[Drama 2020] 365: One Year Against Destiny, 365: 운명을 거스르는 1년

0ly40

13 hours ago, natokajun said:

In earlier episodes, if im not mistaken LS told HJ he was killed by the prisoner for the past few times she went for reset until the round where she let all alive is when the prisoner killed SH so HJ didnt die but in the last ep they revealed HJ died together with GH at same time and place? meaning what LS told previously was a lie ?

In the original timeline + the first 5 resets, HJ was not killed by the prisoner in the beginning. LS told HJ [at around 60min00sec of episode 10 or 19-20] that actually every attempt of the prisoner trying to kill HJ failed and HJ was able to arrest the prisoner. It was only by the manipulation of LS & the professor in the 6th reset did the prisoner choose to kill SH instead, this time successfully. That would explain why originally HJ and GH were meant to be killed together later by SH.

6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I didn’t see the car returning from the left... it was from the right.

HJ's car was shown to be heading to the right side of Y fork [around 55min42sec of the finale episode 12 or 23-24] when he drives to reset.

eKCroXd.jpg

But when HJ was later arresting the professor, the flashback of HJ [around 58min00sec of the finale episode 12 or 23-24] showed the car heading back to the Y fork junction from the left before arriving at a cliff. So I am confused.

CfwSK9I.jpg

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess some Chinese viewers also wanted a Season 2 ~

@000231846597 That is indeed confusing. When I was watching that scene, I thought, well, maybe there isn't just one fork road there.. because I remember HJ saying, "It didn't matter which road I took, They both gave me a chance as long as I wasn't afraid" when they flashed that scene (your second photo). So I assumed perhaps there were other roads he had to choose from aside from the first one. Or idk, maybe it's an honest mistake on the director's part, but I don't think that's the case :)

I keep getting waylaid to finish the drama.  I watched ep23, still have yet to watch ep24.  So what I can gather is that for the reset to happen, one of the number has to have a death wish?   Hwang found out how to reset when he was down in the dumps and wanted to die (in his interchange with SH whilst fishing).  In that first reset, he meets LS and her daughter (presumably through her treatment at the hospital and Samo Pharmaceuticals).  He gets his secretary to kill the daughter by injecting the drug.  And with each subsequent reset, he repeats the process.  He needs LS to have a death wish for the next reset to happen.  So her daughter must die in each iteration.  Now that her daughter is alive because GH saved her, LS no longer has a death wish.  Certainly SunHo doesn’t want to die, he just wants to quit being a fugitive and rectify that with the reset...I think he probably still would want to kill but now that he has foreknowledge, he can manipulate things to prevent prosecution (at least for 2019 murders anyway).  Hwang now needs someone other than LS for the reset to occur (she no longer has a death wish because her daughter lives).  Just like SuHo, Hwang just seems to like watching people die?  Like a predator toys with his prey before killing them?  :crazy:.  Anyway it looks like he’s trying to get on GH’s good side towards the end of ep23.  To be continued... :lol: until I get the chance to watch ep24.

4 hours ago, 000231846597 said:

But when HJ was later arresting the professor, the flashback of HJ [around 58min00sec of the finale episode 12 or 23-24] showed the car heading back to the Y fork junction from the left before arriving at a cliff. So I am confused.

His car is not returning to the original Y fork. The Y fork he entered, merging back into one road only at the end of the separated lanes, before then reaching the cliff. His car has to fly off the cliff for reset, if that makes any sense.

Look at it this way then... Ignore your Y mark in the box. Top picture is the car exiting the separated lanes. Bottom is the car entering the separated lanes.

CfwSK9I.jpg

eKCroXd.jpg

Yes I think the point was that it didn’t really matter which road you took, you had to have no fear of death.  Hwang didn’t fear it because he knew he would emerge the other side having reset so many times so he just took the same road he always took.  HJ didn’t.  He had to rely on LS’s version and she only knew up to the tunnel and she thought you had to pick the right road to reset.  But it wasn’t the road that determined whether you reset or not, it was the fact that (as @ktcjdrama pointed out) your car had to fly off that cliff (and you had to just not fear death).  HJ didn’t know if he picked the right road or not but he opted to take that chance anyway.  And it paid off.

I quite liked the ending but I would’ve preferred no yellow sports car at the end.  I wanted it to end with everyone just living their lives without having someone interfere with a reset again... 

Thanks everyone for watching the drama with me.  It was a wild but enjoyable ride. :lol: 

2 hours ago, nrllee said:

I keep getting waylaid to finish the drama.  I watched ep23, still have yet to watch ep24.  So what I can gather is that for the reset to happen, one of the number has to have a death wish?   

