[Drama 2018] My ID is Gangnam Beauty, 내 ID는 강남미인

0ly40

It did not end well I was stalked for about a month until I went to the university authorities. I tried to handle it but it became a bit bad and I got afraid so I reported it. Of course for the next 4 years people made up whatever stories they wanted about me and most were not very nice but one learned to be grateful for the friends one had.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone! I started watching this because I wanted something light and frothy, and while I am squeeing along with everyone as the OTP draw closer, I am pretty impressed with the themes so far, and how the young actors are making the most of their characters.

In particular, I am looking forward to seeing CEO Na's back story. My guess is 

Spoiler

that she was actually suicidal herself and walked out of her home to kill herself - which is why we see her on the bridge, without a bag, just walking. My conjecture is that she's dolled up because by that time in her life, she probably felt that was all she was worth - her chemistry work accomplishments gone because she had to stay home to take care of the kids, the possibility of a career dead because she lost her sense of smell due to the domestic abuse, and her marriage loveless because the husband does not care.

So in essence, when she was speaking with Mi-rae on the bridge, she was looking at an inverted mirror - someone who had everything ahead of her, but who felt she was ugly. 

By reassuring Mi-rae, CEO Na essentially saved herself; they saved each other on that bridge that fateful day so many years ago.

Eta: My theory also goes to explain why I am willing to give CEO Na a bit of a pass for "abandoning" her children; when you are literally the walking dead, you can't take any one along with you because it would be killing them too.

I'll post some other thoughts on the other characters in a bit; still digesting the idea of Soo-A's distasteful but fair comment on plastic surgery and pretty girls.

i’ve been slow with the recent episodes (just finished ep9) and i was giggling like mad when KS looked so smug and in triumph when his mom asked him to carry the drunk MR instead of YW :lol: i like how he is so direct with MR telling her not to drink more than 3 glasses if he is not around cos he doesnt like other men to carry her :P gosh, so swooned :heart:

9 hours ago, darr said:

Very happy for the ratings. The drama is really popular. 

After watching episode 10, what I was complaining about the mum was established.

I'm so happy she realised her mistakes and is making amendments.

She still has to know at a point that financial empowerment and achievements doesn't equate loving oneself. She should learn to love herself at all time else if a situation like before occurs,she will still abandon her children all in the name of self discovery. How can u love others when u dont love yourself? 

Easier said than done.

And i see people doing this in real life, shaming a woman when she prioritizes her career over traditional wife expectations. nObody bothers to check that husband probably is in a situation to share the burden of the work, is in a situation to give more time at home but people just assume that a woman is a bad mother if she is a career woman.

And in case of drama, suffocation was worse and real.

The man , irrespective of kids, wanted to stifle her freedom - financial, emotional, and physical. This isn't about self discovery alone or insecurities.. its real depression and suffocation

And add to the fact that dad cut all avenues for her to meet her kids

dead grandma , alive parents, independent living

Vs

dead parents, alive grandma, independent living

This is so going to come back to bite her in her .. :P that too from the two people who dislike her the most because they see her for who she is

6 hours ago, roseeflower said:

This is a really nice fanvideo :

Yes, I was just coming here to post that video. What a beautiful and heartbreaking interpretation of what the show's about. 

8 hours ago, soesje said:

There is one scene that left me wondering if MR is unconsciously aware that KS is possessive and jealous when it comes to her..

its the scene where the guy asks if she works out because she looks fit and later tells KS that the guy asked if she had any trouble while working... 

That's an excellent point. Mi Rae had no reason to lie about what the coworker said unless she knew Kyung Seok would have a negative reaction. In that case, it would be understandable for him to be protective but... In these last two episodes he's been unnecessarily possessive and jealous, hopefully only because he's coming to terms with his feelings.

I love KS and find his jealousy adorable, but it's also not something that should continue as they progress in their relationship lol. I would like Mi Rae to call him out on it the way she did the wrist-grabbing in episode 3.

4 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

i’ve been slow with the recent episodes (just finished ep9) and i was giggling like mad when KS looked so smug and in triumph when his mom asked him to carry the drunk MR instead of YW :lol: i like how he is so direct with MR telling her not to drink more than 3 glasses if he is not around cos he doesnt like other men to carry her :P gosh, so swooned :heart:

His smug look is adorable and hilarious.. Like when he told WY he tucked MR in bed, and his smirk when he was thinking back to it at the grocery store LOL. And when he tells the kid on the bus he should remember his name and he's MR's bf HAHA. omg loved that episode! Now they just need to get together already.. only 6 more episodes!! I need to see some skinship/lovey dovey romance scenes before it all ends!!! 

1 hour ago, kangminjae said:

Do you guys think we will get some kisses in the drama, lol? They've been moving pretty slow, which I love, but I may tear my hair out if the show ends with them just getting together and no epic kiss. :sweatingbullets:

I'll be massively disappointed if there was no kiss. I don't care if it's a frozen kiss and just a peck. GIVE US SOMETHING PDNIM!! Chebal!!

