[Drama 2019] Live or Die aka What’s the Problem, Poong Sang?, 왜그래 풍상씨

0ly40

21 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

I don't condone infidelity. The way the scene was acted out (https://youtu.be/x4TLLGQmI0k), made me think that this was not what they wanted to happen, they both look conflicted but they made their choice. The emotional turmoil they are going through can be seen on their faces. The thing is heartbreak is bound to occur to everyone involved in this Jidam-JS-Wife-daughter saga. Especially his wife-daughter.

She seems to be a just and sympathetic person, someone you'd want for a friend. She shows that she feels bad about her romantic feelings, but the friend in me can't help but see this train lead to a crash. Or worst, nowhere. So for now, I'm interested in how this will make of her relationship with Hwasang and the family. Poongsang will be heartbroken.

2 hours ago, jongski said:

Done with episode 2. The shouting still annoys me. It needs to be toned down, it's grating on the nerves other than that. I enjoyed the episode.  I do understand Poongsang's wife when she said she wants  Jinsang and Hwasung  to move out of the house.  They have to feed them shelter them and on top of that both siblings doesn't even contribute anything except debts which Poongsang is the one always paying the loans.  He needs to remember he has a family. A wife and a daughter. I know how much he loves the siblings but  He's married  you need to spend money and time with them and not with the siblings.  They're all cramp in that tiny house. They not even given Poongsan his wife and daughter the  time and space. The daughter feels this hence she's rebelling.

Poongsang is too kind to a fault. I feel bad for him. It's not because of him that life for them turned out that way. He's the eldest, he's taking in the responsibility for his siblings.  I would understand  being protective and especially to Wesang,  but he has family. The wife  to put up with all the chaos for 18 years and then the daughter to  feel like he wasn't much of a father.  He needs to be firm. Let the siblings  move out, support the wife. They were too dependent on him.

I hear you, this is what I mentally prepared for. Still, I'm not used to all the yelling. And all the hitting and slapping that happens in kdramas.. to grown people. I agree. We say "Poor Poongsang", but really, it's "Poor Poongsang's wife and daughter". Even when he's firm with his siblings, his soft heart comes over him. What his wife says is true about Jinsang and Hwasang, but I got a kick out of her father. At first I thought, what kind of a person would Poongsang not get along with? I guess more fun and chaos coming to the home. :lol:

I'm thinking the real mother is the one who was stealing money. But I feel like  the father has hatred for her, maybe she got pregnant by another man hence saying he's not his son. So yeah, could be a different father. Remember he didn't want for him to play basebal/l practice - no money or something like that. Wisang has hatred for the father he new because he was always hitting him, and the mother- said this on ep 1.  The way Wisan was treated. And this is also comes to why Poongsang is protective of Wisang. 

The way Wisang spoke about their mother at the wake, it sounded like she was a loving mother abused by their father, so I initially thought maybe he had a different mother that ended up caring for the kids. But now, it seems that mother could very well be the same mother that returned to steal from Poongsang, hence his reluctance when maknae longs to see her. We'll have to see what the cast meant when they said he has a different mother. Now that the drama is set up with Poongsang at the center of every character, I look forward to seeing more interactions between each sibling. This might give us a clearer understanding of their parents.

Yeah, I like their scenes and when he  pat her head to his shoulder.. She's  the daughter of rich parents?

It was sweet. A good breather from all the headache of the household. I expected her character to be a bit aloof and bring dimension to Wisang (we know he's trying to leave his gang life behind), but I didn't know she would be friends with Junsang. I like this!

Btw, I had a cute image of teenage Hwa Sang taking care of her baby brother. She was the first and only one to comfort and caress him when slapped by Poongsang, so I look forward to learning more about how her inferiority complex came to be. Still, I don't know why I laughed at the image in my head. :tounge_xd:

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finish this week episodes and I love it. Great story, real people, real problems,crazy situations  sad moments and fun at the same time, just love it. This is what I need it. I was not able to connect to any of the current week dramas at the moment, I am more than happy I found something I like. 

On 1/18/2019 at 9:18 AM, roli said:

I just finish this week episodes and I love it. Great story, real people, real problems,crazy situations  sad moments and fun at the same time, just love it. This is what I need it. I was not able to connect to any of the current week dramas at the moment, I am more than happy I found something I like. 