@nrllee I hope you have a chance to enjoy the finale soon, it moves really quickly (pity there was so little time) but things wrap nicely IMHO. I guess I interpret it as resolve rather than a death wish - of course LS and Prof Hwang were resolved to die at first, but subsequently they were just resolved to restart their lives. And of course HJ was resolved to save GH.  *edit* Snap, I think we posted around the same time so glad to hear you liked the ending!

43 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

His car is not returning to the original Y fork. The Y fork he entered, merging back into one road only at the end of the separated lanes, before then reaching the cliff. His car has to fly off the cliff for reset, if that makes any sense.

@000231846597 

@ktcjdrama explains the intent perfectly above, but I do agree that because they reused the road footage it does seem like he is travelling back the way he came. Maybe this diagram could also help:

365_diag.png

Feel the road is more of a visual metaphor and harking to @lightbringer06 's point, there may be a complicated route in between which mirrors ambiguity in life, but the fork represents choices and the exit point is about bringing your will to bear on the outcome.

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

Yes I think the point was that it didn’t really matter which road you took, you had to have no fear of death.

@nrllee  Yes. Exactly this. I don't think it's about technicality, and more about state of mind of reseters.

@AC95  Wow the map! I mean 

giphyLGHcool.gif.e0bdb49788de114b5f69928

52 minutes ago, AC95 said:

there may be a complicated route in between which mirrors ambiguity in life, but the fork represents choices and the exit point is about bringing your will to bear on the outcome.

Yep excellently sumed up, kinda beautiful concept.

And it's not a popular opinion, but i don't think 365 need s2. Imo this is the case when subtlety is the key. 

On the other hand I will not mind season 2 with a different concept, mb something like..

HJ and GH - guardians of time (man in black stile) - something like that))

35 minutes ago, keyta said:

but i don't think 365 need s2.

Yeah it would be weird with a S2?  Given the fact that it’s the same year they are repeating all the time?  It’s not like they can shift it?  And life’s not meant to be perfect.  Having a do over multiple times just because you want the perfect year doesn’t sit well with learning to accept what is and making the best of what you already have.  

It was a good ending now that I have watched it with subs...it made sense ( if we can even say that for such fantasy dramas).  I have watched a number of time travel k dramas and very often they start out strong and then end up so complicated that the writer has to break his own rules . At least I felt the person who adapted this from the j version had a clear vision of what he wanted , and it tied up quite well. Drama would have benefited from one more episode so that the ending was not so rush ..( and yes in my shippy heart , I wanted a bit more for the romance :lol:) . But I do like these 12 episode dramas - no unnecessary dragging! And agree with @nrllee @keyta...as much as I would love to see LJH again, the story did not have any loose ends. They can only do S2 with different cast and story line ( like the Reply series)

I really came to hate Hwang at the end ...while he was not responsible for the deaths of the resetters , the way he enjoyed watching them die , the way he manipulated Lee Shin and the assistant...he's no better than psychopath Sun Ho. It was the way he said it became fun for him that bothered me . While I understand LS's reason for going along Hwang's plans, I still felt very little sympathy for her. She is still an "accomplice" to me in a sense.

I think what was one of the strengths of this drama was the way they developed the trust and partnership between HJ and GH . While it may have not been an outright romantic sort of relationship or perhaps it was just a very deep friendship , I liked to think that there was affection between the two. That's why GH  did not think twice about shielding HJ ( I am a bit sad that the one time they held hands  and hug was when she died ...cruel writer! :tears:)  and in return he took the risk and resetted to save her again.  The ending was actually beautiful in some ways...but it also made me feel a hole in my heart as the memories of all that HJ and GH shared in the previous reset was the thing that bonded them. My main consolation is that in every reset...both were always drawn to each other and maybe in this new reset , they could have a stress free , happier life.

@taeunfighting yeah , I love LJH's versatility as an actor and that he is unafraid of going for different roles. But I think HJ is now one my favorite roles of his - he was a straight-up good guy that had no hang-ups, a fantastic friend and my dream detective. Also he did not lose some limbs and die , or became disillusioned with the system. And he was no doubt the lead with a lot of screen time :lol:  So rare to see him do these sort of dramas

@ktcjdrama @AC95but what i did not get was how Hwang chanced upon this in the first reset. He wanted to die  right?I can understand how the others could succeed resetting if it had to do with how much they wanted to go back to change their fates...

