[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

43 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

tvn에서 방영했으면 브금도 그렇고 메이킹도 많이 올려주고 마케팅 잘되서 시청률도 높았을텐데 아숩 ㅜㅠㅠㅠ
If it was aired on tvn, it would have been a lot of marketing, and it would have made a lot of marketing and marketing, so the audience rating would have been high.

You have a good point. I was reading some of the new comments in Naver and your post reminded me of this comment. When I heard news of LMH and KES collaboration, I thought it would be aired on cable TV. I think it would have been better. Kim Eun Sook's last two hit dramas were also aired on tvn. I don't understand why she did not go with tvN as before. SBS needs to advertise more. Release pictures and other stuff please. 

I know so many thing about Korean sector :lol:Because I have watched Korean drama and I search everything for years , I can understand what they think 

I said  Paul Kim will sing OST for this drama and reality :lol:

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Geolyvseven said:

KES can focus more on it now that she has a world build in place and much easier for her then starting from ground zero and add couple of few seasons on top of it tho obviously shorter with 8 episodes per season. This cast is absolutely great plus it has audience with a great premise fantasy parallel worlds-time travel. There is green light continuity here. I just hope that she dosen't do the same ending like others ending season 1 while having in mind season 2. She should see her script out in this season than she should write another script that continues and builds on season 2 and than go from there and on to the 3rd season. 

The potential is unlimited due to the source material she has in hand currently with time-travel, mystery and intriguing. It will be good as it already has audience on netflix. The main actors should remain (LMGXKGE) for couple more seasons. I think both want to go back to the big screen but doing 3-4 months a year ''The King: Eternal Monarch'' Won't be time consuming and they could still do movies and continue this drama so it won't cause schedule conflict but as for them getting re-casted in other dramas is just not viable option as they have already done to many recently it would be waste of time and energy on their behalf. Other actors should also get the chance to get casted but using the same actors like LMH and KGE again and again can cause fatigue and not wise so both remaining on this drama is the good outcome for everyone. The audience, screen writer and actors everyone is satisfied 

You forgot KES she has also done hell'va alot of dramas recently. She should take good several years of hiatus. But I am down with her all the way giving us couple of more seasons that would be something interesting as she will continue to build on the same world. She is a talented writer no doubt. She is Mrs Kdramaland herself

• Like 8

On 5/4/2020 at 5:55 PM, gwin said:

Thanks!  I am asking because I just noticed Netflix already updated and is now showing the airing dates up to Episode 14 (airing May 30). Are these fixed or possible they might change depending on shooting schedule?  

An upcoming drama was already announced today to air on June 12, which would take over the Fri-Sat timeslot after The King ends on June 6.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

The negative forces are so focused on this drama are too many.  Like some people want it to fail so badly. They have united negative campaign all over the internet. So tragic that hate for writer and actors can take some people too far.

I hope king cast and crew stays strong and get the desired ratings. 

Perhaps these critics are paid by certain parties to create discord, hoping that the show would fail?  I remember @gtLmh0622mention sometime ago that some agencies try to do that in order to bring down LMH and his dramas and bring promote their own actors or perhaps bring down KES.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Wanderer062287 said:

It's Thursday. How is it still #2 in my country? :joy::blush: 

Don't worry chinggu! It's only #2 because the #1 spot is another series which as new episodes. Let's continue to replay this until it takes on the # 1 spot again. :wub:

49 minutes ago, syntyche said:

An upcoming drama was already announced today to air on June 12, which would take over the Fri-Sat timeslot after The King ends on June 6.  

OMG this made me a little sad. I mean, we aren't even half way through the drama but I can't bear the thought of it ending after episode 16 :tears: I hope we will be given a special or a bts and I hope our cast will be given a reward vacation (though that seems hard during these times but still!)

@Jemrie always love your photos and gifs!! :sweatingbullets:

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, graceyco said:

Don't worry chinggu! It's only #2 because the #1 spot is another series which as new episodes. Let's continue to replay this until it takes on the # 1 spot again

#1 here is The Last Dance - the NBA series, essentially an unconquerable wall HAHA but it's the highest of all the dramas in the list so I'm very happy :wub: I'm sure itll be back at #1 tomorrow!!!

• Like 4

I just want to add my two cents. 
Theory1: The concept of polar opposites. I think the doppelgängers are pretty much the personality or the characters of their worst fears. 
I might be wrong of course, but Jo Young as a child has the exact same hair style as adult Jo Eun Seob. As if showing that Jo Eun Seob never grew up (great for comedy relief tho) and that to Jo Young is his worst fear ie. Not being able to protect his king, or a coward in a sense. 
Le Rim (the illegimate brother to the king’s father) saw himself in a wheelchair - paralyzed ie weak. That is his fear as he considered himself to be omnipotent. 

Im willing to bet Luna is Jung Tae’s worst fear ie. Petty criminal with no roots, and no morals . 
Lee Gon could be a wild card, and the rest who don’t have doppelgängers. The ones that are similar in personalities in both worlds probably don’t have any fears. 
Theory 2-Portals 

I think there are 3 portals 

1. The bamboo portal 

2. The one the uncle goes thru

3. The one where the red balloon is, and this is where I think the flute was made. Most likely the evil uncle will destroy the portals. Not knowing that Jung Te planted flowers in both worlds. 

Kudos to the actors! Because LMH has grown on me in this drama. After returning from military service...He is playing his part wonderfully.. I’ve always liked the other actors, and I’ll pat them on their backs too. :D

• Like 13
  • Insightful 5
  • Thanks 1

I have been reading on some of the criticisms being given to this drama. I don’t take it too hard since I usually pay more attention to how I take on a drama. 