I really love the drama too, despite its low popularity with the international audience, or perhaps not on the radar yet. The last episode reached 10.2% in ratings! *confetti* Deservingly so because it really pulled at my heartstrings.

I'm very interested in Hwa Sang's past and what she endured. She wasn't always vile; she's nurturing to Wi Sang and sad/pained/vulnerable in the presence of her ex-husband. Something tells me she suffered an accident, either leading up to or as a result of her divorce. Was it mentioned how long ago she was divorced?

I was very disappointed in Poong Sang for what he did to save Jin Sang. But by the end of this week's episodes, he had me in tears. Boon Shil too. She is a saint for returning and telling him he did nothing wrong [to his siblings]. That scene was so moving, the best. ㅠㅠ Thankfully he has Wi Sang to stand up for him now, but still, violence isn't the way. :sweatingbullets: There wasn't a lot of Jin Sang in the second half though.

Thankfully, Jung Sang's affair came out sooner than later. I did not want this secret to drag out her story, although I know she will be dealing with the relationship the rest of the drama. Her dialogue with Poong Sang was tragic and I really hope they don't keep her ex-fiance in the picture just to keep pestering her. She deserves better.

Wi Sang sure does move fast. He's more upfront and bolder than I thought (the complete opposite of what I'm used to seeing from Yobi). Maknae is right, he's perfect. But he has people after him. I wonder why he didn't notice the gang when they were being so obvious? >0< Recent news also says that another woman [from his past] will enter the picture in the coming episodes.

By the way, if ratings hit 13%, the cast will dress up as the 5 Doksuri Siblings. They're classic sciency ninja characters,  haha.ㅜㅜ It's quite funny and cute. This was proposed by their geeky maknae during promos. ;)

BTV's "What's Wrong Poong Sang?" Cast Interview :lol:

The dialog/statements are great because of the reality of the words.  

Just like in real life, sometimes you want to bong them on the head. Turn around, you want to hug them.  Exactly, as his wife did.  She really is a saint. 

As to PS, he needs to stop the passive/aggressive behavior.  That's one of the reasons no one take his words seriously.  :mellow:

Congrats LoD for hitting 10% by ep 4. I'm getting drawn into this family drama. This show screams realism. And i find their actions realistic to some extent that at times it is disheartening to see huhu.

The characters are flawed, the whole family is a mess, the young siblings are all over the place and big bro is so adamant in babying them that he neglects his own family but mostly he neglects his own self. 

gL1m7Y.gif

The first ost is out! And i like it. It evokes nostalgia everytime i hear it in the drama~

Noel - Dream lyrics

I dreamed of flashy cities

And came this far

But this place is cold and dangerous

Wandering here and there

I came to a pitiful doorstop

As I swallowed my hot tears

I came such a long way

To find my dreams here

I came on this torturous and dangerous path

But no one tells me

Which place is the forest

Or which place is a swamp

People are going to their hometown

But I’m here alone

Wandering in between buildings

I came to a pitiful alleyway

As I swallowed my hot tears

Do those stars know how I feel?

Do they know my dreams?

When I feel down, I sing a sad song

When I get sad, I want to close my eyes

And listen to the scent of my hometown

Do those stars know how I feel?

Do they know my dreams?

When I feel down, I sing a sad song

But no one tells me

Which place is the forest

Or which place is a swamp

When I get sad, I want to close my eyes

Just finished watching the current episodes with sub,  I gotta say this is my current favorite. Terrific acting by Yoo Joong Sang.. as always.  Jeon Hye Bin, Lee Si Young and the rest. 

When an actor can bring out emotions from a viewer then you know you're getting good acting.  Poongsan got me teary eyed with the last scenes with the wife. To endure everything, it was hard for him.  His wife, despite feeling suffocated with all the siblings in the end she was still the one who's there for him.

As for the daughter, I get why she's feeling like that. The priority was  always the siblings and then she heard the conversation  of her not being wanted. Maybe Poongsang said that in the heat of the conversation back in the days.

