[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

0ly40

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

OYS's personality and belief are totally different from PMJ's. CYJ saw the goodness in PMJ which he doesn't see in OYS because he is not blinded by the myths surrounding OYS: surviving three times a disaster! 

Yeah I totally agree to that. And I don't know why but I find this similar to Stranger where LCJ took the reigns in his hand to purify the prosecution. Here OYS definitely isn't the mastermind but his thinking similar. And PMJ firmly believes that to catch a monster he shouldn't become one. 

And I really love your insights regarding dramas. Helps me see the drama in new light..

18 minutes ago, pompyavi said:

Yeah I totally agree to that. And I don't know why but I find this similar to Stranger where LCJ took the reigns in his hand to purify the prosecution. Here OYS definitely isn't the mastermind but his thinking similar. And PMJ firmly believes that to catch a monster he shouldn't become one. 

And I really love your insights regarding dramas. Helps me see the drama in new light..

Thanks for the compliment. :wub:

PMJ has a different approach to life, he is much more rational than OYS in reality. Han and OYS talk about pride, shame and honor,  which means that emotions are in the center of their belief.

The Acting president relies more on data and facts hence he can be perceived as cold and distant. That's why Yun called him boring and his future wife got upset, when he told her that the data wouldn't help her clients in her lawsuit. His "wife" jumped to the conclusion that he had been bribed and he didn't feel any empathy for the workers. 

Politicians often use emotions in order to get the support of the voters. Yet, unlike the others (Han and OYS), his rationality is compensated by his morality and integrity hence he is much more human and sensitive than OYS, a potential dictator. 

10 minutes ago, triplem said:

Daebak! PMJ will run for the presidency ! 

See Cha’s face .  He was going to cry , like how a proud mum would 

Not only him. Even the security agent and KNW. (Sorry mr Security Agent that I doubted you):lol:

12 hours ago, sn2111a said:

Idk u guys... OUR SECRETARY SHIP T.T 

its so touching that Cha immediately came to Sujeong after the gunshots... HE LOVES HER ALR :wub:

Theyre starting to have expectations of each other but... no clear understanding until they talk it out. And Sujeong is totally misunderstanding about the call Cha did, im totally sure that he's not the bad guy.

Kim Nam Wook and his infatuation though and Sec Min catching his feelings lol, too obvious

they have soooo much chemistry. they've been slowly exploring it but from that first scene where he asked her out til now *___* this monkey in the wrench is somethign that tests them but if he's truly just learning and learning to let go of climbing to the top and didn't deliberately hurt anyone, they'll get there. honestly i want them to hook up and have children NOW but we shall seeeeeee

about to watch ep 12 but so glad people are into them

11 hours ago, jenappelle said:

@disembody I knew a bit on insider trading and market etc - basically, if you are a leader, from any point of view(liberal/conservative) there is no way you could NOT NOT close the market. Kang is economically conservative while Yun is liberal on that score -- thousands of traders and banks will be cursing at you, not counting ordinary ppl that trade. There are circumstances where traders are compelled to trade (think of foreign currencies) due to govt limit them to hold a certain no of forex (they hold too much forex and must get rid of them by end of day) so they will be making a huge losses. He is doing this purely for the financial backer in the Tailor group to profit from it.

Oh looks popular on the front but ppl who knew even a tiny bit about politics and/ot economics will call it a career suicide

hey thank you sooo much for this. so it's seen as an insane move? either way it would hurt people even from their respective standpoints but not the VIP? god my pea brain. thank you for the reply, i will probably be asking more questions!!!!

11 hours ago, angelbeast90 said:

Madam Yun complimenting Park dae was the highlight of the episode for me. She wants him for durability not for his idealistic views.

i loved that too bc it shows she at least thinks he's an immovable object. he's predictable in that he will always try to find the solution that works best through his eyes and she finds him a truly worthy person or at least knows that with him the fight will be fair. she has to go up against men everyday and no doubt face questions and that fact alone makes people hate her (and support her.) but she's intelligent and she feels she's entitled to the presidency but doesn't want to have to feel like her intelligence is being belittled. pride is so important to her but genuinely i think that when people gain her respect they feel as if they are worthy to her. it shows just how powerful the both of them are just as entities. i love it.

