[Mainland Chinese Drama] ARSENAL MILITARY ACADEMY 烈火军校

DontEatMyKimchi

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't get this song off my mind or this story... 

It's not just the amazing OTP or their chemistry which I love. There is something even greater here.  Proving it's not about rich or poor what you have or don't have.  It's about the person you are inside.  That each person has their own story and a gift within them.  Strengths and weaknesses, courage and fears.  That no matter the differences when brought together for a greater cause all those differences disappear.  It's a love and bond not of the romantic kind but it's beauty warms the heart through laughter and tears and for those who have experienced it. 

It's no wonder those memories last for years...

21 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

Ooohh...and so did we...

Hide contents

get a kiss at least? :D

LOL I can't spoil. Just be prepared. 

The last two episodes was amazingly good. I really enjoyed every single scene. I don't think I even fast forward any scenes for the first time since the drama started. lol The "war" scene was great even though there were some parts that I found kind of cringey and "what?" kind of moments,  but those little flaws aren't really relevant. lol I was surprise that SJS didn't die, not that I wanted him to. I saw a photo on Douyin that showed Xiao Rong looking at SJS's body laying on one of the bed but I guess not then. Talking about SJS, I found him quite annoying towards the end but I was also hoping he'll get a happy ending too but that's beside the point of the drama. I liked that they had both him and the other 2 friends run the academy at the end. SJS really redeemed himself, to an extent. I almost thought that they were going to have a girl come in as a man at the end but that didn't happen. lol Toby is super handsome tho.
I honestly hated the fact that Sergeant Guo had to die. Seriously, he did not need to but I understand the purpose to "kill" his character off too. All he wanted was to live a good, quiet life with his lover, his wife. May he RIP. 
As for LWZ, my poor baby. He just found love and happiness. It's unfortunate that he had to die too. I almost cried when the florist girl remembered him but also could not remember him at the same time. It was sad when we saw that he had ripped his page out of her notebook so that she won't remember who he is knowing that he was going to die. RIP LWZ. 

QMT and STB are so cute. I'm glad that she reciprocated his love. He's been nothing but good to her. He was watching her in love with GYZ and protecting her from the side yet he never once got mad or did something irrational. He loved her a lot, so I am glad he got his love and "kiss" at the end. lol  

XX and GYZ have come a long way from strangers to roommates to comrades to friends to lovers who enjoyed annoying the heck out of each other to protecting each other like no tomorrow. They've really grown a lot. I really enjoyed every moment they shared. Though short, it was filled with laughter and sweetness. I'm really going to miss GYZ's sexy hairstyle, silly, flirty, and narcissist personality. Xu Kai and Bai Lu played their characters really well. I'm really happy they gave our main lead, our OTP a happy ending. They really deserved it. I'm praying for another great drama between the two.

The military did tame them hardcore. I love how they were all cocky, rich spoiled brats who didn't like each other in the beginning but became really good friends and understood the meaning of protecting each other and their home country at the end. The drama overall made me cry, laugh, smiled, fangirl, and went through a series of emotions. lol It was good. At the end of the day, I enjoyed the drama very much. I think they did really well. Each character's relationship with each other was gold, ideal too. They supported each other even when they didn't understand why he/she did what they did or why they chose a specific route. Even though I thought GYZ had the most character development, every character grew tremendously by the end of the drama too. This is what I love about this drama the most. Their friendships was raw yet beautiful. Gosh, I'm really going to miss our favorite team. They were such a beautiful and amazing cast. I hope to see them all work together again in the future. Goodbye, AMA. It's been a good one. 

And someone correct me. I swear the voices in the drama are their real voice but I’m doubting it at the same time. Like I know how they sound like but the voices in the drama is throwing me off. Anyone know? 

knXg8JNJ_o.jpg

A  lasting impression from the drama

Spoiler

Shen Junshan (played by Li Chengbin)
This is my first time being expose to Li Chenbin as an actor. I really like his personality for Shen Junshan. I though that he did a great job. I certainly have no complaint with his acting. He delivered what was given to him. 

