[Drama 2019] Live or Die aka What’s the Problem, Poong Sang?, 왜그래 풍상씨

0ly40

The only character i dont like at the moment is the daughter, shouldn't she feel sorry and grateful that her parents working hard to look after the family and not making any more problems for them? 

I just feel so sorry for Poong Sang and his wife. I wish a happy ending for them.

And what's with Jin Sang's friend always ripped his pant on the bum? Once is funny,  too many times not anymore.

Didn't know the names have too much meaning. Like !

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few more "fun" names:

Weh-Sang (youngest brother) = his name means "credit/debt," which is frequently mentioned, but the secondary meaning is also: "external wound" which fits because he has scars on his body

(간보구) Gan Bo-Goo = this is Poong-Sang's father-in-law. His name is a phrase for "getting a taste." I think this might be why he is always complaining about food. Socially, it can mean someone who is flaky and doesn't commit.

(계상기) Gye Sang-Gi = this is the sleaze who ditched Young-Pil at the altar. His name sounds like "calculator." I hope we never see him again!

(마초남) Ma Cho-Nam = This is the gang boss from Weh-Sang's former gang. His name sounds like "Macho Man."

Just had to comment after watching Episodes 17-18. While I find the characters frustrating, I do mostly enjoy this drama. But the drama took a major nosedive for me with the scene of the pregnant girl giggling about how she got pregnant because recounting how you assaulted a guy is just so hilarious. SMH. Hwa Sang, at least, mentioned that she could go to jail for that but still, the whole thing isn't being treated seriously, and I don't want to watch it. Say she lied and get rid of her ASAP but I find it disturbing the writers even went this route. 

Yeah, that was deeply disturbing to me too, @qynn  That is called "rape" and it's not any less abhorrent because it was a woman doing it to a man.

I'm still watching, but it looks like we are the only ones. :no_mouth:

I don't blame anyone for bailing because the rage factor is too high.

Let's see, in 17-18, their mom actually shoved Jin-Sang in front of a moving car to try and commit insurance fraud. In 19-20, she literally tried to sell off Hwa-Sang to a rich, old man. Wow, this woman is a monster who feeds on her children.

They need to get a restraining order against her.

I was very disappointed in Jeong-Sang when she told their sister-in-law (Boon-Shil) that she knew what she was signing up for when she married Poong-Sang and needs to just suck it up. I thought that if anyone appreciated Boon-Shil even a little, it would be her. That was low.

So in 19-20, they finally lose their home. I've grown so numb to the misfortunes and disasters of this family that this isn't even shocking. Just another horrible day in this miserable family.

@qynn man that was crazy. I sat the gawking for a min and then had to rewind to make sure. Then Hwa-Sang said about jail and that was it. I'm he'll no if that was my bro baby on no baby I would have dragged her by her out the house and make her repeat what she does said so everyone can hear. Then cart her was to the police station. She didn't even tell the others and just keep treating this crazy girl like nothing happen. Also why they so quick to believe it's his. Kmt

@chickfactor  no you guys aren't alone still here. You're so right the rage factor is high for this one. Every episode there's several people you wanna just beat some sense into or just beat. How can they not see their mom for what she is? How are they not pissed and angry at her but angry at Pong Sang? Jeong Sang was right when she said they are crazy. I too was a ssoo disappointed in her for what she said to Boon Sil. It really was low. I feel the writer is going into overkill. Shite happens yes but seriously it starting to feel like angst for the sack of it but not to help build and develop the characters and the story, things happen just because. Now they are homeless let's see how they going to spin it to blame it all and Pong Sang bunch of leeches mind Pong Sang seems quite content to let them suck him dry the fool instead of investing in his own daughter. 

Anyway seeing as preview is showing Jeong Sang finding out I'm hoping things will soon start to change some how and they start growing into adults and decent people. If it's just more angst for the sack of it I might have to hit pause. 

I'm still here. Too far invested and lost too much tears to give up now. >o< I haven't tuned into eps 19-20 yet, but I can't agree more. The misery just keeps piling on for these siblings. What's most upsetting is that most of the mishaps could have been and still are "fixable". With attitude adjustments, new perspective and mindset-- it's all up to the characters themselves to make a change to see change. I was hopeful with Jin Sang at the end of ep18, but I won't speak so fast just yet.

@qynn @chickfactor @tas82 That was disturbing and infuriating. Not just the fact that it's rape, but that Hwa Sang didn't drag her to jail herself. I hope the domestic audience will bring attention to this double standard ugliness. I honestly feel it's out of character for Hwa Sang to take this more passive approach, considering her nurturing natire with Wi Sang.

5 hours ago, tas82 said:

Anyway seeing as preview is showing Jeong Sang finding out I'm hoping things will soon start to change some how and they start growing into adults and decent people. If it's just more angst for the sack of it I might have to hit pause. 

Yes, that's the K-drama formula. Disease will bring them together and everyone will shed tears, repent and see the error of their ways... and redemption + hope, final credits roll.

I would be perfectly fine with this but it feels manipulative that it takes a true crisis (terminal disease) for everyone to finally come to their senses and learn to appreciate Poong-Sang. To be honest, the siblings have crossed the line and behaved so ridiculously that I don't know if it's possible for them to be believably remorseful and compassionate, even for such a crisis.

