[Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

0ly40

@1ouise, thanks for that information about the name on the tag of the hanging uniform. It was the only regret I felt after watching the last scene in the episode. I just couldn’t imagine why they didn’t have an addition to the family. Otherwise, it was a superb final episode. Glad to see DB finally surrounded by the warmth of family and friends. I also appreciated JR and Jessica taking small steps to get to know and understand each other. I was really moved by so many scenes including theirs, Ms Kwak and Pilgu, Ms Kwak and DB’s mom, all of NGT and his ex-wife, etc.

• Like 8
  • Love 6

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019] When the Camellia Blooms, 동백꽃 필무렵

I love the way YS runs towards DB at the end.. and his signature "DB-SSI, HA HA HA HA HA".. kiss then "HA HA HA" again.. he's such a puppy :wub:

All his laugh, cries, smiles, hugs, are so satisfying and touching to watch.. he's also a very empathetic listener eg. Look at his face when he cried together with DB and said "why would santa give u pencils"

By the way after the time skip, the scene pans to Yongsik's badge on his shoulder, did he get upgraded or something?

Oh the name..Hwang Go Un.. oh my.. i remember sometime hyang mi told DB she want to be reincarnated as her daughter in the next life.. :bawling:

And Gong Hyo Jin! I can't love her enough.. just saw her instagram post when she was surprised with a cake by the staff, she was so touched she cried exactly like Dong Baek.. wow she hasn't get out of character yet.. 

GOOD JOB EVERYBODY

• Like 11
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

this has been the sweetest, most heart warming drama i've ever seen! i really grew to love all the characters and how softly and succinctly the writers tied up everything. im really happy for NGT and HJY :bawling: and even JR and jessica(!). if both parties are committed to making the marriage work then why shouldn't they! im glad the characters decided to take responsibility for their choices. in the end, everything was just the right amount of sweet and happy. nothing too dramatically ridiculous but just very, very, perfect and right hahahaha :heart::heart:

AND OF COURSE im so so so so so so happy for the OTP's beautiful ending :bawling::heart: KHN and GHJ are absolutely brilliant, and especially YS's character is so unique to korean dramas. easily the best male lead ive ever seen in a kdrama ever!! i also LOVE that YS & DB had a daughter named hwang go-eun omg. such a lovely tribute to hyang mi.

ugh ugh ugh everything in this drama is perfect!!! the absolute best!!! how am i going to get over it :bawling:

also props to everyone for guessing from the beginning who the joker truly was hahahahaha THE SIGNS WERE THERE!!!!!!!!! i faltered in the middle sadly but YES WE WERE RIGHT GOOD WORK EVERYONE 

oh there's so much i want to gush about but there's too much to say and im just so, so, happy with how everything turned out. this forum has also been such a wonderful community so i just want to say yall made this drama even more fun to follow with your insights and comments and discussions!!! thank you all so much :heart:

• Like 7
  • Love 5

I can't believe it's over:( what a wonderful drama. An apt ending to a rather tumultuous year, a job well done to the cast & crew 'gain for bringing such an inspiring story to warm our hearts. God I miss 'em already!

What the bloody hell:huh: Dong Baek's mom was right to suspect Heung Shik all along:P

At least Hyang Mi can rest in peace now~ Happiness all around for Dong Baek, Mrs. Kwak & of course our lovable mascot...Yong Shik. Where can I find a man like him!?:w00t: Ooh Pil Gu ah you're goin' to have so many fan girls ahahah. An athlete & good lookin' y'all better watch out LoL. :lol: 

Aww... Lawyer Hong & Mr. Noh are reunited once more, while Jessica is still dependent on social media, she now has Jong Ryeol who is starting to act like the proper husband he is. So that's why that police chief kept goin' on & on 'bout Yeong Shim aigoo~ 

I loved how selfless & giving the folks of Ongsan were.. how they banded together to help out Dong Baek. In today's modern society where everyone's too busy with keeping up in the rat race etc, noone really cares anymore & it's all just sad.

Jong Ryeol's wise words It's easy to pity & harder to envy accurately describes how detached we are from one another. Well here's my cue to bid y'all farewell. I've enjoyed reading, replying all of your posts.. it made me feel I was included if only for a lil while. This was like my very own Ongsan:D My wish for all of you is the same as the end credits of this drama... that you are all miracles, don't take anything for granted & be kind to one another. God Bless xo. Happy Holidays~:heart:       

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

5 hours ago, multiloverssss said:

i glad we got happy ending....i so happy that pilgu change his name to hwang go un....i thought it would be happen and the writer do that.

this writer truly gem.

i will wait for this writer next drama.

i just remember.

go un is hyangmi name.maybe DB and YS  got a daughter....i hope for next 2 special episode, we some new scene like DB and YS new family.