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Interesting... not sure than I'm any wiser than I was from last week. But wow... OYS is showing his true totalitarian colours... or not. :P Dubious or evil... LJH is wonderful here. His elegance and charisma even when he's playing the baddie is oddly... probably just me... mesmerizing. :D I wouldn't disagree that the optics he displays plays well on telly ;) but yeah... I'm in fear for democracy if he's at the helm. Not the perfect system but better than all the others. Mr (or Ms) VIP sure likes to keep his/her minions on their toes. I'm sure the assassination attempt is just as much a message to OYS re: who is really calling the shots as it was eliminating the competition. I also thought that the message sent to the attackers by OYS was a some kind of message to the VIP about overreach in attacking PMJ directly. Yes, no... maybe. And no, I still don't think Sec Han is the VIP. And I wouldn't be surprise if OYS turns against the VIP at some stage. Hey, I'm clinging on to my hypothesis for dear life. 

Like some have said, the highlight of Episode 11 was YCK little chat with a sickly PMJ. YCK really showed that she's not just some slick experienced political operator. It is good to know that there are things that she really cares about especially in her encounter with OYS. Sadly the country has to be in crisis before all sides decide to work together for the good of the nation.

I just adore PMJ's relationship with his wife. They are such a lovely couple. And what a nice functional marriage. Shock horror! It's really a breath of fresh air when we consider other political partnerships we've seen from Kdramaland where the spouses can't bear to be in the same room. Well, it helps that neither of them had any intention of going into politics in the first place ;). I thought it was very interesting that Sec Han apologized for dragging PMJ into the top job and expressed regret. Yeah... another reason why I don't think he's the VIP (even if he's the prime suspect for Blue House mole).

Agree with everything here.  LJH is killing it--from his character to Stranger (I am rewatching it now!!!) to even a poem a day to now. He has sort of a cold look naturally (i know he has a much funner irl personality) so i wasn't always fond of his acting but here he truly shows his range.

besides the whole cast just being knockouts in their acting (even kang ha na is getting muuuuuch better. solid cast) and he joon heo being a REMARKABLE face and presence i, too, do not believe in this conspiracy. lowkey he and pres. yang were ;) (im trying to say they had to have kissed at least once...LMAO) but that the simplest route is the most possible. i go back to stranger for this one, at the end of the show we had the answers allllll along. i think it's the same here, just the content of why would shock us. 

i'm a sociopolitical junkie and like activist work so the little intricacies are so fun for me. it's a total callback to totalitarianism via imperialist natures. oys is actually ridiculous. i want to know more about his motive v. the VIP motive. lol

yea i love how with yun you can also see certain aspects of how she has been treated as something that she is conscious of for others. like the whole adultery thing and her saying "i can barely see my kids and i am criticized [as a woman] we have so little time with our families but we get to see other families. why would i exploit his personal life?" she probably also knew that wasn't true because PMJ is a goody two shoes (in the beeeest way he is so hot omfg)

and, lastly, their marriage...i agree wholeheartedly. i was worried it would put a wedge between them but it didn't. he respects her so much sooooo much and he promised to never hurt them. they're just so beautiful together. so healthy and understanding. what happened with their kid is still something i wish they hadn't done (lied to him) but they're a really beautiful couple with a beautiful family and outlook on life. they're just so in love. like the way they look at each other *___*

what pres. han said was really telling. i think he's mellowed in his age and realized how little things matter. if he isn't involved (which some of us don't think he is) i wonder how that affected him now. it's undeniable atp the whole cabinet has respect for PMJ. as opposed to oys with planned and BS luck, PMJ was [deliberately] placed for a collapse and he fought in  a way no one thought he would or could. and he reaped the good results.

k enough talking, time for ep 12!

I thought today's episode will end in, Reporternim asking "will you run for presidency?" and then every body face reaction and zoom into PMJ face and fade to blackout. See you next week for the answer!!