In fact, I'll bet that NO ONE will want to donate their liver. Jin-Sang and Hwa-Sang are likely to whine and complain that they've been dealt a raw deal in life so why should they have to sacrifice? Jeong-Sang probably shouldn't take weeks off work and jeopardize her job because she is their only lifeline to survival.

Wae-Sang probably would offer, but he may not turn out to be a match because they do not have the same father? He probably has an incompatible blood type or something. (Also, disease/injury is typically how birth secrets tend to become uncovered. - K-Drama Formula #2)

On 2/3/2019 at 8:39 AM, TRAN said:

I just feel so sorry for Poong Sang and his wife. I wish a happy ending for them.

21 hours ago, chickfactor said:

I was very disappointed in Jeong-Sang when she told their sister-in-law (Boon-Shil) that she knew what she was signing up for when she married Poong-Sang and needs to just suck it up. I thought that if anyone appreciated Boon-Shil even a little, it would be her. That was low.

It seems that in some dramas, a wife is viewed just as an appendage for the husband's family.

Poong-Sang has to support and look after his brothers and sisters. He practically serves as their dads. If he gets married, the wife practically gets several adult step kids.

It is hard enough to deal with several young step children. However, at least the wife could discipline them and they need less money.

By contrast, when the step ‘kids’ are adult but immature and dependent, she could not discipline them and they also need more money. On top of that, his mother also asks for money.

How is a wife supposed to deal with that?

Yet, instead of trying to understand his wife’s position, Poong-Sang blames her when he hands her the divorce paper. The irony ….

Ladies, Poong-Sang may be a good man but, unfortunately, he is not a good husband.

When a man like Poong-Sang approaches you, maybe it is wise to just run for the hill. There is plenty of fish in the sea.

43 minutes ago, jasmine19 said:

It seems that in some dramas, a wife is viewed just as an appendage for the husband's family.

Poong-Sang has to support and look after his brothers and sisters. He practically serves as their dads. If he gets married, the wife practically gets several adult step kids.

It is hard enough to deal with several young step children. However, at least the wife could discipline them and they need less money.

By contrast, when the step ‘kids’ are adult but immature and dependent, she could not discipline them and they also need more money. On top of that, his mother also asks for money.

How is a wife supposed to deal with that?

Yet, instead of trying to understand his wife’s position, Poong-Sang blames her when he hands her the divorce paper. The irony ….

Ladies, Poong-Sang may be a good man but, unfortunately, he is not a good husband.

When a man like Poong-Sang approaches you, maybe it is wise to just run for the hill. There is plenty of fish in the sea.

Did you guys really believe him? I honestly think he said it on purpose. She's work so hard all these years. He knows he's been neglectful. Last thing he wants is to put her through nursing a sick husband. I think he's trying to protect in his own way from what's to come in terms of his illness. She's done enough can't burden her again, is his thinking I feel.

Still watching :)

I agreed with @tas82, he doesn't want to burden her. 

Some how for this week episodes, i like Jeongsang the most. I think there's things in her i could learn, she's a realist, she knows what she's doing, study hard, work hard, don't let people push you around at work. All the things she said to the mother i like it all, she sees the real her, not the kind of loving mother supposed to be. Things she said to Boonshil is a bit harsh but that's the truth and I'm okay, but it was Hwasang or Jinsang then I'm not okay.

About Jeongsang's marriage, don't know if it will last, feel like there's no love.

About the pregnant girl, why do people believe others so easy? Also she's old enough to do what she did, so take the consequences by herself why bother other people? Rubbish. 

About Waesang and his love, no feelings and don't care.

I watched a few early episodes because I liked Poon Sang in He's got family.This show, it is so depressing, everyone is down and out. The actor Oh - second brother was funny in the show about an uncle and 3 nephews, he fooled an amnesiac heiress that she was his wife, and she ended up doing housework for him. But he was also overacting, like in this show. Even the successful sister is in a hopeless relationship with a married man. This actor was in a few shows that I had watched, don't really like his acting, wooden most of the time. I find the twin sister most annoying. Sponger, whining all the time, envious of the sister and is now being chummy with the equally annoying mother. I skipped a lot of episodes, while I am sure there are people like that family in this world, it is not a pick me up show. So ungrateful but the mother is welcomed by the younger twin? So frustrating watching even the few episodes.

I cannot take the suffering and feelings of rejection by Poon Sang. He loves and cherishes his siblings and all walk out on him. Ingrates. l am going to read recaps and maybe sneak in to read this forum. 

I wonder if a pharmaceutical company that produce high blood pressure medicine is funding this drama because this drama certainly raises my blood pressure.  :blink:  Out of frustration, I dropped this drama. But, curiosity pulled me back in. 

And, the fact that, when you least expect it, there is some great dialog, especially from PS' wife.  She has great common sense, endurance power, loyalty and whole lot of love for her husband.

