[Drama 2018] My ID is Gangnam Beauty, 내 ID는 강남미인

0ly40

5 hours ago, kangminjae said:

It's not about whether Soo Ah seems nice and humble or not, it's that Tae Young told Tae Hee he liked her and wasn't interested in prettier/skinnier girls. And yet he's the one 'suggesting' they keep the relationship a secret and now falling for Soo Ah's charms.

If he hadn't led Tae Hee on first, then it wouldn't matter as much that he was now interested in Soo Ah. Plus, it's not like Tae Hee isn't a kind girl, either. It's not like SA is presenting a more appealing personality, she's merely sending out some signs of interest that have Tae Young dropping Tae Hee like a hot potato.

Unfortnately Tae Young  is swayed by Soo Ah because the prettiest girl (god knows why lol) on campus was being directly sweet to him. This is a compiliment that has triggered his interest. 

I am dissapointed with him with keeping his relationship a secret and the Soo Ah interest, do better TAE YOUNG!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Just to point out, 

DKS is greek god himself.. so under normal conditions, SA's strength is no value add for him .. because going by the theme, he can get any girl.

Also, i am just wondering on the overall message. What would it have been if a normal looking, normal nice man was the one interested in her. At the end of the day, for all the good drama wants to do by showing beauty is skin deep.. it falls into the same trap.

Not just good looking, but the most good looking, intelligent, and rich man falls for a girl who thinks she is not pretty. And he falls at a time when she thinks she looks pretty. 

In terms of character personalities, i think EY, and her friend who helps DKS friend actually have the best personality and sanest practical approach to life. And, the ones who have consistently not judged people on looks - good or bad. No biases.

DKS is Greek god I have to agree.. But he would have fallen for MR even if she had her previous looks! Coz she made him curious n smile for the first time.. For DKS, beauty means nothing! He doesn't clearly like the over good types.. He knows that no-one is perfect!! So the girl who is pretty n shows that she is perfect is just a pretense n in most scenes u can see DKS looking at her with a knowing look! 

Yeah most of the shows show that rich guy falls for not so pretty girl when she becomes pretty!! But there r some good shows where the leads love the girl even before she pretty!! 

I also think EY n her friend.. That is MR's true friends r pretty good!! They r kind n straightforward.. 

2 minutes ago, icyphoenix said:

DKS is Greek god I have to agree.. But he would have fallen for MR even if she had her previous looks! Coz she made him curious n smile for the first time.. For DKS, beauty means nothing! He doesn't clearly like the over good types.. He knows that no-one is perfect!! So the girl who is pretty n shows that she is perfect is just a pretense n in most scenes u can see DKS looking at her with a knowing look! 

Yeah most of the shows show that rich guy falls for not so pretty girl when she becomes pretty!! But there r some good shows where the leads love the girl even before she pretty!! 

I also think EY n her friend.. That is MR's true friends r pretty good!! They r kind n straightforward.. 

Agreed, I think that's exactly why they added the detail that Mi Rae's been on Kyung Seok's mind since middle school, and that he remembered her dancing and how she made him smile. He felt a strong kinship to her and seemed disappointed by her choice to do plastic surgery at first, so I'm sure he would have reached out to her no matter what she looked like.

On the flipside, he is entirely unmoved by pretty girls who are interested in him. He's a very reserved and introverted person, so it would take a really strong pull like the one he felt towards Mi Rae to bring him out of his shell.

Many nice scenes in episode 9! This was my favourite haha

Ska_rmavbild_2018_08_25_kl_09_09_09.png

Ska_rmavbild_2018_08_25_kl_09_09_20.png

Some thoughts i have about the episode is that when Won-Ho wrote Ji-Hyo,  Soo Ah wasn't looking pleased, i can't believe she balances the attention of 3 guys at the same time. Felt a bit disappointed with that Sunbae, it's okay to like someone else but make that clear and don't juggle two people at the same time. Let her go and she will find a way better guy. He seemed so sincere at the festival but too easily swayed~

Lots of focus on KS, but kind of miss Mirae's development. When they were in the classroom, she looked sad that everyone rooted for KS and Soo Ah to be a campus couple. Maybe that will cause her to give in to Soo Ah. I hope not. But even though KS is very obvious to us, it might be more difficult for Mirae to understand that he likes her if he doesn't say it directly. After all, she misunderstood the mop guy and i think that makes her more cautious. I like that she is slowly discovering her feelings though through their friendship. KS too haha, just wish he would stop competing with Woo Young because he is a really nice guy, but then again that shows that everyone has their weaknesses and "bad sides" (not bad per say, but less good qualities) and no one is perfect even if they embody the perfect look or aura. Except Soo Ah, she has really bad qualities, no doubt haha

It will be interesting to see Mirae have dinner with Woo Young because his character is kind of forgotten and reduced to a perfect love interest. It would be nice to see beyond that, just a peek ;) Less of the not so important characters i think, even if they reduced the parents, they focus on other characters that doesn't really have any context in relation to the story, that's my only critique but it's a mild one haha, it doesn't bother me that much.

