[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

1 hour ago, vangsweetie637 said:

@Time loop I am from the west coast. I usually stay on this thread until 12 or 1 am then sleep if I can lol.

Same here tho I tend to overstay sometimes if I am in a conversation but all in all feel like you guys are doing better then us here on the east coast but things are getting better slowly thank god 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

30 minutes ago, CallieP said:

You are right. It is on Viki in the US

You checked my link right? You wrote it was on the US netflix in the last page I was surprised because I was certain that it was not there only in 8 countries but it's good that you checked the source out. Yes it's on Viki and Hulu. 

I haven't visited viki in years is it still free platform or do people need to pay to become members nowadays?

• Like 2

Sorry guys but the topic of this thread is the drama itself... not the actors or actresses themselves as they have their own threads. Don't be surprised if you don't find your post any longer. Remember the post of @Jillia above!

Thanks for your comprehension and cooperation!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

1 minute ago, bebebisous33 said:

Sorry guys but the topic of this thread is the drama itself... not the actors or actresses themselves as they have their own threads. Don't be surprised if you don't find your post any longer. Remember the post of @Jillia above!

I thought it was weird my heartfelt post disappeared all of sudden. I was in nostalgic mood:bawling:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@CallieP omo, we digressed on the subjects here :D let’s go back to focus on the drama and its assets :) we have good memories of LMH ;)

@Time loop i am actually also in belief that the two world can merge. Thing is that Time is being manipulated here and with Time, anything can throw the balance off and cause a disruption that can no longer be reversed. 

@bebebisous33 thanks for the reminder! I apologize for going off-topic :D

@Joanna Alfson It’s better to be reminded so our thread won’t run into trouble :D btw, Soju is restocked :lol:

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, csmiller1954 said:

The complexity is wonderful.  I love romance and sci-fi and  having both in the same drama, perfect.

Yes, this series can be enjoyed at any age if you have an inquiring mind. I also love sci-fi/fantasy combined with romance, a major reason I love kdrama!

• Like 4

On 5/20/2020 at 9:22 PM, csmiller1954 said:

Any woman with warm blood would have fallen for the king.   Hell, I'm old and I've fallen for him.  Bring me a man with half is attributes and in the 65 - 70 age range and I'm his.  He doesn't even have to be a king.  The King is amazing.  

Spoken like a true woman. Any healthy woman would want the king. JTE desires the king in all shapes and ways :lol:

On 5/20/2020 at 9:19 PM, vangsweetie637 said:

at this point, I also want a hot kiss scene for our JY. I want him to show us that he is not always cold but can be very ‘hot’ too :w00t: 

I want him to get with both Na'ris in both worlds tho feeling slightly bad for ES because he deserves better

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Ok. Thanks for the reminder. I am going to try to look back at this post next time. You're so kind. 

Edit: I am going to try to wait for Lee Gon, Tae Eul, and Lee Lim too! I think we all know he's the bad guy. But don't some of ya'll think we are interested in his story?

• Like 5

7 hours ago, CallieP said:

LG said this beautiful mathematics meshed with poetry. I really thought it was just language for the drama. never imagined mathematics to be considered beautiful like art.

Well said! I love the poetry in this series, and LG’s riffs on mathematics are almost poetic in themselves. Many people have drawn parallels between mathematics and music, another art, as well, and there seem to be a fair number of mathematicians that also play or or are otherwise seriously into music:  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/why-are-so-many-mathemati_b_9814796

• Like 4
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, msdot said:

Well said! I love the poetry in this series, and LG’s riffs on mathematics are almost poetic in themselves. Many people have drawn parallels between mathematics and music, another art, as well, and there seem to be a fair number of mathematicians that also play or or are otherwise seriously into music:  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/why-are-so-many-mathemati_b_9814796

Thank you for posting this! I love the poetry in King Eternal Monarch too!  Are you talking about the parts where Lee Gon is narrating? Lee Gon loves mathematics and science, right? I didn't understand in the beginning. I hope I'm following you. I'm sorry if this isn't what you meant. I think mathematics is a big role in this drama. :bawling:

Edit: Thanks for sharing the article. You're awesome! :wub::heart:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Heretorant said:

Oh no, did kill the mood in here? I’m a pessimist, I tell you

No you are not :D

so I stand with @bebebisous33 on i dont think that there will be be a sad ending.

My simpel but weird logic: There is too much foreshadowing of death and sadness so yes... I think the ending will be happy or somewhat happy.

but i also think some characters will be lost and something big has to happen for LG to say what he did in the last scene of episode 10. what will motivate him to go back or forth or in a loop on a timeline? Something really bad to someone he considers dear... 

as this is not a gay love story so JY cant be the one whose injury or death motivates the king, thus we are left with who?

