[Drama 2019] Live or Die aka What’s the Problem, Poong Sang?, 왜그래 풍상씨

0ly40

What sorcery is this! My bloody pressure wasn't  raised crazy high this week well not until they when that primordial slim thing came running pretending she came to donate her liver. We all know she there thinking she can get insurance  money but you're too late b...ch :P

Chil Bok was awesome! He is too good for HWS, but he's hooked so for his sake I hope she truly turns a new leaf as writernim seems determine for them to hook up.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Chil Bok says to Hwa Sang before she receives the call... :bawling: *heart*

This week's episodes were a nice change, as far as frustration and blood pressure levels go. Even so, the show never fails to make me drop tears every week. Winners this week are, of course, Chil Bok and Boon Shil. 

Mama will never have a change of heart, so despite the ending of ep32 (ep16), I actually think that Wi Sang will be the liver donor. Sort of to re-authenticate his blood/family ties with his siblings. I find his breakdown relevant and in-character; when one loses their identity, they can become directionless. I really do hope for a miracle that he's a match, it's hard to come back from knowing your mother/father is not who you think they are, but then to also find out they're not your biological parent is another sword to your being. (In Happy Together, the cast revealed that he has a different mother (rather than a different father), so I'm curious if this is really what it seems.) I don't blame him for not being in his right mind.

A bit on a tangent, but I'm really liking Jeong Sang's husband. I understand she can't have her heart in it fully at the moment, but still, I want them to work out eventually.

19 hours ago, songielove said:

Mama will never have a change of heart, so despite the ending of ep32 (ep16), I actually think that Wi Sang will be the liver donor. Sort of to re-authenticate his blood/family ties with his siblings. I find his breakdown relevant and in-character; when one loses their identity, they can become directionless. I really do hope for a miracle that he's a match, it's hard to come back from knowing your mother/father is not who you think they are, but then to also find out they're not your biological parent is another sword to your being. (In Happy Together, the cast revealed that he has a different mother (rather than a different father), so I'm curious if this is really what it seems.) I don't blame him for not being in his right mind.

I'm still afraid the donor will be Boon Shil because of what @chickfactor posted about her name and the fact that Poong Sang told them to lie if she was a match. That seems like something that will come back up.

Narratively, I think Wang Sang makes the most sense, however. I know Poong Sang does love her, but if Boon-Shil is the donor, she will have given everything, including her liver, for him. Out of all the family members, it seems like being the donor would be the best conclusion to Wang Sang's character arc. 

Their mother is something other than a human.  I don't think she's had a change of heart about her children or that the character is being redeemed.   I agree that she showed up, in front of PS, because of the potential for the  insurance and funeral money.  

My eyes rolled every time she claimed that her kids would not be the ones taking care of her when she grows old; implying that her current man will take care of her.  She's totally delusional if she thinks the guy will stay with her if she didn't have any money.

I don't have a good take on when she ditched the family.  But, I'm wondering if WS could be the father's son with another woman. And, the mother left because he brought WS home for her to raise. 

The writer has shown us that a single situation can be viewed from very different perspectives.  Such as PS thinking it was a good tactic locking up JS, for his own safety.  Whereas, JS was totally traumatized by  the incident. 

Perhaps,  this whole mess was a result of the father's misdeeds.   I was really surprised at the opening scene of the drama, in which the father was found dead on the street.  It brought to mind what I heard the old folks said when someone died.  In Chinese culture, being found dead on the street is the worse way to die.  (The best way is to be at peace surrounded by generations of family.) One can even curse someone by wishing that they die on the street.<_<

On 3/2/2019 at 9:25 AM, qynn said:

I'm still afraid the donor will be Boon Shil because of what @chickfactor posted about her name and the fact that Poong Sang told them to lie if she was a match. That seems like something that will come back up.

Narratively, I think Wang Sang makes the most sense, however. I know Poong Sang does love her, but if Boon-Shil is the donor, she will have given everything, including her liver, for him. Out of all the family members, it seems like being the donor would be the best conclusion to Wang Sang's character arc. 

I fear the same regarding Gan Boon Shil, but I'm crossing fingers it would be too much of an obvious giveaway from the beginning. We know the writer likes to be creative in attributing characters' names to who they are, but I'm hoping Boon Shil's name is symbolic in other ways. If we know the functions of the liver, we can also say that Boon Shil is already the liver to Poong Sang. As we've already seen, without her, Poong Sang starts to deteriorate. (Cheesy XD)

On 3/2/2019 at 11:04 AM, Auntie Mame said:

The writer has shown us that a single situation can be viewed from very different perspectives.  Such as PS thinking it was a good tactic locking up JS, for his own safety.  Whereas, JS was totally traumatized by  the incident.

I agree. We can see direct effects of his treatment towards Jeong Sang vs. Hwa Sang. He obviously did not see it that way, though.

