[Drama 2020] We were in Love, 우리 사랑했을까

0ly40

The writer(s) lost his focus midway of the series, but it really fell apart over the last two episodes.  Too bad.  The saving grace for me was the side story of KPD and Gang Chan. They acted very well and their back story was engaging.  

As for my  beloved Song Ji Hyo.... I still love her and she's the reason why I am watching, but this ain't her most affective project.  Something feels lacking.  :mellow:  I also share many's opinion that her chemistry with ODO isn't within her "usual" level.  She has always been Miss Chemistry Queen with any man, but not this time.  

Also, I think someone correctly predicted a loveline between Sook Hee and KPD. :D  Their scene at the hospital was quite amusing.  

Haaaay.  I hope the last two episodes will make it up to us.  I sincerely want this series to end on a high note,  not a dismal whimper,  because I want SJH to earn everyone's praises.  (Am glad and proud that it's doing very well over at Netflix! )

Let's hang on!

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't able to watch the episode yesterday, so I watched episode 13 and 14 today. I can understand why some of you feel frustrated. Nowadays I try not to have too high expectations before watching something so that I won't be disappointed later. And maybe that's why I enjoy this drama haha On the other hand in real life people make stupid mistakes and stupid decisions. They act unreasonably. They  say things they don't mean even though they know they can hurt someone with their attitude. At least this drama shows us that we should communicate with each other and share our feelings with our loved ones. 

Anyway, funny thing that the whole 14 years of misunderstandings, unexpressed feelings and unsaid things were cleared in episode 14. Coincidence? I don't think so haha

About the voicemail Dae O left for Ae Jung. He was right. He should have given her the gift for their anniversary. He should have told her about his struggles. And she shouldn't have run away. She should have contacted him once again. They were young and they both were at fault. She thought he cheated on her. He thought she would have left him if he had told her about his family problems. What if. What if... There is no point in that. They can't turn back time. But if they really love each other now they can at least try again for Ha Nee's sake and their own sake. 

Ae Jung has many flaws. I don't really think that she wanted Dae O to stay away from Ha Nee. She probably felt anxious that she wasn't enough for Ha Nee and that made her act like that. People can act stupidly when feelings are involved. 

I hope that from now on Ae Jung and Dae O will have an opportunity to be good and supportive partners for each other and good parents for Ha Nee. 

It looks like they will be more obstacles to overcome. Ae Jung's boss is up to something again. And Yeon Woo's mom is acting strange. And that obsessed demon Jennifer Song seems to have another great idea when it comes to ruining Ryu Jin's career. 

Anyway, we have 2 episodes to go! So let's enjoy the final week :) 

I actually quite liked ep 14, even though writing was a bit predictable / face palm-ing (like making HN go back for her bag... just so we can get the explosion injuring DO while PD is still able to chase DC...). At least there was a sense of accomplishment for the relationship between PD and DC. They're opening up to each other much faster than our main mother-daughter pair! I know it feels less frustrating because PD himself has a lot less scenes for the past 14 episodes, but still it was satisfying. And the child actor for DC was awesome. Finally he got scenes to show off the acting chops!  

I pity Arin in a way, pulling out of the movie and yet it not getting the effect she wanted because AJ and DO were in the hospital. I can see the bonding between her and RJ but please keep it as a friendship. I don't need every single one of them to end up in a pair by ep 16!  

@chatterbox22 I'm just waiting for AJ's mum to completely smackdown YW's mum, like she sort of did with her fellow sauna aunties, but make it 10 times worse please! She's not one to be messed with and YW's mum looks way too smug in the preview that I can't wait for her to get the shock treatment hahaha! 

I loved the what if scenes near the end of ep 14 so I hope the conflicts next week are minimal - I suspect our movie is going to go up in smokes. And agree with @mel22 the writers have just inserted an endgame for PD and SH haha!

@mel22 @herina_90 I definitely would love a loveline between PD and SH personally. I cannot recall if I wrote it or not. But I DEFINITELY thought of it. So to see that moment at the hospital and they BOTH gave the same plant (I am guessing per her pensive expression). Plus PD is handsome and very charismatic (even in a hospital gown). 

