Quantcast
Maetawinz

[Drama 2019] Romance Is A Supplement, 로맨스는 별책부록

2 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@Auntie Mame

I've personally lost my beloved mom like 2.5 months ago and she suffered from dementia.. Though oddly her mind is still quite sharp. 

Caring for a person suffering from mental illness can be consuming & I presume whoever used those archaic methods did so to prevent the man from harming himself & to keep him in place. Had he been placed in a proper facility for dementia patients, they wouldn't have to resort to such inhumane methods. 

Dementia is an illness that sadly has no cure. The human mind can be both beautiful but harmful at the same time. 

Well, KBJ was not tied up the entire time because we heard that he fell from the stairs. So he could move freely before. However, after his accident, the person in charge decided to tied him up, when he was not around like he had to open the door. He thought, if he is not monitored properly, something terrible might happen again. There is a reason why CEH has not sent him to a proper facility. His face and name are famous. If it was revealed that KBJ was suffering from dementia, they would argue about the copy rights. CEH might have forced the writer to sell the copy rights to G. company. But CEH's relationship with his father is a secret. He would be forced to reveal that he is his son... which neither the writer nor our hero wanted to reveal which I can totally understand. Even DY is not aware of their relationship. I do think that CEH and JS are blood related but CEH has no idea about it.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

@bebebisous33

You forgot, "Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover" my absolute fave:D

As this drama fall into the Rom-Com category, it was easy to see why I presumed Ji-Yool to be comic relief. And honestly, she grates on my nerves not funny at all. Thank goodness her mom knew to cut off her expenses! Still she'd probably just bawl her eyes out over everything as usual:rolleyes: I cannot believe when she asked that staff member at the factory where to hang her coat!? In the real world, I don't think she'd last a month let alone a week. I'm guessing she got in through her mom's "connections". Or her "credentials". Though she doesn't appear to be the sharpest pencil in the box. But because she comes from money, her diploma/degree could be "bought".

Even if she's planted there by her mom for purposes of making herself more marriage-worthy, couldn't she like work in something she's interested in like fashion? Since Ji-Yool seem to place a lot of emphasis on her looks, even fawning over her designer handbag:rolleyes: What Eun-Ho asked was spot on. Dan-I replied she married her ex-husband 'cause he made her feel good, and she too didn't know why she married him!:P I think it speaks to how society is in South Korea. Where it's a stigma for anyone to remain single with no family.. Heck even dining alone is frowned upon! I sometimes wonder if they marry to escape being judged by society.   

I didn't really follow the whole segment toward the end of ep.09 where Eun-Ho discovered that poor old man alone and he started sobbing. It was a disconnect for me 'cause I don't get his relation to the old guy. But most have theorized that he's Eun-Ho's dad? And Eun-Ho shares the same last name as Dan-I what does this make them LoL? 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@Latte_Anyday This is not a theory. It was explained earlier that the writer is his father.

I miss the earlier explanation in which episode @bebebisous33

? Thank you.

1 hour ago, Latte_Anyday said:

nd Eun-Ho shares the same last name as Dan-I what does this make them LoL? 

Cha eun ho and kang dan i ( i think not the same last name).

Am i wrong?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, avondale16 said:

I miss the earlier explanation in which episode @bebebisous33

? Thank you.

Cha eun ho and kang dan i ( i think not the same last name).

Am i wrong?

Episode 6. It happens during the scene where CEH follows his friend and colleague Jae Min to the tree where the wife's buried. Just before, Jae Min hands over some document from KBJ. BonusBook_E06_00282-1.jpg

• Like 5

@bebebisous33

Right. Can count on you to fill me in on missed details!:lol:

@avondale16

Eun-Ho might've changed his last name to Cha to avoid suspicion. As @bebebisous33 pointed out, Eun-Ho's dad's surname is Kang as is Dan-I. Unless again there's something I've missed i.e. perhaps the old gentleman isn't Eun-Ho's biological dad??? But it could just be a common surname like Kim (shrugs) LoL.   

I don't know why but I've a feeling that Seo-Joon & Eun-Ho could be related~ 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@bebebisous33

Right. Can count on you to fill me in on missed details!:lol:

@avondale16

Eun-Ho might've changed his last name to Cha to avoid suspicion. As @bebebisous33 pointed out, Eun-Ho's dad's surname is Kang as is Dan-I. Unless again there's something I've missed i.e. perhaps the old gentleman isn't Eun-Ho's biological dad??? But it could just be a common surname like Kim (shrugs) LoL.   

