[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

0ly40

@jenappelle ah its okay! But I am recommending to watch the American version. You’ll die laughing of the bantering and how the Cabinet for Housing became the Designated Survivor. In Korean version they made him Scientist from KAIST. Well, I believe they chose the school well to represent a scientist from KAIST (but I am so bias because my older sibling graduated there as foreigner scientist-engineer. hahhahaha). Also, for Korean setting  what hooked me more to the drama were the wise crack of music so deadly spot on! hahahahaha! The humor of video editor — I’m so done! hahhahaah! 

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finised ep10...Sigh!  Sec Cha?? Really...Oh no....  Sec Han had more power than Cha... we can just hope for the best.

Really sad for Agents Han and Kim and the show is good in promoting patriotic sentiments to viewers, country before self... sigh... and whose that boy who is in love with Agent Han? Will they end up together?

1 hour ago, jenappelle said:

@bebebisous33

That was a wonderful read, and thank you for contributing!

Can we examine these leaks you mentioned? What are the actions that are possibly created by the Tailor group?

1)     Leak 1: Park gets fired on that Day – I cant recall correctly whether An is the leak or there is someone else?

2)    Leak 2: His son is not his and possibility of an affair – leak is from both the Agent and ex husband

3)    Leak 3: NK video leak – from Cha

My question is, what are the tailor’s group strategy? It seems like post bombing, they let Oh take the center stage, while clearing out “weeds”. But in EP10, it seems like they will take an active role to let Oh has the advantage, and next we know, there is a shooting.

Also I feel that Oh may not agree entirely with Tailor’s group, however both of their goals fits, and hence Oh bring his military gang over to the Tailor.

And I think Han is the chess piece in terms of administration mole. He might have another mole working with him eg Call centre, as well as multiple moles around. Because he knew the blueprint of the Assembly, has the means back then to approve the building of secret room, as well as swaying Yang’s strategies.

You are right that rich industrialist must be present to support such a huge maneuver  besides having military and administrative support. But I am still racking my brain trying to think about links on it.

Also, I am thinking of shooting as a means to sway public opinion. For example this case, 3-19 shooting incident. I was a kid back then, but I remember how the public opinion swayed to the then President, and he did won the reelection. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-19_shooting_incident

With regards to Oh, he is shrouded with mystery, covering his motivation as much as possible (Unlike Cha who has revealed his motivation) except for the scene with Yun. That was the only time his peacelike mask falls off slightly. He is angry about how his comrades are being treated, and based on how his comrades treated him (with a dog like loyalty), I think they have the same mind as Oh.

Thanks a lot for the compliment! :wub:It's great to read that my long analysis are appreciated.

However, I would like to add something about the leaks:

Leak 1. Park getting fired was leaked by Ahn Se Young. During that time, Han was no longer working but he knew about it.

Leak 2: the agent who discovered the possibility of the affair couldn't leak the scandal as he died in the attack. The reporter got it from the ex-husband and I suspect that someone in the Blue House must have read the file about PMJ. I doubt that Han did it directly. 

Notice that Han has never leaked anything directly but in my opinion, he expected it to be leaked as he had planned it. This is his MO. He is never directly linked, just like the project was created under Yang's name. However, Han never thought that PMJ would be able to deal with these problems. I would like to underline that PMJ has always valued morality, integrity and people, whereas Han spoke of pride, shame and nation!! 

As for the ultimate goal of that group, it looks like that a new regime should take place. Notice that OYS talked about a revolution. Just like Hitler who described his access to power (his nomination as Chancellor) as a nationalist revolution... I have the impression that a dictatorship or a authoritarian government should be expected, under the disguise of legality. OYS wins the election. Hitler wanted to get the power legally and used the fire of the Reichstag building (The building of the German National Assembly) in order to revoke certain civil rights. Don't forget that just after the attack, martial laws had been declared. 

We heard that a weapons company delivered the explosive to that Internet company that's why I thought that some industrialists from that sector must be supporting these conspirators. Furthermore, I suspect another group, the media. The superior of the journalist Woo could be working for them. Notice how he manipulated Woo, he used her as a pawn. She realized her mistake too late. She hated it to have been used like that. So some people from the industry, the military, the Blue House, the police, the NSI and the media have been planted there in order to ensure the "revolution". They infiltrated the different organizations. I am quite sure that LGM's clearance was revoked because the conspirators knew that he would never support them. He might be a hardliner concerning North Korea but he is quite loyal to the regime. Notice that each time, they discover something... there is always someone who will be blamed: the general LMG for the file, CYJ for the call, the NSI agent for the murder of that North Korean dissident, the "general from North Korean" who fled from his country for the bombing etc. The latter was in reality  just a puppet and was misled. He had no idea about the true goal of that bombing. He was used as a cover up. I also believe that Yun's coordinator is a mole working for the terrorists as he was by her side, when Han called her. He knew about her coming. 