I was LOVING too the DC and PD scenes.  Totally agree with @mel22 Finally PD got to shine more than 10 seconds of screen time if lucky in an episode. Seeing DC with his crying and appreciating PD's love and care despite not being a blood relative. So DC remembered Cantonese as those guys speaking Canto (at times with Mandarin accent) and PD's half clear and half not clear Cantonese---he realized PD not being related to him. I am figuring he doesn't use it since he was a kid. In Korea they do not seemt to be speaking in it in front of him. That evil Uncle to kill the couple and then try to get DC to pin the blame on PD. Dang glad PD gang came to the rescue (great timing but of course) and to have him save the day. 

Seeing the kids cry and HN trying to console DC as well as AJ when he realized he saw his uncle in the past, very traumatic time to NOT want to remember. OMG.I wanted to hug him too. When AJ came too and asked about PD and DC. But she did not ask about ODO (hello he was in the place with HN). Not going to lie, I was frustrated with that point. Seriously?! You do not ask about ODO? It is like the big elephant in the room you ARE not mentioning him. I was a bit frustrated with her (yes the writiers too) 

@mel22 Agreed this is not SJH best project (not her fault). But still love her anyways. She is making the most and she is looking beautiful while in it. I loved her in the chignons and cheongsams too as DC mom. Her hairstyle in this drama has nice layering and softens /frames her lovely face. 

Agreed @herina_90 what the heck about HN getting the back ONLY because her mom bought it? Seriously you are out and only for THAT? (I seriously was like--risk your life --you could have died. For me I would have been fine not having that book bag. Not too believable as nothing special about the book bag to me to be honest.) It is one thing you have something irreplaceable or sentimental value but a school BOOK BAG? No no.

So true, JAR did not get the desired response due to our OTP being in the hospital fighting injury and death.

LOL how she was shocked NOT to get the sad/begging face UNTIL she had to tell AJ.  Glad she fessed up to AJ and told her no matter how much I liked him, he only had one person in his heart. So this further proves to AJ that ODO did not cheat. Nor wanted to be with anyone else. I agree as humans who really has stellar communication skills with their loved ones. I know I am guilty to not have it until I grew up. Even then I have been learning to be better as a communicator with loved/close friends/family. The rewards of success have just deepened our bonds and strengthened our relationships. 

@chatterbox22 The voicemail had me teary and crying. The regrets and what if (montage) if ODO was consoled by AJ knowing of his situation, being in HN's life growing up as a family, being able to be supportive and loving to AJ wanting to pursue her dream.  I think it was well done and appreciated that ODO did leave it. (I notice in Korean dramas they DISLIKE to leave VMS and rather text. (Correct me if I am wrong there is a charge too to leave a vm whereas texts are free.)

Agreed with @herina_90 neatly trying to make everyone have a love line is not necessary so RJ and AR having one would be weird. But seeing RJ realizing what AR said to him about liking ODO he remembered saying the same things about AJ. If anything he sees a kindred person in their one sided love. But then is that the writer nim's way to say ---he potential person to like? (Uggh sigh.)  Yes AJ mom telling the other ajumma's off about gossiping at the jjimji bang was epic! I hope she does her thing with YW rude mom. 

Last night I was so tired, after my class I only could watch this drama before I just slept on the sofa. Oops. 

-PD and DC were MVP this episode for me for sure. DC showing his being scared and fear to his uncle. Then crying and appreciating PD after being rescued and then afterwards saying DAD but knowing he is not his dad. Awww. I loved that HN saw he was upset and held his hand to comfort him and glad AJ was motherly to him too holding him in a warm embrace while he was crying.

-PD apologizing to AJ behind the curtain only for SH to hear it. (I feel bad AJ did not get to hear it directly but this definitely might make SH interested in him) Plus they both gave the same cactus too as a gift?!  I think they make a very dashing couple indeed.