I think for us to fully understand this drama, we have to pay more attention to what the author is giving us than what we are expecting in reality. As this is a fantasy genre, the fantasy elements will surely outrun the realism we are expecting. 

Some of the criticism i am reading from this drama is actually because viewers are expecting a lot from this drama since it was so hyped (and it is starring LMH). With high expectations, it is easier to notice small mistakes. 

But since viewers also expect realism then when it’s not exactly the way as expected then it can become disappointment and criticism. I don’t think we can avoid the criticism but it is better to take this drama as it is. It’s a fantasy genre so we have to remember that most elements will be in the fantasy of the author’s mind. Realism will also be present but it is like reading a book. Watching dramas are the same. We watch then analyze and theorize what is being presented. 

As it is being portrayed to us, all i am really hoping for is that the fantasy presented to us actually comes full circle in the end. I would be more disappointed if the story gets lost in the middle with tons of loop holes and when it ends, i am left with a bigger question mark( me=????=nope). That would be much more disappointing for me as the viewer. 

with that being said, for those who are enjoying the drama, don’t pay too much attention to the negative perspectives. We still have a lot to theorize on ;)

source.gif

• Like 16
  • LOL 3

A very good review on Weibo.

https://www.weibo.com/5264484713/J0ISz4jix?type=repost#_rnd1588822022108

Sorry that I'm busy at work, just used translator for translation with a little amendment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've watched the six episodes over and over again

Each time, different details can be found

KES scriptwriter is worthy of her, through quantum mechanics and Alice in wonderland combined a parallel world, will feel abrupt, but also feel that it makes sense, each time to see the results will have different conjecture, and see how the final gold circle

At the same time, Kim weaves a lot of criticism to the real society into the plot

Beyond the much-malled-up gap between rich and poor, plutocracy

In addition, the youngest female prime minister of the Korean empire accurately criticized gender discrimination, and the policies of the female prime minister mirrored various policies and achievements of the current prime minister Moon Jae-in

The sixth episode of the naval battle looks like it's useless, but it's not

Ethnic tensions between South Korea and Japan have been sharp

When I traveled to Korea, I could hardly see any Japanese products on the whole street. Kia cars were running all over the street, and Toyota cars were rarely seen

The Korean nation is a very xenophobic and united nation. Through a sea war, the screenwriter has created a wise and brave emperor and a fearless nation. The purpose of the film is to inspire national pride and national confidence, just like the Wolf warrior series.

This is much better than the "crotch of land mines, raise your hand eighty thousand miles" anti-japanese god drama every September and October

Ideas should be subtly influencing change, not directly and compulsively exposed

The director also shot very awesome

The sixth episode has a long shot of nearly a minute, which vividly and richly interprets the crooked streets and alleys in South Korea, especially with the breath of life

It feels like a throwback to the well-made Hong Kong films & TVB of the 1990s and early 20th century, when Mr. Cheung used to shoot long shots

Match a color absolutely, the ginkgo biloba of autumn gold and half red maple leaf interweave together, companion is accompanied by the Lee Minho of black garment set pharm and the white horse of white of whole body, configuration color is very easy to look at and comfortable, the simple sense that gave the quality of big movies

Kim Gao Eun and Lee Min Ho

I don't watch many Korean dramas, don't familiar with these two actors, just feel they having good appearance

Lee min-ho had all temperaments of an emperor

And Kim Gao Eun's temperament is wonderful, although her appearance is not the beauty that admits, but looks particular

I wish she could hang up a single eyelid tornado. 

And!!!

These two really turned my opinion on its head

Their acting is good

It is reported that in order to play the role of the emperor, lee min-ho deliberately learned to use the air voice, also learned the Busan accent

When facing to different roles. there are different micro expressions on his face, facing to JTE is proudly and a little tsundere, facing to JY is relaxed, facing to lady Nah is like a spoiled child, facing to the prime minister is to deal with, very accurate

Kim Gao Eun's fight is a knockout

Watching a move in the play a style to know that she must have practiced, as I have learned a period of time to fight but I can not fight as she, it can be seen in taekwondo this aspect is to work hard

And every time she was scared of the action, helpless action, anxious action are very true interpretation. The tears in her eyes when she meet Lee Gon at the end of the sixth episode are very infectious

These two are very match, looks very well for their romance scenes

The second line of several actors are also very good,

As expected, good actors and good scripts and good directors work together and achieve each other.

• Like 19
  • Love 3

Some info about Park Ji Yeon, the actress playing the pregnant lady~~ I'm quite into K-musicals, so when I first saw the pregnant lady I thought she looks familiar. Turns out she's the leading lady in musical Rebecca :lol:. She has several kdramas under her name, but I am not familiar with her in dramaland. She was also a supporting character in Mr Sunshine.

Here is her IG account. I don't think I've seen this scene yet in the Eternal Monarch.

Here is a clip of her singing a duet from Rebecca musical~ she has an amazing voice.

Spoiler

Ps: unrelated...but that's emperor Lee Hyuk from The Last Empress singing with her. Hahahaha

Another clip of her singing~~

• Like 12

This thread moves so fast, I have no way of catching up. Just wanted to drop in and celebrate Paul Kim as an OST singer! He sang my favorite OST from Hotel Del Luna :D

Also, we heard bits and pieces of Sunwoo Jung Ah’s OST in episode 6 and it was beautiful! 

• Like 15