[Drama 2018] My ID is Gangnam Beauty, 내 ID는 강남미인

0ly40

@happyboy Thank you for those insightful thoughts on how Kyung Seok sees Mi Rae vs. Soo Ah! I love the connection between MR and Hye Sung, and you hit the nail on the head on those similarities being part of the reason MR remained in KS' thoughts all those years. And, of course, because kdramas love fate... Mi Rae and his mother saved each other without him even knowing. I think it's a little more subtle here than in most dramas, and I love it even more for that reason.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought WY’s confession was very smooth though I am firmly in the DKS and MR camp. 

I like how he slipped in ‘ I like you’ into a bunch of stuff about himself. So suave. I would have been very moved if I was on the receiving end of that :P

There are only 4 episodes left, I worry there isn’t enough time to wrap up the story. The past few episodes have been hinting at SA’s backstory and I don’t know if there’s enough time to do that, plus our main couple and then also resolution about DKS’ family.

38 minutes ago, kangminjae said:

I LOVED the contrast between WY telling Mi Rae all guys like pretty girls and KS saying he doesn't think of Mi Rae as pretty or ugly, but as herself. WY is a much better guy in the drama than in the webtoon, but I have to wonder if KS would rip him a new one for saying that to MR. Because even though he gave her a sweet speech about everyone deserving love at the end, telling a girl like Mi Rae who struggles with her self-image that "all guys like pretty girls" isn't great.

It’s the best thing about DKS no mater how handsome he is, he is not interested in the outer appearance from the start. Just the fact that he finds the old MR (before the plastic surgery) someone who made him smile in his dark days of his life proves that this guy is is not included in the typical “all guys like pretty girl” kind of guy. He was more awed by how MR’s feet dance movement while at the bus stop. I also find it sweet that he remembers her and was able to tell that those 2 different looking girls were just one and the same KMR that he knew in middle school. Actually I hope MR will realize how sincere and deep DKS feelings for her considering he knew how she looked like before but still he was persistent in showing her his care. And that MR would stand up for herself and stop breaking DKS precious heart. :P 

Where to find a guy as perfect as DKS perfect face, inelligent, loyal, caring...? I need to find one for my daughter.  This is what separates reality and dramas! LOL! :D :D :D 

1 hour ago, amisyka77 said:

The reason why Woo Young has no chance for Mirae's heart.:wub:

Awww.. love the caption of Peter Kavinsky. Yes, DKS is similar to Peter Kavinsky in "To All The Boys I've Loved Before." He likes KMR for herself and personality. He never cared on how she looked like back then and now. KMR, why can't you just see that? :( It's soo painful that she cried in the rain and he didn't go back, even though I'm sure he wanted to. :bawling:

My guess is for next week, she finally pucks up her guts and takes Woo Young's word and goes back to DKS. The picture of them wearing a mask together and holding hands, I don't think they are just hiding their faces, could it be they got sick together being in the rain..? Lol. Just a guess, because that happened before in other dramas. :lol:

I think he showed the proper amount of anger towards the female antagonist without slapping her and without turning himself in to an example of unspeakable human male species. That's all I gotta say about his acting!!! Sorry I post this here. I won't say anymore on this subject of his acting credibility:wacko::vicx::wacko:

4 minutes ago, volturi987 said:

It’s the best thing about DKS no mater how handsome he is, he is not interested in the outer appearance from the start. Just the fact that he finds the old MR (before the plastic surgery) someone who made him smile in his dark days of his life proves that this guy is is not included in the typical “all guys like pretty girl” kind of guy. He was more awed by how MR’s feet dance movement while at the bus stop. I also find it sweet that he remembers her and was able to tell that those 2 different looking girls were just one and the same KMR that he knew in middle school. Actually I hope MR will realize how sincere and deep DKS feelings for her considering he knew how she looked like before but still he was persistent in showing her his care. And that MR would stand up for herself and stop breaking DKS precious heart. :P 

Where to find a guy as perfect as DKS perfect face, inelligent, loyal, caring...? I need to find one for my daughter.  This is what separates reality and dramas! LOL! :D :D :D 

The last wordings of your post r golden!.. Yes a perfect guy like DKS is very hard to find.. He is just like a fantasy which rarely exist in our real society!! DKS n his perception of things like Soo Ah n his liking for Mi Rae, everything is soo precious!! 