SH telling off the other patients gossiping about AJ having ties with the HK triads and being a mistress etc and just talking nonsense. Like AJ's mom with the neighborhood ajummas, SH took them to task well. YEAH

-Still face palm why would HN want the book bag when they got out safely. ODO being awesome and her noticing and being sad he was injured and they were not sure of his situation. Glad that YW was in the convenience store to remind her that no worries you ARE someone precious. Awww love YW, I doubt he will have a love line. Puppy has a pure heart and just too cute and lovely. The ideal dongseng who happens to be handsome, rich , young and cute. Sigh. Such a sweetheart with HN at the convenience store.

-AR going off and not caring of others and only her feelings. Plus after wanting to be making a mess and then going to AJ. What a cut to her ego and pride to find out AJ had no clue the ruckus she caused not promoting and saying she was leaving the production over AJ and ODO. But as I said eariler, I do appreciate she just reiterated that she was unsuccessful trying to win over ODO. (He never registered her in his heart the way she engraved him into her heart. ) Seeing her past and how he gave his shows and then came to her rescue like a prince in shining armour. Yeah I can see why if you are struggling and NO one is nice /believes in you and treats you horribly. It is easy to like and want to be with the person who is treating you well. (Very normal. ) She just never had the chance with ODO heart was never HERS to try to even snatch away. Even when she changed her name/age and became Asia's Angel.  Plus the deepened bonds of having HN ties AJ and ODO even more deeply together--they ARE the end game.

-ODO"s voicemail---epic and lovely (wrote above before so not writing more here about it)

HJ defending ODO and AJ to old boss CEO Hwang. Dang seriously he is trying to make digs when AJ was so kind and loyal. I love HJ though. You go!

AJ regretting and wanting ODO to wake up and talk. (Finally) But why did it have to be him almost dying saving HN for her to be regretful and be open to being able to talk to him. I know we are humans and have foibles, but her NOT being truthful to HN was hurtful. Like HN said, if ODO really abandoned her and did not want her --why would he go in to save her risking life and limb? (Doesn't compute.) She was mean and wronged him, poor HN's guilt. She is feeling that as her mom DID not be honest with her. Then again she was not wanting to hear much from her mom too as well. She wasted those chances to be HONEST with HN as well. So I can understand her frustrations.

DC and PD---yes love they are closer and had the FINALLY much needed chat. I was very satisfied with this story arc. yes love love loved it. Looking forward to the child actors future works. So adorbs.

Next week as finale week:

ODO hearing and being happy and the kiss. We know that our OTP def will be together and healing/working their way to be a family. With the film, it was the reason for their getting together with the debt, AJ dreams and reuniting them all.

Jennifer Song-seriously she is back? I thought she was brought down, I guess not.

YW mom and AJ's Mom meetup.

RJ and AR hanging out (now after her leaving the movie no reason too). So why are they hanging out? who outreached to who? Hmmm) More RJ interested in her after ep 14 realization.

Sure, it's an interesting drama, but everyone had guessed who the girl's biological father was since the first episode, not even a twist, and also with all these handsome boys around her who she will choose? there too it was predictable, too bad, a little fun would not have hurt even i she is a mother, anyway the female lead kdrama and cdrama are always pure and of good moralities, the rest of the boys? at best in the cdramas, they add other female characters so as not to leave the poor second males alone and sad:astonished:

Sad to say it as predictable as this series is, there was only one logical choice for the father really.  You always have infatuated but wanting them to be happy, one who is manipulative or has a destructive background or one who is jealous and wants the person at all costs, but none of those characters usually get the girl thou.

*sighs* have watched way too many kdramas now i think to know this....pfft.  So when he turned out to be the father that didnt suprise me, although i do agree with everyone else his constant need to apologise is driving me up the wall.

THere is a common theme in these style drama's, if your life turned out miserable then i should apologise, if my life turned out to affect yours then i should apologise, if you dont like me i have the right to stalk you until you change your mind about me (which of course you will)....yeah right NOT.  If married then i reserve the right to interfere and break you up to get you for myself even marriage isnt sacred because I love you and your partner will just walk away and give them to me on a plate and not bother fighting for you at all.....

Really think they need some new plot lines and stronger lead role scripts.......pfft....

I recently binged this drama after reading a couple of reviews.  Most said that it did not get better until episode 10, so I fast forwarded through a lot of the episodes.  The reviews were one reason and the second is that it was really boring and I disliked the FL character.  But after 10 episodes, it did become interesting. 