@mrsj3n and @Heretorant i want to but I feel that tomorrow's episode might have loads of suspense elements and thus I wont be able to keep my patience. 

Again a weird logic: the ratings have been low and they have changed some team members, so my guess is they will try to have loads of hooks before intervals and at the end... my prediction -- wait for episode 13 will feel even longer than usual. I have literally wasted 3 days watching and rewatching some parts and scenes of this series (obssessed much?)!! Real life keeps calling and i keep dilly dallying :D

i am excited for tomorrow. I want to see but not see the next episode... u know what I mean, right? What if expectations are not met?

btw in my brain i was cooking a vision: what if for once director keeps us guessing with good storytelling as to who is rescued by the king, JTE or Luna for like one episode... i would love it! I want some thrill... now!

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I have to do alot of back reading 18 pages to be exact. Read some of the pages but 18 is to much. Just gonna drop my own theory on you guys or to put it short a basic delusional fanfic. 

- I don't believe in merger and they will close the portal so everything stays the same in both worlds 

- JTE will chose to leave behind her shitty low paying job to become a wealthy queen and obviously she hit the jackpot 

- Lee Lim gets stopped somehow via time-travel destroying his plans before he even sets them in motion

- JTE dies multiple times forcing LG to go back tirelessly time after time while this song is playing in the background:lol:

While I am going completely melodramtic on the other end

200.gif

While they earn for each other 

21b8df826eccfcdbe080f4460dcb9dec5ba095c9

• Like 5
  • LOL 8

3 minutes ago, Dramafreak said:

i am excited for tomorrow. I want to see but not see the next episode... u know what I mean, right? What if expectations are not met?

btw in my brain i was cooking a vision: what if for once director keeps us guessing with good storytelling as to who is rescued by the king, JTE or Luna for like one episode... i would love it! I want some thrill... now!

I do know what you mean! I’m feeling the same way. Episode 10 hyped me up! I have high expectations for episode 11. They will either be met or not. And quite honestly, I root for this drama so hard because it’s pretty much the underdog at this point with all the negative buzz around it. I want episode 11-16 to be epic and blow people’s mind, mine included :D 

I’ve made up my mind that’s JTE in the stills but hey, it doesn’t stop me from marveling at such an idea. It would be thrilling and suspenseful for certain! 

• Like 13
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, SweetButters said:

@bebebisous33 Go to my post on pg. 351, where I was posted a comparison of JTE's laptop in ep1 to other episodes. Also, look how the ep1 room is the same as the ROK version featured in other episodes. You said, "it is impossible", implying that it cannot happen. I'm saying the impossible can happen. Speaking from a view of a scientist, we never say anything is impossible, we simply say that it has yet to be discovered. We tend to view what we see with some sense of doubt. TKEM is not all about faith and belief. Sure, there are many philosophical arguments made in TKEM, but KES also interconnects these arguments to literary elements as well as to science, mathematics, and popular culture. What is "real" and what is "fiction" is relative. We as viewers see KOC as "fiction", while if we were in a sense to enter the world of TKEM, would the characters themselves say KOC is "fiction"? Similarly, if in our reality a parallel world exists, would its inhabitants say our world was "fiction" and theirs was "real" or vice versa?

Like I said, what I posted on pg. 351 is potential evidence to show that the scene is in ROK. We as observers or viewers of TKEM, do not know for certain. We are like the observers in Schrodinger's cat experiment !

@bebebisous33 @SweetButters @Time loop I missed out your discussion on the interrogation scene in ep1. Here are my take on that early on and am more convienced after 10 episodes :) 

In ep1, JTE was interrogating evil uncle but did not appear to know him as LG's uncle from different universe. And yet, from ep 5 and 6, we know that she learned about LR from online search and LG's telling of that tragic event. The only explanation why JET did not seem to know LR (LL) is that the interrogation took place in different round of LG and JTE inter-fated time  loop. That personal identification document on table in interrogation scene looked to be the one LG received in envelop and given to JTE in RoK to help investigation about LR. In that document, on the bottom left has a date of June 25 1995 사망 like died on June 25 1995.  It was the date Corea declared LR's death on their record. The interrogation location was in RoK police station. @SweetButtershas done forensic comparing photos of location in Corea and RoK. :thumbsup:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, 2handsintertwined said:

! I love the poetry in King Eternal Monarch too!  Are you talking about the parts where Lee Gon is narrating?