SJS as a character is a calculate and quiet man. He doesn't try to make irrational decision until after the fact, which is why he will always be a step behind GYZ. When XX had the most surreal feelings towards him, he is still in his state of confusion over her gender. Despite all the clues around him(GHZ affection towards XX is a good enough clue as he is a big time flirt/playboy and him spending a good amount of time with XX alone when they both were delivery the medication mission), he still could not come to the conclusion that there's a possibilities. Instead he avoids her along with the difference opinion that Jin Xianrong could be one of the bad guy which lead to XX and his romance never fully develop. By the time he chose to chase her, her heart was already set. It did not take long for her to make a decision. I believe that all the way towards the end, even though  SJS's eye tells us he doesn't want to give up but his feelings for XX was not up to pair with GHZ. Although if given time, he would probably love her just as much as GHZ. But how could XX give SJS time when the man next to her is just  as good looking and loves her wholeheartedly more.

Ctznzmlw o

If Bai Lu and Li Chengbin are ever pair up, I'm all for it!! 

Waste of Screen time:   Qu Manting (played by Wu Jiayi) 

I am indifference with actress Wu Jiayi. This is my first drama with her and I thought she did great for the character. I love her voice. She actually dubbed herself which is why her voice is so in sync with the character. 

As for the character, it is unfortunately that the company that produce this drama chose this route. It is obviously they are testing out WJY chemistry with Xukai. If you are aren't aware, they both are shooting a period piece drama right now. So much portion of the middle of the drama were waste on GHJ being separate from the Academy gang members and spent some useless time with her. It did not add anything to the story. I mean do we really need 2 rejections scene from GYZ to QMT...."NO!" The heart of the story is the students at the Academy. 

hgWcoyLr_o.jpg

The Closure

Spoiler

The last 8 episodes wrap up everything so good, I was wondering why they did not develop more on the relationship of our 7 main students at the Academy. Together they had great chemistry as each of them have their own unique characteristic that's really entertaining. Especially Huang Song and Li Qenzhong.  Huang Song's being the innocent and a little slow one who is quite protected by our leading lady. Li Wenzhong the rebellious one whose life will be forever be change after meeting the other 6 main students. Overall, a very sad story for them. They were so young and have so much dreams to fullfil, which made Huang Song's story the saddest. Throughout the drama he talks about what his hopes and dreams are once he is out of the Academy to both our main leads, which was why it hits them the hardest upon his death because they both have learn to  love him as a friend and family. 

My XX and GYX will be post tomorrow. I need to put more thought into it. :lol:

" Dont be unhappy! Dont be afraid! I'm here!" said GYZ softly in his sexy voice to XX while gentlely rubbing her head. Then he tenderly cuddled and comforted the sobbing XX. What a manly and perfect husband GYZ will be! :kiss_wink:

I died and revived myself to rewatch this scene at the end of ep 47 countless times. Still rewatching!:lol:

It is THE BEST REUNION  between lovers and it doesn't need any kissing at all. It is a military drama and is in keeping with XX's young and innocent character. She was extremely scared and worried  while missing GYZ on the bridge and GYZ just had this telepathic understanding about her fear! This couple just doesnt need much words or any kissing to showcase their love for each other. :wub:

Xu Lai & Bai Lu have brilliantly acted that scene to perfection as we can really feel their love for each other.:love:

@USAFarmgirl thanks for your very eloquent description earlier about them.:D

Just started watching this drama (up to 15) and i am very glad.

I find characters original and so far i like them very much.  GYZ  and XX are funny in their relationship and unique, but so are their friends :smiley:  The more i see of the little superstar , the more i admire her too as well as the bartending girlfriend, she is such a beautiful  honest and perceptive individual , i love her :star:

Ep 14 at around 21 minutes had me in stitches...:joy: GYZ is indeed priceless and the pure joy on his face when he gets to see XX's legs in the shower Hehehe 

Xie Xiang/Xie Lancheng (played Bai Lu)

Spoiler

I am quite familiar with BaiLu as I've seen 2 of her previous projects (King is not Easy & Legends). I have to say I'm quite impressed with her. All 3 dramas so far, I am able to see quite a drastic change in the characters she portray. I've heard comments that she is being type cast for these strong female role and all I can say is that it is the best kind of type cast one wants to be in. We all seem other actresses being type cast for those innocent roles and frankly it's the 21st century. Bai Lu is able to naturally shift from the properly manner XX to the tough Xie Lancheng. I though I've seen enough of the play drunk scenes, but during the scene where she is drunk in front of GYZ and telling him her secret there were so many shift in  emotions that the character went through and I thought Bai Lu did a fantastic job. She is one of the few Chinese actress that can really act. Chinese people should be proud of her. 

