Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] Designated Survivor : 60 Days, 60일, 지정생존자

So I think by now , we’ve all come to a conclusion that all those involved directly & indirectly with the bombing do not know who the others are & their connection to the mastermind VIP is through the tailor . And I don’t think any of the stakeholders have actually met the VIP

so checking my Twitter feed - OYS didn’t know PMJ was going to be shot . He confronts the tailor about it & was visibly mad . So I don’t think he’s the VIP

Spoiler

He was appointed the acting president 

Spoiler

Thankfully PMJ is alright. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Waiting for Netflix to upload the episode.

the preview has got me all excited

PMJ is still not out of the woods yet . But what I’m very curious about is the exchange of words between Chief Han & Sec Cha . And Cha was talking to someone secretly in the library . Both previews have slightly different scenes 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

So in this scene upon OYS appointment to fill in for PMJ , the first thing they had to discuss was whether they should suspend the stock exchange ( share market) and the other financial markets , as there’s bound to institutional & private investors getting rid of equity & possibly crashing the market etc given the latest development. 

his reply using Papago translations 

Spoiler

I'll tell you my decision!
I'm against it. You have to believe in the power of the market 
If there are more people to sell, it will be a great opportunity for the living! The market will recover soon after a self-purification process! 
That's funny! That's right!
I'm trying to calm this anxiety!
Economy is psychological warfare!

If we close tomorrow, it will be a sign that the nation's economic leaders are shocked and embarrassed by the current situation! Is that what you want?
I'll open tomorrow at nine and close at three-thirty.
Just like usual!
It will signal to our citizens and overseas investors that the Korean economy is healthy. 

—/-

I think OYS gives orders to set up a military command centre in the Blue House. Hmm sneaky . He’s taking this opportunity to control the investigations 

Spoiler

Ah! Do you know where the shooter is?
The suspect must have had a gun?
Tell them to work with the Chilgong 7th Special Forces!
I'll set up the command center at Cheong Wa Dae.
Sir...There's been a terrorist attack!
There was an assassination attempt! 
Not just us, but... Given the fear and anxiety felt by the people, it is a national disaster!

The control tower is Cheong Wa Dae!
I'll take the lead!
What next?

Edited by triplem
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6

ok so i'm about to watch ep 11. 

8 minutes in it's already crazy. this week is gonna be a ride!

6 hours ago, triplem said:

JJH heard you guys complaining about his dodgy filters..so he made them black and white :D 

I like that they seem to enjoy each other. too cute!!!!

like @nrllee said, he was a design major and a photographer. can't believe this!!!! hahahha

I second the PMJ as not being special per se but unpredictable. I think that unpredictability is a reflection of new progressive leaders today who happen to be everyday people. They are met with friction constantly, but PMJ and his wife are truly about the people. It's interesting to see what types of people they are since they have both, essentially, devoted their life to serving the public one way or another. There's stability even within the instability of imperialism. PMJ looks at life as a scientist and within that it's like what affects people on earth. It's so interesting to see him and the people around him. He's a threat because he's not bloodthirsty but instead wants to do what leaders are supposed to--equalize and help. This is precisely WHY so many progressive leaders are ousted or killed.

Also, one of the biggest Korean revolutionaries, Kim Gu, dedicated his life to reunification. There are rumors around that assasination and just what he did with the US Counter Intelligence but one thing is for certain: that was not a popular opinion. Elimination of a person as a voice means others can take over. RIP President Yang!

EDIT: I'm halfway through ep 11. As much as I know about history and political/social justice theory I am very bad with things like dealing with the market, stocks, taxes etc. Can someone explain to me/make a case for/against what OYS proposed? What would be the conservative take and what would be the more progressive one? All I heard was the snoopy sounds lmao I do not understand financing at all :( 

Edit #2: 

I thiiiiink I understand.....favoring the market and corporations by buying up stock. A loss for the national economy and that affects the people. The competitive markets generate capital so it is a capitalist/imperialist scheme I guess I just don't understand the ins/outs of what these markets mean. The term "free market" etc has me wanting to pass out

o-<-< lmao i wish i was mmore politically intelligent

edit #3: waiting until tomorrow.... god darnit

• Like 10
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, triplem said:

So I think by now , we’ve all come to a conclusion that all those involved directly & indirectly with the bombing do not know who the others are & their connection to the mastermind VIP is through the tailor . And I don’t think any of the stakeholders have actually met the VIP

Yeah...could be some faceless guy after all. 

Spoiler

They introduced some old dude last night... looks like a conglomerate chaebol guy who has the means to bankroll operations BUT he is not the VIP.  He was there to profit from the stock market crash (presumably after the bombing and also after the assassination attempt).  And he had a son who was supposed to “take over” as group head??  I wasn’t sure if the subs were wrong here...head of what?  The old Dude’s empire?  Or VIP’s place?