For Jungsan.... now I know she was supposed to be married to Dr. kang but he left and  Dr. Jiham was the one who held and comforted her.  I like her with Dr. Kang anyway.. but we'll see.  I can't gauge  for now.  But great scene with Poongsang.  Nice too see good acting from older actors.

And Hwa Sang.. her scenes were revelation. Her pas hides a painful vulnerable side to her. So we know she suffered an accident before and still hasn't done any surgery. That the guy she was with  got injured trying to save her. She said in the conversation  like 'why did you run after me'. He said his legs only hurt when it's cold.  The guy she stayed with and slept, the one that has bad leg, was that boyfriend or ex husband? He look younger than her. Maybe Poongsang and him were not  on good terms?

16 hours ago, songielove said:

I'm very interested in Hwa Sang's past and what she endured. She wasn't always vile; she's nurturing to Wi Sang and sad/pained/vulnerable in the presence of her ex-husband. Something tells me she suffered an accident, either leading up to or as a result of her divorce. Was it mentioned how long ago she was divorced? 

I don't quite recall her being mentioned as divorced. I didn't even realize it's ex husband

For Wisang.. smooth talker! hehe. Young Pil, character is 35?  She actually looks younger than the actual age. So he's infatuated with her.

The preview for next weeks episode..uh oh.. Hwasang overheard that Poongsang wanted  to have small clinic for Junsang.. and wow  we know why she's feeling left out not favored sister.  But doesn't Poongsang know anything about her not getting the surgery?  I bet ya, he doesn't know.

The scene with the mom though.. I think the Poongsangs mother and  his wife's father.. trying to leech  money off them. 

14 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Congrats LoD for hitting 10% by ep 4. I'm getting drawn into this family drama. This show screams realism. And i find their actions realistic to some extent that at times it is disheartening to see huhu.

The characters are flawed, the whole family is a mess, the young siblings are all over the place and big bro is so adamant in babying them that he neglects his own family but mostly he neglects his own self. 

Yep. The scenes still has a lot of shouting but gonna mellow down I hope.  Congrats to this drama. It's a current favorite.

I like this. This is my current favorite.

The actors are FANTASTIC. I love them all.

Lee Si-Young is my girl crush, and I will watch anything she is in. (But "Risky Romance" was a dud.) She is great in this. Hurray, Si-Young!

This seems like one of those old-fashioned family melodramas they used to churn out 20 years ago. Crying and slapping at least once per episode. Even the setting (on the outskirts of Seoul?) feels so old. All the "da-bangs" (cafes) and 7080 bars and "colatecs" feel like relics. The only way we can tell this takes place in the present day are the cell phones.

A few complaints:

1. The official English title seems to be "LiveR or Die." (not "Live or Die") - both titles are so effing terrible, I can't get over it.

(Poong-Sang obviously has a liver disease and will need a donation from one of his ne'er-do-well siblings. Cue tears.)

Liver or Die ---> OMG, I can't express just how awful that is. Who will ever watch something called that? This may be the reason why the international audience viewership is low. Seriously, that's so bad.

Live or Die ---> It's somewhat less terrible but it really is too generic and the show could be about anything. It has nothing to do with what this show is about.

2. Just like the old-fashioned K-dramas of yore, Poong-Sang goes through practically Jobian struggles, where there is a crisis every single day, and he can't have one moment of peace. It makes you wonder - how can he even live? How much trouble can his siblings cause? They've only aired 12 episodes out of 40, and they are such a mess that it's getting kind of tiresome already.

Despite this, I am thoroughly entertained.

Fun stuff:

This author is known for punny names:

Poong-Sang = hardship, suffering, troubles (sounds pretty accurate)

Jin-Sang = a mess (this is actually not the dictionary definition of "Jin-Sang" but that is the recent, common usage of this word)

Hwa-Sang = fool, (informal) idiot, (offensive) moron / burn, scald

Jeong-Sang = normal / peak of a mountain

Wae-Sang = credit (as in debt)

NO Yang-Shim (their mother) = NO conscience

Kang Yeol-Han (the doctor who ditched Jeong-Sang at the altar) = powerful / passionate

Jin Ji-Ham (married doctor) = serious, earnest, sober

I'm sure there are more, but these are the main ones.

Can't wait until next week! This show is the first one I fire up whenever I get some time to watch dramas.