I have never even felt once for WY,  coz he was just like other guys who fell for a pretty face, I accept that he then started liking her personality..  But if Mi Rae was what like in past, he would have never spared a glance at her but it's different with our chic guy, he would have surely tried to get close to Mi Rae n would have been her shield n would have had the same love interest like now.. That's what I admire abt DKS! 

@athena22 I harsh forgot to breathe during this scene... gosh it was intense and I wanted them to get together so bad but knew it wasn't the right point in the drama yet!! I can't imagine what I will do when that moment comes.. I'm probably going to scream from happiness LOL

ASTRO updated their twitter and I see that CEW is watching the drama on his phone LOL. It's the scene where they are studying and MR is checking him out from a few tables away :D I think that's so cute.. watching his own drama.. or showing it off to his bros :lol:

DmEYYUKVAAAVCn5.jpg

One of the main contributors Javabeans, for Drama beans has just started with this drama

My ID Is Gangnam Beauty: I just picked this up this week, so I’m way behind but I like it enough to suspect I may be caught up fairly soon. I find the heroine’s position quite interesting, having wanted all her life to be treated as normal, only to find that once she gets surgery so that she can join the ranks of the rest of society, she’s so beautiful that she’s overshot and treated differently by everyone because of her beauty. I’m sure Aesop had a fable about that. Our resident Mr. Broody is shaping up to be the poster boy for the tsundere hero, and I find myself swooning in some parts and wishing in others that he were a more interestingly complicated character. I can’t wait for two-faced, snake-like Soo-ah to get her comeuppance, and just hope it won’t take all series long. My bloodlust must be sated, and the sooner the better.

And there are lot of discussions going on  abt. this drama in the comment section.  Its already past 12 episodes, now only it is getting hotter there.  Fighting!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, volturi987 said:

I happen to see this on twitter. But my Korean is not so extensive so I cannot translate. Sorry

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=117&aid=0003101219

My korean is also not on that level yet but it seems like they are talking about the rain scene.

After watching yesterdays episode i feel so sad, i felt every emotion of MR in my heart..

I wonder at what time KS started developing romantic feelings for MR, if he was always attracted to her and it blossomed after meeting her again... Because we all could tell at what time he started showing her he is interested..

In the rain scene he said that he already told MR that he is not interested in SA, but when did he actually tell her...:confused:

I have been an ardent listener of k pop so most times I tend to be very happy when they succeed individually cos the truth is that even as popular idols, together as a team they don't take much to the bank as much as they do with individual efforts. So I'm really happy for our male lead and KDY.

This drama tells of the inequality that exist in our society between the male and female folks.

Being labelled as fatty and ugly does more emotional damage to females than males. A man seems to cover up much with the amount of wads in his pocket. An ugly man can actually date and marry miss universe as long as he is fully loaded. 

Sometimes people don't know it but beautiful people get depressed a lot cos they know that it's their beauty the world cares for not who they are inside.  A one time miss England recently committed suicide. She has been depressed and has a vlog. Her last posts were when she told people she will greet them soon as she has won her fight with depression  and viola, she committed suicide.  Up to 8 beauty queens have killed themselves cos most of the time they suffer from depression

The society has raised to much standard over beauty that teens and adolescents especially girls go for plan  B if they can't naturally have A and become more depressed after they know that it gives them temporary happiness.

CEW as a person is under intense pressure if U guys don't know it, to live up to the societal standard of living up to his image. 

If his band is not monitored and directed well, he will start having problems with his band mates. That's part of human nature.