On a different note, Kim Min Joon (Goo Pa Do) is one sexy man!! Every time he was on the screen I perked up! Why wasn't he the lead? My, my, my...drooling...

The other characters were boring, except for the kids, the moms, and Goo Pa Do. Of course, the ML's mom is such a great actress anyway. I loved her in Faith! Throwback...LOL!!

On 8/26/2020 at 5:27 AM, fragglerock said:

Sad to say it as predictable as this series is, there was only one logical choice for the father really.  You always have infatuated but wanting them to be happy, one who is manipulative or has a destructive background or one who is jealous and wants the person at all costs, but none of those characters usually get the girl thou.

*sighs* have watched way too many kdramas now i think to know this....pfft.  So when he turned out to be the father that didnt suprise me, although i do agree with everyone else his constant need to apologise is driving me up the wall.

THere is a common theme in these style drama's, if your life turned out miserable then i should apologise, if my life turned out to affect yours then i should apologise, if you dont like me i have the right to stalk you until you change your mind about me (which of course you will)....yeah right NOT.  If married then i reserve the right to interfere and break you up to get you for myself even marriage isnt sacred because I love you and your partner will just walk away and give them to me on a plate and not bother fighting for you at all.....

Really think they need some new plot lines and stronger lead role scripts.......pfft....

I agree with you. I've been watching Kdrama since 2000. I went on break due to the cliche story line. I recently started again due to the stay at home order. I watched CLOY and that drama didn't have the typical cliche that all kdramas have.  It actually ignited my longing to get back to watching kdrama again. Being a fan on SJH, I went ahead and watched We Were In Love. The whole storyline was interesting but I watch episode, I was somewhat reminded why I took a break from kdrama. Regardless, I'm gonna finish this through fast forwarding a lot of scenes...

Now this is why they built up his character to feel so pitiful on the "Im Sorry" for as next week everyone is trashing him and the whole situation is a misunderstanding the only person that can save him from the sitation by the look of it is her.

Which would be great if she stood up to the plate for once and defended him instead of telling him constantly how much he was a reminder of the mistakes.....

Last night finally got to see the English Subbed version this time for ep 15 it was late on Netflix. 

Yeah powering through to the end and glad to see:

-DC and PD scene. OMG. Loved the father son scene and he finally opened up why he did not tell him earlier about his mom . So awesome. HN being sweet to DC saying wow your dad is cool and  A BOSS so manly. DC loved being called manly. Then later the bullies were eating with PD and DC and HN. Him saying he was stabbed, shot at and even dealt with an ax but saying WORDS are scarier--the bully got the memo wll the while cutting up a steak. LOL

-HN reflecting on PD and DC talking to the puppy and SH lapping it up. Yup cannot blame her, PD is a drink of water and so charismatic. She has to make her MOVE on him on ep 16 to make her presence known! LOL.

Will she EVER tell AJ about PD's apology?

ODO and AJ going back to their alma mater and taking pics and reliving memories. Was cute back memory lane. The fact they were awkward and caught after their kiss, HN caught it and looked very interested between the two of them. Glad she wanted to tell him like AJ said, you have permission to try to date mom as she is happy with you . Not asking you to be dad. (Awww love HN). Also her thanking DC for being her top help and agent. (She is going to be ticked about reading BIO dad's original book about him and mom.)

CEO Hwang  still gambling and being a nuisance after hearing from HJ being ODO old love and then he is thinking $$$ about AJ. Dang man.

Jennifer Song and that reporter of hers wanting to plot revenge, uggg you started saying lies and now just for revenge revealing ODO past with AJ. So unscrupulous.

AR was cool dealing with Jennifer Song and nice that RJ was nice about her too saying she is hardworking and someone to be dealt with caution. I see it is cute start but they are both attractive people and that crazy embarrassing start the comment AR said--I want to have at least one person I can be totally honest with.

AR making sure to let ODO who she is by saying things she said in the past . Only in drama, ODO put two and two together to realize her true identity. 