(I watched 13-14 yesterday, but haven't had time to see 15-16 yet.)

Just wanted to comment on how Jeong-Sang's wedding gave me whiplash. When did she agree to marry Yeol-Han?

I remember him announcing to the hospital staff that they are getting married to shut down the nasty gossip about her. But I don't remember her actually saying, "Yes, I no longer hate your guts and I will marry you." She said yes 5 years ago, so that still counts? I'm very confused. Did I miss an episode?

It's a twist that Yeol-Han's mother is not wealthy. We assumed it was a wealthy mom who was objecting to the marriage, but it turns out she is poor and just wants her son to marry rich. Hmmm.

It's never a good idea to treat your child as your meal ticket. And if she broke up this marriage 5 years ago but they're going at it again, she needs to accept that she will never stop them. (Also, doesn't her son make enough money that she can finally quit her back-breaking work at her restaurant?)

On the other hand, I can't totally blame her for not wanting her son to marry into this family of Daily Disasters.

Also, as much as I enjoy the show, it is getting tiresome to see how every day is a hot mess for them. Jin-Sang and Hwa-Sang would do everyone a giant favor if they simply did nothing and kept their mouths shut.

I sympathize with them that their lives have gone awry but at some point, these human leeches need to grow up.

I mean, I can see how Hwa-Sang's self-esteem is in the toilet when she is constantly treated as the black sheep of the family. But oh, girl, if a man beats you like that, you need to get out now.

Their mother is truly the worst.

--

So, more "fun" names I discovered (not so fun, mostly sad):

(전달자) Jeon Dal-Ja - this is the supermarket lady. Jeon-dal-ja means "messenger" - because she is the neighborhood gossip (okay, this one is funny)

(유흥만) Yoo Heung-Man - Hwa-Sang's ex-husand. Yoo-heung-man means "only pleasure, merrymaking, amusement, pastime"

Spoiler

(간분실) Gan Boon-Shil - Poong-Sang's wife - Gan means "liver" and boon-shil means "lose"

This one is a kicker. So she loses her liver? So she is Poong-Sang's liver donor?

Wow, this is bumming me out.

Man I'm not a violent person but watching the "mum" lie about the settlement money had cursing at the tv. Man I wanted to beat some sense into her. Wae Sang pissed me off too. I thought he seemed to understand his brother more than some of the others but he was so quick to believe the cow. Poong Sang needs to let it all out, these ungrateful mthfs needs to see how much he has had to put up with. He was a kid, he's there brother, he didn't make them, he was not obligated to do jackshit for them. Grow a backbone and reality check the basstards Poong Sang. 

Dang @chickfactor why did I look. That really is a total bummer.  Well I guess it's ok as long as it's not a full organ donation from and accident or something. Or weirdly romantic in the there were literally made for each other, fated to be so she gives him half of hers. Then take their kid and leave making sure noone knows their address. Clutching hard at them straws :sweatingbullets:

So I started watching this drama and straight away I was hooked. I love this kind of drama and thriller dramas. Rom-coms aren't my cup of tea anymore. 

I totally hate the mother. I mean how much a richard simmons a woman can be. Stealing your own children money and then sell one of your child. 

everything is still mess I think they are going to be mess awhile. 

The new OST is soo good. Been waiting for it. Monday Kiz~~ ♡

I realize I take a deep breath after the ending credits of each episode. Especially this last one. Found myself :bawling: with Poong Sang, Hwa Sang, and Wi Sang.

Hwa Sang... ugh, no matter what, I never could despise her. I felt sorry and can understand why she felt unloved and could hold that above her older siblings. She is a reflection of real people and situations, with or without her scars (gee, her reveal was really sad). And now we fully see why she keeps insisting on returning to her abuser.

Jin Sang, on the other hand, he's crazy. This family is crazy. In just one scene, Jin Sang goes from chastising Wi Sang to pulling off that move at the end. My heart rate.. From this ending scene, though, it does show some consistency that he cares about respect and dignity of the family (he always says no one in the family is divorcing anyone). He can disrespect Poong Sang, but no one else. If only he could apply this passion elsewhere other than a career in instant money. I still don't see why he would put the blame on that other guy, as if he was forced or held at gunpoint to gamble. I'm curious if there's more to this backstory. What more does the divorcee see in him that hasn't been shown? I hope there's more development here.

