s because, in KMY’s words, “those idiots can’t read the actual message that’s hidden behind the letters”.

We know that the costume director has put in a lot of effort designing the costumes for this drama. Indeed, I think there’s a deeper meaning to nudity, as well as the clothes worn in the drama.

Everyone in the hospital wears a uniform, which identifies them as a staff or a patient. This immediately skews our perception of them. Also, all members of the staff are labelled “OK” with a smiley face iron-on patch, like a stamp of guarantee that they’re okay. I’m personally very wary of such labels, especially when applied indiscriminately.

Spoiler

50108201827_e7a9de2811_o.png

In ep 7, KMY drew a smiley face on the car window, suggesting that she’s okay. The scene was cut before the smiley face faded away, which seemed to be a positive sign. But it also resembled the drawings that appeared on frosted windows, which then seemed somewhat ominous.

Spoiler

50107959761_a8343075c7_o.png 50107959851_f437114b4b_o.png

The mayor’s family were all wearing the political party’s uniform, which represented their social status and their collective identity as a family of lawyers. Because Gido wasn’t smart enough to become a lawyer, he didn’t belong to the tribe and was hence rejected by the family.

Spoiler

50107392178_5912449f74_o.png

By exposing his body, Gido was displaying his genuine self in the most crude and raw form. He wanted his family to see him and accept him for who he really was. Inspired by Gido, GT imagined himself naked and dancing away happily. He longed to strip himself of all burdens, and reveal his true, unrestrained self.

50108202187_7b84621d4c_o.png

Unlike Gido, GT was facing away from the eyes of the public. Gido wanted everyone to look at him, while GT wanted to be free from other people’s judgement and expectations.

GT wears two types of clothes. At home, he wears plain and cheap 1+1 tees which embodied all the sacrifices he has made for ST. In the hospital, he wears the caregiver uniform. Of all jobs, why did GT choose to become a caregiver?

I believe GT’s sense of self-worth was defined by his mother’s words, “Your job is to look after your brother and keep him safe. Okay? That’s why I gave birth to you.” Taking care of ST became his reason for living. This shaped his identity, which eventually extended into his professional life. Whether at work or at home, GT is The Caregiver.

Underneath his clothes are all the scars he has accumulated over the years. It’s worrying to see him put himself in dangerous situations time and again to prove his worth as a caregiver, be it to ST or to his patients. The scars are also symbolic of his emotional wounds. And so, it was meaningful, on a meta level, that KMY saw his naked body in the changing room, when he was neither ST’s guardian nor a caregiver.

Spoiler

50108202252_c6f9438afd_o.png 50107392443_c05a5984e5_o.png

KMY is different from everyone else because she’s not a patient, so he is not obliged to care for her. Because of her condition, he also doesn’t feel obliged to wear a fake smile for her. As a result, his smiles were always genuine. Hence, I don’t see KMY as a burden to GT. Instead, she may help him experience true joy in caring for others.

GT has been suppressing himself because of his identity and obligations as The Caregiver. This explains why GT was overjoyed to be suspended. But what about his role as ST’s caregiver? I think ST is more than capable of taking care of himself and living independently. Slowly but surely, he’ll learn to become more independent, emotionally and physically.

In the same way, KMY’s drenched see-through dress exposed her vulnerability and her painful past. She is always wearing glamourous, fanciful and over-the-top dresses. She’s like a porcupine, her clothes serve as an amour to conceal her fragility and to protect herself from others.

Spoiler

50107392603_343420fa88_o.png

Something that really bothered me is that, even at home, she is always wearing high heels. They are like shackles, hurting her feet and weighing her down so she is unable to go far, just like the Cheerful Dog.

50107392698_5a537d4d79_o.png

I suspect the reason why she’s always wearing heels is because of her mother. She was barefooted when she walked down the stairs and discovered her mom’s body. She still remembers how her mother’s warm blood felt like against the cold wooden floor.

50108202582_16739d357d_o.png

It’s interesting to note that she was barefooted when GT came to find her at the end of ep 4. She was also barefooted the whole time when she cut her hair, and when GT trimmed it afterwards. And from the preview, it looks like she would be wearing more comfortable shoes during their excursion.