Hopefully we can see a hug really soon! I mean, we're halfway there with all that catching of MR and piggyback work DS is doing! 

1 hour ago, kangminjae said:

Do you guys think we will get some kisses in the drama, lol? They've been moving pretty slow, which I love, but I may tear my hair out if the show ends with them just getting together and no epic kiss. :sweatingbullets:

I love their relationship too.  I agree it's slow but with the character's personalities it feels like the right pace.  But I'm worried about the kiss scene too.  I'm positive we will have at least one especially if they follow the webtoon but it will be pretty sad if they end with a statue kiss where the lips don't even move.  Hoping Cha Eun Woo's idol status doesn't limit the kiss to the kind that they feel won't offend his fans.  It would be nice to have one, if not more, worthy of a good romance drama.  

I'm looking forward to the start of them dating.  It will be nice to see them really happy when they initially get together but I expect something will threaten their relationship like all cliche storylines before they are together permanently at the end.  

I love a couple of comment on dramabeans about KS :

1. He's literally sleepwalking during all this years after his mother left the family. Only after meeting MR he started to 'wake up' and enjoying life as it is. Reuniting with his mom is a bonus. He's basically starting to learn how to be a grown up, thanks to these 2 important persons and also WY-hyung.

2. KS is a genuine person and he's attracted to genuine people - Mirae, his mom, his bar friend and WY. All these people are real people who don't use other people for personal gain. So he clicks with them naturally considering how socially inept he is. And he's such a fast learner I'm basking in his new-found social skills. With that, he can sense fakeness 100miles away - SA and his dad.

8 minutes ago, kodomonojikan said:

I love their relationship too.  I agree it's slow but with the character's personalities it feels like the right pace.  But I'm worried about the kiss scene too.  I'm positive we will have at least one especially if they follow the webtoon but it will be pretty sad if they end with a statue kiss where the lips don't even move.  Hoping Cha Eun Woo's idol status doesn't limit the kiss to the kind that they feel won't offend his fans.  It would be nice to have one, if not more, worthy of a good romance drama.  

I'm looking forward to the start of them dating.  It will be nice to see them really happy when they initially get together but I expect something will threaten their relationship like all cliche storylines before they are together permanently at the end.  

I have heard the idol comments before, and I guess I've never actually watched a drama where this was an issue. Hopefully no one will be offended, because we deserve a nice kiss or two. B) I actually just realized no one's gotten to kiss anyone yet, lmao, so at least they're making it even for now. Plus, they've been including the iconic webtoon scenes so far, so they better not skimp out at the end!

I agree that it'll be super cute to see the start of their relationship, and hopefully we'll get to see them navigating the awkward waters of a first romance for both of them.

who knows.. maybe the kiss comes popping in as a part of MR dreaming scene? hahaha :tounge_xd: u know she has been thinking to herself a lot these days!! i was hoping for a kiss when their hands touched during the movie popcorn scene but, she din let her imagination run wild enough LOLx

I don't want dream kiss!! I want real kiss plus lots of dating stuff n romantic stuff! :wub: PDnim chaebal!! 

2 hours ago, amisyka77 said:

I love a couple of comment on dramabeans about KS :

1. He's literally sleepwalking during all this years after his mother left the family. Only after meeting MR he started to 'wake up' and enjoying life as it is. Reuniting with his mom is a bonus. He's basically starting to learn how to be a grown up, thanks to these 2 important persons and also WY-hyung.

2. KS is a genuine person and he's attracted to genuine people - Mirae, his mom, his bar friend and WY. All these people are real people who don't use other people for personal gain. So he clicks with them naturally considering how socially inept he is. And he's such a fast learner I'm basking in his new-found social skills. With that, he can sense fakeness 100miles away - SA and his dad.

Gosh these two comments r made for our chic DKS!! The first comment is hilarious!! Mi Rae woke him up from sleep as if DKS is Sleeping Beauty!! I would have been more happy if they followed the same suit of the Sleeping Beauty :ph34r:Lolz 

25 minutes ago, icyphoenix said:

I don't want dream kiss!! I want real kiss plus lots of dating stuff n romantic stuff! :wub: PDnim chaebal!! 

As much as I want to see more of MR dreaming up situations with KS, I can't imagine they would do a dream kiss before a real one. Mi Rae's too innocent for that, plus it takes away from the impact of the real kiss. If anything, she's trying to imagine kissing him and then something interrupts lol. That could be cute.

But we for sure have to get a real first kiss!

36 minutes ago, kangminjae said:

As much as I want to see more of MR dreaming up situations with KS, I can't imagine they would do a dream kiss before a real one. Mi Rae's too innocent for that, plus it takes away from the impact of the real kiss. If anything, she's trying to imagine kissing him and then something interrupts lol. That could be cute.

But we for sure have to get a real first kiss!

Yeah!! That would be amazing! When they start dating too, it can happen! They might be secretly dating n sneaking up during classes n trying to kiss but interrupted by others.. Typical scenario but still it wud be cute:wub:

Archived