Almost everyone in that family is frustrating and delusional. And, the most frustrating and totally delusional is Poong Sang.  He is the worst type of do-gooder because he is actually an enabler that handicaps the people he's trying to help.  Instead of pleading and begging with  the siblings, he needed to help them set reasonable goals, understand the potential consequences and don't fall for sob stories.  PS needed to  treat them as if they were babies learning how to walk. Hold them and let them take one step at a time.

PS is such a push-me pull-you that he is that family's worst enemy.

5 hours ago, Auntie Mame said:

And, the fact that, when you least expect it, there is some great dialog, especially from PS' wife.  She has great common sense, endurance power, loyalty and whole lot of love for her husband.

Yeah, she was such a great support to him. So understanding and loving and generous. I do not blame her ONE BIT for calling it quits. She's suffered more than enough.

I had to laugh in disbelief when he asked her to go on a trip abroad with him... then added that he was going on a trip with his siblings, so would she come along?

Wow, he really just doesn't get it.

I applaud Poong-Sang's generous spirit, but aside from meaning well, he is really doing SO MANY WRONG THINGS. He has spoiled his siblings to the point that they have the maturity of infants. His refusal to tell them what a toxic monster their mother is leaves them vulnerable to her schemes.

So frustrating. Yes, this does raise my blood pressure. This isn't a heartwarming family drama, it's more like a sick joke. And it's too tragic to be a fun makjang.

But I'll probably keep watching just to see how it ends.

On 2/8/2019 at 1:21 PM, katakwasabi said:

Congrats Liver or Die! I think it will be higher once TLE ends~ ahaha

KBS2’s Liver or Die – 11.8% | 12.7% Nielsen Korea (record-high)

http://inkinews.com/02-07-19-korean-tv-ratings-for-thursday/

Woah!!! LoD dethroned TLE this week! Earlier than i expected hahaha

Congrats LoD team! I will watch the eps later. I'm currently invested in TLE's ending. Lol

Omg...saw today episode. To many conflicts: yes the older brother live for his siblings so much that he even left and misstreated his own wife and daughter, and know he is dying and lonelly. He realisee  he did wrong with their brothers but its already too late and honestly is not for him to resolve their lives, he must let them move on, grow up, if they faced a problem to resolve it, he has always dragg them and try to make everything better but in reality it was not. They all say lyes and do not tell the true, problem with the mom who they see as they great mom when she is not and big broo by trying to cover this up has just make everythingore difficult. Time is rinning out on him and the doctor sister knows it. She nows that the other siblings can not do anything or even are not willing to do better. They are lost cases at the moment. But so far is the best show of the week. 

At this point, I'm just really curious to know whether the writers, PD, and actors are at least aware how messed up their characters are.

I think there are some clues. For example, the title of the show is 왜그래 풍상씨. Although it's translated by some as "What's the problem, Poong-Sang?" it is more accurately translated as: "Why are you doing that, Poong-Sang?" It is something that his wife says to him often, usually after he does something bone-headed.

And the title of the OST 4 is: 너무 아픈 사랑은 사랑이 아니었음을. It means: A love that hurts too much is not love.

Seeing how much pain everyone is in, the show is actually telling you - this is not love, and why is Poong-Sang doing that? What is wrong with him?

That's what's frustrating about this show. So much of what Poong-Sang does is sooooo messed up. He is messing up his siblings by coddling them and not telling them the truth. He caused them to become the whining brats that they are. This is NOT LOVE. He is not doing them any favors.

For example, when he confronted his mom at the playground, we learned that:

(1) she sold off Hwa-Sang to a bar when she was a senior in high school

(2) she stole the money that was set aside for Wae-Sang's rehab after being stabbed in his shoulder, so he can continue trying to be a pro baseball player

(3) she stole the money that was set aside for Jin-Sang's college tuition

So #3 was surprising. I thought Jin-Sang's college tuition was gambled away because he was tempted by that Kim Mi-Ryeon guy he keeps trying to kill?

Maybe they tricked Jin-Sang together to get him to gamble away all his money and she split it with him. Knowing this mother, I'm sure she is capable of that kind of treachery.

Anyway, she was (and is) a totally toxic mother and it's stupid for Poong-Sang to not tell his siblings the truth, so they can finally stop letting her use them. It's frustrating to watch when so many of their problems are at least somewhat avoidable.

I understand that he didn't have any role models and had to raise his siblings alone, so he will obviously make mistakes. But he had a supportive wife for 15 years, and he never listened to her advice and she finally kicked him to the curb - and he still doesn't get it, so...

I wanted to stick this out until the end, but ugh... I think I'm done. It's not even fun in the trainwreck way anymore.

For example, it kind of looks like they're setting up Hwa-Sang to get back together with Heung-Man, showing flashbacks of the sweet moments of their relationship, while conveniently leaving out scenes of him brutally beating her while drunk. Throw in the pregnant girl giggling over claiming to have raped Wae-Sang while he was out drunk ... and yeah. Ms. Writer is off her rocker.

So, my question is - does this writer understand? Does she think this is all so funny? Is it really fun to watch people be such messes? (High ratings say yes, apparently.)

But what is the point? Am I just supposed to point and laugh and be relieved that at least my life is not this bad or something?

I'm really curious.

Archived