[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

9 hours ago, Megan said:

Here is a “would you rather” game.

would you rather eat Dong Hua’s infamous sweet and sour fish or eat Jiheng’s soup?

would you rather babysit Ali or babysit Gun Gun?

would you rather eat food made by Ye Hua or Feng Jiu?

DH's sweet and sour fish (although I'm kind of afraid but I'll take it as a challenge)

BGG ( I am intrigued by his brilliant mind )

FJ ( She loves cooking " Cooked with love" Must be taste like heaven )

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Megan said:

Would you rather:

1) learn swordfighting from Dong Hua (brutal training) or cooking from Feng Jiu (you get to eat your own food)

2) watch plays with Bai Qian or listen to the gossip trio?

3) educate Xiao Yan or help Lian Song woo Cheng Yu (warning, in both cases, fists are likely to be brandished)

1) FJ . I love cooking.

2) Gossip trio , because of mobile Bagua Manual (Siming). He knew three generations’ worth of every secret one's family could possibly have.

3) Although I am also keen to educate XY but it seem like LS really needed some advice how to wooing ,coaxing his love interest..so I will help LS..and also because his love interest is also FJ's BFF.

:lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

4 hours ago, Megan said:

Would you rather:

1) learn swordfighting from Dong Hua (brutal training) or cooking from Feng Jiu (you get to eat your own food)

3) educate Xiao Yan or help Lian Song woo Cheng Yu (warning, in both cases, fists are likely to be brandished)

1. Swordfighting. Earn grandpa's trust by being a good student, so that later on I can get FJ to teach me cooking without problems. 

2. Baguas all the time, you always learn something new from them. I might even learn something I don't know about me! :lol:

3. Xiao Yan's more malleable. Leave it to half-father DH to help in his half-son's very big mess with Cheng Yu. 

• LOL 3

I just skimmed through the fake wedding scene again. I have to say, when watching Zhihe get dragged to the front, I’m wondering what she was thinking.

all this time Zhihe has been protected by Dong Hua and did as she pleased. Now that she has committed such a grave offence, did she think Dong Hua would protect her? (Ok, she would have been exposed eventually but I bet she wanted to have her veil taken off when she was alone with Dong Hua) this was probably the first time when Zhihe realized her Brother was actually not going to let her off the hook. Hell, he even made her address him formally.

then while moping about her ruined plans in a dungeon, Dong Hua never came to save her.

then comes the trial. I think Zhihe still had a bit of hope that Dong Hua would come to her rescue. After all, she had been punished with a dungeon already!

but nope! Dong Hua saw he had raised her badly and she needs to learn a lesson. He doesn’t protest her exile.

the fact that Dong Hua would defend his innocent Best Friend but not his guilty Sister breaks her. Despite spending her life by his side, Dong Hua never cared about her beyond a debt to her parents.

then of course we come to her return to heaven. She tries to go back to Taichen Palace but Feng Jiu stops her. And Dong Hua doesn’t even try that hard to keep her around. How disappointing that must be for her.

finally, we get to the Bingcang ceremony. Zhihe is upset Dong Hua got married - and not to her! But when she tries to see him and protest, she instead learns that Dong Hua has already taken his Wife away. Here, we see Zhihe come to the realisation that she is no longer a part of Taichen Palace and that her crush has moved on without looking back.

serves her right for her cruel treatment. 

Though i am curious about how Zhihe and Dong Hua would interact after the Bingcang ceremony; before Dong Hua brings FJ to the blue sea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Megan said:

Hell, he even made her address him formally.

Playtime was over when the foster brother demanded that she address him as "His Majesty". :smirk:

3 hours ago, Megan said:

Dong Hua saw he had raised her badly and she needs to learn a lesson. He doesn’t protest her exile.

the fact that Dong Hua would defend his innocent Best Friend but not his guilty Sister breaks her. Despite spending her life by his side, Dong Hua never cared about her beyond a debt to her parent

One is innocent, while she's guilty of attempting to defraud her former ruler. Zhi He is beyond old enough to be tried and convicted. She is a fool to think DH will plead for her. Looking after someone doesn't extend to shielding from punishments due to crimes committed.

3 hours ago, Megan said:

She tries to go back to Taichen Palace but Feng Jiu stops her. And Dong Hua doesn’t even try that hard to keep her around.

That's Ji Heng, not Zhi He.

3 hours ago, Megan said:

Though i am curious about how Zhihe and Dong Hua would interact after the Bingcang ceremony; before Dong Hua brings FJ to the blue sea.

There was no interaction at all after Bingcang. If there was any, she would be expected to congratulate with gracefulness the emperor and his empress.

Zhi He ran off to Tai Chen Palace, drinking and asking everyone why DH married FJ. Finally, Zhong Lin told her that FJ is very good with sword, she can fight, and she's an excellent cook. Something Zhi He has no skills of. Zhong Lin also told her that compared to FJ, Zhi He is ugly. 

