[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

On 6/17/2020 at 11:22 PM, jimmylyne said:

Love your post.. it's make me sappy..

It make me want to re-read the books and re-watched the drama again..

And i want to re-read Dongfeng's story in mini outtakes :wub:.

DH goes to court after 200 yrs "resting" to flaunt his gown/robe that FJ made for him.

DH used FJ as his hug pillow ...lol we all know what happened after that.

200 days wedding

@Megan they both made a mistake , unwise decisions due to certain circumstances.

They are together at the end... happily ever after.. Their love stronger than ever.

They completed each other..

They truly do. They are imperfect, in their perfect ways. 

FJ can be percieved as fun loving, impulsive, strong headed and uncontrollable to some people. FJ is also empathetic, loyal, loving and forgiving. FJ tries hard to understand from other people's point of view.

At a glance, FJ and DH appear to be a bad fit, but FJ characteristics is exactly what DH need. 

FJ with her easy going and playful nature brings joy into DH's life.

DH need fun in his life and he pranks people to get that. This is because 99% of the deities are respectful of him and will only be on their best behaviour around him. 

Sigh...I have so much to write about, but no time to do it.

Anyhow  FJ and DH is the only couple I do not question. They love each other equally and they balance each others needs.

On 6/18/2020 at 12:46 AM, Ninky said:

@ChibiLy 

You have eloquently put into words what I also feel. This post totally gives me all the feels. Thank you.

Love and relationships are seldom black and white.

And sometimes, it may not align to our values.

The beautiful thing about Tang Qi’s writing is that she can be pretty insightful. She is able to understand that love may not necessarily come in the same standard package.

She lets us see love from various perspectives and she allows her characters to learn and grow over the course of the story from start to finish.

Believe it or not but her side characters also learn and grow together with the main characters as well. This is especially clear in her latest story Lotus Step. But it can also be seen in the Pillow Book.

I agree with you. Tang Qi is a master of character development.

I can only judge from reading The Pillow Book, and she did a fantastic job. Her characters are very consistent in terms of their choices, thoughts and behaviour. Even though I may not agree with the choices that some characters made, at least it is logical from the character's perspective. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

2 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Was it not Lian Song who said: "He will probably make me spit it all out." ? :lol:;) 

Ahahaha, that means it extends to other dishes too. Partly Lian Song's fault the first time, why did he not even leave a portion for DH? Oh yeah, better not let DH know that the chopsticks LS used was also used by FJ. :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

10 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

I enjoyed watching this drama but still think that the best is the first one: Three Lives Three Worlds, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms.

I think I am getting bored of those plots because there are more and more of plot basing by reincarnation, I mean it became repetitive so you get used to those plot...

But anyway, it was a good drama to watch even if some moments are boring...

Have you read the book? If not, you may want to check it out. :) In some parts it beats the drama imo.

I also love TMOPB! It's what started it all. XianXian drama's have the same themes but I think within this genre both drama's stand out.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Ahahaha, that means it extends to other dishes too. Partly Lian Song's fault the first time, why did he not even leave a portion for DH? Oh yeah, better not let DH know that the chopsticks LS used was also used by FJ. :lol:

Oh! I was thinking the same thing while watching! :vicx: LS might want to concider going into prolonged seclusion meditating on his wrongs if DJ finds out. ;)

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

14 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

I agree with you. Tang Qi is a master of character development.

I can only judge from reading The Pillow Book, and she did a fantastic job. Her characters are very consistent in terms of their choices, thoughts and behaviour. Even though I may not agree with the choices that some characters made, at least it is logical from the character's perspective. 

I second that! 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

I enjoyed watching this drama but still think that the best is the first one: Three Lives Three Worlds, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms.

I think I am getting bored of those plots because there are more and more of plot basing by reincarnation, I mean it became repetitive so you get used to those plot...

Fair observation.  There are many series based on reincarnation. But this is because many of the ancient series are based on Chinese mythology and reincarnation plays a huge part.

ELOD is based on The Pillow Book novel. The novel is classified as romance genre. Tang Qi, the author herself stated she want this novel to focus on the romance compared to TMOPB. I think she achieved that. In ELOD, the main focus is on the development of the main leads and their relationship.  So there are less action and more scenes between the main leads. 

I personally enjoy ELOD alot more than TMOPB. I love DH and FJ as a couple. But that is my personal preference,  since I dislike politics and scheming.

I also have no issue with the general reincarnation plot. I focus on the character development and chemistry between the main leads.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

47 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Glad you enjoyed watching the drama adaptations of Tang Qi's TPB and TMOPB. :) Both have their own charms and beauty, and both also have flaws. By the way, have you also read the novels ELOD and TMOPB are based on?

The author of the books weaved her stories around the Buddhist concept of three lives three worlds. Hence, the three lives portion of the stories would touch the past life, present life, and future life. The three worlds on the other hand are the world of desires, world of forms, and world of formlessness, and is closely associated with rebirth and reincarnation.

TQ used the concept of three lives three worlds as the mainframe for her stories, and to further delve on the concept of fate, destiny, the six sufferings, life, and death through the characters in their growth and development in her novels.

