[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

0ly40

I too believe that Agent HNG should arrest Director of National Intelligence Service Ji Yoon-Bae  for neglecting to give protective custody for Jung Hanmo's family and letting his child get kidnapped. EDIT: failing to verify the truth of Jung Hanmo's concern that his son need his allergy medications and that someone has kidnapped him. Maybe it's time for her to question within the NIS for things getting out of hand in that agency. Why her files got confiscated and all that.  After all Park Dae has given her full authority to investigate anybody , is it not?

Also maybe Hanmo has been released and updated by Agent HNG as episode 12 was after 2 days later. But this could alert the Tailor group and they are being covert about it and still keep Hanmo in custody but with the means to rescue his child!

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Han left the Blue House because he believed that PMJ would never become successful, however the opposite happened. He gained popularity. Since PMJ came to him, he agreed to come back because he realized that this was necessary. 

I thought he was asked to leave (so he couldn’t very well have stayed even if he wanted to)?  I vaguely remember PMJ making an executive decision and fired him.  I don’t think that was planned either.  See, PMJ is a loose cannon.  He kept surprising them because he didn’t play by political rules.  They expected him to just maintain status quo.  Han had to leave and manage the operation off site.  He had enough people left on site to give him updates.  They had to rework the operation at multiple junctures when these variables were thrown into the mix, until finally they realized PMJ was getting too close to the truth of exposing them so they had to take him out.  They couldn’t wait anymore for the 60days to run its course.  

8 minutes ago, nrllee said:

I thought he was asked to leave (so he couldn’t very well have stayed even if he wanted to)?  I vaguely remember PMJ making an executive decision and fired him.  I don’t think that was planned either.  See, PMJ is a loose cannon.  He kept surprising them because he didn’t play by political rules.  They expected him to just maintain status quo.  Han had to leave and manage the operation off site.  He had enough people left on site to give him updates.  They had to rework the operation at multiple junctures when these variables were thrown into the mix, until finally they realized PMJ was getting too close to the truth of exposing them so they had to take him out.  They couldn’t wait anymore for the 60days to run its course.  

He wasn't fired. He resigned as he disagreed with PMJ's decision (the executive order).

First things first... how does PMJ managed to maintain such perfect hair at all times... even when he's in bed in hospital recuperating from major surgery from a gunshot wound?

And yes, why should Ahn Nae Sang dye his hair? No matter what kind of scoundrel Mayor Kang, I can't dislike him that much because of ANS, who plays him with a slightly theatrical flair. I've been a fan of ANS for a while now and he's one of those talented character actors that can do anything.

On a more serious note, despite everything negative I've ever said about PMJ, I think he did make the right decision to run for presidency. The show has made a decent case for it after all this time. He has a quality that good politicians have... and that is a desire to protect people. Of course the fact that he would step up to the plate was never in doubt but in the end he needed the right kind of push.

The part that was so lovely to me...  was the fact that PMJ made his big announcement in the way that he did and when he did, just as much to protect Cha Yeong Jin as to send a message to his opponents. For the first time perhaps, their roles reversed. PMJ became the man that CYJ knew was lying dormant. Someone who will fight for what they believe is right. I don't believe courage was ever the issue even if PMJ thinks that. What PMJ needed was a reason. We don't need courage to do things... we need reasons and the will. These will drive us to have courage we need to get things done.

Good people don't stay away when there's an existential fight. PMJ knows better than anyone else what is at stake. The conspiracy looms large and it's no great a surprise to anyone of us who has been paying attention that this was in large part about the treaty. So yeah, OYS wants to start a war... and I can't say I'm very surprised. He is a military man and that's the way he thinks. He's angry and he's vengeful. And judging from the way he thinks... well... he's a terrible politician. He can't work with people. He's only succeeding because he has a very powerful backer who has tremendous connections. It is exactly as someone in the show says, "He's like the student in the exam with all the answers".

Knowing what's at stake, PMJ has to act. It's like the famous Edmund Burke quote..."The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Clearly it would be safer and easier...  but it wouldn't be for the long term benefit of the country if we were all afraid to get our hands dirty.

I understand Sec Han's cynicism about PMJ. I share a lot of it. "A good man who wants to stay a good man so he doesn't want to get his hands dirty." But people can change their minds and it feels like PMJ has. The will to act is key. Plus PMJ has CYJ at his side which is the biggest plus point in all of this. 