I still think VIP is Advisor Han.  :lol:

I am now not sure if the Head of Security Detail is good or bad.  In this ep, he seems “good”.

Still loving the tension between Cha and SJ.  He grabbed her hand on the stage in the commotion and asked, “GwenChaNa?”  Aww... :wub:  Then her accusations which obviously got him so mad...”You of all people, should have known that I am on PMJ’s side and am doing all this for his benefit.”  I feel like she will need to make a call soon as to whether to trust her gut instincts or not (that he is good).  She can’t do this investigation on her own.  She needs Cha’s intelligence and savvy and “power” to get anything done.  

Oh has a Dictatorial leadership style (and more Right wing).  Crucial in crisis type situations.  Steadied the sinking ship by showing decisiveness in the line of fire.  No wonder the people warmed to him and his approval rating sky rocketed.  Happy to let the markets free fall and do what it will with little/no government intervention.  He seems to already be relishing his new position of power.  Sitting on the Presidential armchair.  Waltzing in and taking charge from the Press Secretary at the Press Conference.  The Ring of Power has the ability to corrupt very quickly.  Still, I liked that he showed displeasure at the attempted assassination of PMJ.  PMJ had earnt his respect as a fellow “soldier” in the political battlefield.  Oh didn’t like how he was knifed in the back.  He wanted a “fair” fight.  And for some reason I get the feeling he didn’t like how PMJ was taken out because it seemed to point at the VIP’s lack of confidence in his (Oh) ability to outshine him (PMJ) on the political stage.  Oh was so confident that PMJ would fail and he would succeed that he saw the assassination attempt (behind his back) as an affront to his potential as a leader. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh Yeon Seok is son of a richard simmons! Sorry I have to swear it but he is doing whatever he please as an acting president. Eliminating evidence and let the stock market plummeted so that one of his comrade's son can buy and control the economy. Sorry to those still thinks he is a double agent or what not, all I can see is a man greedy for power. i don't see any difference he made that benefited the citizens any  better thatn the previous government which he said corrupted. 

My take, the VIP is the tailor himself.... 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Insightful 1

The tension between these two is something else !  I hope TVN does not troll me. :lol: I’m not hoping for a kiss or skinship but at least  pub date needs to happen . 

• Like 6
  • Love 4

@liltash85 I am not entirely convinced OYS knows about the old dude (conglomerate).  Everyone kinda works in the dark (in silo) and no-one really knows the full picture except for the VIP.  That’s my take anyway.

EDIT - I think Advisor Han wasn’t expecting OYS to take up the Acting President role whilst PMJ was out of action.  Remember how he said Finance Minister was supposed to take over?  And then his shock (displeasure??) when they find out that he was the other guy hit by the stray bullet?  OYS taking up Acting President spot now was premature.  It was never part of the original plan.  I think that’s why I find he (Han) seems to be pensive in most scenes since he was asked back into the Blue House.  He’s weighing the options and calculating his next move and making things up as he goes along because of PMJ’s unpredictability and also sudden turn of events which haven’t gone according to plan.

• Like 10

Why do I feel like OYS is going to butt heads with the VIP mastermind. He did not like being told don't cross the line!

He has ruffled everyone's feathers. His navy metaphor of being a ship captain seems to point at that. If he irritates the VIP will he come out of hiding.

I'm not in anyway an OYS supporter though ( don't know why I have to say this though):P

I wanna write more but will do it later after collecting my thoughts.:)

• Like 11

31 minutes ago, angelbeast90 said:

Why do I feel like OYS is going to butt heads with the VIP mastermind. He did not like being told don't cross the line!

I am with you.  I feel like he’s just as unpredictable as PMJ is.  And now that he’s got hold of the reins prematurely, he may yet change his tune about not wanting the power and having absolute control.  He seems to really LIKE being in the power seat.  :o  The VIP may have created a Monster they no longer have control over.

• Like 11

@disembody I knew a bit on insider trading and market etc - basically, if you are a leader, from any point of view(liberal/conservative) there is no way you could NOT NOT close the market. Kang is economically conservative while Yun is liberal on that score -- thousands of traders and banks will be cursing at you, not counting ordinary ppl that trade. There are circumstances where traders are compelled to trade (think of foreign currencies) due to govt limit them to hold a certain no of forex (they hold too much forex and must get rid of them by end of day) so they will be making a huge losses. He is doing this purely for the financial backer in the Tailor group to profit from it.

Oh looks popular on the front but ppl who knew even a tiny bit about politics and/ot economics will call it a career suicide

• Like 11

Also I 'm starting to notice that Reporternim  Woo Sin-Young is showing a lot of empathy towards Kim Namwook. Wish she is bold enough to ask him out?