I'm confused about Jung Sang. It looks like she's committed to the marriage if mother-in-law accepts them. But why did she marry him after all that happened? Is it for love, sanity, protection?

Wi Sang... our maknae. ㅠㅠ It was all so sweet and gone in a second. I'm so relieved he gave back the money. Something smells fishy and I'm debating whether the pregnancy is nonexistent, or exists but isn't his, or one of those and he's being set up by his past. It's a hard place to be in and with his upbringing, progress, and expectations, he's in no position to disclose it to the family. We won't be seeing our maknae happy for a long time, if ever. ㅜㅜ

Poong Sang's dream was hilarious! Compare that to him declaring his siblings would not hesitate to be his donor. Of course, knowing him, he isn't so sure either. @chickfactor That's a big tell-all. Before the drama got its English title, I suspected how this would go down, that eventually there would come a time when Poong Sang's siblings would come to his rescue. And that would be the ultimate lesson of this drama. Their names have been a figurative i.d. for their livelihoods.

Spoiler

What if Gan Boon Shil just represents the liver in the body? The organ that produces energy, the person that makes the household function (she oversees their meals, finances, and childrearing). If she leaves Poong Sang, we "lose the liver".

Poong Sang and Jin Sang isn't too far apart in age, are they? He knows a lot more about their mother. When exactly did she leave them? It's amazing and sad how they yearn for their mother so desperately that they don't look into why Poong Sang wants her away.

No matter the frustration, I can't help but feel for and care for these siblings. I want to see them all win in the end.

Wanted to remind everyone --> Hwa-Sang = (1) fool, idiot, moron, (2) burn, scald

So now she fits BOTH meanings of this word. OMG, this poor girl.

I really like this actress. I feel SO bad for her character. She's getting almost too tragic.

The kids are a mess but I MUST blame the parents, especially the mom. Poong-Sang obviously didn't do everything right, but he is an older brother raising his 4 siblings, so obviously some of them will be neglected.

Shows like this show people at their worst, but by the final episode, it typically ends with everyone hugging and crying and making up. But I don't know if this mom can be redeemed. She systematically ruined each of their chances at a better life, with only Jeong-Sang narrowly escaping this fate. And then she lies about it to manipulate them? Ugh, terrible.

Poong-Sang, you need to tell your siblings the truth about what a piece of trash their mother she is!

The writer of this show also wrote "Three Brothers" which I watched years ago. (It's on Viki if anyone is in the mood for a 70 episode drama.) She had the same trick of giving the characters "punny" names.

It was a long time ago so I don't remember much else, but I do remember that the mother of the family was a royal witch with a "b" but the series ended with everyone hugging and happy, and I remember thinking that she did not earn that love or forgiveness.

21 hours ago, tas82 said:

Dang @chickfactor why did I look. That really is a total bummer.  Well I guess it's ok as long as it's not a full organ donation from and accident or something. Or weirdly romantic in the there were literally made for each other, fated to be so she gives him half of hers. Then take their kid and leave making sure noone knows their address. Clutching hard at them straws :sweatingbullets:

I expect that she will be a living organ donor. If they kill her off, it will be too much grief, it would be ridiculous. (But who knows, with this show?) Apparently you can donate a part of your liver and it can regenerate. However, it is a very risky surgery and the recovery is long, so it's definitely not a walk in the park. (That is what Google told me, anyway.)

But the story is set up so that he will probably receive a donation and hopefully survive. It bums me out that it's from his wife and not one of this siblings. Hasn't she sacrificed enough?

BTW, the only clue this may happen is her name. So, I don't know. Maybe it's a red herring.

On 1/19/2019 at 5:12 AM, jongski said:

As for the daughter, I get why she's feeling like that. The priority was  always the siblings and then she heard the conversation  of her not being wanted. Maybe Poongsang said that in the heat of the conversation back in the days.

@jongski  I could relate to him saying he didn;t won;t the child and thats how he really felt he was already raising kids himself and knew how hard it would be to add another one even if that kid is his.. 

Archived