Perhaps I'm resorting to hyperboles now but in my heart CYJ is a really great human being. In this show... the greatest. (Yeah, yeah... I'm a broken record about this) He is a finely balanced individual who has genuine goodness and shrewd intelligence. It's not a package one really expects in such an environment. His intelligence encompasses a long term view on things which I really like. Perhaps he is truly suited to being a "kingmaker"... and honestly I don't see anything wrong with that. Not everyone with intelligence has to run for office. Some of history's greatest strategists and thinkers did not rule but aided others to rule well. China's Three Kingdoms era is certainly testament to that.

In a way I don't really care who is behind the conspiracy... I don't feel that that's something I should obsess over. I just enjoy the human and political aspect of the show... the people and the dynamics. Whether or not Sec Han is the VIP or Blue House mole... I don't share everyone's certainty in those matters... he's an interesting character nonetheless and I do enjoy listening to his views on politics, life and people.

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

And yes, why should Ahn Nae Sang dye his hair? No matter what kind of scoundrel Mayor Kang, I can't dislike him that much because of ANS, who plays him with a slightly theatrical flair. I've been a fan of ANS for a while now and he's one of those talented character actors that can do anything.

Hear, hear!  He’s brilliant.  Love every character he’s done.  Off topic so in spoiler 

Spoiler

Most recently Light In Your Eyes.  Bawled my eyes out almost every episode - so cathartic  :lol:.   If you haven’t seen it I highly recommend it.  It’s a beautiful tender watch.  

9 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Actually, OYS revealed his weakness during this episode. He relies on no one, even the Chief of Defense who belongs to the organization was treated like trash by OYS. He even rejects CYJ as he views him as someone insignificant. He believes that he did great all this time, however his decisions were made based on money. He didn't close the market in order to help a certain group to buy another company. Only the rich people from that organization could benefit from it. Then the expansion of the naval base was only possible because he had the backing of someone rich: the inhabitants from that island were offered a huge compensation. Furthermore, the social media were manipulated. Everything was organized hence he shows no greatness... His successes are just the results of manipulation. 

OYS is displaying his arrogance which i believe will be his downfall. I wonder if expanding the naval base was a plan/order by the VIP.  As we can already see OYS is not the kind of person who take orders. As @40somethingahjumma said OYS is only succeeding because he has a powerful backer. I'd like to think that he will be abandoned if he gets too way over his head. 

About the leak on Sec Cha, we know it was OYS who had someone leaked that to the press. OYS was talking to someone and the camera zoomed in on his shoe. In another scene we saw Mayor Kang was tipping some reporters on Sec Cha. I guess the reason he's doing that is because his trying every means to tip the scales in his favor because of his current low rating but where did he get that info from?

Yay!,  Sec Cha is innocent...and Yay, for President Park for annoucing his candadicy. We all expect this, otherwise there wouldnt be any drama... hehe

Oh my, Kim Dan, in this drama is the reporter.. when he said his name, i nearly choked... (aigooo, the other angel Kim Dan might cough too, haha)... :)

Well, Sec Han is still not out of the woods as the prime suspect.... so we shall seee..

YAY also for Sec Jeong and Sec Cha who eventually will have that beer date... Sooooonnnnnn....:)

On 8/6/2019 at 5:06 PM, sn2111a said:

Maybe they didnt physically rescue him? since both tae ik and the other guy were no longer around, so maybe they called the mother? but then again, we also didnt see if they got to the place where they hid the kid ;;; i hope they dont leave this untouched man   

OK good, I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering what happened to the little boy who was kidnapped. He needed his medication, IIRC. I hope they don't leave this as a plot hole. 

For anyone who would like some additional insight into the economic issues (stock market crashing, panic, etc.) you might want to watch the Kmovie from last year "Sovereign Default" with Yoo Ah In.

PM me for link to Eng sub movie as I don't want to run afoul of the Soompi rules!

In the movie, YAI's character figures out that the US (with the help of the IMF) is going to manipulate the overleveraged (think: borrowed too much money) financial markets and figures out how to profit from it. The few clients he has that believe him reap a windfall--just like OYS's comrade who made money off the panic in this series. If you don't wanna spend 2 hours watching the movie, you can read my review here. I try to explain some of the economic issues, but since I am no econ major and possess a Pea-Sized brain (LOL) it is very simplistic.