When u go out together and everybody cheers only u and ur band mates are left behind. This has destroyed some idol groups before.

I have watched clips were he appeared in programmes and everybody were busy praising his looks more than necessary. They dont actually want to know the guy behind those looks. 

So his real life may seem like that of his drama mum. 

I will love to hear his thoughts after the drama and why he chose this drama too. 

1 hour ago, soesje said:

My korean is also not on that level yet but it seems like they are talking about the rain scene.

After watching yesterdays episode i feel so sad, i felt every emotion of MR in my heart..

I wonder at what time KS started developing romantic feelings for MR, if he was always attracted to her and it blossomed after meeting her again... Because we all could tell at what time he started showing her he is interested..

In the rain scene he said that he already told MR that he is not interested in SA, but when did he actually tell her...:confused:

For me he may not be romantically interested in MR at first but from episode 1 he already saved MR from the pervert sunbae which was out of character of DKS because he does not get involve in anyone’s business. He went to help her because his instinct was telling him that this  MR may be that MR from middle school after he saw her danced. 

I was also wondering when did he tell MR that he is not interested with SA. I rewatched all episodes several times already but I can’t remember that scene. So I think I have an excuse to rewatch again. Hahahaha

@darr I agree wih you. I watched several shows with Astro and what I noticed most of the time discussions with CEW consist about his good looks, as I see him he has more to offer rather than good looks. CEW having a lot of presssure on his shoulders like what you said is very true. There was a show where they mentioned that he was the worst dancer in their group and he rephrased it by saying that all members are good dancers it’s just that they are beter dancers than he is. I also heard him in once of his appearance that he wishes to be appreciated because of his talents and hardwork instead of his being the “face genius”. Maybe this is also the reason why he excelled in almost all fields when he was still studying. He is also preparing by researching about the show, hosts even studying the language now that he is in showbiz. He wants to let everyone know that he is more than his beautiful face. Other group members might be ok with all the attention and work that CEW is currently getting but we don’t really know until when will they be as supportive and until when will they can suppress the “human nature” in them that they also want the same attention and work. I am hoping that all of them are really sincere that they want their group to last long in the industry. Because seriously even before their debut CEW got the spotlight instantly which also helped making their group popular. 

If WY believes that “every guy likes a beautiful girl” because that is reality. Most people start to like something because it is beautiful, which is basic instinct as the drama perceived it in the movie scene where people are drawn to look at beautiful things. I myself is guilty of this because I tend to see the outer appearance before I see what’s really inside may it be an object or a person. This is why I loved this drama it has a lot of things in it that would make you ponder and has a lot of lie lessons to learn aside from giving our eyes a beautiful and handsome OTP. I was half-hearted If I will start watching this drama because I doubted CEW acting ability but he did not disappoint me. I am so glad I watched it. :D 

Wow K-nets really have some eagle eyes, they found out that the delusional guy Dong Won was there in the 1st episode already staring at SA. I love how the drama pay attention to details and set it up from the very beginning!

cr: DC gall

1535878130.jpg

It's good that they have already started to insert SA's arc here and there, at least we don't have to spend a whole episode for SA's arc later..

1 hour ago, soesje said:

Yeah, i don't think there are scene when KS told Mirae he is not interested in SA, maybe in deleted scene? 

3 hours ago, kangminjae said:

I LOVED the contrast between WY telling Mi Rae all guys like pretty girls and KS saying he doesn't think of Mi Rae as pretty or ugly, but as herself. WY is a much better guy in the drama than in the webtoon, but I have to wonder if KS would rip him a new one for saying that to MR. Because even though he gave her a sweet speech about everyone deserving love at the end, telling a girl like Mi Rae who struggles with her self-image that "all guys like pretty girls" isn't great.

But honestly, WY is not wrong. It is a reality that people are attracted by the physique... yes the inner beauty matters but the personality is not enough. Just like only physical attraction is not enough either. You need both (physical attraction and attraction with the personality) in order to fall in love. Even KMR admits it herself. She finds DKS attractive (he is handsome).

