[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

3 hours ago, MoonPrincess said:

I only read some parts of the book;

So the battle with ML was in Bihai Cangling in the book. so does that mean the Fanyin valley wasn't destroyed and the royals didn't die?
In the drama they changed it to the scene to Fanyin valley and why is that?

That is correct. It was fought at the Holy Blue Sea For the  purpose of dramatisation they made the change.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

In the translation, Tianjun is called Sky Emperor. He colluded with or covered up incidents Su Jin is involved with against Su Su BQ. 

The translation of Toland though isn't as detailed compared to TMOPB drama or TPB novel. Unless maybe with another translation as close as possible to the original text, it's a bit difficult for us non Mandarin speakers/readers to determine which was added, which part followed the novel in the drama adaptation.

Suddenly I understood. “The reason Dumpling’s mother jumped from the punishment platform has something to do with Su Jin, doesn’t it?” I wondered out loud, interrupting Nai Nai.

Nai Nai’s face turned white, and she fell silent. “The Sky Emperor issued a decree that expressly forbids us from discussing this matter,” she said at last. “The Sky Emperor sent all the immortal attendants who knew about the incident to an immortal mountain far away from the Sky Palace.” (TTSK, ch17, p302)

How even Sang Ji the favourite son, couldn't make Tianjun see reason:

The Sky Emperor was not yet aware that his son had been brazen enough to leave a letter in the foxhole, breaking off the engagement. He was still hoping that for the sake of these two clans’ friendship, he might be able to resolve things, covering up the hornet’s nest that his second son had stirred up. One bright and clear afternoon, the Sky Emperor came to a decision. He grabbed Shao Xin, who doting Sang Ji had ensured had been treated very well in the Ninth Sky up until that point, and locked her up in the demon tower.

Sang Ji was extremely upset when he found out what his father had done. He rushed to the Sky Emperor’s bedchamber and knelt down outside it for two whole days, until his knees were covered in bruises. All he had managed to get out of the Sky Emperor was that the little ba snake was just a good-for-nothing demon spirit who not only had the audacity to seduce the Sky Emperor’s second son, but had also caused huge waves during peacetime. According to the sky regulations, her punishment should have been having her spiritually cultivated energy destroyed and being banished to the mortal world, never to rise back up as an immortal. (TTSK, ch19, pp350-351)

I will be careful about quoting from Toland’s version. Quite a bit of translation is not quite there. 

Also someone said Ye Hua’s POV Is an epilogue. It’s not an epilogue but an outtake and not part of the written text in the published copy. It is an extra addition for fans to appreciate Ye Hua’s POV as the story was written in Bai Qian’s POV only.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Ninky said:

I will be careful about quoting from Toland’s version. Quite a bit of translation is not quite there. 

Also someone said Ye Hua’s POV Is an epilogue. It’s not an epilogue but an outtake and not part of the written text in the published copy. It is an extra addition for fans to appreciate Ye Hua’s POV as the story was written in Bai Qian’s POV only.

Qouting Toland should always be with a disclaimer. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

That is correct. It was fought at the Holy Blue Sea For the  purpose of dramatisation they made the change.

4 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

In the drama adaptation, the Fanyin Valley was destroyed and all Bird and Owl clan royals who stayed perished. Note that in Ep50, they have known beforehand that they will die when they asked DH for his permission.

Fanyin Valley in the book is described as the last place on earth still pure enough to absorb toxins from Huiming realm. (PB1, p182)

...Every ten years Dijun used the lecture at Fanyin Valley as a pretext to come and purify the three toxins inside the Huiming Realm. Each time Dijun came here in the past, he had brought with him Zhonglin. But he didn't do so this time, and Zhonglin worried for the King's daily comfort.(PB1, p182)

A possible reason why the drama adaptation changed the location of the final battle to Fanyin Valley could be because it's depicted as the place where DH purifies Huiming Realm. 

Another reason though which is more likely, is that the battle in Bihai Cangling as described in the book requires more budget for CGI effects.

A transparent silvery wall was erected from the ground next to the marsh. As stars continuously fell down from the sky like withering flowers, they affixed onto the wall and made it seem as though it was a barrier made from starlight. Behind the wall, crashing blue waves were rising high. On the crest of a wave, a sword-wielding purple-robed deity was engaged in a fierce battle with a demoness who used a red sash as her weapon. 

