[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

0ly40

gonna start ep 13...

it makes sense to join a political party (like bernie sanders even tho he is an independent but this is also in american politics which are a lot more divided than anywhere else.) i guess he's saying joining a party will make things skewed towards one outcome? truly sometimes the wording confuses me.

re: the first episode and the meeting. ofc he did it on purpose! i don't think that there's this fine line between lies and truth. i think that doing the right thing may not always be "ethical" (in terms of truths) and he did tell his wife that the ends doesn't justfiy the means. because how you get there does affect it along the way.

he publicized the fact that they were not going to bow down to the US, nor should they, and showed how disgusting the dust was. and then he refuses to sign off on it because, even though 50k extra cars is absurd, the actual number being 1m+ is even worse and disgusting. it's interesting to see his thought process. also while rewatching, i'm up to episode 2 in the rewatch, it's clear how influential president yang was.

everyone loved him and respected him. i admire the show's way of relating this to people and showing that the world has had true democratic leaders who have had to make tough choices but there's some really great people out there, working with other great people (like his human rights lawyer wife!) and doing the best they can. president yang was so unpopular in the end because this major thing was going to happen. bet 50 yrs down the line, he, too, will be seen as a revolutionary. pmj is following! excited for ep 12 :) 

slight spoiler from 8m in

Spoiler

when cha agrees with pmj and says "you're right" and smiles. EEEEEEE!!!!!!his president

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

image.png

This taking is really telling: CYJ has always considered Han as his closest advisor and even as a mentor, however we can observe how Han has drifted from CYJ. This taking illustrates the gap between them. Han refuses to consider PMJ as a good president candidate and he doesn't want to support him. CYJ is disagreeing with him... Han even mentions Yang as another reason why he can not be supportive. At the end, both go to different directions. Since Han belongs to the conspiracy, this scene underlines his change, he is no longer a democrat what he has been hiding pretty well...

Oh wow . Eps 13 was pretty eventful that I am not sure where I should start.  Here are some important highlights/ recaps if you want some SPOILERS for the eps:

So upon PMJ's announcement, the first pressing matter is for him to decide if would join the majority party ( Yang's party before this) . Cha said that it would be necessary as no previous president had ever won the seat as an independant, and elections are all about teamwork.  But PMJ felt that joining a party was rather divisive , not a message he wanted to send especially at a time like this when they were fighting terrorists and the country was still in such turmoil. And surprisingly, Cha agreed. So history  in the making here for an independent candidate to win?  I am excited! ( P.S Mayor Kang who died his hair to look more handsome was happy since this mean he would naturally be the ruling party's candidate)

Cha does not forget that PMJ has never campaigned . I found it so cute when he was telling PMJ  from how to shake hands (grip level) to eye contact ( 2 seconds) etc. I thought I saw PMJ slightly regretting his decision , looking rather flustered. :w00t: But PMJ knows that Cha is right ( pay attention to the scene they walk in sync) , and does as told. However  his first engagement post candidacy announcement was to congratulate an award winning movie director / writer ( Noh) . She was initially cynical and refused to shake his hand as she was not happy to be used by PMJ to fish for votes. But PMJ demonstrated his sincerity by quoting a line from her early work - Freedom without taboo ( something like that ) and long story short it led to her coming out as gay  , introducing her partner.

This took PMJ and all reporters by surprised and of course you can imagine the spin that came. Does PMJ support same-sex relationships?  Some photos of him showed him rather shocked but it was not that he was against it but more because he was surprised at the announcement. But most of the media spin is that he was for it . This was further fuelled when Press Sec Kim while trying to defend PMJ from accusations of being disapproving with his flustered expression , accidentally spills the beans that PMJ is not anti anyone and in fact is  wanting to enact the Anti-Discrimination Act.

So what was wrong with it especially when it was a good bill , which the UN has been trying to get the country to set up? This bill unfortunately is a something that many presidents in the past never dared bring up and those who did , including Yang, failed to get it passed. So here's the deal - from what I understand from reading and told to me by my SK students, this is a country that is rather homophobic. And till now has yet to set up an anti-discrimination law .  You can read more here:

The problem was this bill would spell political suicide for some and it often attracted alot of controversy . Cha was against it as he felt that PMJ was already behind OYS in the polls and right now was not the best time to get it tabled at the National Assembly.

