[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

Daebak! The stylist must have altered the length of the skirt to suit KMY's character. :D

EcvTZsQUcAEedrv?format=jpg&name=large

BTW, did anyone notice that MY's nail colour has changed to a pastel shade of green? Glad that they toned down her nail colour to suit her new look!

• Like 12

Wow. It keeps amazed me in every way! This is what I feel every time I've done an episode of IONTO. 

Oh the jealousy! I feel like this episode is perfectly plot so well in reverse. You see that some characters are doing a parallel scenes one after another here. First it is MY who imitate to cut the leash which held her tight all these years. She starts daring herself to fight her fear, her usual pattern that being nurtured by her mom since she was young. It's not an easy job to do but she did take the first step to escape from her past trauma. KT always felt less loved but thanks to MY he got all the love extremely overflowing. MY only looks at him and he can't even hide his true feeling anymore. What MY said is right. They're well matched. She's a ticking bomb and he's the safety pin. They complete each other. He knows that MY is more precious to him even more now. Unlike last time, he just yelled to stop her fight with ST, I love how he comes to check on her and asked her if she was okay. 

MY is like a trigger for him. What KT did might not just a spur of moment or a mistake like JR blamed. If he didn't step in to hit AR's ex husband, MY is all gear up with her big stone to hit him on his head. Even it ended him up with a suspense. But it means like a freedom for him. He free himself by cutting her leash, KT leash is him being suppressed with his own feelings. 

I feel a bit sad for ST in some ways. He feels like he will lose KT's love. He feels like he is less loved, he sense that KT is falling for MY so hard each day. You see how good this drama making such a beautiful parallel here. It's what KT always feel toward him and mom and now he feels it too.

"If I give all I have to others then what left for me" "she can have MT not KT" 

ahh... look how little ST inside is afraid that KT won't love him as much as before. He was ever asked who he loves more, KT or MY. And it's clear what is the answer now here. He loves him more. Seeing the fight is making me laugh at the moment. Whoah. Reminds me of fight siblings of SYJ with GKP in Potato Star. Lol.  Next it's reversed, we got preview episode that ST ask KT with the same question he ever get. Whether it is him, his hyung or MY the one he likes more. I wonder will he tell the truth or lie again to try to calm his insecurity. He shouldn't cuddle him anymore. Treat him more to be an adult cuz ST seems more sensitive than he thought. Like he can read KT's feeling even his face expression tells him the other way. 

Oh, I see JS is much cooler in this episode! Did he have a crush with that female art director??? Hahaha. I like how quick he stops the CEO from hurting her. And fill a water to her glass. All I can say he's cool!

JR's mom is such a nice human being ever! I love how realistic and wise she is in dealing with her daughter's matter. She's the most okay person among all those not okay people.

We always got MY inspired us with her reality perspective but it's interesting this episode it's her who learn from the fairy tale persoective, a love of hope. A love that slowly change her. A love that moves her coldness inside. And a love which will make her to be much okay. It's also beautiful seeing how the hospital romance helps KT to realize his feeling over her. Ah.. what an epic parallel. Love this part.

Ok, I ended it here. It becomes pretty long. Waiting for next weekend excitedly. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

MY: How do i look?

KT: You look pretty. 

ST: Long hair suits you better.

KT: Why? She looks better with short hair.

ST: No. No. No. She looks 100 to 1000 times better than when her long black hair used to come down all the way to her waist. Why do you cut your hair?

Personally, I think she suits any style! The short hair makes her look fresher and younger although I do miss her long hair too. :D:D:D 

EcuQ1LAWAAAchCt?format=jpg&name=smallEctpqzJVAAE4kP1?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 14
  • Love 2

21 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

To be honest,i found that exchange...awkward and i was wondering what it signified. Your interpretation is better but I did wonder why did the nurse suddenly want to talk to ST or show him the flowers...

I find it once again "not accidental". The nurse is actually a bit odd to me in general - she is acting very familar with the hospital's director, giving him advices on lots of things (mainly KMY-related); she is acting close to MKT, she is also now getting close to MST. On top of that, she is the one to seemingly "know" the most of what is going around in the hospital (with the ghosts, etc). And she is the one being the most suspicious and observing when it comes to KMY's father. So, she is not just a character - I am pretty sure she will play an important role later in the drama. Maybe her "getting close to MST" approach actually hints the direction in which this character will prove vital. :unsure:

• Like 12

I really appreciate how the show puts everything with a purpose, especially when it comes to the visuals. I've been longing for a kind of show that portrays one's emotions in that manner. And it came through, with Ko Moon-young who is portrayed by an actress who is willing to go through the hassle of having hair extensions, in the episodes where she hasn't cut her hair.

I wonder if this is the reason why the staff are not posting stories or photos with her recently. They wouldn't want to spoil that because it was one of the most powerful moments in the show. 