The black miasma behind the demoness coalesced into a three-tailed python that behaved like a giant beast with its own cognizance. It was recklessly seeking opportunities to attack the wall in order to destroy and break free from the confinement. At times, the silver light behind the purple-robed deity turned into a dragon, at times a phoenix, other times a unicorn, determinedly fighting off the three-tailed python. (PB2, p474)

So in the book fanyin valley wasn't destroyed and the all bird and owl royals didn't die?

• Like 1

Look what I found in the text!! I can't believe Hamster would cut this out, bolded is what I added: 

As if Fengjiu had been burned by an open fire, in a flash, she rolled to the edge of the bed. She laughed unnaturally and said, “Well, that was just me and Chen Ye singing a play to provoke you. I didn't expect you to be provoked by this.”

Here's the original: 凤九似被明火烫到,瞬间滚到睡榻边儿上,口中不自然地打着哈哈道:“那个嘛,我同沉晔唱台戏激一激你罢了,没想到你这样经不得激。”

I did feel like the transition was a bit too abrupt the first time I read Hamster's text. Now I know why. :/

• Like 3
  • Naughty 1
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

As if Fengjiu had been burned by an open fire, in a flash, she rolled to the edge of the bed. She laughed unnaturally and said, “Well, that was just me and Chen Ye singing a play to provoke you. I didn't expect you to be provoked by this.”

Thank you. :) Those who've read the book would know this part so well. :D

:yaaa:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

18 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Thank you. :) Those who've read the book would know this part so well. :D

That's why I posted it, I thought someone might appreciate it. :grin:

I'm working my way through the *following* part right now, and god, I'm cringing so hard (I'm sorry, I usually skim through it, don't fight me LOL), reading through and listening to it because I have to look at it so closely to make it more accurate. 

:nonono:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

I'm working my way through the *following* part right now, and god, I'm cringing so hard (I'm sorry, I usually skim through it, don't fight me LOL), reading through and listening to it because I have to look at it so closely to make it more accurate. 

I can imagine, especially the listening part. Hahahaha! 

:eating:

• LOL 3

4 hours ago, triplesung said:

This is better than their kissing scenes. Their kissing scenes does not give me a lot of "butterflies" but this does and much more. My poor pillow has been shouted on, bitten on, stretched on and thrown at every direction because of this scene alone.

True..their Eskimo and DH Forehead's kisses always give me a "butterflies" . in fact it has had more effects than all the supposedly "hot kissed" (I've seen a lots) scenes from all the dramas I've been watches namely Kdrama + Cdrama+ Thais +Philippines +Hong Kong + Singapore + Japanese+ Spanyol + Turkish+Taiwan.. :D none of them can compared to Dongfeng mutual attractions in ELOD'S

Dongfeng's affectionates lovingly sweets , the sparks in their eyes, lingering caresses was the best..

As for Dongfeng's hot kissed in EP 35 ( rolling kiss) and Episode 42( cave )...even until today those scenes still gave me a "goosebumps" and the feels was lasting even just to think or remember about it .I mean it been months already but the effects was still the same.

And Dongfeng's (DH)sweet lovingly kissed (4 forehead's + 1 nose kiss) in Ep52 on mark 24:48 - 26: 18  I was so captivated and mesmerized by those scenes. It so fulfilling and satisfying scenes to watched between two lovers who were deeply in love with each other.. zero awkwardness and Guangre nailed it!.

:heart3:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, triplesung said:

This is better than their kissing scenes. Their kissing scenes does not give me a lot of "butterflies" but this does and much more. My poor pillow has been shouted on, bitten on, stretched on and thrown at every direction because of this scene alone.

If your pillow can speak...:blush:

:shivers:

• LOL 3

47 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

Dongfeng's affectionates lovingly sweets , the sparks in their eyes, lingering caresses was the best..

They're so gentle yet so passionate at the same time.

:heart:

Many equate torrid or French kissing as basis of intense passion, but that isn't true for DH and FJ.

Intense passion is how they look at each other before and after kissing,  as if their eyes are saying "in all eternity, I am yours forever, and you're my beloved for always." 

:heart4:

• Like 3
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

I can imagine, especially the listening part. Hahahaha!