Moreover, KMR needs to hear that she is pretty because she is. She thought, she was pretty until she heard that she was called "a Gangnam beauty". From that moment, she started seeing herself as ugly again. So deep down, she still thinks that she is not pretty. She has internalized the negative perception "Gangnam beauty"... she views herself as such which is pretty sad. 

When DKS met KMR in the past, he remembered her due to the perfume and her dance move. However, he never approached her in the past, although she made him smile. But at the university, he acted differently towards her. Why? Not just because he remembered her but also he was definitely attracted by her. The reason why DKS denied that KMR was either pretty or ugly is because he knows that people have different tastes when it comes to beauty. Moreover, he doesn't want to reduce KMR to an object and even to one aspect: beautiful or not.

And the combination of physical attraction and attraction due to the personality is also underlined in the couple TH-TY. TY thought that she was a nice person and she was not bad looking, however when SA approached him, he got swayed and to me, it proves that he was never that attracted to TH. He liked TH but not to the point of being attracted by her. 

2 hours ago, soesje said:

He did not tell MR he isn't interested in SA as far as I know... He doesn't even care abt SA to talk abt her to MR... I also wondered the same.. Might be a mistake on dialogue writer side or their secret talks lolz 

2 hours ago, darr said:

I have been an ardent listener of k pop so most times I tend to be very happy when they succeed individually cos the truth is that even as popular idols, together as a team they don't take much to the bank as much as they do with individual efforts. So I'm really happy for our male lead and KDY.

This drama tells of the inequality that exist in our society between the male and female folks.

Being labelled as fatty and ugly does more emotional damage to females than males. A man seems to cover up much with the amount of wads in his pocket. An ugly man can actually date and marry miss universe as long as he is fully loaded. 

Sometimes people don't know it but beautiful people get depressed a lot cos they know that it's their beauty the world cares for not who they are inside.  A one time miss England recently committed suicide. She has been depressed and has a vlog. Her last posts were when she told people she will greet them soon as she has won her fight with depression  and viola, she committed suicide.  Up to 8 beauty queens have killed themselves cos most of the time they suffer from depression

The society has raised to much standard over beauty that teens and adolescents especially girls go for plan  B if they can't naturally have A and become more depressed after they know that it gives them temporary happiness.

CEW as a person is under intense pressure if U guys don't know it, to live up to the societal standard of living up to his image. 

If his band is not monitored and directed well, he will start having problems with his band mates. That's part of human nature.

When u go out together and everybody cheers only u and ur band mates are left behind. This has destroyed some idol groups before.

I have watched clips were he appeared in programmes and everybody were busy praising his looks more than necessary. They dont actually want to know the guy behind those looks. 

So his real life may seem like that of his drama mum. 

I will love to hear his thoughts after the drama and why he chose this drama too. 

What you wrote has been at the back of my mind for sometime now since I started to pay attention on CEW.

Spoiler

I'm not a kpop lover and only know about one or 2 idols who turn actors. I admit I cannot NOT pay attention to him the first time I watch GB so I went through almost all material about him in the net. Since ASTRO debuted in 2016, there's not much but one thing I notice is CEW 's journey in ent world is almost similar with Lee Joon from MBLAQ. He's the most visual and most celebrated member of MBLAQ. The one that most sought after when they debuted. The one who got the most jobs and the one who worked the hardest and unfortunately the one with the most burden. Lee Joon is known to have suffered from depression and God know how I pray that CEW wont fall on the same bandwagon. I hope he has extra strong support from family and friends to stay put and not succumb to the normal drawbacks of being an idol. His visual, I would say from personal opinion of a 40-ish ahjumma, is close to surreal or out of this world that not only a huge advantage to him being in the ent world but also a curse. I am a avid kdrama watcher and my preference is always 35 and avove actors so to take interest in this early 20 rookie idol + actor is actually out of my habit. But I just cant stop worrying for him. 

Archived