Subbed BTS

Spoiler

Final BTS from LJH's agency

Spoiler
Spoiler

7 hours ago, nrllee said:

I quite liked the ending but I would’ve preferred no yellow sports car at the end.  I wanted it to end with everyone just living their lives without having someone interfere with a reset again... 

I felt the same. The last scene with the yellow car was my only (but minor) gripe about the ending. Even at the very last second, the writer continued to tease. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, triplem said:

My main consolation is that in every reset...both were always drawn to each other and maybe in this new reset , they could have a stress free , happier life.

In my heart and mind, I believe this is true. The fact that they died together in the original timeline/first five resets would have to mean that they both had and have a fated connection. Maru included. :)

yeah , I love LJH's versatility as an actor and that he is unafraid of going for different roles. But I think HJ is now one my favorite roles of his - he was a straight-up good guy that had no hang-ups, a fantastic friend and my dream detective. Also he did not lose some limbs and die , or became disillusioned with the system. And he was no doubt the lead with a lot of screen time :lol:So rare to see him do these sort of dramas

I've seen his work since Stranger to 365 and can better understand your appreciation for his versatility now. Looking forward to seeing him in Stranger 2, but would love to see him in another HJ-like role again soon. As the lead and with lots of screen time. :D

what i did not get was how Hwang chanced upon this in the first reset. He wanted to die  right?I can understand how the others could succeed resetting if it had to do with how much they wanted to go back to change their fates...

Maybe it doesn’t really matters what’s in your mind... it’s a magic cliff... whoever dare to fly into it, will reset 365 days before that day. Would Hwang really know it can only be done on that particular date and time? Would he have tried it on other occasion to prove himself wrong? Probably not... So maybe, the magic cliff will just reset you whenever you dive into it. So there could be many other resetters around :scream: haha, never mind me... I am getting ahead of season 2.

3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Maybe it doesn’t really matters what’s in your mind... it’s a magic cliff... whoever dare to fly into it, will reset 365 days before that day. Would Hwang really know it can only be done on that particular date and time?

I think leaping off the edge of the cliff is ultimately the key/portal to the time travel which does take the person to have no fear and accept the possibility of death. So, in a sense, the state of mind does seem to matter which is a nice poetic touch. Good question on whether the reset can be only done on that specific date and time assumed by Hwang. Since he and HJ did not see each other on their path to the next reset (which seemed fairly long), probably not?

The reality behind this scene is just too cute...and funny.

Spoiler

thank you to those who replied my question previously

i just rewatched again the final ep, now i got it :lol:

Spoiler

so actually the 2 roads end up to only 1 same road to the reset, no matter he choose right or left he will end up to reset

the yellow car also kinda disturbing...haha i hope no season 2 coz the ending is just nice

Just finished the drama, wow love the ending. This ending is way better than the Japanese one, I just wished that they could show HJ visits all the other survivors, too. I mean now they’re safe and happy, maybe..

Still, I watched the original Japanese version before this, and it wasn’t that bad, just except the open ending over there (basically they took me there and left me hanging lol).. They had good plot twists, too and some surprises when they tried to find out who is killing them, the answer was simple but also shocking to me when they realized it was “fate”.. and here in the Korean version they already revealed it and more...

In a hard time like this, I think they did good job on wrapping everything in the end and opening a new chapter, this is the open ending that I won’t hate, though there were some confusion in the first or middle episodes, I guess need to rewatch them if not satisfying haha.. Still they worked hard for those artistic sets, angles, the editing..

And one more thing about SH, so I guess in the original life or the previous resets where nobody interfered or changed anything, he just killed two people in the end and got caught by the police? Or he just revenged HJ in his last shot? Anyways, as we see here HJ and GH are the at the end of the list, so the last victims.. whatever happened, he really got caught and made it to the news,  being a serial killer with his list of victims so that is how LS or Hwangs knew? But remember back LS said Serin case was still unsolved ? Or she just said that to make him find out on his own? My guess is if it wasn’t solved, Hwang was probably just bored and saw the news about Serin, decided to go back and tried to follow her on the time of the death to see who really killed her... lol Ah wish they have more scenes for these.. 

The ending of this reminds me of Todome no kiss, another Japanese drama about time travel, the girl also died for the guy, and the guy decided to go back in time to save her. However this one is a little bit more complicated since they also had parallel or alternative worlds/episodes where they told what happened after the two mains died (every time they went back in time, they died and created a new alternative universe, so imagine what happened after people went back for the reset here (?)..)

It’s a fun time travel drama too if you want more things like this.