12 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

And honestly... that's all it is. :D It is just to get JSJ all jumpy so that the romance gets postponed.

Yeah, the usual bumpy ride in the Kdrama relationship. :D Which we all know they will overcome and she will have to do the asking next time :lol:.

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Leak 2: the agent who discovered the possibility of the affair couldn't leak the scandal as he died in the attack. The reporter got it from the ex-husband and I suspect that someone in the Blue House must have read the file about PMJ. I doubt that Han did it directly. 

Have you watched the most recent Eps yet?  It was revealed (howbeit cryptically) that it was JunO (Agent Han NG’s fiancé) who leaked the parenting scandal.  He had been assigned to the Blue House then and was the one vetting PMJ’s documentation.  He was thought to have died in the bombing.  But of course he didn’t.  It was his way of getting PMJ’s attention and the IP address led PMJ to meet him at that house.

Yes you have picked up all the other suspected “moles” or “chess pieces” in play.  It is a new regime they are planning.  But I do like your (and @40somethingahjumma) thoughts about someone else outside with the means to bankroll such an operation.  Maybe this will be the faceless VIP that has yet to be revealed.

So I guess the ones in the regime for a New Korea headed by faceless VIP potentially are

1. Ex Sec Han (now Advisor Han)

2. OYS (and his PTSD friends?)

3. Assemblewoman Yun’s Advisor

4. NIS head (HanMo’s boss - where HanMo is Agent HNG’s boss)

5. TaeIk and the other Tailor guy at the shop

6. Head of Security Detail (PMJ’s bodyguard who follows him to see JunO) ??? Yes/No?

The regime seems to be against a unified Korea.  South Korea was on the brink of signing a new peace deal with North Korea (Sec Han was enroute to the DMZ for official meetings with North Korea delegate), Pres Yang made the official announcement during his speech at the National Assembly which caused quite a stir until the bomb went off seconds later).  The new regime wants a South Korea without the shackles of a merger with the North.  Hence the bombing to halt all conversations and to make North Korea out to be the bad guys again.  PMJ’s dismissal (remember he was dismissed by Yang on the day of the bombing), I seriously doubt he was part of the equation in the regime’s original plans?  He was supposed to die like all the other Ministers.  So they scrambled to get him into the hot seat in the interim.  They expected him to flounder and fail miserably or just sit tight and leave after 60days.  But of course he didn’t so they have been trying to play catch up with this loose cannon all this while.  I guess finally they decided it was too risky to leave him be and had to take him out by assassinating him.

Sec Cha is a CEO IRL, link below. He must be really respect the craft to venture out of the comfort zone. And really OP IMO, to be able to juggle so many hats and be really good at it. 

P.S. sorry bout posting article from rival site.

7 hours ago, nrllee said:

Yeah, the usual bumpy ride in the Kdrama relationship. :D Which we all know they will overcome and she will have to do the asking next time :lol:.

Have you watched the most recent Eps yet?  It was revealed (howbeit cryptically) that it was JunO (Agent Han NG’s fiancé) who leaked the parenting scandal.  He had been assigned to the Blue House then and was the one vetting PMJ’s documentation.  He was thought to have died in the bombing.  But of course he didn’t.  It was his way of getting PMJ’s attention and the IP address led PMJ to meet him at that house.

Yes you have picked up all the other suspected “moles” or “chess pieces” in play.  It is a new regime they are planning.  But I do like your (and @40somethingahjumma) thoughts about someone else outside with the means to bankroll such an operation.  Maybe this will be the faceless VIP that has yet to be revealed.

