[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

8 hours ago, tensaitekikuroneko said:

I didn't have the hope that it would end so well in the middle but I love how they wrapped it up - little heartwarming things here and there, resolving everything.

I am glad it was extended and we could see such a delicious episode - with the whole community coming together and supporting the kidney transplant...and they have increased the rewatch value by far thanks to how things got resolved. Everyone getting a second chance will not sit well with a lot of people - but I like the way they show that people learn, change and learn to live together. Life!

So true. It's a very inspirational and heartwarming finale episode. It's really the little things that count the most. And you know what's so special about Ongsan? The local people may come from different shapes and sizes but they certainly have one thing in common. They may not look it, but they are all big-hearted people. :wub:

• Like 13

:bawling::bawling::bawling: it’s over! It was so perfect! Such a heart warming satisfying story. I remained impressed until the very end! Great writing and great execution. I would love to see KHN and GHJ pair up again. They had amazing chemistry and compliment each other so well. I will definitely miss this drama and everything about it. Sad to say goodbye :bawling:

• Like 7
  • Love 4

That was so good, you guys! Awww, so good.

Yes, DB and YS ended up having a daughter they named Hwang Go-Woon. They never show her, but they show her school uniform with her name tag on it. So 2 things about that: Hyang-Mi said she hoped she would be born again as DB's daughter. :tears: Also, this means DB did learn that Hyang-Mi = Go-Woon, someone she knew when they were little.

What a lovely, humanistic story this was. Just heartwarming and fun from top to bottom. Loved the Ong-vengers whaling on Heung-Shik together.

I finally got my wish! Ja-Yeong and DB having a drink together. Loved the little details like Ja-Yeong clapping her feet together while "passed out drunk" when DB finally offered Gyu-Tae those coveted peanuts.

Loved Deok-Sun's warm embrace of DB.

Loved JR and Jessica patching things up. JR finally learned how to put everything on the line for someone. I'm glad he learned how to do that.

I mean, I just loved that DB was the one who finally caught The Joker, by bashing his head with Hyang-Mi's beer stein. I loved that the Ong-vengers were all strong women who were the real strong ones in this town.

Loved the final message at the end. The ordinary people who work hard and make small miracles happen everyday, you are the real heroes. I mean, that's corny, but it really choked me up. What a lovely way to end a lovely show.

This show was like a warm hug.

A warm hug to everyone! :lol:

• Like 8
  • Love 8

10 hours ago, htk9207 said:

So true. It's a very inspirational and heartwarming finale episode. It's really the little things that count the most. And you know what's so special about Ongsan? The local people may come from different shapes and sizes but they certainly have one thing in common. They may not look it, but they are all big-hearted people. :wub:

Yes it's all the little things! In the end, Ms Kwak wants to care for DB and PG as her own family, regardless whether DB and YS are together or not. That touched me :bawling:

And PG's dialogue about big boss in game is just so adult of him.

• Like 10
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, htk9207 said:

I don't have a particular order but my favorite dramas also include Reply 1988. My other faves are Prison Playbook, Encounter, Another Oh Haeyoung, and now Camellia Blooms is joining the list permanently. 

Same here. It's a testament to how both actors are so good and dedicated with the role given to them. JY didn't have much screen time but I really like her a lot. I am so glad we were given a view of how they started as a couple even if it's on the last episode. To be honest, I really didn't care much about KJR and Jessica as a couple. For me, the couple who mattered, aside from our beloved Mandu Couple, is Mr. Peanuts and his cool and awesome wife. :D

I love your drama choices. :thumbsup: "Camellia" also joins my list of top K-drama favorites.

For those suffering from withdrawals, I would recommend "Fight My Way" and "Baek-Hee has Returned" - both by the same writer. S/he really has a way with creating a sense of community in her scripts.

ETA: The writer's name is Im Sang-Choon.

http://asianwiki.com/Im_Sang-Choon_(screenwriter)

She's a woman. I couldn't tell by her name, but thinking about her shows, I felt clearly that she must be a woman because she is really great at creating strong and interesting female characters, which is another consistent feature in her shows.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@tensaitekikuroneko

Ah~so that's what it was.. I first thought it was Pil Gu's y'know LoL? As his voice was in the background & they were panning over his many awards & stuff. 