There's a third book in the three lives three worlds universe getting released soon, called the Lotus Steps. Should you be interested to find out more, the forum's blog has posted the translated prologue at https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home . You'll read about familiar characters there from TMOPB. :)

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3

1 minute ago, ChibiLy said:

ELOD is based on The Pillow Book novel. The novel is classified as romance genre. Tang Qi, the author herself stated she want this novel to focus on the romance compared to TMOPB. I think she achieved that. In ELOD, the main focus is on the development of the main leads and their relationship.  So there are less action and more scenes between the main leads. 

I think that is why it's hard (for me) to compare both books.

I generally don't like stories that are politicaly minded with a "scheme theme"

But then again, I loved Saiunkoku monogatari (anime and novels) It's the pace, balance and characters development that kept me watching. No matter how much action there is in a story, too much of something just makes it bland imo.

TQ really builds up her story through her characters. Nothing happens without reason and sometimes the clues are in the details.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

Hum...:coolshades:

I think I will start to read the book since it seems that I will find more interesting story in the book that may interest me ^3^

I do like the author's writing because the novel version of TMOPB was awesome to read, I even bought the book from Vietnam haha. She really knows how to create fascinating history based on the mythology. Each characters from the book has their own personalities, stories and the way she develops each of them is so smooth. 

I was such a fan that I even read the manhua version haha. 

I will definitely check the novel version for ELOD!!

• Like 5
  • Awesome 2

4 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Hum...:coolshades:

I think I will start to read the book since it seems that I will find more interesting story in the book that may interest me ^3^

I do like the author's writing because the novel version of TMOPB was awesome to read, I even bought the book from Vietnam haha. She really knows how to create fascinating history based on the mythology. Each characters from the book has their own personalities, stories and the way she develops each of them is so smooth. 

I was such a fan that I even read the manhua version haha. 

I will definitely check the novel version for ELOD!!

Should you want the English translation for The Pillow Book, you can download it from https://hamster428.wordpress.com/tag/pillow-book/ . Happy reading!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Morpheus said:

Oh thank you!! But it's okay I already found it in Vietnamese but thanks a lot hahaha ^^

If after you've read the novel in Vietnamese and have withdrawel symptons it's fun to compare translations. You may find something new...Trust me...it's a thing... B)  called obsession

Ninky, another board member and translator contributing in this topic and on the https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home

page has translated some parts directly from the Chinese version and we have been enlightened around here. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, ChibiLy said:

Fair observation.  There are many series based on reincarnation. But this is because many of the ancient series are based on Chinese mythology and reincarnation plays a huge part.

I personally enjoy ELOD alot more than TMOPB. I love DH and FJ as a couple. But that is my personal preference,  since I dislike politics and scheming.

I also have no issue with the general reincarnation plot. I focus on the character development and chemistry between the main leads.

I detested that Tianjun, who's supposed to be impartial and fair, schemed with Su Jin. His judgment is so clouded that even his own grandsons were not spared. 

I think he's equal or even worse than Qing Qang who used his children as vats for gaining cultivation in his favour.

I'm not a fan of politicking and constant one-upmanship, so I'm quite grateful that those were brief enough in mortal realm (Prince Ying) and Aranya's dream (Qinghua). 

As for Su Jin and Ji Heng, they lied and schemed against the wrong high god and goddess. <_< Su Jin deserves the eternal banishment from the celestial realm. Ji Heng is forever confined in the demon realm.

• Like 4

Who's the most talented artist in all realms?

Bai Yi :) 

On the glass ceiling beam hung a chandelier which illuminated the entire room as bright as daytime. Within walking distance, a purple-robed  man stood in front of an empty virginal canvas while a white-robed woman sat by the desk busying herself with a painting. From afar, they made a picture-perfect mural, one which would have been painted by her own father – the most talented artist of all realms. (PB1, pp148-149)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

I think that is why it's hard (for me) to compare both books.

I generally don't like stories that are politicaly minded with a "scheme theme"

But then again, I loved Saiunkoku monogatari (anime and novels) It's the pace, balance and characters development that kept me watching. No matter how much action there is in a story, too much of something just makes it bland imo.

TQ really builds up her story through her characters. Nothing happens without reason and sometimes the clues are in the details.

This is very clear in Lotus Step. Once I load  Chapter one, you will see her talent in world and character development. Chapter One should be up this weekend.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

6 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Whats funnier in the drama was the way he threw down his chopsticks in a huff!!!

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

8 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Whats funnier in the drama was the way he threw down his chopsticks in a huff!!!

It makes you wonder whether he already started to develop feelings when he looked so disappointed all her fish was gone.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

14 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Can't blame the guy, he was thinking he will finally...finally have a decent sweet and sour fish! But for just a moment of a trip down memory lane, Lian Song ate everything to the bones!

:evillaugh: :loolz:

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Insightful 1

Out of curiosity, say GG is like FJ when she is sick. He keeps crying in bed he wants his mummy. What will Dong Hua do? His Son is sick and is crying for mummy. Will he let GG sleep with her for a change?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Megan said:

Out of curiosity, say GG is like FJ when she is sick. He keeps crying in bed he wants his mummy. What will Dong Hua do? His Son is sick and is crying for mummy. Will he let GG sleep with her for a change?

For sure DH will. He would know the feelings all too well of growing up without parents to comfort and protect him. He will also attend to his son's needs.

FJ will want to be with her baby too. Not even DH can stop her when it comes to taking care of their toddler.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1