I loved how they ended today's episode. Now I need to watch it fully.

want to make a quick note while in the middle of ep 12. not a spoiler and i think it's really wonderful writing/visual cue. when cha goes into the....whatever it's called blue house oval office lol and he expects to see OYS at the table because of PMJ's (HOT PROFESSOR) nature and gets OYS behind the desk being cold. crazy good part

good episode! the writing is good, it's clear what the writers think about current politics and i love it.

still no clue on VIP, could be han. there was a focus on shoes today, that's a big clue. really i am hoping not for han and id on't expressly think so but the seed of doubt is definitely planted well.

i wasn't expecting that surprise....i mean i guess i was but i wasnt. i wonder how lawyer choe will feel. aw man i'm sad we only have two more weeks but i think that it will be satisfying and a good drama to look back on. i would totally lobby for PMJ

Good episode...except my mumma heart is still wondering about the boy???  :huh:  Are we supposed to assume that Han and Hoobae rescued him BEFORE they headed to the National Assembly to get TaeIk?  I mean they were already there??  In the vicinity of the building where he (boy) was being held??  He has life threatening allergies.  He can’t possibly look after himself now that BOTH his captors are dead.  Did the Swat team (or whatever they are called in Korea) kill TaeIk and rescue the boy?  :(

So Chief of Defence is in on it as well.  I still think VIP is Advisor Han.  He always seems to be fishing for info when he talks to Cha, “Has PMJ decided to run?”  I think because he has the trust of everyone (even the little people on ground like security staff, Secretaries taking notes/minutes etc) he’s the only one I know who can gather all this intel (about Cha being investigated etc - he was told that the phone records were being checked) and leak the info to Press/Mayor Kang.

I really like how the drama stays focused on the political scene and there is very little “drama” in the personal lives.  It’s there but it’s not overplayed.  No histrionics.  Everything is dealt with in a very adult manner.  It’s all about seeking to come to a compromise and understanding not blowing up the misunderstanding with temper tantrums.  Love how Cha let her (SJ) off without the need for an apology.  Leaving her dignity intact.  So much swag.  :wub:  Cha and SJ need to grab that chicken/beer... in Ep 16 probably  :lol:.  I love the bromance between Cha and PMJ.  And I love more the thinly veiled posturing between Cha and Oh.  Gloves are off.  And they are equals in that space Cha and Oh.  Watch yourself Mr Oh, Mr Cha has what it takes to out manoeuvre you.  :)

EDIT - also I liked how he put on his glasses at the hospital and how it was timed to coincide with his decision to run for Presidency.  Remember how they got him to take them off before his first Press Con?  It’s like they wanted him to fit into their image of what a President should be.  This time, he fronts up on his own terms, with his glasses on.  As if to say, here I am, nerdy Scientist Professor and all, take it or leave it, I am PMJ, honest to a fault, and I want to run for Presidency just as I am.

EDIT2 - Someone mentioned the sudden re-emphasis back to shoes again this Ep.  I think it’s to mirror the earlier episodes where Yang and PMJ had the shoe exchange and how PMJ used to squirm in those shoes.  He no longer does.  Scene where Oh and Han maybe (?VIP) meet?  Shoes again.  Power transfer.  Yang picked PMJ. Mystery man picked Oh.

EDIT3 - giving the US presence in that space on that island is anathema to peace in the region.  China and North Korea would not be happy that self imposed Global Policeman US is setting up post there to “monitor” the situation.  And that split second scene where they had a room full of people on keyboards typing madly?  I think that’s one way of flooding Social Media with “fake news”, “fake/minor issues” and moving sentiment.  If you get Netizens mad enough about ideologies (and seed doubt) which distract from the main issues at hand, you’ve taken the wind out of their sails and they would be fighting over non-issues which go no where.  Suddenly the raging/trending issue is no longer Military Base ruining the Environment of Gasan Island so we should stop it but Gasan Island citizens greedy grab for money, are they right to accept money as recompense?  Divide and conquer.

Actually, OYS revealed his weakness during this episode. He relies on no one, even the Chief of Defense who belongs to the organization was treated like trash by OYS. He even rejects CYJ as he views him as someone insignificant. He believes that he did great all this time, however his decisions were made based on money. He didn't close the market in order to help a certain group to buy another company. Only the rich people from that organization could benefit from it. Then the expansion of the naval base was only possible because he had the backing of someone rich: the inhabitants from that island were offered a huge compensation. Furthermore, the social media were manipulated. Everything was organized hence he shows no greatness... His successes are just the results of manipulation. 

