[Drama 2020] Once Again, 한번다녀왔습니다

0ly40

On 5/31/2020 at 11:29 PM, jelly said:
Spoiler

Sigh, I am bummed whenever we see Nahee and Gyu Jin scenes in the show now. When I first watched this show, I thought he was a hilarious and extroverted character compared to his ex-wife. So I was a bit transfixed to say the least watching the couple from Ep 1-14 (Up to NH moving out), that they could somehow work things out but as the show progressed my feelings on that changed. 

I find their storyline heartbreaking and while I do root for them, I find their complete lack of communication with one another so frustrating. It makes me sad (symbolizing perhaps?) that Gyu Jin is always one step behind, we the audience clearly see that he still cares about her but Nahee doesn't see that. Look back when NH announces she wants a divorce from him, and he doesn't give off much reaction to her proposal. He just sits there and doesn't display much of a reaction, while it seems that she wanted him to say some opposition. He threw out the baby room and everything in it, without giving her a chance to grieve. He also wasn't that tuned to her feelings, when the hate comments came out he boasted to her upset face that he upvoted them. Another moment when they with their mothers and he said "No wonder you are a loner, that's why you've no friends." Why was he being so rude and mean to Nahee when she was in a time of distress?

Its also telling how the writer has purposely not shown much of their full story of the couple thus far. We know they met by chance encounter. But how did they end up falling in love? Was he or she drawn to each other from the start? Or was it a one sided crush turned love? Why did they marry and decide to have a baby together? 

On 6/1/2020 at 3:10 AM, jelly said:

Spoiler

I wonder why that is? It's an interesting albeit long journey to see these rekindle their spark again, but the show began with them fighting, bickering, and being mean to one another (Moreso Gyu Jin). I like Nahee a lot, and while she can be a bit prickly she's clearly the more sensitive one in this relationship, and I wish Gyu Jin realize that and was more sensitive towards her when they were married. I would like to see them in a time where they loved each other (a.k.a the lovey dovey moments). I like LSY a lot as an actor, and I feel a bit bad for him that his younger brother has the better role in the show. I know I'm in the minority here, but I found NH and GJ relationship to be realistic and complex. They have a lot of shared history together, and have gone through the ups and downs in a relationship than usually K-dramas wouldn't show. 

IA. GJ is shown to care about NH. (When he would wait for her, only to be scheduled for a late night patient) or the recent moment when he was a tad late in saving her. I notice that he has no one to talk about his issues with :( When he and his brother talk about their own problems, they always talk about something else separate from one another. His mom is a nuisance, so I feel sad seeing him just not act upon those feelings and instead let them fester which only creates more issues. The other doctor guy is a good match for GJ to see, and reflect back. The church chick nope, I haven't seen much from her to as to why GJ would like her. She seems opportunistic with GJ, and he still cares about NH to see past that :( One things for sure, we have 30 more episodes to go with this show ah so I really hope that the writer makes him grow as a character. He's the one that needs to change the most, and when he and NH can better communicate with each other that's when they can grow toge

ther.  

@jelly  I LOVE LOVE your two postings. Thank you!!

In my earlier postings, I thought I was over-analyzing and I decided to focus on JS-DH for their light -heartedness. However, the recent development of love triangle between GJ-NH-the director give me pleasant surprises (I don't want to include BY at this point because her character does not have much stake--not at this point at least). I feel that the story between GJ and NJ resonates with the title of the drama. Will they fall in love "once again" after being "married once"? I find myself rooting for them to find their own happiness, whether they will get back together or not. I understand why some may find the portrayal of the pairing between  GJ-NH boring. Well...dealing with the marital issues and personality patterns are tedious because it is difficult for anyone to change..

Initially,  it seems that the director serves as a typical Kdrama plot device to make our male lead jealous. interestingly, the writer uses the "third wheel"to shed light on the underlying problems in the relationship between GJ and NH, barring the external issue such as mother-in-law. To be honest, in the first 20 episodes,  I am very critical of GJ. I find him petty and childish. He clearly knows NH to be socially awkward and blunt, but he "rides on" NH's unpopularity among colleagues to further ostracize her, whether he means it or not. He uses his own "public persona" as the golden standard to put NH down. He makes himself out to be the "victim" to the dysfunctional marriage and NH to the culprit in public eyes.  He does *not* shut down and instead unwittingly participate in all the backstabbing at his then-wife until they are finally divorced. 

In the new episodes this week, the writer has done a brilliant job setting a stark contrast between the director and GJ. The director appreciates NH for who she is, for her sense of justice even though her straightforwardness can put her at risk. I agree with the director that not everyone in the workplace has to be as "suave" as GJ or JS.  In the elevator,  when everyone speaks ill of NH, the director has the courage to "clear" the rumors for NH. In comparison, as @jelly observes rightly, GJ is always "one step behind."  He only defends NH in front of his colleagues, and challenges his own mother *after* NH has left him.

If the writer only makes GJ jealous and competitive, then I wouldn't have changed my idea about GJ. GJ is totally shaken after witnessing the director's confession towards NH (BTW, kudos to LSY's acting!) He is hurting because he can't express his love towards NH like the director. It's funny that GJ may seem to be an outgoing extravert , but I find him an insecure, shy introvert underneath his nonchalant appearance. Let's not forget that in one of the flashbacks, NH was the one who made the first move-- she asks him to take her out for dinner. They apparently have known each other by being in the same class so probably NH is probably interested in him.  Yes. JS is immensely likable, but that's only because he has an older brother like GJ to shoulder all the emotional baggage (and a lot of garbage) from an overbearing mother. 

When seeing how the director defends NH in the elevator, GJ concedes to NH that the director is a nice and reliable person.I really appreciate LSY's performance in portraying how GJ has realized his own lacking, and his longing and tentativeness towards NH. 