ROFL I wound up not even being able to do that! I swear, the lady reading the book out sped up when it reached *that* part so I just couldn't keep up (I have to listen on 0.75x speed as it is), so I actually had to go through the text line by line. :crybaby:

By the way, there are a few lines in that section that Hamster clearly abridged. You might not even notice it (depending on how well you know that part) if you weren't reading to two texts side by side, but methinks she was uncomfortable too. :Megalol:

Also there was one thing in the text, it was in *that* scene too, that I'm really at a loss trying to translate and Google isn't giving me an answer either. If anyone who knows Chinese can help me out, that would be great. :)

Text:

"... 将人引得如此情动。

对了,情动。"

The part that is making me like ????????? is "情动." I resorted to Google translate, which is giving me something like "love in action" but I have no clue what that might even mean or how it could fit into the sentence. If the characters were reversed, I would probably go with "falling in love" but somehow that doesn't seem appropriate here. And all my Mandarin is from formal schooling (neither of my parents nor any of my friends use it) and I'm a total ABC, so that probably doesn't help. :sweatingbullets:

Oof, text wall. XD

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

11 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Look what I found in the text!! I can't believe Hamster would cut this out, bolded is what I added: 

Here's the original: 凤九似被明火烫到,瞬间滚到睡榻边儿上,口中不自然地打着哈哈道:“那个嘛,我同沉晔唱台戏激一激你罢了,没想到你这样经不得激。”

I did feel like the transition was a bit too abrupt the first time I read Hamster's text. Now I know why. :/

That’s why I said we will do the famous scenes translation again. There are many many scenes with the same problem.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Text:

"... 将人引得如此情动。

对了,情动。"

Google translator can be so funny or confusing! :sweatingbullets: In MS translator, I got 

Draw people so emotional.That's right, it's sentimental.

Spoiler

Let me try... That "love in action" of Google translate might be "acts of love", "acts of loving", "lovingly act", "affectionate act", "lovingly move", or "affectionately move"?

31 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

情动

Emotional 

Spoiler

This one... "Full of emotions", "brimming with emotions", "feel so much"?

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

53 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

ROFL I wound up not even being able to do that! I swear, the lady reading the book out sped up when it reached *that* part so I just couldn't keep up (I have to listen on 0.75x speed as it is), so I actually had to go through the text line by line. :crybaby:

By the way, there are a few lines in that section that Hamster clearly abridged. You might not even notice it (depending on how well you know that part) if you weren't reading to two texts side by side, but methinks she was uncomfortable too. :Megalol:

Also there was one thing in the text, it was in *that* scene too, that I'm really at a loss trying to translate and Google isn't giving me an answer either. If anyone who knows Chinese can help me out, that would be great. :)

Text:

"... 将人引得如此情动。

对了,情动。"

The part that is making me like ????????? is "情动." I resorted to Google translate, which is giving me something like "love in action" but I have no clue what that might even mean or how it could fit into the sentence. If the characters were reversed, I would probably go with "falling in love" but somehow that doesn't seem appropriate here. And all my Mandarin is from formal schooling (neither of my parents nor any of my friends use it) and I'm a total ABC, so that probably doesn't help. :sweatingbullets:

Oof, text wall. XD

情动 doesn’t mean falling in love. It means “stir up passion”. In the context of the lovemaking scene, it is an appropriate place to use it. 

Basically, Dong Hua stirred up the passionate feelings she didn’t know she had.

:doggie:

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

I think Hamster may have misinterpreted some parts of the scene. It’s a love scene so ahem! Some parts are rather awkward to translate.

:crybaby:

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

17 minutes ago, Ninky said:

情动 doesn’t mean falling in love. It means “stir up passion”. In the context of the lovemaking scene, it is an appropriate place to use it. 

Basically, Dong Hua stirred up the passionate feelings she didn’t know she had.

Thank you so much! Now I know why I couldn't quite put that together on my own. :sweatingbullets: :fingerheartx:

18 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Let me try... That "love in action" of Google translate might be "acts of love", "acts of loving", "lovingly act", "affectionate act", "lovingly move", or "affectionately move"?

Well, definitely on the right track! I was sitting there for like 15 minutes just going :nonono: because I'd never seen those words in that order before. I was sort of thinking in the same direction, but clearly it wasn't working. Going through the book for sure made the gaps in my vocabulary more obvious to me, pity my exposure to Mandarin is so limited. 

• Like 6