• Like 9

THIS WAS THE MOST SATISFYING ENDING EPISODE BY FAR!!! I had to come back from lurking and type this out because I am thrilled at how it ended. I didn't have the hope that it would end so well in the middle but I love how they wrapped it up - little heartwarming things here and there, resolving everything.

I am glad it was extended and we could see such a delicious episode - with the whole community coming together and supporting the kidney transplant, the writer didn't go for cheap waterworks and making the death bring the leads together. I appreciate it so much and they have increased the rewatch value by far thanks to how things got resolved. Everyone getting a second chance will not sit well with a lot of people - but I like the way they show that people learn, change and learn to live together. Life!

And just to clarify, Kang Pil Gu is Kang Pil Gu, we can see the collection of awards and trophies in his name - which is fine since his dad tried to make amends.

uDOFiRd.jpg

And the leads had a daughter called Hwang Go Eun - named after Hyang Mi. You can see her highschool uniform with a skirt here:

6x4ALmC.png

If you see the montage, it is skirt and not trousers, see the spoiler for a clearer shot.

Spoiler

IF1eRwi.png

I believe they had her not long after they were married, so Pil gu got a bald sister who poops a lot for himself, which is incredibly sweet tbh.

I think this might be the best and the most satisfying drama ending of the year. I love the "growing old together" thing!

That's all really! I might not have posted, but I loved reading your posts! Meet you all next time!!

• Like 10
  • Love 9

48 minutes ago, tensaitekikuroneko said:

I think this might be the best and the most satisfying drama ending of the year. I love the "growing old together" thing!

Yes, it has that special satisfaction which is beyond watching a wedding. This drama is truly unique. We don’t get to see a montage of wedding+happily ever after like the usual, but we’re still told of the biggest wedding in Ongsan, and then a huge jump into the future instead, because of course we also want to see our little Pil Gi all grown up. I love that we can still see traces of his demeanor when young, like the way he walks and talks. 

• Like 10
  • Love 4

Just when I thought the Joker arc was done... Good job show... you pulled it off... LOL. And of course it wouldn't be the same without the neighbourhood ajummas having a part to play in it. Of course!

What else can I say... this was bloody brilliant! From go to woe, from A to Z, from beginning to end. This drama was relentless in its pursuit of consistency, coherence and excellence. The non-linear storytelling and terrific use of an ensemble cast are just two of many many highlights. A truly fantastic cast of youngsters and veterans, stars and seasoned character actors. Props to all.

That finale... really took the cake. It was like watching a Frank Capra film from yesteryear... It's a Wonderful Life, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Meet John Doe etc etc. Capra was a master at feel good storytelling and loved his miracles too. The Christmas theme with the Salvos doing their annual Christmas collection and everyone in town doing their bit for DB and Ms Jo made it all the more Capraesque for me. Truly masterful in its execution. I was bawling my eyes out like a baby. Luckily I have tissue boxes all over the house. I wasn't expecting Ms Jo to live but yes... this is a magical drama... so I'm glad she got to enjoy more time with her family... to truly experience family after all the sacrifices she made for her daughter. Someone up there heard DB's cries... and against all odds... Ms Jo was given a second chance while the people of Ongsan added mileage to that miracle by doing their bit. It was really like watching It's a Wonderful Life. All the people that DB touched in her time at Ongsan, all pulled their weight... even Jin-gu saying his little prayer. Beautiful. 

(This chopping of onions will be my undoing... )

Anyway, I'm off for a bit. Will be back to chat more later.

• Like 8
  • Love 9

31 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I was bawling my eyes out like a baby. Luckily I have tissue boxes all over the house. I wasn't expecting Ms Jo to live but yes... this is a magical drama... so I'm glad she got to enjoy more time with her family... to truly experience family after all the sacrifices she made for her daughter. Someone up there heard DB's cries... and against all odds... Ms Jo was given a second chance while the people of Ongsan added mileage to that miracle by doing their bit. It was really like watching It's a Wonderful Life. All the people that DB touched in her time at Ongsan, all pulled their weight... even Jin-gu saying his little prayer. Beautiful. 

I was in tears as well. But this time instead of being heartbroken and deppressed, I was crying because I was so touched by the kindness of everyone in Ongsan. That ambulance scene was the best, it showed the very spirit and heart of Ongsan. I love this episode. A wonderful end to an amazingly heartwarming story. I'm so happy for NGT's second chance with JY. :lol: With regards to KJR and Jessica, I guess JR decided to try to make his marriage work out for the baby's sake. 