I really enjoyed this episode, it will be interesting to see what happens today :wub:

1 minute ago, kangminjae said:

Agreed, I think that's exactly why they added the detail that Mi Rae's been on Kyung Seok's mind since middle school, and that he remembered her dancing and how she made him smile. He felt a strong kinship to her and seemed disappointed by her choice to do plastic surgery at first, so I'm sure he would have reached out to her no matter what she looked like.

On the flipside, he is entirely unmoved by pretty girls who are interested in him. He's a very reserved and introverted person, so it would take a really strong pull like the one he felt towards Mi Rae to bring him out of his shell.

That's what I like abt DKS!! Plus u could really see him regretting the fact that MR as misunderstood him for a long time, if they weren't misunderstanding each other, they would have been friends earlier.. Plus he didn't want to lose the opportunity again so he himself made himself as her friend before her say!! When Soo Ah did the same, he was clearly awkward n he just didn't wanna further associate!! Plus I have always seen him soo clear abt what he wants! The way he first said that he wasn't interested in gfs n stuff n now his friendship with MR n the way he vocally expresses his emotions for MR!! He is pretty much the honest n perfect guy irrespective of his outer beauty!! 

11 minutes ago, icyphoenix said:

I am with you on DKS.  

SA's strength is beauty .. which has zero value for DKS because he comes from lineage of drop dead gorgeous, unlike other boys who are mediocre. Now, what else could charm DKS - personality.. but the irony is for all her pretenses, DKS sees right through her.. so basically SA has nothing to offer to DKS that he can value. Every relationship needs something that makes involved party important to the relationship.

DKS doesn't care who is pretty and who is not. For that matter , he didn't like pretty people. Who knows maybe he paid attention to MR because she wasn't someone who reminded him of his mom like other pretty girls did/do.

1 hour ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

I am with you on DKS.  

SA's strength is beauty .. which has zero value for DKS because he comes from lineage of drop dead gorgeous, unlike other boys who are mediocre. Now, what else could charm DKS - personality.. but the irony is for all her pretenses, DKS sees right through her.. so basically SA has nothing to offer to DKS that he can value. Every relationship needs something that makes involved party important to the relationship.

DKS doesn't care who is pretty and who is not. For that matter , he didn't like pretty people. Who knows maybe he paid attention to MR because she wasn't someone who reminded him of his mom like other pretty girls did/do.

That's the thing which the show wants to highlight that most in our current society too consider girls based on looks criteria, they fail to recognize all the thing that shines can't be gold!! I pretty much like that concept!! 

I guess for DKS,  prettiness or beauty has some other criteria coz  really he felt MR was cute when she was in middle school n it wasn't a lip service, he actually blushed while saying it!! He truly thinks of her as pretty.. Well, the show beautifully demonstrates some people unique like DKS too exist in the Society where people r just for outer beauty! 

The stills for today's episode look so cute! I'm glad Mi Rae and Kyung Seok will be working together. I hope this means we'll get a little more of Mi Rae working towards her career goals as well, because I think dramas often fall into the trap of letting the female lead fade into the background a little in favor of the male lead's story in the second half.

Dlbin6bUYAEsqFC.jpg

MR is on the journey of discovering her true self.

It has been there but overshadowed by the need to live up to societal standard.

The moment she drunkenly said "seeing them together" makes her happy, the theme  of the drama was established.

Inner beauty not the outward one defines everybody.

Yah, cosmetic surgery is good but survey has shown that more commits suicide after getting procedures done cos they were more depressed post surgery than pre surgery.

So that shows that altering your looks don't actually define u.

I think that is what this drama is trying to portray cos it's an endemic situation in Korea these days.

All the mothers who act in k drama depends so much on plastic surgery or shoots to get juicy roles. No exception. The men are a bit better.  That's how bad they value their bodies.

5 hours ago, alekaonu said:

Annyeong @xxPeepsxx chingu, sorry to disturb when you were almost asleep. Then you should only do the video the next day. :D Nomu gomawo for the video and the translations. Your hangumal is good ahhhhh. Are you a hanguksaram or you have taken a class before?

No and no. 

I just have been watching too much of K dramas. Haha. Learnt through osmosis and refined it through volunteering translations. And howtolearnkorean.com

It's a really good site. Just put in the hours and you'll be asking the restaurant ajumma for the best dish and taxi ajusshi-s for the best places to go in no time. Haha.

I liked that the last episode focused on DKS and his wish of becoming independent. This underlines his similarity to his mother. NHS left her husband because she felt trapped and treated like a doll. She had a huge sense of independence which her husband never realized. DSW only saw her beauty and not her "brain" and good personality. This also explains why he got the "hots" after meeting her. He is still physically attracted by her. All this outlines his superficiality and his selfishness. Striking is the last episode even illustrated how controlling DKS's father is. He tried to bribe the daughter (bag and computer) but his attempt failed for two reasons. The driver and secretary made a mistake, when he bought the bag believing that the bag was in reality a gift for the ex-wife. Since it was not a popular bag for teenagers, this showed that the father never paid attention to the need and wishes of the daughter which is true. The father didn't spend one minute for that bag. His gesture indicates his lack of love and attention. Since the congressman Do mentioned the mother at the same time, his daughter realized the intention of the sudden generosity from the father. She is not stupid. She gets aware that he is trying to control her.