OYS takes this opportunity to show his political skills, cleverly approving and disapproving in his press con. Yun and Kang wants to use this to take him down. Yun goes to see him and tells him to get it tabled even giving him tips on how to expedite the process.- Cha says her real intentions is for PMJ to be slaughtered .   PMJ was quite keen to have it tabled as the bill was a really good one and something the country sorely needed. Press Sec Kim was all for it but Cha was not keen.  The duo have rather heated exchanges till PMJ told both to shut it and not influence his judgement . Later  Cha told Kim off and said this should be taken outside ...and lol, they both had a game of basketball to see who would win. 

So another important development is that General Yun was discovered to be present when the bombing simulation was done in the past. He was called in for interrogation by the Security Chief. He and Agent Han took this opportunity to bug his phone before letting him go. Now Yun realised that OYS is also part of the VIP's team. So he met up covertly with OYS and said that he suspects OYS is the miraculous survivor designed by the VIP. He told OYS that they should try to rule the world ( the two of them) as the VIP was merely using them and OYS would always just be the puppet. OYS was not happy to hear that . Agent Han now is aware of VIP.  Later on OYS calls Tailor Kim demanding a meet up with VIP. He threatened to withdraw his candidacy if this was not met. (OYS isn't the obedient soldier the VIP expects eh? Don't be surprised if he gets killed off by the VIP ). 

Okay, i think I wrote quite a bit. Anyway , good news the kid is safe, Tae Ik is still alive but he isn't actually Tae Ik and at the end PMJ decides to get the bill tabled !  And oh i think there might be hope for our little ship as Cha was going to say something more to Jeong till Kim interrupted :D 

not much in terms of the mystery, but that was a really good episode. i think the feel of the drama isn't super fast-paced and leans towards lots of emotions which i like along with this mystery. i'm liking everyone more and more each ep. 

really proud of the writers for bringing this specific subject up especially spurred by a woman and her female partner. pres. moon doesn't support lgbtq+ and the military in SK is going through many HR violations and like the UN has been asking them to stop because of the discrimination of gay/trans [men] people in the military. very interesting that they went there. as always, proud of them.

his conversation at the end wit the director is so sweet. she seemed so lost and i love how honest and open she was. this means a lot to people, when someone affirms that you are human and nothing is wrong with you. and when pmj basically tells her it's his duty, she has no reason to feel like she doesn't deserve happiness or equality. ah...

and kim nam wook had a great thing to say. besides that quote being awesome (never heard of it b4!) he has a point. why would they work so so so so hard to the point of sickness, can't see their friends, loved ones, families only to let things stay the same? what is the point? Isn't that why they do this? so they can live with dignity along with everyone else?

also politically it's a good move he is bringing this to the cabinet because he doesn't know if he will be elected. might as well live in the now.

can't wait for tomorrow!

I really loved the new episode... I believe that PMJ has realized that the polls don't represent reality because like the movie director said, for the first time, she wants to vote. She even realized her mistake, she had a prejudice against politicians. By passing the bill, PMJ can show that his words are not empty promises. He outlines that polls don't matter to him, he just wants to do his duty.

By the way, Han showed his disdain for democracy in this episode. He resents people as he perceives them as the culprit for backstabbing Yang. So his words to Cha gives me the impression that he has not truly perceived OYS's nature. He thinks that OYS is a politician, a really good one, while in verity he is just a potential dictator.   

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

This taking is really telling: CYJ has always considered Han as his closest advisor and even as a mentor, however we can observe how Han has drifted from CYJ. This taking illustrates the gap between them. Han refuses to consider PMJ as a good president candidate and he doesn't want to support him. CYJ is disagreeing with him... Han even mentions Yang as another reason why he can not be supportive. At the end, both go to different directions. Since Han belongs to the conspiracy, this scene underlines his change, he is no longer a democrat what he has been hiding pretty well...

Love that scene (and that shot!). Han is Cha's father's figure in politics. He confided in him, trusted his judgment. For me whenever Han is in the conspiracy (and if we take what he said as genuine) - he apparently takes Yang Ji Man's lack of approval in press to heart. I do understand how his disillusionment comes from. He has sacrifices his life and family for nothing. This was repeated by Cha and Kim Nam Wook after the basketball matchup. I hope Cha gets his chimaek soon, both actors keep teasing about this in instagram.

By the way, Han showed his desdain for democracy in this episode. He resents people as he perceives them as the culprit for backstabbing Yang. So his words to Cha gives me the impression that he has not truly perceived OYS's nature. He thinks that OYS is a politician, a really good one, while in verity he is just a potential dictator.   

Agree! And he apparently thinks that he is another politician, just that he could win votes. He still perceives that Park Mu Jin is a (weaker) clone of Yang Jin Man, and possibly he doesnt know OYS is literally one main figure behind the bombing.

