Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

23 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Good thoughts @bebebisous33.  Actually I was also wondering if they saved the boy before they dashed off to stop the assassination.  Agent HNG killed one of them.  TaeIk was with the boy and presumably left him (the boy) on his own in the apartment?  I guess he assumed the other guy would come back soon with the ice cream except he didn’t coz he died in the alleyway?  Unless they tipped off his mom to ring the police to get him?  They couldn’t exactly ring the police themselves coz they were fugitives?  I guess IT Hoobae could’ve worked his magic and phoned in anonymously...  too many questions.  Just have to wait for next week to reveal more answers 

Saving the kid is the best clue to save HNG and Han Mo. PMJ didn't believe in Han Mo's guilt hence once the kid is rescued, he can withdraw his confession and explain his situation. Furthermore the wife is another witness. Besides, the kid can confirm the identity of the assassins. HNG had already made a portrait of the killer and if her clues are  combined with the video, the authorities can no longer suspect her. I am quite sure that PMJ will ensure to meet HNG without letting anyone know about it. I have the impression that PMJ might fake his injury... that's why his face was covered so that he misled the conspirators to believe that their plan succeeded. While being supposed at the hospital, PMJ might start acting in the shadow in order to escape from the Blue House's attention (the different moles).

@imgreatgal Thanks a lot for the compliment. Okay, about the timing. Killing her with the explosion would have helped them as she represented a danger. Furthermore, these conspirators have no problem to kill people in the name of a good cause. Killing one of their agents/moles  is justified as a necessary sacrifice.

However, in my opinion, they imagined that KJW would remain close to HNG because he managed to stop the killer at the right time. So they thought that KJW would be following her. What they didn't expect was that KJW had the support of another agent which helped him to leave her and meet the Acting president. They didn't know that KJW would be able to rely on another agent who was trustworthy. 

• Like 10
  • Insightful 2

Posted (edited)

@bebebisous33 great that you’re watching this . I put my money on Han as the mastermind several episodes/ posts ago . So let’s see if that comes true . But your suspicions about Agent Han’s hoobae  is something that TvN has actually brought up .

Spoiler

So ever since then ,  I started not trusting anyone anymore :lol:.  But I think Cha is not the one who gave the recent order . 

———

Guess who will be happy if Cha - Jeong does not work out?  ....though he was shot down even  before he had a chance :joy:

Edited by triplem
  • Like 5
  • LOL 6

The only reason I didn’t think Hoobae was in on the plot was because he’s not high enough in the hierarchy to be effective as a chess piece.  NIS head was already there overseeing everything so in theory, he should’ve had everything under control or been able to bury all evidence.  Except Agent HNG didn’t follow procedure.  And then I thought maybe Hoobae was acting on JunO’s behalf and was asked (by JunO) to look out for Agent HNG whilst JunO went missing.  Especially when she showed up at his apartment after that accident.  But I sort of dismissed his being party to the plot and regime in the end.  It seemed superfluous to have him as well as the head in the same department working on the terror plot.  And JunO seemed to like working alone because he couldn’t trust anyone so it would be weird for him to be in cahoots with Hoobae IT guy as well.  So I deemed him innocent and was just caught up in the whole process like Agent HNG was.

The other reason why I think Security Detail Head is part of it is because how else will TaeIk have gotten the lapel pin for Security?  And he was the first person Sec Han rang after the bombing.  His first question, “How is the President?” And then the next scene was the Security Detail dashing out and eventually identifying PMJ at Ground Zero and hustling him to the Blue House to be sworn in.  Then there’s all the camera pans onto his facial expressions all the time which would really be unnecessary if he were just Security?? 

• Like 10

54 minutes ago, nrllee said:

The only reason I didn’t think Hoobae was in on the plot was because he’s not high enough in the hierarchy to be effective as a chess piece.  NIS head was already there overseeing everything so in theory, he should’ve had everything under control or been able to bury all evidence.  Except Agent HNG didn’t follow procedure.  And then I thought maybe Hoobae was acting on JunO’s behalf and was asked (by JunO) to look out for Agent HNG whilst JunO went missing.  Especially when she showed up at his apartment after that accident.  But I sort of dismissed his being party to the plot and regime in the end.  It seemed superfluous to have him as well as the head in the same department working on the terror plot.  And JunO seemed to like working alone because he couldn’t trust anyone so it would be weird for him to be in cahoots with Hoobae IT guy as well.  So I deemed him innocent and was just caught up in the whole process like Agent HNG was.