Spoiler

50107392868_a6448d638b_o.png 50107960606_a52f459a13_o.png

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 16

18 hours ago, madmad min said:

His Trauma made him convulate and merge the 2 concepts which Led ST to believe that BUtterflies are what chasing Him because they killed their Mum

Thanks @madmad min because this made me think of something. In the earlier episodes, we actually saw ST passing by murals of dinosaurs and he would actually see them "coming alive". I am not sure if it is trauma or related to his developmental disorder causing some kind of overstimulation leading him to see static graphics as moving and alive. I am not sure if this means much as we did suspect the butterfly to be an ornate object or pattern the murderer was wearing but I guess from ST's eyes, this butterfly object might have appeared as some large, moving and alive butterfly overwhelming his actual vision of the murderer's appearance. So when the police questioned him on what he saw, he was indeed describing what he saw and very likely his developmental disorder caused him to be unable to see the real identity of the murderer. I think it would be helpful if he saw the object/pattern once again. That might trigger the same visuals in his mind.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 6

I simply love the drama too much. 

I don't really have high expectation for Kim So Huyn's acting in this drama. Personally I have never noticed his acting before; probably because his roles weren't what I was interested in while watching his drama.

In this drama, however, for the first time I truly notice him. In the beginning, the character of MY attracted me because it was such a breath of fresh air. I couldn't help but be drawn to her character that I didn't really pay attention to Kim So Huyn's acting. But as the drama progress, I found what I always look for in acting: subtlety. Small changes in facial expression that can speak volume way more than words and the eyes that can act like windows to the show. 

The character of KT is someone who suppresses his desire; so far he basically has lived for other people, not himself. Even his smiles are not for himself. He even has to control his expressions for the sake of his brother. Without subtle acting, this character cannot be brought to life like this. How I love KT's smile towards MY, so genuine. MY is someone who is frank to tell her mind and do what she wants (and really loud in making herself heard); Seo ye ji does it very very well and has a commanding presence on screen but it takes a good companion who can help her shine and still make himself shine in his role.

Because KT suppresses his feeling so much, when he finally lets it out, he is like an exploding bomb. Strangely, as much as I love Kim So Huyn's subtle acting, I love the scene where he basically screams at the manager equally the same. So natural in pouring out his emotion without going overboard (overacting). Kim So Huyn really balances it well here. Episode 7 and 8 actually seals the deal for me: I like Kim So Huyn's acting in this drama a lot. 

• Like 10
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, zvahl said:

First, I'm not good in English so I tried my best to give comment

The first time I heard Kim Soo Hyun's new drama is healing drama, I knew the rating won't high like his old dramas. I think healing drama, this kind of genre is not too popular for Korean audience. They like family drama, romcom, or saeguk.

Healing drama It's Okay That's Love, I heard people like and praised it a lot but the highest rating only 13% on SBS.  My Mister by IU received critical acclaim and praised by Korean audience but the highest rating only about 7% on TVN,  so IOTNBO has 5-6% actually it's quite good.

And IOTNBO popular in Korea and some countries so don't worry about rating. It's not that bad for healing drama. 

Psycho is okay, Netflix global ranking

Netflix TV Shows Top 10

It's Okay To Not Be Okay’s Ranking in TWENTY THREE COUNTRIES 

NO 1 in 8 countries and it's Top 6 TV Show on Netflix in the World Today

IMG_7692.jpg?type=w800

IMG_7693.jpg?type=w800

108010382_1324690317863014_3684582096016

• Like 10
  • Love 3

The fight scene was hilarious.. if i was GT i dont think i can coped with ST and MY behaviour.. GT is extremely patience with both of them. But for the first time in beauty and the beast episode I can see GT rage!! It makes me wonder again who is beauty and who is the beast! Even the jealous part when GT scolded CEO its funny coz we can see GT rage of frustration

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1

Shall we start a new poll on KMY shoes, or her bag or her accessories or which ep will be the first kiss or who will initiate the first kiss? I must be crazy over this drama!  :please:

credit: The Travelling HopiaEcqYOv9UMAAwNaq?format=jpg&name=largeEcqRmr6UMAA6_O5?format=jpg&name=largeEcvXn9tUwAIkzw8?format=jpg&name=largeEcvnm1XUMAA29TN?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 10
  • Shocked 2
  • Love 4

KimSooHyunShi PH and Int FC send coffee truck support to the actor on set of “It’s Okay to Not Be Okay”

What used to be just a wish finally came true!

This project has been made possible with the joint efforts of KimSooHyunShi Philippines and KimSooHyunshi International FC.

Planned in March 2020, the project only took 1 month to be materialized.

Eventually, after 4 months of dedicated hard work, the efforts exerted by the teams behind the project paid off as the coffee truck finally reached its intended destination on July 11, 2020.

The coffee truck support project included a special message for our dear Kim Soohyun which says:

We love and support you our King Soo Hyun!