Even CYJ noticed the huge contrast between OYS and PMJ: the table vs. the desk. PMJ didn't dare to sit behind the desk. To me, this episode could have been called CYJ because everything evolved around him. I loved the scene where PMJ announces his candidacy while looking at CYJ and the latter is so moved that he is starting crying. As we can see, finally PMJ made up his mind and CYJ was the trigger for his decision: Their mutual respect and closeness and the fact that CYJ kept saying that he was a good man. 

Striking is the huge difference the way PMJ used the media... someone could say that he manipulated the press conference as he had asked Woo to ask for a question that would divert the attention from CYJ. The members from the Tailor Group bought people in order to write hate comments on the social media... this was also to divert the attention of the citizens. However, there is a huge difference: PMJ remained truthful and didn't try to cause more anxiety and hate among the population. In fact, he wanted the journalists to do their job and write the truth. 

@nrllee For me, Han seems to be the VIP too. If we look at the scenes with Han and imagine he is the VIP, his words have a different meaning. Besides, notice that he never wears the jacket of his suit. If my theory is true, then it was as if he wanted to say that unlike the others, he doesn't need an uniform as he is the leader. If Han is the VIP, he tried to push away CYJ that's why the news about CYJ's investigation was leaked. Han was convinced that PMJ would never run for the election. He said that PMJ would never dare to dirt his hands... His words illustrate a negative image of PMJ, as if he was a coward.   

19 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

For me, Han seems to be the VIP too. If we look at the scenes with Han and imagine he is the VIP, his words have a different meaning. Besides, notice that he never wears the jacket of his suit. If my theory is true, then it was as if he wanted to say that unlike the others, he doesn't need an uniform as he is the leader. If Han is the VIP, he tried to push away CYJ that's why the news about CYJ's investigation was leaked. Han was convinced that PMJ would never run for the election. He said that PMJ would never dare to dirt his hands... His words illustrate a negative image of PMJ, as if he was a coward.   

I think that’s why Han keeps trying to get Cha to switch sides.  He keeps reminding Cha that he said before he wants to win at all costs and from all the data now, it’s Oh in the lead.  He knows that if Cha remains where he is, unless he switches his allegiance back to Oh (the winner), he will be a threat to the operation because Cha has what it takes to out manoeuvre Oh.  Cha needed to go.  So even if PMJ were to run, he would be running on his own.  With Cha by his side, he would be a formidable opponent.  But PMJ out manoeuvres them this time.  Cha was tearing up like a proud teacher mentoring his student who finally “gets it”...he’s the kingmaker alright just like SJ said.  And if/when PMJ wins, Cha will be all the more fulfilled because he knew how far his student had to come to get there :lol:

Every thing points to Secretary Han, that he is the mole in BH. His words have deep meaning. But still I fumble at one point and that is if he is truly the mole, then why did he let PMJ fire him in earlier episode. I mean he has to report everything to the tailor group. Even CYJ said that he couldn't have had access to that file. How was he so sure that PMJ will bring him back in BH? Or is there someone else too apart from him. A mole would be a person who would have access to everything and people wont doubt him/her. What about the girl in data processing office?:huh: May be no. I am just thinking too much. Need to pass another week now. Sigh..

https://twitter.com/CJnDrama/status/1158907544556851200?s=20

https://twitter.com/NetizenDrama/status/1158867898691178497?s=20

I tried to access some data from good data since Park Dae says he trusts data . Looks like the drama rating has maintained itself coming at third.

Speaking of data Agent HNG said that there is one more person who knows that the files were taken to the server room to be destroyed. The server room in the bunker of NSC! So maybe there is more that one data analyst among whom is the mole.

Would National Security Advisor Ko Young-Mok  be the mole? The one who was with Mr. Cha when they were shut down from entering the bunker. He seems to gather information real quick and does not disclose where he is getting his information. Maybe they keep him out of the loop so that he does not get suspected and the communication is one way where by he leaks info to the Tailor group!!!

Ko Young-Mok also could/seems to have reported to OYS about Mr. Cha's missing hours from the office and where he went??