That is how she finally felt ashamed of herself and went back on her own to the mountain where she's living while serving her exile.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

No. Because remember how Zhihe danced for the emperor. But then Feng Jiu and Bai Zhen said Zhihe hadn’t earned the right to come back yet. Dong Hua then offered to go to war on Zhihe’s behalf.

later, as Zhihe is serving her Brother soup; he asks her to choose a date to leave.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

6 hours ago, Megan said:

No. Because remember how Zhihe danced for the emperor. But then Feng Jiu and Bai Zhen said Zhihe hadn’t earned the right to come back yet. Dong Hua then offered to go to war on Zhihe’s behalf.

later, as Zhihe is serving her Brother soup; he asks her to choose a date to leave.

Feng Jiu commented in response to Bai Qian's mock reprimand on why she's smiling that Qing Qiu immortals who broke the laws has to do something meritorious in order to be back in good graces, whereas in Jiuchongtian, talent can accomplish the same. The aunt and niece then "complimented" DH's volunteering to serve that he's doing it for Zhi He's parents and that his love for the foster sister is touching. Thereafter, Tianjun didn't proceed with the supposed pardon for Zhi He.

(***Bai Zhen instead of Bai Qian in adaptation)

10 hours ago, Megan said:

She tries to go back to Taichen Palace but Feng Jiu stops her. And Dong Hua doesn’t even try that hard to keep her around.

To say that it's Feng Jiu who stopped the amnesty for Zhi He is categorically incorrect. She doesn't have that kind of authority in Jiuchongtian - it is in Tianjun's power to grant or deny reprieves or clemencies, regardless of whoever's views.

Note that in the book, that pardon for Zhi He was supposed to be a favour to Dong Hua by Tianjun, in response to the wagging tongues' recounting of DH "saving his foster sister" from the Chiyan beast.

Neither did Feng Jiu and Bai Qian say that Zhi He has not earned the right to come back. Implied, yes, but formally stated, no.

Whereas for Ji Heng, Feng Jiu directly informed her not to try serving as a Tai Chen palace maid. That would be a closer fit to the "going back to Tai Chen palace but Feng Jiu stops her".

Zhi He was with DH as foster sister. JH has also been around DH plenty enough times and once lived too in Tai Chen Palace.

If Dong Hua asked Zhi He to leave, it's because she's still an exile. He is being just, and it is in deference to Tianjun as Jiuchongtian ruler.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Would you rather:

1) learn music from Dong Hua or dancing from Feng Jiu?

2) Endure a tea lecture by Jiheng or cook fish with Zhihe? Both are about the same duration...

3) eat toffee foxes or sorrowless cakes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Would you rather:

2) Endure a tea lecture by Jiheng or cook fish with Zhihe? Both are about the same duration...

1. Music. Long after the limbs can't move anymore to dance, one can still play music.

2. Neither. Not a fan of preparing tea even if I drink it. Since when did Zhi He actually cook? I'll take her class if she demonstrates cooking a new recipe of fish dish.

3. Dong Hua "would" spare a piece? :lol: Sorrowless pastry coz I prefer cakes over candies.

• Like 2

Question:

When Jiheng confesses her feelings to Xiao Yan, she describe her obsession with Dong Hua as changing who she is for someone else. The only time I can see her changing her “sweet” personality is when she keeps sabotaging DongFeng! Though I’m not sure that is what she meant, how else did she change for Dong Hua out of “love?”

By the by, does anyone know what kind of cakes those sorrowless cakes are called? There are so many kinds of Chinese cakes but I don’t know what to call that sort

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Megan said:

Would you rather:

1. Dancing from Feng Jiu. She seems like she will be  fun teacher. 

2. Tea lecture by Jiheng. At least Jiheng can pretend to be civil. Plus, I don't eat fish :sweatingbullets:

3. Sorrowless cake. The cakes look mouth watering.  Although Vengo mentioned how the food props tasted questionable.

20 hours ago, Megan said:

Would you rather:

1. Cooking. I have yet learn to cook, to my husband's dismay. FJ wouls be a great motivator.

2. Gossip. There would certainly be some interesting gossip floating around! 

3. Educate Xiao Yan. Lian Song is more than capable of wooing Cheng Yu with no help.

13 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Playtime was over when the foster brother demanded that she address him as "His Majesty". :smirk:

One is innocent, while she's guilty of attempting to defraud her former ruler. Zhi He is beyond old enough to be tried and convicted. She is a fool to think DH will plead for her. Looking after someone doesn't extend to shielding from punishments due to crimes committed.

There was no interaction at all after Bingcang. If there was any, she would be expected to congratulate with gracefulness the emperor and his empress.

Zhi He ran off to Tai Chen Palace, drinking and asking everyone why DH married FJ. Finally, Zhong Lin told her that FJ is very good with sword, she can fight, and she's an excellent cook. Something Zhi He has no skills of. Zhong Lin also told her that compared to FJ, Zhi He is ugly. 