I don't know why but I've a feeling that Seo-Joon & Eun-Ho could be related~ 

My theory is that Cha Eun Ho has been adopted that's why he had to fight for his inheritance after his mother had passed away. He had to fight against his step-father. This would have made no sense to argue about the inheritance if he was her biological son... but if we go to that adoption, then it makes more sense why a step-father would try to fight for the inheritance using the point that CEH is not biologically related to her.

KJB discovered much later that CEH was his son... This would also explain why CEH could serve DY as her errand-boy for one year, if he was back then living at an orphanage. No one would be so upset, if he spent so much time at the hospital. CEH is just an illegitimate son of KBJ which explains why there is this secret. I also think, JS and CEH are both related to KBJ. 

• Like 5

ep 10 Impression (we ...got a kiss today?) :wub: 

the writer really cannot help themselves from giving LJS a painful and heartbreaking plot in their drama. he has that face, probably. the face that scream "im in pain, im sad" really well. 

but, it such a good subplot which actually help us seeing danyi living without Eunho. constantly worrying when he went off grid. the countless of message for that 3 days scream like a lonely girlfriend missing her man. she start seeing where her heart lies in. :)

his real confession,which danyi has finally accepted as the truth  really beautiful. maybe that's why he's a writer. he has ways with words. Danyi crying at his earnest confession, him saying that he would not force his feeling on her, really gets me :wub:

D0LyqODUwAARGR_.jpg

D0LyVuJVsAAYZjG.jpg

Jiyul subplot also wonderfully done. she got an earful from eunho which finally made her realize a lil bit of her halfass work all this time. she start seeing their perspectives instead of her own. good:thumbsup:

JSJ first day at Gyeoroo prove to be fun :lol:. i can't believe im seeing  Eunho has to become referee in JSJ-Haerin argument. i expect JSJ vs Eunho, not JSJ vs Haerin at office. he looks like an older brother keeping peace in family :joy:

that double date, marvelous. from making this :expressionless:  to ;) at the end, eunho is such a dork and happily in love D0LzyahU0AUeN_D.jpg

THAT KISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK, we know there's gonna a dead fish kiss debate later, but I DONT CARE. IT'S STILL CUTE AND HEART FLUTTERING AS HECK :wub:

Spoiler

D0L3VLhU0AEohFh.jpg

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 7

@bebebisous33

For our OTP sake, I certainly hope Eun-Ho's NOT related to that old gentleman that's for sure! But I sort of don't care anymore so..moving on:P

F I N A L L Y. They K I S S E D. Oh my god.

Love the lil smirk Eun-Ho had when Dan-I didn't give Seo-Joon a band aid for his cut ha-ha. And I liked that Lee Jong-Suk opened his mouth when he kissed Lee Na-Young:w00t::phew: not just simply pressing lips as it usually is in most other K-Dramas:rolleyes: 

On another note, I can sort of see where this is headed.. with 6 ep. left, I think our OTP happiness would be shortlived as they have to go through the usual hurdles thrown their way i.e. birth secrets, backstabbing family members/friends and other familiar k-drama tropes etc. K-Dramas normally lose steam toward the end with a rushed finale so yup, whatever it is I'm just goin' to keep watching without much expectation.

• Like 6

Preview for ep 11

Video translation:

DY: I don’t see you as a man, Cha Eun Ho.
EH: Kang Dan Yi!
DY: Go to the bathroom.
EH: Say “OPPA! Please clean the bathroom.” Say it.
DY: You haven’t been beaten enough, have you?
EH: In noona’s eyes, I’m there. (meaning literally he sees his reflection in her eyes, but also implying the metaphor)
JSJ: Were you dumped because you only work all the time? Or do you work all the time because you were dumped?
HR: Just because we fell asleep leaning on each other’s shoulder for a minute doesn’t mean that we’re in love.
EH: Do I still seem like just a little brother to you?
DY: Give me some ideas. (she probably means to help her develop some ideas for a work project)
(EH purses his lips at her, so she smacks them.)
DY: I said to give me some ideas.
EH: You like me.

Translation of preview version from end of episode. It has one extra bit with HR and JSJ.

