[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

it ended too quickly.. i can see why KGE was casted the role is perfect for her

i had a quick look at some real time comments on naver and wow knets are a bunch of demanding viewers, they complaint on everything...the chemistry, the acting... the voice tones. can't they be nicer for once. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

@SophieH no worries, the beginning episodes always gather plenty of critics. Even crash landing on you saw its fair share at the beginning. LOTBS also did. Heirs did too. I haven’t watched a drama that didn’t. It’ll calm down as the show goes on. 

Also, I’m not sure why the chemistry talk because they’re totally on the same wavelength imo.

——————————————

Before, we speculated Luna was working with Savior Lee Gon but based off of her character description, I believe she is working with Lee Lim. She must have lured LG into Korea for a reason. LL seems to have been waiting for his entrance hence why he took note of the dramatic stop in time. His goal may be to kill LG in Korea and then take over Corea. It’ll be easier done in Korea as LG has no one.

I need to watch with subtitles to understand what LL is doing because something is definitely up! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SophieH said:

it ended too quickly.. i can see why KGE was casted the role is perfect for her

i had a quick look at some real time comments on naver and wow knets are a bunch of demanding viewers, they complaint on everything...the chemistry, the acting... the voice tones. can't they be nicer for once. 

LONG RANT AHEAD! :)

I have found that I lost my joy watching this show because of all the critics. I get that the stakes are all high and what not, but it shows that this generation has become so hard to please. The critics over the actors is just wow! They either love Kim Go eun or hate her, and same with Lee min ho, Gosh, the love and hate he got.

Also people (not people here, but the ones letting this news affect the drama) complaining about about Jung Eun Chae affair news, while the whole country are currently obsess over a show about marital affairs/divorce? 

Im gonna tune out from all the critics and such and only check this thread from time to time. I want to enjoy this drama like I enjoyed heirs and LOTBS, without the burden or finding out ratings and reading hate comments which I find myself lurking for those comments lately.

But part of me is a bit bummed, last year I tuned it to DB for all the recaps (mostly Lee min ho dramas) and honestly I don’t mind the constructive criticism that girlfriday and/or javabeans has, infact I tuned in those constructive opinion regarding my beloved dramas, because they are a good writers and it’s their job to deconstruct dramas. But they also always point out the good, and give the credits where the credit dues. Now..... sigh.... it’s full on hatreds, and cynicism/awful tasteless sarcasm. 

Its almost like they watch something just to tear it apart!

i think the advantage of the other drama currently raking up the ratings is because 

1. Not much hype around it

2. It’s not anticipated so people tuning in expect nothing and the surprise of how thrilling it is create this wave. Which is fine and ok! 

disadvantage of the king  are

1. KIM EUN SOOK DRAMA

2. LMH and KGE comeback drama

3. Highly anticipated

4. The hype and buzz around it, makes people really expect big and grand (not giving permission for flaws or imperfection). Almost reminds me of the heir. And while I did enjoy the stills and teasers, I was kinda worry that it will set such high anticipation and will let people down. 

Now lastly, for me personally, I love this show, I’m finding myself looking forward to the next one (haven’t watch the 2nd episode). It does require some thinking and I don’t mind, infact I love it! And add some kdrama signature fluff love story. Sign me in! 

I watch critical acclaim show breaking bad, GOT, better call Saul and ozarks. 

Also, I watch indie movies and that’s how I found KGE. If people think she is not a good actor, I guess they haven’t check out her film work. 

On her breakthrough project, she went on full nude and provocative scene. You like it or not, Girl is a serious actor. 

Sigh.... I love you all in this group and sorry for the long rant. But people need to chill and watch the show and enjoy it.!

All this rant is not pertaining to people on this threat. I know we all here to enjoy the show.

end rant.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

To the critics.

Complain all you want but you are adding to the ratings for the show. Since you have to be watching in order to be complaining.

And with popularity comes people who will dig into your past. Look at what has happened with Jung Eun Chae.

Bleh.

PS I still haven't watched last night's episode. Tomorrow will be binge time for me!

• Like 10

Wow it's moving fast. I knew there will be a romance and all but wasn't expecting him to be THAT decisive already. I don't do spoilers so soon after airing.

Needless to say the endless jokes about LMH's looks made me laugh. The fawning females in the library made me laugh so much I had to repeat it.

Well at least I now know know which universe he ends up in. His shopping habit is out of this world. Pun not intended. I didn't count the buttons. But heck surely some of you would know your diamonds. Just calculate how much a 5 carat E colour VVS1 would cost you- just the stone. Multiply that by 8. Or rather calculate it as 2 carat- since its more common and we would know the price. But the buttons were bigger.

So either way he needs to be in Corea for the ending. Otherwise no Seoul policewoman can support his spending habits.

• Like 8
  • LOL 13

Interesting parallel.

I have started the episode, so that bunny girl is luna, which acc. to wiki is kim go eun.

So in parallel world, a king is poor, a police person is a thief or criminal. So can injuries be parallel as well? 