That is how she finally felt ashamed of herself and went back on her own to the mountain where she's living while serving her exile.

What Zhonglin said to her was a good wake up call. She was too sheltered and had everything catered to her demand. Hopefully she will self reflect and make some positive changes.

10 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Feng Jiu commented in response to Bai Qian's mock reprimand on why she's smiling that Qing Qiu immortals who broke the laws has to do something meritorious in order to be back in good graces, whereas in Jiuchongtian, talent can accomplish the same. The aunt and niece then "complimented" DH's volunteering to serve that he's doing it for Zhi He's parents and that his love for the foster sister is touching. Thereafter, Tianjun didn't proceed with the supposed pardon for Zhi He.

(***Bai Zhen instead of Bai Qian in adaptation)

To say that it's Feng Jiu who stopped the amnesty for Zhi He is categorically incorrect. She doesn't have that kind of authority in Jiuchongtian - it is in Tianjun's power to grant or deny reprieves or clemencies, regardless of whoever's views.

Note that in the book, that pardon for Zhi He was supposed to be a favour to Dong Hua by Tianjun, in response to the wagging tongues' recounting of DH "saving his foster sister" from the Chiyan beast.

Neither did Feng Jiu and Bai Qian say that Zhi He has not earned the right to come back. Implied, yes, but formally stated, no.

Whereas for Ji Heng, Feng Jiu directly informed her not to try serving as a Tai Chen palace maid. That would be a closer fit to the "going back to Tai Chen palace but Feng Jiu stops her".

Zhi He was with DH as foster sister. JH has also been around DH plenty enough times and once lived too in Tai Chen Palace.

If Dong Hua asked Zhi He to leave, it's because she's still an exile. He is being just, and it is in deference to Tianjun as Jiuchongtian ruler.

I did wonder if seeing FJ's reaction to ZH during the gathering, made DH more motivated to send her away.

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

17 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

What Zhonglin said to her was a good wake up call. She was too sheltered and had everything catered to her demand. Hopefully she will self reflect and make some positive changes.

About time, if she still acts that entitled after centuries of exile. Teaches her the lesson too, to be ready for very frank answers when one asks questionable questions. :lol:

17 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

I did wonder if seeing FJ's reaction to ZH during the gathering, made DH more motivated to send her away

Tianjun was totally wrong to bring up the issue of pardoning Zhi He during that gathering, and for what, due to gossip? :lol: LS and DH knew that too, LOL! 

DH must have been more at ease after ZH was exiled. He's also wise not to fuel her obsessions by keeping her away. Eh, the girl's still possessive of DH and still harbouring some dreams basing from her reactions upon hearing foster brother's marriage.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

17 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

About time, if she still acts that entitled after centuries of exile. Teaches her the lesson too, to be ready for very frank answers when one asks questionable questions. :lol:

Tianjun was totally wrong to bring up the issue of pardoning Zhi He during that gathering, and for what, due to gossip? :lol: LS and DH knew that too, LOL! 

DH must have been more at ease after ZH was exiled. He's also wise not to fuel her obsessions by keeping her away. Eh, the girl's still possessive of DH and still harbouring some dreams basing from her reactions upon hearing foster brother's marriage.

That Tianjun appear to be bad at reading people and situations. 

Makes me wonder if he would be respected, if he did not have a title.

I can't believe how long DH just ignored ZH. I mean, DH isn't responsible for her life, but would ZH be like this if DH did sent her away earlier on? But I guess he had no solid excuse to do it.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

can't believe how long DH just ignored ZH. I mean, DH isn't responsible for her life, but would ZH be like this if DH did sent her away earlier on? But I guess he had no solid excuse to do it.

You can’t believe he ignored her all her life or throughout her exile?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

That Tianjun appear to be bad at reading people and situations. 

Makes me wonder if he would be respected, if he did not have a title.

I can't believe how long DH just ignored ZH. I mean, DH isn't responsible for her life, but would ZH be like this if DH did sent her away earlier on? But I guess he had no solid excuse to do it.

This present Tianjun seems to be too hasty in deciding things. I can admire him though that even his kin will not be spared if they broke rules. 

My view is that Zhi He took advantage way too long of the prestige being the foster sibling of Dong Hua. So she grew spoiled, likely because people DH entrusted her to weren't able to discipline her. DH wasn't around much either - that period of her early years weren't exactly peaceful. It didn't help too that he indulged her. 

Though he did try to teach her something, it was quite late as she already thinks there's no point, he's there looking after her. Situation became worse when her feelings became territorial where he's concerned - she now sees DH in romantic light. Her obsession was her downfall, seeing that she was wilfully committing crimes so that DH becomes her husband.

Thus, there's a need for hard means to discipline and to make her realize her correct place - ZH's not going to be spared punishment even if she's DH's foster sister. That she's still subject to the laws in Jiuchongtian, and Tianjun has no issues enforcing the sentences whoever that immortal is.

In this light, the punishment of exile is the best way forward. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1