DY: I don’t see you as a man, Cha Eun Ho.
EH: Dan Yi!
DY: Go to the bathroom.
EH: Say “OPPA! Please clean the bathroom.” Say it.
DY: You haven’t been beaten enough, have you?
EH: In noona’s eyes, I’m there.
JSJ: Were you dumped because you only work all the time? Or do you work all the time because you were dumped?
HR: Just because we fell asleep leaning on each other’s shoulder for a minute doesn’t mean that we’re in love.
HR: This young pollack keeps only looking at this cuttlefish.
SJS: Since the two people are living in the same house…
EH: Do I still seem like just a little brother to you?
DY: Give me some ideas.
(EH purses his lips at her, so she smacks them.)
DY: I said to give me some ideas.
EH: You like me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

@faithinme lara, this is for you. So, at the end of the episodes, there are usually pages of text which the subs try to abbreviate into one or two English sentences, though they are actually written as poems or reflections, and are quite beautiful. So, at the end of episode 10, there is an image of EH and DY's kiss along with some text. Here is a complete translation of that text:

Thumbnail

Suddenly, the wind blowing can’t be heard,
The shaking of the tree over there stops,
The whole world turns dark and then brightens again,
A moment feels as if it’s forever,
Our time together is as if it’s captured in that forever.
Our lips meeting was like that.

edit: The scene shot is thanks to @faithinme lara who captured it and posted it below. Thank you so much. :)

The sub version of the text is a rather prosaic summation of the text, and I personally think it misses the point a little bit.

2 hours ago, faithinme lara said:

THAT KISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK, we know there's gonna a dead fish kiss debate later, but I DONT CARE. IT'S STILL CUTE AND HEART FLUTTERING AS HECK :wub:

Anyway, I could anticipate there there might be some dead fish comments, but after reading the text of that still, I could understand even better why DY froze like that, and how she felt in that moment. The unexpectedness, but also the impact of that kiss moved her whole world. So, while I hope that there will be more kisses which are fully reciprocated, I'm happy with the kiss in this episode in how it progressed EH's confidence in his approaches as he becomes surer that DY does feel something for him even if she's not sure what, as well as that it is having an impact on DY and how she seems him.  :wub: 

Edited by stroppyse
added a pic
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

Ok I came for some spoilers. And I got the spoilers. Thanks. 

I actually watched ep 8 and 9 for the first time yesterday. Good move as I didn't catch any spoilers. It made my heart flutter. LNY's eyes or Danyi's eyes are like ppols of emotions. I only read it in novels where it says her eyes reflect pain/love/ vulnerability. She is such a good actress being so understated yet conveying the emotions so well.

I enjoyed it a lot.

I have been watching a daily Gangnam Scandal and had to skip a lot of scenes. But there were so many actors there who act so badly that you can SEE the actor trying to actually emote. The actual strain as a viewer looking at them is kind of torturous. So its a pleasure just immersing myself in the drama here. Haerin shooting killing daggers at JY has been so good. In the other drama the female opens her eyes, attempts to look angry and basically screams. And when a female has a bad speaking voice and does a half hoarse half screech scene? Its just like watching a train wreck happening.

@stroppyse thanks again for the translation. I sometimes feel like cringing on your behalf when I read such moving words translated. Then you see such summary written by translators in a rush. They can't help it I feel as they are paid. And to sub fast.

I am in a mellow mood this morning as I cooked dakdoritang for breakfast yesterday ( had a craving ) followed by a Korean BBQ yesterday. I love it when young entrepreneurs jazz up and give a chic vibe to restaurants. Everything is much prettier and the banchan is prettier/ nicely presented. 

Only commenting because the udon place looks so cute. And almost all the restaurants I went to in Seoul were so plain and prosaic. And since half the time I went to the ones where the locals eat- cheaper ones- it was super basic looking.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

@stroppyse thanks again for the translation. I sometimes feel like cringing on your behalf when I read such moving words translated. Then you see such summary written by translators in a rush. They can't help it I feel as they are paid. And to sub fast.

Well, Korean is a fairly verbose language, so I understand that they have to abbreviate it. I noticed when I finally saw a subbed episode early on, though, that they were really taking liberties with the end of the episode texts. Entire poems and reflections are brutally cut down. It's only a bit painful when they miss the entire point or the translation is misleading.

So, for your enjoyment, this is from the first still/text which shows EH richard simmons bedside by his teacher.

The Korean text on the scene reads:

I think about the characters that make up the word “promise”.
About the meaning of that word.
If there is a next life and we are able to meet with different faces,
Will my teacher smile at me, will he say thank you, or else will he cast disapproving eyes, will he blame me.
If he says “You should known to have broken that promise and do as everyone else in the world would do instead”, then what will I do?
I think of that “blame” that my promise may have to wear as well.
That I had been prepared even for that in my promise.