I loved the convo between Chief of Civil affairs Ahn and Seoul Mayor who is honking horns and balking at the idea of a rookie talking all the reins out of their hands!

OYS is taking the Commander-in-Chief thing literally and establish a chain of command where he is at the top. Madam Yun could not even say anything to stop him even though she made a promise to PMJ.

Madam Yun complimenting Park dae was the highlight of the episode for me. She wants him for durability not for his idealistic views.

Secretary Min pointing out to Sujeong that this is a rerun of Park Dae's first day as Acting President should have raised a red flag in their minds. Maybe Ch.Sec Cha thinks that OYS is too smooth for a political rookie and suspect that he has some backing . It's time for them to trust Agent Han Nagyeong. Maybe she will be given an office to operate inside the Blue House! After Park Dae recovers.

But will Park Dae recover in 9 to 10 days time? By that time it will be a month for the Presidential Election! Will OYS be left at the Office for the duration of a month. Will Park Dae run his campaign. Will OYS popularity dip when he starts to deviate from the VIP mastermind's plans.

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, sn2111a said:

actually i really liked that the head of security finally went to investigate things secretly and independently for Pres Park. And their propositions to become allies was thru violent means LOL

Don't tell me about it!!!:lol: Maybe I enjoyed it a bit too much that big man being pushed to the door, willingly!! Okay I will stop!!!:lol:

---------------------------

I noticed something in the last episode. This has always been at the back of my mind. OYS stared at the Presidential emblem and the chair and then sat on it quite comfortably. Whereas Park Dae keeps staring at the chair and seems uncomfortable with the chair and choose not to sit in it. I'm ready for the day he will accept the chair! ~~~~~~~~~Park MyungJae for President!!!! Long Live the President!

• Like 6
  • Love 2

A good presidential candidate must have a story, charisma and luck which the journalist saw in OYS. However, OYS doesn't have luck because we know for sure that OYS was never targeted in the bombing and in the assassination attempt.  Furthermore I am quite sure that his survival in the battle has been glorified. Then the market recovered because it had been manipulated. The VIP ensured that the rich members of his organisation would buy shares so that they would contribute to stabilize the market. In reality, only the rich ones benefited from the crisis, while the average citizens lost a lot. But since on the paper, the market didn't plummet, it looks like the economy is not touched. OYS could react quickly because he had received orders, while PMJ was taken by surprise. We can see a huge contrast between OYS and PMJ. The latter was able to win the support of the administration, while OYS doesn't care about it. Besides, CYJ, as kingmaker, will never support OYS and this is important. CYJ had been courted by Yun and KSK, he rejected both. In the preview, we see Han asking CYJ if he doesn't perceive OYS as the winner. This seems to indicate that Han wants CYJ to support OYS, but CYJ will never agree to it. It is not just about winning, CYJ has also ideals which OYS doesn't represent. Finally, OYS will never ask CYJ to become his political advisor as he is not someone who relies on others. Don't forget that he considers himself as the captain hence he views himself as superior. He doesn't listen to people, he has his own ideas.  

Striking is that I see some conflict between OYS and the VIP coming due to the tailor's words: "the VIP is not fond of people crossing the line".So far, the VIP is the real leader of the group but OYS sees himself as the captain. At some point, OYS might question the VIP's leadership: Who is the true leader of the organization? It looks like the VIP is the brain and OYS is the face. I do think that OYS could "cross the line" as he has the impression that he has the support of the citizens. But like the reporter Woo said, the ratings are not reflecting how people will vote 40 days later. Nothing is sure. 

There is one thing that bothered in the last episode: what happened to HM's kid? Was he rescued or not?

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 3

3 hours ago, sn2111a said:

Idk u guys... OUR SECRETARY SHIP T.T 

its so touching that Cha immediately came to Sujeong after the gunshots... HE LOVES HER ALR :wub:

Theyre starting to have expectations of each other but... no clear understanding until they talk it out. And Sujeong is totally misunderstanding about the call Cha did, im totally sure that he's not the bad guy.

Kim Nam Wook and his infatuation though and Sec Min catching his feelings lol, too obvious

i think most of us agree Cha is not the bad guy here. Though the drama try to make him look like one now but i still not buying it. 

on the VIP, I have a feeling it is someone unpredictable. i want to think it's Han but it will be obvious if the VIP is Han (imo). 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Striking is that I see some conflict between OYS and the VIP coming due to the tailor's words: "the VIP is not fond of people crossing the line".So far, the VIP is the real leader of the group but OYS sees himself as the captain. At some point, OYS might question the VIP's leadership: Who is the true leader of the organization? It looks like the VIP is the brain and OYS is the face. I do think that OYS could "cross the line" as he has the impression that he has the support of the citizens. But like the reporter Woo said, the ratings are not reflecting how people will vote 40 days later. Nothing is sure. 