Btw here's my translation of Han's character bio from TVN:

EBvvaGSUcAAG_3a?format=jpg&name=large

And there is so much to unpack this EP. The introduction of discrimination act is very very relevant to Korea's political landscape. This tweet just comes up a few days ago:

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I believe that PMJ has realized that the polls don't represent reality because like the movie director said, for the first time, she wants to vote

This.  The polls do not reflect the silent majority.  It was highlighted in the elections in my country.  Polls indicated one party would win easily right up to election time.  But the trailing party kept campaigning regardless and when the voting results were released, you could tell the media and everyone else reporting were flabbergasted.  The silent majority won out.  By a large margin.  Which led to media departments scratching their heads as to how they got it so wrong.  The silent majority is a legitimate force to contend with.  As PMJ would say, the data is wrong because the premise upon which the data was collated was faulty.

It’s not mandatory to vote in South Korea.  So in effect by moving for the legislation of the Act, he would be pooling those who have been on the sidelines with regards to social issues they feel strongly about (the silent majority).  It’s a huge gamble though because you never know how they will vote or if there’s enough of them to swing the results in the end.

I really applaud how they have portrayed the marriage relationship between PMJ and his wife.  Understated but so very effectual.  She didn’t yell at him for not consulting her when he made such a huge decision which would impact the family.  There was just annoyance on her part but underlying that was an understanding that it would’ve been a hard decision to make for him and the fact that she was worried for him.  And his very honest but loving response was just the ticket.  “I was afraid you would sway my resolve.”  It was an indirect way of saying that her opinion mattered so much to him, he knew he would falter if he had spoken to her beforehand.  “Coffee is good”, he says rather apologetically.  And her response to check on his physical condition with a loving pat on his arm was enough.  No fights. No grandiose statements. The fact that she didn’t make a massive fuss about it mattered.  Words didn’t need to be said.  It was all in what was unsaid.  I love this power couple :wub:

And I love the battle between Cha and Press Secretary...on the basketball court.  :lol:.  I was so ready for them to go blow for blow “Outside”.  But they dealt with their differences in a very adult way.  Man to man.  So hot :lol:.  Ironed it out in the end.  No pettiness, no underhanded acts, respectfully.  Love it.  

3 hours ago, sn2111a said:

Han keeps on portraying himself as a protective aide towards PMJ, using what Yang has went thru, and I'm still not sure whether he has a sincere concern for PMJ getting hurt and all for being the good guy in politics. He's silent most of the time it really scares me that the other BH aides arent even suspecting Han. 

From yesterday's episode I felt as if Han is trying hard to stay on his decision. He is watching a upgraded version of previous president. President Yang Jin Man was a good and a kind person. He gave importance to approval ratings and didn't pass the discrimination bill. But PMJ, he is a scientist turned politician. For him, every decision he makes is based on facts and data. And Han knows that. He understood that PMJ would never waver the moment they talked about the scandal regarding his son. He understood that he is more strong willed than the previous president. Like PMJ won over Cha and most of the blue house members through his sincerity, he is somewhere afraid that he would won over public. And this thought angers him that then why they didn't see YJMs sincerity. Why did the people didn't accept the previous president's ideologies. 

All of a sudden I question why PMJ had to give Han a job in BH. After he came back he is always complaining on this or that but does not try to contribute towards a solution!!! Why does he have to act holier than thou and is always telling Mr. Cha I know better than you!

But one things for sure. PMJ has garnered a lot of votes from a happy accident. Could it be called a happy accident? He has garnered the votes of people who never vote and discriminated gay people, I feel.

But the highlight of the episode for me was a funny moment when Namwook shouted "YA! CHA!" and Mr. Cha was confounded he was being talked down to by Namwook! LOL:lol:

Also now Agent HNG knows their really is a VIP other than the actual VIP. I hope things pick up on the investigation front. Seo Jiwon was right in telling her to take a bit rest as there was nothing that urgent on that night as they have resucued the child and they have identified TaeIk or whoever it is. But if he tries to leave the country will not the border security alert NIS that is if they capture him! But if he leaves there is no way they can extradite him as they have no evidence of what he committed! So I hope they capture him soon.

I am also not sure of Madam Yun's masterplan either . This time she really has me confused. Does she want to help PMJ or the help is so that he gets teared down in assembly and by the media and people!