This was subtitled in 2 frames as follows:

I think about the word “promise”
And what that word really means

So, again, their translation kind of gets the sense of what the text is saying, but it misses the direction of EH's reflection and his misgivings of whether he is doing the right thing or not in having given his promise to his teacher (or father), but also in whether he's doing the right thing or not by even keeping that promise now that his teacher is helpless, and that those questions have haunted EH for a long time.

The drama seems to be indicating that the old teacher is the author Kang Byung Joon who EH had already said was his father. However, as others have indicated EH is either illegitimate or at least recognized later in life. I think the issue is whether EH should have facilitated KBJ's disappearance from public life or not, especially since KBJ still has many fans who are curious about him and would probably send him love and sympathy.

Btw, no idea whether SJS and EH are related. I kind of hope that this drama doesn't feel the need to have such coincidences like that, however, I can see it's not beyond imagining, especially since SJS seems a bit preoccupied with KBJ as well. If KBJ had one illegitimate child, why not two?

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for taking the time to translate. But you see with proper translations- some Korean writers- are actually really eloquent. You already know I love Korean OSTs and their lyrics in the scenes. For example Touch Your Heart is on viki. When the subs are edited and done it is actually better written compared to the fast VIU subs.

This drama is on Netflix and the subs there are done by 1 subber as I see the credit. I presume the fast subs are from VIU.

I think people don't know better. I recall one of my first dramas Boys Over Flowers. It has one of the worst subs ever and it is still bad. But I didn't know better. One of my earliest dramas was Sungkyunkwan scandal and I am still channel manager there- the English subbing back then was different from now. However we have no one who is willing to go back and review the subs. So it is as it is. However subbing these days are of a higher quality. And I get grilled anyway about my Korean so I am more conscious.

That's why half the time these days I just watch an episode raw. Most of the fast VIU subs just take away the actual FEELING of the scene. Like honestly, don't you think so? I do know I swoon half the time at the romantic lyrics in the background during an emotional scene.

This drama is chilled and relaxed and for the first time, I actually like LJS playing a character. The only other role was when he was with LSY but he was so young and raw then. He is better now but still the same acting style and same speech patterns. Clipped fast speech and slightly flippant upward tone at the end.

All those LJS fans- this is not a cue for bashing please- people are allowed to have opinions about their " bias." I am talking about the acting style. He is having very good chemistry with LNY here. Who is really good and believable as Danyi. I don't see the actresss but Danyi. Where else I still SEE LJS as LJS. Vs Eun Ho.

Guess I better run away now. 

• Like 4

I have OST questions. Some of the OSTs have been released or at least named. But naturally, the ones I am most interested in have not. 

Anyone know the names/artists for the following songs? 

1. Ep 2, around 28 minutes, when Dani gets a call to say she got the job at the publishing place

2. Ep 2, around 32 minutes in, where Dani is sneaking out of the house for her first day of work, steals a piece of toast, and goes skipping down the street (starts with the line, Walking on Sunshine)

3. Ep 10, around 7 minutes in, when CEH is washing his father's feet 

Really enjoying the drama so far!

• Like 4

On 2/24/2019 at 12:36 AM, greezlybee said:

woah. tonight’s episode starts to open up some question boxes. i fell in love with how DY define EH as a book.... writer-nim, thank you for such a beautiful episode!!!

ms. Go! finally we can see that smile of yours towards DY at the office. and to JY... im starting to dislike you sorry. 

my heart aches for both HR and EH. HR is too lovable and too strong. even when she’s hurting, she smiles throughout EH’s rejection. i can’t imagine what will happen to her when she finds out that DY is the one who’s living with EH. 

And EH... your sobs are very heart breaking and heart warming at the same time. (children who cries out for their parents somehow warms my heart, it tells me their genuine love for them y know. i know im weird.) I think his father is mentally ill because his hands and arms are tied up.

oh and one more thing, I’m hoping that HR and SJ ends up together! they have the same vision and their chemistry is daebak. go on a date! get married! and make books (babies)! :D

I like Hr character. Meanwhile, I remember her from W. Her character also got rejected by LJS character in W. How sad is that....huhuhu.

I actually found her characteristic interesting as a person more than Dan-i herself. For me Dan-i is still in the dark about her feeling and what is actually need in her life. While HR already knows what she want. I like that she accept rejection in a good way. I also like how the writer portray her family reaction to the rejection. Its cute...

• Like 4