But at the same time WDH's both characters are in security or police or whatever, so the above point loses ground.It is quite complicated.

And einstein's theory, i wonder if our parallels exist too and thriving? Kim eun sook does good research for her work!

Plus don't give too much thought to knetizens commnts. If hate comments were true opinions, most actors would've been finished by now. Most comments are positive!

• Like 10
  • Love 1

@scrawford I totally understand your rant. People were out to get this show to begin it. Everyone is watching to see where it goes. Some are genuinely trying to enjoy it while others are watching to critic it. Many are hoping it will succeed while many are waiting for it to fail. People are quick to take sides, love it or hate it. It’s a hot topic! Those who were never genuine about giving it a try are loud about how they hated episode 1 and cheering that the ratings were “not as high as it should have been.” That’s the curse that comes with a drama that has buzz. But it will all pass as the drama continues. Right now, people don’t fully understand the story yet, as with any beginning, but those who want it to fail are quick to say it’s confusing and not worth a watch. By episode 4, when things start to clear up, hate will begin to leave. It’s best to just stick to here where everyone is friendly and supports all actors and real discussions take place about the drama and not the actors. Let’s not let them ruin the fun for us because this drama is going to be a hell of a wonderful ride. 

On the bright side, I thoroughly enjoyed episode 2. My oh my, Jo Yeong, you have competition. Lee Gon with Jo Eun Sup is just gold! JY and JES are total opposites. They’re kind of like your alter egos. JY is one to follow the rules and he’ll try to stop the king from doing what’s “wrong”. JES, on the other hand, rides along with the king. I ship both but I think we’ll get to have a little more fun with the king and JES. 

I’m convinced writer Kim is a fangirl! I can’t count the number of times it was mentioned in this episode how handsome the king is. Because it’s true, he really is!

I mentioned this earlier but I love the way the king carries himself. Or in better words, I love LMH’s portrayal of the king. The way he speaks and walks makes the entire character and I’m living for it! 

Also loving our girl, JTE. She is going to be one of the baddest girl characters KES has ever written. I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing her put the king in his place several more times hahaha.

I’m loving the bits and pieces of flashbacks. I’m particularly intrigued by the one of the king and his grandma (I refuse to call her the court lady, she is grandma!). Young king says he heard the flute that night, but from what I recall, no one blew the flute. Was the flute calling out to him? I’m going to say the flute knows it’s rightful owner. 

Also, I laughed so hard at JTE trying to seduce guys to join taekwondo! Hey, she got what she asked for. Kang shin jae definitely fell for her in this moment. It actually makes me ship them a little too. 

I do wonder what Lee Lim is up to. I’m going to take a wild guess that the paint we always see him with is somehow mixed with blood? Does he fulfill the desires of people with evil thoughts? Is the case JTE currently investigating actually LL’s doing? It’s interesting how we get this story of the king mixed in with some fantasy and crime at the same time. I have a hunch the crimes are connected to the main plot. Of course, we know LL eventually lands in the hands of JTE so I would assume he must have committed a crime. And he probably has been all these years. I mean, he clearly crashed into those young boys and caused them injuries they won’t be able to recover from. This man knows no boundaries, he will harm anyone! 

Plenty of things to discuss but I’ll leave off with that. Until later :D

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

Netizens comments :

(+78,-14) What was Kim Goeun in her previous life?
Nam Joobok is born with... ㅎㅎㅎ

(+33,-8) Lee Minho is really cool .

(+36,-11) Lee Minho so cool ㅠㅠ

(+20,-8) Half crazy ㅋㅋㅋ He's the emperor.

(+18,-11) I believe and watch Kim Eunsook.

(+18,-9) Amazing, it's so fun. Lee Minho's acting so good.

(+17,-8) Lee Minho is getting handsome.

Netizens comments :

(+195,-9) Auntie, what are you doing there?

(+151,-27) So cute.
Your aunt is a charming actress.
I think I'll really like it when it's bigger. ㅠㅠ

(+50,-2) ㅋㅋㅋㅋ They're so cute like they will go to TV

(+10,-1) How proud they must be! ㅋㅋㅋHow nice!

(+8,0) So cute ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

(+7,-1) Cute!

(+4,0) Why is aunt coming out of there?~~~

• Like 10
  • Love 6

40 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

Wow it's moving fast. I knew there will be a romance and all but wasn't expecting him to be THAT decisive already. I don't do spoilers so soon after airing.

Needless to say the endless jokes about LMH's looks made me laugh. The fawning females in the library made me laugh so much I had to repeat it.

Well at least I now know know which universe he ends up in. His shopping habit is out of this world. Pun not intended. I didn't count the buttons. But heck surely some of you would know your diamonds. Just calculate how much a 5 carat E colour VVS1 would cost you- just the stone. Multiply that by 8. Or rather calculate it as 2 carat- since its more common and we would know the price. But the buttons were bigger.

So either way he needs to be in Corea for the ending. Otherwise no Seoul policewoman can support his spending habits.