2AEUseXb_o.gif

Xie Xiang she started out in the drama as someone who was physically strong with her kungful (martial art...whatever you call them) so we never got any scenes of her actually being type cast as the super weak female in disguise. She can beat some of the boys at the Academy and has fantastic fighting scene as good as both leading men. Her bravely was consistent from beginning to end. In fact, she rescued her friend and escape from her own kidnapping without any assistant. She may have wanted to enter the Academy for her brother but she stayed because she wanted to make good for the better of her country. Above all, she cared for those that needed it and those that cared for her as well (especially Huang Song and SJS; GYZ basically can take care of himself).  

Gu Yanzheng (played by Xu Kai)

Ylceocca o

Spoiler

The first time I saw Xu Kai was in Yanxi Palace and I though he was easy on the eyes, but a pretty weak actor. Then "The Legend" came and he was still a little awkward in the begining but towards the end he improved drastically as he was able to play the strong but pitiful MoQing very well. I ache for him and pity him for something he couldn't  control. In this drama, he becomes GYZ ever so naturally and made the character all his own. His improvise little mannerism that he adds to the characters makes it so human. If I thought that BaiLu was a better actor than him before (since both are of the same agency & age group), he has really become a versatile actor in such a short time spent playing opposite Bailu and they are really on pair with each other now. 

As a character, GYZ is probably one of the most satisfyingly written male lead character. He was a rebellious kid from a very powerful rich family and couldn't care about about his future plans as it seems he is pretty set. Once forced into the Academy, he met XX and his whole world turned upside down.  No matter how powerful his dad is, it wasn't enough to fight the unjust/corrupted outside force (the Japaneses, British, and other higher up ). He was stuck feeling hopeless and have always resort to hiding under his dad's wings. But when he couldn't let go of the girl he love and the need to protect her, he finally took matters into his own hands and face all situation bravely. His teacher once stated to just ignore him at the Academy as he is a lost cause, but in the end GHZ became the student they strive to have. 

C3v8eoxo o

XX and GYZ's love story

XX had an ideal type in SJS and it all derive from the types of men she grow up  ( in this case, her brother and father). GYZ the opposite of her ideal type, but she did fell for him quite early into the drama. During episode 16, GYZ went to visit her in her hometown. We see that she was bored and he was the perfect person to take her out of the place that was full of memories of her deceased brother. He also takes her to his home and tells her of the childhood he had. He asked her to take care of the only picture he has of his mother and him and she gladly accept ( a sign of accepting his love). However, that acceptance was short lived upon their short separation and his pending marriage. By the time he returned back to her, she no longer care for him (in a romantic sense). He still kept his persistent pursued abide 2 instance. GYZ did tried to give up on her twice (when he tries to leave town with his father and when she stated she did not like all the rumors about him and her around the campus).  She had so many opportunities to tell him straight out that they could never be, but she never did. ( I believe if she told him straight out, he would have given up hope already. It's as if she was holding onto him unconsciously but consciously walking toward SJS.). 

SJS knew of XX favor towards him as well which was why he never felt threaten by GYZ, but when what was suppose to be a romantic night for both of them at the dance event, she was actually caught off guard and ran off.  In that moment of uncertainty, she saw GYZ waiting for her and there was a genuine smile from her toward GYZ for the first time, a perhaps great relieve that he is the only one she can relay on. SJS saw that little interaction between them and realized that there's more to their bickering than meets the eyes. His next move forever ended his hope with XX as he tries to separate them from the same room. XX sees right through SJS's intention, but now she misses GYZ. SJS never got any straight out rejection. XX never find the need to reject him as he never ask for an answer. As for GYZ, he never need an answer from her because as long as she is willing to be by his side that is all the answer he need. 

pFkLyoA9_o.jpg

Spoiler

SRbv49Li_o.jpg1WtUlSok_o.jpgFta1dwgh oXwvrchpq o90missem o1skmoh3o o2hOtbWja_o.jpgkR10AfK3_o.jpgVV9CYfYe_o.jpgDuiofwxo o3L5HlFvW_o.jpgeVNMk2y4_o.jpg

Interesting fact: 

People said that XX and SJS spent alot of time together towards the middle (around ep 18-30ish), but in those ep SJS starts to develop feelings for her and was actually trying to avoid her as well. By ep 30, GYZ told her he was leaving and that's when XX's feeling for him starts to creep out. Yu Zheng (Baliu and XuKai's boss who produced the drama) said that about 90mins worth of material were cut off. Most of which were romantic scenes especially scenes at the Academy. Fans had begged for those scene to be release, but Yu Zheng made it clear stating that "The scenes that had been modified due to regulations can not be re-release. Please understand that it is not appropriate for any military personnel to shot intimate. They will pay more attention in  the future and strictly following the guidelines from the general administration" (per his weibo dated 9/9/19). When I reflect back I didn't understand why GYZ love XX so much even in the earlier episodes. By 6 he knows her identity and by 8, I swear that boy could die for her. Now, it makes sense due to the cut scenes. <cry me a river>  :bawling:

About 90 freakin minutes of their scenes were cut out?! THATS A WHOLE 2 EPISODES! Ugh, this is why I hate all this regulation, censorship stuff. Really heartbreaking to know how much fluff we missed out on between our leads. Someone need to leak those other scenes like they did with the sit up kiss scene. lol I think the drama still did well without all the “romance” and “kiss”, but it wouldn’t hurt to have more scenes of just the both of them too. I wonder why they cut out the scene he helped her to her bed. That scene showed up during XX’s flashback in episode 47? 48? by the bridge as she’s waiting for GYZ to come back. Anyways, it’s disappointing that they couldn’t show those scenes of our OTP but hopefully their next drama together will redeem those scenes we missed. I would have love to see more of it between GYZ & XX as I absolutely love their characters. And the drama too. 

@sakisuki Bravo! Your "A lasting  Impression of This Drama" is very impressive indeed!:blush:

It'll be a good recommendation for those who're undecided on whether to watch it or have dropped it. 

I've read a poster commenting that she couldn't stand GYZ's excessive bullying.:rolleyes:

GYZ was depicted as a rebellious spoilt brat with powerful family background. So it wasn't surprising at all to see him and his bullying antics at the beginning episodes.

BUT his character transformation after falling for XX and his camaraderie with his military buddies is A REAL JOY to watch!:love:

Who'd expect to see a spoilt brat like GYZ washing XX's clothes? (I giggled so hard when he packed the wet clothes into a luggage bag home.)Who'd expect him to become close with a country bumpkin like HS? (If not for the army where everyone is equal regardless of family background) Who'd expect him to rescue JJ when told to escape on the truck?

Who'd expect him to become so patriotic after seeing his buddies die and suffer? Previously he was only enjoying his life and was apathetic.

So to me AMA has really fully developed GYZ's character to the max! B)

And BEST of all, GYZ has found THE LOVE OF HIS LIFE in XX!:love:

Woooo hooo ..my site gave me additional 15 ep subbed today ......auuuuuuu my housework :blush:    .

Reading some comments, GYZ is great in my books....not only did he  button back XX's shirt after her merry night of drinking , he also heroically suffered having her lie down  on top of him , on his own bed LOL.  But , what really put me in his camp was his conscious withholding of the whole night scenario from XX thereby lessening her embarrassment and anxiety at this stage - i am not saying he is not feeling gleeful about it ...just that at this stage it helped XX not to deal with additional burden and a hangover too.....and i am still laughing at his public shower creativity and appreciation of his love :yum:

I must admit I have seen a couple of chinese drama's now which have had me hooked right from the start, they are extremely rare as some of the plot lines, acting and casting is questionable.  Some are downright depressing and others have couples spending most of their time split apart for uttterly stupid reasons.  They fight the attraction so long to get together once together and confident someone blows wind their direction and says to break up and they pretty much go "oh okay".  I am left scratching my head why I am even watching the drama.

Drama's now like the untamed, arsenal military academy, doctor qin medical examiner I think it was.  All have better plot lines, interesting characters, well cast and directed well.  Its good to see some good productions coming out of china...

Up to ep 33 ....besides supporting our great main characters and the entire drama,  this  drama is the one that i

give my :star::star::star::star::star: to the Best Girlfriend of 2019 - Tan Xiao Jung. Throughout the previous episodes i fell in love with her sense of humour , her logic as well as unbiased and total support for her girlfriends ..she is equally sassy , comfortable and natural with both Qu Manting  and XX , and one versatile individual . 

Rewatching the whole series with English subs as my Chinese isn't good enough to understand 100% as the Chinese by mainland China is too difficult. And I'm loving this gem of a drama more than ever!:wub:

At ep 9 (he already knew about her disguise) GYZ revealed to XX that he purposely slacked in his trainings so that she wont feel bad. She was 2nd last to him in ranking. :D

Awww! How sweet of him to get some hot water for her to wash clothes as the water was cold. Best of all, he shooed her off and washed them himself. Our rich spoilt guy then decided to pack the dripping wet clothes home for washing by his maids of course. :lol:

Our XX was astrounded by his sudden softening approach to her.:love:

Archived