It's great that Dong Baek/Yong Shik have kids of their own. :D I mean if you've been following their romance, you'd notice how thirsty :phew: Yong Shik was! :w00t: I don't think he would've been able to keep his hands off her ha-ha:lol: She always asks Do you really like me that much?! ^_^

Lawyer Hong is so so cool & just freaking awesome! The way she pursued her man was WoW. She got balls is all I'd say. ;) I like the part where she said I'm not after you for your looks ooh damn she's somethin'. 

Kudos to the production team & writers for a satisfying ending. Unlike most dramas:rolleyes: yea I'm talkin' 'bout Hotel Del Luna - they packed all emo content into 1 finale oy<_<. Extraordinary You - complete polarization. Mainly focused on otp:P All other characters were relegated to obscurity. So I appreciate that they gave ample time for each character to have their closure. 

@chickfactor

I loved Fight My Way that was a fun one with the usual clichéd friends to lovers type drama but done right with the right cast of course;)

I'd say When the Camellia Blooms is right up there alongside My Ahjusshi

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Beautiful drama

:thumbsup:

Which the instantaneous and fast paced modern of lifestyle this drama style of community is like fantasy, the setting seems came out from 90th era or early millennium or actually this care and closes  community still exists in korea? Nevertheless this kind care, easy to judge yet easy to forgive and blended faster in a peace is something everyone missed now's day. The strong community who's helping rise a kids become a decent person. Although the contra effect from easy judgment becomes monster like HS we couldn't denied good neighborhood always be home everybody missed and to comeback when we get tired with a life.

So many good lines and heartwarming interaction made me tears up. Drama which make me down turn to looking back to correct and to valued what is gone in my every day live, it's nice to spend a time to watching all aspects from relationship mother -daughter/son, person with collegial community, love and hate we senses at hard time, grateful and devastating at another time nonetheless it's life.

Wouldn't be so bland when the life we live in without up and down?

Loves Dongbaek confident lines,  why should i becomes supporting character for another person? I'm the mine lead of my own life"

Tears up for JJS(Dongbaek mother) "time a mother abandoned their children they're dies inside "

Shed a tears yet cracked in laughter when Pil gu says" why should you Married to another?why you're not enough just have me?

Aah Pil-guaa a brave nice boy.

And of course the heartwarming Jong sik, the man who deserves all Dongbaek love.

WCB will become another a soulful drama to remind me even times changes  warmth community and people's who cares and respect each other's is the best place to lives.

Good good drama.

• Like 8
  • Love 4

Woah!! That's how you patch things up perfectly! No doubt, drama of the year! The Christmas spirit is just pure LOVE :wub:Ongsan neighborhood is truly the best, gee I'm a total sucker with heart-warming shows :tears: Good thing, I keep visiting the thread.. Netflix subs is not that reliable, I was wondering why that patch on that uniform was girlish.. Aside from the magnificent ambulance scene and Ongsan's networking, I love how PG and YS's mom reconciled.. it went so naturally, sometimes I do think that speaking by actions is better than hearing in words.. the show really did a splendid job delivering its message, values and lessons. Lastly, I was really moved how they took care of Dongbaeks household especially through Pil Gu. Looking forward on the two special episodes B)

• Like 7
  • Love 6

It was so touching. It was heartwarming. That scene. When everyone in Ongsan tried so hard to help Dong Baek and her mom. Dong Baek isn't the unlucky woman. Yong Shik, our sweetest male character is always with her. 

Too bad Hyang Mi wasn't with her anymore. 

And I already missed the avengers strong ladies of Ongsan

• Like 9
  • Love 1

November 20, 2019

Cast of "When the Camellia Blooms" Looks Ahead to Future Projects

By William Schwartz on HanCinema.net

photo1124949.jpg

The ratings success of "When the Camellia Blooms" has spilled over to most of its cast

members, as fans ponder over where the drama's many actors will go next. Lead actor Kang Ha-neul has already announced his plans to return to the stage in 'Dream Fairy Tale', where he will play the Clown of Love. The play begins on December 21st and ends on March 1st of 2020.