By the way, does anyone know the ratings for the final episode?

• Like 9
  • Love 4

This is the best drama in 2019 for me - ensemble, writing, acting, production.  What wonderful messages and stories! Inspired me to be a better person.

Ratings : highest for the series :wub:

E 39/40:  19.7%/23.8%

Think this is the highest rating for a non-weekend kdrama in 2019, though Sky Castle was cable-aired (someone please confirm for me)

• Like 8
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, htk9207 said:

That ambulance scene was the best, it showed the very spirit and heart of Ongsan.

Truly one of the finest moments in television I would say. I am such a sook... I tear up every single time I think about it. Especially with The First Noel playing the background. It is absolutely my favourite scene in the entire drama. And that's saying a lot when the drama is stocked with so many great moments.

What a beautiful picture of community done right. Everyone calling on their connections to help out one person was such a wonderful inversion of many a K drama especially the ones dealing with political wheeling and dealing. In all those dramas everyone uses connections to get ahead, to cover up their rear ends and the repeated lament is that if you don't have them, you can't get anywhere. Here we have a whole town/city banding together using their connections to help someone else. It does the heart a whole lot of good.

I am so happy that GT got his second chance with JY. It's hard to believe right? Especially when he was such a pompous dill at the start. But he was ready I think. I love that they have a child together... (At least that's how I understood the mandu scene) LOL. It's nice too that we were shown a little about how they got together and that she initiated everything. It wasn't some grand romance... it was his simplicity and straightforwardness she liked. All she wanted a guy that she could be herself with.

@tensaitekikuroneko Thank you for clearing up the issue with the uniform scene. I wonder why the Netflix subber didn't bother to translate the name badge when it was such a crucial piece of information. Here was I wondering why YS and DB didn't have any other children. It was odd to me at the time. But thank you... I'm happy that they had at least one together although I was expecting more. (I'm greedy)

Speaking of the Netflix subber, I think the word that was translated "mingled" when YS was teasing the Chief about Yeong-shim is probably not quite right. My Korean is virtually non-existent but it sounds similar to the Chinese word for "dating" or "going out". Anyway, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;) Whatever it is, I don't think it's the right English word to be using in that context anyway. I certainly wouldn't use "mingle" in that sort of way.

• Like 8
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:
5 hours ago, tensaitekikuroneko said:

Yes, it has that special satisfaction which is beyond watching a wedding. This drama is truly unique. We don’t get to see a montage of wedding+happily ever after like the usual, but we’re still told of the biggest wedding in Ongsan, and then a huge jump into the future instead, because of course we also want to see our little Pil Gi all grown up. I love that we can still see traces of his demeanor when young, like the way he walks and talks. 

You both nailed it. Also, we know it's a good drama because it doesn't make you go, "I hope they did it like this!" or "It would have been better if it went like this." There are moments where you feel annoyed or unsatisfied, but you can let it go because the drama is just too beautiful. This feeling is unlike watching other dramas where you just can't get past the annoyance lol. The writer and director are in control and they respect the viewers that they didn't go for easy narrations or directions (See, this was my problem with HDL. I like the show so much, the characters and plot, but the delivery and some plot lines were just... lacking and unsatisfying). Yes, there were cliches in this drama, but you can tell they challenged themselves, the writer especially, to create a story that everyone would love, but also something that's unique and heartfelt and unlike the regular dramas that are created just for the sake of having something to show the audience. :heart::star:

Camellia easily gets into my top 5 kdramas. It still doesn't beat Reply 1988 on my list but it's in the top 3. 

1. Reply 1988

2. It's a tie for When the Camellia Blooms and Because This is My First Life

31 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It's nice too that we were shown a little about how they got together and that she initiated everything.

I love this part too. YAS Jayeong! Go get him girlfriend! It's consistent with how her character was written and although Jayeong's strong personality may be one of the reasons why Gyutae strayed, I love that when Gyutae saw her red heels, he realized that it was her strong personality that made him fall in love with her in the first place. Hopefully as time passes, Gyutae gets to share the power in the relationship so they'd be fine until they're older. Seriously... there should be a spinoff of Gyutae and Jayeong's story. 

• Like 7
  • Love 6

Such a beautiful story and well executed. Not forget to mention the great casts, not only main lead but all actors/actresses. I am sure they are really proud to be part of this drama (few articles mention it for leading actors/actresses) as I am proud watching this series. Honestly I didn't expect anything when started waching this drama, only Gong Hyo Jin name that attracted me, but it's like a jackpot that I found this gem.