The other reason why I think Security Detail Head is part of it is because how else will TaeIk have gotten the lapel pin for Security?  And he was the first person Sec Han rang after the bombing.  His first question, “How is the President?” And then the next scene was the Security Detail dashing out and eventually identifying PMJ at Ground Zero and hustling him to the Blue House to be sworn in.  Then there’s all the camera pans onto his facial expressions all the time which would really be unnecessary if he were just Security?? 

But the problem is that the head of the NIS has no control over the officers working on the field who are trying to find clues about the perpetrators. That's why you need people at different level as well. The head of the NIS knows Han Mo and HNG pretty well. He knew about her future wedding and her personality as well. She is someone stubborn who has no problem to do illegal things hence I am inclining to think that the NSI chief needed someone closer to that team in order watch how the investigations were moving on.

As for the Security Detail Head, he would have ensured that PMJ and KJW didn't meet. But okay, who knows... TaeIk could have received the security clearance from the NSI head... Don't forget that there is no record about him at all. So the NSI head is more the one who has access to such info and can erase records about the agents.

@triplem Honestly, I would like it very much if the VIP was someone young (and not Han) because it would give a different message. OYS is idolized so much (look at his comrades). We saw how young people decided to join ISIL.    

• Like 12

The computer guy is suspended from his job right now because they knew he worked with HNG. He said it when she woke up in his house. 

Her sunbae gave false confession because of his kidnapped son.

The head of their organization seems to be part of this Tailor Organization. So he seems to be one of the moles.

The funny thing about Tailor Organization is that each member doesn't know each other. Only the tailors know everyone. I even doubts OYS knows everything. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Interesting theories everyone :)

Im just gonna say, if in the next episode, the security officers are going to tackle Agent Han to the ground, instead of looking up as she and her gun were pointing up,

1. Those security personnel are really incompentent

2. Because they are part of the tailor group/conspiracy

Good luck Agent Han in the next episode! 

ps. I didnt see the preview of the next episode

Also is there any way to watch the American version of the drama? 

• Like 9

I like this drama so much that I can't wait for Monday (and believe me I wouldn't normally wish for a Monday to come fast!:lol:)  I still think it would be interesting if Sec Cha has something to do with the bombing.  OYS and Sec Han, while one or both may be involved in some way, I don't think they play that big of part; it's a little too obvious.  I appreciated the understated acting by the actor who plays Sec Cha. In particular, I like that he doesn't yell and scream about things.  In fact, he has a rather soft voice.

I was/am curious about the American version, but I won't watch it until this one ends. 

• Like 12

7 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

Also is there any way to watch the American version of the drama? 

It’s available on Netflix. 

JJH posted some BTS stills 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Sorry, but I couldn't finish the American version. I tried to watch it so I can get the gist of the story, but it's a mistake that I first watch the Korean version, haha. Having a literal "designated" survivor does not sold me. I just like it that the constitution just stipulated the line of succession. Maybe in time, when I finished the Korean version, I'll rewatch the American version.

14 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I like this drama so much that I can't wait for Monday (and believe me I wouldn't normally wish for a Monday to come fast!:lol:)  I still think it would be interesting if Sec Cha has something to do with the bombing.  OYS and Sec Han, while one or both may be involved in some way, I don't think they play that big of part; it's a little too obvious.  I appreciated the understated acting by the actor who plays Sec Cha. In particular, I like that he doesn't yell and scream about things.  In fact, he has a rather soft voice.

I was/am curious about the American version, but I won't watch it until this one ends. 

Korean version is waayyy better-- for me. Episode 1 alone, I can tell the difference and just skipped into important moments. I managed to get to episode 4 though, until I told myself "enough, don't fool yourself and stop skipping", lols. I will rewatch it after this version ends, lols.