Those are my thoughts after watching with subs and after chewing the cud for a long time!:lol:

-----------------------------------------

papgo trans says:

Kim Nam-wook, do you think you've accumulated a lot?
All of a sudden, you's What's the title?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1F5Kq5pf-J/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

ps: I keep forgetting how to embed instagram!!:tears:

Anyone want to take a stab at what the primary goal is for the terror cell?  All I have worked out is what they are AGAINST (no peace with North Korea) but not much seems to be revealed about what their actual cause is?  If they want a new Korea, what is it they really want to see?  We sort of know what Oh wants to see and his leadership style but he seems to be at odds with the VIP so his personal views doesn’t seem to be aligning with the VIP’s?  I am trying to work out what their (VIP) primary driver is.  Advisor Han’s conversation with Cha in the corridors.  He spits out rather hatefully that the people don’t “deserve” a good President.  Instead they have chosen a man like Oh who wields power as he pleases.  What is his (Han) motive in letting the country implode like that?   It’s as if he is saying, “well I really don’t care anymore. This country has chosen to kill itself by choosing a dictator like Oh.  So be it.”  Is he so bitter about the whole nation that this is his way of personal vengeance (on a large scale?)?  So it’s not so much about building a new (or better) country at all, it’s about sending the country to it’s “death”.  Just thinking out loud. :lol:

2 hours ago, nrllee said:

Anyone want to take a stab at what the primary goal is for the terror cell?  All I have worked out is what they are AGAINST (no peace with North Korea) but not much seems to be revealed about what their actual cause is?  If they want a new Korea, what is it they really want to see?  We sort of know what Oh wants to see and his leadership style but he seems to be at odds with the VIP so his personal views doesn’t seem to be aligning with the VIP’s?  I am trying to work out what their (VIP) primary driver is.  Advisor Han’s conversation with Cha in the corridors.  He spits out rather hatefully that the people don’t “deserve” a good President.  Instead they have chosen a man like Oh who wields power as he pleases.  What is his (Han) motive in letting the country implode like that?   It’s as if he is saying, “well I really don’t care anymore. This country has chosen to kill itself by choosing a dictator like Oh.  So be it.”  Is he so bitter about the whole nation that this is his way of personal vengeance (on a large scale?)?  So it’s not so much about building a new (or better) country at all, it’s about sending the country to it’s “death”.  Just thinking out loud. :lol:

Ok let me try. First of all we have to look at the mastermind meaning the VIP. I don't think Han is the VIP. Someone said in the drama (can't remember who, have to rewatch ep13) that the VIP is a very rich and powerful person. A peace treaty with NK means the US will have a limited presence in SK. These rich and powerful conglomerates may loose billions in arms deals with the US. Things like creating a new Korea is just a farce and OYS may soon realize he is just a tool. 

I believe Han still mourns for Yang. President Yang worked so hard to realize the peace treaty but people just don't care. They choose to believe what they want. As an eg. the Discrimination Act is for basic equal rights not just sexual orientation but the opposition is manipulating the truth to discredit PMJ. Han must be tired and have lost faith in the masses. Could it be that Han is protecting PMJ in some way?

So who is the mole in the BH? The issue of why Gen Lee security clearance was revoked was not dealt with or did it. Will someone care to enlightened me on that one. 

p.s. Gen Eun had knew the contents of the confidential file but did not have accesses to it. Who then leaked it, it comes back to the mole then. 

I totally loved episode 13. 

OYS is losing his cool little by little. 

V.I.P? Could he only want to make more money? Could it be that simple reason for treason?

And when he has his own puppet president he could actually run the country. 

Han? It looks like he hates his country and doesn't care after YAng died in the bombing. So is he actually involved? I don't think so. 

But who is the mole? the classes lady( can't remember her name), president park assistant who also has classes, or is it really han who is the mole?

2 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Am I the only one worried about President Park bursting his stitches? Even secretary Cha chose to ignore his obvious signs of pain. Poor President..

Yes, that was actually quite worrying. I guess that was done for effect. This is a selfless man who is giving his all to ensure that the most important position in this country does not fall into the wrong hands.

I think this is possibly the  most important difference between the other candidates and him. The rest want the power for themselves , he wants it to ensure that it is not abused. 

-------------------

Gonna make this my fan level :lol:. I love these two as well. I get why tabling the  Anti-Discriminatory act was so important to Nam Wook. Yep, he wasn't thinking things from a political standpoint; it was not good for the polls but for a moment it was not Press Secretary Kim who was talking . It was the wish of Kim Nam Wook , a  North Korean defector  and who has had to work doubly hard to prove his loyalty to his adopted home and  to prove that he deserves this position. He , more than anyone else , knows what it's like to suffer discrimination first hand. 

Archived