Thanks for your kind comment, @2handsintertwined! When I said LG’s riffs on mathematics were almost poetic, I was referring to how he put his thinking about their relationship into mathematics, as well as some of his use of math as a way to describe his perceptions or feelings, e.g. being trapped under the square root sign and trying not to panic. Incredibly creative writing by the screenwriter.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, 1ouise said:
5 hours ago, Time loop said:

How can two parallel worlds merge together and become one??? it's logistically impossible? This must be a wild theory on your end

Too funny!  :lol:  Parallel worlds are fiction, so anything goes. 

I get it, though, we want some kind of logic, even before logistics.

I could imagine that one world could disappear Wizard of Oz style, for example. 

I'm not sayin' we would be happy about it.

I think the writer has made it very clear from beginning that these are two parallel universes with two different developments, This is not one real world and the other a mirage. If it is just a mirage, there wouldn't have need for LR (LL) to  swap people.  

There is however a way to merge two worlds thus. One colonizes the other. Like earth being taken over by aliens. If that happens, we are all doomed. :joy:

9 hours ago, CallieP said:

@KeikokokoYou said that NYTimes recommended CLOY?  Wow! I tried a google search but could not find it. Did they recommend King? What made you decide to pick King?  Just curious.

NYT mentioned CLOY because of people's curiosity of North Korean everyday people's life. It's less about the drama itself but the fact it has scene portraying N. Korean daily life that's not usually seen by West. 

I picked up The King because it was Netflix put it on the recommended list after I watched CLOY. In fact, Netflix put lots of Kdrama on my  home screen after I watched CLOY :crazy:. Among all Kdrama, I picked The King because of parallel universes fantasy element of it. :) I am happy with my choice as you can see. :) 

Admin, can you please help merge two consecutive posts into one. Sorry for the trouble. Still learning

13 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

But how would Korea explain the existence of KOC? It is impossible. In my opinion, this marks the beginning and the ending of the story... Notice that Lee Gon keeps saying this: the beginning and the ending of something. Yes, Lee Gon's time travel will change many things... Lee Rim will still kill someone as his face is covered in blood and he is not denying the murder but the time line has changed. He is arrested in February 2020...

My thinking is that the interrogation scene is the mid-late point of drama timeline wise. It serves as the devise to begin telling backstory of flute, Corea, and that tragic event and how two universes collided to viewers in ep 1 . We will be lead back to this scene again and onward. While LR (LL) was captured and questioned, his grand evil plan has been activated in Corea and RoK and happening. We have seen LR’s plan more clearly with his chess game pieces gradually getting into position for the final attack. We will see how JG and JTE collaborate to defeat LR and put the universes back to natural order in last two episodes, I think. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 6

41 minutes ago, Keikokoko said:

@bebebisous33 @SweetButters @Time loop I missed out your discussion on the interrogation scene in ep1. Here are my take on that early on and am more convienced after 10 episodes :) 

In ep1, JTE was interrogating evil uncle but did not appear to know him as LG's uncle from different universe. And yet, from ep 5 and 6, we know that she learned about LR from online search and LG's telling of that tragic event. The only explanation why JET did not seem to know LR (LL) is that the interrogation took place in different round of LG and JTE inter-fated time  loop. That personal identification document on table in interrogation scene looked to be the one LG received in envelop and given to JTE in RoK to help investigation about LR. In that document, on the bottom left has a date of June 25 1995 사망 like died on June 25 1995.  It was the date Corea declared LR's death on their record. The interrogation location was in RoK police station. @SweetButtershas done forensic comparing photos of location in Corea and RoK. :thumbsup:

Episode 1 is definitely in ROK as sweetbutters said. It was hard to accept it being in KOC due to the crossing issues and also JTE has no jurisdiction power in KOC and the same with SJ. 

The king would probably want to behead Lee Lim immediately if he ever came into his possession which would rule out any interrogation in KOC

• Like 10

41 minutes ago, msdot said:

Thanks for your kind comment, @2handsintertwined! When I said LG’s riffs on mathematics were almost poetic, I was referring to how he put his thinking about their relationship into mathematics, as well as some of his use of math as a way to describe his perceptions or feelings, e.g. being trapped under the square root sign and trying not to panic. Incredibly creative writing by the screenwriter.

Ok. Thank you! And you're welcome. :wub::heart: I'm glad you explained what you were trying to say about Lee Gon. I agree! I also think the screenwriter is incredibly creative! You said Lee Gon uses mathematics to describe his feelings and relationships. I think that makes him mysterious, smart, and sexy! I love your thoughts :wub::heart: 

• Like 8
  • Love 1