Maybe I'm taking it too personal (like someone said, the mother is so horrible that it's also hard to see the actress in real light), but I can never doubt or invalidate the siblings' traumas. No matter how frustrating or miserable each of them are, I very much still feel sympathy for each of them. And, I still feel this drama gives a look into very real people and circumstances, no matter how rare or far it is from the lives we lead. However weak, scarred, and self-loathing they are, there are real people like this who have a greater incapacity to believe in themselves due to such trauma. We don't wake up overnight, 30 years later, and decide we're better and we're going to change. Even less realistic is taking immediate action to change. It happens over time and we may need a physical push (that's why Chil Bok is so awesome). What Poong Sang thought was right only haunted his younger siblings into their adulthood. What's happening in their lives at the moment is the result of that build-up of fear, anger, hopelessness, and eventually, belief that their lives are meaningless.

Since things are moving forward with family members taking tests and our maknae is the only one left to know about Poong Sang's condition, I have greater hope that he will be the donor.

On 3/2/2019 at 11:04 AM, Auntie Mame said:

Perhaps,  this whole mess was a result of the father's misdeeds.

It's interesting how all this time, the father is told and shown in the worst light. However, I keep having this feeling that maybe he wasn't as awful. He obviously regretted, wanted to repent and apologize. The more disgusting the mother is, the bigger my feeling about this. Who knows if the mother was triggered by their father bringing home a baby that's not hers (if Wi Sang indeed has a different mother), or if she was always like this.

Really, big congratulations to the cast and production team! 20% in a weekly primetime slot is a big achievement in today's time! The cast volunteered their time at the senior center this week, as promised pre-premiere if they achieved 13% in ratings (instead of wearing the Doksuri 5 Siblings costumes that actor Lee Chang Yeop proposed, they wore matching track suits (since the costumes would be hard to move and serve food in :lol:)). Bravo, 5 Siblings! So cute~ the elders telling Poong Sang that he must get well. ^^

http://naver.me/5JiwHPw5

http://naver.me/FrFrtVLB

P.S. Anyone else addicted to this OST? Me, specifically Park Sae Byul's remake of "너무 아픈 사랑은 사랑이 아니었음을" (Love That Hurt Too Much Was Not Love). :bawling: ♡♡♡

This week was surprisingly less enraging than previous weeks.

Hurray for Chil-Bok, now emboldened by Hwa-Sang's love passive interest and literally knocks some sense into Jin-Sang. Not that he changes his mind right away. Only when he overhears Chil-Bok saying that he would offer his own liver does Jin-Sang finally decide to have his liver tested. He was basically shamed into it.

I guess not much else happened except that Poong-Sang and his organ donor wife reconnect and spend time being nice to each other - but it feels bittersweet because this is happening when he's dying and almost everyone else has turned their back on him. He could have been there for her before. When push comes to shove, she is the only one in his corner. She is the one great thing that ever happened to him, so he better appreciate her from now on.

The father-in-law is rather sweet and sympathetic towards Poong-Sang which was lovely to see. He grumbles and complains a lot but he does care about Poong-Sang and to see another person's suffering is really breaking his heart. Real emotions from a decent human being! Feels almost... foreign in this show.

All very well and good but I still can't get over how aggressively WEIRD this show is. Poong-Sang and his wife's idea of a good time is to dress as old versions of each other. With makeup! WTF. Is this something that people do?

And remember how Hwa-Sang and Jeong-Sang dressed up in matching dresses and blonde wigs for "twin play?" Yeah... who does this? It is so bizarre.

Wae-Sang: So he re-joined the gangsters. Is this "gang" like... real? He's in this gang and he get an office with a name plate on the desk? What does it say: "Lee Wae-Sang: Junior Big Boss" or something? HAHA. I guess I don't know enough about Korean gangs. Maybe this entire gang is some elaborate cosplay, too.

@chickfactor Re: Twin dress-up. Hwa Sang was thrilled over Jeong Sang's surprise, so it seems like playing cute dress-up in matching outfits is a Korean thing. It was weird enough, but the way it was presented made it especially creepy. I was in Korea last week and happened to see ads of "senior" dress-up photography like what Poong Sang and Boon Shil did... While sweet, it's kind of eerie. Definitely new to me too. :phew:

Preview for EP 34-36. 

Looks like it may go our route. My guess is their mother is going to run out on Poong Sang again, meanwhile Wi Sang gets injured trying to go back to Poong Sang, which conveniently puts him in the hospital...

:bawling:

(LOL, Wi Sang  is giving me Lawyer Choi Dong Joo feels (All Kinds of Daughters-In-Law).. not gangster junior boss. XD ).

Ugh I was getting a Summer Snow vibe when WS went back to the gang and also got that vibe BS too but I brushed it off. This preview is bringing all back.

Summer Snow 

Spoiler

Old Japanese drama the young man Natsuo struggling raising siblings meets this girl she has a heart condition so has been cuddle and sheltered. They become friends he brings her out of her shell and she gives him that shoulder, someone to talk. Anyhoos long story short they fall in love her parents were dead against it. Her condition worsens and she needs a transplant. One day on way to visit her at the hospital there's Natsuo saves a kid but end up in coma, brain dead. Turns out they really were meant for each other as his heart was a perfect match for hers.