Luckily for him, NH is not an average candy girl. NH is indeed an odd ball because she is so level-headed. She is anxious to reject the director because she doesn't want to give him a false hope  She is grateful that the director saves her, so she returns the favor by being a chauffeur. She doesn't want to "owe" him anything. In comparison, when GJ saves her from a motorbike earlier, she knows that her heart is still fluttering from his gentlemanly attention towards her---if only GJ realizes how much he still loves her and SAYS IT TO HER!! GJ is so clueless to the extent that he does not realize his body and mind are all concerned about the wellbeing of NH. 

Up to now, I feel that the director can be a great friend of NH, because finally she has someone to talk to like a normal friend, apart from JS.  At this point, she still feel most comfortable with GJ--  I mean, C'mon, they have no problems sitting on the same hospital bed.  lol  I just hope that they can have a real communication one day.

Edited by Jillia
Quote too long
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2

What does "Once Again" title mean?

Is it 'once again' for NH & GJ to be a married couple again (and hopefully with happy ending this second round)?

Is it 'once again' for JoonSun & his wife & the daughters to be a happy family again?

Is it 'once again' for the 2 families to be in-laws again but this time with JS-DH instead of NH-GJ?

Is it 'once again' for YD & his sister to be family again after separated for so long? YES on this one for sure!

Is it 'once again' for NH to be happy but this time with the sunbae? And same with GJ, happy again but with BY noona? 

It it 'once again' for GH & JiHoon to be a family again, this time with the HS or somebody else? 

Or is it just once again for the main family to be a complete family again with all the kids happily married?

I'm leaning towards this last one. Although if we are hoping to have NH-GJ & JoonSun-his wife back together again, that's a little bit of a stretch. That means 2 out of 4 kids will remarry same spouse. Then if JS-DH got married too, then they will also become a double in-laws. I know it's dramaland but it's a bit funny to go from all kids married --> all got divorced/annulled --> 2 kids remarried & 2 kids become double in-laws.

I really like the sunbae's character. Like everyone has said, he's suave & smooth with nice voice, straight forward, confident, honest, can cook & he wants to spoil his woman *swooooonnn* and last but not the least he must be smart enough if he can be an interim hospital director. I know there's not much shown so far about his flaws, but if NH doesn't want him, I will take him! Hehehehe. Seriously, I think they are so much more compatible. NH can be as honest/blunt as she wants or just be herself and sunbae will be there to understand her and either to protect her (or back her up) or cool her down smoothly instead of GJ's nagging & bickering.

Alex did good playing the cool sunbae, he gained a new fan in me. If NH-sunbae is not meant to be, I'll be sad. It's been a long while since I get the second lead syndrome sickness.

How long is this drama? 100 eps? So we still have 60 to go? Dang.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cuplik said:

What does "Once Again" title mean?

The actual Korean title is: 한 번 다녀왔습니다 which translates to "I've been there once (and returned)"

It's a... delicate? way of saying, "I'm divorced." Korean people don't want to say the word "divorce" I guess, so they are saying, basically, "Yeah, I've been there."

Anyway, that's kind of hard to translate into a snappy title, which is why it's just called "Once Again." I don't think there's some deep meaning to it.

1 hour ago, cuplik said:

I know it's dramaland but it's a bit funny to go from all kids married --> all got divorced/annulled --> 2 kids remarried & 2 kids become double in-laws.

How long is this drama? 100 eps? So we still have 60 to go? Dang.

Ooooh, yeah. That is *exactly* what's going to happen. (imo)

They still have 60 episodes to go, so that's the story they're going to tell in the remaining 60 eps.

Thanks for posting that instagram @the girl who!  These two are really cute. They look like brother and sister to me, actually. They look so alike. (two shmoopy puppies)

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Any update on our #JaeHee Couple? IM so excited for tomorrow's episode. Gahee said something  in the preview that I'm betting on her hands that the guy likes Dahee :wub: the sister can sense that the person like her sister but Daehee didn't feel anything :P she is so naive. She is my favorite character in the drama :) Writernim more more spoilers please!!!!!!

• Like 3

i get an impression that many of us here like Jungrok (the interim hospital director) than GJ to be with Nahee

me too...i think personality wise, JR can understand & balance NH

I dont mind if later JR really end up with NH, even though LSY is the male lead

cuz JR's personality is much less annoying than GJ's

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Silverlining93 said:

Hmmmm, can she be Jaesuk High School Sweetheart that would make Daehee jealous and realize that she likes Jaesuk too :joy:.  These #Jaehee couple is super duper ultra mega hyper extremely enormous tremendous fabulous marvolous to watch :wub:

• LOL 4

9 hours ago, yukiyukiku said:

i get an impression that many of us here like Jungrok (the interim hospital director) than GJ to be with Nahee

me too...i think personality wise, JR can understand & balance NH

I dont mind if later JR really end up with NH, even though LSY is the male lead

cuz JR's personality is much less annoying than GJ's

I would like NH/GJ to be the end game.

There was no cheating involved and they still love each other (at least that’s how I see it). So most probably  NH/GJ will reconcile. 

But I won’t feel too bad if NH ends up with JR because he seems to really care for her.

• Like 4

On 6/2/2020 at 9:52 PM, chickfactor said:

The actual Korean title is: 한 번 다녀왔습니다 which translates to "I've been there once (and returned)"

It's a... delicate? way of saying, "I'm divorced." Korean people don't want to say the word "divorce" I guess, so they are saying, basically, "Yeah, I've been there."

Anyway, that's kind of hard to translate into a snappy title, which is why it's just called "Once Again." I don't think there's some deep meaning to it.

Oh, interesting. Thank you for explaining the korean meaning.