[Drama 2020] 365: One Year Against Destiny, 365: 운명을 거스르는 1년

0ly40

3 hours ago, ainipang said:

Im skipping few part of this series..anyone care to tell me why the 10 are chosen for the reset..and why the villain want to reset?

don't skip, this is really good. your questions are the fun part guessing in the story

-------

I did not expect it, but this drama is now in my top 5. really interesting plot and execution. I tried watching the japanese version midway while waiting for episodes, and this korean adaption really did a good job in changing the story. masterclass in writing I must say. daebak!!!

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good ending, although I wished that we would have seen HJ acting with one of the former resetters. We were only seen how he managed to change all their fates by arresting Hwang and SH. Yet, BTJ needed help for his sister and as such, it would have been great, if we saw how HJ could change another fate.

As for Hwang, I assume that he became like SH because he had lost a goal in his life. First, he was suicidal which proves to me that he saw no meaning in his life... just like SH who got his promotion but felt empty deep down. Furthermore, the fear of losing his promotion due to an accident made him think that everything was futile and pointless. Hwang got entertained, when he saw he could toy with people's life. SH got thrilled, when he got aware that he could kill without getting caught. It was the same for Hwang.

Oh boy where do i start..

The thing I loved the most about 365 is the pace of this drama. Time traveling mystic thriller not the easiest genre to handle, yet this drama did it quite well. It just gets better with each episode, it makes you extremely curious about what will happen next. Soo many plot twists, so many gacha moments. We have new twists in every episode. If you think you guessed right, you probably didn't. I definitely didn't. 
Imo the 12-episodes format was definitely good choice for this story. I feel like if this had been a 16-episodes drama, the plot would've gone lost at some point. 
One of the biggest achievement of this drama for me  -  male and female lead - Ji Hyung Joo and Shin Ga Hyeon. Well them and definitely impressive cinematography.

HJ and GH what a powerful duo! Outsmarting everyone, defying time, fist bumping and dying for each other - that's theirs jam. There wasn't no classical drama romance tropes, but their relationship was something else entirely. And in the end i think it’s showing that it’s their fate to always meet with each other. The rest for them to decide.

EWu9CPFXkAUVbEE?format=jpg&name=large 
I also have to shout out to the supporting actors performances because, without an excellent supporting cast, this show wouldn't be so good.

EWstKwEVcAEobMF?format=jpg&name=900x900

Overall what a ride, what an adrenaline-induced roller coaster ride))

Hats go off to the amazing screenwriters, director, actors, and the whole crew, who was behind this great show in these uncertain times. Bringing our jows down in spite of covid and all.

And thanks for all of you for the recaps, bts materials and theory making - this ongoing was fun :wub:.

P.S. 

See some of you soon in Secret Forest 2 tread))

15 hours ago, triplem said:

Gosh , I think I’ll miss this pair .. I think they hv sweeter moments BTS :joy:

Their final words ..,k nets ask for S2 but with romance as they like this pairing 

I'm glad to know Knetz also wanted to see a little romance between the two :wub:. At least the BTS showed those sweet moments.

Thanks for the recaps @triplem ~

4 hours ago, 000231846597 said:

Haha thank you for this fun BTS information!

You are welcome ~ I also saw it on Twitter. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I don't think I have a friend like you. A friend who's willing to travel back in time to save me. I can at least make one friend who would before I die, right?"  ~GH

"You have me. I'm on my way."  ~ HJ

I knew that GH's words would be somewhat a foreshadowing that's why I love the ending. Some fates may change but GH and HJ meeting is absolutely their fate... may it be before or after the reset, they're meant to meet :blush:

I also  agree that Professor Hwang's background is a little lacking but nothing is perfect. This would certainly without a doubt one of my fave K-dramas. Gonna miss uri fist bump couple the most and their dynamic :heart: Hope to see them reunite one day in a romance one :rolleyes:

ezgif-com-video-to-gif.gif 

32 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Yet, BTJ needed help for his sister and as such, it would have been great, if we saw how HJ could change another fate.

Given HJ did try to help, he can only save the lady from further family abuse. Not much he can do about the liver transplant. Not much HJ can do much to SeRin either. She was quite mentally sick for long. The prisoner that had killed SH in 6th reset, I believe, has still managed to kill the procescutor and judge before being arrested by HJ as the original timeline did [so as not to arouse SH and Hwang's suspicion while lying low and collecting evidence against them].

Even with the aid of 1-year reset, it is impossible to control everything and play god; things can go astray, corrupting one's mind and get one addicted to multiple resets till one slowly lose humanity like the professor. I trust HJ already did what he can to minimize the damage/ deaths.

I liked these last two episodes because it had to wrap everything up and was quicker to process to the main points (pacing was a bit uneven in the middle episodes) and I am glad that it wasn’t an open ended ending.I also liked the last scene between our two leads and yep, if they ever star together again in a drama - I would watch it! I do feel that they are beyond regular friends at the end here but didn’t mind the light romance aspect of the show. The connection between the two has always been there and strong. Not surprised about the old man because for a while now I was like there needs to be some more explanation about this guy and then boom! 