Oot, I am a student in the uni (i have a desk in the office) and I saw 3 friends watching this drama. Instead of discussing about research, we chose to talk about the drama :D. How we love it and not sure finding another good drama soon.

• Like 7
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, lollyminx said:

Camellia easily gets into my top 5 kdramas. It still doesn't beat Reply 1988 on my list but it's in the top 3. 

1. Reply 1988

2. It's a tie for When the Camellia Blooms and Because This is My First Life

I don't have a particular order but my favorite dramas also include Reply 1988. My other faves are Prison Playbook, Encounter, Another Oh Haeyoung, and now Camellia Blooms is joining the list permanently. 

4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I am so happy that GT got his second chance with JY. It's hard to believe right? Especially when he was such a pompous dill at the start.

Same here. It's a testament to how both actors are so good and dedicated with the role given to them. JY didn't have much screen time but I really like her a lot. I am so glad we were given a view of how they started as a couple even if it's on the last episode. To be honest, I really didn't care much about KJR and Jessica as a couple. For me, the couple who mattered, aside from our beloved Mandu Couple, is Mr. Peanuts and his cool and awesome wife. :D

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, lollyminx said:

I love this part too. YAS Jayeong! Go get him girlfriend! It's consistent with how her character was written and although Jayeong's strong personality may be one of the reasons why Gyutae strayed, I love that when Gyutae saw her red heels, he realized that it was her strong personality that made him fall in love with her in the first place. Hopefully as time passes, Gyutae gets to share the power in the relationship so they'd be fine until they're older. Seriously... there should be a spinoff of Gyutae and Jayeong's story. 

@lollyminx 

I think that's what their reconciliation was all about. That he had become stronger and he was not so intimidated by her intellect and personality. Afterall she chose him, actively pursued him and married him. It is true that he fell in love with her strong character but the part that encouraged him to go back to her side that evening was the knowledge that she wanted him, selected him from all her acquaintances, colleagues and even clients. She wasn't attracted to any of them despite their intellect, their status. They were "work" to her, he was "home" to her... a refuge from "work".

I suspect that what really made her angry about the HM debacle was that he became less like "home" and became more like "work". Being a divorce lawyer, the irony was that she was now living the story of many of her clients. He had crossed a line that she never thought he would or was at least incapable of doing so.

GT finally remembered in a backhanded sort of way that she was telling him that he was special. Things had gotten so bad between them that he had forgotten. I also believe she wanted him to get stronger and bolder... to be more proactive in their relationship.

I think their relationship went downhill because they stopped communicating honestly. Everyone here apparently seems to think that marriage just takes care of itself because you love the other person. ;) Take it from an ajumma here... it really doesn't. If you think you don't have to work at marriage, you have another thing coming.

So it was heartening to see JY being more honest with the MIL as well. It signalled a new era of family amongst the Nohs...

This episode I think also showed the best of JR. The scene at the press conference was great. This is KJR at his most attractive because he has finally come to grips with why his life went to hell in a handbasket. He was trying to fix the problem "out there" when he really needed to start with "the man in the mirror". It's a hugely important lesson for all of us, me included. Blaming external forces is easier always but having to look at oneself and see how I have contributed to the problem is much harder. It is easier to see the speck in other person's eye than the log in your own.

Although I wasn't expecting them to stay together, I am glad that JR chose to work at his marriage. It's really lovely to see him try and it's equally heartening to see Jessica respond to his efforts. The recent bit of adversity seems to have brought out all of his best masculine qualities. I am glad that Jessica is taking her parental responsibilities more seriously. She used to talk about being Mrs Kang Jang Ryeol... the image etc... but now she is beginning to be the reality. It won't be easy but I like that they're trying.

I don't think working at marriage comes easily to anyone. But if you prioritize your mate, protect his/her heart and accord each other equal respect... you will go far. 

(Consider this free advice from an ajumma) :D

• Like 5
  • Love 8
  • Insightful 4

Truly satisfied with this drama, never thought I’d cry bucket of tears when I first started this drama and never thought to like it either. The writing and and entire cast are all superb. Kudos to everyone involved in this amazing kdrama. That plot twist though with the joker thing! I knew I’m right about HS all along hahahaha (also a great villain), I love the neighbourhood ahjummas they’re my favourite lol. I guess one thing i’d have like to see is KP interaction with his half-sister (Jessica’s daughter), it would have been nice if they had scenes together with pilgu being a good older brother to a pooping bald baby. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2