I couldn’t decide whether to like or laugh at your comment. But I laughed so hard at your last sentence because it is so true! The king must return to where he belongs. In the span of how many days, he spent all of the money he got from all his diamonds. Hahahaha. How in the world? I died laughing when they showed the clip of his coat hanging, buttonless :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 10

29 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

@scrawford I totally understand your rant. People were out to get this show to begin it. Everyone is watching to see where it goes. Some are genuinely trying to enjoy it while others are watching to critic it. Many are hoping it will succeed while many are waiting for it to fail. People are quick to take sides, love it or hate it. It’s a hot topic! Those who were never genuine about giving it a try are loud about how they hated episode 1 and cheering that the ratings were “not as high as it should have been.” That’s the curse that comes with a drama that has buzz. But it will all pass as the drama continues. Right now, people don’t fully understand the story yet, as with any beginning, but those who want it to fail are quick to say it’s confusing and not worth a watch. By episode 4, when things start to clear up, hate will begin to leave. It’s best to just stick to here where everyone is friendly and supports all actors and real discussions take place about the drama and not the actors. Let’s not let them ruin the fun for us because this drama is going to be a hell of a wonderful ride. 

This pretty much. These people are not viewers to be honest they are few stans of other biases so for them it's more like politics to drop a critic and we have known them for the last 11 years since 09 they have been around basically same group. To be honest kinda of missed them as we have had some legendary hot topics and fans wars and what not thru out the last decade +. The biggest clashes were heirs era and BOF era. But in reality they are not viewers as per say nor targetted audience but a few hardcore stans who have already a goal and majority of the time they seem to be affected by others successes and the same thing happened to Itaewon class once it got the hype they popped up. If there is no buzz they never pop up. I expect them to come out in all the review articles and stuff like that but don't worry we will be there to make it entertaining both for them and for us.:D

We have been having discussions for 11 years we know each other better than anyone else. We need no introduction as to who they are. But all in all I tend to enjoy their existence as they create debates and what not and something our fans can engage in

• Like 13
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

@Scrawford - here’s my rant! I completely agree with you. DB has changed since Javabeans and Girl Friday gave it over to other people. I think they should stick to selling sweets because they have ruined the pleasure of lively opinions for me. I find it hard to believe how vicious some comments are.

I live thousands of miles away from SK and seeing it from this distance this drama is a fantastic hit- trending second in the world alone tells you how big this is.

He is a global star - probably the most popular Korean actor ever worldwide. As a fan I feel so proud of him, what he has achieved and how he has stayed so true to himself.

I’m also only going to be reading this thread and the LMH one!

• Like 7
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2020 at 10:07 AM, jerboa83 said:

Sageuk? What do you mean? I haven't watched the episode yet, but both the parallel worlds have a contemporary setting, haven't they? 

Yes, it's a sageuk, though not fully one. It has two parallel universes, and one of it involves some historical aspects (of a Korean emperor and his empire), albeit fictional.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sageukhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King:_Eternal_Monarch 

The romance fantasy tells the story of people who exist in two parallel universes of a fictional Korean empire, and a modern world similar to today’s South Korea.

Source: 1

The-King-sageuk.png

• Like 10

@scrawford  don't let what others say get you down. There will always be people who are looking to pick hole in something. That's why I didn't read anything about the first episode until I could watch it myself. After all it's about weather or not it hooks me not what others think. I have been disappointed in a lot of K drama shows recently so I am not one who automatically jumps on the K drama band wagon but I loved this show here is my take for what it's worth.

My review:

Rarely does the hype about a drama live up to it’s reality.  We expect so much so when the first episode air we are almost always  disappointed. Well this time I am not disappointed. In fact the first episode took my breath away. From the opening theme song till the last moment I was on the edge of my seat. This has everything I want in a drama. There were the opening suspenseful scenes when the plot is introduced. It hooked me right away with the emotional death of the king’s father. We see the kings’ traumatic experiences relating to his father’s murder and his assent to the throne. We are introduced to the young boy who will grow to be his closest confidant in a way that explains why they will be so close.  The bond that is built between these two characters masterfully unfolds in just a few short scenes as we are treated to the beginning of what I predict will be a great bromance, When we shift into present day in the two parallel universes the writer introduces even more suspense to keep us guessing. Is there a character that has a match in the parallel world? Is there only one real king as his parallel was killed by the villain in our Korea? The plot is moving so fast that thank God the writers introduce elements that humanize the king and allow us to catch our breath. We learn that the kings’ old nurse maid hides charms that will help him find love. The king and the captain of the guard have playful exchanges that show just how close and deep their relationship is.  In modern day Korea we meet a woman detective who is just a quirky enough badass to be interesting. It all unfolds in a masterful way with an excellent soundtrack, effects and visuals. My one complaint is that I can’t binge watch this and will have to wait each week to see what unfolds. Does The King: The Eternal Monarch deliver? My answer is yes and then some. This is the must see drama of the year.

• Like 13
  • Love 2