Oh Jung-se had a supporting role in the drama as a lawyer. He will be moving onto "Stove League", a baseball-centered drama that will start next month which stars Namgoong Min. Yum Hye-ran is appearing in a lot of upcoming works, but she will soon be appearing in the short drama "Drama Stage 2020 - Ogre", having already had a brief memorable appearance in "KIM Jiyoung: Born 1982" in the scarf scene. She is also expected to appear soon in "Special Cargo", which stars Park So-dam in the leading role.

Lee Jung-eun was on a hot streak long before "When the Camellia Blooms" started to air thanks to her highly acclaimed performance in "Parasite". She will appear in the upcoming films "Fisherman" and "The Day I Died", and she has also been confirmed for the weekend drama "I've Been There Once", which will start airing next year.

Written by William Schwartz

p/s Dongbaek's Omma (actress Lee Jung Eun) won the Blue Dragon Best Supporting Actress award last night

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 4

November 21, 2019

Cast of "When the Camellia Blooms" Offers Closing Comments to Fans

By William Schwartz on HanCinema.net

photo1125640.jpg

"When the Camellia Blooms" has been a major success throughout its ten week run, at times hitting ratings of over twenty percent. So it is that now, with the drama finished, the cast members major and minor are offering their thoughts to fans who have enjoyed the drama throughout its run on KBS.

Gong Hyo-jin described the love she received from the drama as overwhelming, and often leaving her to think that she was being seen not as Gong Hyo-jin, but rather as her character, Dong-baek. She has said that some people have seen her in public with tears visible in their eyes. Gong Hyo-jin said that it had been a long time since she had felt that kind of love.

Kang Ha-neul described himself as being lucky to have been able to find the project. He said that the past six months were unforgettable. Kang Ha-neul also confessed that he did not personally have much confidence in the way he had portrayed his character on the drama, but that he never stopped trying, and studied hard to make sure he got the character right.

Kim Ji-suk mentioned how this was his first time playing a father on a drama. He described the work as an important learning experience in that regard. He said "When the Camellia Blooms" was a great product and expressed disappointment that they weren't able to keep it running just a little while longer.

photo1125642.jpg

Ji E-suu described "When the Camellia Blooms" as being like a miracle. She said the story was about relationships, happiness, and sacrifice, and that she'd thought over the story's messages more than once. Ji E-suu thinks there's plenty to learn from the story going forward.

Oh Jung-sae said that every person and every scene in the drama was very loving and that each individual scene was regarded with tender care. He thanked viewers for watching to the very end. Yum Hye-ran described it as an honor to have been introduced to her character on the drama and said that she had a happy time making such a great drama with her co-stars.

Written by William Schwartz

• Like 4
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 4

“When The Camellia Blooms” Finale Achieves Highest Ratings Of Any Miniseries This Year

“When The Camellia Blooms” Finale Achieves Highest Ratings Of Any Miniseries This Year

Nov 22, 2019
by E. Cha

KBS 2TV’s “When the Camellia Blooms” ended with a bang last night!

According to Nielsen Korea, the November 21 series finale of “When the Camellia Blooms” scored average nationwide ratings of 19.7 percent and 23.8 percent for its two parts.

Not only did the ratings mark the drama’s highest viewership ratings yet—easily surpassing its previous record of 20.7 percent—but the broadcast also set a new record for the highest ratings achieved by any miniseries drama airing on any public broadcast network in 2019.

MBC’s “Extraordinary You,” which also aired its finale last night, held steady with average ratings of 2.6 percent and 3.6 percent for the night. (SBS’s “Secret Boutique” did not air due to coverage of the 40th Blue Dragon Film Awards.)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1367266wpp/when-the-camellia-blooms-finale-achieves-highest-ratings-of-any-miniseries-this-year

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 3
  • Thanks 3

Now that the supporting actors are garnering more interest, I looked into them and realized their mind bending age gap.. mainly due to GHJ slow aging process..

Actress playing DB's mom is just 10 years older than GHJ..

GHJ is 10 years older than KHN..

I also didn't realise she is older than Jo In Sung, Kim Ji Suk and Go Kyung Pyo she previously paired with..