We take pride in this accomplishment and may our dear Soo Hyun-shii and the entire production team feel our love and support for the show through this project.

https://annyeongoppa.com/2020/07/13/kimsoohyunshi-ph-and-int-fc-send-coffee-truck-support-to-the-actor-on-set-of-its-okay-to-not-be-okay/

263bedd2934afed91502aafe28f1228d43693acbr1-2048-1100v2_hq.jpg?w=780&is-pending-load=1#038;ssl=1

0e606df03da8950a2f30044ed9dfbcc77e2396e6r1-2048-1056v2_hq.jpg?w=780&is-pending-load=1#038;ssl=1

4067010d21f6a48c0246a7303a654e7ea5d130bar1-2048-1122v2_hq.jpg?w=780&is-pending-load=1#038;ssl=1

• Like 9
  • Love 3

Thanks to most of the viewers that already given their expert views in this thread.  I really admired the writer using traditional fairy tale as an analogy to share the moral of the story.

Each story symbolizes a key hidden meaning which all started with "HOPE" - means everyone is longing to find one:

1.  Zombie kid - warmth love

2.  Cheerful dog -  set free

3.  Beauty and the beast - true love

The three simple stories are relatable and applied to everyone who is longing to achieve those in this modern society. What i like about this three stories, they have something in common : It is a journey that CROSSING OVER FROM PAIN TO PEACE. This journey requires psychological healing and self-growth. Conflict becomes unavoidable. I hope the healing for KT & MY & ST is the result of feeling safe, empowered and supported, and i hope the writer will allow them eventually find their own peace.

I am not sure the writer will continue giving us another profound tale in the upcoming EP,  but one thing for sure,  I am enjoying each of the traditional fairy tale that carries a meaningful message.

• Like 11

I don't watch a lot of healing movies or dramas. But this one really lives up to its description as healing.

As the drama progresses, I take a look back at the poster where KT rests his head on MY's shoulder. In the beginning, it's MY who tags along KT and demands having him as her safety pin - but more like an object. Gradually, it's KT who needs her as well as he need someone to constantly push him out of comfort zone, make he acknowledge things he doesn't want to admit himself and help him open up what is penned up inside. He protects and comforts her with his back hug but he also seeks solace in her presence.

MY's impulsive and volatile but she can see through people well. She has a way of helping people release their emotions without trying to be nice. Instead, she acts like a coldhearted psycho all the time. She helps the senator's son have what he called the best day of his life because he can now say what he truly wants to say. It's notlike she acts without a selfish motive but she does help ST realize his dream of becoming an illustrator by acknowledge his as the best one. She takes away the shawl to help the lady relieve of her burden and finally learn to let go. She is ready to fight even with just a rock in front of the abusive ex-husband. And she constantly makes KT realize what a suppressing life he has been living, wanting to break free and getting loved. I like how her character progress without losing its original color. She changes to the better without losing what makes her special to KT. She becomes more attentive of his feeling and finally admits to him that she is hurt, showing her vulnerable side to him without hiding anymore.

I don't like the way she talks and behaves towards other, honestly. Her tone is harsh and impolite; her actions can be very rude. It can be interpreted as a defence mechanism, a mask that hide her vulnerable self or a product of her upbringing. Still, really out of norm. SJJ's voice really suits the character in this case. It is such a relief that KT sees through that and becomes more and more considerate of her. Honestly, he really puts up with her behaviour a lot and starts to think for her, from her POV much more. I am impressed with MY character but I am really looking forward to see the days she can soften her behavior towards other. So far, she kinda acts normal and sweet in front of KT only.  It is ok even if she will not become completely normal because she is special in her own weird way but it doesn't hurt that she at least talks more polite to people who truly supports KT so far, right? (his "chicken friend" or his "landlord", for example). 

• Like 11

Hello Guys!

How are you doing?

Anyway, watched this weeks episodes - I'm just really happy on how things are progressing with the story and characters. 

I can tell KT is beginning to loosen up a bit. When he....punched AR's ex hubby in defense of MY,  OH MY GOD! I screamed! 

MY does have sticky hands. If KT doesn't punch that guy, AR's ex might have serious head injury....

For me, they seem to be each other's safety pins. KT can calm MY and MY does understand KT in a way that sometimes even KT is surprise MY knows. He lost it when he sees someone hurt MY. I mean thats how relationship works sometimes,  I got mad and frustrated and my bf is the one that makes me calm down and talk sense with me lol :D

I love how they portray MY's "caged" life with her long hair.  MY looks really happy and refresh :D

About the preview

Spoiler

- I think Ms Park has something to do with MY's mom maybe a fan ...

-  Who will KT choose - Family or love?

• Like 3