So I guess the ones in the regime for a New Korea headed by faceless VIP potentially are

1. Ex Sec Han (now Advisor Han)

2. OYS (and his PTSD friends?)

3. Assemblewoman Yun’s Advisor

4. NIS head (HanMo’s boss - where HanMo is Agent HNG’s boss)

5. TaeIk and the other Tailor guy at the shop

6. Head of Security Detail (PMJ’s bodyguard who follows him to see JunO) ??? Yes/No?

The regime seems to be against a unified Korea.  South Korea was on the brink of signing a new peace deal with North Korea (Sec Han was enroute to the DMZ for official meetings with North Korea delegate), Pres Yang made the official announcement during his speech at the National Assembly which caused quite a stir until the bomb went off seconds later).  The new regime wants a South Korea without the shackles of a merger with the North.  Hence the bombing to halt all conversations and to make North Korea out to be the bad guys again.  PMJ’s dismissal (remember he was dismissed by Yang on the day of the bombing), I seriously doubt he was part of the equation in the regime’s original plans?  He was supposed to die like all the other Ministers.  So they scrambled to get him into the hot seat in the interim.  They expected him to flounder and fail miserably or just sit tight and leave after 60days.  But of course he didn’t so they have been trying to play catch up with this loose cannon all this while.  I guess finally they decided it was too risky to leave him be and had to take him out by assassinating him.

Thanks for the rectification. I had actually forgotten about it.

Honestly, I doubt that PMJ's bodyguard could be a mole. I am suspecting more someone else... HNG's colleague from the NSI because he was the one who was asked first to track down KJW's cellphone. Remember that after she found the cellphone, a few minutes later TaeIk took it away from her. How could have he known about the location of the cellphone? Since Han believed, KJW was dead, the organization believed it as well. And her colleague was the first one to know about it without her telling him. In my opinion, he might have asked for a favor: HNG shouldn't be hurt as he loves her. Once KJW was declared dead, he could start at some point woo her but now the way he died makes it impossible. Don't forget that HNG has never suspected him once... he was already part of the investigation. Yet, on the way to deliver the new discoveries, HM was forced to admit his guilt. HM hadn't even mentioned anything to the NSI chief. Besides, don't you find it weird that HNG has been accused of being an accomplice, while he was spared? Yet the others from the NSI could see that HNG and him were quite close. Do you think that it is a coincidence with his "punishment"? Now he is able to be by her side all the time... Remember that when HNG discovered that KJW was alive, soon after he got killed. He was with her, when he realized that KJW was alive.

@bebebisous33 Yeah I was having some suspicions about him... Agent Han’s Hoobae?  The one who has a secret crush on her?  Although I was trying not to have everyone end up being on the bad side just because I had an inkling  :lol:.  At one point I was wondering about the lady with a bob (not SJ), the one who types up the transcripts :lol:.  No one is safe. 

@yoondonggu when I first read your post in the DS60 context I was like WHAT?  Since when was Cha a CEO?  Did he bankroll the terror plot?  Is he the VIP???  Until I read it again and realised I read wrong :lol:.  

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

Honestly, I doubt that PMJ's bodyguard could be a mole. I am suspecting more someone else... HNG's colleague from the NSI because he was the one who was asked first to track down KJW's cellphone. Remember that after she found the cellphone, a few minutes later TaeIk took it away from her. How could have he known about the location of the cellphone? Since Han believed, KJW was dead, the organization believed it as well. And her colleague was the first one to know about it without her telling him. In my opinion, he might have asked for a favor: HNG shouldn't be hurt as he loves her. Once KJW was declared dead, he could start at some point woo her but now the way he died makes it impossible. Don't forget that HNG has never suspected him once... he was already part of the investigation. Yet, on the way to deliver the new discoveries, HM was forced to admit his guilt. HM hadn't even mentioned anything to the NSI chief. Besides, don't you find it weird that HNG has been accused of being an accomplice, while he was spared? Yet the others from the NSI could see that HNG and him were quite close. Do you think that it is a coincidence with his "punishment"? Now he is able to be by her side all the time... Remember that when HNG discovered that KJW was alive, soon after he got killed. He was with her, when he realized that KJW was alive.

Do you mean that computer guy?? i just thought that it was weird that he is with her all the time. He is not a field guy but base in the office right? Doesn't his boss notice that he's been missing from his work station??

7 minutes ago, imgreatgal said:

Do you mean that computer guy?? i just thought that it was weird that he is with her all the time. He is not a field guy but base in the office right? Doesn't his boss notice that he's been missing from his work station??

Yes I think @bebebisous33 is referring to Agent HNG’s Hoobae who is with her now on the run.  He gave up a lot for her.  His apartment was blown up. :huh: He’s on the run with her.  I thought it was weird that the boss didn’t follow up on him when she ran off.  You’d think they would investigate all those who seemed close to her? Plot hole maybe. 