The 1st drama that had me balling like a baby. I meant I only watch for Oguri Shun but ended have my heartstrings played like a harp :sweatingbullets: Really hope noone dies and he's saved as a result.

The mention of Boon Shil getting tested was very brief, coupled with this preview, I'm afraid too that it will be her, indeed. Unless Wi Sang is strong enough to recover... We know he's unlikely to die, just wouldn't make sense. (Also, according to Ki Eun  Se's Instagram stories, he's very much alive visiting her in non-gang attire.) The show should be titled "Poor Boon Shil-ssi". ㅜㅜ

On 3/3/2019 at 3:04 AM, Auntie Mame said:

don't have a good take on when she ditched the family.  But, I'm wondering if WS could be the father's son with another woman. And, the mother left because he brought WS home for her to raise.

I have not been an avid watcher of this show, too many exasperating moments. But I did see the part when the father told young Poong Sang to give him away because he was not the father's son. The mother is just an amoral old witch, she cannot feel anything for her own flesh and blood. That is quite possible since she abandoned them and there was no bonding. 

I am trying to think how karma should make her pay.

I was skipping episodes so did not see the one when the doc married her husband. There seemed to be some relationship that had gone sour and she was playing footsie with her married senior. Suddeny, she is married to this guy. He seems like a support character and has not been fleshed out. Maybe later since they have given more time to CB now, they might develop other partners.

Lord have mercy I thought Bong Shil at least had some sense when it comes that succubus. I can't believe she did that to her dad, so pissed at her right now. Writernim needs to stop mudding the water, mum is sludge, there will be zero pity even if she was dragged up,  she's a seasoned con woman turning on the waterworks when it suits and good at spinning a tale. Look now they are gonna loose that 20000, kmt. So dang predictable.

Dam it  my Summer Snow vibes seem to be correct..... :tears:

So if WS dies is this brazen rapist female going to come cap in hand expecting the family to support her and the kid? Actually she seems the type that  would drop the kid off outside their door and walk away.

HWS needs to stop lying to herself with her selfish and self pitying self, using it as the reason for not donate. Even without JS crazy creepy behaviour wouldn't have done it. She saying to console herself.

On the plus side JS and her husband's relationship is looking up, yah!

Anyone want to bet that mom's gigolo man ran off with the money?  

Stupid drama and writer.  Offed the most interesting, least aggravating and most potential character.  

At this point, I want PS to die because that is the only way BS can cut ties with that group of people.  Notice that I didn't refer to them as family.  They are not!  

Now, I am really done with this drama. It's been nice talking with the few of you.  See you on another drama; a much better drama. 

Can  an actual human being really  make such a stupid drama?  I pity the cast who had to act in this drama.  Maybe, this drama was a training exercise to teach potential writers how not to write a drama, as in:

How Not To Write A Drama 101 - 3 units - no prerequisite - Tue&Wed 10-12.

I'm sure Wae Sang will be fine. It's a cliffhanger. His heart will miraculously start beating at the beginning of the next episode but now there is no chance of him donating his liver and he'll have the gang boss to deal with it. 

The mother is the worst and BS was beyond dumb to give her money. I am slightly surprised that she didn't immediately take the money and run but was actually going to go through with the surgery before her sleazy squeeze didn't show/she got cold feet. But she's still the worst. 

I'm laughing like a madwoman after seeing the last episode. Where are we now? 33-34?

My brain is broken.

This show has made me feel so dead inside that what should have been a shocking and sad event (mom runs out of the operating room) was:

(1) utterly predictable - you knew she would never really go through with it

(2) not even that sad

because they've manipulated the audience so much and this whole "game show" feel (Whose liver is he gonna get? eeney-meeney-miney-moe) has become so ridiculous that almost nothing in this show resembles actual human emotions anymore.

Wae-sang will probably live. He probably also got stabbed in his liver making it un-donatable.

LIVER OR DIE. This horrible title should have given me a clue - this show is next level cray-cray.

I have to agree with most reactions by everyone here. The episode wasn't "exciting", rather we didn't make progress or learn anything new. It was spent waiting on when mom was going to run out. Of course, at the very last second. =_= Very predictable, it wasted precious time that could've gone over to Wi Sang's revival. Well, then I guess there wouldn't be a cliffhanger. Boon Shil was disappointing. I can understand a family's desperation, but at the cost of her own father-- the only consistent support she's had? I was also disappointed with Hwa Sang. I thought the writer was done with Heung Man...

I'm looking forward to Joongie learning about her dad's condition. Crossing fingers this next episode is more hopeful.

There are 6 more episodes unless there is an extension.  I think the writer will kill off PS and bring all the family members together for his funeral. Then we will get all the saccharine stuff, the ungrateful twin will probably get the most screen time. Of course, the time leap, she will be happily married to CB or maybe even have a baby, JS and her husband happy ever after....

I just want to see the despicable mother on the streets, homeless.

Archived