How is all that possible? Teach me unnie :scream:

DB's hairstyle is sometimes very similar with GHJ's role in Thank You 12 years ago. The bangs, the braid.. she looked like she just "matured" from young lady to woman instead of aging

• Like 7
  • LOL 5

I love, love, love all the details!  The production crew deserve so much credit for being so meticulous!  I'm sure I didn't catch everything.

Does this mean the No/Hong family are now three?  :D

0a47e23545a6a3d9eb53df75aeca489c168bda6b

When watching Pil-gu on TV, this shows Yong-sik is now Captain ...

ccb2a5e1b0097beb8cb42f5b35a1672a2246cf9f

... and when they show the front, I think it's flashing back (so they haven't aged).

8d7dc67c4d2becc367bfc46cd1eb4b47472ce740

Nothing in the scene changes but his shoulder board, so it's hard to know.

There is one detail that frustrates me, and that is that Hyang-mi called Heung-sik "ahjussi."  Why?  She is older than he is.  Was she really trying to play the lost little girl?

I don't feel bad for giving Heung-sik the benefit of the doubt (even though he was already under suspicion at episode 4).  Maybe that makes me dense like Dong-baek, but I can wait until my next life to be cold-hearted.  She didn't like people making assumptions about her and wouldn't make them about other people.  Compassion is never out of place.  After the facts are clear, justice can be served.

I really enjoyed the montage of everyday people and am so glad they included it.  That really brought home the message.  I'm all for happy endings.  :)  And happy tears.

• Like 5
  • Love 7

November 21, 2019

"When the Camellia Blooms" Comes to An End With 23.8%

Source: Newsen via HanCinema.net

"When the Camellia Blooms" ended with the highest rating.

According to Nielsen Korea, the KBS 2TV drama "When the Camellia Blooms" rated 19.7% and 23.8% on the 21st.

This is very much past 20.7%, the existing record, and a new record that wasn't effected at all by the Blue Dragon Film Awards that went on at the same time.

"When the Camellia Blooms" has been in the lead all throughout its broadcast and the drama came to a successful end.

Meanwhile, MBC drama "Extraordinary You" ended with 2.6% and 3.6%, while tvN's "Psychopath Diary" rated 1.5%.

Source: The Seoul Story

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 4

@1ouise when Ja Young was having the phone call, she seemed like she wanted to puke just by hearing what her mother in law was cooking. I think she is pregnant!

I also wonder how does the badge ranking works for police? Definitely a promotion but not sure the rank. And yes the couple look like their present self but spoke like they are older.. perhaps to show that they are as loving as the first day even as they age

@rubie get ready for KBS Drama Awards 

• Like 8
  • LOL 3

2 hours ago, 1ouise said:

@chickfactor Just FYI, the writer Im Sang-choon is a man. ;):)

Where do you get that information? This article says she's a woman in her 30s:

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20191122132709562

And these:

https://www.msn.com/ko-kr/entertainment/news/‘백희가→쌈마이웨이→동백꽃’-임상춘-작가가-누구길래tv와치/ar-AAIY7Pv

https://www.ytn.co.kr/_sn/0117_201911221427111623_001

A few interesting points:

- "Im Sang-Choon" is a pen name. She deliberately chose a name that wasn't gender-specific.

- No one but her family and close friends know that she is "Im Sang-Choon"

- She wants to only communicate with her audience through her dramas, she doesn't give interviews.

- Her father is sad because he wants to brag about her success to others but he can't.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, chickfactor said:

This article says she's a woman in her 30s.

A few interesting points:

- "Im Sang-Choon" is a pen name. She deliberately chose a name that wasn't gender-specific.

- No one but her family and close friends know that she is "Im Sang-Choon"

- She wants to only communicate with her audience through her dramas, she doesn't give interviews.

- Her father is sad because he wants to brag about her success to others but he can't.

Interesting.  I thought a male writer was unusual.  Thanks for the information.  She has done a good job with maintaining her cover.  Many articles refer to "he"--even the Daum one you linked.  It's tricky with translations.

https://www.hancinema.net/korean_Lim_Sang-choon.php

https://mydramalist.com/people/16426-im-sang-choon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2