• Like 9

On 8/1/2019 at 7:45 PM, angelbeast90 said:

So  OYS is a superficial person whereas PMJ is not. OYS with all his intentions have deceived the general public already it seems. He speaks in ideals but not in what is practical and realistic. Looks like he knows what is best for the nation and in his opinion the nation knows not what it wants! So is he going to become a dictator!! Lets see what he does when he gets to become Acting President. I hope it does not take a revolution to get him off the power though! So in order to do that PMJ needs to take the power back in his hands!

I wouldn't call OYS superficial or at least not in how I understand "superficial". ;) I agree he has totalitarian instincts as many idealists do but he's certainly no fool. He's not wrong about the politicians. He's certainly not saying anything that most of us wouldn't. His problem though is that he believes that by overthrowing the system you can actually change things. I don't share his naivete. Maybe he's young... a millennial apparently... so he's not aware... rather surprisingly perhaps that the twentieth century is littered with examples of people who have overthrown systems to disastrous effect. I suppose it's the conceit and hubris of the young to think that everyone else got it wrong and they are the ones who will get it right. ;) Of course not everyone takes it to the logical conclusion like the dictators of the twentieth century. It wasn't just Hitler by the way. Stalin was a lot worse... Mao Zedong etc. With all the weaknesses democracy presents, it is better than all the alternatives. A system that puts power in the hands of a few assumes that the few will do the right thing all of the time. And that certainly isn't the case.

Frankly I find both PMJ and OYS to be equally rigid in some form or another. They're actually not that different in that regard. But I think the show attempts to say that PMJ's idealism is tampered and grounded by the fact that he is willing to work within the existing system. It does turn out to be an important difference in the long run. Plus as OYS shrewdly notes, PMJ has got Cha Young Jin which is very very important in mitigating PMJ's idealism as well. (So yes, that's another reason why I don't think CYJ is a co-conspirator)

It's not that I dislike PMJ although I sometimes wish I liked him more.  I often feel that he's overshadowed by the people around him who seem to be far more multidimensional and savvy. More importantly without CYJ it would be very hard for him to survive the acting presidency much less an election for the real thing. And that's fine. The person at the top doesn't have to be amazing as long as he/she has good advisors and is sufficiently savvy to pick the right people to be in his/her team. It's like the kings of old. No king was expected to rule on his own. It was their job to manage talent and use them appropriately to make good decisions. Some played off one side against the other sometimes to their detriment. Some relied too heavily on one person or another to their detriment. But these are the sorts of things good political leadership has to come to grips with in order to govern well for the good of all.

Despite my misgivings about PMJ, I do think he is being seen as the anomalous variable here. The wild card/dark horse that will shake things up. Not because he is especially amazing but because he's unpredictable.

• Like 14
  • Insightful 2

@40somethingahjumma @angelbeast90 In my opinion, the huge difference between PMJ and OYS is that PMJ is open-minded as he is able to listen. The best example is his interactions with Yun. He knows that she is not his friend, nonetheless he listens to her words because he can perceive that not everything she says is bad. He never has the answer right away, he doesn't condemn immediately, whereas to me OYS seems to be very judgmental. He puts all the politicians in the same basket. However, Yun is different from KSK who is definitely more ruthless without any moral. Furthermore, I doubt that, if OYS had been the Acting president, OYS would have promoted CYJ after the latter disobeyed his order by releasing the video. Even CYJ thought that his action could only end with a withdrawal or being fired. For someone from the military, disobedience is absolute no go! Yet, PMJ could understand CYJ's action and even realized CYJ's loyalty in all this.   

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 3

@bebebisous33 For me, politics are a mixed bag. I think irl, even upright politicians has to choose between lesser evils at times. Currently my suspicions on Han are purely based on his actions in EP10 (Call Center panic call, Han's cryptic remarks etc), and the fact that there is not many as powerful as him in an Administrative role. Also I think the fact that PMJ suspects him gave credence that Han is part of the attack. 