At this point, I don't really think much about the rating of the drama. I understand that the perception of Korean viewers is important. BUT considering the turn of events, I'm really starting to think that the drama was meant for either an international fanbase or to win award shows. If their priority is domestic ratings, they would have toned down KMY's character to that of Jang Man-wol. JMW was fierce on her own, but she didn't show any action or say anything that seemed worthy of being complained as sexual harassment.

We're only halfway through the show, but it's already garnering a lot of support from the international audience (as seen in the Netflix ranking). CLOY, TKEM, Itaewon Class, etc. are all good, but IOTNBO is probably one of the few Korean dramas that can keep up with Western shows that tend to show and use more mature language. If anything, I would say this is the perfect balance between the sensual scenes of Western series and the lack of it in a lot of Korean dramas.

• Like 12
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

Like seriously where do we begin???

KT/ST/their mother - WOW! It's interesting how KT had been so angry with his mother and had pretty much blamed her for how he felt he was treated when he was a child. But in reality, when Juri's mom asked him to give his mother some slack because she was a single mom raising two boys alone, one of which had special needs. He was able to reflect on the love his mother actually did show him. I think his prior impression of his mother were his suppressed feelings of having to be responsible for his brother all of these years. KT has suffered and sacrificed mightily over the years. As bright and handsome as he is, he could probably be anything he wanted. But, he ended up having no choice but to be a caretaker because it is a hard working job that doesn't pay much. Sacrificing every single thing that could potentially bring you joy in life for someone else is exhausting and emotionally harmful. So, as a coping mechanism it was easier to just blame his mother who may have depended on him a time or two too many when he was younger and not recall all of the times she spread herself thin trying to be there for both he and ST.

MY/the manager - At first I didn't quite understand her relationship with him. He acts like more than a publisher/manager. It is clear that he has felt the need to step in and be whatever he thought she needed at any given time. I don't think he is a bad person and even he is getting some much needed time away from their prior schedule. He is able to live in a warm home, get home-cooked meals and he likes someone. The assistant is just funny.

OK Psychiatric Hospital - This place is more than meets the eye. Yes, they are in the business of trying to rehab people who are dealing with mental health issues, but these patients have created a family. There is hope here. I really enjoyed the scene where KT was speaking with Areum's boyfriend and he informed him that they both planned to get better so that they could leave and freely love each other. The director is fair and uses unconventional ways to treat his patients. He is also very observant and seems able to read people in many different ways. The head nurse is interesting, I am curious as to what role she will eventually play. And maybe it was me, but it seemed like she was eager to make sure KT was punished/suspended for what happened at the end. Is there a reason HE needs to be away from the hospital?

KT/ST/MY

I was laughing out loud at MY and ST fighting over that doll. They are both fighting for possession of KT and they are willing to go the distance for him. I think initially ST was leery of MY because he knows how suppressed his brother is, but then later I think he saw how much his brother seemed to like her and then he got worried. No one knows about KT's sacrifice more than ST. ST has been kicked out of countless vocational programs. He has affected his brother's employment and because of how society often treats people with developmental issues, KT has had to bite his tongue and let some things go probably for fear that his brother would be taken away and thrown in some facility. The sad reality is right now, ST doesn't have anyone else like KT, so MY taking up any space is a real threat to his stability. On the other hand, where does that leave KT? Just like ST questioned, if you give up everything, what will you have left? He needs to ask himself that in regards to his brother. KT has seen and experienced just a little bit of love and already you can see him changing. When he hit Areum's ex after he slapped MY, for the first time he stood up for something and someone and it felt really good. That is why he was immediately accountable for it. He didn't ask for forgiveness or make any excuses. He knew what he did and he owned it. That scene is probably where ST looked the most worried. KT never even did that for him. Him punching that guy and getting ready to beat him down was like a confession. Then the first thing he did when he came to himself was to go to MY and make sure she was alright. It was such an open declaration of love. This was a full circle moment for him. When she saved him as kids, it was probably the first time someone did something for him without him having to do anything first. Now as adults, she is saving him again. Saving him from the heartache he has been carrying for years because he never felt free to do anything for himself.

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

15 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@Msgreentea

I also agree the way Sang Tae is acting out completely contradicts his words. I think he's tryin' in his own way to wean off of his co-dependence on Gang Tae.

Yes, I agree. I also mentioned this from back in episode 6 when ST had that outburst about ST owning ST, KT doesn't own ST. It's about his independence and identity, despite his disorder. We will see more character development from ST in the coming episodes, which I think is about time as everyone else had more character development. And the relationship starting from this point on between KT and ST will change. In episode 8, there is this conversation between MY and KT after MY's fight with ST when she asked KT how he's able to bottle up his feelings so well when she couldn't: 

KT: If I just suck it up, nothing will happen. If I let my emotions get the better of me without thinking about the consequences, ST and I wouldn't have this kind of relationship. Keeping it all inside and enduring it, is the only way I can protect ST. 