Anyways it’s good to see JH as a lead role, I still mesmerized with him in City hunter haha.. And Nam JH is awesome, I was looking forward to this drama a long time ago when I first heard about it, since I like this time travel genre ^^

14 hours ago, rainbowwarm said:

Anyways it’s good to see JH as a lead role, I still mesmerized with him in City hunter haha..

Hmmm... Shall I watch City Hunter? Have not seen it, but my mom who's a big fan of LMH has been telling me to watch it for years. Looks like it had pretty high ratings. For those who have seen it, am curious to know if the storyline itself was good?

8 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

Hmmm... Shall I watch City Hunter? Have not seen it, but my mom who's a big fan of LMH has been telling me to watch it for years. Looks like it had pretty high ratings. For those who have seen it, am curious to know if the storyline itself was good?

In my opinion, it has good plot overall, it’s the classic old drama that you should watch if you can. I mean I would put it over an average drama nowadays but not like in the top anymore after watching so many dramas haha. Don’t get me wrong though, I just re-watched it recently again during quarantine time and everything is almost perfect, it’s just sometimes you may find it illogical now for a man to wander around and over the buildings without any surveillance cameras to catch him, something like that lol. Well, it’s a drama anyways and it didn’t affect me much when I first watch the drama haha.. Otherwise, you will like the suspense, the crimes, the thrilling that you want to know the ending, the plot twist was kinda genius to me, can’t stop watching.. Ah they also used apple products in there too lol, I almost never really see an iPhone again in a K drama, now 365 had them... lol 

Again, the storyline itself overall was not bad, I think it really deserved the high ratings at that time not only just because of the cast.. JH role appeared quite often too ^^ Many fell for him, the attractive prosecutor who almost made it T_T  

If you like JH, this is definitely a must-watch xD

The casts were cute, all of them fit their roles perfectly xD so many familiar faces and Rip Goo Hara.. so sad.

@ktcjdrama @taeunfighting @triplem Yes, there's a whole hidden rulebook on the mechanics of that cliff.

I like to speculate that Prof Hwang is a more accomplished time traveller than he lets on, and has somehow explored other possibilities including resetting beyond a year (which might then plant an insidious grain of truth to what he promised Ms Song about saving her daughter who died 3 yrs ago).

Still, having a very defined reasoning might spoil the show. It's kind of like when they tried to explain the Force in the Star Wars universe with midi-chlorians (what?!) :mellow:

@keyta I missed it initially, but thanks for letting us know about the Kim Ji-soo / Lee Sung-wook marriage connection. My mind is blown B)

8 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

Hmmm... Shall I watch City Hunter?

Putting City Hunter stuff under the cut in case it's off-topic:

Spoiler

I enjoyed watching selective clips of City Hunter. It's great to see PMY and LJH earlier in their careers, looking less polished and more cheeky (literally in PMY's case). As a Kara fan, it's also poignant to see Hara back in happier times; such a bittersweet feeling whenever she comes onscreen. But I couldn't watch it start to finish for a few reasons, pardon some subjectivity in the following comments.

As @rainbowwarm rightly says, it's of a classic era and isn't as sophisticated as all the excellent stuff coming out of S Korean entertainment now. The action scenes and cinematography look a bit clunky and dated. The story line is fairly linear, one or two twists and unexpected things happening but not all that cleverly done. In general I find the writing weak, appropriate for the era and genre maybe, but the way they build the relationships between the City Hunter, Nana, and pretty much everyone is awfully contrived. Ditto dialogue.

It also doesn't help that I own the original City Hunter manga and have watched parts of the anime (full cheese!) so my expectations are skewed. Also not a fan of Lee Min-ho; not him as a person, but I guess the kind of one-dimensional character that he has to play as a 'star'.

@taeunfighting

My sense is you are a more discerning viewer so I'd moderate expectations? 

On 5/2/2020 at 11:06 AM, rainbowwarm said:

The ending of this reminds me of Todome no kiss, another Japanese drama about time travel, the girl also died for the guy, and the guy decided to go back in time to save her. However this one is a little bit more complicated since they also had parallel or alternative worlds/episodes where they told what happened after the two mains died (every time they went back in time, they died and created a new alternative universe, so imagine what happened after people went back for the reset here (?)..)

It’s a fun time travel drama too if you want more things like this.

Oh my, yeah... it does remind me of Todome No Kiss, only the ML there isn't really likeable at first but at the end, he learned his lesson that changing the past will only lead to bigger, bad consequences. And that he did like a reset to right all the wrong things he's done.

@000231846597 Looks like MBC can't move on with our couple as well :D

Archived