@nrllee @imgreatgal Yes, I was referring to the Hoobae, the IT guy. Yes, his flat was blown up but this is the best cover for not suspecting him. For me, he looks really like a double agent. Furthermore, the IT guy knew that KJW would be observing HNG since he was the one who rescued her once. In order to eliminate him, they had to target her because he would come to her rescue, like he did the last time. What they don't know is that PMJ had already met KJW and told him about his suspicions. Therefore the conspirators think that they eliminated every possible thread except PMJ as HNG has been caught and she is already accused of being an accomplice. The question is when PMJ will be able to meet HNG. In my opinion, the chief of the NSI will be the next who will be caught. PMJ needs to remove him in order to release HNG and Han Mo. 

Good thoughts @bebebisous33.  Actually I was also wondering if they saved the boy before they dashed off to stop the assassination.  Agent HNG killed one of them.  TaeIk was with the boy and presumably left him (the boy) on his own in the apartment?  I guess he assumed the other guy would come back soon with the ice cream except he didn’t coz he died in the alleyway?  Unless they tipped off his mom to ring the police to get him?  They couldn’t exactly ring the police themselves coz they were fugitives?  I guess IT Hoobae could’ve worked his magic and phoned in anonymously...  too many questions.  Just have to wait for next week to reveal more answers 

@bebebisous33 you're the best detective. hahaha it could all be about timing. I mean the gas was leaking in the apartment. What if JunO had call a few minutes late or HNG had turned on the stove then the guy didn't even have to use his remote and the double agent IT guy would be blown up as well. 

23 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Good thoughts @bebebisous33.  Actually I was also wondering if they saved the boy before they dashed off to stop the assassination.  Agent HNG killed one of them.  TaeIk was with the boy and presumably left him (the boy) on his own in the apartment?  I guess he assumed the other guy would come back soon with the ice cream except he didn’t coz he died in the alleyway?  Unless they tipped off his mom to ring the police to get him?  They couldn’t exactly ring the police themselves coz they were fugitives?  I guess IT Hoobae could’ve worked his magic and phoned in anonymously...  too many questions.  Just have to wait for next week to reveal more answers 

Saving the kid is the best clue to save HNG and Han Mo. PMJ didn't believe in Han Mo's guilt hence once the kid is rescued, he can withdraw his confession and explain his situation. Furthermore the wife is another witness. Besides, the kid can confirm the identity of the assassins. HNG had already made a portrait of the killer and if her clues are  combined with the video, the authorities can no longer suspect her. I am quite sure that PMJ will ensure to meet HNG without letting anyone know about it. I have the impression that PMJ might fake his injury... that's why his face was covered so that he misled the conspirators to believe that their plan succeeded. While being supposed at the hospital, PMJ might start acting in the shadow in order to escape from the Blue House's attention (the different moles).

@imgreatgal Thanks a lot for the compliment. Okay, about the timing. Killing her with the explosion would have helped them as she represented a danger. Furthermore, these conspirators have no problem to kill people in the name of a good cause. Killing one of their agents/moles  is justified as a necessary sacrifice.

However, in my opinion, they imagined that KJW would remain close to HNG because he managed to stop the killer at the right time. So they thought that KJW would be following her. What they didn't expect was that KJW had the support of another agent which helped him to leave her and meet the Acting president. They didn't know that KJW would be able to rely on another agent who was trustworthy. 

The only reason I didn’t think Hoobae was in on the plot was because he’s not high enough in the hierarchy to be effective as a chess piece.  NIS head was already there overseeing everything so in theory, he should’ve had everything under control or been able to bury all evidence.  Except Agent HNG didn’t follow procedure.  And then I thought maybe Hoobae was acting on JunO’s behalf and was asked (by JunO) to look out for Agent HNG whilst JunO went missing.  Especially when she showed up at his apartment after that accident.  But I sort of dismissed his being party to the plot and regime in the end.  It seemed superfluous to have him as well as the head in the same department working on the terror plot.  And JunO seemed to like working alone because he couldn’t trust anyone so it would be weird for him to be in cahoots with Hoobae IT guy as well.  So I deemed him innocent and was just caught up in the whole process like Agent HNG was.

The other reason why I think Security Detail Head is part of it is because how else will TaeIk have gotten the lapel pin for Security?  And he was the first person Sec Han rang after the bombing.  His first question, “How is the President?” And then the next scene was the Security Detail dashing out and eventually identifying PMJ at Ground Zero and hustling him to the Blue House to be sworn in.  Then there’s all the camera pans onto his facial expressions all the time which would really be unnecessary if he were just Security?? 

