[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

0ly40

Actually, there are two designated survivors: PMJ and OYS. The latter was supposed to survive the bombing so that he would become a hero. Furthermore he was chosen by the VIP to be the next president for his own interests. Our Acting president PMJ was also supposed to survive... because they thought, he would become a puppetas Acting president. Remember that Han was the one who sent him to the FTA negotiations in order to come to an agreement with the US delegation. In my opinion, they expected PMJ to resign as Han knew that Yang would agree with the demands from the Americans.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/9/2019 at 10:21 PM, bebebisous33 said:

Actually, there are two designated survivors: PMJ and OYS. The latter was supposed to survive the bombing so that he would become a hero. Furthermore he was chosen by the VIP to be the next president for his own interests. Our Acting president PMJ was also supposed to survive... because they thought, he would become a puppetas Acting president. Remember that Han was the one who sent him to the FTA negotations in order to come to an agreement with the US delegation. In my opinion, they expected PMJ to resign as Han knew that Yang would agree with the demands from the Americans.

Actually I went back to watch that scene because most of us just overlook things in earlier episodes because we’re just trying to wrap our minds around who’s who.  And my interpretation of that scene where Yang fires PMJ changed as a result of what we know now of Sec Han.  

Yes Han sent PMJ in the negotiations to ensure it will fall flat.  He wanted to sour the US-Korea relations (if you do that, it makes it less likely for a North-South peace treaty).  When Yang and PMJ have that heated exchange about pollution and morals, and they seem to be at a stalemate, Han actually seems to make an attempt to throw his views into it to settle it by walking from the door towards the 2 of them.  Then he stops short as Yang seems to relent to PMJ’s pleas.  The camera actually pans in on Han’s face and he smiles as Yang says, “Sec Han, please contact the Korean delegation.  Tell them I will be honoring PMJ’s wishes...” (pregnant pause for effect and Han smiles) then he continues, “He will be held responsible for today’s incident...and dismissed from Office.”  Then camera pans on PMJ’s face and then Sec Han’s face both of which register shock/dismay.  I think Han expected Yang to bow to PMJ’s pleas but he didn’t?  So PMJ’s dismissal/leaving wasn’t planned by the terrorist cell.  So I doubt they wanted PMJ to survive?  They had to rejig their plans last minute because as you said, there would be 2 survivors now.  And they thought, “no problemo...PMJ is just going to maintain status quo.  He’s going to flounder and fail miserably.”  But he kept surprising them.  And became a genuine threat/contender.

On 8/8/2019 at 9:49 PM, bebebisous33 said:

Furthermore I noticed another huge difference between PMJ and OYS. While the latter oozes arrogance and trusts his abilities too much (he doesn't rely on anyone), the Acting president is the exact opposite. He doesn't trust himself much hence he prefers relying on facts and data. This is more than just humbleness, PMJ likes to get different opinions and have the full picture of the problem before making a decision. OYS rushed his decisions as he knew what he had to do... he actually just followed the order from the VIP which is quite ironic. You can see the contradiction: on the one hand, he wants to become the president so that he will no longer receive any order but in reality, he is still obeying orders. That's why the confrontation between the VIP and OYS is inevitable as once the latter is president, he will refuse to follow the VIP's orders.  

PMJ , being a scientist,  is a man who depends on evidence rather than feelings and emotions in coming to a conclusion  . That’s why it was a frustration initially for him(  & for Cha)   as PMJ was not used to the idea of rushing into decisions without sufficient investigation. A man like him was not born or meant for politics - in normal situations he would have been slaughtered at the campaigning stage simply because he is not the sort to play up and take advantage of people’s sentiments for the sake of gaining votes . But it’s this very quality of his that makes me root for him as the presidential candidate- this is the sort of leader this  country needs to help them reset . IRL , it might be difficult to find a leader like that who is as selfless & people centric as he is , but this is an alternate universe of “post apocalyptic “ SK and like Cha says - for once , let’s have the good man win. 

One of my favourite things in this show is the growth in that relationship between Cha & PMJ . Cocksure & politically savvy , Cha must have been stressed by PMJ’s decisions which felt almost   like political suicide in the early episodes. But Cha was quick to see the heart of PMJ. This is an uncorrupted man , who would rather do the right things  as opposed to just doing things right . It was not by personal choice of course that PMJ filled in for the hot seat , so his decisions have always been based on what was best for the people ; after all he had no political ambitions & had the mindset of a seat warmer . As the episodes progressed, we saw him growing in his role - and realising that doing things right & doing the right things need not be mutually exclusive. He came to appreciate Cha’s shrewdness & hence chose him over Jeong to be his Chief Secretary. He knew that if he had to implement things that would help the country recover , he will need to get people on board - yes winning their sentiments. This is something which King-maker Cha is best at . That’s why I was practically in tears seeing PMJ’s announcement & Cha’s expression at the end of the last eps . I can’t wait to see how they will win this campaign together. 

50 minutes ago, triplem said:

He came to appreciate Cha’s shrewdness & hence chose him over Jeong to be his Chief Secretary. He knew that if he had to implement things that would help the country recover , he will need to get people on board - yes winning their sentiments. This is something which King-maker Cha is best at . That’s why I was practically in tears seeing PMJ’s announcement & Cha’s expression at the end of the last eps . I can’t wait to see how they will win this campaign together. 