@nrllee @triplem @imgreatgal @thistle

I have the impression that OYS was mentioning the VIP, when he showed his disdain for the general, member of the NSC. OYS said that someone had told him this: "Authority gives you the power to not take orders from the person you loathe". These words are revealing a lot about the person.

1. It is someone who knows how the administration and authorities work
  2. Someone who has been working for a politician because his words showed resent ("person you loathe")

Furthermore I noticed another huge difference between PMJ and OYS. While the latter oozes arrogance and trusts his abilities too much (he doesn't rely on anyone), the Acting president is the exact opposite. He doesn't trust himself much hence he prefers relying on facts and data. This is more than just humbleness, PMJ likes to get different opinions and have the full picture of the problem before making a decision. OYS rushed his decisions as he knew what he had to do... he actually just followed the order from the VIP which is quite ironic. You can see the contradiction: on the one hand, he wants to become the president so that he will no longer receive any order but in reality, he is still obeying orders. That's why the confrontation between the VIP and OYS is inevitable as once the latter is president, he will refuse to follow the VIP's orders.   

I don't know if its related or even have correlation at all, but reading everyone interpretation and comments somehow I remember the Lee Seung Gi drama "The king 2 Hearts"

the bad guy described himself as a VIP, untouchable... yet he has hands on everything including ruling the current government. In King 2 Hearts it was the president secretary who turns out to be the mole of every caused happen to the imperial family. So in DS there must be someone act as a mole too and he/she is very close to PMJ.

So in this Designated Survivor... I can't help but suspect everyone...  the VIP and the tailor .... who are they? how come a tailor very fluent in politics... he looks like a king maker not a tailor. 

The way I see it, OYS used KSK in order to leak the info about CYJ's situation. Remember that in the episode, KSK visited Yun and said to the journalists that it was important to show harmony among the candidates for the elections. So this revealed that KSK wanted to use Yun's popularity for his own campaign and to become her ally so that in case of her victory, she might give him a position. In a way, KSK is well aware that he needs the support from another candidate in order to get rid of his biggest threads. He definitely shows a lust for power. KSK thought first that Yun was a better "ally" until OYS's move (the Gasan island naval base) appeared to be successful.

The problem is that KSK has the lowest ratings among the candidates hence he had already anticipated that PMJ would run for the presidential election. By leaking info about CYJ, KSK's goal was first to stop PMJ from running the election and thus to destroy the relationship between CYJ and PMJ. KSK thought that CYJ would try to defend his reputation and his career so that PMJ's move (suspecting CYJ) would have been criticized. On the other hand, PMJ wouldn't have been able to run for presidency due to this effect. However, the problem was that CYJ decided to resign instead of defending his honor so that PMJ had still the possibility to announce his candidacy. 

Don't forget, the VIP and OYS value honor, career and reputation the most hence they never imagined that CYJ would make such a sacrifice. 

As conclusion, I have the impression that Yun will become PMJ's ally as she realizes that OYS represents a real danger to democracy. Han revealed his desdain for Yun as he described her as someone whose only goal was to disturb the president and the administration which is quite similar to OYS's atttitude. 

So this explained the arcade pic on Son's IG

2 hours ago, sn2111a said:

Naseong chemicals/electronics was mentioned again... is there really a connection? Seems like the old ceo guy might be the ceo to naseong?? 

(could this be paralleling the family conglomerates corruption prob irl??)

Spoiler

A conglomerate could be involved as the American version mastermind is a CEO of a huge corporation.

6 hours ago, sn2111a said:

Naseong chemicals/electronics was mentioned again... is there really a connection? Seems like the old ceo guy might be the ceo to naseong?? 

Now that's a really intriguing idea. So Naseong chemicals might funded the bombing and they want another government who is sympathetic to them. That old man ( who got his measurements measure by the Tailor guy),said PMJ gets on his nerves , maybe he knows him somehow from when PMJ's wife went to court with the case against them. Maybe old man has seen PMJ giving testimony in court!

6 hours ago, sn2111a said:

Good catch!! Completely missed that point altogether about the links with PMJ’s wife going to court and how they met as a result.  Yes I think that idea about some big corporation bankrolling the terrorist cell was tossed around in previous posts.  :)

Archived