PMJ's intelligence is constantly being underrated criminally in the drama and even by the audience. I feel that you made a compelling point about him listening to Yun and subconsciously learning from his rivals, and his aides (CYJ etc) that disobeys him (I do wonder how PMJ tell CYJ though). And may I say that OYS comes off as way too arrogant? Without the backing of the Tailor Group and his image he will be shredded by his rivals.

I do agree that the Tailor Group seems to be against unified Korea, with the military gang perhaps wanted a better treatment of them enshrined by legislation. 

We still have 6 episodes to wrap it up. From what I can see from Netflix title, EP12 will probably solve most of the mysteries, and then its Blue House vs the Tailor Group.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, jenappelle said:

@bebebisous33 For me, politics are a mixed bag. I think irl, even upright politicians has to choose between lesser evils at times. Currently my suspicions on Han are purely based on his actions in EP10 (Call Center panic call, Han's cryptic remarks etc), and the fact that there is not many as powerful as him in an Administrative role. Also I think the fact that PMJ suspects him gave credence that Han is part of the attack. 

PMJ's intelligence is constantly being underrated criminally in the drama and even by the audience. I feel that you made a compelling point about him listening to Yun and subconsciously learning from his rivals, and his aides (CYJ etc) that disobeys him (I do wonder how PMJ tell CYJ though). And may I say that OYS comes off as way too arrogant? Without the backing of the Tailor Group and his image he will be shredded by his rivals.

I do agree that the Tailor Group seems to be against unified Korea, with the military gang perhaps wanted a better treatment of them enshrined by legislation. 

We still have 6 episodes to wrap it up. From what I can see from Netflix title, EP12 will probably solve most of the mysteries, and then its Blue House vs the Tailor Group.

You're right. OYS is indeed arrogant.

PMJ is not just a good listener, he is always a great thinker. He doesn't believe blindly what others say. He wants to check the facts himself. Notice how he calculated that the numbers mentioned by the USA delegations were wrong. He even read the constitution himself in order to better understand the executive order. He came up with a new solution: an executive order respecting the rules. He thinks himself. His lack of refinement and of ambition let people believe that he was not intelligent: just book-smart but they were wrong.

Besides, I also think that the conspirators were not pleased with the way the USA treated their country South Korea. They didn't just agree with the Treaty with North Korea, they also didn't like how arrogant the USA delegation was and tried to force the government to accept the new FET. Don't forget that a strong nation and pride are in the center of their belief. Yang was about to accept the FET with the USA. Furthermore, Han disliked DEFCON2 because it meant that SK would be under the control of the Americans. 

• Like 10
  • Insightful 2

Lurker here....just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed everyone's commentary and insight. It's been a while since I enjoyed a Kdrama like 60 Days...

I was left a little confused by Episode 9, and the 'scandal' regarding President Park's (adopted) son Si Won.

(Full disclosure--I had a bad week including the death of a foster kitten. I am not functioning well.)

So the biodad of Si Won is blackmailing the First Lady for money, and threatened to go to the press with the 'scandal'. We know the biodad is a scumbag. What is preventing him from doing this again? Did he get paid off, or threatened by Jun-O? Is there any evidence the biodad is in cahoots with any of the baddies? And Si Won has figured out that PMJ is not his father. But there was no follow-thru. Or will that be for another episode? Si Won doesn't seem like a bad kid--he looks and acts like a textbook normal male teenager. In a way, I feel bad that his parents lied to him about who his dad was, although I can certainly understand why they did it. 

Any insights would be much appreciated. 

• Like 11

@shamrockmom

The short answer:

Siwan's biodad has not made an appearance in the drama so we do not know what his intentions are going to be next.

Siwan had breakfast with his dad and he affirmed that PMJ is his dad no matter what anyone says. And that's enough for him.

tumblr_pvio79xPKI1x2egmfo1_400.giftumblr_pvio79xPKI1x2egmfo3_400.gif
tumblr_pvio79xPKI1x2egmfo2_400.giftumblr_pvio79xPKI1x2egmfo5_400.gif
tumblr_pvio79xPKI1x2egmfo4_400.giftumblr_pvio79xPKI1x2egmfo6_400.gif

After this scene PMJ choked up with emotion and pride in his sons trust with him. It took him so long to be here and he is not going to loose him for any political reason.