Spoiler

I agree that Dr LS got off so easy! She also didn’t do much to help anyone but herself as usual. Even when GH saves her daughter’s life, she waited how long before telling GH about Sung Ho going there to kill them? Sure the writing was trying to say she didn’t think fate could change but then it is ironic that she kept on resetting and hoping that her daughter would live. I guess the train didn’t derail this time? Or will it still do but this time with them on board? I wasn’t clear about this. Help? 

I also like that our lead when back and reset only himself and did the work solo lol without involving too many unnecessary ppl to make things complicated again. 

Overall, it was a good drama. 

@stella77 About LS: she took the train that was supposed to derail... since we never know the identity of the 2 victims, LS and her daughter could be the ones who died. However, there is no guarantee, maybe LS and her daughter belong to the survivors hence in my opinion, she decided to leave her destiny to the unknown. She always thought that her daughter was destined to die at the hospital, however she was always murdered... here LS thinks that if she dies, then she will have a reset and live with her daughter for another year without remembering the trauma of her death and at some point, she might take the train and the tragedy really occurs.  

21 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@stella77 About LS: she took the train that was supposed to derail... since we never know the identity of the 2 victims, LS and her daughter could be the ones who died.

The train derailment happened on Jan 1, 2020. The date LS and her daughter had the train ride would be after Jan 9, 2020, the date GH got killed, since HJ met LS after GH's death; she never managed to take her daughter to the ride in previous resets since her daughter was always hospitalized after LS made the promise, and died on Dec 21, 2019.

In short, the derailment is a red herring and not relevant to either the death of LS or her daughter.

Wonderful people on this thread,

Thanks for 24 episodes of camaraderie in riding this roller-coaster!

*spoilers follow of course*

Really glad they Edge-of-Tomorrow-ed it and had Detective Ji reset to right the wrongs :lol: So GH was the one to do the noble sacrifice, thank goodness it was the key to changing fate. Cheered when HJ popped out to apprehend first Prof H then SH with resolve written all over his face B) Wonderful touch that it was not about the path taken, but the commitment and lack of fear to face the reset. Beautiful. (Though my partner nearly spoiled it by shouting at the screen when HJ reached the fork "Check Google Maps!")

I agree it was a breathless sprint to the finish, but they dotted the i's and crossed all the t's... @bebebisous33 Indeed there could have been a little bit more payoff in the lightning last reset... Also @tinymel I understand they are taking orders for a Director's cut DVD, and there may very well be a better paced version. So hopefully they will get critical mass.

@keyta , love the fanart you linked! And absolutely shall see you in SF2 where our LJH drinking game shall continue...

@lightbringer06 Yes, the actor playing Prof Hwang did well. I really have respect for all these mature actors, Kim Ji-soo included. @taeunfighting @000231846597 I absolutely agree with you on Lee Shin. Her character remained self-serving to the end, but Ms Kim did a fantastic job portraying that grief and internal conflict.

@triplem , I really dig that you recapped in such detail, do you know how hard it was *not* to give into the temptation of reading your fabulous recaps before watching and getting spoiled :lol:

Hurrah for all the amateur detectives on this thread and another drama satisfactorily concluded.

I’ve been a silent lurker since day 1 and I’ve enjoyed reading all your theories and insightful messages. I’ve watched the japanese version a while ago and the story is totally different except for the fact they were offered a chance to travel back time to 1 year ago. 

There was romance between the leads in the jpn version :

Spoiler

The girl even got pregnant. But I don’t remember clearly the rest, I think she didn’t want to make another reset because she wanted to have the baby. But because of an incident, she later lost the baby. There were no serial killer, no LS. The explanation was just that they died because of fate. The one who proposed them a reset was a man (who looked like the director of the movie Parasite lol), he had an accomplice. The lead guy had a female stalker who blackmailed him and was obsessed with him. 

The ending was worst than here :

Spoiler

The lead guy dies. Then the girl goes reset, meets the bad guy who also had a reset and was not arrested. She then goes to the lead guy’s home but he doesn’t remember her, she was disappointed and then just walked away so it was kinda frustrating.

Anyway the korean ending is definitely better and the story is better too. So I’m quite sastified. I will miss the leads. I’ve really liked Nam Ji Hyun and Lee Joon Hyuk here, I’ve only seen NJH in Angel Eyes, and LJH in City Hunter. I hope that they will have good projects after this drama.

Hope to see you all in another great drama thread! :D

PS : Except for some dramas, I’ve always felt that a 16 epi drama is too long with uncessary dramatic problems and fillers, especially for romcoms. I usually lose interest midway. 11-14 episodes is good, like for Go back Couple, Age Of Youth, Bad guys, Avengers Social Club, Circle...