There is one thing that bothered in the last episode: what happened to HM's kid? Was he rescued or not?

That is exactly why OYS was as @triplem mentioned visibly angry when he went to confront the tailor about the assassination attempt on PMJ. OYS wasn't informed of what was to take place at the investiture and it could be the same with the bombing, he was only told at the last minute before the bomb went off. 

Its safe to assume now that everyone within the group do not each other and have not met the VIP. I think only the tailor knows his identity. The reason for this would be if their plan didn't work out they can easily disband and regroup later and that makes it harder to track them down. 

I'm beginning to think that the VIP is head of the 'group' which the tailor mentioned. They could be members made up of conglomerates who definitely benefited when the market crash and rebound. I don't think Han is the VIP but i'm not denying his involvement in it. 

Han said the next line to take over PMJ is Minister of Finance but he was also shot in the incident. Do you think that was a coincidence? I heard they say there was two shots. Meaning they didn't take into account the shot by Agent Han. It was not surprise that OYS ordered the sniper to be killed, that should cover his track but i'm wondering if they would just stop there. Would OYS be ordering an investigation into the dead sniper, his family, his recent contacts et al? 

@nrllee about Han being pensive and all that, i'm thinking as the case with OYS, Han too did not know about the assassination attempt and what the VIP is planning. I remember a couple of episodes back in one scene after a drinking session with PMJ, Han broke down. When i think about it now it could probably mean that Han is part of the group but did not know what was being planned (the NA bombing). 

Yes, it seems the issue of HM;s son was not dealt with in ep11, i hope we get to know something about it in ep12. Looks like agent Han is out. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@liltash85 @nrllee Strangely after this episode, I have the impression that Han is the VIP. Why?

1. In the episode 10 we were shown that Han belongs to the conspiracy due to his agenda. He had noted the name of the file and the time therefore he discovered what PMJ was after. But he remained quiet. So he knew that the Acting president had heard about OYS and the existence of the mole. However, we never saw Han at the tailor shop, while little by little we saw the different clients of the tailor: OYS, the agent TaeIk, the NSI chief etc.
  2. Furthermore, the tailor mentioned on the phone to OYS that the VIP had discovered that PMJ was onto them. So the only person shown knowing that PMJ was aware of the existence of the mole and the infiltration was just Han.
  3. What caught my attention in this episode is the scene between Han and the protocol administrator Park SK. Han was totally gentle and kind towards PSK. Han showed concern and care for him. PSK should be perceived as a representative of youth. And here, I see some parallels between the tailor and Han. The tailor is also a young man so maybe Han acted the same way with him. The tailor is an absolute supporter of the VIP. Han has charisma and knowledge. He can judge people quite pretty well... like for example the NSI chief or the the general LMG. He knew that the general would never agree with a change of regime. However, I sense that his huge flaw is his arrogance thinking that he is always right with his judgement. He never thought that he could be mistaken about PMJ.
  4. His firm conviction that PMJ is not a good president candidate. He denied it twice and we saw in the preview that Han talks to CYJ about OYS. It clearly reveals that Han is convinced that OYS is a good candidate and he wants to persuade CYJ to abandon PMJ and choose OYS. The real purpose of the bombing was to turn OYS into a good presidential candidate and to ensure his election.
  5. In the episode 1, Yang and Han talked about history and change. Yang wanted to mark a huge change, in other words change history. And this conversation is really telling. Since Han and Yang were close, we can assume that Han had a similar idea but he wanted to change it differently. 

Finally, we shouldn't judge Han's reaction, when he heard that the other minister had been shot. The moles are all acting as if they were supporting PMJ. Notice the reaction of the NSI chief, when he heard that OYS gave the order to kill the sniper. He acted surprised and disapproving... yet I am sure that he was agreeing with the decision as he knew that they needed to cover up their tracks.

@imgreatgal I have to disagree with you. OYS must have known about the bombing because he needed to know where the shelter was. Furthermore, he needed an alibi hence he had to ask for his comrades' help. He knew what was coming and saw it as a necessary evil. OYS was upset in the last episode because OYS had not been informed. By not being informed, OYS felt that he was treated like a tool. He wasn't shocked and upset because PMJ had been hurt. In my opinion, this episode illustrates the future struggle between the VIP and OYS. OYS considers himself superior, as the captain, but he was warned by the tailor that he was just a pawn and tool. He is ordered "not to cross the line", to remember that he is under the leadership of the VIP.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 4