Hope that was enough.:)
Spoiler

The American version had the first son going through with the DNA test but later he decided that he will not check on it and gave the envelope to dad who opened it and found that he is the bio dad.

AH! It's Monday! I'm waiting to see how Agent HNG going to get out of all this trouble trying to save her country from this threat to her country's security!

PS: Off topic: 

Spoiler

Sorry for asking this but can this man really paint in real life?

imageimage

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Despite my misgivings about PMJ, I do think he is being seen as the anomalous variable here. The wild card/dark horse that will shake things up. Not because he is especially amazing but because he's unpredictable.

This.  He was a loose cannon.  He doesn’t play by the political rules.  So that made him “dangerous” to the Tailor Group because he wields such power and they couldn’t “control” him due to his unpredictability.  They tried to “manage” him in the interim but he was getting too close to uncovering their plot so they had to “get rid of him” (assassination). They would have to also do the same for SJ and Agent HNG to shut down that investigation.  I think Advisor Han knows that he has lost PMJ’s trust, he was relying heavily on the trust of all the people beside him for intel.  There’s a reason why one by one they seem to be coming to him for “advice” when they are in a bind. Cha, SJ, etc...they all seem to wander into his office digs to nut things out.  Which wouldn’t be a problem as such except he seems so weirdly distant and disengaged when they actually genuinely want his advice?  He seems to just shrug his shoulders and offer nothing particularly helpful or insightful.  It only makes me suspect him even more.

PMJ is a Scientist.  We’re all about facts and data.  Hunches and feelings don’t come into it.  You can have a hypothesis but unless it’s backed by evidence, it remains just that, a hypothesis.  It’s Monday.  With the number of views on the Preview I am hoping it translates to a ratings boost.  I am really enjoying this drama.  I am currently also watching Where In the World (variety) with JJH in it.  Turns out he is exactly like PMJ in real life.  It’s so strange watching him lead a bunch of men through the Desert of Oman and playing it out in real life.  :lol:  No wonder PMJ’s character resonated with him.

• Like 11

@nrllee It is interesting that the conspirators chose a tailor as a symbol. Everything is measured and planned like a cloth created by the tailor. They have to wear the clothes made by the tailor illustrating their will to conform to the group's expectations and belief. It's like wearing an uniform but their uniform is a suit making it impossible to see that they are an organization, unlike under dictatorship where people like wearing uniforms in order to show their membership, where it is visible.

The reason why PMJ is dangerous to the Tailor Group is quite simple: they had planned to use him (remember OYS's words) but in reality, he was never part of their conspiracy. He never visited the tailor hence he never got to wear the suit prepared by the tailor. This illustrates that their plan was built around someone that was not formated by the Tailor Group. They just thought, he would act like a puppet as they considered him as one, since he was called a Cinderella.    

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, angelbeast90 said:

PS: Off topic: 

Yes . LJH  can draw well IRL , he drew some stuff to give away to fans last year during A Poem A Day. It is his hobby and his post grad studies was in Art & Design #fangirl :lol:

Posted by his agency...hope he has a bit more screen time tonight

6 hours ago, shamrockmom said:

So the biodad of Si Won is blackmailing the First Lady for money, and threatened to go to the press with the 'scandal'. We know the biodad is a scumbag. What is preventing him from doing this again?

Just to add to what @angelbeast90 has mentioned, it can only be a scandal if the press is willing to disclose it. If i recall correctly,  what Cha did was that he cut a deal with the reporter ( the one who's Press Sec Kim NW's nemesis and potential love line :ph34r:). So instead of reporting the story , they just showed some stuff about her (1st lady's )  fashion sense. The reporter gets exclusives from the Blue House in return. So for now it is a non-issue.

BTS stills of that scene

Spoiler

JJH heard you guys complaining about his dodgy filters..so he made them black and white :D 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 10