54 minutes ago, nrllee said:

The only reason I didn’t think Hoobae was in on the plot was because he’s not high enough in the hierarchy to be effective as a chess piece.  NIS head was already there overseeing everything so in theory, he should’ve had everything under control or been able to bury all evidence.  Except Agent HNG didn’t follow procedure.  And then I thought maybe Hoobae was acting on JunO’s behalf and was asked (by JunO) to look out for Agent HNG whilst JunO went missing.  Especially when she showed up at his apartment after that accident.  But I sort of dismissed his being party to the plot and regime in the end.  It seemed superfluous to have him as well as the head in the same department working on the terror plot.  And JunO seemed to like working alone because he couldn’t trust anyone so it would be weird for him to be in cahoots with Hoobae IT guy as well.  So I deemed him innocent and was just caught up in the whole process like Agent HNG was.

The other reason why I think Security Detail Head is part of it is because how else will TaeIk have gotten the lapel pin for Security?  And he was the first person Sec Han rang after the bombing.  His first question, “How is the President?” And then the next scene was the Security Detail dashing out and eventually identifying PMJ at Ground Zero and hustling him to the Blue House to be sworn in.  Then there’s all the camera pans onto his facial expressions all the time which would really be unnecessary if he were just Security?? 

But the problem is that the head of the NIS has no control over the officers working on the field who are trying to find clues about the perpetrators. That's why you need people at different level as well. The head of the NIS knows Han Mo and HNG pretty well. He knew about her future wedding and her personality as well. She is someone stubborn who has no problem to do illegal things hence I am inclining to think that the NSI chief needed someone closer to that team in order watch how the investigations were moving on.

As for the Security Detail Head, he would have ensured that PMJ and KJW didn't meet. But okay, who knows... TaeIk could have received the security clearance from the NSI head... Don't forget that there is no record about him at all. So the NSI head is more the one who has access to such info and can erase records about the agents.

@triplem Honestly, I would like it very much if the VIP was someone young (and not Han) because it would give a different message. OYS is idolized so much (look at his comrades). We saw how young people decided to join ISIL.    

The computer guy is suspended from his job right now because they knew he worked with HNG. He said it when she woke up in his house. 

Her sunbae gave false confession because of his kidnapped son.

The head of their organization seems to be part of this Tailor Organization. So he seems to be one of the moles.

The funny thing about Tailor Organization is that each member doesn't know each other. Only the tailors know everyone. I even doubts OYS knows everything. 

Interesting theories everyone :)

Im just gonna say, if in the next episode, the security officers are going to tackle Agent Han to the ground, instead of looking up as she and her gun were pointing up,

1. Those security personnel are really incompentent

2. Because they are part of the tailor group/conspiracy

Good luck Agent Han in the next episode! 

ps. I didnt see the preview of the next episode

Also is there any way to watch the American version of the drama? 

I like this drama so much that I can't wait for Monday (and believe me I wouldn't normally wish for a Monday to come fast!:lol:)  I still think it would be interesting if Sec Cha has something to do with the bombing.  OYS and Sec Han, while one or both may be involved in some way, I don't think they play that big of part; it's a little too obvious.  I appreciated the understated acting by the actor who plays Sec Cha. In particular, I like that he doesn't yell and scream about things.  In fact, he has a rather soft voice.

I was/am curious about the American version, but I won't watch it until this one ends. 

Sorry, but I couldn't finish the American version. I tried to watch it so I can get the gist of the story, but it's a mistake that I first watch the Korean version, haha. Having a literal "designated" survivor does not sold me. I just like it that the constitution just stipulated the line of succession. Maybe in time, when I finished the Korean version, I'll rewatch the American version.

14 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I like this drama so much that I can't wait for Monday (and believe me I wouldn't normally wish for a Monday to come fast!:lol:)  I still think it would be interesting if Sec Cha has something to do with the bombing.  OYS and Sec Han, while one or both may be involved in some way, I don't think they play that big of part; it's a little too obvious.  I appreciated the understated acting by the actor who plays Sec Cha. In particular, I like that he doesn't yell and scream about things.  In fact, he has a rather soft voice.

I was/am curious about the American version, but I won't watch it until this one ends. 

Korean version is waayyy better-- for me. Episode 1 alone, I can tell the difference and just skipped into important moments. I managed to get to episode 4 though, until I told myself "enough, don't fool yourself and stop skipping", lols. I will rewatch it after this version ends, lols.

Archived