:wub:.  That’s why when Advisor Han realized he could no longer convince Cha to swing back to Oh, he decided he had to go and leaked the info about his investigation.  Cha was too dangerous leave be.  Without Cha, PMJ wouldn’t be a genuine contender for the Presidential race.  With Cha, he would be a formidable opponent.

@angelbeast90 gotta admit in that scene where you could cut the tension with a knife...I was ready to yell at SJ, “Don’t walk away!!! Turn around, turn around and ask him out for crying out loud woman??!!  Chicken and beer.  Chicken...and...beer!” 

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

@angelbeast90 gotta admit in that scene where you could cut the tension with a knife...I was ready to yell at SJ, “Don’t walk away!!! Turn around, turn around and ask him out for crying out loud woman??!!  Chicken and beer.  Chicken...and...beer!” 

I thought so too! But woman has made it more difficult for herself. Maybe Namwook needs to ask her out and she will have to decline kindly and maybe that will make her go after Mr.Cha.  I love the light elements in the show with the heavy stuff!

I can't wait to see on Monday if any of our predictions come true!! Maybe the VIP will be revealed at the end of Tuesday's episode.

They have finished shooting. Today is last day of shooting. Yesterday they were at Hapcheon

Here are some of the updates

Kim Gyu Ri (PMJ Wife) update:

Director update

Spoiler

Son Seok Koo's agency update

Yesterday the Blue House cast watch DS60

I loved this last two episodes, especially when PMY's aide started crying outside the hospital and the look on Sec Cha's face when PMY announced his candidacy.  I was watching during my lunch hour at work and teared up lol.  I had to quickly wipe my tears before anyone asked why I was crying:lol:.  At first, I detested Assemblywoman Yun, but now I respect her.  But from the previews, it looks as though she reverted to the Yun I detested.  I hope that I'm wrong.  She and Major Kang should back PMY.  Assemblywoman Yun might have a chance of winning, but I wouldn't think Major Kang would.  People who aren't watching this drama are really missing a gem of a show.

1 hour ago, CarolynH said:

I loved this last two episodes, especially when PMY's aide started crying outside the hospital and the look on Sec Cha's face when PMY announced his candidacy.  I was watching during my lunch hour at work and teared up lol.  I had to quickly wipe my tears before anyone asked why I was crying:lol:.  At first, I detested Assemblywoman Yun, but now I respect her.  But from the previews, it looks as though she reverted to the Yun I detested.  I hope that I'm wrong.  She and Major Kang should back PMY.  Assemblywoman Yun might have a chance of winning, but I wouldn't think Major Kang would.  People who aren't watching this drama are really missing a gem of a show.

I interpret the scene from the preview differently. To me, it looks like she is going to support PMJ, once she realizes that KSK will be on OYS's side.

I thought it was terribly cheeky of TVN to tease us like that .... 

translated caption with Papago :

Isn't it cheating ( wrong ) to show both love and war in one episode?
So when are you going to make peace? ( make up ) 

:mrgreen:

Jin-Hee NOOO...why you stand between our OTP?  And have her stand next to the competition?  We can’t crop the photo and send it to Dispatch then? Have you learnt nothing from the political shenanigans in BH?  

11 hours ago, triplem said:

I thought it was terribly cheeky of TVN to tease us like that .... 

translated caption with Papago :

Isn't it cheating ( wrong ) to show both love and war in one episode?
So when are you going to make peace? ( make up ) 

:mrgreen:

Maybe TVN needs to do a show named War and Love??? (spin off):lol:

---------------------------------------

For the heck of me I really don't understand this joke even though I laugh

https://twitter.com/CJnDrama/status/1160461828553506818?s=20

trans by : papago: Creators envy the content rich Mayor Kang Sang-gu.

If you want to see a full video of Kang Sang-gu, a rich content player,

Thanks @nrllee at least SSK understands our shipper heart . :D Seems that the Blue House team are pretty close IRL. 

One for the road for oppa LJH. 

Though I can’t root for your delusional character here , you’re still very handsome :lol: & great in this role . 

@angelbeast90 the handler of TvN social media pages has a wacky sense of humour !

By the way , what will happen now that PMJ is running ? So he has to quit the acting president seat first right ? 

Is that the kidnapped boy? Are they trying to appease us by showing that he is okay? Is his character Hanmo's child?

--------------------------------

I searched some pdf's and it really has to be done in 60 days. spoilered coz long link

So currently they can only run for one term according to this:

South Korea’s leader proposed changing the constitution to allow presidents to serve up to eight years over two terms, instead of the current limit of one five-year term, a shift that advocates say would provide more stability in Seoul’s policies toward North Korea.

credit

----------------------

So therefore I think Park Dae can't be sitting in the seat while running it seems. So will OYS be Acting President again or will power be controlled by council of ministers??

so i am doing a quick rewatch....things make more sense now in context.

i have a question about OYS. does someone have record of all that he has survived? the ship battle (btw who was this battle between? when? way too young for the cold war...) and then the blowing up of the national assembly. what is the third? (or first technically if it is chronologically.) also, what is he so mad about? i think i asked this question before but is oys just pissed they weren't sent to war? were they stranded without resources? lmao i will try and focus more in this rewatch cos..

68300812_503802613524602_579800015932122

I'm just coming in to say I love this scene from Secretary Cha. The puppy is so touched (and overwhelmed with emotions) when Park Mu Jin announced he will run for presidential selection. LOLLLL. So much love. Bromance rocks.

Spoiler

Now let's hope he's happy enough to ask her Jung Soo Jung (crap, I forgot her name) out the 3rd time...

Archived