AJ mom saying lovely words about YW and being fierce mama bear to his mom was ON POINT. She did not do it in a MEAN way but she DEFINITELY was amazing as I love her always. YW appreciating AJ mom. I loved learning he was ABLE to be there for AJ too at her hardest . Something he wanted to do for her for being with him. Glad he made sure to tell his mom who was just about revenge etc etc. 

Finale this Wednesday. This drama had its ups and downs and though not my fave I love Song Ji Hyo's smile and Song Ho Jun's mesmerizing eyes. The kids as DC and HN were on point. Loved SH and AJ's mom of course too.

Hi guys!  I haven't been here in Soompi in a while but I just thought I'd drop my comment here before the finale airs.  I will leave more opinions here later.

Let me just say first that I love the show.  They have a lot of good scenes, editing, camera shots, lines, and of course great performances from the actors. Yeah, it's not perfect and sometimes can get frustrating (especially with AJ not apologizing to DO and not being completely honest with Hanee) but for the most part I still enjoy the show. It's a light show that has a good mix of drama, comedy and romance (it doesn't have to be all deep or dark to be a good show). They still deliver what I want/expect to see but at the same time also managed to surprise me with some unexpected storyline.

Just skimming the thread and I'm surprised to see some people saying the main couple don't have chemistry....coz in Youtube there are a lot of comments shipping Aejong and Daeoh in the drama and even Song Ji Hyo & Son Ho Jun in real life. 

EP 15:  At first I was disappointed at the ep maybe because I was expecting Hanee & AJ to be grateful & be nicer to DO, and maybe because I was looking for a loving kiss/embrace between AJ & DO (let's add Hanee too). But then I realized it is a good ep because they closed all the other side stories and there's a lot of good scenes from Ep 15.  Of course my fave is their cute "first" date. I was just hoping maybe for a kiss along with the proposal.

EP 16 PREVIEW:  I'm not liking the storyline/angle that DO leaves them again because of the scandal, but I'm getting this feeling that the teaser is just making us think that BUT is not true. Maybe AJ will clear DO's name to Hanee and the press. Maybe she will admit publicly that she is the one who left. I really hope so coz it's the only logic I see why the writers has not shown us any part where AJ tells Hanee everything about what happened and that DO never abandoned them.  

When Aejong asked Daeoh why he left without a word, it could be for something else and not because of the scandal. Time could have passed by and they are already married here *squeels* and the reason could be something small like maybe he had to leave a party all of a sudden. Hahaha 

* These are what I want to see to be satisfied with Ep. 16*:

-Aejong admitting DO didn't abandon them & apologizing to DO
-Wedding photos of AJ & DO
-Hanee acknowledging DO as her Dad and finding similarities between them.
- a loving kiss (or at least embrace) between DO & AJ
-AJ getting pregnant and DO & Hanee are there to take care of her  & the baby boy named Haneul (the name she wrote in her College project)

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2020] We were in Love, 우리 사랑했을까

Wellllll, I called it on who's wedding it was

Spoiler

HN-DC's!

Sadly, I have to say, our main lead AJ didn't get much character development right up til the last episode, in my view. But there was a happy ending so I'm going to try to look past it and just enjoy the end.

HaNee really was the heart of the show, mature and understanding up til the very end, even comforting DO this time. And I just realised, there was barely any mother-daughter bonding this ep.... but I enjoyed the DO-HN interactions and I fully believe she accepted DO as her dad after the timejump, just wish it could have been played out on screen. They should have had at least one scene with DO-AJ-HN together. I think the impact would have been so much bigger / happier if they had showed us snapshots of what could have been after DO-AJ reunited, and then have the wedding as an epilogue. Should have cut out CEO Song since it didn't add much to the story this episode, and given that time to our main family. 

I loved the DO parallel with DC interrupting HN's "confession". His story with GPD was very nicely wrapped and very cute this last ep, with GPD definitely on the HN-DC ship. AR turned out to be quite a lovable character (development!) after all though I'm not on board the RJ-AR hinted loveline. GPD-SH would have been better as a building loveline but there wasn't much of a showing there. Overall, I enjoyed following the show since Ep 1 and hoping to see more works from all the actors again soon!

Archived