Then DSW doesn't even question the motivation behind DKS's decision. He just believes that if he stops paying his tuition fees that DKS will come back home. He is underestimating many aspects:

- DKS wants to be independent... hence he never left the house in order to live with his mother. He is now looking for a job.  

- He doesn't want to become the bone of contention between his parents. If DKS had run away to his mother, the congressman would have blamed the mother (brainwashing DKS).   

- The mother has still connections to that university. I am quite sure that the professor Park might call her in order to announce that DKS's tuition fees were not paid. I can imagine that NHS will seize the opportunity. It would be great if DKS is unaware of all this, until the father makes another mistake again, like for example: going to DKS asking why he asked his mother for the tuition fees. ("After all I have done for you, I supported you for so many years and now you turn your back on me and you believe this woman.... She is trying to break us apart")

- At some point, the journalists could get notice that the congressman is not paying his son's tuition. This could become a hot topic, especially when he is trying to become the mayor!!

I guess, little by little DSW will lose his family and ends up alone. What an irony if he becomes the mayor but he has no one by his side! I wished to witness something like that. In that moment, DSW would be able to realize his superficiality and wrong thinking.

@kangminjae  

Agree. The female lead often falls back in favour of the main guy's story arc and irl that happens way to often…

@darr

Imo this drama wants to show people that it's also important with that people you surround yourself with. The love you give will come back to you. 

There will be always differences between the live action and the book/manga/comic or whatever but that process often results in an mediocre adaption. That's why I'm even more pleased how successful this adaption is. Imo one could think that the manhwa artist is directing this drama haha

Also did anyone wonder why they added MR friend to the mix? Well my explanation is the following:
In the manhwa there are a lot of inner thoughts and reflections which could've been shown in a more classic way like "character seems daydreaming, different facial expressions are shown and there is a fitting "voice over" to explain why. But in this drama they decided to create MR's friend which is a personification of "your inner voice" we all kinda have in your head. If you pay attention to all of Hyun-jung's lines it becomes even more apparent I find. 
Imo the decision to create this new character was a very good idea and it's a perfect example of how a good manhw-to-film adaption can be.

I'm sooo anticipating the next episode (like always haha) and I hope we'll get to see the rain scene this time or we'll strike right? XD

40 minutes ago, angelbeast90 said:

Why does SooAh need to tell Mirae that she like DKS they ain't even that close to each other even. KMR should not consider giving a fox's tail about taking responsibility for Sooah's declaration of affection towards DKS!!!

I think she will tell MR because she noticed that KS is a lot more affectionate and open towards MR. I think she can tell KS likes MR. thats why she told MR so she could back off, because MR is insecure so she will try to play with those emotions.. 

@bebebisous33,he has already lost them. The daughter is half way out. The son has seen through his charade and has emotionally detached from him while reconnecting with his mum. He don't talk much but is very calcultive.

And the mum is giving him that choice to come to her willingly after she made the first attempt.

And MR is learning a lot from Ms Na.  They are so contrasting. Ms Na made a huge mistake by totally abandoning her children irrespective of what the husband labelled her to be or her quest to get her mojo back. Discovering who u are isn't a reason to abandon your children. They were not the problem. She would have looked for avenues to communicate with them. 

MR made the same mistake by engaging in cosmetic procedure. I'm happy they are learning from each other that little things like drinking together with those who loves u or care for u is more important than all the money, physical beauty and attention u can get in this world.

even tough I don´t like SA I think her moves is just gonna push MR and KS closer. I believe it is gonna be a catalyst for some reflection about what they feel for each other. Beside i think MR need KS to tell her about his feelings for her, because she have deep rooted insecurity witch make it hard for her to think about him liking her that way. His subtile way of showing his feelings is not big enough for her to get the message loud and clear.  I also think him  telling about his feelings is also important growth from his side to from who he was when we meet him. 

57 minutes ago, soesje said:

I think she will tell MR because she noticed that KS is a lot more affectionate and open towards MR. I think she can tell KS likes MR. thats why she told MR so she could back off, because MR is insecure so she will try to play with those emotions.. 

Someone needs to tell off SooAh to back off before her schemes backfires. She should be careful running after all the boys coz someone as weird as her might start paying attention with fatal attraction!!

I too think too much voice over would ruin the atmosphere of the drama. So there for we need KMR bestfriend Hyun-jung'  who mirrors and voices her thoughts. But I need her becoming a rap artist realized in this drama. Maybe she will join an entertainment agency suddenly and then she comes busking in KMR's Uni!! I would not mind if this happens rather than a loveline for her!:D

Looking back at the character SA, I can see that she is craving attention. She, MR,Ms Na has similar problems but using different methods to achieve them. 

She isn't really bad as in being bad. She works, is polite but sly. Her sly character is the problem. She is desperately trying to hide her background like MR cos she want to appear to the world with false identity. I won't be surprised if she came from a broken home. She wished for a life of affluence and connection. 

She too is very insecure.

Archived