10 hours ago, 000231846597 said:

I am not a fan of fillers, but the drama does need 1 or 2 episodes more to tie up the loose ends more nicely

Oh this is a much better way to put it. hahaha 

I will always be impressed that they were brave enough to cut it for the benefit of having incredibly tight story telling.

Hi, watched this drama because of namjihyun. Really one of under-rated dramas. Since the genre is more to thriller, so i didnt expect they would end up with any romance. Anyway, Kdramas always have this exceptions, lol. Planning to watch the japanese version later.

Ive got 2 questions here, if anyone can help answer:

Spoiler

In earlier episodes, if im not mistaken LS told HJ he was killed by the prisoner for the past few times she went for reset until the round where she let all alive is when the prisoner killed SH so HJ didnt die but in the last ep they revealed HJ died together with GH at same time and place? meaning what LS told previously was a lie ?

So when HJ at the fork to choose the path to reset...does it mean both paths would actually lead him to reset or how? both prof hwang and HJ didnt cross to each other when taking the path but both are able going back to reset...is it because they both have the so called no fear so they will succeed to reset no matter which path they choose?

@AC95 Awww... thanks for the mention dear ~

Here's a  BTS of the cast saying their farewells :D

Spoiler

I think I'm gonna have a hard time moving on from this one :( Btw, I didn't realize that Nam Ji Hyun is just '95 liner, haha... she's a dongsaeng to me. Lee Joon Hyuk turned 36 in March but their age gap wasn't that obvious to me, probably because NJH looks mature than her age. 

Ty for this bts @lightbringer06  I'll will miss them dearly. 

And especially those two..

giphy.gif

I mean i love our main couple, our power duo. But those two, i was so invested in their bromance.

Well.. before all this stabby stabiness. And after the big revelation i was the saddest panda.

How could you SH, i was rooting for you :tears:

P.S.

Plot thickens :D

@keyta I was super sad about the bromance too. It was set-up to be a good plot twist though. Crazy how in SH's delusional mind, he was trying to justify not hurting HJ again by planning not to get caught with his serial killings in the next reset. If I remember correctly, I believe @AC95 had a theory that LS and SH might be married so the revelation above is funny. :D

By the way, have we discussed the very last scene with the yellow sports car driving on the path of the reset? Does it look like someone might be on their way to resetting? The writer is such a tease.

I am with everyone. Will miss these two on and off screen...

8 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

By the way, have we discussed the very last scene with the yellow sports car driving on the path of the reset? Does it look like someone might be on their way to resetting? The writer is such a tease.

It did seem that way. But the HJ we are familiar with is already living his life the fullest he could in the 8th reset timeline and will not be in the 9th timeline, so I don't care much about the whereabouts of the 9th reset timeline. :glasses:

15 hours ago, AC95 said:

Wonderful touch that it was not about the path taken, but the commitment and lack of fear to face the reset.

Personally I am not convinced by this, I expect a more "scientific" explanation. I am honestly buffled when I saw HJ's car first going right, and then return to the Y junction from the left.

15 hours ago, AC95 said:

(Though my partner nearly spoiled it by shouting at the screen when HJ reached the fork "Check Google Maps!")

Haha if there was google map in 80s, Doc would not have to invent this :grimace:

This drama was a thrilling ride from start to finish I'm glad I watched it. I almost wish we got a second season with another group of resetters, I mean this road is there and someone we'll end up finding it even if it's in 10 or 20 years... 

Anyway it's such a cool concept it's fun to imagine different scenarios with different people (not everyone can be as awful as Mr Hwang lol).

6 hours ago, natokajun said:

In earlier episodes, if im not mistaken LS told HJ he was killed by the prisoner for the past few times she went for reset until the round where she let all alive is when the prisoner killed SH so HJ didnt die but in the last ep they revealed HJ died together with GH at same time and place? meaning what LS told previously was a lie ?

So when HJ at the fork to choose the path to reset...does it mean both paths would actually lead him to reset or how? both prof hwang and HJ didnt cross to each other when taking the path but both are able going back to reset...is it because they both have the so called no fear so they will succeed to reset no matter which path they choose?

For your first question, I think with each reset, there is a little bit of change in fate. We’re only shown two timelines of HJ. First time shown to us, SH was killed by the prisoner, because Prof planted the idea to him that it’s better to torture HJ with hyung’s death as revenge. HJ was supposed to be killed by later by the prisoner but he was offered reset by LS. Second timeline shown to us was that HJ managed to save hyung and put prisoner back behind bars. Thus he won’t die the same way. But how LS knows GH and HJ will die in same day, I have no idea since it should be a new first-time happening. Maybe just because their death is planned that way by Prof? 

Second question. My thought is simply that they don’t have to cross each other. Prof was already driving on when HJ was still at the fork thinking which way to take. Maybe they just missed each other by seconds....??

2 hours ago, 000231846597 said:

I am honestly buffled when I saw HJ's car first going right, and then return to the Y junction from the left.

I didn’t see the car returning from the left... it was from the right.

Archived