I could be wrong but he seems to know a lot!

I loved the way PMJ schooled the reporters in Journalism 101 during the press conference. He deflected the barrage of question/suspicion of Sec Cha by telling them that he did not resign out of guilt/criminality, instead, he wanted to protect the integrity of the Blue House from unfounded speculation. And he denied the resignation simply because facts point to his innocence and to him only facts matter. Finally, he urged the media to do the same to uphold the integrity and the people's trust in ROK's press.  

With his response:

1) He showed that rationality should be the way the Blue House (and by extension ROK) make decisions;

2) He showed that he is control of the situation by continuing to remain calm in face of the barrage; 

3) He showed class in front the the press, after schooling them, by reconciling the role/important of the press in informing the people of the truth.

And probably most important of all, he sealed the loyalty of Sec Cha, his most valuable asset/ally. After all, it takes a village to raise a child, in this case to make a President. #ParkMuJin2019

On 8/4/2019 at 11:45 PM, nrllee said:

PMJ is a Scientist.  We’re all about facts and data.  Hunches and feelings don’t come into it.  You can have a hypothesis but unless it’s backed by evidence, it remains just that, a hypothesis.  It’s Monday.  With the number of views on the Preview I am hoping it translates to a ratings boost.  I am really enjoying this drama.  I am currently also watching Where In the World (variety) with JJH in it.  Turns out he is exactly like PMJ in real life.  It’s so strange watching him lead a bunch of men through the Desert of Oman and playing it out in real life.  :lol:  No wonder PMJ’s character resonated with him.

Sorry to cut your post.

This just sends me over the edge. Are there really guys like this? Not just in Kdramas?! Episode 9 left me in tears so many times. I especially liked how PMJ helped his future wife with her court case without being condescending, rude or "man-splaining". How could she not fall for a guy like that? And he proposes after taking her son to the hospital?! **swoon**  :wub: He's so considerate, and yet he doesn't act like he should get awards for being a decent guy. 

As a single lady, I'd love to meet a PMJ type of guy in real life. Give me logic, reason, loyalty and facts....and he's so intelligent too without being arrogant about it. A KAIST grad/prof would be most awesome, but I might work with a Cal Tech or MIT grad/prof too!

Thanks for letting me know about that show "Where in the world". 

@shamrockmom off topic so in spoiler

Spoiler

Yes there are lots of those clips Where On Earth on YouTube.  He really is a lovely decent man in real life.  Married his girlfriend (non celebrity who he met whilst a photographer).  They have 2 children.  

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2015/10/actor-ji-jin-hee-opens-up-about-his-marriage-on-taxi

But yes if you watch Where On Earth in Oman where he is designated leader, you will see his leadership qualities come out.  I really enjoyed that series.  Pity they stopped it after 2 series. 

Good luck with your search for a PMJ in your life. :)

6 hours ago, nrllee said:

I think that’s why Han keeps trying to get Cha to switch sides.  He keeps reminding Cha that he said before he wants to win at all costs and from all the data now, it’s Oh in the lead.  He knows that if Cha remains where he is, unless he switches his allegiance back to Oh (the winner), he will be a threat to the operation because Cha has what it takes to out manoeuvre Oh.  Cha needed to go.  So even if PMJ were to run, he would be running on his own.  With Cha by his side, he would be a formidable opponent.  But PMJ out manoeuvres them this time.  Cha was tearing up like a proud teacher mentoring his student who finally “gets it”...he’s the kingmaker alright just like SJ said.  And if/when PMJ wins, Cha will be all the more fulfilled because he knew how far his student had to come to get there :lol:

There is another reason why I am suspecting Han for being the VIP. He made sure that he wasn't there, when the data was sent away but since we know that the other general belongs to the Tailor Group, we can assume that he was the one who took the file. The mistake of HGN is to forget that they are facing an organisation.

Han left the Blue House because he believed that PMJ would never become successful, however the opposite happened. He gained popularity. Since PMJ came to him, he agreed to come back because he realized that this was necessary. 

What is bothering me is that HGN is not putting the NSI chief under surveillance because his words ("one of them") revealed that he was a mole. How did he know that they were many?

Archived