Now that KT punched AR's abusive ex-husband because of MY and let his emotions out, didn't care about the consequence (his suspension), this will be the beginning of change in the relationship between KT and ST. 

I actually see MY and ST as more like siblings and their interactions are fun to watch. They play together, ST shared his rice with MY, bicker over KT's love and attention, and fight over toys (even if MT is really doll KT). There is more fair ground between them. KT is really the mother figure here. He cooks, he cleans, he sews, he cuts hair, he is a provider and a giver...unconditionally. Now that this is halfway of this drama, it would be nice to see KT start to experience the childhood he missed out on and for ST to experience more of what being an adult is like. Because really, if it's not for ST's disorder, a lot of how he treats KT is pretty abusive. How is beating the crap out of KT acceptable? And he did it more than once. 

• Like 8

'Psycho, but it's okay' World wide popularity is better

World wide popularity is considerable.

TVN Saturday drama 'It's okay to not be okay' starring Kim Soo-hyun and Seo Ye-ji is gaining popularity not only in Korea but also in Asia and South America. 

At the present time, the ranking of platform Netflix, which has overseas viewers from 190 countries, is quickly becoming a measure of world wide popularity, 'Psycho but it's okay' on the 13th, ranking sixth in the worldwide ranking of TV shows related to Netflix. 

Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Philippines, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand and Hong Kong ranked first, second in India and fourth in Japan. It is also spreading to Europe. The popularity of Russia (8th) and Ukraine (10th) was also on track. Due to the popularity of South America, it has entered the top 10 world wide rankings. The popularity of Honduras, Nicaragua, Peru (6th), Chile, Panama (7th), Mexico, Paraguay (9th), Bolivia, and Brazil (10th) is soaring, and it has become the center of global popularity in Asia, Europe, and South America. 

Although previous works such as "Itaewon Class" and "Force of Love/CLOY" are very popular, they are only available in certain countries. "The King: Lord of Eternity' starring Lee Min-ho and Kim Go-eun" ranks 7th in the world rankings and is the highest record of Korean works. But 'Psycho but it's okay' broke this record. JTBC 'ssangappocha' also ranked 9th in the world wide ranking. 

'Psycho but it's okay' is still popular in Korea. According to the drama topic provided by Good Data, it has been ranked first for three consecutive weeks. In addition, in the topic of drama, Seo Ye-ji is first and Kim Soo-hyun is second.

The CPI index, which is based on data collected through the Broadcast Content Value Information Analysis System (RACOI), is also did not give up the first position for 2 consecutive weeks. The ratings are also well maintained. It consistently maintains the national viewing rate of 5 to 6% (Nielsen Korea's national standard) and holds the top spot in channels including cable and  integrated channels  at the same time. 

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/241/0003037911

http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=23824017

0003037911_001_20200714075811123.jpg?type=w430

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I think part of the reason why shows like WOTM and Sky Castle soared in Nielsen ratings (compared to IOTNBO) is because of content and audience, to be honest. The protagonists of both of the two shows center around middle-aged, married women in Korea and highlight very relatable social issues in Korea these days (e.g., pressure to "Keep up with the Joneses" and send children to SKY universities) so I am not surprised that the Nielsen ratings, which are based on folks watching TV at home in Korea (likely part of the 40+ age group) are very high for these shows. Of course, I forgot to mention the obvious: the shows are masterpieces, so the ratings are indisputably well deserved too.

IOTNBO is less "relatable," at least on the very superficial level. How many folks in Korea are children's books writers with a dark past and grew up in a castle? Probably few (if any!). That being said, I personally believe IOTNBO is super relatable as it deals with a lot of family / emotional / psychological issues that everybody deals with, to varying degrees... hopefully this show continues to impress viewers, new and old! 

• Like 5

This drama is a very deep drama with great acting from the casts. It's hard to believe the laughs they were having in the BTS. KSH is like a small kid behind the scene but I can barely see any traces of it ON screen....Kudos to him!!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

It’s Okay to Not Be Okay on VOD Real Time  NO 1 on July 13

Real Time [ranked on the basis of the number of sales per hour on July 13] 
Basically, from the broadcast of the eighth episode to the real time of 7/13 per hour, It’s Okay to Not Be Okay is ranked first

59e054fbgy1ggq7grfo2pj20u0194jwl.jpg

Daily list [ranked on the basis of the number of sales on July 13] 
It’s Okay to Not Be Okay is the first place 

59e054fbgy1ggq7gugw3yj20u011itct.jpg

Weekly list [based on the number of sales from July 7 to July 13]
It’s Okay to Not Be Okay is 3rd place

59e054fbgy1ggq7kn7obwj20u0193gqg.jpg

In addition to home choice on another website that provides VOD, It’s Okay to Not Be Okay is also the second place in the weekly TV show list

More pic

Spoiler

59e054fbgy1ggq7qglv6cj20u019kq9x.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1